• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Jamaican smash thread

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
lol take it easy bros, what happened to Jamaica no problem? :laugh:

all this talk about "not enough passion" and whatever isnt the reason melee is "dead" right now. I think most of us were expecting too much from this "community", seriously there's maybe 5 or 6 of us who are even remotely interested in the game lol, there are others who play melee once in a while like Eraser or Taj but obviously their interest lies elsewhere.

Whats wrong with a couple of us getting together and playing smash, having fun and enjoying the game? people wanted more than that which is not possible here so naturally they started to lose whatever interest they had.

I might be wrong but i dont think any of the street fighter guys are aiming to be the best in the world or to go to tournaments like Sinji said but they are still playing, gettin better and enjoying their games every week which is much more than I can say for melee.

Honestly the biggest motivation I had to get better was not for any tournament but from getting ****ed up by Cross, Sinji and even you Trolly Tossy.
tru words. I got to mad about it and im sorry.
It's just that ive been playing by myself for almost 2 months. But through the past two months i learned a lot from smashboards. took notes and displayed it in my matches against cpus.

Lets just forget about this and play some smash. :)

abcool

Smash Ace
I have to side with sinji on the notion that because you guys had a small number you gave up. There are alot of ppl interested in smash in jamaica..i know because you guys have AlOT more ppl living there, than what lives in the bahamas. You guys just have bad advertising strategies. I feel like i live in a hopeless place aswell, but if you really love the game you will make it work.

Sinji going to apex 2012 is probably gonna be bad for him. but he has passion. Look at you guys during olympics and other national events..jamaica carries the caribbean more than any other island and so i know with the right amount of good players you guys could be a force to be reckoned with at anything. Don't give up sinji. Like we say in the bahamas jamaica carrying on bad this lap kingman.

Another thing you guys need to realise about smash is that is an underground thing..atleast since MLG..smash survives by it's communities, which means the little ppl. It'll only be astrong as the ppl make it to be. Someone has to be the head. Everyone else can become the body and pull together to make it work. Sinji going off ain't just gonna represent himself, but all americans and other ppl at the tourney will see what "Jamaica" has to offer. I say help me out..i would if i could for sure.

Bryan500

Smash Cadet
I have to side with sinji on the notion that because you guys had a small number you gave up.
The only thing we gave up on was playing smash on friday nights. If that's what you meant then yes we did give up. There was really no great dream to give up on.

There are alot of ppl interested in smash in jamaica..i know because you guys have AlOT more ppl living there, than what lives in the bahamas. You guys just have bad advertising strategies. I feel like i live in a hopeless place aswell, but if you really love the game you will make it work.
I half agree with this. I'm positive there are other people in Jamaica with interest in the game but its not that simple. Take me for instance, if I hadn't moved to Kingston for school I would have never met these guys, I might have read this thread but i still would never have played smash with them. For the average Jamaican its really not feasible/possible to travel across the country to play melee, much less travel overseas to do so. Secondly, this is a point i've heard Cross make several times which i think is very valid; If there was really someone with genuine interest in the game don't you think they would have somehow stumbled onto these forums and this thread? I did. I don't know what other advertising strategies we're supposed to try, T.V. commercials maybe??? (jk)

I mostly agree with the rest of your post, especially your last paragraph. Melee is such an old game now that the only thing keeping it alive is just the few that actually like the game. There is none of the "newness" hype that Brawl has and there is none of the bandwagon effect that happens when there are tons of people playing a game (eg MvC3 & MK9, not to say MvC3 or MK9 are bad games, I actually enjoy watching both and would love to play either). Since we all like the game (I assume we all do since we put so much time and effort into it over the past years) why isn't it enough to play amongst ourselves and make the most of what we have? At one of the FNF "just for fun" tournaments we had like 10-15 people? i don't remember exactly. I think its a miracle we even had that much, they might not all have been super good but it was still pretty hype and I for one enjoyed it.

abcool

Smash Ace
The only thing we gave up on was playing smash on friday nights. If that's what you meant then yes we did give up. There was really no great dream to give up on.

I half agree with this. I'm positive there are other people in Jamaica with interest in the game but its not that simple. Take me for instance, if I hadn't moved to Kingston for school I would have never met these guys, I might have read this thread but i still would never have played smash with them. For the average Jamaican its really not feasible/possible to travel across the country to play melee, much less travel overseas to do so. Secondly, this is a point i've heard Cross make several times which i think is very valid; If there was really someone with genuine interest in the game don't you think they would have somehow stumbled onto these forums and this thread? I did. I don't know what other advertising strategies we're supposed to try, T.V. commercials maybe??? (jk)

I mostly agree with the rest of your post, especially your last paragraph. Melee is such an old game now that the only thing keeping it alive is just the few that actually like the game. There is none of the "newness" hype that Brawl has and there is none of the bandwagon effect that happens when there are tons of people playing a game (eg MvC3 & MK9, not to say MvC3 or MK9 are bad games, I actually enjoy watching both and would love to play either). Since we all like the game (I assume we all do since we put so much time and effort into it over the past years) why isn't it enough to play amongst ourselves and make the most of what we have? At one of the FNF "just for fun" tournaments we had like 10-15 people? i don't remember exactly. I think its a miracle we even had that much, they might not all have been super good but it was still pretty hype and I for one enjoyed it.
That's the thing i am talking about. Believe it or not, ask anyone in the bahamas. Non of us started playing smash competitively or met eachother on smashboards and i have played over 30 different ppl thus far. I found most of them, believe it or not on youtube. Heck, i just met another smasher through a friend that didn't even know about smashboards, but he only found out because i told him (Check the thread if you think i am lying)

This is how i see it. Traveling is tough, but like i said, it's something you have to find a way to make it work. Catching the bus for day time events isn't much of an effort. I think what makes the situation difficult is that you guys do everything in the nighttime, which is ok, but harder to pull off and transportation is gonna be diffuclt. Remember sinji is playing this competitively, so yes, you have to go out of your way and do the upmost to play. You're essentially taking the game to the next level. If you compete at track and field and the staduim in kingston..would you say "It's only running on a track, i am not going" come on it's more to it than that, so this is how smash is to players that compete and sinji happens to be one of them. It's very disrespectful to disregards someone else's interest in something, because your veiws are different. I used to be the sameway with shounenkel and others that traveled off, but now i understand. Eachtime they went off it was to represent the bahamas, not just themselves..it might just be a game, but it's one someone is willing to travel for and that should IMO come before anything casual.

Bryan500

Smash Cadet
woah you really got me wrong bro.

I'm not disregarding anyone's interest in smash, especially not Sinji's, I honestly admire his dedication. Dont think for a second I wouldn't be the first one off to Genesis, or Apex or whatever big tournament is going down if i could afford to.

We didn't stop playing smash because of lack of interest on a competitive level, quite the contrary. Believe me even though we are few we had more than enough of that to go around. There is no great competitive smash scene in Jamaica which is why i said there is no dream to give up on here. Our FNFs were probably the highest level of melee in Jamaica so its obvious to play at a higher level it would have to be overseas which is a whole nother story.

The point I'm trying to argue is that we can still play the game even if its not at the competitive level where were entering big tournaments, whether you're not playing at that level by choice (some who just play casually from time to time) or because of personal limitations (eg. myself) its still better to actually be playing at the highest level that is available to you.

What if a couple months from now something unexpected happens and we are all somehow able to go to Apex; lets see a couple months of playing against the computer once in a while(for those who even do that) versus several months of honing our skills vs each other every week, which do you think is better.

There is no way i would ever try to discourage anyone from taking melee to the next level, however, not everyone is able to. I don't think that is a reason to stop playing the game though, things can change in the future.

I give up trying to talk about the finding the new players thing. From what I can gather the situation here is very different than in the Bahamas and i don't think i can make you understand.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
you guys wanna go do davids tomorrow? I called him last week friday but he did not answer his phone.

Il try to call him tomorrow.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
After david posted the comment about the t.v, I was still using his t.v.

After i was done playing smash, david would change the channel to a movie or something.

So i guess we can use his t.v. I dont know.

abcool

Smash Ace
Sorry for the late reply smashboards had maintainence issues.

Believe you me!! You are more similiar than you think my friend. All everyone here listens to is culture and dancehall, love to club and *****...alot of violence and murder. No one for one second would think to put an interest in playing a video game to any sort of level outside of casual. Not to mention the amount of robberies going down.

America isn't the country it is because ppl think different..it's because some of those ppl had to say to themselves; look this game has potential and we have to make ppl see this. There was no if, buts and ants about it either. Why do you think a person running a business has to run it with an iron fist...If you truly love something ya gotta get up, get out there and make it happen. Regardless of how you think someone will precieve it.

None of what i said is your problem i am talking directly to sinji..i feel sorry for him..he reminds me of one of our smashers named Andrew aka likeness. Lived in Freeport bahamas and was the only smasher there..if his dad didn't live in nassau(where we are at) He would have probably stopped playing sometime ago. This whole debate has been all about pity for sinji.

Making it short, either you do the upmost or you don't. You guys have far better things to do and i respect that. Bryan500, thanks for the respond and nice input on your situation. I am not gonna drag it out. An i hope sinji took notes in all of this, because he is the main audience under the circumstance.

Ausp

Smash Apprentice
I can't disagree that Sinji deserves better but as you said "circumstance".
I mean, look at Sinji's post count. He's been putting in some hours here on the boards too.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
GG everyone last night.

We put some good matches in.

Tossy still can't beat my fox. LOL

Cross.

Smash Ace
ggs to all, tbm my falco was looking good by the middle of the night but you ran so its all good.

as for the discussion, meh, i read all of it and ill respond to everything with how i feel, one person at a time.

I wish Cross would login on the site every once and a while. He hardly answers his phone.

I may be able to come friday. But the thing is, I have an exam on the same day.

Ive been longing to play smash with you guys. I hope we get FNFs back on.

All i see is MVC3 and street fighter every friday. Its getting annoying.

So yea il try and see if i can forward friday.
I told you i quit smash, i do log in once in a while and check this thread everytime I do. All you see is mvc3 and street fighter every friday and its annoying? well why dont you link up with the smash players and play smash then? Tbm and ausp didnt come out for a long time due to personal reasons so what do you expect? everyone to jump on smash even though marvel and street fighter is what the people who come play?

I dont know what you mean by NO you.

Im sorry if i said anything that would diss the two games.

I just had to let every thing out. Its just how i feel about MVC3 and Street Fighter.

I remember when we used to have two t.vs for smash. I was watching over the vids we had back in September and October and i can hear the laughter and the hype we had in the background.

I mean soon SSF4 wont be popular any more and you guys would just play the new street fighter that comes out. It's not like your going to a tournament to test your skills.

Sometimes I feel like you guys aren't passionate enough for smash.

I mean, ive been playing by myself for like 6 weeks now. I remember at red alart when I first met Taj and about 15 people were watching the t.v. for smash. It just doesn't feel like were improving our community.

Thats just how i feel. Please respect my opinion.
Thats how you feel about marvel and street fighter huh? well did you ever stop to think maybe thats how the marvel and street fighter players feel about smash too? oh you remember when we used to have two tvs for smash and would rather it go back to that than what it is now. you realize what your saying right? because YOU dont feel passionate about marvel or street fighter you would rather see smash instead, and because its not like that somethings wrong? what about the players who care about marvel or street fighter? it goes both ways. Super street fighter 4 will be popular for a long, long time, the "new" street fighter is just a rebalance for it, and the final one at that, meaning it will be around for a while. True you have been playing by yourself for 6 weeks but what you cant seem to get into your head is THAT IS NOBODIES FAULT. Do you really think its mine or anyones fault that youve been playing by yourself? The smash players didnt show up, i quit smash and im guesing tossy did too. No one else plays smash. how can you even be upset about something like that and post like we could have done something about it? Again it sounds like some selfish "everyone should just play my game, all others are lame because i dont play them". Grow up kid, sometimes things dont work out the way you want but thats just how it is. No one makes any effort around here to play smash really. Its either link up at my place or bust. Why didnt you call bryan or ausp and see if you could go and link up at their place since they couldnt come out? even after friday night fights ended bryan and ausp could have gone to your house, or vice versa to play smash if you guys really wanted to but nothing like that went on. **** like this is what i meant in the past, no one is really doing anything except showing up, and thats why its annoying as hell to hear people complain. The marvel and street fighter players all link up wherever is possible. You think if i tell them they cant link up at my house that night they dont play at all? No. We've gone to other link up spots and threw down. That is what being passionate about something really is. We arent passionate enough about smash huh? i speak for myself when i say your right. Im not passionate about smash anymore. I doubt tossy is either, but i wont speak for bryan and ausp. But you make that sound like its a bad thing. No it aint *****. Its just what it is. I dont feel passionate about smash and feel about sf instead, does that make me a bad guy? Marauder feels passionate about blaze blue, taj marvel, kyo mortal kombat, andrew tekken. Am i mad at them cuz they dont feel the same about street fighter like I do? No i respect them and i respect their games, i dont play tekken but ill watch when they play and give the game respect. You say it doesnt feel like we are improving our community and you are 100% right. YOU the smash players are not doing anything at all to improve the community. When I was around trying to make **** going it was 10x better, but no one even seems to have taken up that role. I said if Fridays start back we wont use one of the tvs provided for smash, what does that mean? its up to you guys.

I just need to single out this, wow at this comment
It's not like your going to a tournament to test your skills.
WOW you get the chance to go to a big tournament, so ****n what? that means sf and marvel should get put away to help you practice? again this is a selfish as hell comment. You think if we could go to evo to play marvel or street fighter we wouldnt? We dont have the chance, but that doesnt mean we should stop playing and trying to be as good as we can,and that doesnt give our games any less significance that yours. The fact of the matter is, the players you think you know about dont feel passionate about smash. You think jervis or taj really take smash serious anymore? Seriously stop being so selfish, people will play what they want, your going to a big tournament but that doesnt mean everything stops so you can play smash.

for the past few months while everyones been away, I learned a lot of things. I got the theory down. I know every match up at the top of my head except for Marth, IC's and Samus. All i have to do is apply it in my matches. Starting this summer, im gonna train hard.
This comment is funny to me, just because its bull****. I wasnt going to even comment on it but ok, ill bite. You really think you know the matchups "in theory"? You cant even use fox in theory. You have no vision of what your trying to do. I dont even play this game anymore and im keeping up with you easy as hell. Tossy and ausp give me a far harder time than you. You dont look at the game properly, you dont have the right mindset when you look at the game. Sorry if this sounds mean, but its how i feel, and how ive always felt(ive told you this before, but you dont ever take my advice. How long ago have i told you to stop playing the computers on level 9 cuz you get bad habits?). Ive never respected you as a player, and when you won the tournaments or w/e and started posting around on the forums that your the best player in jamaica i thought it was just laughable. I sound salty, in truth i kinda am cuz i let a rux like you beat me, but honestly if you cared so much about the title of "best in jamaica" you could have just been given that title. Saying your the best in jamaica is like saying your the best in zimbawe, even if its true who really gives a ****?

Work on your mindset first, cuz thats really whats lacking and its so obvious when you play and just do the same series of **** over and over again. You dont even like street fighter but you could never play it the way you are now. Its a big mind game, and when i play smash with you it doesnt feel like a mental battle, just a herp derp pile of ****. Ausp will be the best fox in jamaica soon, since that means so much to you.

lol take it easy bros, what happened to Jamaica no problem? :laugh:

all this talk about "not enough passion" and whatever isnt the reason melee is "dead" right now. I think most of us were expecting too much from this "community", seriously there's maybe 5 or 6 of us who are even remotely interested in the game lol, there are others who play melee once in a while like Eraser or Taj but obviously their interest lies elsewhere.

Whats wrong with a couple of us getting together and playing smash, having fun and enjoying the game? people wanted more than that which is not possible here so naturally they started to lose whatever interest they had.

I might be wrong but i dont think any of the street fighter guys are aiming to be the best in the world or to go to tournaments like Sinji said but they are still playing, gettin better and enjoying their games every week which is much more than I can say for melee.

Honestly the biggest motivation I had to get better was not for any tournament but from getting ****ed up by Cross, Sinji and even you Trolly Tossy.
You know, its attitudes like this that bruk vibes and really and truly i never ever liked that you had that mindset. SAYING "there is not enough passion" is not the reason smash is dead, smash really is dead because there just wasnt enough passion, sinji whas right about that. And people like you are what contribute to that, no offense of course. You see it as "well never ever amount to anything so lets just play till its not fun and then stop". This kind of mind set is what makes the game lame for me, and its such a waste since you are one of the strongest when it comes to the mental side of things. You could easily have been the best falco in jamaica, but even now i say with 100% confidence that im better than you. so is tossy, and you let sinji win even though you are 10x smarter than him in game sense. the reason? because your not hungry. you dont feel the way the rest of us feel. When you lose, your heart isnt set on fire because "oh well its not like im going to play in a tournament". Your "heart" is weak in that sense. I dont know if you even know what i mean, but this is how i feel.

You say you doubt none of the street fighter players are aiming to be the best, but your are oh so wrong. They are hungry. Really hungry. Players like them are the ones who push the game to its limits. Do you notice that even though eugene is considered the best, everyone save the newer players like me or tossy are a huge force to be reckoned with? Its because of the fiery passion they have for the game, the aim not to lose to anyone no matter who they are, and the goal of being as good as they can be, and when it comes to that goal the sky is the limit, but we in jamaica are under a ceiling so the sky seems to be impossible to get to. But you better believe that 80% of the players are right there touching the ceiling. They highest level of skill in jamaica belongs to them, and thats the difference with them and you. You arent hungry enough to even touch that ceiling, and everyone plays the games for there own reasons but dont think your way is the best just because its how you feel. I was starving when i just started playing smash and got better really fast. You think i care if if its your falco im playing or mango's? im trying to win no matter what. and the same can be said about all the street fighter players. If you actually were passionate enough to push yourself to your limit out here, you would know what having a little confidence can do for your game.

Again, you are the only one who feels this way, to me there was a great dream so stop speaking for everyone when you talk.

I agree with what you said about people should be willing to do as much as they can do play the game if they are truly interested, you know i do cuz as you said ive said it many times in the past. No one forced any of us to reach to the level we reached, no one forced you to come on smashboards and pm me or any of that. I mean, typing "Smash bros jamaica" in google will link to our thread first. If players truly wanted to step up there games and play for real they would have. The area players are the best example. The are the self proclaimed best in smash, we challenged them and they lost and we never heard a word from any of them ever again. Maybe we could have put a commercial on tv or printed flyers and hung them everywhere, but in all honestly we did all that we should have done to attract new players, we are all we got and to be honest, im ok with that. If we are really the only people to do all of this its obvious no one else cares, and i doubt they would want to play for real if they arent making the effort themselves.

The newness factor means nothing out here, all of 4 people play blazblue competitively, we have even more players than them. But guess what? they are all on a much higher level in their game than we are on ours. Again it comes down to what i mentioned before. The passion. The hunger. The fire you feel in your heart when you lose. The feeling "Im not going to lose to that guy ever again". I dont feel people were passionate enough for smash, because if the blazeblue guys could get that good with only 4 players then we could be 10x better, and i know it too. The "Just for fun tournaments" were business to me, i wanted to kill everyone and not lose a single match.

We didn't stop playing smash because of lack of interest on a competitive level, quite the contrary. Believe me even though we are few we had more than enough of that to go around. There is no great competitive smash scene in Jamaica which is why i said there is no dream to give up on here. Our FNFs were probably the highest level of melee in Jamaica so its obvious to play at a higher level it would have to be overseas which is a whole nother story.

The point I'm trying to argue is that we can still play the game even if its not at the competitive level where were entering big tournaments, whether you're not playing at that level by choice (some who just play casually from time to time) or because of personal limitations (eg. myself) its still better to actually be playing at the highest level that is available to you.

What if a couple months from now something unexpected happens and we are all somehow able to go to Apex; lets see a couple months of playing against the computer once in a while(for those who even do that) versus several months of honing our skills vs each other every week, which do you think is better.

There is no way i would ever try to discourage anyone from taking melee to the next level, however, not everyone is able to. I don't think that is a reason to stop playing the game though, things can change in the future.

I give up trying to talk about the finding the new players thing. From what I can gather the situation here is very different than in the Bahamas and i don't think i can make you understand.
Agreed, there is no super good scene down here and we are the best the island has to offer. Despite that why do you seem to think no one cared about being the best? Just because its illogical to you? Same things I say in my response to your last post, so i wont even bother.

You say your not discouraging anyone from playing melee for real, but your whole mindset is discouraging. Not everyone is able to take the game to the next level? thats not true, anyone can, maybe not by themselves but we have more than enough players who played the game at a good level to be 100% better than we are now. Its the lack of passion that truly killed it for me, and you best believe that is why the scene is how it now. Saying stuff like "whats the point of doing so and so, not like youll ever beat mango anyways" is just dumb as hell. Who cares about that stuff? Your overall look on the game is not that of a competitive player and really and truly its annoying that you seem to think everyone is like that. We are aware of the situation but like i said 100x we could be 100x better.

I have to side with sinji on the notion that because you guys had a small number you gave up. There are alot of ppl interested in smash in jamaica..i know because you guys have AlOT more ppl living there, than what lives in the bahamas. You guys just have bad advertising strategies. I feel like i live in a hopeless place aswell, but if you really love the game you will make it work.

Sinji going to apex 2012 is probably gonna be bad for him. but he has passion. Look at you guys during olympics and other national events..jamaica carries the caribbean more than any other island and so i know with the right amount of good players you guys could be a force to be reckoned with at anything. Don't give up sinji. Like we say in the bahamas jamaica carrying on bad this lap kingman.

Another thing you guys need to realise about smash is that is an underground thing..atleast since MLG..smash survives by it's communities, which means the little ppl. It'll only be astrong as the ppl make it to be. Someone has to be the head. Everyone else can become the body and pull together to make it work. Sinji going off ain't just gonna represent himself, but all americans and other ppl at the tourney will see what "Jamaica" has to offer. I say help me out..i would if i could for sure.
You are 100% wrong that we had a small number so we gave up. Nobody gave up for that reason, and the people who did give up did it for their own reasons. You are "siding" with sinji but sinji didnt say anything like that, what he said was the truth. The scene is mangled because of the lack of passion. All there is to it. Oh you know more people are interested in smash here huh? How do you know this abcool? Im really curious. Oh i see we had bad advertising strategies. Making a thread, linking up every friday CONSISTENTLY(do you have any idea how hard i tried to make sure it was EVERY friday? do you even see the importance in this?) and putting vids on youtube, albeit a litte late, just wasnt enough was it? nah we shoulda jus done all kinds of other **** that makes no sense instead. Why do i say it makes no sense? because anyone who wanted to play for real would have been able to notice all what we did. WE noticed what we did(i met bryan and ausp through smashboards, merkuri played with us when he was down here etc etc). We dont have any obligation to do anything else, and even if we did the type of players that would have been attracted arent the hungry ones, they would be the ones we would have to beg to come out and play. This is the truth, if you think otherwise then your just flat out wrong. we dont want to babysit anyone, we want to play the damn game. You said it yourself you met people through youtube, youtubing SMASH JAMAICA will show you our vids, and you could easily get in touch with us there.

Sinji going to apex will probably be bad for him, i agree, but not because of the reasons you think. The reason it will be bad is because he has a bad rep. He posts in the fox thread like a ******(no offense sinji, but its the truth), asking all kinds of dumb questions that make no sense at all or could have easily been answered if he would open his eyes and try to play the game properly. He does have the passion, i agree, but there is more to it than that. You know how many comments ive seen in the fox thread like "Jamaica is ****ing wierd", "Jamaica is dumb" etc etc, all because of his ******* posts. Bringing this up in this context made no sense.

You really think no one knew this about jamaica? Maybe someone does have to be the head but why is no one doing it then? Lack of passion. Why doesnt sinji try to really get **** going if he really wants to play? I agree sinji will rep for all of jamaica when he goes to america, and ill support him no matter what. Thats all anybody can do.

That's the thing i am talking about. Believe it or not, ask anyone in the bahamas. Non of us started playing smash competitively or met eachother on smashboards and i have played over 30 different ppl thus far. I found most of them, believe it or not on youtube. Heck, i just met another smasher through a friend that didn't even know about smashboards, but he only found out because i told him (Check the thread if you think i am lying)

This is how i see it. Traveling is tough, but like i said, it's something you have to find a way to make it work. Catching the bus for day time events isn't much of an effort. I think what makes the situation difficult is that you guys do everything in the nighttime, which is ok, but harder to pull off and transportation is gonna be diffuclt. Remember sinji is playing this competitively, so yes, you have to go out of your way and do the upmost to play. You're essentially taking the game to the next level. If you compete at track and field and the staduim in kingston..would you say "It's only running on a track, i am not going" come on it's more to it than that, so this is how smash is to players that compete and sinji happens to be one of them. It's very disrespectful to disregards someone else's interest in something, because your veiws are different. I used to be the sameway with shounenkel and others that traveled off, but now i understand. Eachtime they went off it was to represent the bahamas, not just themselves..it might just be a game, but it's one someone is willing to travel for and that should IMO come before anything casual.
Yeah we know, we have told a few friends about smash boards too, but none of them even joined so whats the point? Why do you think we should go out and try to beg people to play smash with us? aint the case. You seem to think there are people who truly want to play on a good level out there and we just arent reaching out to them. I think thats bull**** because anyone who really wanted to play on a good level would be scouring every thing he can to find good players. Maybe it isnt like that in the Bahamas, but it is absolutely like that in jamaica.

What are you trying to say? You make it sound like someone is holding events elsewhere and we arent going because we think its too far, or that there are people out there that want to come but cant because its at night. That isnt the true at all. We are the only players who want to play smash like this in jamaica so far. You think if someone somehow said "Come to our link up" we wouldnt have gone? And then you talk about disregarding someones interests. That is bull****, because of the fact that your saying we should drop everything so sinji is as good as he can be. We should break our necks to find new players for sinji? why doesnt he?(I know youve tried sinji, im just saying it show abcool). Hell sinji's last posts have shown he doesnt care about anyone else's interests but i guess thats ok huh cuz he plays smash? It might be just a game? Fighting games are MUCH more than "just games" to all of us except maybe bryan. We support sinji anyway we can but if bryan and ausp couldnt come out due to personal issues and me and tossy dont care for smash anymore then what do you want us to do? you make it sound like we through him in the street and beat the **** out of him cuz he wants to be good in smash.

Sorry for the late reply smashboards had maintainence issues.

Believe you me!! You are more similiar than you think my friend. All everyone here listens to is culture and dancehall, love to club and *****...alot of violence and murder. No one for one second would think to put an interest in playing a video game to any sort of level outside of casual. Not to mention the amount of robberies going down.

America isn't the country it is because ppl think different..it's because some of those ppl had to say to themselves; look this game has potential and we have to make ppl see this. There was no if, buts and ants about it either. Why do you think a person running a business has to run it with an iron fist...If you truly love something ya gotta get up, get out there and make it happen. Regardless of how you think someone will precieve it.

None of what i said is your problem i am talking directly to sinji..i feel sorry for him..he reminds me of one of our smashers named Andrew aka likeness. Lived in Freeport bahamas and was the only smasher there..if his dad didn't live in nassau(where we are at) He would have probably stopped playing sometime ago. This whole debate has been all about pity for sinji.

Making it short, either you do the upmost or you don't. You guys have far better things to do and i respect that. Bryan500, thanks for the respond and nice input on your situation. I am not gonna drag it out. An i hope sinji took notes in all of this, because he is the main audience under the circumstance.
believe me when i tell you, your wrong. We have tried reaching out to people, but it never worked. America is good precisely because of why you said it wasnt. People think different there, you best believe that. And maybe if what you said is true and they didnt think different than us, they have much more people that think alike. They have much more people that think just like us. We got up and got out there for the thing we love, and the result is we found each other(no homo) and that is a result i could personally say im content with, because atleast I know we tried hard. I dont really care if you think we didnt because we really did. I cant be content with the lack of passion though. How can i be cool with the people im playing with not being anywhere near as good as they could be? If everyone touched the ceiling out here, i would still be playing smash.

You have no reason to feel sorry for sinji. He wanted to play smash and because of circumstances he couldnt play with real people for a while. I bet if he pressed and got out there like you said he would have seen different results. Why didnt he call ausp or tbm to see if he could go and play with them? why do you feel the responsibility for people getting better relies on one person, the person you call "the leader"? That is such bull**** its not even funny. Sinji could have tried to get in touch and play some smash but he didnt. even if he didnt get to play he would have tried, yet to you its "the leader" who failed. Everybody gets good for themselves, so save your pity because im sure he doesnt want it anyways.

I can speak for myself when i say I dont have "far better things to do". If something is important to me ill make time for it no matter what, because it means something to me. Thats how you should look at it. sometimes life gives you **** but thats not the reason smash "died" out here.

and with that i answered everyone with how i feel. that was seriously gay as hell...

ToSsy

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, Cross's post deserves a ****ing medal, never agreed with such a massive wall of text so much before. :yeahboi:

edit: lol'd at how there's only 1 post now

Cross.

Smash Ace
i got moderated for censor dodging and triple posting

sorry for the wall of text, i hate writing gay **** like but i just wanted to respond to everyone with how i felt. i originally wasnt going to respond to anyone but abcool but i wanted to say some stuff to the others so it ended up as a huge wall of text that was a pain in the *** to write. it took me nearly two hours to write all of it and even as i was re reading it a while ago it had lots of typos i missed before, such a pain

abcool

Smash Ace
i got moderated for censor dodging and triple posting

sorry for the wall of text, i hate writing gay **** like but i just wanted to respond to everyone with how i felt. i originally wasnt going to respond to anyone but abcool but i wanted to say some stuff to the others so it ended up as a huge wall of text that was a pain in the *** to write. it took me nearly two hours to write all of it and even as i was re reading it a while ago it had lots of typos i missed before, such a pain
You do make sense ya know. bryan had made sense to me from the get go. The thing is the point i was trying to make is you can't think for everyone. You don't KNOW everyone, so you can't say who is interested and who is not. When i say the leader i mean the Tournament organizer the person that keeps the community alive and kicking. You tend to dislike players because they aren't getting as good as you at the pace you want them to, that is selfish.

When i played smash i was one of those ppl that had learned a life lesson from it. I learned to understand ppl's feelings and how to work with them and their learning curve. No offense, but how do u know that other players aren't into the game because of the way you talk to them? or make them feel? Attitude goes a long way in trying to reach ppl socially. You claim i want you to babysit. I am telling you to not be so mean all the time and try coming off as a nice person for a change. Yea, i don't know you, but if someone reads your post they probably wouldn't even wanna show up to your FNF's.

I used to be a D*** too when it came to smash and i had a lot of haters for it, but since 2006, i have matured quite a bit and i notice the same ppl show a lot more respect for me now. Sometimes respect is all you need to get someones attention. You are kinda insulting and you are really cold hearted man. i noticed it from when i first started talking to you, but you stated that was only in the game. Idk, for sure how you guys show respect in jamaica, but with that attitude here i wouldn't have a community. (No offense) Dats my 2 cents.

Bryan500

Smash Cadet
Apart from when i wasn't in Kingston, the reason i completely stopped coming on Fridays was because as you said FNFs were over which i thought meant no more meetups at your place. I was surprised to hear from Sinji that SF4 guys were still there every week and that he was still going also and playing smash by himself lol. I would have come if I knew that.

I really dont care if all you guys claim I dont have enough passion or competitive spirit or whatever but thats just how i am. I have to be realistic, we wont get the type of Scene that US players have down here, that doesnt mean we cant still play and get better.

And Cross I surely remember telling you on Friday to read all my posts before you respond to me cuz i realize some things which i clarified later could be easily misunderstood but obviously you didn't so w/e.

• I liked how you replied to the post where I explain my motivation to get better by saying I have no motivation to get better.
  • I like how you also quoted me more than once in your replies saying some bullcrap that I would never say.
  • In my third post taking the game to the next level refers to attending and competing in high level tournaments, obviously not everyone can, there are even people in the US who want to and cant. Im not trying to say we cant get better, thats ridiculous.
  • And since it seems like you are unaware, Fun and competitiveness are not mutually exclusive i.e. having one doesnt mean you dont/cant have the other. Believe me, I was giving it my all in those FNF tournaments too.

Ausp

Smash Apprentice
you make it sound like we through him in the street and beat the **** out of him cuz he wants to be good in smash.
I couldn't help but laugh at that comment.

We got up and got out there for the thing we love, and the result is we found each other(no homo) and that is a result i could personally say im content with, because atleast I know we tried hard.
This sounds pretty homo to me... You didn't say what that thing was. It could be anything that we tried hard for...

@Abcool, Nah dude. Cross is cool. I thought he was a little gay the first night I went to FNF. He was too nice. Smiling and starting convos and ****. He is straightforward and as hard it is to accept such a quality it is still a quality. If you got to meet him you would understand. So much fun on Fridays... Fun fun fun...

Its basically the same for me what Bryan said. The announcement that FNF was over gave us the idea that there would be no more link up or we/I would have kept coming. Also, Bryan was just saying that even though we may not be at that desired level it still doesn't mean we should stop playing and it doesn't mean the game isn't fun anymore. As you guys can see, some of us are still getting better and eventually the rest of us that are playing will get better and if not, get left behind. I am now interested to see what is beyond the point where we are at.

Cross.

Smash Ace
You do make sense ya know. bryan had made sense to me from the get go. The thing is the point i was trying to make is you can't think for everyone. You don't KNOW everyone, so you can't say who is interested and who is not. When i say the leader i mean the Tournament organizer the person that keeps the community alive and kicking. You tend to dislike players because they aren't getting as good as you at the pace you want them to, that is selfish.

When i played smash i was one of those ppl that had learned a life lesson from it. I learned to understand ppl's feelings and how to work with them and their learning curve. No offense, but how do u know that other players aren't into the game because of the way you talk to them? or make them feel? Attitude goes a long way in trying to reach ppl socially. You claim i want you to babysit. I am telling you to not be so mean all the time and try coming off as a nice person for a change. Yea, i don't know you, but if someone reads your post they probably wouldn't even wanna show up to your FNF's.

I used to be a D*** too when it came to smash and i had a lot of haters for it, but since 2006, i have matured quite a bit and i notice the same ppl show a lot more respect for me now. Sometimes respect is all you need to get someones attention. You are kinda insulting and you are really cold hearted man. i noticed it from when i first started talking to you, but you stated that was only in the game. Idk, for sure how you guys show respect in jamaica, but with that attitude here i wouldn't have a community. (No offense) Dats my 2 cents.
im not trying to think for everyone, but i think its obvious to be able to tell who is interested or not by the way they act. only us were truly interested in playing the game for real. I dont dislike anyone for not getting good at a game, but its also obvious when people arent trying as hard as they can and that is annoying to me.

Playing fighting games in general has taught me loads of life lessons too, you arent alone in that respect. But i didnt need smash or any other game to teach me that other peoples feelings matter. I see no reason why people wouldnt be into the games because of the way i talk to them, i dont talk or deal with anyone badly and i try and help everyone who plays the game as much as i can. if they arent trying though, whats the point? Maybe I seem like a mean person to you, in fact maybe i actually am mean, i just dont hide and talk and ill say how i feel no matter what, if thats really being mean then i guess you could say i am a mean person. once you get to know me thats all that matters.

Maybe you were a **** "too" (I guess im a ****) and now you got shown the light or w/e, but i dont think im cold hearted or need to be shown any light or anything like that. I try to be cool with everyone, and the fact of the matter is me and the people who come to friday night fights are close friends now(most of them atleast). Maybe ill say some **** they dont want to hear sometimes but thats what being friends is all about, if you cant take something like then maybe we arent friends in the first place, esspecially since it is all related to a game. Yes thats right abcool, every single "mean" thing ive said all comes back to IN THE GAME.Your the one who is making this more dramatic than it is. I dont think sinji is a solid player, but does that mean im "mean" to him in real life? no im not. maybe you think im a big tyrant that kills kittens in his spare time, and well, thats just ok with me.

Apart from when i wasn't in Kingston, the reason i completely stopped coming on Fridays was because as you said FNFs were over which i thought meant no more meetups at your place. I was surprised to hear from Sinji that SF4 guys were still there every week and that he was still going also and playing smash by himself lol. I would have come if I knew that.

I really dont care if all you guys claim I dont have enough passion or competitive spirit or whatever but thats just how i am. I have to be realistic, we wont get the type of Scene that US players have down here, that doesnt mean we cant still play and get better.

And Cross I surely remember telling you on Friday to read all my posts before you respond to me cuz i realize some things which i clarified later could be easily misunderstood but obviously you didn't so w/e.

• I liked how you replied to the post where I explain my motivation to get better by saying I have no motivation to get better.
  • I like how you also quoted me more than once in your replies saying some bullcrap that I would never say.
  • In my third post taking the game to the next level refers to attending and competing in high level tournaments, obviously not everyone can, there are even people in the US who want to and cant. Im not trying to say we cant get better, thats ridiculous.
  • And since it seems like you are unaware, Fun and competitiveness are not mutually exclusive i.e. having one doesnt mean you dont/cant have the other. Believe me, I was giving it my all in those FNF tournaments too.
I didnt have you up for stopping to show up, I know it was some personal **** and i said it in the post many times. Dont think i have you or ausp up for that, you guys told me you just couldnt come the last few weeks it was being kept. As for the sf4 players being there every week, the truth is it was just me and some friends chilling. infact it wasnt even any sf4 players just some friends who are trying to learn marvel. I even told ausp all the **** weve been keeping up and it really wasnt anything like friday night fights. Im the one who called sinji the first time and told him to come over and chill because i knew he didnt have anything doing fridays, and he just ended up playing smash on his own and chillin with us. What im trying to clarify here is, i didnt tell the smash players to **** off and tell everyone else to keep coming anyways. In truth, it was only maybe 6 of us most of the times. Sometimes the others would show up(just like friday gone).

Thats just how you are, fair enough, but I dont see why you were talking for everyone in your posts. Be "realistic" if you want, but dont think thats the only way to play smash down here.

• I didnt say you have no motivation to get better, i said you dont care about pushing the game as far as it goes, even if its just out here. maybe im wrong here, and if i am im sorry but thats just how it seems to me. Just like how abcool sees me as freeza, its just how it seems.
  • Please, weve argued many times and ive heard you say lots of times that you wont ever be as good as mango or shiz anyways. If you say this aint true, you have selective memory.
  • my bad *****
  • I never said they were, and i have loads of fun playing all the games i play competitively. But that doesnt mean i see them as an idle "just a fun way to pass the time" thing. And thats what im referring to in my posts, because thats how it seems you see smash.

@Abcool, Nah dude. Cross is cool. I thought he was a little gay the first night I went to FNF. He was too nice. Smiling and starting convos and ****. He is straightforward and as hard it is to accept such a quality it is still a quality. If you got to meet him you would understand. So much fun on Fridays... Fun fun fun...

Its basically the same for me what Bryan said. The announcement that FNF was over gave us the idea that there would be no more link up or we/I would have kept coming. Also, Bryan was just saying that even though we may not be at that desired level it still doesn't mean we should stop playing and it doesn't mean the game isn't fun anymore. As you guys can see, some of us are still getting better and eventually the rest of us that are playing will get better and if not, get left behind. I am now interested to see what is beyond the point where we are at.
wow so you thought i was a lil gay? thats ****ed up tbh. and yeah thats jus how i am, no hide and talk, no going around people, just upfront with everything.

I explained what happened after friday night fights were done to bryan, we were just chilling. Last time was the first night since fnf was over that so many people came out.

abcool

Smash Ace
Ohh no. I was never a **** to anyone at all. But as i became a TO i had to learn that ppl i would meet or talk to will not be friends of mine. I can't just go talking to everyone like i know them or use any kind of language around them. I also learned to be more encourgaing to others. The friends i have, i have been friends with since 1st grade and we still cool, so i know that my attitude was not something i had to fix. It was the way i handle situations i am unfamiliar with. Ex. could be other ppl's learning curve and newer players an there annoying habits.

You made your point though, jamaica is ya country and you already know what you wanna do. No point is dragging this on. I like a good debate, but everything stated is a matter of opinion and it's not my position to judge anyone's actions in their own country. I'll apologize for saying you didn't try hard enough and leave it at that.

Bryan500

Smash Cadet
Please, weve argued many times and ive heard you say lots of times that you wont ever be as good as mango or shiz anyways. If you say this aint true, you have selective memory.
dude I would remember making a statement like that. The closest I can think is when we were arguing about whether or not someone can have a natural talent for smash or any game for that matter. But even then you would have to take something out of context to come to that cuz even if i believed that it, still wouldn't affect how much effort I put into the game cuz I want to be the best I can be and I know i can be a lot better.

wow so you thought i was a lil gay? thats ****ed up tbh.
bahahhahahhhahshhahhha :rotfl:

@abcool I hope you dont feel like were trying to alienate you or something. I for one appreciate that you follow our thread and give your opinions and try to help even though its really of no direct benefit to you. Its nice to see the thoughts of someone who is apart from the situation sometimes and even though our situations are different in some ways its still similar in a lot of ways too.

abcool

Smash Ace
It's all cool with me. I respect you guys. In fact jamaica having a smash community seemed to spark interest in the players here for some odd reason, so you guys were an inspiration in your own way.

Cross.

Smash Ace
ehhh, i said everything i wanted to say in the posts so ill jus leave it at that if no one else wants to argue anymore

sorry if i came off as an ***, i didnt want to be but chances are, i really am one, who knows

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Well Im glad Cross got everything out of his system.

I havent been on the boards for a while because my charger for my laptop was giving trouble.

Those stupid comments i made on the fox thread, i stoped that a long time ago.

I give advice to new players whenever i can. You refer to me a the old Sinji. The one that used to run off his mouth all of the time, go on random threads and say how great jamaica is (when were not). I cant blame you for that. I mean you haven't been on the boards for some time.

You calling me selfish is absolutly wrong. Remember, you was the one that posted I quit smash and you was the one that posted no more FNF's. So obviously no one would come. I mean you came up with the thread. The only reason I would come is because i live 5 minutes away from you. Seeing everyone playing SSF4 and MVC3 got me angry because you only posted the news on one site (smashboards). I dont know if you have a Jamaica thread on Shouruken.com. but the fact is that you posted the news on smashboards and smashboards only. Thats what turned everyone away.

You can call me ruxy or hate my play style, but at the end of the day I gained knowledge on smashboards. When smashboards got their new design, they set up their site in a way that its easier to find threads that can help your gameplay. Ive read 5 threads for 3 hours and gained a lot of knowledge (while you weren't on the boards). I realized that the game is more deeper then it is.

On the fox thread i give advice now. And the other players applaud for my advice. You can troll my post if you want to ( I mean you do that all the time). But all youl'l see is knowledge being displayed on the fox boards. You too Tossy ( cause you troll me all the time LOL).

You can hate my play style. Its alright. But at the end of the day in my heart i learned somthing that friday. I have a passion for smash. For instance, look at m2k. No one likes his ledge grabs. One ledge grab and your done. But at the end of the day, he's on top. Or Hbox. No one likes his bairs. But at the end of the day, he's on top. Like what woobles said ( haters gona hate) and your one of them beleive it or not. So you can call me ruxy or hate my playstyle, but at the end of the day, i have a passion for smash.

But I have to thank you cause your the one that got me back into melee. And you was the one that begged me to join smashboards. I thank you for that cause I learned a lot.

Cross.

Smash Ace
Well Im glad Cross got everything out of his system.

I havent been on the boards for a while because my charger for my laptop was giving trouble.

Those stupid comments i made on the fox thread, i stoped that a long time ago.

I give advice to new players whenever i can. You refer to me a the old Sinji. The one that used to run off his mouth all of the time, go on random threads and say how great jamaica is (when were not). I cant blame you for that. I mean you haven't been on the boards for some time.

You calling me selfish is absolutly wrong. Remember, you was the one that posted I quit smash and you was the one that posted no more FNF's. So obviously no one would come. I mean you came up with the thread. The only reason I would come is because i live 5 minutes away from you. Seeing everyone playing SSF4 and MVC3 got me angry because you only posted the news on one site (smashboards). I dont know if you have a Jamaica thread on Shouruken.com. but the fact is that you posted the news on smashboards and smashboards only. Thats what turned everyone away.

You can call me ruxy or hate my play style, but at the end of the day I gained knowledge on smashboards. When smashboards got their new design, they set up their site in a way that its easier to find threads that can help your gameplay. Ive read 5 threads for 3 hours and gained a lot of knowledge (while you weren't on the boards). I realized that the game is more deeper then it is.

On the fox thread i give advice now. And the other players applaud for my advice. You can troll my post if you want to ( I mean you do that all the time). But all youl'l see is knowledge being displayed on the fox boards. You too Tossy ( cause you troll me all the time LOL).

You can hate my play style. Its alright. But at the end of the day in my heart i learned somthing that friday. I have a passion for smash. For instance, look at m2k. No one likes his ledge grabs. One ledge grab and your done. But at the end of the day, he's on top. Or Hbox. No one likes his bairs. But at the end of the day, he's on top. Like what woobles said ( haters gona hate) and your one of them beleive it or not. So you can call me ruxy or hate my playstyle, but at the end of the day, i have a passion for smash.

But I have to thank you cause your the one that got me back into melee. And you was the one that begged me to join smashboards. I thank you for that cause I learned a lot.
there is no jamaica thread else where so why dont you just shut the **** up. i personally told everyone i aint hosting any sessions at my house anymore, there is no thread anywhere else to post in. you got mad over nothing because the only people that were coming were the ones who i went to school with an we would just chill after class on friday. i called u and tossy after and told u sometimes we link up. The reason i called u selfish was because all of you posts before this were selfish, u make it sound like smash is the only game that matters. maybe to you it is but thats not the case for everyone else. Me choosing to end friday night fights didnt "turn everyone away", how do you even have me up for that? look how long i hosted it, my house was getting destroyed and i was getting all kinds of other ****. when red alert closed down whos fault was that? no ones. thats just how things go sometimes. the fact of it is u coulda still tried to get into contact with the other smash players if you really wanted to play. but nah its all my fault cuz i turned everyone away. suppose i moved away, would it be my fault that no one plays smash out here too?

wow you read 5 threads for 3 hours while i wasnt on the boards and realized the game is much deeper than it is. so what? what does that mean? what are you trying to say? they applaud your advice, good ****. and? i dont even get what your trying to say here.

i dont hate your playstyle, i think its stupid. people hate m2ks play style because he plays gay as hell, but still solid and efficient. all you do is run around and press buttons, those are two very different things to compare. you misunderstand, im not hating on your playstyle because you play cheap like m2k, im telling you your playstyle is dumb.

you can say all you want about me being a hater on your style, me being selfish for ending friday night fights(even though you are the one whos being selfish by even thinking that) or saying its my fault smash "died" out here because i told the smash players fnf was done(hell if you even read my post to bryan you would see i talked about that, but oh well) but truly, i dont even care anymore. you can think what you want. and you can go on thinking your amazing if you want and giving advice to whoever in the fox thread and getting applause or w/e. do your thing. no one is stopping you. i love how you make it seem like im stopping you from playing smash. just do you.

Circle.

Smash Rookie
lol, I've been trolling sinji for a couple pages now. z-z (Lol I accidentally posted on this account, win)

Bryan500

Smash Cadet

This is on Howard Cooke highway in mobay, I swear I didnt do this lol I just saw it as i was passing in a taxi. Im hella famous dudes, L.A. Lewis status :pimp:

Top Bottom