• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Jedi Council

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Also, I'm not noticing a whole lot of new faces around the DH. I'm starting to feel like we're going back to being too strict on who we let in.

Maybe we need a new system. I propose that once somebody is given a +1 by at least one DH member, if nobody gives them a -1 within a certain time frame, the PGer in question should be let in. I think the problem is that it's hard to get 3 or 4 people to give their support of someone in the Jedi Council. Seikend is a prime example of this. Dre supported him a long time ago, and maybe a few others did as well, but me and a few others thought he hadn't been in long enough. Several months later, I support him and so does Dre, but people have kind of forgotten him (as I did for a while), so it's hard to reach the "three supporters" threshold. I think most DHers here have pretty good judgment, and in the majority of cases, if one DHer supports someone, everybody else will as well (with a few notable exceptions). And if someone doesn't support a recommended PGer, they should speak up and say so.

Also, I actually liked what was happening several months ago, when we would pretty much go through each major PG poster and decide whether we would support each one. This made sure we had our attention on each PGer. I'm going to make an effort to do this on a fairly regular basis, and hopefully this will ensure that each worthy PGer will get accepted in a timely manner.

There's also an issue of PGers not applying when we think they're ready, but that problem can easily be solved by telling those who we've determined to be ready to apply.

NNID
Budget_Player
+1 to Seikend, Savon, Cheap Peach, and Underdog22. All of them are pretty ****ing good debaters.
-1 to emmanuel because, quite frankly, the conspiracy theory thread is a good example of how good he is at this.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
+1 to underdogs for reasons previously posted
+1 to Seikend because he has insight, which is sort of rare in the PG
+1 to Savon as well

Specifically +0 to Jumpman because he probably has potential, but basically posts one-liners too often and doesn't even clarify when people completely miss the point (though when that person is emmanuel I'm not blaming him)

-1 to emmanuel because he so far has not shown competency

asianaussie

Smash Hero
His posts flow logically, he can argue a point, but sometimes he misquotes or offers...as BPC said, limited sources. I also used to see him miss the point completely, or go off on tangents (though admittedly he hasn't done this in recent memory).

Still +0, leaning towards +1, but not quite.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Seikend, Savon, underdog22, and Cheap Peach have formally been invited to join up, soon as they have join requests in the que, they'll be added.

As you can see, KG the system still works, just needs you around to keep things alive :p

Savon

Smash Ace
Thanks. Once I finally catch up with all of my work for school I will start to contribute my opinion to some of the topics on this board.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for all your vote and support guys, I'm hoping to be pretty active around here.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
And so I hold the deciding vote! Well, me and every other guy who sees this thread... if they're considering voting yes... heh.

Can someone post me to a non-religious argument he was good in? I can't remember if he ever did that Center Stage or etc.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=288080 I believe this was the non-religious topic he was most invested in, a debate on possession of firearms for self defence. 4 or 5 chunky bits of text there.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11370139&postcount=38 His stance on whether taxation is theft or not. Unfortunately no one responded to his post.

As far as I can tell, those are the significant ones. Most of the other ones are just very short stances or responses.

I won't be voting for Nic, not because I feel he's not good enough, but because I don't feel like I'm good enough to judge other debaters.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't think you need to show you can debate in a number of areas to be accepted. Many people only debate in thier field of interest. Also, if you've debated well in one area, then you've shown that you have sufficient debating skills, which should be enough I'd think.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
It's not a question of what he "should" be able to do. I'm just very jaded to religious debates right now, hence I asked for other topics.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
So now you're letting your personal bias affect your decision?

This was never an issue when most of the athiests were let in.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
What the **** is your problem, seriously.

I'm jaded to religious debates, not religious people. Thus I asked for a non-religious debate so I could evaluate him in an unbiased and attentive manner. I literally said, verbatim, that I wished we had more theists and deists in the Debate Hall like a week ago at most. I wouldn't be voting in favor of an atheist based on their performance in a religious debate right now, either.

I'm getting really tired of your ****.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I think people are either too hard on or too supportive of Nic. He's not awful like some people have argued, nor is he one of the best like some others have suggested.

He's had some illogical points before, to be sure, but not all of his points are illogical, and he's clearly putting effort into his posts. I do agree with EE that it would be nice to see him debate a wee bit more in some non-religious debates, but I do understand Dre's belief that it's ok for him to have a specialty subject. I can also sympathize with EE's weariness of religious debates (I'm tired with them as well). I don't feel that's an issue of personal bias; rather, it's hard to judge someone's talent effectively when you're not interested in what they're debating about.

As I'm a fairly lenient judge, I'll give Nic a tentative +1 (emphasizing this for tl;dr purposes). Not all of his posts are logical, but he puts effort in and is clearly not trolling or spamming. Sure, he's not perfect, but I don't think people in the debate hall have to be perfect. It's ok if he's wrong sometimes, and he's even admitted not understanding a concept before, which I respect. Plus, as EE said, he'll add to the pool of theists here, along with Dre, Jaswa, and adumbrodeus, making for some interesting discussions in the future.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
What the **** is your problem, seriously.

I'm jaded to religious debates, not religious people. Thus I asked for a non-religious debate so I could evaluate him in an unbiased and attentive manner. I literally said, verbatim, that I wished we had more theists and deists in the Debate Hall like a week ago at most. I wouldn't be voting in favor of an atheist based on their performance in a religious debate right now, either.

I'm getting really tired of your ****.
Whoah whoah whoah, chillax bro.

Whether you're jaded by religious debates or people, the fact is that you require him to debate in another field simply because of your personal stance towards religious debates. That is personal bias affecting the decision, because had he been participating exclusively in a field you were not jaded by, he would not be required to debate in an alternate field.

This comes to my second point about the athiests. I never claimed you favoured athiests, or were against intellectual freedom. In fact I have never had an issue with you, I always thought you and I were on good terms, so this outburst has kind of surprised me. My point about the athiests was not that you're bias towards them, but they were admitted into the debate hall without having to participate in multiple topics. People like Underdoggs were permitted for exclusively debating on a topic you feel jaded by. It isn't fair to all of a sudden change the criteria on Nic simply because you're jaded by religious debates.

Saneglue- Who has made out that he is some prodigy? I haven't seen anyone really say that. I never did. I just think he's good enough to be in the Hall.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Saneglue- Who has made out that he is some prodigy? I haven't seen anyone really say that. I never did. I just think he's good enough to be in the Hall.
I don't know if it was you, but I thought I remembered someone saying he was really good. Can't remember who or when, since the Nic discussion has been happening off and on for so long.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Hey guys, it's nice to be a debater finally. A big thanks to everyone that supported me. :)

I think I'll wait a little while before causing any major controversy though, I've got a good deal of stuff going on right now.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Alright, well congrats on making it in. :) Props for sticking around in the PG for so long, waiting to be accepted. That's dedication.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Yeah I always have a lot of respect for newcomers that battle it in the PGrounds for as long as it takes, even when "as long as it takes" is a long time.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
What sort of stuff has this Emmanuel been saying that has been giving him a less than satisfactory showing?

Theftz22

Smash Lord
I like how he just started a new topic by copy pasting a news article without linking it or saying he was quoting it, then adding one line of his onto the end. It's an excellent tactic and I think I should consider using it more often in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom