• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (USE SPOILER TAGS)

SNTRL

Smash Lord
This game is a tighta** looking game.

I hope the gameplay will be as just. Though the WW cel grahics were ok. These are just beautiful.:love:

I will surely get this title, though many might know that already.

Question: Did Nintendo say anything abour WW2 being only a rumor?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Originally posted by B0r3d*m Alien
I think the fighting system from WW is reminicent in this new Zelda game. Looks very flashy.
Actually IGN and other sources have already said that the game runs on the same battle system.

And no, nothing has been said about Wind Waker 2.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wind Waker 2 was never a rumor. Up until now, it was pretty much assumed to be in development. Nintendo has gone on record saying that there would be a sequel to WW in the same cel-shaded style before they thought about taking the series in a new direction. So this game pretty much contradicts that. No word yet on whether this has replaced WW2, or if WW2 is still in development, seperate rfom this.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Originally posted by Giygas
I doubt Nintendo would be doing that and a sequel to Wind Waker. When IGN said the game wasn't Wind Waker 2, it meant that it wasn't the cel-shaded garbage from the first one, it was an entirely new game (and yes, Wind Waker's graphics are garbage compared to this).

Why is everyone has to give that game so much ****? I just don't understand what the **** ever happened to enjoying a game for what it is. I do agree the game looks better than Wind Waker, but I also have to say the style looks better compared the 64 version.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
They are different styles McFox. Just because its not super uber 3D goodness doesn't make it look like garbage. Gah, god **** shallow *** gamers....

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Disclaimer: The following post is full of my opinion. If you don't agree with it, that's not surprising because you're not me. Therefore, you give up all right to insult me if you read this post. Thank you.

Very mature Misto.

Anyway, you're right Revo. And I'll take back saying Wind Waker's graphics were garbage, but, in MY OPINION, the new one looks about 1000% better.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I agree. WW had excelent graphics, but this.....man. It's like comparing a small pack of chips to a huge pack with coke, fanta, dip, ect. Ther's good and then, well, this.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmmm... news from Gamespot:
Additionally, this game is the same game that Aonuma referred to as "The Wind Waker 2" back at the Game Developers Conference in March. The game won't be called The Wind Waker 2 when it's completed, and won't be a sequel to the last GameCube Zelda game.
So I guess that pretty much confirms that another cel-shaded Zelda is no longer in the cards, which is a shame. I mean, this new style is awesome, but there was something very unique about Wind Waker's graphics... I was really looking forward to another game with that style. Oh well, if it will mean more time spent on developing this beauty, I suppose it will be worth the sacrafice ;)

Post Script: There's a nice interview up on IGN now containing the afforementioned info and a few other nice tid bits. It's long, so I'm not going to post it all here. Just click the link (no pun intended) already:
http://cube.ign.com/articles/514/514589p1.html

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Originally posted by Kid Icarus
Epona may not be Epona :crazy: ...
NOooooo we need epona. She is so cool. *epona's song sniff*:)
I wonder how they mean to implement this the series lets not forget Hyrule was attacked by ganon and no hero was there in ww. So how will this game fit in. I'm really curious but I also hope they wil take as long as they can to make everything owk and make it a good long epic adventure and make it worty of Ocarina of time and the zelda series in general. :D

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nice, I always like to hear the crowd reactions and the audio got messed up around that time in IGN's video.

That gave me goose bumps...

Lol, we're such geeks. ;)

EDIT: I added that video to the first post.

HeroOfTime

BRoomer
BRoomer
That was just as good as watching it the first time. :D Goosebumps galore.

If Nintendo released a Master Sword and Hylian Shield replica set, I would so buy it. XD

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Originally posted by Giygas
Nice, I always like to hear the crowd reactions and the audio got messed up around that time in IGN's video.
I know, I wanted to hear how people were reacting!

I have the first real video shown of SSBM, the actual video, and then a camcorder video in the conference room, where you can hear everyone cheering their favorite characters. Link got the biggest reaction, followed closely by Samus :D.

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Is it possilbe for someone to just die of absoulte excitement and joy? Just from the screens and vids alone this game is going to absolutely kick @$$ at E3!! I hope it comes out soon. So far Oot, Majora's and WW have all been quality gaming experiences, lets hope the trends keeps up. It looks like there are some new aspects to the game like horseback fighting....hmmmm, if you will all excuse me, i need to get a towel to clean up all of my drool.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Epona helped us, and now she's dead. I hope we find that the new horse is a decendant of Epona. I can't think how we'd know though.....

annoying jammez

Donut
BRoomer
I gotta admit, those graphics are really good!

But then, I don't really like it. I never really saw Zelda as a game that would be really detailed and evil and dark. In almost all games, there was a cute and cuddlyish part, and that kinda held it together sometimes! Like, when you jumped off of a ledge into complete darkness, it was funny because you just appeared back at the door, or you were thrown out, or something. This one looks like Link'll have an arm torn off and a broken nose when he comes back from a bottomless pit! It was a load of fun to just play around with link, making him roll headfirst into a wall over and over, but I think this new one won't have the same experiences! I don't want the Zelda universe to look ANGRY and like Lord of the Rings or some other ANGRY game.

I guess we'll see when it comes out! Maybe it'll be really good, and I'll be wrong. I don't really mind either way

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
A non-Epona horse would make sense though, wouldn't it? I mean, if this is an older WW Link, and WW took place a long time after OoT, then why would Epona still even be alive? You've gotten along fine without her in almost every other Zelda game.
Has Nintendo actually said that this game is the sequel to the WW? From the trailer, it looks exactly like OOT Hyrule, but with better graphics. I'm thinking that it's probably a sequel to OOT and MM, unless Nintendo has said otherwise.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Well it could be a totally new Zelda branch as well.

It could be a sequel to many of the other Zelda games (due to Link's adulthood).

I haven't seen anyone saying that this will be a WW sequel, only that it'll run on a modified WW engine.

My bet is that it's a whole new Zelda or sequel to OoT/MM.

Rainy Day Toast

Stays Crunchy in Milk
BRoomer
omgomgomgomgomg

I can't believe I missed this thread for so long.

Lately, Nintendo's been giving me more geek orgasms than my girlfriend gives me real ones.

Holy **** i want this now gimmegimmegimmegimme.

Ace(Fox)

Smash Ace
AHHHHHH! Not only Starfox, but Zelda too!?!?!?!? This is going to be great! I must tell my freinds who have no doubt not heard the big news. This is going to be great! Now I definetely HAVE to get a cube!!!!!!

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Y'know, I really thought I was over videogames, I didn't think I'd get excited about much.

At first I also thought the graphics were TOO realistic, and not fantastical at all. But I watched the trailer, and it looks fun enough to overcome any doubts I have.

Along with all the other stuff coming out, I feel like I did before the Gamecube came out: Like a nerdhead!

But that's mainly because OoT is the greatest game ever. Really.
And I don't think Shigeru has it in him to make a really serious game.

EDIT: Oh, can anyone tell me what he said in his speech after the Zelda Trailer? With the not-so-good quality and his accent, I could only make out "Link can't stop moving" or somethin.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
He was just really there to rub in the fact that they were showing Zelda. I know he said "This is Link!" and then a little something afterwards along with what you mentioned, LT, but other than that he just said "I must go now, goodbye!" and walked off the stage.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Yes I can. It went mostly like this.
.------------------------------------------
I am not link but a do know him.
Through out 18 years the legend of zelda never stopped changing.
And that change is not about to stop.
We are now taking you into a world were link has grown up.
A game were he will act different, and look different (smiles).
In order to change link must not stand to you(or something I'm still trying to figure this one out :p)
and neither can I.
So thank you. ( slashes sword)
And goodbye
(slashes sword again only this time no sound so he put his thump up and raises it to the special effect guy, my guess, and then he redoes the slash with the sound. After walking to the end of the stage he makes one more extra slash with no sound :D)
Shigsy rulez and his speeches rule :D.
Note how japanese prononce the wordt different and say the "T" so hard :p. Also he prounounced Zelda so graciously :D.
Yeah I am a hard core zelda fan ;)

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
"I'm not Link, but I know him.[...] In order to grow Link must move, and so must I" (yada yada)

The truth is that Shiggy saw Reggie writing down his name on his list. Miyamoto-san knew had to flee unless he wanted his *ss kicked by Reggie (yes that Sword and Shield would be eaten by Reggie)

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
these fields are optional but will enhance your on
Well, I suppose that technically nobody has said that this is a direct WW sequel. I was just guessing. People were referring to it as WW2 while in development (as stated in the interview KI posted). I could be wrong, but it's not like one Link is better than another Link. It's just Link, man. He's cool either way.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
D*mn it IGN saw the new extended 2min trailer but weren't allowed to film it.

Impressions:

May 14, 2004 - It's the last day of the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2004. Just a couple of hours left until the event shuts its doors and the construction crews begin to dissemble the glitzy displays by hundreds of publishers and developers. And -- sitting in a small, white room behind closed doors at Nintendo's booth -- we can hardly contain ourselves. After much pestering, the company has agreed to demo to us the much talked about (but never shown) extended Legend of Zelda GameCube trailer, which runs almost two and a half minutes in length (as opposed to the publicly released one, at about a minute).

There are no cameras or microphones allowed. A Nintendo representative inserts one of only three existing DVDs (all tracked by producers Shigeru Miyamoto and Eiji Aonuma themselves) with the extended footage on them. The video begins to play and we watch, amazed. When it's all over, we ask to watch it again. And then one more time. And another time still. The extended cut, which shows off never-before-seen areas in the game as well as more of Link's abilities, only reinforces our previous opinion of the anticipated action-adventure. It is, put simply, totally kick ***.
The trailer opens on the red-hued sky, clouds swimming by in the distance, the sun shimmering with a real-time heat warp effect, as mounted riders approach from the horizon. They're Bokoblins and there appear to be about 25 of them. Some are on foot and others are riding boars -- two per beast. And these aren't of the pink, cel-shaded type, either. They look mean. The camera pans by and we can see their horned heads and their red eyes. They look ready for war. And that, it seems, is exactly where they're going. Suddenly they all charge ahead, the riders galloping and the on-foot soldiers ferociously wobbling. The animation is fluid and realistic.

Original orchestrated music plays -- entirely different from the music in the publicly released trailers. It sounds Zelda-like, but it's nothing we've heard before. It could be part of the game's score. Naturally, it sounds great.

The scene cuts to Link as he rides away from a castle on horseback. He looks fantastic. As he races away, the camera pans over and shoots the hero from a downward position, showing the sky in the background. It's dark outside. It's clear that there will be a detailed day and night system in the game. Torches flicker by on the sides. Stars shine in the background and the moon hangs over everything, illuminating it.

Another location. Link could be in the Lost Woods. The scene switches again and the hero sits atop his horse on a hill, rain pouring down all around him. It seems certain that the game will employ a deep weather system. A group of small, friendly dogs surround his horse, which may or may not be the legendary Epona, according to Eiji Aonuma.

Next, we catch our first real glimpse of the reported top-down view in dungeons. Link appears to explore a Fire Temple. Flames flank the perimeter of a room. The camera shoots the action from a ceiling viewpoint so that it's very easy to see much of the level. It flawlessly pans in for a close-up behind-the-back view when Link engages in battles and then changes dynamically again when he approaches an object. Very dynamic and polished view points. Link first walks across a metal walkway, suspended a few feet above the ground floor. As he pushes a stone block, we can see the subtle lighting and self-shadowing effects upon his face, the incredibly crisp and realistic texture skins that make up his costume, and the fluid animation that makes him move silky smooth. It even looks like his suit features some degree of real-time cloth physics, though it could just be solid animation. To top everything off, Link's shadow is projected around him. Gone are the days of circle shadows. Link also squares off with the same Moblin seen in the official trailer, as he slashes at the hulking beast, the creature's drool flies through the air.

A medley of scenes is unveiled. They show Link engaged in battle with a group of Lizalfos and the back-flips away from them with his sword in hand. The Lizalfos don't all look the same. We spotted one with a bone helmet and another one with shimmering steel armor plates on his head. Next, Link creeps through a forest slowly and a new type of creature falls from one of the trees -- an almost blob-like black creature with an animated, pulsating skin texture. The creature attempts to hit lash out at Link and the hero blocks the oncoming attack with a flick of his sword. It seems as though Link might be able to counter with his weapon when he's not using his shield. The forest is once in the middle of the day with light beams falling through the canopy and also at dusk, with fireflies whirring about in the air. A quick familiar sequence shows Link blocking fire arrows shot at him -- and some burning stray arrows actually stick in the trees around him. In the next scene, Link fights two characters at a time and a torch's heat shimmer warps the foreground. In the background, the classic Zelda clay pots, more torches and a large flaming metal bowl. Real-time lighting effects illuminate the characters' edges and spars fly in all directions as their swords crash together.

Next, new footage of Link riding his horse. He walks it slowly. We can see the detail on the animal. Its reigns are modeled and animated. Link halts the horse, pulls back on the reigns and it rears on its legs. The maneuver pleases everyone watching. Link can also dismount his horse, which also looks great. In a related scene, Link races his horse ahead of trailing enemies. They ride boars and fire arrows after him. One of them swings a heavy looking morning star. Link holds out his sword horizontally and races onward. In the next sequence, Link rides around and chops enemies off their boars. He manages to knock an entire group from their animals by running through it with his sword slung out. A quick scene has Link on foot, facing at least four mounted boars speeding toward him.

Next cut. Link fights the giant fire boss, who towers tens of feet above the hero and is surrounded by lighting effects. The boss character is bound in chains, which are heated and dirty, and it uses them as a weapon. Next, Link stands from a ledge in a dungeon. He draws his sword and leaps down to the ground floor, his blade outstretched. He lands directly in front of an enemy, his sword crashing into it.

In the next cut, Link rides his horse through a lake, the water shimmering and reflecting realistically. He shoots fire arrows. And the two-minute presentation ends with the same money shot of Link posing that graced the publicly released trailer.

The entire display knocked our socks off. The Legend of Zelda's new look shook E3 and after seeing more elements of the game in motion we're convinced that it's going to take the franchise to new heights, inside and out.

2005, where are you?

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'd like to know what IGN or whoever else saw it thought of the top-down dungeon perspective. While it does switch to a more 3D view when you enter a battle, I'm not sure if I like the top-down idea for the rest of the dungeons. Sure, it will be cool to see that kind of play on GameCube, but I'd rather they stick to the old-school Zeldas for that.

I'm used to the dungeons of OOT/MM/WW and I guess I'm spoiled. But as long as Nintendo makes it playable and awesome (which I'm sure they will), I'll be happy.

I wish I could see the extended trailer...

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Originally posted by Ryuker
In order to change link must not stand to you(or something I'm still trying to figure this one out :p)
It's:

Shiggzy
In order to change, Link must not stand still.
He's a bit heavy on the accent, but I'm pretty sure that's what he said.

Extended trailer sounds great. Wish they could've filmed it :(

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'd like to know what IGN or whoever else saw it thought of the top-down dungeon perspective. While it does switch to a more 3D view when you enter a battle, I'm not sure if I like the top-down idea for the rest of the dungeons. Sure, it will be cool to see that kind of play on GameCube, but I'd rather they stick to the old-school Zeldas for that.

I'm used to the dungeons of OOT/MM/WW and I guess I'm spoiled.
Personally I thought that the 3D perspective occasionally got in the way of solving some of the dungeon puzzles, most frequently in OoT. I think using the overhead view will give the game a very classic feel, and I'm looking forward to it.

Top Bottom