• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Korra

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Not gonna watch any of that. I'm pretty lax about Season 3 given my busy life. I just hope someone tells me when Season 3 starts, otherwise I'm gonna miss it.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Not gonna watch any of that. I'm pretty lax about Season 3 given my busy life. I just hope someone tells me when Season 3 starts, otherwise I'm gonna miss it.
We'll have a release date eventually. Or you can just marathon it when it finishes.

Last edited:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Book 3 will preimeire on June 27th with 3 episodes (yes that's next week)

Nick rushes out Book 3 like the show rushes the endings to Books 1 and 2

Seriously though, let's have GOOD writing in Book 3 and not the abomination called the story in Book 2

Also as far as the spirits go, I hate to say 'I told you so' but:

“A Breath of Fresh Air”: After the events of Harmonic Convergence, Avatar Korra discovers that her decision to leave the spirit portals open has unexpected consequences. Wild spirit vines have overgrown Republic City and Airbenders are suddenly popping up across the four nations.
I knew that the spirits would be parasitic to humanity. This is like any of us smearing our own waste all over a child's room for the sole reason that we can just overpower the child.

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
Book 3 will preimeire on June 27th with 3 episodes (yes that's next week)

Nick rushes out Book 3 like the show rushes the endings to Books 1 and 2

Seriously though, let's have GOOD writing in Book 3 and not the abomination called the story in Book 2

Also as far as the spirits go, I hate to say 'I told you so' but:

I knew that the spirits would be parasitic to humanity. This is like any of us smearing our own waste all over a child's room for the sole reason that we can just overpower the child.
I like the airbenders, it seems like an asspull on the writing, but I am glad that airbending is making a comeback. They aren't even advertising book 3 on nick, I watched it for 3 hours without a single commercial, how the hell do they expect it to get views without advertising?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I'm sure the Harmonic Convergence/Spirits are gonna play a role in new airbenders showing up. That or they've been in hiding for who knows how long.

Got it all on DVR, so I'm hyped. 3 episodes this coming Friday, then they are off on July 4th before resuming. I hope Nick markets and advertises this series well. It gets ratings close to TMNT, but you hardly see any commercials for it.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm sure the Harmonic Convergence/Spirits are gonna play a role in new airbenders showing up. That or they've been in hiding for who knows how long.

Got it all on DVR, so I'm hyped. 3 episodes this coming Friday, then they are off on July 4th before resuming. I hope Nick markets and advertises this series well. It gets ratings close to TMNT, but you hardly see any commercials for it.
Not to mention that they almost never show the same episode twice. The first episodes of book one were on constantly show through the next week. With later episodes they only show it one day and don't show it again.TMNT is shown various time through the week.

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I agree, and everytime I turn to Teen Nick, they are always airing The Last Airbender on weeknights. It almost seems like Nick just has no faith in the series, despite the huge following. All they gotta do is market and reruns to get a bigger audience.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I agree, and everytime I turn to Teen Nick, they are always airing The Last Airbender on weeknights. It almost seems like Nick just has no faith in the series, despite the huge following. All they gotta do is market and reruns to get a bigger audience.
They already have MOST of the original audience, they do need to expand with it. Nick didn't show the original much when it was still going with new episodes.

I kinda feel sad that book 3 is starting, it means the series is half way over, unless nick calls for more episodes. Most nick shows only go below 65 eps.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
well I think book 3 is off to a great start thus far!

I'd give an opinion but I can't figure out how to get spoiler tags to work

Last edited:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I like how Zuko is still awkward in his conversations after all this time. Next episode's gonna be awesome :)

nessokman

Smash Lord
Interesting start. Mostly buildup to the actual fighting.

I have just one question, what does the earth queen think she is going to do with a group of untrained airbenders? They were like, "Welcome to the airbending division". I don't get it, they can only do basic blasts of air, and they won't get good just shooting tiny blasts, they would need formal training from a real airbender.

Hope she enjoys her group of defective and weak airbenders.......I am betting Kai will pickpocket one of the Dai Li and use the keys to escape.

Speaking of the Dai Li, WHY ARE THEY STILL THERE!?! The group that betrayed the earth king was left still assembled, and now they are serving the corrupt queen.....The logic is so terrible. I can't wait for them to recruit those airbenders

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Nevermind, looks like one of my recordings grouped the first two episodes together. Here are my thoughts.

I'm liking the buildup and current focus on mainly Korra/Asami and Mako/Bolin. Given they are the Earth Kingdom, it's nice to see their roots, and it looks like as of now...the two separate paths will actually play a role for each other unlike Book 2 where it was just two separate stories.

I'm curious to see how powerful these villains are. They are definitely implied to be super dangerous, which makes me wonder if a guy like Zuko could take one of them one on one.

Overall, it was a nice opening three episodes. Mako being awkward around Korra and Asami was funny to see as well.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Interesting start. Mostly buildup to the actual fighting.

I have just one question, what does the earth queen think she is going to do with a group of untrained airbenders? They were like, "Welcome to the airbending division". I don't get it, they can only do basic blasts of air, and they won't get good just shooting tiny blasts, they would need formal training from a real airbender.

Hope she enjoys her group of defective and weak airbenders.......I am betting Kai will pickpocket one of the Dai Li and use the keys to escape.

Speaking of the Dai Li, WHY ARE THEY STILL THERE!?! The group that betrayed the earth king was left still assembled, and now they are serving the corrupt queen.....The logic is so terrible. I can't wait for them to recruit those airbenders
1.Who said the Earth Queen is particularly smart? Besides, the airbenders wouldn't be well-trained nor nearly as efficient as they could be, but it is possible to train/force them to be at least usable. Plus there might be more details to the politics that haven't been shown yet.
2.The Earth Queen is known to dislike her father's way of ruling, so she likely saw the Dai Li as a beneficial force for herself.

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Meh. First I feel I have to get this out of the way.

Can we just stop comparing LoK and ATLA outright? Minus them being helmed in the same universe, they're almost completely different shows. They each have their own pros, and their own cons. Some different, some the same.

ATLA was far from perfect. Aang and Zuko's voice actors were awful (and Zuko's voice actor is still awful in Korra). 80% of the show was throwaway filler fluff, and before book 3 there was little to no character development. I assume the creators went in to storyboard the last season and went, "Holy ****. We're 2 seasons in and Aang is still the blithe little boy he was in the beginning. He's only months away from fighting the battle that will ultimately destroy or save the world, and he's still more preoccupied with riding penguin turtles than figuring out how he's going to learn firebending. While Zuko has shown other emotions besides RELENTLESS MANPAIN a grand total of 2 times throughout these entire 44 episodes and we're practically writing Sokka's jokes on autopilot now." This show had a lot of flaws, as is, I guess, to be expected for a show with a key demographic that it had, but we were able to overlook those thing for the ultimately enjoyable experience that it was.

I don't mind having some problems with the show. I definitely have some of my own, but can we just enjoy the show that we're watching? Because honestly it looks as if some of the people in this thread are only watching it at this point to accrue more things to complain about. And that's really not the kind of atmosphere that I want to be a part of.

I realize that this all sounds very *****y, and there's probably a better way I could've worded it but at this point I've accepted the fact that even when I'm trying to be nice I'm still going to come off as a douche. So I apologize if I have offended anyone. My goal in this is not to deter anyone from the show or this thread, but to possibly reroute some of the energy of the discussions to hopefully have a more communal experience.

Huff. Now on to Korra...

Beginnings episodes were great. Definitely the highlight of this season.

Eska, Desna, Varrick are all awesome. The show's take on Varrick's character right now is particularly odd, though. He's clearly depicted as doing some awful things, but the way he has been portrayed puts him more in the moral grey area, I think. You don't get the sense that he's a bad guy, even near the end. It's interesting, and I hope they expand on this in the future.

The additions to the whole avatar mythology this season introduced were nice, though not fully explored. Which might have been purposeful, so the viewers could come to their own conclusions or what other creative license garbage.

Korra/Mako was a very realistic portrayal of a couple who both deeply care for the other but can't work together romantically. Coming from a show that's aimed for mostly kids/teens, I was impressed. Their mutual breakup was an extremely powerful moment and I didn't expect it to work out like that at all. I expected more angst and love triangles and blah blah blah. I can't express how grateful I am that I don't have to sit through that for another season.

I can't remember which one exactly but there was a fight scene near the end that I really enjoyed.

Kya is great. Lisa Edelstein is doing a better job at voicing her than I expected.

The ending. I think it's cool how Korra decided to keep the portals open. I look forward to watching spirits and humans try to work together. I'm really miffed at Korra losing her connection to the past avatars though. I don't think that was necessary at all. Why can't she be her own person without disowning her past lives? Hundreds of other avatars did it before her. The whole 'learning who you are' subplot was a really nice touch until that happened.

There were probably more things but I forgot them.

Blueberry Spicehead is still the best character.
Did you even watch ATLA? Zuko's VA is really good, there's lots of character development in book 3, and there isn't nearly as much filler as you think there is.

I don't know if there has to be a reason necessarily. It may just be the same thing as with the bison
It was explained in the supplementary material that the bison in Korra are of a new subspecies that Aang discovered at some point, which is why they look slightly different.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
Are we allowed to give our impressions based on all 6 episodes or only the first 3?

-but yeah, as it was said before, I really don't get why they have to go with the corrupt dai li thing within ba sing se again. It would've been more fun to just have an expanded story of the avatar assassins while the avatar recruits airbenders without any other story getting in the way.

I think that the earth queen story arc is ultimately going to make book 3 feel cramped again, unless the avatar assassins story arc spans over the next two books, in which case I'm excited.

I'm also kinda upset at how tenzin and korra have handled the recruiting of airbenders (during the second episode). this whole "YOU HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO YOUR CULTURE" thing was so obviously flawed and unrealistic lol.

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think we should only stick to the first three episodes, as the other 3 were aired in Spanish I believe? Even with subtitles, I don't think they were meant to be aired in the first place.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
I thought the first three episodes were really good. I feel more intrigued with where this story is going more so than I did with the previous two books. There's a lot of plots going on and I hope a lot of questions get answered. Not sure I understand why air bending was brought back to life through the harmonic convergence but I'm glad it'll be more showcased this season.

The team of villains feel very original and thrilling to me. An evil airbender is definitely refreshing and I can't wait to see what new things it'll bring to the series.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Just watched the first three episodes. It's a pretty good start, I'm cautiously optimistic for this season. I like the direction it's taken so far, hopefully they can keep it up.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Even though I love the entire Avatar series and continue to watch all of it, I wanted to jump in and drop a bomb to see if anyone sympathized with me that I was SUPER disappointed with the end of the first season of Korra.

Up until the finale I was ready for the brilliant, epic, interminable setting that was Benders vs. tech-using Non-Benders. I felt like this scenerio was plenty of substance, narratively and thematically, to fuel a series just as long as the entire first three Books. I thought that this awesome villain (Amon, right?), who's character design, disposition, and famous voice actor, would stand as the intimidating and ever-growing antagonist for several seasons that would lead up to a DBZ style showdown akin to Aang vs the Firelord.

But when the finale came around my immediate thought was something external forced the ending, something like the studio wasn't sure if they'd have the funds to continue to a 2nd season or that they were threatened with cancellation or whathaveyou-- I'm saying the ending seemed so forced and abrupt that I felt it wasn't the creators initial intent. It didn't seem appropriate or satisfying that the antagonist was just a random water triber that had a randomly birthed and virtually unexplained talent to seal people's bending; I thought he would be more special than this, his character and powers would go deeper than this. I thought there was going to be something mind-blowing like Amon actually being Aang himself, with a dark change of heart to destroy bending in the name of peace, renouncing all his old convictions. But he wound up just being, idunno, a DUDE.

Does anyone know where I'm coming from?

edit: Also I am such a scrub had NO IDEA the first 3 eps were out already-- watching now.

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Villains have potential, but I hope they have interesting motivations. They do seem like they are evil fit the same of evil. Due to their imprisonment.

Sedda

Smash Champion
I think we should only stick to the first three episodes, as the other 3 were aired in Spanish I believe? Even with subtitles, I don't think they were meant to be aired in the first place.
Yeah I asked because I speak spanish, so I'm not worried about the subs, but alright. It's hard to say where they're going with this, but for now I'm liking it.

Drowzee64

Smash Cadet
NNID
drowzee64
3DS FC
2895-6543-6932
I'm optimistic about this season, though there's something eating at the back of my mind that tells me this whole "new airbenders" thing might be cut short by the events of the story.

A plot device that comes quickly and cheaply might just end quickly and cheaply.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Btw, I know the Krew is focusing on new airbenders...but shouldn't new fire, water, and earth benders be popping up? Shouldn't they be freaking out as well and causing commotion in their towns?

nessokman

Smash Lord
Btw, I know the Krew is focusing on new airbenders...but shouldn't new fire, water, and earth benders be popping up? Shouldn't they be freaking out as well and causing commotion in their towns?
If they are, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. They have people they can go to where they can be trained. People who get airbending are freaking out because it is a power that has been gone for 170 years with nobody around to help them get control.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If they are, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. They have people they can go to where they can be trained. People who get airbending are freaking out because it is a power that has been gone for 170 years with nobody around to help them get control.
Perhaps, though I do think small villages dedicated to only having one element, and having another introduced would definitely cause problems. Especially if they can't control their powers like Poop In My Diaper guy.

Also, given how Bolin's growth and importance tends to get shafted, I feel like the writers are setting up Mako and Kai to have a deeper relationship by the end of Book 3. Bolin is still gonna remain his optimistic "He's a good kid" self, while Mako will eventually come around and see himself in Kai, and eventually help him grow as a person.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Perhaps, though I do think small villages dedicated to only having one element, and having another introduced would definitely cause problems. Especially if they can't control their powers like Poop In My Diaper guy.

Also, given how Bolin's growth and importance tends to get shafted, I feel like the writers are setting up Mako and Kai to have a deeper relationship by the end of Book 3. Bolin is still gonna remain his optimistic "He's a good kid" self, while Mako will eventually come around and see himself in Kai, and eventually help him grow as a person.
Does it seem like the bending is weaker in korra to anyone? In the original series, toph and the dai li were throwing massive rocks, causing large rocks to spike out of the wall ETC. Korra just has Bolin throwing pebbles in comparison, and Mako's firebending doesn't compare to that of zuko in the START of A:TLA.

It just feels like bending is a lot less chaotic fun and destructive. I liked the large scale fights, like A:TLA book 2's finale in the catacombs of old Ba Sing Se.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
It's speculation on my part, but...

I think it's because the kinda training Bolin and Mako went through involves mostly pro-bending stuff. They didn't live, eat, and breathe their martial arts like some of the other notable benders in the series, which probably hinders their development to some degree.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
It's speculation on my part, but...

I think it's because the kinda training Bolin and Mako went through involves mostly pro-bending stuff. They didn't live, eat, and breathe their martial arts like some of the other notable benders in the series, which probably hinders their development to some degree.

Smooth Criminal
That might be it, but it seems everyone has the same issue. Korra doesn't seem to compare in scale to what aang could do.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
@ Warsaint777 Warsaint777 I'm pretty sure that the writers weren't sure if they were going to be renewed for a second season or not hence the quick wrap-ups in the finale. As for Amon they explained that he took away bending by blocking the bender's chi paths to access it through bloodbending. He wasn't random, he was the son of a guy that had his bending taken away from Aang. The power behind taking someone's bending away fascinated him and he ended up using his father's teachings to do just that.

That's what I remember anyways, could be wrong on some parts.

Also I agree the bending seems weaker. I like Bolin's character but it frustrates me sometimes that the writers seem to emphasize on making him the comic relief a little bit too much. Back to bending being weaker, I actually think that only applies to earth, fire, and maybe even airbending. I definitely feel like the writers have over showcased waterbending and possibly even made it OP with the last two books. Hopefully with this new one focusing more on air and earthbending we'll see more balance.

Top Bottom