• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polan

Smash Lord
I've seen more that aren't dragon quest fans say it, but definitely a few that are have said slime. Most of those though have only played a bit.
I think once you go on a long journey with a hero, it's a lot easier to feel attached to them instead of a slime. Especially since in the main games slimes can't do much by themselves.
well rocket slime endeared me to a playable slime pretty well. but only like 5 people played that game so i don't think it counts for all that much.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
You know what.
We like the sound "brave" when we pronounce in Japanese.
Bu-re-i-bu or bu-re-i-vu.
There is a simple reason why we don't go with Valor Form for Sora in Japanese version.
Because Brave Form sounds waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more cooler.
Valor, yeah, could still work, but kinda sounds, I don't know, a little barbaric for us? Maybe?
I can totally understand why some poeple in Japan like to translate Yuusha, Brave, not the official Hero or something like "man of valor".
It's not matter of meanings really. It's matter of sounds.
Doesn't automatically make Brave = Erdrick though, but I honestly don't think the smash team is playing 4D chess here.

Last edited:

Theanimator10

Smash Cadet
I'm hoping we get Erdrick instead of Luminary. Erdrick's design is so much better in my opinion and he's also THE most important to the series overall. I wouldn't mind 11's protag as an alt, but man, if it's not Erdrick, then I feel like that's a missed opportunity to represent the series the right way. No offense to Luminary fans or fans of any other protags of the series.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'm hoping we get Erdrick instead of Luminary. Erdrick's design is so much better in my opinion and he's also THE most important to the series overall. I wouldn't mind 11's protag as an alt, but man, if it's not Erdrick, then I feel like that's a missed opportunity to represent the series the right way. No offense to Luminary fans or fans of any other protags of the series.
Oh yeah, for sure. Luminary looks very bland and boring to me. Erdrick looks way better. It baffles me that some people think Erdrick looks dumb

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
You know what.
We like the sound "brave" when we pronounce in Japanese.
Bu-re-i-bu or bu-re-i-vu.
There is a simple reason why we don't go with Valor Form for Sora in Japanese version.
Because Brave Form sounds waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more cooler.
Valor, yeah, could still work, but kinda sounds, I don't know, a little barbaric for us? Maybe?
I can totally understand why some poeple in Japan like to translate Yuusha, Brave, not the official Hero or something like "man of valor".
It's not matter of meanings really. It's matter of sounds.
Doesn't automatically make Brave = Erdrick though, but I honestly don't think the smash team is playing 4D chess here.
I know a certain rival to Pokemon that has a lot to do with the word Brave -

Digimon in Smash would be a pipe dream, but all my focus is on Dragon Quest atm-...

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
We also semi ruled out 5 because he's not like the others and also can't use zap. Anlucia from 10 is a hero and has been a fave in japan, showing up in different games, so she wouldnt be out of the running. Oh and also the 9's heroes is known as short too, so im not sure what the chances there would be.

And since there's gender alts for 3 and 4, that could take up 4 slots there.
So 3M, 3F, 4M, 4F, 6, 8,10 and 11. That would be cool.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So 3M, 3F, 4M, 4F, 6, 8,10 and 11. That would be cool.
You got it :)
I didn't put 6 (Rek) in my mock ups, because i thought it'd be cool to have 4 female alts. But I did do one with 1 (descendent)

Here's the post:
Here's my quick mock up for the hero alts:

View attachment 226351

I also made 2 versions with descendent, if anyone wants to see them. Here's one. Actually i'll put both:
Rek could easily replace one of them too, i think.

Last edited:

StellerRJay

~Chocobo Lover~
Switch FC
4077-3863-9308
That's what I was hoping for at first :p

I changed to wanting Terra after Cloud got in. A moogle would still be cool tho, but .. there's lots of great characters.
Moogles are great and all, but lets not forget about the amazing wonderful Chocobo!

Terra would definitely be pretty nice to have too though~

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Absolutely agree. I’d be disappointed if it’s just Luminary. He’d be cool as an altz

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Moogles are great and all, but lets not forget about the amazing wonderful Chocobo!

Terra would definitely be pretty nice to have too though~
Definitely! I love chocobos :)
And coming in as a third mascot, we also have the amazing cactuar ;p

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I can live with Erdrick or Luminary. So long as it isn't a slime. No offense to slime lovers but I personally feel like a slime doesn't represent the essence of the franchise fairly well.

D

Deleted member

I know a certain rival to Pokemon that has a lot to do with the word Brave -

Digimon in Smash would be a pipe dream, but all my focus is on Dragon Quest atm-...
Secretly hoping for Omnimon so I can lose my **** over Digimon being in Smash.

Definitely! I love chocobos :)
And coming in as a third mascot, we also have the amazing cactuar ;p

Cactuar would be dope for me, but only because I watched Cactuar and Tonberry growing up. My brother and I will meme his inclusion to death

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Well since E3 is starting to kick off, I figured I’d come in and wish you guys the best.

Not really a fan of DQ, but I know the series has a lot of fans and Erdrick’s been on most speculators minds for about half a year, so if he/she (or someone else from DQ) gets in, I’ll be happy for you guys.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I mean yeah, I expect a DQ rep as a likely chance, but I think Slime would be a btter pick, as it has more world wide reconition then Erdrick. Its the face of the series, and even non DQ players know Slime
The reason they would go for Erdrick and not Slime is because the focus on DQ is on the heroes, not the monsters. Dragon Quest is about going on cool adventures to defeat a great evil, and heroes like Erdrick are a big part of that. It’s not like Pokemon where the focus really is about the mons.

Slimes, though iconic, are only a mere part of the experience, and I would imagine that they’ll be a part of the crossover aspect in Smash regardless of what role they play (Spirits, Mii costumes). I don’t think they would do the same thing for the player character in that scenario considering Erdrick is as much of an icon as Slime within the Dragon Quest franchise. His sword and emblem are recurring elements and his legacy is a big part of the first three games, and the latest game in the series has made references to him, so there’s definitely merit to include him as the main rep.

zferolie

Smash Hero
The reason they would go for Erdrick and not Slime is because the focus on DQ is on the heroes, not the monsters. Dragon Quest is about going on cool adventures to defeat a great evil, and heroes like Erdrick are a big part of that. It’s not like Pokemon where the focus really is about the mons.

Slimes, though iconic, are only a mere part of the experience, and I would imagine that they’ll be a part of the crossover aspect in Smash regardless of what role they play (Spirits, Mii costumes). I don’t think they would do the same thing for the player character in that scenario considering Erdrick is as much of an icon as Slime within the Dragon Quest franchise. His sword and emblem are recurring elements and his legacy is a big part of the first three games, and the latest game in the series has made references to him, so there’s definitely merit to include him as the main rep.

That is logical. I think it could go either way myself honestly. I think slime would be a lot more unique of a fighter too though.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice

I'd say that's mostly true, but the monster designs are pretty iconic in and of themselves, even being the focus of the DQ Walk trailer. They're the most consistent aspect of the series while the human characters come and go for the most part. In any case, either design conveys Toriyama's charming art style quite well.

That's not to say I prefer Slime over Erdrick, but it wouldn't be a total loss.

That is logical. I think it could go either way myself honestly. I think slime would be a lot more unique of a fighter too though.
Visually, not mechanically, IMO. Both have access to DQ's spells.

In other news. E3 has unofficially begun. I'm as ready as any of you are.
unknown-6.png

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I'd say that's mostly true, but the monster designs are pretty iconic in and of themselves, even being the focus of the DQ Walk trailer. They're the most consistent aspect of the series while the human characters come and go for the most part. In any case, either design conveys Toriyama's charming art style quite well.

That's not to say I prefer Slime over Erdrick, but it wouldn't be a total loss.

Visually, not mechanically, IMO. Both have access to DQ's spells.

In other news. E3 has unofficially begun. I'm as ready as any of you are.
View attachment 226638
Ah, i see you're prepared aswell ! Mind sharing that Gohan Erdrick ? I'll add it to my folder.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yup Mario Maker 2 tourney is on the way right now. It's finally begun :)

There's still gonna be the Splatoon one later too before smash.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
I think slime would be a lot more unique of a fighter too though.
No offense but I think people say this look at design rather than moveset potential
Outside the spin-off games, Slimes dont do much. Especially the base blue slime

Without a gimmicky concept of "turning into other slimes", which doesn't really make sense....(Granted, Smash aint canon) base Slimes cant do much. :^)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
No offense but I think people say this look at design rather than moveset potential
Outside the main games, Slimes dont do much. Especially the base blue slime

Without a gimmicky concept of "turning into other slimes", which doesn't really make sense....(Granted, Smash aint canon) base Slimes cant do much. :^)
I think you mean outside spin-offs.
Slimes could call for help (for more slimes) and be able to turn into stacks or a slime king. That's about as much as I can think. They could maaybe be able to use frizz, since they can have that in DQMonsters.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
I think you mean outside spin-offs.
Slimes could call for help (for more slimes) and be able to turn into stacks or a slime king. That's about as much as I can think. They could maaybe be able to use frizz, since they can have that in DQMonsters.
Oopsie, totally meant spin-offs :^)

Yeah thats the thing...almost every moveset i've seen for slime just has them turning into other slimes. I've seen arguments that PPlant does that...but only for his F-Smash. The only equivalent to that I can see in Smash is Slime using a Slime-Knight (since they're just actually alive) Besides whos to say Plant isnt just growing thorns?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oopsie, totally meant spin-offs :^)

Yeah thats the thing...almost every moveset i've seen for slime just has them turning into other slimes. I've seen arguments that PPlant does that...but only for his F-Smash. The only equivalent to that I can see in Smash is Slime using a Slime-Knight (since they're just actually alive) Besides whos to say Plant isnt just growing thorns?
I do think slime has enough moveset potential to be fun. I just dont like when people say things like it has more than a hero, which is untrue 100%, by a lot :p

And considering PPlant and the blobs (like kirby :p), I'm not sure i'd feel that it'd be completely unique. So why not have a character that can have so much more going and rep the main series.

Last edited:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
I do think slime has enough moveset potential to be fun. I just dont like when people say things like it has more than a hero, which is untrue 100%, by a lot :p

And considering PPlant and the blobs (like kirby :p), I'm not sure i'd feel that it'd be completely unique. So why not have a character that can have so much more going and rep the main series.
The "unique" argument is weird because over half of the roster has a unique moveset, I think people tend to forget that.
Or am I right and they're talking about design? It's weird to me

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The "unique" argument is weird because over half of the roster has a unique moveset, I think people tend to forget that.
Or am I right and they're talking about design? It's weird to me
No I think it's just because some people look at erdrick as just another human sword user. They dont know everything they can do or have and dont look at how many non-human character we have, which is a decent amount. :p

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
No I think it's just because some people look at erdrick as just another human sword user. They dont know everything they can do or have and dont look at how many non-human character we have, which is a decent amount. :p
:^) Teeb why cant roster wars just end

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Speak of the devil. Was just talking to someone on Twitter about why Erdrick isn't simply a sword user.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Speak of the devil. Was just talking to someone on Twitter about why Erdrick isn't simply a sword user.
The first attack Erdrick will use in his trailer will be a sword swing and it'll set the "SWORD USER" radar off :^)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The first attack Erdrick will use in his trailer will be a sword swing and it'll set the "SWORD USER" radar off :^)
Hey you never know. I really wonder how unique sakurai would want to show erdrick as. I have a bit of optimism about it, though really it could still happen like that XD

I also wonder how far he'd want to go for designing costumes. I think DQ1 descendent has a chance to be featured at least as armor or something, but if we really see hero alts, boy will that be awesome.

First step, getting erdrick in smash ;p

Last edited:

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
The anti-sword character thing is honestly weird, especially when you look and see Smash honestly doesn't have many sword users....
I will not be counting echoes in this, or Young Link.
Smash 64, One Sword User: (Using their Ultimate version of the characters for this however)
Link: Jab, All Smash Attacks, All Tilts, Fair, Up Air, and Dair. Up Special

Melee, 2 Sword Users Added:
Marth: All Attacks use sword
Roy: See above

Brawl, 3 Sword Users Added:
Meta Knight: All attacks besides Neutral Special
Ike: All attacks besides jab 1
Toon Link: Same as Link

Smash 4, and this is where I think the hate for swords started...4 sword users added, 5 counting Lucina:
Robin: Aerials, Smashes, and Tilts.
Shulk: All attacks besides jab 1
No more sword users until DLC
Cloud: Smashes, Aerials. F-Tilt, Up Tilt. Side Special, Up Special.
Now this is where it makes no sense, Corrin despite being the most hated addition in this game....barely uses their sword.
Corrin: Jab, TECHNICALLY down smash. Fair, Up Air, All Tilts....thats it. Corrin uses his dragon powers for the rest of his moveset.

This carries onto Ultimate, the only sword character added is...Joker, if you want to count him. He only uses his dagger.
Joker: Jab, All Smash Attacks, F-Tilt, Up Tilt, Bair, Dair. That's all.

Not counting echoes (or young link), we have a grand total of...11 sword users. Even if we include echoes and YL into this, that number only goes up to 14. 16 if you're petty and include the Pits. Also, calling Ganon a sword user would be even pettier because he uses his sword for a grand total of 3 attacks, all reused animations too.

11-14 out of a roster of over 70 characters honestly isnt that bad....(also please tell me if Im missing anything)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom