• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Lean Mean Green Machine - Luigi Gameplay Discussion

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Luigi, to me, feels quite different in this game. It's like a similar feeling I get with Marth and Kirby. It's different, but definitely something I can try to adapt to.

I wonder if anyone can ever hit this combo against a real opponent. It'd be absolutely hilarious.
I would like to see the percentage of Ike when this happened. He was steaming so he was over 100%. Really great looking combo tho

EDIT: I've pulled off the jab -> up b on a Marth yesterday. Super satisfying. I'm pretty sure it combos because I landed it with a slight delay after the jab. Luigi's jab combo is mostly used as a "get off me" move so usually the character is pretty close. It works!

Last edited:

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
I would like to see the percentage of Ike when this happened. He was steaming so he was over 100%. Really great looking combo tho

EDIT: I've pulled off the jab -> up b on a Marth yesterday. Super satisfying. I'm pretty sure it combos because I landed it with a slight delay after the jab. Luigi's jab combo is mostly used as a "get off me" move so usually the character is pretty close. It works!
Ike was around 110%. It's probably the most pointless combo as just down throw > up-b would kill him anyway, heh.

I do like how easy it is to meteor smash with Luigi's down air now compared to Brawl/Melee (but it's a shame it doesn't affect grounded opponents, and that the horizontal hit is a lot weaker to begin with).

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Ike was around 110%. It's probably the most pointless combo as just down throw > up-b would kill him anyway, heh.

I do like how easy it is to meteor smash with Luigi's down air now compared to Brawl/Melee (but it's a shame it doesn't affect grounded opponents, and that the horizontal hit is a lot weaker to begin with).
Yeah I was playing yesterday and every Dair I performed meteored. I don't think I've even seen the horizontal hitbox before but that's probably because I tend to not use it much anyway.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
D-air is definitely muuch better. If you know someone likes to recover low, go and intercept them with a d-air. You can double jump+rising cyclone and get back with ease too.

I think it's incredibly important for Luigi players to be on point with punishing rolls and spotdodges, rolling especially. It's a LOT better in this game but it's always paved the way for some nasty, nasty habits that I've seen. (Lots of our local players who never rolled in Brawl are going autopilot with it). It's easier to force rolls too, because Luigi is such a high pressure character when he's close and that scares people.

Definitely keep your eyes peeled for retreating rolls when you get close. If you make the read, you can get d-throw for massive damage or a grab to set up a kill. It's peaches.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
What options does Luigi have when someone rolls through you? His Dsmash doesn't reach far enough to punish. Dash attack works at times but whiffs if the person buffers another roll. Is it just a read or can Luigi punish a roll on reaction?

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
What options does Luigi have when someone rolls through you? His Dsmash doesn't reach far enough to punish. Dash attack works at times but whiffs if the person buffers another roll. Is it just a read or can Luigi punish a roll on reaction?
Walking is very important. Try to avoid dashes when you get in close, or you'll be committing too hard. Walking allows you to do most anything and you can make better reads and crisper punishes.

Though I will be real, rolling is GOOD in this game, so you'll probably have to go more on prediction than reaction. Luigi's just too slow to consistently punish that kind of game. So if someone rolls behind me and then buffers another roll, I'll just run towards where their second roll with land them and grab/smash/upB.

When you're playing someone, just condition them; try to find out how they react when you place pressure on them. Take notes, and then 'unleash that dragon' when you've got them figured out!

BBC7

Smash Ace
I think I may have a combo that only works at extremely low percents.

D-Tilt > Grab > D-Throw > SH Fair > Nair > U-Smash

For the last part, you can also do U-Tilt into Bair.

Last edited:

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
It's always recommended to train with others. Training alone can be good for practicing combos and learning the mechanics of your moves tho. And when I say others I mean real players. They will play vastly different from the CPU and give you actual experience

Last edited:

The TaBuu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTaBuu
3DS FC
3454-0444-5134
is it just me or is nair a solid approach with luigi bc I feel like his Nair has some serious priority to clank with a lot of stuff

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
is it just me or is nair a solid approach with luigi bc I feel like his Nair has some serious priority to clank with a lot of stuff
They are, although my bread and butter is dair to nair [people can start to predict it though]. Falling Nair is also great for starting combo up again after you finish one closer to the ground.

The TaBuu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTaBuu
3DS FC
3454-0444-5134
i've been reading that luigi struggles with approaching but is that really true?

D

Deleted member

i've been reading that luigi struggles with approaching but is that really true?
It is, especially when he goes against characters that can outrange him. Luigi doesn't have many good/safe approach options at his disposal.
I fought a Pac-Man yesterday in For Glory (a very good one mind you) and I had trouble closing in on him.

The TaBuu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTaBuu
3DS FC
3454-0444-5134
It is, especially when he goes against characters that can outrange him. Luigi doesn't have many good/safe approach options at his disposal.
I fought a Pac-Man yesterday in For Glory (a very good one mind you) and I had trouble closing in on him.
Well against someone like Ike who isn't all too fast or mobile, wouldn't fireball approaches help luigi close the distance and get in close ,where luigi is much more efficient?
I could see ZSS being an issue with her speed, side-b, stun shot and long-limb hitboxes though.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Ehh idk. His fireball is too linear and slow and he can't act fast enough out of it to follow up. Also using a Luigi fireball is a pretty big commitment.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Ehh idk. His fireball is too linear and slow and he can't act fast enough out of it to follow up. Also using a Luigi fireball is a pretty big commitment.
I completely disagree. Being linear and slow is great! And if it were affected by gravity, you wouldn't be able to fire it off in the air and have it cover him from opposing aerials. His fireball is great for pressuring shields too at maximum range because no one can roll behind him. He acts out of fireballs really quickly, actually, and I use them to cover my approach for a run in grab / up smash. Even if I'm just walking towards an opponent, I like to have a fire ball hanging in front of me. Often I ensure a KO on an opponent by catching them in their recovery or a jump with a fireball and landing a running upsmash. Luigi's fireball clashes with Robin's arcfire and all stages of thunder (except Thoron), except Luigi has infinite fireballs. It clashes with ZSS's stun shot and can stuff her super speed.

Luigi's fireball is fast, free damage, and stage control. It's great. Spam the **** out of it.

thewarjoe

Smash Rookie
Played a little with Luigisama today, even tho the conexion was slow and laggy and he kicked my ass... it was fun. LOL

Last edited:

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
I partially disagree about Luigi getting camped heavily. While I probably haven't had the displeasure of being camped with Luigi yet, I do feel that he is able to get around camping with good movement and smart option selections. His dash grab for one is a whole lot better now because it's fast and has range so that should be one of the key ways to get in once you get past the camping.

Also fireball isn't bad either as mentioned.

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Fireball is definitely better in this game because it is slightly faster. Not an amazing projectile, there's certainly better...but it's usable.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
You could say, like Luigi, that the fireball is middle tier :p

Donyoku

Greed
Has anyone seen this? It's apparently called perfect pivoting. I'm pretty sure its been talked about in the general forums but still its really resembles WaveDashing. I just hope this is something other characters can do and not just captain. Just sharing with everyone I guess. It really surprised me when I saw it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Has anyone seen this? It's apparently called perfect pivoting. I'm pretty sure its been talked about in the general forums but still its really resembles WaveDashing. I just hope this is something other characters can do and not just captain. Just sharing with everyone I guess. It really surprised me when I saw it.
Holy crap. How does someone pull this off?

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Anyone else feel that Luigi is still an extremely hot and cold character? I'm either pulling off 60% combos on characters...or getting thrown around the stage like a ragdoll and unable to retaliate.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Holy crap. How does someone pull this off?
Start a dash, then flick the circle pad in the other direction for exactly one frame. I think it's the same window as dashdancing but don't quote me on that.

I just hope this is something other characters can do and not just captain.
Pretty sure it works for all characters, but hey, proof is always nice:

Probably worth noting, utilt dsmash fireball cyclone and shield/grab seem to be the only actions that'll keep the sliding momentum, everything else brings Luigi to a screeching halt.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Anyone else feel that Luigi is still an extremely hot and cold character? I'm either pulling off 60% combos on characters...or getting thrown around the stage like a ragdoll and unable to retaliate.
I've noticed the same thing. One game I'll have Luigi pulling off sick strings and really putting on pressure. Other games I can't do a thing and Luigi looks so scrubby. I have this problem sometimes against even the same character

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Alright Luigi mains, I need help landing KOs.

I find it's easy to land KOs with momentum. Once I land a 60%-80% string, racking up the last percent and getting the KO is aces, just because I'm riding that wave of Luigi debauchery. Of course, momentum is never the thing to build your gameplay on, especially with how easily it swings in Smash, and it certainly won't win me anything. So I need some ideas on how to land KOs more reliably in the neutral game, or when I'm getting walled out.

My main methods of getting kills are landing sweetspot b-airs, firepunching on hard reads for rolls/spotdodges, and using u-smash. I go for d-air spikes when I d-throw people off the ledge and also when I feel like going for gold. I'll go for aerial cyclones with they are high, but it's pretty easy to float out of the range and airdodge through it in my experience. Fireball zoning is amazing when they like to remain in the air, and in general it forces to commit to a shield/roll/spotdodge. But everything feels so...situational sometimes, and I'd like to see if I'm missing something. A better way to go about landing those finishers and so on.

So, how are you guys consistently landing kills when you're in the neutral? How are you getting in on super defensive players to finish the job? Reveal your secrets, I'm tired of my matches looking like the cutting room floor of a combo video because I couldn't 'finish my breakfast' so to speak.

<3 zhaaaaoooooo <3

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Since d-throw up-b is DI dependant Ill say the next best way to get a kill is d-throw tornado. I've found this to be the most reliable and easiest way to get a kill but you have to rack up damage to about 130% at least and have the move fresh.At this percent you can read their spot dodge or roll (in fear of the grab)and use the up smash. I'd like to add that this combo when you're in rage can kill earlier at around 100-110% depending on DI. Also on stages like battlefield maximize the use of the platforms, Luigi's quick aerials can put a lot of shield pressure and since a sweet spot up b destroys shield you can do things like f-air up-b or just up-b depending on what their shield looks like.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
dthrow nair works, zhao. although you need to be way of DI. dthrow up b is very risky because of easily you can get punished. What's odd is that ive gotten a dthrow to uair kill at 120 before, which surprised even me. Dtilt to upward angled fsmash works well too. Also if they hit your shield and are out of up b range, you can opt for a back throw or a nair out of that shield to get a kill.

I'm trying to implement crawl dash backwards to upward fsmash, but the timing has to be so precise. Also if you have them on the ledge and they roll, just up smash out of shield and you'll net a KO

But yeah aside from these options and the ones youve already listed, theres no other way to get a kill. High percents we really struggle, I've noticed

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Does anyone know is luigi has armor on his up b startup anymore? I feel like they removed it because sonic's spring has gotten me everytime. If someone can test this with an opponent, that'd be great.

Last edited:

The TaBuu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTaBuu
3DS FC
3454-0444-5134
Speaking of armor and whatnot, does Luigi also get an "invincible" head during his Usmash?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Does anyone know is luigi has armor on his up b startup anymore? I feel like they removed it because sonic's spring has gotten me everytime. If someone can test this with an opponent, that'd be great.
You're invincible during the first few active frames, but not during the startup.

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
Do we have Luigi's frame data yet? I'm trying to optimize my punishes by knowing speed of his upb, db, throw, and smash attacks.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Basically the problem I'm running into lately now is killing, sadly. I can rack up damage super fast, but tend to lose thanks to a few well placed blows from the opposition. It's so rare for me to land that SJP, and Dair spike is mostly situational on if the opponent has an equal/worse recovery than Luigi or not. My go to is Usmash. I try back throws too but they don't kill well either. Bair is ok for killing too, but not great.

The TaBuu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTaBuu
3DS FC
3454-0444-5134
Basically the problem I'm running into lately now is killing, sadly. I can rack up damage super fast, but tend to lose thanks to a few well placed blows from the opposition. It's so rare for me to land that SJP, and Dair spike is mostly situational on if the opponent has an equal/worse recovery than Luigi or not. My go to is Usmash. I try back throws too but they don't kill well either. Bair is ok for killing too, but not great.
SJP is way too punishable and possess a small hitbox that requires the opponent to be right in front of you. the risk vs reward factor for SJP makes it a 50/50 ko move at best. the dair spike is still a great ko option especially at high percentages. the only issue is consistently landing the move (but that requires practice). usmash is a beautiful ko move, especially because it can be executed from a dash. luigi's natural low traction and long slide, make it a great surprise KO option. bthrow is actually one of my consistent ko options. maybe the percentage is not high enough? and bair off stage is really strong, whether its towards the blast line or stage spiking the opponent.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So I'm entering a tournament at my local game store in Super Smash Bros Brawl with about 40 others for a chance to win a free copy of SSB4 Wii U. [Ironically I don't have or plan to get a Wii U/ I'll just keep it as a trophy or trade it in for Curtain Call/Alpha Sapphire if I win]. For whatever reason you can only use one character. I debated against using Olimar [secondary exclusive for MK] or Luigi [Only since MK is near unwinnable, I can manage everyone else] but I chose Luigi in the end. Fee was $10. SHOCKINGLY, I saw no MKs on the signup list. Lots of Marths though. Actually, a big variety of characters [Wario, Sheik, even Lucas I saw] .I think I may have a chance as since MK wasn't banned here, that my opposition may not know about the tourney scene well. Also I haven't lost against anyone in person as Luigi for the last few years [Random friends of friends challenging me]. I could be wrong though and get smoked!

Anyways, any tips for my first tournament as Luigi? I'm mainly in fear of the Marths, Luigi's second worst matchup after MK. I haven't played Brawl in a long while, so hopefully I can adjust from Smash 4 Luigi with the better combos,fireballs, and ground speed, and go smoothly into the Luigi in Brawl with better kill power and recovery.

Apologies for asking about Brawl Luigi in the SSB4 Luigi forum, but it's dead in the Brawl Luigi forum.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
So I'm entering a tournament at my local game store in Super Smash Bros Brawl with about 40 others for a chance to win a free copy of SSB4 Wii U. [Ironically I don't have or plan to get a Wii U/ I'll just keep it as a trophy or trade it in for Curtain Call/Alpha Sapphire if I win]. For whatever reason you can only use one character. I debated against using Olimar [secondary exclusive for MK] or Luigi [Only since MK is near unwinnable, I can manage everyone else] but I chose Luigi in the end. Fee was $10. SHOCKINGLY, I saw no MKs on the signup list. Lots of Marths though. Actually, a big variety of characters [Wario, Sheik, even Lucas I saw] .I think I may have a chance as since MK wasn't banned here, that my opposition may not know about the tourney scene well. Also I haven't lost against anyone in person as Luigi for the last few years [Random friends of friends challenging me]. I could be wrong though and get smoked!

Anyways, any tips for my first tournament as Luigi? I'm mainly in fear of the Marths, Luigi's second worst matchup after MK. I haven't played Brawl in a long while, so hopefully I can adjust from Smash 4 Luigi with the better combos,fireballs, and ground speed, and go smoothly into the Luigi in Brawl with better kill power and recovery.

Apologies for asking about Brawl Luigi in the SSB4 Luigi forum, but it's dead in the Brawl Luigi forum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrq_JSPemBo

In the last match of this set, I felt on fire. He's no slouch of a Marth, especially against Weegee, but I felt like I had reached a new plateau in playing Marth. Lots of fireball pressure to force a less than safe approach. Apply all your moves and hitboxes, don't just toss out a move and hope it will hit, or for the sake of doing something. Mainly, just stay focused 100% of the time and watch what HE'S doing, and adjust accordingly.

Good luck! Brawl Luigi is my favourite out of every Smash game, he feels perfect to me.

Top Bottom