• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Interweb Falco School - Nows it's Assignment 3!

technomancer

Smash Champion
I know what you mean...but you're wrong.. at least.. for my kind of play.. that's not the way i play.. i dont use combos that are too stupid to even mention.. i know why they dont work on humans, therefore.. i dont use those.. i look at opportunities and things like that... i know that i am likely to lose adaptation, thats why i use cps of different lvls and i dont use their flaws which i know they have... tech skill like you said is pretty much flawless, so if you need anyone to help you out with that to teach the others, im all yours!
I know what you mean as well, I train much the same way, but you can't practice against computers for the things that people do. I used to just watch videos, and practice combos and techs from the videos. But it doesn't teach you anything about how people move, or how to extend your combos based on people's habits, and it takes your focus when playing smash off of the opponent, or when to use your shiny new techs.

tomvanharmelen

Smash Journeyman
I know what you mean as well, I train much the same way, but you can't practice against computers for the things that people do. I used to just watch videos, and practice combos and techs from the videos. But it doesn't teach you anything about how people move, or how to extend your combos based on people's habits, and it takes your focus when playing smash off of the opponent, or when to use your shiny new techs.
I train in a different way than a lot of people.. i dont train combos.. i train for opportunities.. timing my attacks, try to get my reflexes to just react when a situation occurs, that way I do not have to worry so much about playing against comps rather than humans..
still though, I WANT TO PLAY PEOPLE! so PM me if you live in holland and want to kick my sorry ***!
technomancer..
for the techskill, I would like to help you train the people.. i think, looking at my tech skill, i can be of quite some assistance :)

psychotic13

Smash Rookie
Name: psychotic
Region: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

I know HOW to wavedash, tech, edgeguard, and SHL. Still can't incorporate everything yet. Having trouble getting the timing right for shuffling. WHat I mean by incorporate, is I have trouble pulling the move off under pressure if that makes sense.

I play SSBM cause its fun and almost entirely skill based. Little to no luck involved.

captainlukey

Smash Ace
all assignments complete including the second one involving tilts...
please mark me off...

Homework:
1. a waveland is pressing l or r to airdodge into the ground from a jump, the physics of the game will grab you and pull u across the ground for a brief period...

2. falco players jump to shoot, cause there is no lag involved (except for landing lag 5 frames i think), this makes it easy to follow up the lasers, giving falco a valuable approach)

3. for dash cancelling its a lot easier to use the c stick....

4. im not too sure but i think its the upsmash thats hits first... its a bit hard to tell wiathout goin lookin for frame data...

5. ok this was harder because i have only personally met 2 pros.. pc chris (who i beat in a set against his fox, but his falco is just too insane and he flogged me the last two sets)
and forward (his flight was snowed under and he happened to drop by one of my friends place to own us up a notch... and he did)
but i dont know enuff pros well enuff to say who uses dash cancelling... so ill rattle off a few people that ive seen do it in vids....
1.caveman
2.bombsoldier (although i dont think this is much in his style)
3.ken
4. mango
5. and my personall favorite aussy smasher who i used to play all the time back in the day...
KREVV.

i think thats it...
umm and also techno i would really like to help out with this school as ive been training some peeps at the moment...
so please send me a pm with some info on what you need me to do...
i dont have any thread references...
allthough i have posted damage information and things like that and i have a few vids lyin around i just really want to help...
and i believe my skills both tech and understanding of the game are good enuff to help out...\
thanx in advance
captainlukey out

wazgood

Smash Ace
ill join now if it isnt too late...
supniggz (SUP)
region: twin cities minnesota
i been playing w/ advanced techs for almost a year now i main marth and captain falcon and im learning falco now

i can wavedash shffl almost perfectly but im still working on my waveshine
i can SHL but i cant reverse SHL without cheating (using recoil of a super loose controller to turn myself around before the lazor)

i did the regular assignment but not the pro tilt one

1. What is a waveland? airdodge down while landing for a smooth WD like landing
2. Why do Falco players jump when they shoot lasers? movement and auto cancel upon landing
3. Why do you think I asked you to use the C-stick during the assignment? its faster
4. Which of Falco's smashes will hit a player the fastest? down
5. Name a professional or retired professional player who is good at dash-cancelling. PC Chris

Eggz

Smash Hero
You don't get better at smash :D Obviously I can't slap your wrist with a ruler every time you miss an L-cancel. Everyone else: Wow people signed up lol nice, i'll add you to the roster.

Eggz hop aboard :D I know your falco sucks.
Yeah, my falco is pretty freaking bad haha.

your welcome for the **** bump though. =D

craiigg

Smash Lord
Tbh I didn't read much more than the first 2 pages,
I just think the idea that an online smash school can teach you anything more than the falco guides we already have is just confusing =S
I'll see how this rides out, and how it provides good tactics til I properly bash it ^_^

technomancer

Smash Champion
The falco guide(s?) we already have are old as dirt, no offense to Bornfidelity.com but... yeah they're old as dirt and Falco has evolved ALOT since the days of that guide.

The school offers:
1) A variety of drills and practice techniques that will improve your finger skills and ability to mix it up
2) Motivation
3) Focus on key elements of play
4) Full Hova tutorial on how to beat Husband in tournament with Falco (it's his senior project)
5) Relaxed, pressure free learning environment to build confidence

ok maybe not #4 but that would be pretty sweet

If you can provide all these elements yourself, then there is no need to sign up for the school. Otherwise, see the end of the second post for not spamming up my thread with your opinion of my thread, I'm docking you 1 letter grade for spamming it up.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
Are these courses transferable to UCI? And if so, are any of the courses offered helpful to satisfy the Multi-cultural studies breadth requirements?

craiigg

Smash Lord
the last 2 pages were mostly spam laawl
s'all good though, you go ahead for the beginners and all ^__^

psychotic13

Smash Rookie
Finished the assignment. I also tried tilts, but that was difficult. Didn't finish it.
U-Tilt is extremely hard as you said, because of the jumping. Good thing in brawl u can disable that option.

Homework
1. I believe a waveland is where you airdodge into a platform from the air.
2. Its faster then shooting the actual laser itself while on the ground, so you can recover and start comboing faster
3. Get used to using C-Stick, because its somewhat easier to smash without jumping/dashing etc.,
and also its easier to smash out of a DC with C-Stick, cause you can still hold down on control stick while smashing.
4. Down smash, by a long shot.
5. No idea, I dont follow pros. Only started serious SSBM a few months ago.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Are these courses transferable to UCI? And if so, are any of the courses offered helpful to satisfy the Multi-cultural studies breadth requirements?
LOL.

These credits are non-transferrable, unfortunately.
Actually believe it or not many local city community colleges take Interweb credits and you can also substitue them for a GED or equivalent at McDonalds

Vro

Smash Lord
Sorry I couldn't reply earlier, I've been busy.

I completed the assignment. I can do all the crouch cancel smashes, tilts, and jabs. The hardest one by far is the uptilt.

[x] I did the assignment
[x] I did the advanced assignment
[ ] I did the assignment but could still use work on my Dash-Cancels.
[ ] Skipped this one (add a reason if you like)

Homework
1. Waveland is air dodging right before landing on the ground. So when landing from a jump, you slide. Very useful around platforms.
2. Falcos short hop while lasering to cancel the lag from the laser. You can also move while doing this.
3. You asked us to use the C-Stick to prevent us from using run smashes. You can run smash up and down smash, down just being a crouch cancel. You cannot run smash forward smash. You cannot run smash with the C-Stick as well.
4. Falco's quickest smash attack is down smash, then up smash. Tho, up smash has limited uses.
5. Ken consistently crouch cancels his dash into a forward smash.

krndandaman

Smash Cadet
- Name: Dan
-Handle: Dsyxelic
- NorthEast USA, New York
- I can WaveDash, waveland, l-cancel, shorthop, shieldgrab, tech, walltech, A LITTLE BIT OF SHL (just started falco, but mained fox), dashdance, and I can DI pretty well .
I have no tournament experience unfortunately since I am underage... (14) so I can't drive myself to tournies... my parents wouldn't let me anyways since they absolutely hate games and treat me like a child. I play my friends time to time and I usually 2-stock them in a 4-stock match so thats the level they're at. I play my sister at home and she is an okay player who maximized her potential without the use of advanced techniques. So basically, she's the best she can be without advanced techniques... but I still got an advantage so I usually 2-stock her as well. I'd like to use falco better since I'm starting to main him and I just want to learn more! This sounds fun. :p
Question: Do we have to take videos of ourselves for homework or whatever? I can't.

1. What is a waveland? It's almost like a wavedash just that you do the airdodge from the air and not the ground. Do an airdodge diagonally very close to the ground while in the air landing to make a "sliding" effect.
2.Why do Falco players jump when they shoot lasers? I think that Falco players jump when they shoot lasers to minimize the lag from firing the laser and when landing, they can execute a quick attack. Also, when you jump, you can jump forward a little to advance on them while on the otherhand you cannot advance when lasering on the ground.
3. Why do you think I asked you to use the C-stick during the assignment? I think you asked us this because a dashcancel should be used with smashes and by using only the C-stick, it focuses our training on the dashcancel. (Sorry if it sounds confusing)
4. Which of Falco's smashes will hit a player the fastest? DownSmash?
5. Name a professional or retired professional player who is good at dash-cancelling.
Umm... BombSoldier? DaShizWiz? PCChris? Forward? One of them is probably good at dash-cancelling.

Please accept me into the school ^^

//EDIT:

[x] I did the assignment
[x] I did the advanced assignment
[x] I did the assignment but could still use work on my Dash-Cancels.
Still made some mistakes on the advanced one but I managed to do it once at least.

And I have an idea! How bout another forum is made just for the school (on a separate site of course) doesnt have to be fancy or anything just so students can discuss things and its easier to spread out news instead of going through tons of pages of this thread. A chatroom lesson would be cool too with a few available lessons in a chatroom every month.

finalcloud13

Smash Apprentice
Student Application
- Name: Cloud
- region: Los Angeles, CA
- I play the game because it's fun. It's been almost a month since I started playing. I can Dashdance for like 2-3 seconds, I can Wavedash like 30% of the time, almost never one after another, and I can SHL stationary and moving forward, though I don't have much control over the height of the shot.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Lambchops

Next time just say "Look at this amazing learning resource"

kids look at the resource

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
I shall teach these kids calculus.
lol.

Go ahead and put me in there. I had been maining Falco and switched to Marth just recently but...with this resource perhaps my falco will improve.

Name: Knight-errant

I can SHL relatively well, dashdance (though sometimes I glitch it), wavedash 80% of the time(although I really need to work on implementing it), I can waveshine inconsistently...hmm, basically, I know most if not all of the advanced techniques, I just have room for improvement and implementation with all of them.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
This all sounds so complicated >_>

Can't I just sleep with the professor?

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
Assignment 1

[x] Did the beginner assignment
[x] Did the advanced assignment

1. What is a waveland?
When landing from the air you air dodge tword the ground to skid, usually used for spacing

2. Why do Falco players jump when they shoot lasers?
It gets rid of ending lag from the laser and you can move while firing

3. Why do you think I asked you to use the C-stick during the assignment?
Because it is faster and less likely to make a mistake.

4. Which of Falco's smashes will hit a player the fastest?
The beggining part of the fsmash and the dsmash are the fastest to hit with.

5. Name a professional or retired professional player who is good at dash-cancelling.
um... all of them? i mean... Bombsoldier

technomancer

Smash Champion
Cactuarz, is that assignment 1 or 2? I forgot to change the # on the turn-in form and you use a weird one but posted the homework for #1.

psychotic13

Smash Rookie
Assignment 2 Turn-in format
[539%] I did the beginner assignment, and did well
[] I did the intermediate assignment
[] I did the advanced assignment, pwned it, and I really don't need this school anyway
[] I had some trouble with the beginner assignment
[ x] I had some trouble with the intermediate assignment
[] I couldn't complete the advanced assignment within 3 minutes.
[] Skipped this one (add a reason if you like)

My setup was: 3 minute timer, because I dont know how to make popcorn, and have none regardless.
Bowser lvl 1 with 9 handi, me 1 handi. I cant use c-stick in training, so I did vs obviously. By cant, I mean it wont let me, cstick is camera instead of attacks. Regardless, I died 6 times during the 3 minutes, but I did get bowser up to 539% by the end. I wasn't doing it right though. I would always hit attack and then fast-fall, not at the same time, so when I tried to l-cancel it wouldnt work. I was also not fast enough, I always waited for bowser to get up before doing it again. Half the time I would do a fair instead of a dair for some reason, and another half the time I wouldnt short-hop, it would do a full jump. I kinda suck at SSBM, but I'll try to stick with this. I might try the assignment again, but I would like clarification on how to do the move. Its difficult for me, as I never use the c-stick, so Im slower at reaching the c-stick and then reaching back to R.

I also cant wavedash out. I hit R after shine while tilting, and I even short-hopped, shined, and tried it but it didnt work. I cant wavedash fast enough after shine on ground.I cant wavedash half the time, period. Cant do it one after the other either. It has to be by itself, with no move before or after, for me to do it right otherwise I screw up, and just do a full jump and halfway thru the jump I will airdodge, and get owned. Plus my fingers are always cold and sore because this house is 10 degrees Celsius all the time.

Video 1:
Q:What did you see out of forward that you don't usually see in Falco vidoes?
A:He followed his SHL to do a combo a lot more often than most Falco players. Combo as in a shine or a shuffle to shine.

Q:Why is it important to be original and inventive at high levels of play?
A:Because if you use the same strategy or tactics, or same set of moves against your opponent when HE/SHE does a certain move, your opponent will learn what you do in certain situations and learn to counter that move.

Q:What role did the stage play in this match?
A:The platforms played a huge role because it allowed Forward to SHL and then quickly jump to the second platform to continue when Darkrain dodges the SHL. It also allows more manueverability for both players, and you can also attack through the platforms, allowing for some decent fakeout tactics.

Q:When Darkrain teched on a platform, how did Forward usually follow it?
A:He would either jump and airdodge down as a fakeout, or try to D-Air or Shine him as Darkrain got up.

Video 2:
Q:What was Mach Dash's most common response to Hiko's laser spam?
A:Shielding.

Q:Hiko played well, but made a few mistakes. Try to pick out a few.
A:Sometimes when he lasers he will Reverse laser away from falcon,
giving him an opportunity to attack, at certain times he will use the wrong move for recover (shine instead of upB, or smashB instead of upB etc)

Q:Mach Dash's offense generally started with what attack?
A:Generally he used the knee or the double kick aerial (not sure which aerials those are).

Q:...and how did Mach Dash usually land that attack?
A:Tech chasing or when Hiko was rolling or SHLing.

wazgood

Smash Ace
heres the homework i havent done the pillar combos yet maybe tomorrow

Questions: Match 1 - Offensive
What did you see out of forward that you don't usually see in Falco vidoes?lots of WD and wavelanding on platforms, lots of platform dropping
Why is it important to be original and inventive at high levels of play? MINDGAMES'D
What role did the stage play in this match? kill zones close to stage
When Darkrain teched on a platform, how did Forward usually follow it? waited then techchase w/ dair or shine

Question: Match 2 - Defensive
What was Mach Dash's most common response to Hiko's laser spam? taunt lol j/k he shielded them
Hiko played well, but made a few mistakes. Try to pick out a few (2-3) lazors fired wrong direction, used fair too much imo, couldve punished taunts moar, phailure to edgeguard CF who has teh worst recovery evar
Mach Dash's offense generally started with what attack? taunt knee nair mostly nairs tho
...and how did Mach Dash usually land that attack? techchase or jumping over lazors

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
I fixed my post for homework one. (My name is EriQ on the grading list, but you have EriqQ and cactuarz up =p)

Just finished Assignment 2, now gotta do homework (kinda hard for me since my primary internet source (school) has youtube blocked, but i should get it by Monday or Tuesday =)

[ % ] I did the beginner assignment, and did well
[ % ] I did the intermediate assignment
[ x ] I did the advanced assignment (on my 5'th attempt =p
[ ] I had some trouble with the beginner assignment
[ ] I had some trouble with the intermediate assignment
[ ] I couldn't complete the advanced assignment within 3 minutes.

Top Bottom