• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The only Pokémon rep I would really like to see in Smash right now is Gengar, since I have a friend who is a hardcore Pokémon fan and loves that Mon the most.

And Darkrai is already a Pokéball assist sadly.

D

Deleted member

The one thing I will say is that they were saying Steve in Smash this whole year thus far and only changed their position the day before Shinobi made his Banjo post. They claimed that Steve was leak bait and they think it would be Banjo instead. It's coincidental, and one of the reasons I've been trying to figure out their level of credibility.
Rookie mistake perhaps? But yeah, sounds suspicious. There was evidence for why you should expect Banjo before Shinobi's post (which was the Cable Guy figures).

I took a screenshot of his predictions on Erdrick and something after the tournaments in case he deletes it later. We'll see what happens because his guesses could just be piggybacking known info.

Screenshot_2019-06-08-07-45-39.png

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Rookie mistake perhaps? But yeah, sounds suspicious. There was evidence for why you should expect Banjo before Shinobi's post (which was the Cable Guy figures).

I took a screenshot of his predictions on Erdrick and something after the tournaments in case he deletes it later. We'll see what happens because his guesses could just be piggybacking known info.

View attachment 226595
All I know is imma have to hit him with a zoom to the forehead if he's just sputtering out nonsense

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Aaaaaand I'm done!
Took a while but it's here.

View attachment 225788

(Figured since it's been a while since I last drew by hand, I wasn't going to enjoy doing it, since well... I suck at it again, but I do like fiddling around with pixels, so here it is).

Hope you all like it!
HOLY MOLY i saw this some place else
i'm very impressed you manage to do things well for the spell menu and whistle as Erdrick's specials, really.
-the spell menu working similar to Shulk's Monado Arts wheel
-whistle being a balanced summoning function
-Erdrick re and un equipping his weapons for some attacks and the use of notable Sword skills
i do think Miracle Sword could be something else since the attack looks more "rewarding" than WFT's Deep Breath and Sun Salutation and Robin's Nosferatu
plus his aerial could be just Kaswoosh or Zoom than using Chimera Wing (unless you want it to be MP-free, i getcha!)
Whistle can also be SilverHarp (or Lyre of Ire) too since both have the same function (attracts monsters)

overall this is amazing! more better than whatever i could come up.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I can't even find the DS remakes to buy in my country, its sad :(
i have the uk versions of 4/5 and the American version of 6 there very hard too find but in case but if you lived out in cali you'd be able to find them easy i see them quite a bit at gamestops

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I have my copies of 5, 6 and 9 for DS, and 7 for 3DS.

I didn't get 1-4 or 8 when they were rereleased cause I still have the NES versions and the PS2 version lying around. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The one thing I will say is that they were saying Steve in Smash this whole year thus far and only changed their position the day before Shinobi made his Banjo post. They claimed that Steve was leak bait and they think it would be Banjo instead. It's coincidental, and one of the reasons I've been trying to figure out their level of credibility.
I kind of agree, the perception of BK just turned into one that they seem inevitable but for some reason I just find it weird that Verge hasn't committed to 100% backing them up (99% is close though). Although to be fair, Vergeben never backed Steve but rather MC content. At least it will be interesting to see what happens.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hey! How's everyone doing? Interested to see the tourney? I am. Maybe we should get a schedule up for the times of it.

I'm not sure if I'm already on the supporters list, but if not can I be added please?
Dont worry you've been on the list, you were one of the early 30. I also added Adol Christin Adol Christin and the others

Here's the supporter list. You can search for your name, just do ctrl+F and then type your name (once you have the list open), that's an easy way to find your name.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
What if instead of just Erdrick we got like a Bowser Jr incident with like DQ1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 11 as the 8 alts?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What if instead of just Erdrick we got like a Bowser Jr incident with like DQ1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 11 as the 8 alts?
Ya we've been talking about that and listing which hero we think could possibly make it a few pages back :)

Also, here's the schedule for today:
https://e3.nintendo.com/

Super Mario Maker 2 Invitational 2019
11:00 a.m. PT | 2:00 p.m. ET*

Splatoon 2 World Championship 2019
11:30 a.m. PT | 2:30 p.m. ET*

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate World Championship 2019 3v3
2:00 p.m. PT | 5:00 p.m. ET*

Sakurai tweeted about the tournament and said he'd get up early to watch it, I dont know if there'll be any announcements, but it could be cool.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Ya we've been talking about that and listing which hero we think could make it a few pages back :)

Sakurai tweeted about the tournament and said he'd get up early to watch it, I dont know if there'll be any announcements, but it should be cool.
Oh my bad. Well... I’m sure it would be the ones I picked. Since the hero of 2 can’t use magic, the hero of 7 is a child and dragon quest 10 is an mmo.

zferolie

Smash Hero
No offense to leakers and whatnot, but other then Brave and the leakers, what does Erdrick have proving he is in? I want a DQ rep, and think it is worthy of smash, but I would prefer slime.

I don't understand why Nintendo would name a code what a character is named in Japan. Jack to Joker makes sense, we know him already. Plus those floaty jumps tied to Brave doesn't seem to fit Erdrick. I am thinking the code names just have the first letter tied to the character. Jack-> Joker, Brave-> Banjo.

Again, don't get me wrong, I am not bashing Erdrick, I just don't get how everyone is so sure of him. Banjo has more in game proof then Erdrick does(Rare Spirits found in the code)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oh my bad. Well... I’m sure it would be the ones I picked. Since the hero of 2 can’t use magic, the hero of 7 is a child and dragon quest 10 is an mmo.
We also semi ruled out 5 because he's not like the others and also can't use zap. Anlucia from 10 is a hero and has been a fave in japan, showing up in different games, so she wouldnt be out of the running. Oh and also the 9's heroes is known as short too, so im not sure what the chances there would be.

And since there's gender alts for 3 and 4, that could take up 4 slots there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No offense to leakers and whatnot, but other then Brave and the leakers, what does Erdrick have proving he is in? I want a DQ rep, and think it is worthy of smash, but I would prefer slime.

I don't understand why Nintendo would name a code what a character is named in Japan. Jack to Joker makes sense, we know him already. Plus those floaty jumps tied to Brave doesn't seem to fit Erdrick. I am thinking the code names just have the first letter tied to the character. Jack-> Joker, Brave-> Banjo.

Again, don't get me wrong, I am not bashing Erdrick, I just don't get how everyone is so sure of him. Banjo has more in game proof then Erdrick does(Rare Spirits found in the code)
We see a DQ rep likely due to the strong presence of the series on Switch, Square’s interest to boost the franchise’s popularity in Japan, the current dynamic between Nintendo and Square and the tendency of dual reveals at E3.

Polan

Smash Lord

the rare spirits are valid evidence for banjo but brave isn't valid evidence for erdrick. okay then.

zferolie

Smash Hero
We see a DQ rep likely due to the strong presence of the series on Switch, Square’s interest to boost the franchise’s popularity in Japan, the current dynamic between Nintendo and Square and the tendency of dual reveals at E3.
I mean yeah, I expect a DQ rep as a likely chance, but I think Slime would be a btter pick, as it has more world wide reconition then Erdrick. Its the face of the series, and even non DQ players know Slime

the rare spirits are valid evidence for banjo but brave isn't valid evidence for erdrick. okay then.
I'm not saying its not valid proof, but it seems way too on the nose for a code name. Its Litterally his japanese name, or tied to him

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

We really don't have much of anything else to go on besides Brave and leaks. I think we're just being hopeful for Erdrick.

But the same could apply for Slime. Granted I would much rather have Erdrick and I think Nintendo would rather choose a human character for DLC over a monster character, but that's just me

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean yeah, I expect a DQ rep as a likely chance, but I think Slime would be a btter pick, as it has more world wide reconition then Erdrick. Its the face of the series, and even non DQ players know Slime
It’s fine to prefer Slime as long as there’s respect, tbh.

Our problem mostly comes with the people who bash people for wanting Erdrick, but you thankfully aren’t one of them so far.

zferolie

Smash Hero
It’s fine to prefer Slime as long as there’s respect, tbh.

Our problem mostly comes with the people who bash people for wanting Erdrick, but you thankfully aren’t one of them so far.
Don't worry, I'm not bashing at all. Only character I bash at all is Sans(never got into that game...) and even then its only half serious. People can want who they want. I get a ton of crap wanting Shantae and Reimu...

It just seems so strange how every video and person seems to say Erdrick is 100% happening, when I just don't feel that. High chance yes but 100% for sure? Mostly due to leakers and Brave? Don't we all remember starfox racing, and Armor forms for Pokemon S+S? I feel there still could be the chance of leak baits out there for smash, like all those people saying Steve

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I don't understand why Nintendo would name a code what a character is named in Japan.
Because the JP name for the class is 'Yuusha' brave is the literal translation being used in the west for speculation purposes

Plus those floaty jumps tied to Brave doesn't seem to fit Erdrick.
Stats don't mean anything. Joker and the Plant have stats that are very different from their original datamined Stats, including Joker's height.

Banjo has more in game proof then Erdrick does(Rare Spirits found in the code)
And there's a perfectly logical explanation to that, Nintendo owns the Trademark to those titles in Japan, same reason there's a Devil's Third Placeholder for spirits.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I personally wouldn't want that, simplay because I want the female alt for Erdrick. The main reason I'm rooting for Erdrick is for the female alt. Not to say I don't care about male Erdrick, but I tend to play as females in my games, and like female Erdrick much more than male. But if they included female Erdrick with all the other heroes then I'd be all for it. Like, if they had DQ hero 1, 3 male and female, 4 male and female, 5, 8, 11 or something like that then I'd be happy with that

zferolie

Smash Hero
Because the JP name for the class is 'Yuusha' brave is the literal translation being used in the west for speculation purposes

Stats don't mean anything. Joker and the Plant have stats that are very different from their original datamined Stats, including Joker's height.

And there's a perfectly logical explanation to that, Nintendo owns the Trademark to those titles in Japan, same reason there's a Devil's Third Placeholder for spirits.
I did not know they changed the stats post release. As for owning the tradmarks, that seems so weird. Why would Rare lose those tradmarks in japan but still own the rights overall? Copyright is strange.

I personally wouldn't want that, simplay because I want the female alt for Erdrick. The main reason I'm rooting for Erdrick is for the female alt. Not to say I don't care about male Erdrick, but I tend to play as females in my games, and like female Erdrick much more than male. But if they included female Erdrick with all the other heroes then I'd be all for it. Like, if they had DQ hero 1, 3 male and female, 4 male and female, 5, 8, 11 or something like that then I'd be happy with that
I am always for more female characters, and think if erdrick is it they should have one. Hopefully they get an amiibo form too... unlike Robin(why only the male amiibo still nintendo?!)

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Brave isn't even supposed to be used anywhere. It's a mistranslation that wouldn't usually happen to anyone who knows english.

Bravery is Yuuki in japanese. Yuusha really is different, and putting Yuusha as 'brave' is weird, since brave isn't a noun. (But we know it isn't the first time it's been used that way.)

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I did not know they changed the stats post release. As for owning the tradmarks, that seems so weird. Why would Rare lose those tradmarks in japan but still own the rights overall? Copyright is strange.
Trademarks are different than copyrights. A trademark basically gives you and people you allow to sell something using that trademark. It's why Dragon Quest had to be renamed to Dragon Warrior originally due to Dragon Quest already being trademarked by someone else in the west. Those particular games also had to have different titles in JP's release of Rare Replay.

I think that Female Erdrick is happening regardless. It's a big part of DQ3

Brave isn't even supposed to be used anywhere. It's a mistranslation that wouldn't usually happen to anyone who knows english.

Bravery is Yuuki in japanese. So putting Yuusha as 'brave' is weird, since brave isn't a noun. (But we know it isn't the first time it's been used that way.)
Brave can be a noun, the Star Spangled Banner is an example of that in English. It's just rare as all ****.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ya we've been talking about that and listing which hero we think could possibly make it a few pages back :)

Sakurai tweeted about the tournament and said he'd get up early to watch it, I dont know if there'll be any announcements, but it could be cool.
Nice. Smash tournament fits in with my schedule. I can watch that.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Trademarks are different than copyrights. A trademark basically gives you and people you allow to sell something using that trademark. It's why Dragon Quest had to be renamed to Dragon Warrior originally due to Dragon Quest already being trademarked by someone else in the west. Those particular games also had to have different titles in JP's release of Rare Replay.

I think that Female Erdrick is happening regardless. It's a big part of DQ3

Brave can be a noun, the Star Spangled Banner is an example of that in English. It's just rare as all ****.
Oh like home of the brave. you're right. I dont see it used like that often.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
I think I'm one of the few people who wouldn't want a Slime as a DQ rep :^)
Mascot over the main character seems weird to me.

D

Deleted member

No I'm down. The only one that made sense to me was Pikachu because of the iconic anime back in the day (that and Pokeballs were a genius workaround). Otherwise, Pokemon Trainer was long overdue.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
From what I've seen most dragon quest fans would rather have a hero (not all tho, of course). It would also be good for showing off some stuff about the main series that a slime couldn't. imo.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
There are plenty of people like you, including myself. Slime just doesn't fit the criteria for DLC. I mean, look at all the past DLC characters aside from PP: they're all human or humanoid characters. Sakurai and Nintendo would go with a human DQ characters over an enemy, even if the enemy is more recognizable

D

Deleted member

There are plenty of people like you, including myself. Slime just doesn't fit the criteria for DLC. I mean, look at all the past DLC characters aside from PP: they're all human or humanoid characters. Sakurai and Nintendo would go with a human DQ characters over an enemy, even if the enemy is more recognizable
Imagine a world where we got a Moogle instead of Cloud.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That's what I was hoping for at first :p

I changed to wanting Terra after Cloud got in. A moogle would still be cool tho, but .. there's lots of great characters.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
That would be so weird and confusing to everyone (aside from the Moogle supporters, which are probably out there). I feel like a lot of people who would prefer Slime do so because they know Slime and don't really know the DQ heroes. Not all, of course, but I bet most of them do. They only know DQ because of Slime, so that's why they'd go with Slime. That's my guess. Could be wrong though :)

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
No I'm down. The only one that made sense to me was Pikachu because of the iconic anime back in the day (that and Pokeballs were a genius workaround). Otherwise, Pokemon Trainer was long overdue.
I mean Pikachu is the main character of Pokemon, Smash draws some inspiration from the Pokemon anime and the Pokemon anime takes some things from Smash (Like Greninjas water blades)

The amount of Pokemon Episodes that do not include Pikachu can almost be counted on your fingers.
Pokemon Trainer however, yeah that was long overdue.

From what I've seen most dragon quest fans would rather have a hero (not all tho, of course). It would also be good for showing off some stuff about the main series that a slime couldn't. imo.
The amount of people i've seen that say "Real Dragon Quest fans want Slime, not Erdrick" as an argument is immense, and Im sure these people have never played a DQ game in their life.

I like Slimes and all, but imagine paying $5 for a blue ball :^)
If I didn't get PPlant for free, I most likely would not have bought him. (Despite buying the fighters pass....)

D

Deleted member

That would be so weird and confusing to everyone (aside from the Moogle supporters, which are probably out there). I feel like a lot of people who would prefer Slime do so because they know Slime and don't really know the DQ heroes. Not all, of course, but I bet most of them do. They only know DQ because of Slime, so that's why they'd go with Slime. That's my guess. Could be wrong though :)
My brother is a bigger fan of the series than me, and he wants Slime on the basis of him being more visually unique and charming. It depends on the person.

But for a person who doesn't know the series other than the Slime, I can see this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean Pikachu is the main character of Pokemon, Smash draws some inspiration from the Pokemon anime and the Pokemon anime takes some things from Smash (Like Greninjas water blades)

The amount of Pokemon Episodes that do not include Pikachu can almost be counted on your fingers.
Pokemon Trainer however, yeah that was long overdue.

The amount of people i've seen that say "Real Dragon Quest fans want Slime, not Erdrick" as an argument is immense, and Im sure these people have never played a DQ game in their life.

I like Slimes and all, but imagine paying $5 for a blue ball :^)
If I didn't get PPlant for free, I most likely would not have bought him. (Despite buying the fighters pass....)
I've seen more that aren't dragon quest fans say it, but definitely a few that are have said slime. Most of those though have only played a bit.
I think once you go on a long journey with a hero, it's a lot easier to feel attached to them instead of a slime. Especially since in the main games slimes can't do much by themselves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom