• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Ice Climber Communitiy

What is Nana and Popo’s relationship?

• Close friends

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • Siblings

Votes: 66 45.5%
  • Lovers

Votes: 43 29.7%

• Total voters

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Thanks a lot. I made my theme with a "veterans first" approach with the newcomers coming from personal wants, Sakurai's wants, and ones based on current trends.
I just put a bunch of characters I like together lol

PF9

Smash Lord
If the Ice Climbers come back, we should get a new home stage for them.

Ice level themes from other Nintendo games can play on both the new Ice Climber stage and respective series-appropriate stages. Some songs I had in mind were:

Cool, Cool Mountain (Super Mario 64)
Snow Level (New Super Mario Bros. Wii)
Ice Path (Pokemon Gold and Silver)
Route 216 (Pokemon Diamond and Pearl)
Snowpoint City (Pokemon Diamond and Pearl)
Rainbow Resort (Kirby's Adventure)
Frozen Hillside (Kirby Air Ride)
Peppermint Palace (Kirby and the Amazing Mirror)
White Wafers (Kirby's Return to Dreamland)
Echo's Edge (Kirby Star Allies)
Ice Island (Kirby Squeak Squad)
White Land (F-Zero X)

As many of the listed themes are from the Kirby series, they can also be put an a possible Echo's Edge stage

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
If the Ice Climbers come back, we should get a new home stage for them.

Ice level themes from other Nintendo games can play on both the new Ice Climber stage and respective series-appropriate stages. Some songs I had in mind were:

Cool, Cool Mountain (Super Mario 64)
Snow Level (New Super Mario Bros. Wii)
Ice Path (Pokemon Gold and Silver)
Route 216 (Pokemon Diamond and Pearl)
Snowpoint City (Pokemon Diamond and Pearl)
Rainbow Resort (Kirby's Adventure)
Frozen Hillside (Kirby Air Ride)
Peppermint Palace (Kirby and the Amazing Mirror)
White Wafers (Kirby's Return to Dreamland)
Echo's Edge (Kirby Star Allies)
Ice Island (Kirby Squeak Squad)
White Land (F-Zero X)

As many of the listed themes are from the Kirby series, they can also be put an a possible Echo's Edge stage
One extra detail is that it should come in relation to a brand new Ice Climber installment.

PF9

Smash Lord
Another song I had in mind for the new Ice Climber stage was the snow course theme from Mario Kart 64

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
This rumor doesn't phase me. Any fool could predict Ice Climbers returning, but the moment Ridley is mentioned lowers the rumor's credibility drastically. Sakurai is involved in the game so automatically Ridley is out of the question unless he's put into a dedicated giant character mode. As for Simon Belmont, maybe. But Snake needs to return before we talk about other characters owned by "that company."

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
This rumor doesn't phase me. Any fool could predict Ice Climbers returning, but the moment Ridley is mentioned lowers the rumor's credibility drastically. Sakurai is involved in the game so automatically Ridley is out of the question unless he's put into a dedicated giant character mode. As for Simon Belmont, maybe. But Snake needs to return before we talk about other characters owned by "that company."
I don't agree. He's stood firm on Ridley for awhile, but he's changed his mind in the past on characters. I'll never rule Ridley out entirely.

Belmont is what gets me about this rumor. I know he's gonna be seen as the "icon" everyone totally always knew was coming if he ends up making it, but right now I'm pretty unsure about him. You mentioned Snake, but theres also Bomberman standing in his way, as far Konami characters go.

PF9

Smash Lord
I had an idea. The upcoming Pokemon Switch game should have DLC where you battle Pokemon trainers in the form of characters from other Nintendo games.

The Ice Climbers can have a Pokemon team consisting mostly of Ice-types plus two non-Ice-types still based on animals found in polar regions

Here's a good team for them (Ice Climbers would be their Trainer class, Popo and Nana would be their names as in their original game):
Abomasnow - represents the Topis found in the Western versions of Ice Climber
Seel - represents the Topis found in the Japanese version of Ice Climber
Beartic - represents the Polar Bear enemy in Ice Climber
Empoleon - based on emperor penguins
Walrein - based on walruses
Alolan Ninetales - based on Arctic foxes

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I had an idea. The upcoming Pokemon Switch game should have DLC where you battle Pokemon trainers in the form of characters from other Nintendo games.

The Ice Climbers can have a Pokemon team consisting mostly of Ice-types plus two non-Ice-types still based on animals found in polar regions

Here's a good team for them (Ice Climbers would be their Trainer class, Popo and Nana would be their names as in their original game):
Abomasnow - represents the Topis found in the Western versions of Ice Climber
Seel - represents the Topis found in the Japanese version of Ice Climber
Beartic - represents the Polar Bear enemy in Ice Climber
Empoleon - based on emperor penguins
Walrein - based on walruses
Alolan Ninetales - based on Arctic foxes
Are you saying you want other Nintendo characters as Pokemon Trainers?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I don't agree. He's stood firm on Ridley for awhile, but he's changed his mind in the past on characters. I'll never rule Ridley out entirely.

Belmont is what gets me about this rumor. I know he's gonna be seen as the "icon" everyone totally always knew was coming if he ends up making it, but right now I'm pretty unsure about him. You mentioned Snake, but theres also Bomberman standing in his way, as far Konami characters go.
Bomberman would be a far better fit for Smash than Snake ever was. Ridley definitely still invalidates any rumour he's in, though. He's not like other Nintendo giants, he's too gangly. He'd be ridiculously fragile if scaled down.

PF9

Smash Lord
Pit appeared in Brawl and 4 years later a new Kid Icarus game came out.

This gets me to thinking. The Ice Climbers received a lot of similar exposure by appearing in 2 (looking like it's going to be 3 soon) SSB games.

The Ice Climber series should get a 3D platformer adventure similar to a number of recent Mario games (notably Odyssey). The game would have a 1-player mode where you play as Popo and a cooperative 2-player mode also including Nana. This could be the revival the series needs.

The Climbers can utilize abilities from the Smash games.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So, how's everyone feeling about the chance that we may see our favorite pair of eskimos in Smash again tomorrow?

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
The paranoid side of me feels like they could just be revealed at a later date not being tied to a special event or Direct. Just popping up on the website and being there like how Dr. Mario was unceremoniously confirmed in Smash Wii U and 3DS. I only fear that could happen because they're veterans and unlikely to be pushed back for DLC. But I know that won't be the case because Ice Climbers are so important to the series.

Ultimately, I'll be going into this thing with no expectations and remain neutral so I'm not disappointed.

PF9

Smash Lord
I want to reiterate my desire to have Trans-Siberian Orchestra remix the Ice Climber medley for this game. Their Christmas albums have been among the most popular of the last 25 years especially since they are of the hard rock genre (unusual for holiday music).

Staarih

Smash Master
Super happy to see the IC's again! Their Final Smash is almost the same but rotates around and has the Polar Bear tripping at the side of the mountain, love it!

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Glad to see ICs back, but the new mechanic where Nana panics if Popo is grabbed etc has put me right off using them again.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Super happy to see the IC's again! Their Final Smash is almost the same but rotates around and has the Polar Bear tripping at the side of the mountain, love it!
A condor also comes in and grabs Popo when it's activated.

Glad to see ICs back, but the new mechanic where Nana panics if Popo is grabbed etc has put me right off using them again.
And she taunts when Popo grabs someone too, which I find pretty funny.

D

Deleted member

It's good to see the Ice Climbers are back again, though I kinda figured they were coming back anyway.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Nana does not taunt when you grab someone. I know it's potato quality but look here

https://youtu.be/5rWB_nCP6BE
The only grab I can see in that video that's clear enough to see what's happening is at 0:25. Pausing it and advancing it frame by frame by pressing the . key, Nana just stands there while Popo pummels until Popo begins the throw, after which she hops backward a short distance so that she's no longer clipping into Popo (she doesn't turn around and walk for a step, she actually has an animation for hopping backwards,) jumps in the air just once, then, after Popo's throw ends, she hops forward so that they are clipping into each other again.

Note that her jump is different from their "jumping up and down" taunt in Brawl as she jumps just once and does not put her hammer on the ground first.

So, yeah, that's a pretty amusing way to fix the chaingrabbing.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
The one im talking about is at 15 seconds. Nana is just standing there. They start the match off with a grab.
screeny.png

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It's been so long. ROBnWatch ROBnWatch TheBeardedPunisher TheBeardedPunisher Love you guys, it finally happened!

Some questions: Do they not desync at all anymore? I haven't seen them do anything outside of the trailer, and it looks like you lose the ability to control Nana when Popo is inactive.

How's the dair?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Nintendude confirmed a pivot smash desynch on twitter. So it's there in some form.
That's good. Watched some videos, some stuff I saw:

-Dair is still stall-then-fall. I hate this very much
-Upair is changed from the hammer poke, to an overhead swing

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Good video shared there, wonder if throw actually leads to something or you have to frametrap with like nair (airdodge away is prob easy escape). Ive been a bit afraid we lose a ton of the essence of the character, but felt that in brawl then 2 weeks in to the meta, a video dthrowing across the stage to fairspike changed everything!

Not sure, sopo side b might have less landlag based on a vid I watched, but might have been some form of autocancel since it was made semi high up.

Last edited:

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
Did they actually get rid of Chaingrabs by making Nana taunt while Popo throws? xD That's hilarious!

As far as I can tell Nana does absolutely nothing while Popo is grabbing is that correct? How does she behave during a grab-release? Is it possible to follow that up in any way?

Either way, I'm sure with ICs being as they are, something weird will be found again after release whatever that may be.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I was definitely expecting the grab to be one climber attacking as part of the change to minimize exploits. But I'm sure this doesn't get rid of the possibility for unique duo powered tech via other methods. I'd like to see their playstyle be experimented with more in the meta beyond just their grab alone.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know if Nana can still attack if Popo is being grabbed? Or is she just panicking?
Because if Nana can't break the grab, the ICs are VERY EASILY seperated by just grabbing Popo and throwing him away, which means Nana is probably a lot easier to kill. This would certainly impact the viability of the ICs in a negative way.

But yeah, I do agree that there will be probably be completely new unique duo powered tech eventually!

Smasher89

Smash Lord
As far as I can tell Nana does absolutely nothing while Popo is grabbing is that correct? How does she behave during a grab-release? Is it possible to follow that up in any way?
Heard Nana does not have grab period, so our biggest hope is hobbling(footstool to iceblock reset), but even then, grab teching is apparently a thing. Acording to nintendude i think he said there is seemingly no Nana control during that (I think ive seen a clip where mashing pummel didnt make nana jab either). Really hope they arent hit by the biggest nerfs in smash history, but it does look likely atm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom