• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
My name is the same on smash boards I just don't say much cuz I don't got much to say but I'm there more like a lurker I'm always watching
Honestly way better then taking part in conversation with 'surface level' thinkers.

Luminary over Erdrick does not line up with what we’ve heard from Tansut. He said the character would have a male and female alt, which unless I’m mistaken as I have played DQ11 yet, Luminary doesn’t have. This is based of that Banjo Amiibo leaker, which I don’t think has something to prove that he’s legit while Tansut has.
Something I was wondering about lately. What if we are still getting Erdrick, but Luminary is the codename. They are both titles after all and the DQ11 Luminary isn't the only Luminary (after all Erdricks descendants in DQ2 are also Luminaries). Food for thought.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 226462
Found this in Sabis Discord Big If True

I'm in Polar's discord right now and I'm looking into this user as we speak. I'm not finding anything other than him trying to be some voice of reason toward people speculating. Also found this about Banjo.

Gonna double post so I can give an update:

Apparently, that guy who seemingly "leaked" the Smash Bros content in Polar's discord was just speculating NoOtherPersona NoOtherPersona . So can't really take this as a confirmation of anything.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
That second picture is beautiful. Like real Smash Brothers, we should be hyped and supportive for any and everyone.

EDIT: Don't mind the signature, just thought it was funny is all.
Wish everyone thought the same. Getting real tired of this "war" bs

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I’m confident in Vergeben, but I’m still pretty nervous. Just a bit though, I trust in the juggernaut that is Dragon Quest in game history.

Next week’s going to be a roller coaster.
At least I’m happy Switch is finally getting DQXIs this year.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I will be happy if he’s in

The only worry I have is that imran a very reliable source is pretty sure Erdrick was bait and banjo isn’t

However papagenos has a excellent theory about mini costumes

Joker set had knuckles and tails alts which were cut costumes

The theory is cut costumes from smash 4 dlc will be in character packs that match from the company

Last edited:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
I’m confident in Vergeben, but I’m still pretty nervous. Just a bit though, I trust in the juggernaut that is Dragon Quest in game history.

Next week’s going to be a roller coaster.
At least I’m happy Switch is finally getting DQXIs this year.
It's fine to be nervous, I was during Grinch Leak era due to my Isaac bias
granted, in that situation, I was let down despite the warnings....

For this situation Im trying to go in with a better judgement

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It's fine to be nervous, I was during Grinch Leak era due to my Isaac bias
granted, in that situation, I was let down despite the warnings....

For this situation Im trying to go in with a better judgement
Yes! I was really pumped for Isaac. And he was my.. at the time.. 4th most wanted character. Erdrick/DQrep/Crono would be my realistically most wanted. So I don’t want to feel that burn again.

But I like to think that since Verge was right about Incineroar, something so ... out there for me atm. He’ll be right about Erdrick.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I quit Dragon Quest V.

The combination of Dragon Temple being absurd spike in difficulty, accompanying the need for grinding to get armor/weapon upgrades and levelling up my son and daughter at the same time, I am not having fun with this game anymore.

I got a question about DQ11. How grindy does the game get, are there locations in the game where pacing stops at a halt requiring the need to grind? And how is the storytelling. The more DQ games I play, the more I feel the games are not for me.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
I quit Dragon Quest V.

The combination of Dragon Temple being absurd spike in difficulty, accompanying the need for grinding to get armor/weapon upgrades and levelling up my son and daughter at the same time, I am not having fun with this game anymore.

I got a question about DQ11. How grindy does the game get, are there locations in the game where pacing stops at a halt requiring the need to grind? And how is the storytelling. The more DQ games I play, the more I feel the games are not for me.
Just kill a few metal slimes

if you can that is

Oh and as for the second question, I didn't find myself having to kill some Metal Slimes in DQXI until:
SPOILERS AHEAD
Nearing the end/post game, and I got to level 99 before fighting the true final boss....before I realized that Erik can just one shot him.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Leaks are just kind of a supplement to me. If it didn't look like DQ had a real shot anyway with Nintendo publishing two major releases within six months and SE being... well, marginally less bad than usual about getting the series out there over the past little while, I don't think I'd even be at the stage where I'd give leaks any credit. DQ in Smash looks like something that would actually make sense to do right now, that's the main thing.

If you hated V enough to give up on it, you probably shouldn't bother with XI.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
XIs boss fights ranged from:
"Wow, this was pretty easy. "
to
"Who thought this fight was fun?"

So as soon as you turn on harder monsters to supplement the first issue, the second issues bites you harder :^)

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

I'm in Polar's discord right now and I'm looking into this user as we speak. I'm not finding anything other than him trying to be some voice of reason toward people speculating. Also found this about Banjo.

Gonna double post so I can give an update:

Apparently, that guy who seemingly "leaked" the Smash Bros content in Polar's discord was just speculating NoOtherPersona NoOtherPersona . So can't really take this as a confirmation of anything.
I just thought it was interesting to share is all regardless it's good for the DQ and Banjo camp and I think we should be friends like how issac and Lloyd camp became friends which hopefully they still are

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Just kill a few metal slimes

if you can that is

Oh and as for the second question, I didn't find myself having to kill some Metal Slimes in DQXI until:
SPOILERS AHEAD
Nearing the end/post game, and I got to level 99 before fighting the true final boss....before I realized that Erik can just one shot him.
How smart is the Metal Slime ai? In my DQV play-through, I noticed that metal slimess flee faster than DQ8. Without the enemy showing up on the map, grinding for Metal Slimes in DQV felt like something totally not worth pursuing.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I just thought it was interesting to share is all regardless it's good for the DQ and Banjo camp and I think we should be friends like how issac and Lloyd camp became friends which hopefully they still are
Sadly that looks pretty unlikely. I mean, sure, it’s only 2 of them that are extremely obnoxious, but it’s enough for it to rub off on the others.

Maybe they associate us with Steve, hence why the hate coming from them?

I wouldn’t oppose the idea though. I’d be on friendly terms with every other character support members out there if I could.

It still feels like Erdrick is public enemy #1 even here in Smashboards. :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah that's fine. I just want both Erdrick and Banjo revealed at E3 and will lose it if any reliable leaker says so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
@MrBaconJam and @Adol Christin you both have been fans of dragon quest i think, do you want to be added to the supporters list?
I think I'm already on the DQ support list, but if not can I be put on there?

Leaks are just kind of a supplement to me. If it didn't look like DQ had a real shot anyway with Nintendo publishing two major releases within six months and SE being... well, marginally less bad than usual about getting the series out there over the past little while, I don't think I'd even be at the stage where I'd give leaks any credit. DQ in Smash looks like something that would actually make sense to do right now, that's the main thing.

Two major releases? I know DQ XIs is one of them, but what's the other?

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Sadly that looks pretty unlikely. I mean, sure, it’s only 2 of them that are extremely obnoxious, but it’s enough for it to rub off on the others.

Maybe they associate us with Steve, hence why the hate coming from them?

I wouldn’t oppose the idea though. I’d be on friendly terms with every other character support members out there if I could.

It still feels like Erdrick is public enemy #1 even here in Smashboards. :(
Well yeah I expected that it was easier for Lloyd and Isaac bros to become friends since there Jrpg boys so I can see us becoming friends with those two heck some people from the Isaac thread that I recognize came/ already support erdrick

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I quit Dragon Quest V.

I don't personally find it grindy at all (granted I fight every enemy I see anyways). I think the only time I ever truly grinded was for the final boss, because it was hard as ****. The storytelling is great everything is consistent and so was the pacing.

I think I'm already on the DQ support list, but if not can I be put on there?

Two major releases? I know DQ XIs is one of them, but what's the other?
Dragon Quest Builders 2

EDIT: Woops accidentally double posted lol Please delete haha

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I had absolutely no problems with the pacing of the story.

DQV was one of the most immersive stories of any gMe that I’ve played. Heck, the reason it was hard for me to keep playing it was that my body wasn’t ready for what the main character goes through. Dang... This is what Mother fans must have felt with Mother 3. Personally, I didn’t feel it there, but I did here.

Which reminds me how excited I am for the movie.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
DQV's story will always be one of my favorites.

That said, DQ7 as a huge collection of short stories is warming up to me the more I play it. Maybe it'll crack my top 3 by the time I'm done with it.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

This was on the recent Erdrick tweet on official merch for DQ. Just want to say, if this is Erdrick. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

D

Deleted member

This was on the recent Erdrick tweet on official merch for DQ. Just want to say, if this is Erdrick. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
I like this design a lot. Granted, I have to see in 3D before I could really appreciate it.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

That looks really good, but if it's official shouldn't it be Toriyama's art?

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

it's over lol i'd drop pac man just to main him thats how cool he looks

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Well for me with Dragon Quest V, I crave more character relationship building and development, just as someone that has gotten a stronger understanding of strong character arcs through watching and reading hundreds of anime and dozens of manga over the last few years. I have grown to a point where I started to connect my character arc thoughts to RPGs. Now I am starting to prefer RPGs that have solid story, character, AND leveling progression with continuous engagement like MOTHER 3, Persona 4/5, and Chrono Trigger. For me to like an RPG now, the planets would have to align as closely as possible. I get the strong feeling that if I looked into DQ1-9, I would not be able to enjoy them because I get the gut feeling I will likely face issues with some parts of their game design and story structure. I feel firm about that.

Which is why I opening up to playing DQ11, because I heard that game's character relationship building is a strong part. I also heard there will be more character building moments with DQ11S. I really hope DQ11 is the one I like once the Switch release comes later this year.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Well for me with Dragon Quest V, I crave more character relationship building and development, just as someone that has gotten a stronger understanding of strong character arcs through watching and reading hundreds of anime and dozens of manga over the last few years. I have grown to a point where I started to connect my character arc thoughts to RPGs. Now I am starting to prefer RPGs that have solid story, character, AND leveling progression with continuous engagement like MOTHER 3, Persona 4/5, and Chrono Trigger. For me to like an RPG now, the planets would have to align as closely as possible. I get the strong feeling that if I looked into DQ1-9, I would not be able to enjoy them because I get the gut feeling I will likely face issues with some parts of their game design and story structure.

Which is why I opening up to playing DQ11, because I heard that game's character relationship building is a strong part. I also heard there will be more character building moments with DQ11S.
well if you do buy 11 i hope you enjoy it

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well for me with Dragon Quest V, I crave more character relationship building and development, just as someone that has gotten a stronger understanding of strong character arcs through watching and reading hundreds of anime and dozens of manga over the last few years. I have grown to a point where I started to connect my character arc thoughts to RPGs. Now I am starting to prefer RPGs that have solid story, character, AND leveling progression with continuous engagement like MOTHER 3, Persona 4/5, and Chrono Trigger. For me to like an RPG now, the planets would have to align as closely as possible. I get the strong feeling that if I looked into DQ1-9, I would not be able to enjoy them because I get the gut feeling I will likely face issues with some parts of their game design and story structure. I feel firm about that.

Which is why I opening up to playing DQ11, because I heard that game's character relationship building is a strong part. I also heard there will be more character building moments with DQ11S. I really hope DQ11 is the one I like once the Switch release comes later this year.
I've watched too much anime already, I loook for games that do something differently. You might like Dragon Quest 11 more than the other ones since they put more attention on the story telling, from what ive seen. But maybe also it isn't what you look for in a game at this time. Dragon Quest has what it does to offer, and it's pretty great, but a deeply involving story that's shoved in your face a lot isn't that. At least not up to DQ10. Final Fantasy would probably more up your alley, although there isn't much choice, unlike persona if you play that then you can build the relationships you want. There's lots of different games around that offer all their own things.

I will say though that no game has really pushed what's possible with relationships in rpgs. I guess Rune factory has some stuff, but the story isn't deep and involving, so it's hard to think of something that has both. Anyway, the more you know what you're looking for, the easier it'll be to know what you want to be in for in the games you want to play. At the same time when you get what youre looking for you can also spread into other areas. And like, I wouldn't use dragon quest for my source of deep involving stories, that'd be anime or movies. Or I could play Final Fantasy to get a mix of both.

I might be interested in an mmo at some point, dragon quest or final fantasy. I do like that kind of gameplay too, and usually it's easier to choose how much lore you want to see or not. Anyway that's just something i could look for in a game. (for one side of fun, anyway)

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I've watched too much anime already, I loook for games that do something differently. You might like Dragon Quest 11 more than the other ones since they put more attention on the story telling, from what ive seen. But maybe also it isn't what you look for in a game at this time. Dragon Quest has what it does to offer, and it's pretty great, but a deeply involving story that's shoved in your face a lot isn't that. At least not up to DQ10. Final Fantasy would probably more up your alley, although there isn't much choice, unlike persona if you play that then you can build the relationships you want. There's lots of different games around that offer all their own things.

I will say though that no game has really pushed what's possible with relationships in rpgs. I guess Rune factory has some stuff, but the story isn't deep and involving, so it's hard to think of something that has both. Anyway, the more you know what you're looking for, the easier it'll be to know what you want to be in for in the games you want to play. At the same time when you get what youre looking for you can also spread into other areas. And like, I wouldn't use dragon quest for my source of deep involving stories, that'd be anime or movies. Or I could play Final Fantasy to get a mix of both.

I might be interested in an mmo at some point, dragon quest or final fantasy. I do like that kind of gameplay too, and usually it's easier to choose how much lore you want to see or not. Anyway that's just something i could look for in a game. (for one side of fun, anyway)
honestly, i find the contrast between final fantasy and dragon quest quite funny final fantasy does a better job with characters but i think final fantasy at least recently lost alot of the charm that dragon quest still has to this very day which is kinda of sad because final fantasy was the king of jrpg out here at least and then 15 happened while DQ11 celebrates the roots of where it came from 15 turns away and tries to be something else

Teeb147

Smash Legend
honestly, i find the contrast between final fantasy and dragon quest quite funny final fantasy does a better job with characters but i think final fantasy at least recently lost alot of the charm that dragon quest still has to this very day which is kinda of sad because final fantasy was the king of jrpg out here at least and then 15 happened while DQ11 celebrates the roots of where it came from 15 turns away and tries to be something else
Even though I'm not a fan of FF15, I respect and like that they're deviating and also trying to do something cool. I'm not saying they coudn't have split into two directions (like an extra final fantasy series), but it's an interesting direction, though they still have a whole lot of room for improvenent anyway XD Hopefully the next ones are just really good overall, and complete on release lol.
But yeah Dragon Quest is special and it's nice that they stuck to their roots.

Yes sure, please do.
Added you ;)

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Even though I'm not a fan of FF15, I respect and like that they're deviating and also trying to do something cool. I'm not saying they coudn't have split into two directions (like an extra final fantasy series), but it's an interesting direction, though they still have a whole lot of room for improvenent anyway XD Hopefully the next ones are just really good overall, and complete on release lol.
But yeah Dragon Quest is special and it's nice that they stuck to their roots.

Added you ;)
Final Fantasy needs a figurehead like they had with Sakaguchi that's where i think the lack of heart comes from

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
I see FFXV talk-
Time to meme...

Dragon Quest XV: Pilgrimage of Passage
Almost a carbon copy of XV, minus the car...
Spoiled prince/princess is kicked out of kingdom, cept their without friends/bodyguards.
Left to his/her own devices they must establish a trust in future comrades to prove themselves worthy to once again take the throne
A Pilgrimage to prove yourself
#Roadtrip

Unlike Noctis, you start from nothing. Not to the equivalent of Madason though
.....now I want this to be game

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I see FFXV talk-
Time to meme...

Dragon Quest XV: Pilgrimage of Passage
Almost a carbon copy of XV, minus the car...
Spoiled prince/princess is kicked out of kingdom, cept their without friends/bodyguards.
Left to his/her own devices they must establish a trust in future comrades to prove themselves worthy to once again take the throne
A Pilgrimage to prove yourself
#Roadtrip

Unlike Noctis, you start from nothing. Not to the equivalent of Madason though
.....now I want this to be game
sounds interesting you better head out to japan and pitch this to Hori san

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom