• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Lean Mean Green Machine - Luigi Gameplay Discussion

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrq_JSPemBo

In the last match of this set, I felt on fire. He's no slouch of a Marth, especially against Weegee, but I felt like I had reached a new plateau in playing Marth. Lots of fireball pressure to force a less than safe approach. Apply all your moves and hitboxes, don't just toss out a move and hope it will hit, or for the sake of doing something. Mainly, just stay focused 100% of the time and watch what HE'S doing, and adjust accordingly.

Good luck! Brawl Luigi is my favourite out of every Smash game, he feels perfect to me.
Thanks for the vid, looks good! Yeah Brawl Luigi feels good, especially his Nair, recovery, and bair. I really miss the combos in Smash 4 though that I can pull off, I can't pull off much in Brawl. Killing power in both F-Smash and nair feels beautiful though.

But yeah, I'm already forming bad habits. I'm subconsciously using the control stick and A button for my smashes instead of the C-stick thanks to 3DS smash. Ugh.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Good luck! Brawl Luigi is my favourite out of every Smash game, he feels perfect to me.
But melee Luigi though :(

Also yeah Marth is really tough, always has been Luigi's bane, in every smash game. but Luigi can get the job done with smart plays and not getting caught up with Marths ridiculous range.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrq_JSPemBo

In the last match of this set, I felt on fire. He's no slouch of a Marth, especially against Weegee, but I felt like I had reached a new plateau in playing Marth. Lots of fireball pressure to force a less than safe approach. Apply all your moves and hitboxes, don't just toss out a move and hope it will hit, or for the sake of doing something. Mainly, just stay focused 100% of the time and watch what HE'S doing, and adjust accordingly.

Also I think once GCC's roll in, smash 4 Luigi will probably be the best designed Luigi thus far, because of a better recovery.

Only problem is that jab up b will be even more unsafe than brawl and previous games. But thats really the only thing I'm seeing as a shortcoming, and his slightly less kill power

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Also I think once GCC's roll in, smash 4 Luigi will probably be the best designed Luigi thus far, because of a better recovery.

Only problem is that jab up b will be even more unsafe than brawl and previous games. But thats really the only thing I'm seeing as a shortcoming, and his slightly less kill power
I can definitely see it, he'll be better than Brawl for sure if his recovery game can get back to standard. I've actually experienced more early success with Smash4 Luigi then I did in early Brawl, having taken some sets (albeit Wifi) from good players and I feel I can actually compete in this early stage in the game.

Brawl is what got me into competitive Smash and it's been my fuel for over 6 years now. So I have some personal bias for Brawl Luigi; he will forever be my favourite :)

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/70544002?page=5#57

Character balancing patching next month.

Please, please give Luigi his Brawl ko power and recovery Sakurai. I need nothing else. Then he will be able to recovery, combo, kill early, and dair spike. I don't need a range increase or aerial speed increase; that's part of Luigi's fundamental weaknesses across all games. I can work with it.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I completely disagree. Being linear and slow is great! And if it were affected by gravity, you wouldn't be able to fire it off in the air and have it cover him from opposing aerials. His fireball is great for pressuring shields too at maximum range because no one can roll behind him. He acts out of fireballs really quickly, actually, and I use them to cover my approach for a run in grab / up smash. Even if I'm just walking towards an opponent, I like to have a fire ball hanging in front of me. Often I ensure a KO on an opponent by catching them in their recovery or a jump with a fireball and landing a running upsmash. Luigi's fireball clashes with Robin's arcfire and all stages of thunder (except Thoron), except Luigi has infinite fireballs. It clashes with ZSS's stun shot and can stuff her super speed.

Luigi's fireball is fast, free damage, and stage control. It's great. Spam the **** out of it.
A very good trick I like to pull off is fireball at a small distance on ground level, then you run in with a dash attack and the majority of the time they will shield the fireball then unshield as the dash attack comes in. Very good for tricking the opponent, though I probably should switch that dash attack for a dash grab which is much safer.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/70544002?page=5#57

Character balancing patching next month.

Please, please give Luigi his Brawl ko power and recovery Sakurai. I need nothing else. Then he will be able to recovery, combo, kill early, and dair spike. I don't need a range increase or aerial speed increase; that's part of Luigi's fundamental weaknesses across all games. I can work with it.
The recovery is my first request for a change followed by a reduction in size of the blast zones to solve KO problems. I fear they may nerf his d-throw if that was the case.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
The recovery is my first request for a change followed by a reduction in size of the blast zones to solve KO problems. I fear they may nerf his d-throw if that was the case.
No! Not the d-throw! Please Sakurai, anything but the d-throw!

Nah, I'll doubt they'll change his d-throw. I also doubt they'll change the blast zones either. But yeah, Luigi in fact does need a recovery buff, so that would be just excellent if we got that.
Also slightly more KO potential for Luigi as well. Not too much, but enough to help him out so he doesn't struggle to KO.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
The only reason is recovery is bad right now is because of the 3ds controls. He is able to rise with down b without a jump and is able to rise extremely high like in brawl after a jump. I guess the only thing missing is the side b sweetspot on ledge, which I would welcome with open arms

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
The only reason is recovery is bad right now is because of the 3ds controls. He is able to rise with down b without a jump and is able to rise extremely high like in brawl after a jump. I guess the only thing missing is the side b sweetspot on ledge, which I would welcome with open arms
Has that actually been confirmed for the Wii U version? That would be great if so!

...Cept I'm not getting that version. Sigh.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Has that actually been confirmed for the Wii U version? That would be great if so!

...Cept I'm not getting that version. Sigh.
About the side b, I'm not sure.
But for the down b, if you slow it to 1/4 time, and do nado offstage without a jump, you rise up a pretty high distance. The only reason its harder to do in real time is because mashing on the 3ds is hard. Once we get GCC's, it will be a lot easier.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
is it that much easier on the gcc than 3ds? I didnt play luigi in brawl so I cant compare the amount of mashing it would take.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
is it that much easier on the gcc than 3ds? I didnt play luigi in brawl so I cant compare the amount of mashing it would take.
Yeah it's not too bad on the GCC. Brawl and PM down b mashing is a lot easier with the best controller ever created.

The 3ds makes Melee's down b mashing easy (14 times a second, really Sakurai?).

Last edited:

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
does anyone else think that Luigi's specials are bad? I think up b isn't worth the risk, people can pop out of tornado and sometimes punish, and headbutt is slow.

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
does anyone else think that Luigi's specials are bad? I think up b isn't worth the risk, people can pop out of tornado and sometimes punish, and headbutt is slow.
I think tornado is great, fireball is ok, missile is horrible [not the customs] and up B is bad this game.

Last edited:

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
I think tornado is great, fireball is ok, missile is horrible [not the customs] and up B is bad this game.
What's good about tornado. I've been experimenting to try and find the best times to use it. So far I've found that it's good for landing when the opponent is trying to up smash you, you can tornado away from them and move into them for a punish (if that makes sense), but I still have the problem of people popping out of the tornado and punishing me, sometimes I can block and punish their aerial.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Three out of four are essential to his recovery (Missile, Cyclone and Up-B).
The Fireball helps him out a lot as well. In most cases it makes Luigi immune to camping because it clashes with other projectiles.

But yeah, his specials could be a lot better.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
So the more I mess around with his upB sweetspot, the more lenient I find it. Has anyone else noticed this?

At least for his air version. I've been practicing the dthrow > upB combo on a bunch of different characters, and I've been sweetspotting with it at the back of his head. Seems like if his head is up in the opponents hurt box it will sweet spot them.

I dunno, is anybody else experiencing this or am I crazy? :/

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
What's good about tornado. I've been experimenting to try and find the best times to use it. So far I've found that it's good for landing when the opponent is trying to up smash you, you can tornado away from them and move into them for a punish (if that makes sense), but I still have the problem of people popping out of the tornado and punishing me, sometimes I can block and punish their aerial.
Its good for racking up damage and kiling of the top (although its very hard to get and can be punished if missed). You can also do dthrow > double fair > tornado for some extra damage.
Its not the best, but eh...it'll be a lot better for recovery in the wii u version, and is nado is miles better than docs.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
I think Up B is good, especially when they hit your shield and you punish with it. It's not as strong as brawl's but it gets the job done. It's hard to hit with aerial up b, but i guess practice makes perfect.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually a big fan of the Luigi cyclone. Pops foes into the air for juggles and strings. At higher percents you can Up throw into a double jump cyclone and get a surprise KO off the top. If someone tries to air dodge you can always stall the cyclone and as soon as they come out of their dodge you'll still land the hit. The cyclone is especially useful when I need to get back to the ground because it makes Luigi drop faster and move quicker. Very helpful against campers as long as you don't get too obvious when you're planning on slipping in between their defenses. I haven't really had any issue with people breaking out of the cyclone either, so I'm not sure what's happening when you land your cyclones.

His missile isn't great, but it's not too bad, either. It let's him get a bit of extra reach to finish a string, or catch an opponent by surprise. And there's the 1/10 chance of pretty much instant KO as long as your opponent is like 50%+. I don't rely on misfires happening, but by sneaking in missiles when I can I'm always giving myself a chance for an undeserved easy KO =).

His UpB is not easy to land and there is rarely an opportunity to land it against good opponents.

D

Deleted member

The Fireball is better in this game in my opinion. It's not the best projectile out there, but it helps Luigi approach and space more. I dunno why, but I feel as though it improved since Brawl.
The Green Missile is bad outside of his customs. The distance is limited if you don't charge it, I wouldn't trust it in KOing opponents, and it has very low priority (even Sheik's Needles beat it out). This was a move that should have been buffed.
The Luigi Cyclone is much better in this game. While it is weaker in terms of damage and it is harder to recover (possibly due to the 3DS), all of the hits connect better and it's an amazing combo starter. If I can't use a down throw, I use the Luigi Cyclone to begin my juggles and combos. That and using the Luigi Cyclone to KO opponents at the top of the screen is very fun.
The Super Jump Punch is weaker in terms of power and they oddly nerfed his recovery with it. It's still a powerful move with high risk and high rewards, but I don't find myself using it often.

Overall, I think that Luigi's specials are good in this game. The Fireball and Luigi Cyclone are better, the Super Jump Punch was nerfed but it is still a good move to KO with, and the Green Missile is still pretty "meh."

SonofDoug

Smash Rookie
NNID
CubeCrumbs
3DS FC
4597-0033-1746
I think Green Missile is pretty underrated its the perfect situational tool like after link/tink or someone whiffs a down air. If you can surprise someone with it it can also throw them off. Also for some reason I feel like you have more of a chance of misfiring the less you use it, but thats probably not true.

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
The Fireball is better in this game in my opinion. It's not the best projectile out there, but it helps Luigi approach and space more. I dunno why, but I feel as though it improved since Brawl.
The Green Missile is bad outside of his customs. The distance is limited if you don't charge it, I wouldn't trust it in KOing opponents, and it has very low priority (even Sheik's Needles beat it out). This was a move that should have been buffed.
The Luigi Cyclone is much better in this game. While it is weaker in terms of damage and it is harder to recover (possibly due to the 3DS), all of the hits connect better and it's an amazing combo starter. If I can't use a down throw, I use the Luigi Cyclone to begin my juggles and combos. That and using the Luigi Cyclone to KO opponents at the top of the screen is very fun.
The Super Jump Punch is weaker in terms of power and they oddly nerfed his recovery with it. It's still a powerful move with high risk and high rewards, but I don't find myself using it often.

Overall, I think that Luigi's specials are good in this game. The Fireball and Luigi Cyclone are better, the Super Jump Punch was nerfed but it is still a good move to KO with, and the Green Missile is still pretty "meh."
I should've posted something entirely different. My problem was basically realizing how overbalanced Luigi was compared to rest of the cast. Like how Dr. Mario's upb kills about the percentage that our fsmash kills (115% I think vs mario), but has exponentially more range, and I feel it's less punishable as well, also I think it has more range than Luigi's custom. I'm just upset with a lot decisions they made with him. I feel like the chance for a misfire should increase with each level, even if it was a misfire every time it still loses to fireballs, and I think people can trade regular hits with it (not sure). I just feel like other characters like Yoshi and Greninja (to name a few) can have their cake and eat it too, while Luigi has to suffer because under uncommon conditions he can be god like.

If the chance for misfire increased as you charged, if the invincibility of up b (which is useless for it to have!) was given to forward smash, and up b was properly balanced! Meaning it would either have zero range or be extremely punishable, it can still have low range (even though it makes hard to punish because Luigi's isn't that quick), but your opponent shouldn't be able whiff a dash attack, then whiff a smash attack, and still have enough time to hit you. Then I think Luigi would be one of the best in the game, but I feel he's not nearly as good as he should be because he was balanced under the impression that he would always be hitting misfires and sweet spotting upb's.

AND DOES EVERY CHARACTER MOONWALK AFTER THEY GET HIT, or is that a Luigi thing because I don't think Luigi can punish Flare Blitz because of how far back he slides.

I think Green Missile is pretty underrated its the perfect situational tool like after link/tink or someone whiffs a down air. If you can surprise someone with it it can also throw them off. Also for some reason I feel like you have more of a chance of misfiring the less you use it, but thats probably not true.
I don't think it's underated at all. It's slow and punishable, so it kinda sucks, but it's god like when you can take out the risk, which is what I believe you were saying. Like when you're punishing. This is why I've been asking for frame data and misfire set-ups (any kind of safe missile). It's godlike because you have nothing to lose (when it's not punishable) and if you hit a misfire you can kill them below 100.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
AND DOES EVERY CHARACTER MOONWALK AFTER THEY GET HIT, or is that a Luigi thing because I don't think Luigi can punish Flare Blitz because of how far back he slides.
Luigi has the lowest traction in the game (and this in line with his Mario series appearances), so he slides back very far when his shield is hit. This basically throws punishing slow, powerful attacks as Luigi out the window. Pretty annoying, actually, but at least it's the same as how he has low traction in the Mario series, so there's that xD.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
The low traction is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, some moves just can't be punished unless you perfect shield. On the other hand, because he just slides all over the place it also stops people from combo'ing Luigi or landing follow-ups.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I don't think it's underated at all. It's slow and punishable, so it kinda sucks, but it's god like when you can take out the risk, which is what I believe you were saying. Like when you're punishing. This is why I've been asking for frame data and misfire set-ups (any kind of safe missile). It's godlike because you have nothing to lose (when it's not punishable) and if you hit a misfire you can kill them below 100.
Green missile misfire I think is Luigi's only redeeming factor for that particular move. I killed a Pikachu online from the other side of the stage after just barely tapping him with it...at 50%. Also recovers well enough to get back safely, yet not SD like in Melee.

So I've come to realize I really like the misfire in this game. Just nothing else about the missile.

Last edited:

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Fun Fact: Luigi used to snap to the ledge when he did Green Missile. Not anymore folks. L2RecoverHigh
This is something I'm not very happy with at all about Smash 4 :cry: *thinks back to Brawl days when Luigi would auto-snap*.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Basically what I've found throw the past month and a half of playing this game is that every time you get an opportunity to punish, you need to maximize on it.

In the vid of Armada vs Dr Peepee at EVO 2013, they say that Armada's advice is to work on punishes, since people generally don't punish hard enough. As people get better at the game and figure out how to fight characters, the amount of opportunities are going to get smaller, so it's prime to be able to punish as hard as possible when you get the opportunity.

So for Luigis looking to make a serious dent in the metagame, definitely go to the lab and practice spacing, fireball zoning and setups, and of course, how to get as much damage from a dthrow as possible. Practice follow-ups and what you can do to make one grab or one hit last as long as possible. The less time you're spent fishing around for extra percent, the better. As for kills, I'm still really bad at landing them :(

Let's gogogogo, top 8 at Apex 2015 will be ALL LUIGI PLAYERS > : ) *runs to Training Mode*

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
So I have sources that Luigi can in fact rise without a jump offstage with down b. I will confirm this once I go to my smash u tourny in two days.

Luigi is looking good, guys. Get hype

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
So I have sources that Luigi can in fact rise without a jump offstage with down b. I will confirm this once I go to my smash u tourny in two days.

That combined with no more vertical Vectoring (i.e, Luigi KOs much earlier now, taking into consideration how many of his KO moves send them straight up), and yes, Luigi is looking excellent.

Good luck with your tourney!

hey_there

Smash Journeyman

That's awesome! Good luck! Do you think you'll be able to get any replays?

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
That's awesome! Good luck! Do you think you'll be able to get any replays?
It might be streamed, but I'm not sure. if it does, ill link you guys the archives. Only problem is that i wont be able to practice with a gcc since i dont have the game atm lol. But ill do my best

Top Bottom