• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Jamaican smash thread

ToSsy

Smash Journeyman
Happy belated sinji, also, good games on friday, although I'm rusty/ruxy as **** right now, lolol

Cross.

Smash Ace
so i got the project M demo that was just released yesterday and its pretty cool so far, it feels a little weird to me and the characters fall way too fast though. Overall its cool they made lots of changes i really like, like the characters now blink everytime you L cancel so you always know when u miss it or not and they put in some really cool stages like the forest level from story mode in brawl,saffron city from 64, dreamland and yoshis story from melee.

The characters are all really fun too. out of all the characters available in the demo i really like all of them, it feels much more balanced than melee ever was and im even using some characters i wouldnt ever use in melee or brawl because they were straight up a$$. Like mario for instance, he is really fun now. They gave him some cool changes, he can wall jump out of his up b and then up b again like in 64, and lucas is really really fun too. Snake is way different than i thought he would be, but its not necessarily bad im just not used to him yet. He can feint blowing up his C4(down B) by pressing down B and holding it after its set, and he can jus press down B after its set to blow it up like normal, he also can only pull 1 grenade now instead of 2 and it blows up really fast compared to brawl. He also cant mortar slide/boost smash anymore. Over all I need way more time with him(no homo). Fox is still cheap and falco feels funny, i cant wavedash out of shield with him at all yet haha. But yeah my only complaint so far is that the characters just fall way too fast if your fox and falco and your off stage your pretty much dead

edit: and level 9 is CHEAP wtf!

abcool

Smash Ace
Originally Posted by ragnarock
Great demo, even though(like you said) the characters fall ways too fast.

Devs Reply:
Landing detection gives you the illusion that characters are falling faster than they are supposed to because they land earlier. Link for example lands 4 frames earlier than he does in Melee while Falco/Fox land 1 frame earlier than in Melee. If landing detection didn't exist, they would land at the same frames as they do in Melee. But the physics are exact and Magus was busy these past few days correcting an issue where they weren't completely correct due to how vBrawl handles when gravity is applied when you jump.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Project M.... cant wait till friday. i wanna main ike or maybe dee dee dee. cant decide, too exciting.

Cross.

Smash Ace
ok so ive been playing a bit(was at school all day but finally got a chance to play for a while) ive tried out pretty much everyone save a few

It seems crouch canceling is gone(thank jah) so no more cc downsmashes from that hoe in a pink dress or getting cc shined from cheap and cheaper(Falco and fox), so im kinda digging that(altho it means fox can nair shine all day now without worries at any percent...ugh)

they also left in a really good technique in brawl called reverse air rush(rar) which basically means u can run forward and turn back before you jump, so you can run forward and back air in that direction just like in brawl which is cool, i could wavedash with marth, start my run animation, rar->bair for an edge guard

also 3 frames for buffering now, so my movements seem much better than in melee(I think it was only 1 frame in melee or sumn)

you can also grab the edge from behind now it seems(not to sure yet)

Ganon-hes really strong it seems. He is basically identical to melee except his run speed seems a little faster(could be my imagination) and they left in his brawl forward B, which is godlike. It is amazing at punishing rolls cuz it doesnt matter if they shield or not, its a command grab. When they get grabbed they can tech as soon as they touch the ground which means it sets up a really nasty tech chase scenario, cuz if they get grabbed by it they are in the same spot again. Also it seems if you buffer a jab from it they cant tech at all and have to get the jab. I tried to tech this in training mode myself with a 2nd controller and couldnt, but my timing could be off who knows for now. overall he is a beast, and his punches have a dope sound effect

Falco-It seems harder to wavedash with him for some reason(lol), but other than that he is better than in melee. He is the same in melee except for his jab which is the brawl version which is 10x better. More range and it was faster(in brawl atleast, not sure about project M). Also rar is really good with him cuz his bair is godlike

Fox-The same, cant up throw up air to save my life tho, not sure if im not used to new timing or its just not possible. I think either could be possible

Marth-The same, down to his old animation for shield breaker

Mario-Sooo fun he seems like a really balanced and versatile character, the recover buff really helps. Also he has an advanced tech that he had in brawl where if he capes as he runs to the edge he will slide way of the stage, useful for gimping and edge guarding in general

Falcon-The same beast he was in melee and still really really fun. Moon walks, tech chases, KNEE its all their.

Jiggs-Rest isnt as strong and the hitbox is smaller, like the brawl version. But other than that the same as far as i can tell

Lucas-really fun, he can pressure really well his spaced fairs(similar to falcos spaced bair in melee) and his combo ability seems up there. He can combo REALLY well into kill moves, although his edge guarding is weak due to his poor recovery. He also has a really good wavedash. His moves were changed from brawl a bit, forward B is now PK ice instead of fire, but it doesnt freeze em at all. His b move is now dope. He powers up DBZ style until he maxes out. Think Dks punch, but im not sure if you can start and then stop and it "saves" it. When he reaches max his hands start glowing and what happens after that is godlike. His next smash move will be made considerably more powerful, both the hitbox and the damage will be absolutely amazing at max power. His downsmash hitbox becomes HUGE even hitting behind him and I gave falco 37% from 0 from a fully powered up one. Fully powered up Up smash killed falco at 70 off the top(computer DI, but still). This guy is really really good, i actually may main him

Snake-Wow so this is the character i was most interested in, so far it seems really hard to find good combos with him, but i know his Up smash seems really good for combos, I could combo Us smash straight into his spike for the kill at multiple percents but im really not seeing as much combo potential. As i said before i need way more time with him before i make a verdict like that though. One thing that i have to say is that his tech chasing is now amazing thanks to wave dash out of shield. His down throw lays em on the ground just like in brawl. If im standing in front of them and shielding im at a huge advantage now, because if i see them roll forward i can wavedash OoS forward and grab again. Fox rolled behind me once and i was able to wavedash back OoS-> Turn around up tilt, up smash, spike to kill him. It still needs prediction though, and punishing backwards rolls is really hard. In brawl if i saw em roll backways i could just drop my sheild, and forward tilt behind me for free, but now with melee's shield drop lag that aint possible. Speaking of out of shield, his out of shield options are now good, because i have realized that the L canceling in this game is the one from 64, not melee which means ALL lag from your attacks is gone not just half. This is a godsend for snake who had really laggy air attacks. Bair out of shield is really good, and a what i use the most to punish people for rolling behind me in the down throw tech chase scenario. Combine this with wavedash out of shield and he went from a character with literally no out of shield options except roll or spot dodge, to some pretty decent ones. He doesnt have a shine out of shield but i can work with it. His Up tilt is now an uppercut, looks like ryus crouching fierce from street fighter 4. Its better for combos but it doesnt have anywhere near the kill power or the broken hitbox that brawl had. Forward tilt is the same but it seems i can combo from the 1st hit now, will have to try it out some more. It also is way harder to blow myself up off stage to live, because of the fall speed of the characters being so fast. Grenades are now pretty cool for combos as well, i was able to throw a grenade off stage as fox was illusioning back on, it blew up on him and i could combo into spike to kill him. Pretty cool. They blow up way faster now and he can only pull 1 at a time though, which means they dont seem to be about limiting the opponents options and stage control as much anymore, but its still their to a point. Also, his downsmash is now awesome. He plants the mine near instantly and the hitbox seems bigger than in brawl. If I place it at the right spacing behind or infront of me and down throw my opponent i basically take away 1 rolling option from them since if they touch it at the end of thier roll it blows up. I really like it. His down B c 4 now has no where near the huge hitbox it used to have under it, I can no longer place the c4 on 1 of the side platforms on battle field and place his downsmash mine under it and blow the c4 to trigger the mine. It still does hit under it now but they hitbox is way smaller. And last but not least, he isnt the heaviest in the game anymore, which means no more living till unreal percents. He is average weight now.

so yeah thats my thoughts, still have to try game and watch, zelda, sheik, link and sonic. Overall the game feels really nice, and the characters are all lots of fun.

abcool

Smash Ace
When u guys get that router up. We'll be down for some teams and singles. It'll be for lulz because of lag though..hopefully we get an almost perfect connection.. P:M is soooo much fun..

ToSsy

Smash Journeyman
what is toke up? i never heard that phrase in my life
src: Google
Toke:- 'a puff of a marijuana or hashish cigarette; "the boys took a few tokes on a joint" '
Surprised Google even had a definition, sounds like slang.

As for the question; I can't answer that for the rest of them, but personally, I don't, ever.

Cross.

Smash Ace
project m

so it seems you can only grab the edge backways in the free fall animation your up b puts you in. That is the only time i was able to grab it from behind. there might be other circumstances but i know for sure i wasnt able to hug the edge like i could in brawl(run off, fast fall and press towards the stage)

sheik-same as in melee, same cheesy *** combos, dash attack x N->slap still works, downthrow stil chain grabs some people and sets up techchases for others. She does benefit from rar though, especially in edgaurding

Zelda-wow so she is actually really good. she has priority out the *** on all her moves and some pretty good hitboxes on em too. trying to approach this lady is not easy, she can pretty much beat out or trade with almost every attack in the game. she can even trade with falcos dair(wow). her dins fire attack(forward B) is now different in the sense that it doesnt explode as soon as you let go of B, it now flashes in place then explodes. at first i thought this was *** but then i realized its really good and i was able to make some really cool setups with it. not exploding instantly means she can run behind it now and follow up/pressure after it actually does explode. One thing the computer did on me that i have recreated lots of times was dins fire when you see yor opponent try to recover(alter the angle depending on the character) then you can run forward and if it hits them you can combo into her fair or bair for the kill usually. speaking of kill she is really powerful, she has no problem killing and she actually can kill at really early percents with her air attacks. overall she is a good character, i was pleasantly surprised. i can see her being a really good "wall" type character

game and watch-like zelda he has priority out the *** but he is a bit more offensive based. his moves also have mad active frames. like MAD active frames. his ftilt where he pulls out the chair is just ridiculous, i once saw my opponent roll behind me, stuck out the chair while he was in his roll, the invincibility on the roll passed through the chair and then when his roll finished the rest of the active frames hit him and he died. WTF lol. but yeah he is actually really fun. his B attack where he takes out the frying pan and throws the sausage on you is really good if you short hop it, since the sausage goes into the air and falls down. i was able to short hop sausage, land, dtilt(where he flips the floor on you), they got hit by the downtilt and flew up into the sasauge then i jumped and comboed into fair for the kill. im also pretty i was able to short hop double sausage a couple of times. also if the frying pan itself hits you its a weak spike. he is a character that seems to have loads of potential

i sadly wasnt able to do much of anything with sonic or link, sonic i hear is really good and really execution intensive so thats probably why. link is jus...idk i couldnt feel him at all. he is probably my worse character right now

snake-i was wrong, his c4 still has a really good hitbox below it, i actually can place a mine under the side platform on bf, place it on the platform then blow the c4 to trigger the mine, guess i was doing it wrong before. he also has a pretty decent moon walk. over all the more i use snake the more he doesnt feel like a rushdown character and more like samus from melee. im still gonna try and main him but right now i can kinda see myself using a character more my style

fox-you can definitely still up throw up air but the timing is weird now. everything with this guy feels weird coming from melee, i cant use him at all in p:m

over all falco is still the most fun character to me, with lucas being in second place, but really everyone is lots of fun in this game. too bad marvel 3 comes out next week haha, ill probably never play this again after its out

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
double post: when the full version of project m comes out, im a main.

1) fox
2) ganon
3) Ike
4) Maybe Lucario still unsure.

Cross.

Smash Ace
I doubt this will matter much to any of the smash players save sinji, since he is the only one that shows up nowadays, but this coming friday will be the last night I host FNFs. There are a few reasons for this which I wont go into here in the thread but yeah its coming to end.

That being said I think I can speak for everyone when I say FNFs this past year was some of the best times ever. I still remember how it was at first, with just a few people showing up to play smash all night, we joked and played the whole night away. Then street fighter players started showing up and it just added to the fun atmosphere we had going before. We laughed hard and played hard and I watched everyone, including myself, get better and better at smash and everything else we played, and some people even grew a little as a person(some alot) by coming out and throwing down with us every friday. We made new friends and forged new rivalries, people who we probably would have no reason to speak with if we met under different circumstances we became friends with, all for the one thing that brought us all together; fighting games, and that is one of the reasons I love fighting games so much. It dont matter where you come from, what race you are, what your job is or how you look, if you love fighting games you could relate to just about everyone that was in that room every friday. We all speak the same language in that sense, and that is what fighting games are all about to me ; the community, and why I hosted these gatherings in the first place. The community for fighters is small down here, true, but it is because we are small that we are so tight nit and personal.

So yeah its coming to an end, I originally wasnt planning on making a long post like this but it just happened haha, I was just going to post saying this friday would be the last. With all that being said, I definitely am not saying FNFs is done forever, who knows maybe sometime in the future Ill be able to host them again, but for now this it.

So long FNFs, and thanks for all the good memories.

Cross.

Smash Ace
jus to let everyone know

if i start holding fnfs sometime in the future we wont have a tv dedicated for smash anymore

the reason is cuz it jus makes no sense. sinji would jus come and use that tv by himself all night playing the computer unless me or someone else decided to take a game. If the smash players really want smash then well need another tv for it, i can provide the console no prob tho

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Their gona have pre regestrations for Apex 2012 by the end of the month. Im gona reg. early.

@cross. You upload the project M vids yet?

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I really need someone to spar with before Apex. Please i wont get better by just playing computers. If you guys really want to play smash, come by davids.

Bryan500

Smash Cadet
@Sinji: If im in town and got nothin important to do ill come spar with u, ill pm u my # cuz i hardly check here anymore since FNFs stopped.

@Cross: if we start again im more than willing to use my tv but then we would run into the same problem again with transportation so i dunno...

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I wish Cross would login on the site every once and a while. He hardly answers his phone.

I may be able to come friday. But the thing is, I have an exam on the same day.

Ive been longing to play smash with you guys. I hope we get FNFs back on.

All i see is MVC3 and street fighter every friday. Its getting annoying.

So yea il try and see if i can forward friday.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
No you. (insert filler text here so smashboards will let me send)
I dont know what you mean by NO you.

Im sorry if i said anything that would diss the two games.

I just had to let every thing out. Its just how i feel about MVC3 and Street Fighter.

I remember when we used to have two t.vs for smash. I was watching over the vids we had back in September and October and i can hear the laughter and the hype we had in the background.

I mean soon SSF4 wont be popular any more and you guys would just play the new street fighter that comes out. It's not like your going to a tournament to test your skills.

Sometimes I feel like you guys aren't passionate enough for smash.

I mean, ive been playing by myself for like 6 weeks now. I remember at red alart when I first met Taj and about 15 people were watching the t.v. for smash. It just doesn't feel like were improving our community.

Thats just how i feel. Please respect my opinion.

ToSsy

Smash Journeyman
Please respect my opinion.
Denied.

Also,
Sometimes I feel like you guys aren't passionate enough for smash.
What? Ignore the amount of effort we put into it for a second here, I'm just going to just pretend that you even have some semblance of a point. Do elaborate, oh one who embodies passion.

I remember when we used to have two t.vs for smash. I was watching over the vids we had back in September and October and i can hear the laughter and the hype we had in the background.
Smash is pretty much dead down here, I don't see how that's hard to explain.

It's not like your going to a tournament to test your skills.
The same could be said for yourself.

The fun begins. ლ('Д'ლ)

ToSsy

Smash Journeyman
You haven't heard the news, you're not going to make it out of pools; not really testing your skills there now are you.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
for the past few months while everyones been away, I learned a lot of things. I got the theory down. I know every match up at the top of my head except for Marth, IC's and Samus. All i have to do is apply it in my matches. Starting this summer, im gonna train hard.

Bryan500

Smash Cadet
lol take it easy bros, what happened to Jamaica no problem? :laugh:

all this talk about "not enough passion" and whatever isnt the reason melee is "dead" right now. I think most of us were expecting too much from this "community", seriously there's maybe 5 or 6 of us who are even remotely interested in the game lol, there are others who play melee once in a while like Eraser or Taj but obviously their interest lies elsewhere.

Whats wrong with a couple of us getting together and playing smash, having fun and enjoying the game? people wanted more than that which is not possible here so naturally they started to lose whatever interest they had.

I might be wrong but i dont think any of the street fighter guys are aiming to be the best in the world or to go to tournaments like Sinji said but they are still playing, gettin better and enjoying their games every week which is much more than I can say for melee.

Honestly the biggest motivation I had to get better was not for any tournament but from getting ****ed up by Cross, Sinji and even you Trolly Tossy.

Top Bottom