• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Interweb Falco School - Nows it's Assignment 3!

technomancer

Smash Champion
Eww gross, no youtube... :/ everyone good work on the homework, a common theme seems to be missing questions 5 and 7. Mach was using alot of slightly advancing full jumps to get around the lasers, and was trying to avoid shielding them (he'd usually shield one and then try to advance). And there were alot of n-airs flying around, but Mach did alot of DD grabs as well which were really messing up Hiko (full credit for both).

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
Homework 2 (went to friends house to do this, supposedly im getting internet on monday at my house =) so maybe ill get youtube =p)

Questions: Match 1 - Offensive
What did you see out of forward that you don't usually see in Falco vidoes? (just pick one thing)
He used his shine as an approach.

Why is it important to be original and inventive at high levels of play?
So that people won't know exactly what to do against you and to confuse (mindgame) them into giving you the advantage.

What role did the stage play in this match?
The stage's size made them be close together the whole time and limited approaches. The platforms limited movement for both charactars, primarily Darkrain.

When Darkrain teched on a platform, how did Forward usually follow it?
He attacked with a short quick attack (usually shine but a couple bair's and lasers)

Question: Match 2 - Defensive
What was Mach Dash's most common response to Hiko's laser spam?
Shield one or two of them, then try to jump up to Hiko and nair/stomp him

Hiko played well, but made a few mistakes. Try to pick out a few (2-3)
At :25 Hiko's SHL turned around and shot the wrong direction, at the end he let Mach back onto the edge, and at :57 he messes up his SHL again

Mach Dash's offense generally started with what attack?
Nair

...and how did Mach Dash usually land that attack?
By guessing where Hiko would be when the hitframes come out.

(P.S., it's not EriqQ, its EriQ)

Vro

Smash Lord
Turning in HW first..

Match 1
1. Forward used a lot of short hop > shine > jumps.
2. It's important to be original so that you don't become predictable. Also, Forward did those jumping shines to avoid Falcon's grab, one of his deadliest weapons.
3. Forward stayed on the platforms by use of waveland to make sure Dark Rain couldn't air combo him to hell.
4. Forward usually dropped beneath and would attempt to follow with a bair.

Match 2
1. Shield > Jump
2. 0:25 Facing wrong way with lasers; 1:17 Started charging usmash; 1:44 Failed edgeguard
3. Nair
4. Behind him.

wazgood

Smash Ace
k i did beginner and intermediate no problem but i have trouble waveshining for the advanced

edit: i can wavedash out of a shine i just cant shine->wd->shine -> wd repeat

krndandaman

Smash Cadet
Questions: Match 1 - Offensive
What did you see out of forward that you don't usually see in Falco vidoes? I saw that he did 1 jump, shined, and did another jump usually with an aerial which you usually don't see with falcos.
Why is it important to be original and inventive at high levels of play? If you aren't, you can be easily predicted and they can anticipate your moves
What role did the stage play in this match? He moved around the platforms with the use of wavelanding and WD and really limited the use of falcon's aerials. Capt. Falcon didn't get to use as much aerials as you would normally see with falcons
When Darkrain teched on a platform, how did Forward usually follow it? I saw that forward usually followed with a shine+dair. he once did a spotdodge+grab as well. he basically waits for falcon to get up then strikes

What was Mach Dash's most common response to Hiko's laser spam? Shielding
Hiko played well, but made a few mistakes. Try to pick out a few (2-3)
I didn't like the multiple fulljump+fairs... that left him very vulnerable to an attack, he did really bad at edgeguarding (especially at the end)
Mach Dash's offense generally started with what attack? I saw lots of nair+knee and dair+knee
...and how did Mach Dash usually land that attack? I saw that mach dash usually got close to hiko to the point that hiko couldn't spam his laser and then proceeded to do a nair+knee or dair+knee or a grab+knee

Brakedown

Smash Cadet
Questions: Match 1 - Offensive:
1:Edgegurading, ALOT.
2:Because you never know what the other player can do.
3:platforms offered alot of sneak Nairs
4:with an ariel.

1:shielding and short hopped ariels
2:Failed edgeguards and flubbed techs
3:SHFFL'd nairs, SHFFLing

[ 70-80% ] I did the beginner assignment, and did well
[X ] I had some trouble with the intermediate assignment

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Great Idea

Hey technomancer, I really appreciate the school of falco idea. I would love to apply:

Name: Sliraobe God
Handle (Tag): Neil, also my real name if you wanted to know :laugh:
Region: I live in the Southwest region, Albuquerque, New Mexico, to be specific.
Short Description: I consider myself an advanced falco, knowing all the basics and technical aspects of melee (including most guides such as Wak's Advanced How To Play, and Alphazealot's/Uncle Kenny's Official Everything Topic). I can do virtually anything falco specific, from shffling to multishining, but nothing extreme (e.g. silent wolf).
I play smash not only because the idea of pitting your favorite Nintendo characters into vicious battle appeals to me, but also because the many friends I've made and how appreciative I am of the smash community as a whole. Also, as for my tournament experience, I have been active in Albuquerque since March 2007, attending all monthlies, and even hosting a number of fests myself. The only big tournament I have been to was the National Midnight Gaming Championship tourney at Dallas in October 2007, and there KOS-MOS beat Wobbles for $3000 :dizzy:
What I want to learn more about as a falco is mindgames. The one thing my friends advise me to work on is simply mindgames. :p

- Improve Quality of Play in SSBM. Playing to win, as opposed to playing flashy and risky, and improving the well-roundedness of intermediate level Falco players, enabling them to better adapt to many situations and allowing them to enjoy the competitive scene in a frustration-free way that comes with learning and making friends.
I understand the assignments and all, but how will practicing stuff like a full variety pillar actually help me achieve such goals like enabling me to adapt in a variety of situations and improve in SSBM overall (excluding the technical skill aspect)? I mean, I understand how it could help my technical consistency and mental fitness, but perfecting a waveshine/jc grab doesn't seem to help me play to win instead of play flashy.

Thanks again technomancer.
EDIT: LOL at Mathos' Spamming grade :)

technomancer

Smash Champion
I'm assigning Lunin's Seven Habits of a Professional Smasher as next assignment's homework, there is a chunk about mastering technical skill to the point where it is automatic. Also, being in AZ, you've probably seen a lot of Forward's Falco, probably even learned a few things playing him, like when to apply technical attacks; many of the Falco players in the school aren't near that level yet and will need to practice tech skill on a regular basis to improve, otherwise they will become frustrated trying to apply them in-match and fail to learn about gameplay that incorporates advanced techniques into itself.

While I'll admit that actually using the advanced lesson in-game will not give automatic wins, the point is to improve finger dexterity on already technical players and make it easier to do advanced techs on the fly so they don't have to think as much during gameplay.

So, during technical assignments, I'm planning on assigning gameplay video homework, with a top-level matchup, and then a matchup that I feel illustrates good, standard high level play (like a Rob$ matchup). During movement/spacing based assignments. I'll assign more thinking about the game assignments, and to be honest those are difficult to come up with.

One thing I cannot stress enough is that the Interweb Falco School is not a substitute for Tournament Play. It's also not a substitute for practicing with a friend, but the drills here can give you some ideas, and get you focused on imprioving.

For those waiting on some updates to the grading, I'm doing it as we speak.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Yoshido
Atlantic South region: Columbia, Sc
I know how to shl, wavedash, shine cancel an what not. But what my falco doesn't have is experince, and a lack of variety in a aproaches. And I can barely combo. I play smash for a competetive rush. Its fealls good fighting. And its always on my mind. It keeps me sain lol. I picked up falco to help yoshi out against some of his bad matchups.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Yoshi is too good :D

Assignment 3 is in the works, I'll post it within the next couple of days when I get some time off from work.

luigidude90

Smash Apprentice
- Name - luigidude90
- Scotland
- I know a fair amount about the game but not enough i dont think, i play the the game every day to better myself and also to achieve tournament level play, basically i need to know how and when to use certain advanced techniques and how to combo better. i can do all the advanced stuff, i just find it really hard during a real match.

i PM'd this too incase you dont see it if others post after me.

wazgood

Smash Ace
i could SHL no problem before i signed up, and i can do everything in the assignment no problem except for the shine JC grab

1) Prediction
2) Case Constructions
3) Spontaneity
4) Dynamic Reactions
5) Patience
6) Unpredictability / Conditioning
7) Strong Mindset / Emotional Control

most of these are just about having mindgames and being unpredictable
exploit weaknesses

8) i should work on predictions. i can only predict noobs who dont know any advanced techs. maybe i should play in more tournies?

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name: Requiem/Wingz35

I can wavedash, waveland, do all the edge atacks ( edge hop lazer etc) shl ( only approaching and in place atm), just have trouble using them in combat. I just started out falco yesterday because I've been getting a bit sick of peach (my "main").

I like the concept!

technomancer

Smash Champion
Thanks Wingz, welcome aboard.

School is coming along nicely, I'll be looking for a second instructor soon, so if you feel qualified, PM me.

Requirements are:
Good tournament standing (you don't have to win every game but be able to beat some people)
Decent Grammar and Formatting skills.
Solid record of improvement
Full understanding of all techniques, as well as ability to critique intelligently.

Application: Submit a sample assignment/homework; look at the past assignments if you want a template or just roll from scratch.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Im Hell aka oskurito, from lima-peru.
I know everything... waveshine, shl, rshl, the retreat aproach retreat thing,double shines, wavedash and waveland, I can combo pretty well (i usually kill people out of 1 combo) I use the laser + wavedash/jab and f-tilt combos/aproaches (laser>jab>shieldgrab/grab; laser>ftilt into w.e; dair>jab>ftilt/grab.. etc.) but I have some trouble with the edge hop turn around double laser.

Homework
1.What is a waveland?
an air dodge on the ground(jump>waveland) and platforms. For spacing or show-off likejump>shine>turnaround>jump>waveland, basicly pacing and mindgames

2.Why do Falco players jump when they shoot lasers?
because they get rid of the lag of the standing laser, plus they can shoot while moving.

3.Why do you think I asked you to use the C-stick during the assignment?
because is faster, easier and doesn't miss

4.Which of Falco's smashes will hit a player the fastest?
f-smash and d-smash

5.Name a professional or retired professional player who is good at dash-cancelling.
Forward? lol

Do you really need to record to get graded on techs? lol or can i just post one of my old matches were I use them?

PD. this is too funy

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
1) Prediction - Guessing what your opponent does before they pull out thier attack, then finding a way to counter it for your benefit.

2) Case Construction - Knowing all your opponent's possible actions when the opponent does a specific thing, remembering what he commonly does, then punishing it accordingly.

3) Spontaneity - Being random so your opponent has a harder time reading you.

4) Dynamic Reactions - Changing your actions to keep your opponent from punishing you.

5) Patience - Waiting for an opening or a specific thing your opponent does to punish.

6) Unpredictability / Conditioning - Guess what your opponent thinks you will do, and change it up in his face.

7) Strong mindset / emotional control - Don't get frustrated or flustered and if you can't do something you wanna, find another way to do it without harming your chances of winning.

8) I tend not to be patient in my smashing, I'm a tad agro-aggressive. Lately I have been changing my style to implement this (some scrubby player has been bugging me with constant roll or shield > dsmashes with pikachu. I don't like to not 4-stock this guy...) Instead of attacking all the time, I try to wait for his roll and i grab him, wait for his tech roll or ground roll, approaching SHL to another grab. I also wait for his up > b when recovering and punish accordingly.

A basic drill I could do is play against my other friend (Ganon, best person in my area =( ) and try to figure out when he does his fairs (main move he manages to hit me with) and stop him. (He changes it up a lot, so I can be patient and try to read his changes as he comes up with them)

9) 4 stock Ganon vs Falco on FD

Stock 1: Take a Ganon and pillar him with nair > shine > dair > double shine > bair , wait till he rushes me, wavedash backwards, grab, bthrow towards edge, and nair. Laser him while he's off the edge, jump off and nair (tip of the foot so he moves horizontally) to a double jump where I phantasm back to the edge where I'm under him just far enough so if he fast falls he'll get meteor spiked, but quick enough so he can't stomp me. If he gets phantasomed he's dead, if not i'll hold the edge till he dies.

Stock 2: Stay on the edge till he tries to rush (his invincibility runs out) double laser from edge to stop him then SHFFL'd fair > jab > jab > grab > uthrow > full hopped rising dair > laser whichever way he techs. When he comes do a triangle jump at ground level behind him, utilt > SHFFL'd bair > turn around and dair him to his doom.

Stock 3: Wait till they aren't invincible and approach with a nair. Get gayed by a wizard's kick to an edge-guard =(. Laser at the Ganon when he comes back to the level. Approaching laser once, then a full hop triple laser to prevent jumping > SHFFL'd uair > bair > approaching laser > grab > fthrow > wavedash towards them > ftilt > grab the edge for invincibility and instantly jump up > bair. Hold the edge and try to be invincible as the Ganon comes each time till he dies.

Stock 4 : Approaching laser them and stop just out of Ganon's grab range and shield. When Ganon attempts to shield grab, wd > shine > pillar up to 50'ish%. Keep attacking till about 120%, and approaching laser him and stop out of his shield grabbing range again and shield. When he attempts to grab, wd > dtilt and win =)

That was a long assignment =p

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As for the assignement:
1. Prediction.
Being able to know what the opponent is gonna do before he/she oes it.

2.Case construction.
Being able to keep track of what the opponent can do when... I think.

3.Sponteinity
I gues you can wrap it up with: Not being predictable.

4.Dynamic Reactions.
Automaticly reacting in the right way without even thinking.

5.Patience.
Being able to wait and analyze instead of rushing in.

6.Unpredictability/Conditioning.
Being able to not be a repetition of yourself.

7.Strongest mindset/emotional controll.
Being able to controll your emotions, for example: not going down under the pressure someone is applying to you but keeping a cool clean mind.

Important: A combination of conditioning and prediction, I am good at predicting my opponent and knowing what he will do, like in what way he will come off of the ledge, but I dont use it often enough.

Basic drill: play a 4 stock match against a friend, keep thinking of how and what he will do and try to apply it untill it becomes second nature.

MajiNfraze

Smash Apprentice
just a thought, might wanna post old assignments so those of us who just spotted this fancy thread can catch up.

spanx,
majn

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Prediction- Being able to test, and predict the oppents actions.

Case Constructions- This is mapping out all the posible outcomes from any situation your in.

Spontaneity- Is being random. Not doin the same move over and over. but keepin your opponent guessing.

Dynamic Reactions & Movement- Switching up movements in the relm of defence, or attack that keeps your oppent guessing

Patience- Waiting on a weak point to show up. Then capitlizing on it.

unpredictible- this is a combination of dynamic reactions and spontaneity. this mean your oppent can't read many of your movements.

Strong Mindset/ Emotional controll- This is staying focus on the objective in the match. Not letting nervousness or fears get in the way of your actions.

Chunking- seting your reflexs and mind to be able to counter other peoples reactions
* The habbit that i have a problem with is Unpredictbilty/ Conditioning. My falco usually gets sheild grab so i need to change up his game. Excuse me but Im gonna have to use yoshi for more examples since i have more understanding of where the match goes wrong for yoshi than i do falco. For instance when i play most high tier characters. i want to land a down tilt. I might throw out a few jabs. But when i go for it. I get hit with a flying nee that jumped over the tilt. So one thing i could do to change that. is instead grab or jump away then rdjc neutral air. Their by defeating the knee and i dont get sheild grabed. Another thing i could do. is when i run out of ideas on what to do against the oppent. I could start to watch him alot more closely. That way i won't be in the dust sometimes. Even if its just for 2 seconds. Thats enough to get me on leve ground. some things i could do to improve unpredictbility with falco would be incoporating shines more. Watching the range of me and the oppent at all times. Thanks tech this was great. I should have the bonus done around sunday.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
[ X ] I did the assignment, and did well
[ ] I had some trouble with the beginner assignment (specify and I'll help you out)
[ ] Skipped this one (add a reason if you like)

nice1

Smash Lord
1. Prediction- guess what the opponent does before hand

2. Case Constructions- remembering what the opponent does and limiting it.

3. Spontaneity- being unpredictable, doing a move the opponent would least expect it at times.

4. Dynamic Reactions & Movement- Changing up your style at times.

5. Patience- waiting for a mistake your opponent makes a mistake.

6. Unpredictability / Conditioning- making your opponent guess what might be commin and if they are wrong u can exploit it until they figure it out or keep changing and have them guessing

7. Strong Mindset/Emotional Control- Being mad after being behind a stock and not thinking of a plan, just going all out and letting your anger get the best of you.

8.Chunking- Having your hands already set to do a move.

9. I think I need more patient in this game. I have 8 minutes and 4 stocks to put my opponent away but I try to end it too quick I realize that theres still a lot of time left after the match when I win or lose. That’s most of the reasons I lose a few matches.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Am I passing??

if not i would like some extra credit
Hova due to unforeseen circumstances you are failing, no extra credit but I will change your grade for gaysex with plank, me on top

School: I'm back, let me go through and grade everyone and make sure that you all didn't fail, and assignment four will be out shortly. Assignment 3b: Find someone near you that smashes and wants to learn about the game!

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
Hey, due to a bunch of real life stuff, I've been and am going to be unable to play Smash for a little while. If I'm still counted as a student by the time I can play again, I'll catch up.

.NRG

Smash Rookie
NRG
Northern Germany, Europe
I can do pretty much everything.. like WS turnaround.. moonwalks, Shine oos waveland movement and so on.. im quite good at techskill ^^

I want to work on DI and Prediction.. mind and so on ;D

Top Bottom