• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Korra

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
It's gonna go back to crappy artwork the next episode, but after that, it's Studio Mir back in action.
awww damn. sigh idk why they got lazy with the crappy animation...feels like im watching naruto. they have ****ty animation for most eps on naruto unless its a really big battle. (bee vs sasuke, madara vs the nin alliance with the meteor, some itachi vs sasuke eps)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
From what I understand, it's because Studio Mir originally chose to do Season 4 of The Boondocks (sig below) that starts early 2014. Schedule conflicted with Book 2, so LoK had to outsource to Studio Pierrot. Once Studio Mir freed up, they went back to work with LoK.

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
Studio Pierrot omg no.....they are notorious for screwing up good animation. Some of their stuff is good but most of their stuff is bad IMO. I hope Studio Mir can stick with korra for the rest of the series and put a bit less focus on the boondocks.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Studio Pierrot omg no.....they are notorious for screwing up good animation. Some of their stuff is good but most of their stuff is bad IMO. I hope Studio Mir can stick with korra for the rest of the series and put a bit less focus on the boondocks.
I'm not going to sit here and talk like I know the reasons why Mir opted for Boondocks over Korra. It could be money or simply preference. With that being said, The Boondocks is a great series in its own right. Different shows, but I'm going to have a fun time comparing Season 4 of Boondocks to Book 2 in terms of which was better for me.

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
I'm not going to sit here and talk like I know the reasons why Mir opted for Boondocks over Korra. It could be money or simply preference. With that being said, The Boondocks is a great series in its own right. Different shows, but I'm going to have a fun time comparing Season 4 of Boondocks to Book 2 in terms of which was better for me.
It's just surprising to me. I never knew they animated the boondocks. *shrugs* hey as long as we dont get a bad korra. lol

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Thought those were two solid episodes. Enjoyed how things came to be. I am now hyped to see how this Book pans out.
Yknow, it seems like Varrick and Unaloq represent what the avatar always fights: warmongers and the apocalypse. I hope Korra handles the situation better than she has been lately, cuz she's been falling into trap after trap.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yknow, it seems like Varrick and Unaloq represent what the avatar always fights: warmongers and the apocalypse. I hope Korra handles the situation better than she has been lately, cuz she's been falling into trap after trap.
Varrick isn't exactly a warmonger as much as the guy who goes where the money is. If for whatever reason, peace was the way he would get more money, I promise you that's how he'd roll. He just represents your typical corrupt, greedy, rich 1% guy.

Unaloq...I'm sure he's in cahoots with Vaatu somehow, someway.

Edit: All this Boondocks talk made me switch my avatar haha.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Omg guys I just realized something: spell "avatar" backwards and you get "ratava". That's obvious, but if you remove the "T" what do you get?

I'm shocked tvtropes doesn't have that in their fridge brilliance section.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'm late to the party but those last 2 episodes were easily the best the LoK series has had to offer so far. They really provided a whole new dimension in terms of why the Avatar is so important. Their ability to bend all 4 elements isn't what makes them so powerful; it's their connection to the spirits. We also now understand why the Avatar will cease to exist if killed in the avatar state as well as why the avatar is constantly reborn.

Now that Korra's awake again here's to hoping that she doesn't **** up the good vibes those last 2 episodes gave off.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm late to the party but those last 2 episodes were easily the best the LoK series has had to offer so far. They really provided a whole new dimension in terms of why the Avatar is so important. Their ability to bend all 4 elements isn't what makes them so powerful; it's their connection to the spirits. We also now understand why the Avatar will cease to exist if killed in the avatar state as well as why the avatar is constantly reborn.

Now that Korra's awake again here's to hoping that she doesn't **** up the good vibes those last 2 episodes gave off.
Yeah, I'm expecting Korra to be wiser now, meaning I'll like the main character, meaning I'll have more interest in the show. I used to be able to coast through the week and just casually want LoK. For once, I'm actually hyped for an episode...which sucks in its own different way.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Solid episode minus the stupid Mako and Asami crap going on again. These writers could be using that time to develop something else.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
My Koh theory seems really unlikely now. I'm still recovering from the Wan craziness but this ep wasn't bad. I can't believe Mako is so naive for a ex gang member.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Honestly, I think the writers enjoy inserting random acts of stupidity when it fits their plot most.

BTW, I do think Lin knows what's going on, but the writers are just giving the impression she's being dumb.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Show must be sponsored by mcdonald's cause I'm lovin' it.

Aside from the awesome Alice-esque spirit world journey, it's pretty clear that we're about to get a war and a nega-Avatar. I'm on board for this finale.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
This show has awesome music. Awesome animation.

But good god so much of the voice acting sucks major ass. Don't get me wrong I love Aubry Plaza, but she is not really much of a skilled voice actress. It kind of seems like the producers think you can just pick any ol' person to do voice overs. This isn't the case. Most voice actors are put a lot of work into what they do. It's their skill.

Out of anyone Korra's voice actress is the most stale...Her voice is so monotone. It's like come on you can't just talk to the characters lips. Put in some emotion man.

While I'm on the negative note, the plot to the show is mad generic. At least compared to A:TLA. But I mean that's to be expected. I'm a huge A:TLA fan and would probably watch Korra even if it sucked major ass.

Again on the positive: The animation is just beautiful. Glad they stayed true to it. And my ears just eat up the music.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Oh yeah the beginning part 1 & 2 GREAT EPISODES. Wouldn't mind if they had made a whole series of Wan's adventures alone. Wouldn't mind if it was in that art style either.

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman

But good god so much of the voice acting sucks major ***. Don't get me wrong I love Aubry Plaza, but she is not really much of a skilled voice actress. It kind of seems like the producers think you can just pick any ol' person to do voice overs. This isn't the case. Most voice actors are put a lot of work into what they do. It's their skill.

Out of anyone Korra's voice actress is the most stale...Her voice is so monotone. It's like come on you can't just talk to the characters lips. Put in some emotion man.

While I'm on the negative note, the plot to the show is mad generic. At least compared to A:TLA. But I mean that's to be expected. I'm a huge A:TLA fan and would probably watch Korra even if it sucked major ***.

Again on the positive: The animation is just beautiful. Glad they stayed true to it. And my ears just eat up the music.
I agree that korra does sound monotone at times but she does do a pretty good job. The best voices that ive heard so far on the show would be, AMON(most def), Lyn, Bolin, Tarlok, and both ravaa and vatuu

theeboredone

Smash Legend

But good god so much of the voice acting sucks major ***. Don't get me wrong I love Aubry Plaza, but she is not really much of a skilled voice actress. It kind of seems like the producers think you can just pick any ol' person to do voice overs. This isn't the case. Most voice actors are put a lot of work into what they do. It's their skill.

While I'm on the negative note, the plot to the show is mad generic. At least compared to A:TLA. But I mean that's to be expected. I'm a huge A:TLA fan and would probably watch Korra even if it sucked major ***.

What's wrong with a generic plot? As long as the plot itself is executed (I think this season has been okay at best), then it can be very entertaining. I have a feeling we're going to be getting some plot twists in these next 4 episodes anywhere that may turn this generic plot upside down.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
It's not too bad. I like this season more than last season. I just did not get the whole love square thing (seriously Mako why would you ever break up with Asami, she is so hot :confused: ). And I thought the pro-bending plot could have been better executed and the resolution with Amon was way too hasty. But obviously that was because of the episode limit. Still they tried to cram too much in.

The thing that was really cool with A:TLA is that each episode was an entire story in itself. Each episode carried out the whole exposition-to-resolution cycle, while still being relevant to the show as a whole. They took that out in Korra. Now it's not an episodic-continuum, but just a continuum. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Many great shows run that way (The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Monster, Attack on Titan). I just think that the way they were so cleverly able to hold the episodic continuum was part of the Avatar essence that made it so good.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I loved Uncle Iroh's short appearance. Seemed fitting that he'd spend the rest of his "life" among the spirits.

I really don't understand why Korra decided to open the spirit portal. Sorry Jinorra but the lives of the many outweigh the lives of the few. :\

EDIT: AHMG dat ninja... Must reblog nao!!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I rarely get into TV shows simply for the fact that if I get too invested, then I get obsessive. Knowing that I can watch it all end in one go is perfect for me. Otherwise, next week would feel SUPER SLOW.

Edit: 10,000+ reblogs hit! Can't wait!

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
I was going to post about the reblog campaign for the season finale, but good to see someone else wants to see this happen ASAP as well :D

If we seriously already broke the reblog number, then let's freaking go!

Edit (after watching the season finale): It was so.. beautiful, and epic, and everything else that you could say about an amazing season finale. I was worried beforehand that there wouldn't be much left to dive into for Book 3 (not to mention Book 4), but now, I'll just leave it at my concerns have been completely eased. Book 2 was definitely worth the wait, and definitely a roller coaster of awe-inspiring ups with a fair share of lows as well, but in my opinion, it was definitely a success. And so begins another unknown period of waiting on Book 3; but hey, at least it's happening, alongside Book 4, and rewatching 26 episodes in the meantime is much better than 12 :D

theeboredone

Smash Legend
A bit underwhelmed with the season finale, but it does set up some plot lines for Book 3. I won't say anything, given it doesn't officially air until next week.

Veishi336

Smash Journeyman
A bit underwhelmed? I actually enjoyed it. great great fighting scenes. The Light and Dark Giant fight was not what i was expecting. I was hoping for more....small OP human fights lol. The giants sufficed though. Also It sucks that her connection is severed with all the rest of the avatars and i doubt she'll ever get them back.
Sidenote: i thought those were the last eps of the season...there wont be anymore eps after that correct??...orrrrr am i missing something

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
i thought those were the last eps of the season...there wont be anymore eps after that correct??...orrrrr am i missing something
Episodes 13 and 14 are the end of season 2, but there are going to be 2 more seasons before the show ends completely (I am looking forward to and regretting that inevitable day at the same time).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I loved the final 4 eps; so shocked to see you-know-who desperately trying to capture Aang, and extremely sad about the previous avatars.

Korra's decision at the end didn't upset me, but I don't agree with her saying Wan was wrong. During his time, humans were so isolated from each other that they had no idea others existed, plus they had a thousand legitimate reasons to be hostile, distrustful and fearful. It makes perfect sense to bridge the worlds when humans themselves can't live together, but now that the avatar has made generations of progress, Wan's solution is simply outdated. It's not wrong, it simply worked for his time and now the world needs a new solution.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
A bit underwhelmed? I actually enjoyed it. great great fighting scenes. The Light and Dark Giant fight was not what i was expecting. I was hoping for more....small OP human fights lol. The giants sufficed though. Also It sucks that her connection is severed with all the rest of the avatars and i doubt she'll ever get them back.
Sidenote: i thought those were the last eps of the season...there wont be anymore eps after that correct??...orrrrr am i missing something
Okay, screw waiting till next week. Here we go.

1. Let's get this out of the way. Jinora's "I must go. My people need me." Was the biggest cop out/deus ex machina thing ever.
2. Once again, due to a 12 episode format, some things were left unsettled. For the second straight season, we have no idea wtf is going on between Asami and Mako.
3. While Wan's idea was outdated, I don't agree with Korra. Humans are less spiritually aware, and they have began to move towards a more industrialized world. Sure the smaller villages + spirits would make sense, but imagine spirits trying to run around in Republic City? That would be a disaster. One Avatar can't solve problems if spirits and humans are going at it in various parts of the world.
4. Korrazilla fight was a bit...lame.
5. Bolin/Eska was totally stupid. Wasn't this guy trying to go after Ginger? And then out of no where he has feelings for Eska? Especially after what she did to him? I swear, those two brothers make zero sense.
6. Bolin's jail visit to Mako was over the top douchebaggery. He also had zero repercussions for being a total douchebag ever since he became a movie star.
7. Unalaq's motivations were still not properly explained. So you want the spirits and humans to live together and be their ruler....um...why is this a good idea? Especially if it's going to be dark spirits?
8. The Varrick and Unalaq plot ended up not having any relevance to each other. Had one led to the other, it woulda made sense. The Varrick plot was LITERALLY there to give everyone outside of Korra something to do.
9. Speaking of Varrick, "Operation win back my freedom". So...what did he do?
10. I was hoping Lin was playing naive to Varrick and knew what was going on. NOPE. Total dumbass chief they got in RC. What's even more hilarious is this: She refuses to listen to Mako for his "speculation" and "shady evidence." But when she gets a random tip that Mako maybe hiding some explosives, she decides to act on it? WOW.
11. Asami was once again literally there to be "Mako's boyfriend". She's practically useless if she's not doing that.

Yep.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I really don't understand why Korra decided to open the spirit portal. Sorry Jinorra but the lives of the many outweigh the lives of the few. :\
Immediate > prospective imo.

It wouldn't be moral to not save someone at the moment in order to possibly save more people in the future. If both threats were immediate, then that would be a different story. Like if Unalaq was telling her to enter the launch code for a nuclear bomb.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
TRG, I see it this way.

1. Korra had to act in about 20 seconds. No time to think.
2. Another argument for saving her is that Korra still has time to stop Harmonic Convergence as Zen said. This wasn't a do or die moment.

Kadano

Magical Express
1. Let's get this out of the way. Jinora's "I must go. My people need me." Was the biggest cop out/deus ex machina thing ever.
3. While Wan's idea was outdated, I don't agree with Korra. Humans are less spiritually aware, and they have began to move towards a more industrialized world. Sure the smaller villages + spirits would make sense, but imagine spirits trying to run around in Republic City? That would be a disaster. One Avatar can't solve problems if spirits and humans are going at it in various parts of the world.
5. Bolin/Eska was totally stupid. Wasn't this guy trying to go after Ginger? And then out of no where he has feelings for Eska? Especially after what she did to him? I swear, those two brothers make zero sense.
6. Bolin's jail visit to Mako was over the top douchebaggery. He also had zero repercussions for being a total douchebag ever since he became a movie star.
7. Unalaq's motivations were still not properly explained. So you want the spirits and humans to live together and be their ruler....um...why is this a good idea? Especially if it's going to be dark spirits.
10. I was hoping Lin was playing naive to Varrick and knew what was going on. NOPE. Total ******* chief they got in RC. What's even more hilarious is this: She refuses to listen to Mako for his "speculation" and "shady evidence." But when she gets a random tip that Mako maybe hiding some explosives, she decides to act on it? WOW.
11. Asami was once again literally there to be "Mako's boyfriend". She's practically useless if she's not doing that.
I agree with all of your points, only quoted those I want to elaborate on.
1. Seriously, what was that? “Looks like all hope is lost, so have this random light ball to shift the balance in your favor”? And that after Korra had already connected to the principle of light, and thus shouldn’t depend on its manifestation Raava any longer? Also, if the thought behind this is that Jinora found the reincarnation of Raava (as “one cannot destroy the other”), why would she place it into Unalaq and not directly into Korra? We didn’t see any remains of Raava being absorbed by Unalaq, he merely destroyed her.
This was followed by Unalaq mutating to this huge being, but if that is to be interpreted as him absorbing Raava’s energy, he should have lost his size after Korra took Raava away from him again. Also, Korra managed to attaing hugeness simply by connecting with her inner/cosmic light, so why wasn’t the much more spiritually experienced Unalaq able to become huge by connecting to the cosmic principle of darkness? Maybe it was because he didn’t have access to the magic tree, which was occupied by Vaatu. (3) But if that’s the reason, with the portals and the tree available to every human being at the end of the season, pretty much anyone could have gone there and connect with cosmic energy and become a huge glowing thing – when Korra did it, she was nothing special as she lost all of her Avatar buffs and wasn’t particularly spiritual anyway. Doesn’t seem all that balanced to me.
Nor does everyone being able to thwart death by imitating Iroh and just go back to the material world through the open portal.

To be honest, I found everyhing the “light vs. darkness” battle came down to was extremely bland and shallow. The way of interpreting this ongoing battle that felt the most logical to me was light standing for selfless giving and darkness standing for selfish taking without giving. But then we had light super-Korra eliminate Unalaq and Vaatu. Not a very selfless, loving action if you ask me. To Vaatu, it might have been redemption as he was a very tragic being – condemned to flourish and grow only by corrupting and taking from others by force. But to Unalaq, who had been a normal living being, it would have been way nicer to just, like, free him from his obsession with darkness. Which is also way more likely to be the result of Korra’s exorcising ceremony. The argument that Korra made later – she couldn’t redeem him because he was already fused with Vaatu – doesn’t really count as Unalaq managed to extract Raava out of Korra just one episode early. Now you might say that Unalaq was only able to do that because he was merged with Vaatu, but as huge Korra seemed more or less on par with huge Unalaq – losing in the end because Korra as a human was weaker than Unalaq, just like when both were avatars –, we can assume that Korra’s light imbue is more or less equivalent to fusing with a light or darkness spirit.

To come back to the “good vs. evil”/“light vs. darkness” concept, this last episode made me appreciate the end of the Nausicaä manga much more. [collapse=You probably need to have read the manga to make sense of this]While I previously didn’t really understand why the distinction between the tomb fighting for the preservation of the life of the human species, and saying “Life is light!” and Nausicaä saying that “Life is the light that shines in the darkness! All things are born from darkness and return from darkness”, I now believe that to be a much more profound vision of hope than the similar biblical quote that excluded the latter part and with it, darkness from god and life. By also embracing darkness, Nausicaä abandoned her deepest fear – the fear of nothingness – and trusting in life ever coming forth out of darkness, even after all life on this planet is gone. [/collapse]

5. Every romancey stuff in Korra made me cringe. There were so many scenes that had both characters moving away from each other, only to start kissing out of the blue when it really wasn’t appropriate.
Mako acted like an asshole to Asami several, who should have gotten really mad at him, but as you stated in (11), that was more than her one-dimensional character role allowed. And Bolin is just plain dumb and unfunny. (6) Mako not being mad at his brother after he treated him like that at the prison and nobody calling Bolin out on his bs had me almost wonder if Shyamalan was responsible for parts of the character design.

7. At the beginning of the Unalaq revelation, I hoped for a moment that Unalaq had valid critique on the avatar concept that had been going on for ten thousand years. But nope, he didn’t want to achieve balance at all, he only wanted to shift the light/darkness balance from +1 to −1. Because being huge and glowing purple is so much fun, I guess.

10. Lin’s character was completely lost during the second season. Admittedly, she hadn’t been that much better in the first, but her not even considering Mako’s theory made me lose all respect for her, and in the last episode, she should have resigned for such a bad decision.

I don’t regret watching this season to the end and I will keep watching Korra as it’s still an enjoyable series with great animation, but the hope that the quality of the story, humor and dialogues will finally reach / exceed the level of the Aang series is finally gone for me.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Kadano, where can I read the mangas? I've been meaning to take a look at them.

I don't regret watching this season either. It really picked up around "The Sting" and went awesome after "Beginnings". But the first half was just terrible in so many ways. Episodes 211-212 had some flaws as I mentioned above, and 213-214 had some dumb moments as well. Look, I get they are working with only 12 episodes, but they really need to either eliminate somethings or expand it into a 24 episode season. It may have made Asami pointless, but not having the love triangle would have left room for some other stuff to happen.

A lot of people I know want Bolin x Korra to happen in Book 3. And I say no...that's going to create a freaking Love Square with Team Avatar. That's the last thing I want to see. Let everyone be single and awesome. You can then put time down to developing the characters and their chemistry with one another.

Top Bottom