• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Interweb Falco School - Nows it's Assignment 3!

technomancer

Smash Champion
Signups are always open! Lesson 2 is posted.
We're Looking for a Second Instructor - PM me if you're interested
Teacher's Note: Technomancer is busy moving to Vegas, and will not be available to update this thread for a few days, starting Wednesday.

Assignment 3 and Homework 3 are now Posted, this weeks topic is Lasers! Instructor's Note: I assigned all the laser techniques that I can think of that are commonly useful, but that doesn't mean they apply to all situations and should be spammed relentlessly with your new mixups. Remember, top players like Bombsoldier, Lambchops, Forward, and Shiz hit with a HUGE percentage of their lasers, usually almost all of them are either right on target, hitting a shield, or narrowing down a valid option. Lasers should always be aimed at something in match play.

*School Goals*
- Improve Quality of Play in SSBM
. Playing to win, as opposed to playing flashy and risky, and improving the well-roundedness of intermediate level Falco players, enabling them to better adapt to many situations and allowing them to enjoy the competitive scene in a frustration-free way that comes with learning and making friends.
- Improve Technical Consistency. Falco is a technical character, and learning to combo to the full extent of his potential, laser effectively in varied environments (being able to build damage and camp on stages like Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, and Poke Floats, and using platforms), and shield pressure.
- Improve Mental Fitness. As a game where the choices you make during a match, during a set and even attitude outside of the game affect your ability to compete, SSBM requires a high level of understanding and decision making before you even sit down to play. Knowing the ins and the outs of the mental game makes players more confident and more successful, because having a plan is always better.
- Provide Personal Help. Most posts on smashboards and gamefaqs are answered generically, the same advice handed out in every thread, often times with multiple people chiming in just to agree, repeat someone, or tell you to play more like the pros. However, your friend's Link probably plays nothing like my friend's Mario, and the school prides itself on developing personal solutions that guide individuals to an advanced level of thought and play.

Instructors
Technomancer - Head Instructor/Organizer
Other Instructors please PM me, link me to some of your good posts. All I require is a good knowledge of the game w/ tourney experience, some relevant posts on smashboards, and a history of improvement, and being named DaShizWhiz... lol just kidding.
Smashboards.com - You guys are welcome to chime in when you have something to say :D

Student Application
Post it up or PM me, either is fine.
- Name/Handle
- Your region
- A short description of what you know, why you play the game, and what you'd like to learn. Let us know if you can SHL, Wavedash, Dash-dance, etc.

Lesson Plans See Old Lessons Here!

Assignment 3
Laser (
omg hax) practice

Variety Drills

Spamming standing SHLs is an ok strategy, but if that's all you do then people will just jump over it. Here's some variety drills to teach you about different tricks to do with your best (but never your only) weapon
Perform each of the following types of lasers 3 times in a row.

SHL - Standing
SHL stands for Short Hop Laser

SHL - Approaching
Smash Forward to dash, center the stick, jump, press B to fire a laser then quickly tap down to fastfall. Try to dash and jump again immediately. 3 times both directions.

SHL - Turn-around Left
Fire an SHL facing left, then short hop again, quickly tap away on the stick and center it, and fire again. You should perform a second laser facing the opposite way that you started. Repeat this to turn around and face the first direction, and then repeat the whole thing 3 times total.

SHL - Turn-around Right
Same as above, just start by firing right.

SHL - Retreating
Combine the approaching laser with the turn-around lasers to perform retreating turn-around lasers. Dash in a direction, jump, tap in the opposite direction, quickly center the stick, press B, and fastfall. 3 times each direction.
Hova is exempt from this exercise.

Retreat Approach Retreat
Do a retreating laser, an advancing laser, then another retreating laser, and repeat the whole thing 3 times.

Pivot Reverse Laser
Dash, and then press the opposite direction and jump in the same moment, then just do a standard SHL to do a pivot lasers. Your jump won't have any momentum behind it, and this is very good for keeping tight on someone.

Slowzer
Short hop, and hold off a second before firing the laser, and don't fastfall. Try to make the laser come out as low as possible. This is just a timing mixup, and can be good if people are power shielding your lasers.

FH3L - Full-Hop, triple Laser
Full hop and tap B immediately and repeatedly to fire three lasers in one jump. The first two should come out at approximately the same height, and you should get in the habit of fastfalling after the third laser comes out.

DJFF (doublejump fastfall) Double Laser
Jump, and double jump IMMEDIATELY, and press B to fire the first laser, which should come out at the height of your jump, where you can quickly fastfall and fire a second laser as you hit the ground. You should be able to get the second laser at ground level.

DJ Platform Double Laser w/ Platform Drop Laser
Double Jump under a low platform, and press B twice to perform a double jump platform laser, so you can shoot two nicely placed lasers and then cancel the lag on the platform. Try to fastfall after the second laser comes out to improve your speed even more. Then drop (or Isai Drop if you know how) through the platform and fire another laser before you land.

EHDL - Edgehop Double Laser
Grab the edge, press down, then X to jump, then center the stick and press B twice, while pressing forward on the stick so you land on the stage. If your lasers are unreasonably high, practice dropping a little lower until you get the applicable height, and if you are missing the second laser, just practice pressing B as fast as you can after you jump.

Bonus: Combinations -
If you like, you can work on combining the different laser/jump types, in ways that make sense to you, that you would use in a match.

Technical

LPM Drill: 1 minute

Set a match timed to 1 minute, or just time yourself in training mode, with an empty second player, and SHL in place until the timer expires. Try to make sure each laser comes out at a low height (pay attention to the laser and fastfall timing).

Laser-Shine-JC Grab
Grab a lvl1 Bowser, set the handicap to 9 and yours to 1, and practice SHL Approaching into a quick shine, then quickly Jump-Cancel-grabbing out of the shine.

To JC Grab, simply press Up and Z at the same time. The jump will cancel the shine, but the grab will cancel the jump at the same time.

EHRDL
Edgehop reverse double laser
combines EHDL with reverse lasers. Drop from the stage, double jump up, and tap away from the stage, then quickly center the stick and fire two lasers out into space. Good for building a little damage and setting up for a low edgeguard or game-ending spike.

N-air to laser catch to ?
Catching someone as they are falling can be advantageous to catch them off-guard. In training mode, set a DK to around 60%, and SHFFL an N-air at him, then run forward and do an approach laser to catch him as he falls, but try to be in range of a jab when you're finished, so you can follow up with a jab, up-tilt, f-tilt, grab, or f-smash, or another aerial if you like.

Homework 3: Some Light Reading

LuninSpectra's Seven Habits of a Professional Smasher

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=73021

Lunin is a highly respected smasher, and a year ago was one of the most exceptional up-and-coming players in the game, winning a number of major CA tournaments (beating great players like Silent Spectre, and almost taking down Forward). Perfectly technical as well as creative, this article is a great read on how to take your game to the next level, no matter what your current skills are.

Questions 1-7:
Briefly describe all seven of the habits. Easy enough, right?
8. Pick one of the habits that you feel to be important but don't implement well into your game. Describe in short how you could change your style to better implement that habit, and give a basic drill that you could do, either alone, or with a partner, that would focus on improving that habit.
Bonus - read the discussion thread for more insight if you like, though it may be old, lengthy and full of flames.
Bonus: 9. Take the time to run through four stocks of imaginary play in your head, and try to think of four different ways to spend a stock building damage, four different ways to set traps and land a powerful attack or setup using those damage building methods, and four different ways to KO or edge guard the same character once you have them off.

Grading

Assignments will be graded Complete/Incomplete and you can rate yourself if you like and I'll include that in your grade. Assignments count as 50% of your total grade. Even if you already perform a tech well, you'll be expected to complete the required assignment for that tech.

Homework will be five questions per lesson, questions assigned count for 40% of your total grade (8 points each).

Activity will be 10% of your grade. If you turn in an assignment late, then you'll just lose a letter grade off the top.

As far as grading goes, that's just meant to record your level of skill comparative to other players. This is a school of self-improvement, not a school where competitive standings matter, so there will be no rankings, nor will anyone be disqualified from the school for any reason, least of all bad grades.

Not Spamming Up The Thread is also important, and you will lose points for it, even if you're not in school. Use the edit button.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Assignments and Grading:
Assignment 2 Turn-in format
[ ] I did the assignment, and did well
[ ] I had some trouble with the beginner assignment (specify and I'll help you out)
[ ] Skipped this one (add a reason if you like)

% is asking for what percent you got the training bowser up to before you stopped.

Homework
coming soon...

technomancer said:
Just post it up when you're done. If you don't do the assignement, and post it up that you totally pwned it... well you can see how that's ********.
- Post Reserved for Roster and Grading -
Name: clowsui
Region: Midwest, OH

Name: 69 (Mike444)
Region: Los Angeles
Grading Log - Assignment/Homework 1 | [A] | [5/5]
Grading Log - Assignment/Homework 2 | [A+] | [5/5] A+ for re-pimping it out after he did it a weird way the first time.

Name: tomvanharmelen
Region: Holland

Name: Vro
Region: Chicago Suburbs
Grading Log
Assignment/Homework 1 | [A] | [4.5/5]
Assignment/Homework 2 | [I] | [5/5]

Name: EriqQ )cactuarz)
Region: Central Oregon
Grading Log
Assignment/Homework 1 [A] | [ 5/5 ]
Assignment/Homework 2 [A] | [ 4.5/5 ] - Good work on the advanced assignment :D

Name: BO10
Region: Vancouver, BC
Assignment/Homework 1 | [A] | [5/5]
Assignment/Homework 2 | [A+] | [5/5] (best scores on each assignment, nice!)

Name: Zero_P
Region: Coquitlam, BC
Assignment/Homework 1 [A] | [5/5]
Assignment/Homework 2 [A] | [5/5] Good work on the advanced assignment as well :D

Name: rene/brakedown
Region: Tracy, CA
Grading Log - Assignment/Homework 1 [A] | [5/5]
Grading Log - Assignment/Homework 2 [A] | [3.5/5]

Name: Cloud (finalcloud)
Region: Los Angels, CA

Name: captainlukey
Region: Oz
Grading Log - Assignment/Homework 1 [A] | [4/5]

Name: Cobalt
Region: Not Cobol, DE
Grading Log - Assignment/Homework 1 [A] | [5/5]

Name: psychotic
Region: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Grading Log
Assignment/Homework 1 [A] | [3.5/5]
Assignmnet/Homework 2 [A] | [4.5/5]

Name: supniggz (SUP) (wuzgood)
region: twin cities minnesota
Grading Log - Assignment/Homework 1[A] | [5/5]
Homework 2 - [4.5/5]

Name: Dsyxelic (krndandaman)
region: New York
Grading Log - Assignment/Homework 1[B] | [4.5/5]
Grading Log - Assignment/Homework 2 | [4.5/5]
Name: Knight-errant
Region: Chesapeake, VA

Name: Neil (Sliarobe God)
Region: New Mexico

Name - luigidude90
Scotland

Name: Requiem/Wingz35

My handle is Nice1
Region: atlantic south in selma, alabama

Name: L-10
Region: Atlantic North ( NY )

Name: Hova, lol
Region: MD
Goals: Stop 99 stocking Techno when techno actually shows up to a tournament, beat husband
Assignment/Homework - Hova appears to be skipping class to go to video game tournaments. WTF Hova, WTF.

Spammers:
Craiig
Spamming Grade [B]

Crea
Spamming Grade [B]

Terr13
Spamming Grade [B]

Mathos
Spamming Grade [A+]

- Once Again, if you don't want to sign up or add to the discussion, don't spam the thread with things like your opinion on the concept, questions about why haven't I gone over this or that (I'm getting to it), why question #2 on homework #5 was unfair, etc. - obviously if your spamming grade gets to an F, you FAIL

Big_R

Smash Champion
if you wanna play to win just rob money it everytime.

what points do i lose if i'm not in the school? this is hella weird...

Mike444

Smash Cadet
Handle: 69
Region: Los Angeles, California

Know how to DO most advanced things like wavedash, SHL, L-cancel, dashdance, edgeguard, etc. but can't incorporate all of them while playing.

I play because I want to **** my friends and have them be like WTF that guy is amazing.

I'd like to learn how to incorporate more of the advanced techniques into my games and learn how to do combo's well.

tomvanharmelen

Smash Journeyman
I'd sign up if you take on people from holland!
know pretty much everything but my falco needs some attention ( i really need to record my play against CP's ) I don't play real people .. because well.. there's nobody in my league around here..

Now i know you think i suck because i only play CP... but well .. i don't :) im just not pro.. but i think i have the potential to get there

Vro

Smash Lord
Very Cool, I'd like to join!

Vro
Chicago Suburbs, IL

I can do basically everything. Shine, wave dash, wave shine, l-cancel, shuffle, shl, lhdl, multishines, jc ~, etc.

Right now I'm the best in my highschool/region. I've been to 2-3 tournements, doing mild at both. I just need more experience because I find none of my friends want to play with me anymore =O (say i'm too competitive...)

I love smash, i watch videos everyday, play almost everyday, train 20 hours a week. Can't wait for brawl either =D.

I'd like to learn anything I can, btw. =)

j00t

Smash Champion
Who's technomancer?

It's a good concept, but the grading system is wierd. What are the penalties if I made a 0 in the class?

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
EriQ
Central Oregon
I can SHL, wavedash out of shiled and onto edges, dashdance, shffl all my attacks, can dash-cancel, and im starting to reverse SHL (im at like 2/3rds of the time, other third i over-b off the edge)

I want to work on DI

Falco is my secondary to G&W, but i know i can't go very far with the flat guy =). Ready to learn =p

EDIT: how are ya gonna grade us doing assignments? cause video taping will be a problem for most people.

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
umm sure ill try it out...

Handle: BO10
Region: Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

Lets see I can SHL, Wavedash, L cancel, Wall tech, DI, Smash DI, Jump Cancel, Chain Throw, Do combos well, Shine Cancel, JC shines, SHFFLS, Dash Dance, etc.

I play the Game because this game is awesome and I have gone to lots of tournaments and have had lots of experence over the years of playing this game.

I would like to learn how to do more variety of combos in certain situations, How to deal with Certain characters such as Luigi or Peach, learn more Laser placings with Falco and just learn to be more consistant overall.

Zero_P

Smash Ace
ummm

Zero_P
Coquitlam, British Columbia Canada

I can SHL, Wavedash, L cancel, wall tech, need help with DI, Shine Cancel/JC shine-ish, SHFFL, DD and so on

I've had this game for a long time but I've only recently been trying to up my game to a competitive level. Now not too long ago I finally started wavedashing to the point that I don't really need to think about it and kinda happens on its own. Also, waveshining I'm pretty used to as well but still need a bit more practice.

Sadly, I have not attended any tournaments, and the most recent one I could not attend due last second family issues. Though I have played 3 smashers from coquitlam and they've been helping me out. I plan to go to as many tournaments in my area (greater vancouver) as possible to gain more experience and become a better player.

This is going to be fun :D

technomancer

Smash Champion
Who's technomancer?

It's a good concept, but the grading system is wierd. What are the penalties if I made a 0 in the class?
You don't get better at smash :D Obviously I can't slap your wrist with a ruler every time you miss an L-cancel. Everyone else: Wow people signed up lol nice, i'll add you to the roster.

>________________>
Eggz hop aboard :D I know your falco sucks.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Just post it up when you're done. If you don't do the assignement, and post it up that you totally pwned it... well you can see how that's ********.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
This is... interesting.

hey, if people wanna do this, more power; it cant hurt.

__

techno dont take this as an insult, but why falco? Unless im mistaken (which is highly possible), dont you main CapFal?

technomancer

Smash Champion
This is... interesting.

hey, if people wanna do this, more power; it cant hurt.

__

techno dont take this as an insult, but why falco? Unless im mistaken (which is highly possible), dont you main CapFal?

Falco is my tournament character, but Falcon will always be the love of my life.

But hey that *****'s got a gun what can I do

tomvanharmelen

Smash Journeyman
I should probably mention what I can do..
Wavedash, waveland, wavedash to edge, wavedash from edge, waveshine, walljump & walltech & regular techs, firebird stall, phantasm stall, SHL RSHL, Double shine, shine then immediately SHL, shine and immediately an aerial, Edgehop double laser, SHFFL pretty much flawlessly, Pillar combo's, DI, Smash DI, powershield 50% of attacks.. regular attacks as well,dash cancel, Jumpcancelled usmash & grab..

that's about it..
i need to get stuff to link together i think.. and proper spacing is a ***** in my game!
i want to play more fluid against real people.. its kinda.. slow compared to when im on my own.. a lot of hesitation while i do know what to do and what could happen

( no i dont use the CP's stupid AI to get stocks off..)

captainlukey

Smash Ace
id like to join i spose...

handle: captainlukey

brief description of mty skillz:

i can fluently do just about everything falco related, at least tech skill wise,
i have been to many tourneys...
i would like to help instruct if you need help techno...

but what i need to learn is mindgames,
ones that probly cant be taught online...

also is it cool if i only post the homework etc for the ones i need to learn?
cause it would take a lot of effort to explain all that homework stuff...
especially when its as easy as "why do falcos jump when they shoot?"
lol
thanx techno

hova

Smash Champion
i'm hova

i'm in MD

i know how to run away and shoot lasers

teach me how to beat husband

technomancer

Smash Champion
Couple of questions came by in PMs.
1) When you're done with an assignment, just post the HW up in this thread or PM me with it, and let me know that you've completed the assignment(s). You can quote the provided form and fill it out or just type words that make sense.

2) I don't care if you steal the answers from the homework from somewhere else in this thread. I'd prefer if you looked them up in a FAQ, but as long as you understand what you're writing, then it's good enough for me.

3) No videos are required, see the quote in the second post for details.

lukey, I added you as a member, pm me about instructing. As far as homework goes, what if you think you know the answer, and you DON'T????? Always more to learn, but I'll understand if you skip some.

that's about it..
i need to get stuff to link together i think.. and proper spacing is a ***** in my game!
i want to play more fluid against real people.. its kinda.. slow compared to when im on my own.. a lot of hesitation while i do know what to do and what could happen
Step 1 here is to play more against real people. The effects you are talking about are essentially TOO MUCH TRAINING MODE SYNDROME. You are paying too much attention to pushing buttons, and space poorly, because the CPU AI always walks towards you, and never dodges your attacks or moves away. Also, it's likely that you use combos on CPUs that will rarely land on intelligent humans (Dair, shine, dair, repeat stuff) and it's throwing you off. That's one of the reasons I started this school, was because most players, when they do train in training mode, only improve technical skill while sacrificing adaptability prediction in the process, much more than they realize. You're not exercising your smash brain, just your fingers.

Hova, if you want to beat husband start marines and medics and start teching Goliaths with science vessels and emp, make sure to expo when appropriate

Mike444

Smash Cadet
Hova, if you want to beat husband start marines and medics and start teching golaiths with science vessels and emp, make sure to expo when appropriate
dont forget to stim pack the firebats and SHL the battle cruiser's yamato gun

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
If you're still taking students, I'd like to sign up. Structured "school-style" informational sessions are where I work best, and since I'm trying to dual-main Marth and Falco this would be an excellent place to start.

Name: Cobalt (not to be confused with Colbol, completely unrelated)
Region: Atlantic North (Delaware, son)
As for what I know, well it's varied. I can wavedash more or less consistently. I can dash-dance easily, I can SHL though my lasers are often a bit higher than I'd like. I can do SHL tricks like a reverse SHL while retreating, stuff like that. I can shffl often, but not consistently. L-canceling tends to be my biggest problem, since I'm more inclined to hit the button in relation to the time I attack rather than the time I hit the ground (that is, if I get used to timing the L-cancel a certain way from shffling, I won't be able to L-cancel the same attack on a full jump). I can waveshine fairly well, can JC shine pretty quickly, but I can't double-shine or pillar or anything like that just yet.

I know all the terms, a few strategies, and the reasoning behind them.

As for what I'd like to learn, well I really hope to improve my tech skill. Everything that I can do I want to be able to do consistently, and I want to be able to know when to apply it all during a match. I want to be able to learn to recognize patterns and adapt my style accordingly mid-match, though I realize that comes mainly from experience.

As for why I play the game, I play to have fun. However, fun for me is improving and being the absolute best I possibly can. I want to go to at least one tournament before Brawl, and then pick up Brawl and start learning the advanced style from the get-go, hopefully becoming a fairly-respected Smasher within a couple of years of Brawl's release.

Anyway, now that that's out of the way, is the lesson plan in the first post the actual first lesson, or just an example? I think some others may have been wondering this, so I'll ask for them if nothing else.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Woo! Delaware, tell Tyrant and Tru= I said what's up and I still owe Tyrant sushi

Yes, the lesson plan in the first post is the first lesson we're going to be doing. I'll go ahead and edit up the first post. I expect nothing less than 100% from Hova.

Brakedown

Smash Cadet
Did both assignments (regular and adv.)

1: When you jump and when you land you wavedash either left or right.

2: SHL/SHB

3:C-sticking is faster compared to using analog+A

4:either his down or forward

5:Dope, Forward, Shiz, PC Chris, and Rob$

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
Woo! Delaware, tell Tyrant and Tru= I said what's up and I still owe Tyrant sushi
I wish I could; I don't know any other smashers over here. I've been playing against my brother recently, and since he can't even understand the concept behind L-canceling, it really isn't helping me get much better since I 3- or 4-stock him constantly :p

I've been trying to find people, but the DE player finder is very inactive.

Anyway, here's my assignment:

[X] I did the assignment
[X] I did the advanced assignment (and extra credit)
[ ] I did the assignment but could still use work on my Dash-Cancels.
[ ] Skipped this one (add a reason if you like)

Homework

1. A waveland occurs when you airdodge diagonally into the ground as you land from a jump. The momentum from the airdodge carries you into the ground, and the horizontal momentum carries you across it a short distance. It is similar to wavedashing in this regard, and you can do anything out of it that you could do out of a wavedash.

2. Falco players jump when they shoot lasers because doing so allows the lag from the laser shot to be canceled. While shooting from the ground, the lag caused by taking out the blaster, firing, and putting it away is quite large. However, by jumping, as long as the laser fires before the Falco touches the ground, the laser is still just as effective and the player can do anything they want as soon as they land. Jumping also allows the player to shoot while maintaining momentum, as Falco will continue his aerial path while firing an aerial laser. Shooting from the ground cancels all momentum.

3. There are several reasons the C-stick was used. First, it is unnecessary to charge smashes the majority of the time, and using the C-stick allows for the quickest possible release of the smash. Second, the C-stick is often a new, unfamiliar thing for learning players, and assigning it in a lesson like this allows one to develop familiarity with it.

4. Falco's dsmash will hit the fastest. The fsmash and usmash both have a small amount of time before the hitbox reaches the opponent, as the foot travels. Falco's dsmash is nearly instantaneous upon release.

5. I'm going to take a stab and say...Shiz?

Mike444

Smash Cadet
[x] did HW assignment
[x] did advanced HW assignment

1. wavelanding is when you dodge in the air diagonally towards the ground and u skid on the ground, sort've like a WD
2. cus theres no lag after they land
3. cus its easier to do combo's with and we should use it when we play
4. dsmash
5. 90% of people on smash boards -.- i.e. you.

Weed

Smash Lord
Its racist because he said japanese.

The term 'japanese' is a racist slur.
You've gotta be kidding me.
Someone tell me he's joking?

J4p is a racist slur, yes.. Japanese is the same as being called American or Canadian.

tomvanharmelen

Smash Journeyman
Couple of questions came by in PMs.
1) When you're done with an assignment, just post the HW up in this thread or PM me with it, and let me know that you've completed the assignment(s). You can quote the provided form and fill it out or just type words that make sense.

2) I don't care if you steal the answers from the homework from somewhere else in this thread. I'd prefer if you looked them up in a FAQ, but as long as you understand what you're writing, then it's good enough for me.

3) No videos are required, see the quote in the second post for details.

lukey, I added you as a member, pm me about instructing. As far as homework goes, what if you think you know the answer, and you DON'T????? Always more to learn, but I'll understand if you skip some.

Step 1 here is to play more against real people. The effects you are talking about are essentially TOO MUCH TRAINING MODE SYNDROME. You are paying too much attention to pushing buttons, and space poorly, because the CPU AI always walks towards you, and never dodges your attacks or moves away. Also, it's likely that you use combos on CPUs that will rarely land on intelligent humans (Dair, shine, dair, repeat stuff) and it's throwing you off. That's one of the reasons I started this school, was because most players, when they do train in training mode, only improve technical skill while sacrificing adaptability prediction in the process, much more than they realize. You're not exercising your smash brain, just your fingers.

Hova, if you want to beat husband start marines and medics and start teching Goliaths with science vessels and emp, make sure to expo when appropriate

I know what you mean...but you're wrong.. at least.. for my kind of play.. that's not the way i play.. i dont use combos that are too stupid to even mention.. i know why they dont work on humans, therefore.. i dont use those.. i look at opportunities and things like that... i know that i am likely to lose adaptation, thats why i use cps of different lvls and i dont use their flaws which i know they have... tech skill like you said is pretty much flawless, so if you need anyone to help you out with that to teach the others, im all yours!

anotherdeadcow

Smash Apprentice
haha, wow. never expected to be accused of being a racist.

as far as i know thats the most politically correct way to refer to someone native to japan, but if either of you two care to give me a better term ill gladly use it.

technomancer

Smash Champion
I blatantly pwned this post to make it the lesson repository!

Lesson 1 Outline Due 11/29
A simple assignment to get the school kicked off.

Assignments
- Introduce yourself and your Falco
- Learn the Terms
- Gameplay Assignment: Practice Dash Cancelling into All Types of Smashes
*Beginner Difficulty*
  • Dash-Cancelling is performed by pressing Down on the Analog stick while running. It will cancel your dash into a crouch, allowing you to avoid laggy dash attacks and unleash the entirety of your arsenal. Note that you cannot dash cancel in the inital part of your run! Falco will be sprinting for about half a second. This is known as the "Initial dash animation" and cannot be cancelled by crouching.
  • For this assignment, go into Vs. Mode, and play against a lvl1 Bowser opponent with the following options: 1 stock, and Handicaps On. Set Bowser's handicap to 9, and yours to 1.
  • During the match, the only moves you are allowed to use are C-Sticked smashes. You are not allowed to edgeguard the Bowser.
  • You may only attack the Bowser after you perform a successful dash-cancel.
  • Play until you win!
  • -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
- What you should learn:
  • To learn to do ALL smashes as quickly as you can after a dash cancel. Practice with the upsmash, downsmash, and forward smash in both directions.
  • To learn the timing of the initial dash animation (the part you can't cancel), so that you know when a dash ends.
  • *Bonus: Becoming more familiar with your smashes. With the handicap, it's easy to see the differences in knockback distance, and knockback trajectory, as they won't change much between hits. There are also some weird effects if you hit with certain parts of the smashes, try to find out what they are!
Advanced Lesson
Advanced lessons are included for players like BO10, who are tourney-savvy and technically accomplished, so that they don't get bored, and can keep adding notches to their belt.
  • Set up a match with the same rules as before, but with 4 stock.
  • Your assignment is to perform the same feat using Dash Cancelled tilts (Tilt the stick and press A to perform a weaker directional attack). You only have to take 1 stock off of Bowser, however, every time you accidentally perform a smash, take a suicide, and if you run out of stock, start over. Focus on the uptilt, as this is the hardest to accomplish without jumping.
  • Extra Credit: Other DashCancel attacks are fine to practice as well, and if you can do Duck Cancelled Jabs, you can practice DCing into a session of those if you like.

Homework
  1. What is a waveland?
  2. Why do Falco players jump when they shoot lasers?
  3. Why do you think I asked you to use the C-stick during the assignment?
  4. Which of Falco's smashes will hit a player the fastest?
  5. Name a professional or retired professional player who is good at dash-cancelling.
Beginner:
*For beginners that need work on their Short-Hop, Fastfall, L-Cancelling

-Move close to the Bowser
-Short hop
-Wait until you are at the peak of your jump
-Press down to fastfall, and C-stick down at the same time to perform a down air.
-Press L, R, or Z immediately to L-cancel your attack.

Repeat this until your popcorn finishes cooking. Try to increase your speed as you get better at it, and decrease the amount of time you spend in the air. The idea is to get used to doing the down aerial at the END of the jump, not at the beginning, because it leaves you vulnerable for a short time. The only move you should be doing is the down aerial, just continuously try to land the attack as you are landing, not as you are rising. Most players will benefit from doing the beginner excercise. Use the C-stick to perform the down aerial. (why? Because later on, you will use other aerials to pillar)

Intermediate:
*New players can step up your game here

Read the above text first to get the idea. Intermediates will repeat this string:
SHFFL a Down Air , hitting the end of your jump
Shine
SHFFL a Down Air , hitting at the end of your jump
Shine
Wavedash backwards (out of your shine)

If you are having any trouble doing this correctly, then continue doing it, otherwise, to improve, try mixing up which aerial you're doing between all of the c-sticked aerials, and the N-air.

Advanced:
*difficult training for players that can waveshine

Variety Air Pillaring with Waveshines - complete these strings fluently before the popcorn finishes cooking.

First string: A-button to C-stick dexterity drill
SHFFL N-air
Shine
SHFFL B-air
Shine
Waveshine forward (wavedash forward and then shine again)
SHFFL N-air
Shine
Wavedash out of shine

next string: Analog Stick Dexterity Drill
SHFFL D-air
Shine
Waveshine forward
Turn around In Shine
JC Grab

next string: Full Variety Pillar
SHFFL D-air
Shine
SHFFL B-air
Shine
Waveshine forward
SHFFL U-air
Shine
SHFFL N-air
Shine
Short Hop Laser
out of your shine
Shine

All Levels: record the level of assignment and percentage done to the Bowser by the time your popcorn finishes cooking. If you'd like to do multiple assignments, you can either sub in a 3-mintue game timer, or just do them on different days and get fat. If you're doing really well and the bowser is bouncing too far away to combo, great job! Just exit through the start menu, and start again.

Everyone: Enjoy your popcorn!

Top Bottom