• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lagtastic Online Discussion Thread **Sephiroth for S-Tier**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Well it depends how he tried to spike. Most people just jump and Dair right away without trying to time it or anything. I usually jump farther out and fall alongside the person to bait an air-dodge and then c-stick a Dair to punish it. Dtilt spikes are tricky because you have to space them before the person sweetspots. It's great if someone is falling towards the ledge from above or for characters like Sonic who don't sweetspot with their upB.

I sometimes let them grab the edge and then time my Dtilt to hit them as soon as their invincibility frames end. Usually it's around that exact time that they decide to ledge drop so it works out perfectly.
Yea Dtilt needs good aim for it to work. But when dealing with a planker, a tipped swipe with dtilt might intimidate them enough to stop planking. Its a really great tool.

Im ironically one of those people that air dodge/spot dodges at inconvenient moments for my opponent. So unless i see a start up animation for something...i do nothing or i do a faster attack.

I actually beat a pretty good Ike in Sudden Death like that. He started a mind game, then came at me with a SH nair, and before Ragnells blade hit my Ness, i Bair'ed killed him. All because of Nair's active hit box didnt reach me in time.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
^^^ Yes, if you have sudden death and both opponents die at the same time, port priority will determine who wins.

The best way to determine what port you have in Basic is 1. When your spawn animation starts, at the very start of the match 2. Your shield
^^^ True words are true.

10truthfulness

cutter

Smash Champion
I've been playing on the With Everyone modes on Wifi recently just to have fun. Going to tournaments and meeting up with fellow OR players is absolutely awesome, but I still find Wifi fun just to blow off some steam.

As Lee Martin said in the beginning of this thread I have done my share of sadism and just continously tornado fatties over and over again. It's especially hilarious against Bowsers that try to constantly down B me even though the tornado stops it cold.

I also have quickly discovered how bad people are at getting out of grabs. There have been many times where I can pummel someone 4+ times before they break out... which is perfectly fine for me since each pummel hit refreshes the tornado :p

Then I get a great sense of pleasure in trying to IDC through Final Smashes. I haven't done it successfully yet, but I almost IDCed entirely through a Sonic's final smash (I screwed up just over 3/4ths of the way and proceeded to get hit). Sometimes it's just fun to IDC just for the fun of it.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
^^^^ whats IDC?

I met an MK today that mind gamed me in SD and killed me with his dash attack...pretty sad

2 matches later we both Sudden Deathed again, proceeded with our mind games then I Dair'ed him just as he began his approach. That was a fun room! Gave my MK a good work out, got to stage meteor with SL and Dair. That other MK kept me on my toes for a few rounds LOL

The BEST kinds of Bowsers are the ones that side b to suicide with their Klaw. I ran into one today that was angry at a Kirby and all he did was side b suicide with him in an attempt to make him leave. I run into these kids sometimes and the best method to avoid the suicide is to stay center stage. God forbid by the time the guy starts doing this some genius has this brilliant idea to contentiously take you to final D where you can literally camp the center diamond and never get suicide klaw'd. GOTTA LOVE LOGIC.

P.S. god****it i hate final d so much

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
^^^^ welp your safest option is to usually camp back when they make brick walls, that MK was camping abit...buuut he was letting himself get hit by the nades way to much...those projectiles hurt alot

o, i didnt recognize that abbreviation for the cape AT

i still cant do that AT either...reflexes not fast enough :(

prince_of_darkness

Smash Cadet
IDC is the infinite dimensional cape. MK can disappear for a long time with it and be untouchable.

In Anyone, I like picking snake and spamming nades. When someone approaches, I create a brickwall like in this vid at 3:40 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qVNciQIxHA
People really don't know how to approach when I do this :laugh:
Lol, i enjoy spamming lasers and gyros with rob.
I usually up end stealing a lot of kos ;P
Down smash works very well for punishing approaches in a partially-laggy match.

This works even better in teams, especially when you can work well with your partner.

On occasion, i may also taunt after landing a ko, not be mean, but to GET INSIDE THEIR HEAD.
LOL, great mind games!

@D.E.: Try holding the controller in an unusual way, that sometimes helps for me.

I,ve managed to pull it off for 50 seconds before``..
It's still rather difficult though, IMO >.>.........

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
@D.E.: Try holding the controller in an unusual way, that sometimes helps for me.

I,ve managed to pull it off for 50 seconds before``..
It's still rather difficult though, IMO >.>.........
Yeah I use the wii-chuck combo, basically have up-smash programed to your up directional key and then (if you're right handed) hold both controllers with your left hand, hold down with the left thumb and tap special on the wii mote with your left index finger while the right hand solely is responsible for holding the wii-mote steady and using your right thumb to mash up - smash repeatedly. Timing takes some practice but this by far makes it easier to quickly press up-smash repeatedly while also allowing you to initiate the dimensional cape AND hold down on the directional.

I actually have not tried this with turbos but I bet that'd make this whole thing tres simple.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
*Blabs about something more on-topic with online Brawl*

This place still needs more activity. Should I stop being so lazy and actually finish my guide thing? Or maybe I should invent something else to attract tourists... Zen help me out here! We need a plan of action.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
*Blabs about something more on-topic with online Brawl*

This place still needs more activity. Should I stop being so lazy and actually finish my guide thing? Or maybe I should invent something else to attract tourists... Zen help me out here! We need a plan of action.
I had more thoughts on the tier list but it'd take quite a bit of work. I basically thought of using P.I.'s friend finder and this board to coordinate a series of matches between participants. We'd have to limit it to a certain number of people (have sign ups) then have a set time period that we report to the faux finder and then login, have our brawls and then report the results somewhere so we'd have some actual data.

You can technically extrapolate a tier list from the data I've complied for With Anyone matches, but this would be a With Anyone Tier list, not a Wifi Tier List, and though I'm technically doing that anyway, most folks 'round here won't find any real value to a with anyone tier list, but they -may- find value to a Wifi Tier list.

Then again, I'm not entirely convinced the Offline tier list and Wifi tier list won't be pretty much the same.

And yeah, definitely finish your guide, the more info we have available the more useful to those that play this game online.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Then again, I'm not entirely convinced the Offline tier list and Wifi tier list won't be pretty much the same.
There would be differences though. I can't say I agree with your method, mostly because it wouldn't be accurate enough. Maybe if we started recording results from online tournaments and using that data it may work.

Still, I dislike the actual tier list because it doesn't actually help new players with selecting a character, it just shows them what characters win tournaments a lot in the hands of already great players. Here is what I think we need to do:

We should start by making, discussing and evaluating a complete character match-up guide for online play. We would use current agreed-upon match-ups for offline play and then tweak them accordingly to online play. We would then average out all the match-ups for each character and make a tier list that is based on the average match-ups for each character. In other words, you know the characters at the top of the tier are the best because they have better match-ups and more good match-ups than the other characters.

I think that would be the easiest, best and most fun way to do an online tier list. I'll make the thread for the match-up guide if we decide to do this. Give me your opinions everyone!

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Match up guide seems pointless to me. Whenever I played online I would play the match exactly how it's supposed to be played offline.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Of course I did, how else would I get better? Running away playing as gay and stupid as possible to win with lag? lol

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
True

1. p.i's friend finder
2. match up guide
3. WotB tournament.
4. Online Tier list discussion+Vote based on tourney's, ladders, and fauxfinder.
5. ...

~The p.i thing won't work alone for the reasons Nysyarc gave. It could be used as a contribution though.

~Another contribution I was thinking of was this.... "War of the Boards." This would be an online tournament between all the character boards. Basically each board would have an indavidual tournament to determine the "top" 1 or 2 players of that board. The winners the respective character boards would each then perticipate in the main tournament using their character. Whapah?~ It couldnt be used alone though for the same reason as sucumbio's idea.

~We need more research on lag. (Moves/stages which cause most lag, average lag, which connection types play better, etc.) I don't think and online teir list can be made unless we determine contants and catagories. Like I said before someone who plays with virtually no lag would have a much different perspective than someone who plays with a lot of lag. With the "almost no lag" perspective the teir list would end nearly identical to the normal one.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
What is the WotB tournament?

Also we can't really have a constant of a lot of lag because then the entire thing is just silly. If there's a lot of lag it's not fun and pretty much unplayable.

If there's minimal lag you're right, it'd be pretty identical. But that's why the whole idea is actually kind of silly. We know there are certain characters who do better or who do worse in lag, but in what circumstances? Is it player dependent? There are way too many factors to be quite honest. I don't think it'd be very productive and not worth our time.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Hmm... in almost all cases this seems like it's going to need mass participation by several boards or at least just the online boards. We need to think of a way to simplify this. I actually am starting to like the idea of tracking and recording online tournament results (from the OTL boards). It will give us a lot of data very quickly for character wins and losses.

And as for characters doing worse in lag, some are severely affected. I main Ike and Ganon, and Ike is affected much worse than Ganon. Ike relies heavily on his jab game in most match-ups; jab canceling and buffering jab follow-ups becomes very difficult in even a small amount of lag. Ganon on the other hand relies on punishing and a few combos out of his flame choke which can still be executed well even with lag (although not as easily).

Basically I think characters who do a lot of buffering in order to combo and whatever will suffer more than characters who don't need to buffer anything. There are other factors too of course.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
If there's minimal lag you're right, it'd be pretty identical. But that's why the whole idea is actually kind of silly. We know there are certain characters who do better or who do worse in lag, but in what circumstances? Is it player dependent? There are way too many factors to be quite honest. I don't think it'd be very productive and not worth our time.
Yeah see there's no point to extrapolating data we already know.. the character's themselves offline or online have the same potentials.

~We need more research on lag. (Moves/stages which cause most lag, average lag, which connection types play better, etc.) I don't think and online teir list can be made unless we determine contants and catagories. Like I said before someone who plays with virtually no lag would have a much different perspective than someone who plays with a lot of lag. With the "almost no lag" perspective the teir list would end nearly identical to the normal one.
This. In fact I remember a while back a few of us at faux finder decided BF was the lagless stage. Until like 3 matches in when someone teched at just the wrong time and the whole match went WOAH then back to normal.

But yeah that's another lag factor, super tech whores who (cause it's the best way to brawl) constantly jock their air dodges/recoveries etc and you can tell when it's causing the lag cause it happens RIGHT when a good DI would be expected or what have you and then everyone's like oh crap cause the lag throws it all off.

Hmm... in almost all cases this seems like it's going to need mass participation by several boards or at least just the online boards. We need to think of a way to simplify this. I actually am starting to like the idea of tracking and recording online tournament results (from the OTL boards). It will give us a lot of data very quickly for character wins and losses.
Yeah actually that's a way better idea than trying to record fresh data, lol I didn't think of that. And the fact that they're numbers put up by the beasts of brawl means that they'll be that more reliable. There may not be representation from all the characters at the top top but there should be enough data to get something going.

And as for characters doing worse in lag, some are severely affected. I main Ike and Ganon, and Ike is affected much worse than Ganon. Ike relies heavily on his jab game in most match-ups; jab canceling and buffering jab follow-ups becomes very difficult in even a small amount of lag. Ganon on the other hand relies on punishing and a few combos out of his flame choke which can still be executed well even with lag (although not as easily).

Basically I think characters who do a lot of buffering in order to combo and whatever will suffer more than characters who don't need to buffer anything. There are other factors too of course.
No doubt lag hurts ike's game... or the doom that is say... DK vs Marth? Haha ever since I mentioned how he sucks online against marth I always get some folks that turn to DK (or Lucario *sniffle*) to try to beat Marth (or Kirby *sniffle*) and it just don't happen! Well OK... there was one team of DK's but that's like trying to brawl inside a soup can.

But yeah I second some kind of reference that spells out the characters that are hurt by lag even if they're obvious ones like Ness, who i've only used in low lag matches for dread fear of it being PK THUNDER .... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzz oh!

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
But yeah I second some kind of reference that spells out the characters that are hurt by lag
Lol, my problem is that I play two characters, Ike and Ganon. Nobody else. Well, occasionally Charizard or Bowser if I'm bored. So I could wax eloquent about the effects of lag on those four but outside of that I'm useless.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
Wait, are the tier and matchup list for WA, WF or Wi-fi in general?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
1. p.i's friend finder
2. match up guide
3. WotB tournament.
4. Online Tier list discussion+Vote based on tourney's, ladders, and fauxfinder.
5. Reference guide+discussion

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Lol, apparently I play two high-tier characters online :p

That's why I don't like tournament-result based tier lists, MK isn't actually that bad online, nobody plays as him online. And there's no way Ganon is the third best character online either. We need to improve on that tier list and soon.

prince_of_darkness

Smash Cadet
No you didn't. Don't lye.

Anyways I support what ever gets this thing rolling.

Also heres the current swf character rankings based on tournament results. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=237350
Loolool, I find that hilarious.

Now, when compared to the originalother list....

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165954

There certainly are, differences (It depends on the amount of lag, really).

if you look closely, you'll find The meta knight/Snake gap being larger than ever!:psycho:

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
if you look closely, you'll find The meta knight/Snake gap being larger than ever!:psycho:
Yah but like I said, that could just be (and probably is) because the particular crowd of people who go to those online tournaments prefer not to play MK (mostly). Ike and Ganon are no better online than offline, Ike is actually significantly worse. MK is also slightly worse but a lot of his techniques and playstyles can still be done effectively even with lag. That's why you shouldn't trust tournament result-based tier lists IMO. It's also why they tend to change a lot ;)

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
WTF! that list can't be very accurate >_>
No no it's perfectly accurate as far as the statistics go (I assume anyways, unless they made mistakes). That's based on tournament results though, so I wouldn't rely on it for deciding which characters are the best/worst. Especially since it's possible to list the tournaments that have been used in the statistics; it's not enough data.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Lol, apparently I play two high-tier characters online :p

That's why I don't like tournament-result based tier lists, MK isn't actually that bad online, nobody plays as him online. And there's no way Ganon is the third best character online either. We need to improve on that tier list and soon.
Actually I'd submit Ganon IS quickly becoming one of the best choices online. I get gimped by lag a lot less when using him and because his game has been somewhat understated a lot of players are caught off guard.

And as for a match up he seems to be really good against a lot of online picks like MK, though I'll agree his appearance in online friendlies/wa/in those tourneys from zen's thread is low... about that, is it me or is there some general consensus that picking MK is bad or scrubby or something? I still pick him though I don't win with him consistently and yet I do suspect (online anyway) he has more options than any of the other characters.

Knubs.

ナブ Paquito.
WTF! that list can't be very accurate >_>
Not a tier list, its just like Anko's thread, only with OTL tournament results.
One guy basically brought Ganon that high because of the huge 64 man tourneys held by FMOI. In time it shall move down and Luigi will be Hax tier :mad:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom