• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Let me guess, the composer would riot.
Characters in the dubs of DQ games are usually done with various European accents. I know you're probably joking but absolutely nothing to do with that lol
The reason why it's speculation to be Smash is because she called it "One of the biggest games ever".
But what specifically ties it to Smash? Plenty of games can be described like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
In all honesty, If Cristina Vee is referencing smash, I'd sooner believe her to be the voice of Erdrick, Shantae or Reimu before Edelgard.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Alfonzo is about to be in charge of roaring at you for not going to bed.

D

Deleted member

More people are saying it's Shantae than anything. Looking up her wikipedia page, she's been around and has done everything but a Dragon Quest game. Might be a hint worth moon walking away from. Voice actors don't decide the characters.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Let me guess, the composer would riot.
Dragon Quest's style of localization is Extremely British, and English-language voices in Dragon Quest have always been done by UK theatre actors, from DQVIII in 2005 up until DQXI just recently. It all fits really well with DQ's presentation and helps the series stand out from other anime-lookin' games, and even the Japanese staff seem fond of it.

We also hear Erdrick's mom mum briefly at the very end of DQXI, and she's definitely English.

Who knows if they'd even give Erdrick a voice at all, but if they did it wouldn't be Cristina Vee or Laura Bailey or whoever, it'd be Additional Voices from Xenoblade 2.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Dragon Quest's style of localization is Extremely British, and English-language voices in Dragon Quest have always been done by UK theatre actors, from DQVIII in 2005 up until DQXI just recently. It all fits really well with DQ's presentation and helps the series stand out from other anime-lookin' games, and even the Japanese staff seem fond of it.

We also hear Erdrick's mom mum briefly at the very end of DQXI, and she's definitely English.

Who knows if they'd even give Erdrick a voice at all, but if they did it wouldn't be Cristina Vee or Laura Bailey or whoever, it'd be Additional Voices from Xenoblade 2.
I don't particularly like the british accents, i dont find it fits necessarily, but yeah dragon quest heroes was like that too.

She could be hired to make new voices tho. and who knows maybe she can do british accents fine :p

D

Deleted member

I want to start reading the Dragon Quest manga, tbh.

It would also be nostalgic to see Eight as Erdrick's Alph.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I want to start reading the Dragon Quest manga, tbh.

It would also be nostalgic to see Eight as Erdrick's Alph.
I read Emblem of Roto.
I thought it was pretty good!
I'll probably read Dai no Daibouken next, after I'm done with the anime (really good).
And then I think there are a few misc manga like a DQM one, a manga about Alena, and a few other specific character-centric manga.

Which one are you going for first?

D

Deleted member

I read Emblem of Roto.
I thought it was pretty good!
I'll probably read Dai no Daibouken next, after I'm done with the anime (really good).
And then I think there are a few misc manga like a DQM one, a manga about Alena, and a few other specific character-centric manga.

Which one are you going for first?
One of these
3A420BC7-EE8D-499E-8B19-551016AAEC12.png

7A2CE715-2870-450A-A328-47F4D7B1C6AE.png

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Been fantasizing about 3D remakes for the early DQ titles (1~6) Made a little list of changes I would love to see.

DQ1
+ Make Zoom spell take you to any town.
+ Different endings if you rescue Gwaelyn or not, and if you beat Dragonlord with her in arms.

DQ2
+ Add something like Shield techniques to MC because he's kind of bland compared to the other descendants.
+ Have Dragonlord Grandson be a hidden party member (if you beat him and answer something correctly?)

DQ3
+ Implement the perfected class System from future games.
+ Make female Erdrick a bit more different.
+ Have all features from GBC
+ In-game explanations to how Natures work.
DQ4
+ Make Torneko's chapter more fun.
+ Date sim? :p

DQ5
(It's perfect)

DQ6
+ Revise the 2nd half of the game's story.
+ Every character should be able to find their other selves.
+ Needs more training spots / not enough King Metal Slimes? (Especially for post-game grinding)

DQ general:
+ Make visual changes to characters according to the equipment they're wearing.
+ Full orchestra bgm.
+ Tension System from DQ8

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was re-reading the quote from Vergeben
No. Read the leaked messages & posts I have made addressing it since. It was Erdrick that I heard the most & typically if someone heard about him they also heard The Luminary or vice versa. But Erdrick was the most recurring name heard overall. It's Erdrick.
And after seeing that he already said twice in that one sentence that erdrick was most heard about, saying it again for a third time seems like a lot. Maybe he was actually settling on erdrick being the character making it in. Could be just saying it again for emphasis, but in any case,
I feel a little good about erdrick's chances. Will be awesome if it's true :)

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Been fantasizing about 3D remakes for the early DQ titles (1~6) Made a little list of changes I would love to see.
I'm torn between thinking a DQIII remake would be best, to have a class-system game to contrast with DQXI's traditional party, and thinking that a DQIV or DQV remake would be the better to do next because of those games' more experimental structure. I guess that'd make DQV the winner for being weird and having monster recruiting, but I know there are people who just love DQIX and can't get enough of that vocation system and post-game grind, and a DQIII remake could bring that back in a big way, so who knows.

DQI and DQII are tough, since they're so simple. If they could be semi-remade in something like the Octopath Traveler style and sold bundled together like the SNES and GBC versions were, I think that'd be ideal. It might be going too far to tamper with them too much.

Whatever game we get next, I expect it to use Pep again instead of Tension. I hope it's really an ideal mix of both, since I prefer that Tension's manually activated and chargeable, but I also like the way Pep's buff lasts for several turns, but can be cashed in for team-up attacks.

D

Deleted member

I was re-reading the quote from Vergeben

And after seeing that he already said twice in that one sentence that erdrick was most heard about, saying it again for a third time seems like a lot. Maybe he was actually settling on erdrick being the character making it in. Could be just saying it again for emphasis, but in any case,
I feel a little good about erdrick's chances. Will be awesome if it's true :)
Seeing Vergeben clarify how often Erdrick is still being heard is kind of comforting. TBF, it could totally be the flash bang meant to blind us from the bullet, but Erdrick still remaining has the most heard means people inside aren't changing their minds over the subject. I'm assuming the next DLC will be announced this month or next. If the DLC is close to being announced, I would assume a gradual shift of information to likely happen if Erdrick wasn't the actual fighter. Since that's not the case and apparently this Tansut fellow backs Dragon Quest fully, leaker information is strong for the franchise.

Plus I'm starting to think Sora is less likely now. After Kingdom Hearts 3 was released, did anyone felt like the attention toward Sora stopped? I think Sora's greatest reason for being included would be to advertise Kingdom Hearts 3, but now that it's no longer on the cusp of release, it's just sort of there now. No doubt it's being talked about, but what other reason would there be to hype Sora up? Kingdom Hearts 3 being out is the perfect time to announce Sora. As we go through the weeks, more and more information piles onto Erdrick and less does for Sora. If this is a Grinch leak situation, then it's pretty masterful because it discredits some big name leakers. I'm thinking Erdrick is in, y'all. Only Crono and Geno are the only other contenders I can imagine that would throw a wrench into everything and be unexpected.

Or we could just get Sora. Yay...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Seeing Vergeben clarify how often Erdrick is still being heard is kind of comforting. TBF, it could totally be the flash bang meant to blind us from the bullet, but Erdrick still remaining has the most heard means people inside aren't changing their minds over the subject. I'm assuming the next DLC will be announced this month or next. If the DLC is close to being announced, I would assume a gradual shift of information to likely happen if Erdrick wasn't the actual fighter. Since that's not the case and apparently this Tansut fellow backs Dragon Quest fully, leaker information is strong for the franchise.

Plus I'm starting to think Sora is less likely now. After Kingdom Hearts 3 was released, did anyone felt like the attention toward Sora stopped? I think Sora's greatest reason for being included would be to advertise Kingdom Hearts 3, but now that it's no longer on the cusp of release, it's just sort of there now. No doubt it's being talked about, but what other reason would there be to hype Sora up? As we go through the weeks, more and more information piles onto Erdrick and less does for Sora. If this is a Grinch leak situation, then it's pretty masterful because it discredits some big name leakers. I'm thinking Erdrick is in, y'all. Only Crono and Geno are the only other contenders I can imagine that would throw a wrench into everything and be unexpected.

Or we could just get Sora. Yay...
I don't know about if they're still hearing the name now, but they did enough, at least.
But one thing I wonder about is at what point it started happening, because we didn't hear erdrick very much before december, so maybe SE really did a good job keeping it under wraps for a long time.

I really feel like they should announce who it is within the next 2 months (hopefully sooner than later). So much might be cleared up if we actually get some info :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't know about if they're still hearing the name now, but they did enough, at least.
But one thing I wonder about is at what point it started happening, because we didn't hear erdrick very much before december, so maybe SE really did a good job keeping it under wraps for a long time.

I really feel like they should announce who it is within the next 2 months (hopefully sooner than later). So much might be cleared up if we actually get some info :)
That's a good question. It was definitely near release date. I think somewhere before or after Joker's reveal where it started gaining traction. When DLC starts being worked on is the perfect time for when all of these names begin coming out.

And really, I just want the release to come as much as anyone. Maybe next direct because they seem to always cap those off with a Smash announcement. At this point, it would be a mistake to not announce Smash DLC in the next direct.

D

Deleted member

Oh wow. This is pretty cool artwork! It's definitely a fake image leak for the lolz, but how would you all feel if this was the Erdrick we got? Personally, I love this design. I know there are a lot of female Erdrick fans, but this fits naturally and I think the style works with what DQ 3 originally might have been. Really well made.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
They should remake the first 3 games into one big game.

Act 1. You're the Prince of Middenhall(a descendant of the Legendary Hero Erdrick) , you travel to Alefgard. Save the Princess, who joins your party as a healer. The two of you defeat the Dragonlord.
Act 2. You travel to your homeland with the Princess to show her around, when evil encompasses the land once again. You find the Prince of Cannock and the Princess of Moonbrook and defeat Malroth, who banishes your party to another world.
Act 3. Your party learns how to change Jobs in this new world and adventures to defeat the evil Baramos. Upon his defeat, you find a way to travel back to your own world.
Act 4. You return to your world, but end up in the distant past. The world is controlled by Zoma, who you quest to defeat, and upon becoming victorious, you learn that you are the Legendary Hero Erdrick.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oh wow. This is pretty cool artwork! It's definitely a fake image leak for the lolz, but how would you all feel if this was the Erdrick we got? Personally, I love this design. I know there are a lot of female Erdrick fans, but this fits naturally and I think the style works with what DQ 3 originally might have been. Really well made.

Well hey if they did go with the chibi, who says they wouldn't go ahead and make new artwork and models for the female version too? I dont think it'd be too hard to pull off. I do like how that art looks, looks nice. Wonder if they made that from scratch.

But, this pic is in english. Why would someone have that at this point? It'd be in development and with japanese names, most likely.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
That's exactly the kind of silly nonsense I've been hoping for. I'd certainly like him to be that expressive, whatever design we might get.

I don't know where the idea that there can't be a female NES Erdrick comes from, though. They could just... make one. It wouldn't be difficult to adapt female Erdrick's SNES design to the NES proportions. Erdrick could still be a girl in the NES version, and it's not like they look especially different.

I still think it's most likely that we'd get a brand-new design instead of a direct adaptation of an existing one anyway, maybe direct from Toriyama. There are already a bunch of different versions of the character: the black-haired chibi NES design, the big DBZ-lookin' SNES design, the brown-haired chibi (proto-Builders?) GBC design, and the more adolescent-looking design from the recent artbook.

D

Deleted member

Well hey if they did go with the chibi, who says they wouldn't go ahead and make new artwork and models for the female version too? I dont think it'd be too hard to pull off. I do like how that art looks, looks nice. Wonder if they made that from scratch.

But, this pic is in english. Why would someone have that at this point? It'd be in development and in japanese, most likely.
No doubt. I bet this is definitely not the real deal. I just thought it was a really good render of what Erdrick could be and wanted thoughts and opinions of its quality.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

But, this pic is in english. Why would someone have that at this point? It'd be in development and with japanese names, most likely.
Game has to be tested at NOA as well.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I prefer the non-chibi version of Erdrick. Considering the vast majority of the series doesn't use that art style. Not even the remakes of the earlier games that DID use that style originally.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Game has to be tested at NOA as well.
Depends how they do development. Usually you wouldn't localize stuff at the same time, it's way too much effort to constantly do. Once it's more set in the native environment, then it would make more sense. The character would probably still be early in development.

No doubt. I bet this is definitely not the real deal. I just thought it was a really good render of what Erdrick could be and wanted thoughts and opinions of its quality.
Yes I enjoyed the art.

Also, I found this pic of how the sprites were different, but i think this was the gbc version. I do think there was hardly a difference on the nes, if i recall.

Allele.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Depends how they do development. Usually you wouldn't localize stuff at the same time, it's way too much effort to constantly do. Once it's more set in the native environment, then it would make more sense. The character would probably still be early in development.

Yes I enjoyed the art.

Also, I found this pic of how the sprites were different, but i think this was the gbc version. I think there was hardly a difference on the nes, if i recall.

View attachment 190711
Barely a difference, I agree. I can imagine an Erdrick female alt conceptually being no big deal. With better modern graphics, she'll probably have more standout features. Otherwise, it should be no big deal.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Barely a difference, I agree. I can imagine an Erdrick female alt conceptually being no big deal. With better modern graphics, she'll probably have more standout features. Otherwise, it should be no big deal.
Yeah, even though I dont think they'd go with the chibi design, I think it'd be easy enough to add.
This is the chibiest art I have of her now. It's not exactly hitting the official style, but still nice. :)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah, even though I dont think they'd go with the chibi design, I think it'd be easy enough to add.
This is the chibiest art I have of her now. Not exactly hitting the official style, but still nice. :)

That poor slime...

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I've always been charmed by how similar male and female Erdrick look. You can tell from Solo and Sofia that Toriyama probably would've done a completely separate design if his hands weren't tied by what they did in the NES version, so we ended up with the accidental tomboy. There's not really any other DQ character who looks quite like her. Plus, hey, anyone who plays DBFZ gets to go on about how Videl's a DLC character in two games back to back.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I've always been charmed by how similar male and female Erdrick look. You can tell from Solo and Sofia that Toriyama probably would've done a completely separate design if his hands weren't tied by what they did in the NES version, so we ended up with the accidental tomboy. There's not really any other DQ character who looks quite like her. Plus, hey, anyone who plays DBFZ gets to go on about how Videl's a DLC character in two games back to back.
Hey a tomboy one once in a while ain't bad :)
If there's other alt costumes that'll be interesting too.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The Female Erdrick design was from the SNES. Not only that, but Sofia is from the NES era as well.

BUt yes, I really want female Erdrick because of how much it reminds me of Videl.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
The Female Erdrick design was from the SNES. Not only that, but Sofia is from the NES era as well.
That's what I mean. If they'd asked Toriyama to do a design for a female Erdrick for the NES version of DQIII in the first place, I figure he'd have done something like he ended up doing for DQIV (and for the male/female versions of most of DQIII's classes) and made them very distinct from each other. But because there was no design for her in that version and they just used the same sprite for both, Toriyama had to come up with a design that looked more or less like the male design when they did the SNES remake, for consistency's sake, I guess.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
That's what I mean. If they'd asked Toriyama to do a design for a female Erdrick for the NES version of DQIII in the first place, I figure he'd have done something like he ended up doing for DQIV (and for the male/female versions of most of DQIII's classes) and made them very distinct from each other. But because there was no design for her in that version and they just used the same sprite for both, Toriyama had to come up with a design that looked more or less like the male design when they did the SNES remake, for consistency's sake, I guess.
Ah, I see what you mean. My mistake. Regardless, I really like the design as is. Lot of good fan art out there.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
It could just as easily have been Toriyama's choice, and I'm way off base. He kind of just does whatever he wants. If you look at the original concept sketches of DQXI's cast that were sent to him vs. his final designs, you can tell where he completely ignored what the developers asked for and drew what he felt like. The original sketch of the Luminary and Toriyama's version are night and day.

But then, his first version of Sylvando's design was apparently sent back to him to re-do to better fit his backstory, so there's some give and take there.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

I'm in love with that render!
I like Childrick almost as much as the adult version, but I'd be alright with this.

Toriyama would have no problem designing a female Childrick, I mean he has designed completely original characters for other games.

D

Deleted member

DQ1
+ Make Zoom spell take you to any town.
+ Different endings if you rescue Gwaelyn or not, and if you beat Dragonlord with her in arms.

DQ2
+ Add something like Shield techniques to MC because he's kind of bland compared to the other descendants.
+ Have Dragonlord Grandson be a hidden party member (if you beat him and answer something correctly?)

DQ3
+ Implement the perfected class System from future games.
+ Make female Erdrick a bit more different.
+ Have all features from GBC
+ In-game explanations to how Natures work.
DQ4
+ Make Torneko's chapter more fun.
+ Date sim? :p

DQ5
(It's perfect)

DQ6
+ Revise the 2nd half of the game's story.
+ Every character should be able to find their other selves.
+ Needs more training spots / not enough King Metal Slimes? (Especially for post-game grinding)

DQ general:
+ Make visual changes to characters according to the equipment they're wearing.
+ Full orchestra bgm.
+ Tension System from DQ8
If they were to remake the older games, I'd like to see some deviation from the standard turn based format and experiment. Like, how about DQ1 as an open world action RPG?

This is a really good fake, I like that style a lot. The lack of Joker on the CSS kills it though.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If they were to remake the older games, I'd like to see some deviation from the standard turn based format and experiment. Like, how about DQ1 as an open world action RPG?

This is a really good fake, I like that style a lot. The lack of Joker on the CSS kills it though.
Well, I don't know how far they want to reinvent dragon quest. It's pretty traditional for the main series to be turn-based. But the whole new FF7 they were making was basically that extreme of a jump, and the action looked amazing. I wouldn't mind a battle system that strays from the 'warriors' type games, so I'd be all up for more action dq games, I just dont know how it might show up.

Future of video games looks pretty kewl.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Well, I don't know how far they want to reinvent dragon quest. It's pretty traditional for the main series to be turn-based. But the whole new FF7 they were making was basically that extreme of a jump, and the action looked amazing. I wouldn't mind a battle system that strays from the 'warriors' type games, so I'd be all up for more action dq games, I just dont know how it might show up.

Future of video games looks pretty kewl.
Dragon Quest 9 was originally going to have action RPG combat like how FF7R currently will, but Square Enix faced EXTREME backlash in Japan for the announcement, so the game was reworked to use turn based combat.

If Dragon Quest is ever going to stray from turn based fighting, it'll have to have confidence in itself and trust that it knows what it's doing regardless of any potential negative reception.

D

Deleted member

Dragon Quest 9 was originally going to have action RPG combat like how FF7R currently will, but Square Enix faced EXTREME backlash in Japan for the announcement, so the game was reworked to use turn based combat.
I remember that Sakurai even defended the change, I kind of see both parties points of view regarding it.

For one part, I like DQ as a turn-based game. It is pretty rare nowadays having high-budgeted JRPGs that are both Fantasy-themed and turn-based. I would prefer to have a more action spinoff-subline like Heroes rather than having the mainline games being more action based. But I can see that probably Horii might want to try the ARPG to make the game more appealing outside Japan.

(As for the mangas of DQ, I can't recommend Dai no Daibouken enough. It is probably one of the best Shonen manga I have read. Its a bit straightforward storywise but its superbly executed with great characters)

D

Deleted member

I remember that Sakurai even defended the change, I kind of see both parties points of view regarding it.

For one part, I like DQ as a turn-based game. It is pretty rare nowadays having high-budgeted JRPGs that are both Fantasy-themed and turn-based. I would prefer to have a more action spinoff-subline like Heroes rather than having the mainline games being more action based. But I can see that probably Horii might want to try the ARPG to make the game more appealing outside Japan.

(As for the mangas of DQ, I can't recommend Dai no Daibouken enough. It is probably one of the best Shonen manga I have read. Its a bit straightforward storywise but its superbly executed with great characters)
For sure. Dragon Quest is something of an oasis in this time and age when you just need a good dosage of old turn based gameplay.
But, I wouldn't mind some deviation occasionally either. As long as all the new mainline games stick to the usual.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
iirc I think Sakurai only defended DQ10's decision to be an MMO. I don't recall him saying anything about DQ9.

I like turn based RPGs more than action-y ones myself. The big strength for me is that I can have fun strategizing without needing quick reflexes or anything like that. Given that RPGs are the most popular genre of game in Japan, I assume it helps for people of all ages that don't want to put the time into having to learn to have good hand eye coordination like most games ask.

On the other hand, I think you can turn Dragon Quest into an action game while still making the combat user friendly and manageable for people like I described. I'm confident that the company can pull it off, all it needs is some confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom