• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Korra

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Okay, screw waiting till next week. Here we go.
stuff
Not only do I agree to all, I think there's more to be added to the list. 11&12 were good, could have thrown in an avatar slice and let the season end there before things obviously got into "we don't know what to write as an ending since we came up with this entire season in a year...so pacific rim cause upping the stakes makes generic endings better right?" I liked dark avatar idea though I'd like to hear Unalaq's motivation, he seemed to think he had the moral high ground, him being power hungry would have sufficed. When I heard the season was called Spirits I had imagined we'd see a plot twist villain like Unalaq, that he'd be the one that taught Amon and had the ability to enter the spirit world, and would try to become the avatar cause giving a child almighty power seems like an awful system as it is, would have figured he'd critique it with some sort of "you should earn it" mentality and then take it forcefully. And it was pretty similar to what I expected and I really liked Unalaq and Vaato until the giant fight, definite cop out.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't post in this thread often but I do wonder one thing.

Will the connections to the past Avatars ever be put back together? I would hope so. Roku and Kyoshi were pretty interesting in the first series. Kyoshi didn't get all that much screen time though. So being able to learn about these other character was a big plus for me. Kind of like they never did really die in a sense.

I can see the next big villain being a spirit. And another flashback episode of an older Aang would be cool too. He was rather interesting, having a pacifist for a younger protagonist isn't all that common.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Based on the interview I linked above...the team seems to imply that Korra is going to be her own person going forward. Technically speaking, it does create problems though. Imagine if Korra gets into a rut and no one knows anything. She would have to find a way to turn to her past lives...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I can see that being a issue. Not the moving forward part, that's fine. But being unable to learn from history(especially from horse's mouth of one's past lives)can get a hero in trouble. Be it from an ancient threat or a new threat that happens to be similar to an old one. That seems like something that the season might actually look into.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Immediate > prospective imo.

It wouldn't be moral to not save someone at the moment in order to possibly save more people in the future. If both threats were immediate, then that would be a different story. Like if Unalaq was telling her to enter the launch code for a nuclear bomb.
Immediate > prospective imo.

It wouldn't be moral to not save someone at the moment in order to possibly save more people in the future. If both threats were immediate, then that would be a different story. Like if Unalaq was telling her to enter the launch code for a nuclear bomb.

I can sympathize with that viewpoint but at the same time you're still gambling the fate of the world for just one person's life. But if I put myself in Korra's shoes and had the chance to save someone I really cared about I'd probably do the same so I don't even know why I said what I did in the first place.

Overall I enjoyed the finale... Yeah there were a lot of plot holes and silly cop outs but overall I enjoyed it for what it was. There's stuff that I would like to criticize but then I remember that even The Last Airbender had its faults. Plus it was MUCH better than season one's finale.

Can't wait for Book 3. :)

EDIT: No matter what happens in Book 3 there NEEDS to be more Verick.

I don’t regret watching this season to the end and I will keep watching Korra as it’s still an enjoyable series with great animation, but the hope that the quality of the story, humor and dialogues will finally reach exceed the level of the Aang series is finally gone for me.
I came to this conclusion quite a while ago, and the sooner I did the more enjoyable the series became as a whole, because it forced me to stop focusing on why it's inferior to TLA and instead allowed me to enjoy it for what it is... More Avatar!

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Varrick was the most consistently amazing part of this season, and probably a large reason why I enjoyed it as much as I did.

I didn't like some things about this season, but Varrick and the Avatar Wan episodes made up for all of that.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Was finally able to catch up on book 2, and came here to talk all the things I liked, and the ending i'm not entirely comfortable with, but this thread really just destroys my buzz. I feel like I'm in a political gathering for the wrong party.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Was finally able to catch up on book 2, and came here to talk all the things I liked, and the ending i'm not entirely comfortable with, but this thread really just destroys my buzz. I feel like I'm in a political gathering for the wrong party.

Too much negativity?

Regardless you should post your thoughts this thread could use some more discussion.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Meh. First I feel I have to get this out of the way.

Can we just stop comparing LoK and ATLA outright? Minus them being helmed in the same universe, they're almost completely different shows. They each have their own pros, and their own cons. Some different, some the same.

ATLA was far from perfect. Aang and Zuko's voice actors were awful (and Zuko's voice actor is still awful in Korra). 80% of the show was throwaway filler fluff, and before book 3 there was little to no character development. I assume the creators went in to storyboard the last season and went, "Holy ****. We're 2 seasons in and Aang is still the blithe little boy he was in the beginning. He's only months away from fighting the battle that will ultimately destroy or save the world, and he's still more preoccupied with riding penguin turtles than figuring out how he's going to learn firebending. While Zuko has shown other emotions besides RELENTLESS MANPAIN a grand total of 2 times throughout these entire 44 episodes and we're practically writing Sokka's jokes on autopilot now." This show had a lot of flaws, as is, I guess, to be expected for a show with a key demographic that it had, but we were able to overlook those thing for the ultimately enjoyable experience that it was.

I don't mind having some problems with the show. I definitely have some of my own, but can we just enjoy the show that we're watching? Because honestly it looks as if some of the people in this thread are only watching it at this point to accrue more things to complain about. And that's really not the kind of atmosphere that I want to be a part of.

I realize that this all sounds very ******, and there's probably a better way I could've worded it but at this point I've accepted the fact that even when I'm trying to be nice I'm still going to come off as a douche. So I apologize if I have offended anyone. My goal in this is not to deter anyone from the show or this thread, but to possibly reroute some of the energy of the discussions to hopefully have a more communal experience.

Huff. Now on to Korra...

Beginnings episodes were great. Definitely the highlight of this season.

Eska, Desna, Varrick are all awesome. The show's take on Varrick's character right now is particularly odd, though. He's clearly depicted as doing some awful things, but the way he has been portrayed puts him more in the moral grey area, I think. You don't get the sense that he's a bad guy, even near the end. It's interesting, and I hope they expand on this in the future.

The additions to the whole avatar mythology this season introduced were nice, though not fully explored. Which might have been purposeful, so the viewers could come to their own conclusions or what other creative license garbage.

Korra/Mako was a very realistic portrayal of a couple who both deeply care for the other but can't work together romantically. Coming from a show that's aimed for mostly kids/teens, I was impressed. Their mutual breakup was an extremely powerful moment and I didn't expect it to work out like that at all. I expected more angst and love triangles and blah blah blah. I can't express how grateful I am that I don't have to sit through that for another season.

I can't remember which one exactly but there was a fight scene near the end that I really enjoyed.

Kya is great. Lisa Edelstein is doing a better job at voicing her than I expected.

The ending. I think it's cool how Korra decided to keep the portals open. I look forward to watching spirits and humans try to work together. I'm really miffed at Korra losing her connection to the past avatars though. I don't think that was necessary at all. Why can't she be her own person without disowning her past lives? Hundreds of other avatars did it before her. The whole 'learning who you are' subplot was a really nice touch until that happened.

There were probably more things but I forgot them.

Blueberry Spicehead is still the best character.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
You're right. We shouldn't compare TLoK to A:TLA.

Korra is a mediocre show all on its own.

I mean, my god the pacing was still horrible even when they had 2 more episodes to work with. And they dedicated (or waste however you look at it) those 2 episodes to an entirely different character. And somehow HIS STORY was decently paced. All of the pacing problems that plague book 1 still exists in book 2. Too much focus on subplots with the main plot being rushed to conclusion by the end.

The season finale also falls flat on its face. Korra is, once again, upset that she's "not the Avatar" anymore. We just had her moan about "not being the Avatar" in Book 1. And Tenzin somehow knows about the Tree of Time. But had no clue that their world's Satan was trapped in it for 10,000 years? And Jinora somehow finding Raava was a dues ex machina. I read somewhere that it was because she found remnants of Raava in Wan's teacup, but the show doesn't explain that. She just comes out of nowhere and give Titan Korra the light. When you have to read supplementary material to understand a major plot point, that's not good writing.

As for the characters:

The creators claimed that Korra grew as a person at the end of Book 1. But the beginning and the climax of Book 2 shown that's not the case. She still rushes in problems, get angry at people when things don't go her way, and is immediately complacent when someone so much as compliments her and tell her she's awesome (and that's the only smart thing Unalaq did as a villain). I mean, people like to say that she's in the right to be mad at her and Tenzin for locking her away from the world. But that doesn't explain why she was *****y to Tenzin before she found out about that. All of that plus the fact that she becomes depressed (yet again) when she's "not the Avatar" anymore. Her hotheadedness is not what makes her a bad character as Raphael, Knuckles, and Rainbow Dash are all great characters. But it really made her character all over the place when the plot demands it. And at the end of the season when she wants to leave the spirit portals open... why? Because Unalaq, the man who tried to destroy the world, said that humans and spirits should exist? From what we've seen of the Spirit World, a lot of spirits don't think highly of humanity. Not to mention the spirits almost wiped out the human race the last time they were on Earth in masses.

Bolin. Man Bolin. There's being the comic relief. And then there's just being sad. People like to claim that Bolin is this show's Sokka. But that's simply not true. When slapstick and wacky situations happened to Sokka, it was mostly due to his own actions. And even then, he had more than humor to contribute to the show. I can't say the same for Bolin. It felt like his character was just.... there to be dragged along and have tomatoes thrown at him. He gets stuck in an abusive relationship that we're suppose to laugh at (if the genders the switch we wouldn't be laughing) Like Korra, his character is also all over the place. He says he has trouble reading people. But that contradicts the fact that he's more social than his brother and that he knew how to keep the crowd's attention in Peacekeepers. And then he's somehow so emotionally childish, he confuses reality and his movie character. Sure he gets a crowning moment of awesome. But he learns nothing after that.

Asami.... Ugh. The writers don't know what to do with her anymore honestly. Her own subplot about saving her company was basically hijacked by Mako to give him some relevance after the breakup. And then the return of Teh Love Triangle™ just made her look pathetic.

Ironically, Mako was not the worst character being for once. Too bad, the rest of Team Avatar had to dragged down to do so.

Unalaq..... yeah. What were his motivations for doing the things he did. He's like Amon in a sense you think you're getting a 3 dimensional villain but in the end you get a mustache twirling villain instead. And unlike Amon, Unalaq is not interesting. We never find out why he did the things that he did. We never knew why he wanted to frame his brother. It could be anything ranging from jealously to concern for his nation to wanting revenge for Tonraq stealing his smut. We never know why he sides with Vaatu.

Desna and Eska were poorly written as well. Especially Desna. He was nothing more than a prop, honestly. So he shown no concern when his sister was left at the altar? Sure he questions his father from time to time but that leads nowhere. Eska's problem is that she perpetuates the double standard that female abuser/male victim is teh funny. lulz

And even in death, Aang was dragged through the mud. You mean the guy who values all life play favorites with his kids? If this isn't true, why are Bumi and Kya still holding grudges about it? And if it is true why didn't Katara ever tell Aang that he was playing favorites. And since he's dead, we won't have any proper conclusion to this. This also makes Tenzin looks like he have mental issues if he remembered his siblings being on those field trips despite them never being there. This honestly felt more like forced drama. There could have been another (i.e. better) reason to have the siblings butt heads.

Ignoring all of that, you can't say people shouldn't compare the two shows together, when Korra gives us Iroh, Iroh 2, Lin, who's a daughter of Toph, and the allusion of meeting Zuko's daughter

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
You're right. We shouldn't compare TLoK to A:TLA.
Ignoring all of that, you can't say people shouldn't compare the two shows together, when Korra gives us Iroh, Iroh 2, Lin, who's a daughter of Toph, and the allusion of meeting Zuko's daughter
I don't have time to reply to all of that right now but I couldn't help point out the irony in this.

Those are allusions, and besides Spirit Iroh, all of the ones you listed are fairly vague. These are employed in any sort of media, but they're the most common form for this show because, like I said, both shows are helmed in the same universe. Of course you're going to have a few similarities. But if the most memorable ones you can name off the top of your head have to do with characters having the same last name, I think that actually supports my point more than yours.

It's really not much different to Deadpool comics referencing Lord of the Rings or Batman.

Oh woops... I forgot about this thread. I'll get to the full reply some time soon. Maybe after new years.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Okay, let's do this ****! New post because nobody would notice this if I did it with the same one.

I mean, my god the pacing was still horrible even when they had 2 more episodes to work with. And they dedicated (or waste however you look at it) those 2 episodes to an entirely different character. And somehow HIS STORY was decently paced. All of the pacing problems that plague book 1 still exists in book 2. Too much focus on subplots with the main plot being rushed to conclusion by the end.
I don't even think there really was a main plot? There were three subplots that merged into one at the end. They were kind of randomly thrown together at the end, but they all had similar themes and that's not uncommon for a show to do, to have multiple stories working at the same time with similar elements. There was a lot of character development/world building in the subplots too, and that's definitely just as important as moving the story along (sometimes even more important, imo). I would've been more miffed if they had just forgotten about the rest of the gang while Korra was doing her own thing.

The beginnings episodes were also part of the overarching plot. They weren't just a standalone thing; the ending wouldn't have made sense without them.

The pacing was, overall fine for the amount of episodes they were given to work with. I personally love the fact that there are no filler episodes.

The season finale also falls flat on its face. Korra is, once again, upset that she's "not the Avatar" anymore. We just had her moan about "not being the Avatar" in Book 1.

The creators claimed that Korra grew as a person at the end of Book 1. But the beginning and the climax of Book 2 shown that's not the case. She still rushes in problems, get angry at people when things don't go her way, and is immediately complacent when someone so much as compliments her and tell her she's awesome (and that's the only smart thing Unalaq did as a villain). I mean, people like to say that she's in the right to be mad at her and Tenzin for locking her away from the world. But that doesn't explain why she was *****y to Tenzin before she found out about that. All of that plus the fact that she becomes depressed (yet again) when she's "not the Avatar" anymore. Her hotheadedness is not what makes her a bad character as Raphael, Knuckles, and Rainbow Dash are all great characters. But it really made her character all over the place when the plot demands it. And at the end of the season when she wants to leave the spirit portals open... why? Because Unalaq, the man who tried to destroy the world, said that humans and spirits should exist? From what we've seen of the Spirit World, a lot of spirits don't think highly of humanity. Not to mention the spirits almost wiped out the human race the last time they were on Earth in masses.
Lumping these together because they're the same thing.

This point really kind of offends me, actually. It sounds like you're expecting her to change overnight, and that is not going to happen. She's maturing, but that doesn't mean she's going to become an entirely new person immediately (nobody would like that if that happened). Some of her decisions were rash, because that's who she is, but she also showed a lot of restraint and responsibility, and I don't think you're giving her nearly enough credit for that.

She didn't whine about not being the avatar, she whined about losing the connection to her past selves, which is a pretty damn big deal and is definitely something worth being frustrated over.

Her character was "all over the place" because she ran into lots of different kinds of situation and she's obviously going do react accordingly (read: differently).

She kept the portals open because she's the avatar, and it's her duty to keep the worlds in balance. What better way to do that then by making them work together? The worlds almost destroyed other, and then the avatar stopped it from happening.

Huh, how about that?

And Tenzin somehow knows about the Tree of Time. But had no clue that their world's Satan was trapped in it for 10,000 years?
The tree of time has been around for much longer than he was imprisoned in there. Tenzin's information about the spirit world has come entirely from a small sample of people who were able to enter it, including Aang. It's not unreasonable none of them ever came across Vaatu. Especially considering the portals were kind of, forbidden territory, so to speak.

And Jinora somehow finding Raava was a dues ex machina. I read somewhere that it was because she found remnants of Raava in Wan's teacup, but the show doesn't explain that. She just comes out of nowhere and give Titan Korra the light. When you have to read supplementary material to understand a major plot point, that's not good writing.
I agree with this. That was pretty weird. Probably my biggest problem with this season.

Bolin. Man Bolin. There's being the comic relief. And then there's just being sad. People like to claim that Bolin is this show's Sokka. But that's simply not true. When slapstick and wacky situations happened to Sokka, it was mostly due to his own actions. And even then, he had more than humor to contribute to the show. I can't say the same for Bolin. It felt like his character was just.... there to be dragged along and have tomatoes thrown at him. He gets stuck in an abusive relationship that we're suppose to laugh at (if the genders the switch we wouldn't be laughing) Like Korra, his character is also all over the place. He says he has trouble reading people. But that contradicts the fact that he's more social than his brother and that he knew how to keep the crowd's attention in Peacekeepers. And then he's somehow so emotionally childish, he confuses reality and his movie character. Sure he gets a crowning moment of awesome. But he learns nothing after that.
I personally, had no problem with Bolin's comedy.

I think the gender thing is unfair. We were laughing because of the specific situations, how Bolin kind of got himself in that mess in the first place, and his reactions to Eska's behavior. I think, if the genders were switched, you would have to change a couple small elements to make it work as well, but the only people who would be yelling about it being unfair are the crazy feminist extremists and tumblr social justice warriors who already complain about everything anyway.

Reading people is different than being a people person. And more specifically, someone can be the upbeat keep people excited person without being good at emotions deep stuff. They're two different skillsets, and having one doesn't necessarily require the other.

I think the reality/movie character thing was more that he felt they had just good chemistry offscreen that it would naturally translate on screen. Though that's just my interpretation, and you're welcome to think whatever you want of the situation.

Asami.... Ugh. The writers don't know what to do with her anymore honestly. Her own subplot about saving her company was basically hijacked by Mako to give him some relevance after the breakup. And then the return of Teh Love Triangle™ just made her look pathetic.
I somewhat agree with this. I think she reacted well to the situations she was in, but yeah, those situations were super generic and even a little sexist, tbh.

My feeling on love triangles in general have already been made more than clear.

Unalaq..... yeah. What were his motivations for doing the things he did. He's like Amon in a sense you think you're getting a 3 dimensional villain but in the end you get a mustache twirling villain instead. And unlike Amon, Unalaq is not interesting. We never find out why he did the things that he did. We never knew why he wanted to frame his brother. It could be anything ranging from jealously to concern for his nation to wanting revenge for Tonraq stealing his smut. We never know why he sides with Vaatu.
I hate this argument, with a burning passion. It's funny that people get villains who simply want to rule the world COUGH the firelord COUGH COUGH HICCOUGH COUGHITY COUGH COUGH, and that's completely fine. No questions asked. There is not one batting of an eyelash, but you add a little depth to their motives and suddenly "idk what this villain wants."

Unalaq was actually a more complex character than Amon. Amon was basically the generic "rule the world" trope with a dash of vindictive vigilante trope. Unalaq's motivations were rule the world trope with wanting to change the world (for the better, imo), because he legitimately believed he was doing the right thing. He thought that the world would be better with spirits and humans together, because that's how it was to begin with.

That seems like a fine character to me. Actually, more than fine. Unalaq is one of the most interesting villains I've seen in a while.

Desna and Eska were poorly written as well. Especially Desna. He was nothing more than a prop, honestly. So he shown no concern when his sister was left at the altar? Sure he questions his father from time to time but that leads nowhere. Eska's problem is that she perpetuates the double standard that female abuser/male victim is teh funny. lulz
Okay, are you seriously defending Eska behavior around Bolin? He shouldn't have shown concern for Bolin breaking up with her. That was one of the more rational things he did.

After the twins have spent so much time with their father, they're not going to just up and leave him. They're unwaveringly loyal to him, but that's a believable character trait (stockholm syndrome), not a mistakes on the writer's part.

And even in death, Aang was dragged through the mud. You mean the guy who values all life play favorites with his kids? If this isn't true, why are Bumi and Kya still holding grudges about it? And if it is true why didn't Katara ever tell Aang that he was playing favorites. And since he's dead, we won't have any proper conclusion to this. This also makes Tenzin looks like he have mental issues if he remembered his siblings being on those field trips despite them never being there. This honestly felt more like forced drama. There could have been another (i.e. better) reason to have the siblings butt heads.
This pisses me off too. Nobody's perfect, parenting is hard and basically everyone ever ****s it up. And everyone, likewise, has issues with their parents. Aang shouldn't be held to higher standards simply because he can talk to spirits and can control multiple elements.

That's all I'm saying on this topic, literally. If you bring it up again I'm ignoring it, because this is just all around a pretty ****ed up argument to make.

Overall I think you're trying to hold avatars up to too high standards, they're really not much different than the normal person.

Which is, ironically, one of the themes present in LoK.

Last edited:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Lumping these together because they're the same thing.

This point really kind of offends me, actually. It sounds like you're expecting her to change overnight, and that is not going to happen. She's maturing, but that doesn't mean she's going to become an entirely new person immediately (nobody would like that if that happened).
It wasn't overnight. It was 6 months between each seasons!

6 months

And after 6 months, she was still *****y to Tenzin, who's basically her surrogate father, and didn't want to hear anything from him.

It repeats the same mistake like in Book 1. She does something stupid, she pouts, and then she somehow still hasn't a thing following the next episode.

Some of her decisions were rash, because that's who she is,
The problem is that she never suffer from her actions.

but she also showed a lot of restraint and responsibility, and I don't think you're giving her nearly enough credit for that.
Threatening a judge to overturn a verdict you don't like and then sticking his head into a large animal's mouth is restraint? Kicking over your boyfriend's desk in a fit of rage is restraint? Using the Avatar State to beat a bunch of grade school children in a race is responsibility? Trying to guilt a President into war by crying that your family is in trouble is responsibility?

She didn't whine about not being the avatar, she whined about losing the connection to her past selves, which is a pretty damn big deal and is definitely something worth being frustrated over.
Why? It's not like she ever bothered to heed advice from her past lives.

And still, more or less, it was Korra having an identity issue like she did in Book 1

Her character was "all over the place" because she ran into lots of different kinds of situation and she's obviously going do react accordingly (read: differently).
When I meant all over the place, I mean Korra's judgement flip flops more than a politician due to her black and white mentality. First she places her complete faith Unalaq and she wants to the North and South to be united. And when she realized that Unalaq was a villain, she suddenly doesn't want unification with North. Umm why? Yeah Unalaq is scum but that shouldn't automatically mean she should oppose unification (And I mean actual unification. Not imperialism like Unalaq was doing) It even shows when he she assumed that it was Northerners who bombed that building even when told otherwise

But then speaking of which, Korra got huffy with her father and Tenzin because she felt they controlled every aspect of her life without her permission. The problem is that until the reveal of Unalaq being EVEL, she pretty much looked the other way when the North controlled every aspect of the South.

She kept the portals open because she's the avatar, and it's her duty to keep the worlds in balance. What better way to do that then by making them work together? The worlds almost destroyed other, and then the avatar stopped it from happening.

Huh, how about that?
They won't work together. The spirits will just overpower humanity with ease. Especially since they did it before. Not to mention with spirits like Koh the Face Stealer running around.

Also, you still ignored the fact that the spirits overall, hate humanity. And the spirits that don't hate humans are like lower tiered than Melee Kirby.

The tree of time has been around for much longer than he was imprisoned in there. Tenzin's information about the spirit world has come entirely from a small sample of people who were able to enter it, including Aang.
And WHEN was this alluded in the show?

It's not unreasonable none of them ever came across Vaatu. Especially considering the portals were kind of, forbidden territory, so to speak.
So WHY did no one bother to warn anyone about Vaatu? And if they did, why wasn't it alluded in the show.

I think the gender thing is unfair. We were laughing because of the specific situations, how Bolin kind of got himself in that mess in the first place, and his reactions to Eska's behavior.
And again, imagine if it were Desna threatening his girlfriend with bodily harm if she breaks up with him, getting angry when his girl hug a platonic male friend, and ordering her to bow down when he leaves. Yeah it would not be played for laughs

I think, if the genders were switched, you would have to change a couple small elements to make it work as well, but the only people who would be yelling about it being unfair are the crazy feminist extremists and tumblr social justice warriors who already complain about everything anyway.
Nice strawman. Apparently, I'm a crazy feminist now. No matter how much you downplay/deny there is a double standard when the abuser is female and the victim is male.

I hate this argument, with a burning passion. It's funny that people get villains who simply want to rule the world COUGH the firelord COUGH COUGH HICCOUGH COUGHITY COUGH COUGH, and that's completely fine. No questions asked. There is not one batting of an eyelash, but you add a little depth to their motives and suddenly "idk what this villain wants."
Because the motivation needs to make SENSE.

If Unalaq's end goal was to release Vaatu, then why did he need to occupy the South instead of just simply putting the troops around the Southern spirit portal and leave it at that?

If he wanted to be 100% sure that Korra remained on his side, why did he ordered her parents to be arrested when there's a chance that she could discover that the trial was a kangaroo court.

If Unalaq thought the South lacked spirituality, then why did he attacked Republic City as Uberlaq? Even if you say that RC also wasn't spiritual, there was nothing pointing to fact that he gave two ****s about RC.

Unalaq was actually a more complex character than Amon. Amon was basically the generic "rule the world" trope with a dash of vindictive vigilante trope. Unalaq's motivations were rule the world trope with wanting to change the world (for the better, imo), because he legitimately believed he was doing the right thing.
And Amon didn't?

He thought that the world would be better with spirits and humans together, because that's how it was to begin with.
Which again, is false. Unless spirits driving humans to brink of extinction is somehow a GOOD thing.

Okay, are you seriously defending Eska behavior around Bolin?
Ummm no?

He shouldn't have shown concern for Bolin breaking up with her. That was one of the more rational things he did.
If by he you mean Desna or Unalaq, they DIDN'T show concerned that Eska was upset.

After the twins have spent so much time with their father, they're not going to just up and leave him. They're unwaveringly loyal to him, but that's a believable character trait (stockholm syndrome), not a mistakes on the writer's part.
Except for the fact that at the end after Korra said she killed their father they basically said "oh okay let's go home now lol"

Yeah it's poor writing considering that it was so sudden and they didn't seemed upset that he was killed.

This pisses me off too. Nobody's perfect, parenting is hard and basically everyone ever ****s it up. And everyone, likewise, has issues with their parents. Aang shouldn't be held to higher standards simply because he can talk to spirits and can control multiple elements.
There's not being perfect. And then there's blatant favoritism. No one's parents are perfect, but I'm sure most us can say that their parents didn't favor one child highly over another.

And even then, why didn't Katara do anything about it? I mean, Katara, of all people

Overall I think you're trying to hold avatars up to too high standards, they're really not much different than the normal person. Which is, ironically, one of the themes present in LoK.
Uhhh because they're the ones responsible for the fate of an entire world. I also hold world leaders to a higher standard than I do 13 year olds.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
It wasn't overnight. It was 6 months between each seasons!

6 months

And after 6 months, she was still *****y to Tenzin, who's basically her surrogate father, and didn't want to hear anything from him.

It repeats the same mistake like in Book 1. She does something stupid, she pouts, and then she somehow still hasn't a thing following the next episode.
Because 6 months is such a long time compared to the ~80 years an average person lives?

Tenzin isn't really even that close to her. They rarely ever even saw each other before the start of book one.

the problem is that she never suffer from her actions.
Apparently you missed the entire last part of that season?

Threatening a judge to overturn a verdict you don't like and then sticking his head into a large animal's mouth is restraint? Kicking over your boyfriend's desk in a fit of rage is restraint? Using the Avatar State to beat a bunch of grade school children in a race is responsibility? Trying to guilt a President into war by crying that your family is in trouble is responsibility?
Yes, let's try naming some of her rash decisions as responsible ones after i've already agreed to you that they do exist. What was even the point of this paragraph, honestly? If you're going to accuse people of logical fallacies, the least you could do is not partake in them yourself.

Why? It's not like she ever bothered to heed advice from her past lives.
That's just plain inaccurate. She highly values Aang's input.

And still, more or less, it was Korra having an identity issue like she did in Book 1
And what's wrong with that?

When I meant all over the place, I mean Korra's judgement flip flops more than a politician due to her black and white mentality. First she places her complete faith Unalaq and she wants to the North and South to be united. And when she realized that Unalaq was a villain, she suddenly doesn't want unification with North. Umm why? Yeah Unalaq is scum but that shouldn't automatically mean she should oppose unification (And I mean actual unification. Not imperialism like Unalaq was doing) It even shows when he she assumed that it was Northerners who bombed that building even when told otherwise
Because the northerners are attacking the south? Even if Unalaq was the one responsible for the call, they could've stepped in and decided it wasn't right on their own and chose to not participate.

But then speaking of which, Korra got huffy with her father and Tenzin because she felt they controlled every aspect of her life without her permission. The problem is that until the reveal of Unalaq being EVEL, she pretty much looked the other way when the North controlled every aspect of the South.
wow, are you kidding me? This is another plain lie. She was VERY distraught and confused during the entire beginning of the season. She had a lot of tough choices to make and she made them as well as she could've given the circumstances. But apparently all of that just doesn't exist to you. I'm not sure if you literally didn't get a good grasp of the show or if you're exacerbating for the sake of your arguments?

They won't work together. The spirits will just overpower humanity with ease. Especially since they did it before. Not to mention with spirits like Koh the Face Stealer running around.

Also, you still ignored the fact that the spirits overall, hate humanity. And the spirits that don't hate humans are like lower tiered than Melee Kirby.
And that's what the Avatar is there to stop from happening!

Wow, magic!!!!!!

And WHEN was this alluded in the show?
Um, it doesn't need to be? it's pretty obvious. People are getting information about the spirit world from people who visit the spirit world, which is not an easy task...

So WHY did no one bother to warn anyone about Vaatu? And if they did, why wasn't it alluded in the show.
Because they didn't know about him... Are you even following what I'm saying, anymore?

And again, imagine if it were Desna threatening his girlfriend with bodily harm if she breaks up with him, getting angry when his girl hug a platonic male friend, and ordering her to bow down when he leaves. Yeah it would not be played for laughs
It could be, and it would be.

Nice strawman. Apparently, I'm a crazy feminist now. No matter how much you downplay/deny there is a double standard when the abuser is female and the victim is male.
I never said there wasn't, just that it's not present.

(Nice logical fallacy x2, by the way.)

If Unalaq's end goal was to release Vaatu, then why did he need to occupy the South instead of just simply putting the troops around the Southern spirit portal and leave it at that?
Because he wants to rule the world.

If he wanted to be 100% sure that Korra remained on his side, why did he ordered her parents to be arrested when there's a chance that she could discover that the trial was a kangaroo court.
He didn't? All he needed her to do was open the portals, after that he had no use for her.

If Unalaq thought the South lacked spirituality, then why did he attacked Republic City as Uberlaq? Even if you say that RC also wasn't spiritual, there was nothing pointing to fact that he gave two ****s about RC.
Yes, he wants to rule the world, minus republic city. That sector of the world can just go about their daily lives as he terrorizes the rest of humanity.

And Amon didn't?
Nope. He wanted revenge. He knew what he was doing was wrong, and he loved it.

Which again, is false. Unless spirits driving humans to brink of extinction is somehow a GOOD thing.
You don't know that. You have absolutely no ground to make that opinion. Do you know something about spirits/the spirit world that Unalaq doesn't?

It's up to the writers to figure out how that will play out, which you are not.

If by he you mean Desna or Unalaq, they DIDN'T show concerned that Eska was upset.
Yes, and for Desna, that isn't a bad thing.

Except for the fact that at the end after Korra said she killed their father they basically said "oh okay let's go home now lol"

Yeah it's poor writing considering that it was so sudden and they didn't seemed upset that he was killed.
A lot of **** happened, and the two of them are logically thinking people where they knew it was likely things would go wrong from the get go. That's again, just a character trait rather than the flaw you're trying to make it out to be.

Uhhh because they're the ones responsible for the fate of an entire world. I also hold world leaders to a higher standard than I do 13 year olds.
Korra is like 17? She's also not a world leader. She has little to no political bearing in matters not concerning spirits and bending.

Korra is literally a kid who can talk to spirits and bend multiple elements. If you can't see you're being irrationally judgmental against her for little reason there's pretty much nothing else to say. I'm done arguing about this, because you already have you're mind firmly set to not enjoy it, so no matter what they or anyone else does your opinion isn't going to change. You're going to continue watching a show that only ever frustrates you because you can't appreciate it for what it is instead instead of holding it to stupid unprecedented standards and needling at every small mistake the writers make.

I will just continue enjoying the shows that I take the time and effort out of my days to watch, and you can continue over in your little pity party where nothing is good and everyone dies, because the only happy ending you're ever going to get is this so-called ****ty show ending on schedule, after it's somewhat successful run which you are partially to thank for.

So, look forward to that, I guess?

Kadano

Magical Express
Nobody knew about Vaatu? Wan did. Considering he was the first avatar and thus able to pass his knowledge on to later avatars, it’s kind of ridiculous that this tremendously important knowledge about the eternal battle got lost entirely. Korra was able to connect to Wan’s memories by being treated in this deus-ex-machina avatar spirit bath or whatever it was, and those nuns sure seemed like their knowledge had been around for a long time. So we can assume previous avatars had this means of connecting to ancient past lives as well, and considering they all had many, many years to indulge in avatar duties, it’s just way too improbable that Korra managed to do this in so limited time when so many of her past lives did not.

If the writing and world- & story-building was consistent, the Vaatu problem should have been known to at least some important characters.

I’m not going to respond to every single issue or argument. You’re basically telling us to lower our expectations. For me personally, lowering my expectations so that I could simply enjoy Korra without ever criticizing it would be so much that I could just as well watch Hannah Montana, Lazy Town, iCarly, Fox News trash or whatever stupid TV shows there are. But, what’s the point? I didn’t watch Korra just for the entertainment. I was looking for a meaningful, interesting, consistent and genuinely funny story. To me, it had too many flaws to still meet my expectations, and if I have to lower them that much so I can write that I liked it soooo much, I’d rather use my time for different things.
I still enjoyed watching Korra, although it was often only through sarcastic humor. It’s only natural to feel the urge to share your thoughts and feelings, discuss them with others and find out whether others think similarly, don’t you agree? I’m not going to tell you that you have to rant about Korra like “we” do, so please stop telling us that if we criticize most of it, it’s due to us having personal problems that make us hate everything a priori. (At least that‘s what your posts read like to me.)

I love Aang for its naive-innocent humor that was very refreshing after all the constant bashing, violence and exploitation “humor” in many series. I also liked most of the storytelling and world-building, and the pacing felt almost perfect and very enjoyable to me. It was by no means a perfect series, I agree with your critique on Zuko’s unfitting voice actor, his and Iroh’s initial character being kinda out-of-place compared to how they behaved later on among other issues, but it gave me much more of what I expected / wanted than Korra did. If Korra would have been there first, I don’t think I would have gotten into the series at all.

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
How about the idea of nick scrapping the next season of korra and animating the promise?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Well The Promise wasn't all that good either with Zuko saying that Fire Nation imperialism is good because it helped technologically advanced the Earth Kingdom. Even though Earth Kingdomers were treated as 2nd class citizens and weren't allowed to use the cool toys

nessokman

Smash Lord
Well The Promise wasn't all that good either with Zuko saying that Fire Nation imperialism is good because it helped technologically advanced the Earth Kingdom. Even though Earth Kingdomers were treated as 2nd class citizens and weren't allowed to use the cool toys
That's already a better plot than both seasons of korra combined

theeboredone

Smash Legend

Some stuff to take away.

1. That's (see after 4) on the dragon. Someone posted an image somewhere zooming in on the figure, the person clearly ___

2. Theories going around suggest that OWL has gone corrupt and is now standing in the way of Korra. Members like Katara however do not agree with the direction OWL is going in.

3. No Mako at the airship landing.

4. I dunno.

Image of Zuko

Last edited:

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Eska's problem is that she perpetuates the double standard that female abuser/male victim is teh funny. lulz
I'm not entirely sure why I'm responding to someone who would write lulz but

As a survivor of an abusive relationship that featured repeated instances of **** and suicide threats, what made it humorous was not the gender but how it was portrayed. There was little to take offense towards given its empty and outlandish nature. The relationship did not resemble real life abuse and did not tread in untouchable territory.

I'm sorry but its very clear from your language that, while you accuse the show of being sexist, you're the one with gender issues here. You take issue with how Korra never "suffers" for her actions, when the reality thus far is that she has suffered about as much as Aang has. Both shows have the characters rewarded for their traits. Aang is continually rewarded for his passive nature and this is something he never grows out of.

You take issue with how she treats Tenzin, but ignore that Zuko treated his uncle far worse throughout the series until its final moments.

Nearly everyone one of your complaints can be applied to The Last Airbender. Your negative views on the series are nothing more than misguided nostalgia and a sexist disposition.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Idk if Zukko and Korra can be compared. I mean Zukko, despite being banished and disgraced, has reason to feel angry. While Korra is just being spoiled. Zukko acts serious because he thinks his task at hand is his only redemption for his reputation. And is usually angry at his uncle for not taking things as serious. (even if that's Irohs way of lightening the mood.) but Korra has no such excuse.

Last edited:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I'm not entirely sure why I'm responding to someone who would write lulz but

As a survivor of an abusive relationship that featured repeated instances of **** and suicide threats, what made it humorous was not the gender but how it was portrayed. There was little to take offense towards given its empty and outlandish nature. The relationship did not resemble real life abuse and did not tread in untouchable territory.
Exactly. Female Abuser/Male Victim is USUALLY played for comedy.The problems stems from the fact that it ****ing should not. There's a ****ing trope on it. Trust me on this, if the genders were switch you better believe that it wouldn't be written as a childish joke.

BTW, the relationship DID partially resemble real life abuse. Eska made death threats if Bolin tried to break up with her. Bolin's friends didn't take the obvious signs that Bolin was unhappy seriously.

I'm sorry but its very clear from your language that, while you accuse the show of being sexist, you're the one with gender issues here. You take issue with how Korra never "suffers" for her actions, when the reality thus far is that she has suffered about as much as Aang has. Both shows have the characters rewarded for their traits. Aang is continually rewarded for his passive nature and this is something he never grows out of.
What does gender have to do with that?

Also being passive =/= not completely defending yourself. Just because he doesn't take a life doesn't mean he won't defend himself.

And as for Korra as I said in a previous post "She does something stupid, she pouts, and then she somehow still hasn't a thing following the next episode."

At least with Aang he either felt profoundly guilty (buring Katara's hands due his reckless behavior) or was almost slaughtered (Book 2 finale) whenever he ****ed up.

You take issue with how she treats Tenzin, but ignore that Zuko treated his uncle far worse throughout the series until its final moments.
Because Zuko has nothing to do with this. It also helps that Zuko actually felt guilty, conflicted, and thought himself unworthy of getting his uncle's forgiveness.

What was Korra's excuse? That Tenzin may or may not have ordered the OWL to look after her when she was.... 5? Speaking of which we never did received Tenzin's side of the story.

Nearly everyone one of your complaints can be applied to The Last Airbender. [
Again with this fallacy. If someone killed someone else does that make it alright for another person to kill?

Your negative views on the series are nothing more than misguided nostalgia and a sexist disposition.
I'll tell you a secret:
I watched all 3 seasons of Avatar: The Last Airbender one month before the Korra premiere.
And I was 25 at the time. So there's no "childhood longing" BS
And I constantly ***** about rose colored nostalgia glasses.
The girl currently in my profile picture? My favorite animated character despite existing for only 4 months
So yeah, it's not out of "misguided nostalgia"

And where's this sexist crap coming? I'm pretty sure I was critical of the male characters of this show as well. And other things that are unrelated to concept of gender (poor plot pacing, the villain's motive, the fact Korra thinks it's a good idea for spirits to come back to the human realm despite several spirits either being dangerous or human haters)

Last edited:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
So because I don't agree with your opinion of some kid's show, I'm somehow clinically ********?

Quite frankly, I wasn't the one insulting another person when I was debating here. I'm surprise that you're a Smash Debater despite the fact that you were name calling and straw-manning me yesterday.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Soooo.........how about that third season? I wonder what kind of character the main bad guy would be. Hopefully someone who's a little less, obvious than Korra's uncle. Then again, I actually don't mind "black and white" conflicts. Provided that they are entertaining enough.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
As long as it's not a water bender.

I feel like this show has literally drained eyes from all the heavy showcased water bending. It's definitely too OP/focused on in this show. The main villains of S1 were water benders, the main villains of S2 were water benders aside from Vatuu, Korra is a water bender, blood bending, water being able to change spirits, the two tribes going against each other.... It's just too much for me personally.

It'd be nice to see air/earth showcased more.

Last edited:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Spoiler warning: clips from leaked Mexican episodes (was supposed to air S2E3 to E6 but aired S3E3 to E6 instead). The episodes have been subtitled into English. I won't indulge myself that far though.

Amazing fan made trailer from scenes of the leaked episodes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHvPWPxtr14

Personally, I can't get enough of waterbending. No complaints from my end if future villains are waterbenders. :)

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
All I can say is that there is a looooot going on and I'm very pumped to see a lot of that stuff explained. Can't wait!
It's been removed =(

Any word on release or future announcements?
OFFICIAL TRAILER OUT ON NICK'S YOUTUBE!

Air bending is back. Kya was shown whipping an airbender on a glider down, so does that mean there are bad airbenders? That isn't possible though.

They would have needed formal air ending training to glide. I bet they are sparring.

Pro ending will be interesting with 4 on each team(airbender added) hmm....

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
HOLY ****. talk about luck. THIS WAS AWESOME.

Whoever that prisoner was, was he airbending? Also, was BUMI airbending??

nessokman

Smash Lord
HOLY ****. talk about luck. THIS WAS AWESOME.

Whoever that prisoner was, was he airbending? Also, was BUMI airbending??
I'm not sure if bumi can bend.
Air ending is certainly back, I already have theories as to why-

The avatar cycle has started over, korra now no longer having connections to her past lives, perhaps when the cycle restarted, people were given air ending to restart the air nomads.

Maybe spiritual energy from the spirit world gave them air ending.

A major plot point is them traveling around in search of airbenders in the earth kingdom. They get to see a now poverty filled ba-sing-se

Sedda

Smash Champion
I don't know if there has to be a reason necessarily. It may just be the same thing as with the bison

nessokman

Smash Lord
I don't know if there has to be a reason necessarily. It may just be the same thing as with the bison
But those aren't the same type of bison that the air nomads rode 170 years ago.

I doubt surviving air nomads just popped up long after the war ended. They would have gotten word of the war ending and come out.

Not to mention none if them have tattoos or traditional air nomad clothes, I bet the spirits have something to do with it.

Top Bottom