• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

As for DH, must be a Banjo Kazooie thing, even though he doesn't walk on all fours.
Wouldnt Amateratsu from Okami fits as well? Amy is a wolf so body isnt that far off from a dog plus she has the brush on her back.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
I'm high on thinking about Erdrick or any Dragon Quest stuff in Smash and if he's not in the game I blame you all

D

Deleted member

I'm high on thinking about Erdrick or any Dragon Quest stuff in Smash and if he's not in the game I blame you all
We'll riot at the doorstep of whoever put out the leaks if they're fake.
Ok perhaps not but it would be very very very very frustrating.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm not convinced erdrick is in. I just like that there's more chance that DQ can be in.
I'd probably still be disappointed tho if nothing cool comes up, but after the grinch leak I dont think anything like it can be trusted.

A direct soon would be good..

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
The upshot is that between Builders 2 and XI S, there's bound to be something DQ-related in the next Direct. The radio silence on those is reaching the point of being actually suspicious. It seems likely to me that one or both are being deliberately saved up.

...which would line up pretty well with a Smash reveal, of course, but if every big reveal or release for a major franchise coincided with a rep in Smash we'd have a roster of like 500 characters. My fingers are crossed, though.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Wouldnt Amateratsu from Okami fits as well? Amy is a wolf so body isnt that far off from a dog plus she has the brush on her back.
Yeah, you're right. She could fit the base character if it's were DH.
Also, Wolf Link, so that there are now 4 Links.
:p to counter 4 Marths.
I'm not convinced erdrick is in. I just like that there's more chance that DQ can be in.
I'd probably still be disappointed tho if nothing cool comes up, but after the grinch leak I dont think anything like it can be trusted.

A direct soon would be good..
I'm somewhat optimistic about it, but I feel like he was already in thanks to Dai being in JF. (I've already picked up the pace with the series, and it's AWESOME!) Although if Dai is kind of like Kid Erdrick, if we get Erdrick in Smash, I'm sure they'll go for the teen version.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
There's a theory going around that Mii Swordfighter and Dunk Hunt are being used as a base for DLC characters, as those two are the other characters that cause issues when fighting in All-Star. There's a number of issues with this theory but, if it's true, doesn't it make sense that Erdrick's base would be the Mii Swordfighter, seeing how they have similar builds and semi-similar styles of sword play?
If Duck Hunt is being used as a base, then I have to say that Spyro is probably getting in, since Duck Hunt is the only quadruped besides Ivysaur, and Spyro is one of the only other quadrupeds I can think of that would have a huge amount of selling power. Compare Duck Hunt's idle with Spyro's:

duck_hunt_idle.jpg

spyro_idle.png

EDIT: I actually checked if there was any talk of the Spyro trilogy remaster coming to Switch, and it was actually listed on both the game's website and Nintendo's official online store, but mysteriously disappeared.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...te_lists_nintendo_switch_in_pre-order_section
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...s_spyro_reignited_trilogy_is_coming_to_switch

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, you're right. She could fit the base character if it's were DH.
Also, Wolf Link, so that there are now 4 Links.
:p to counter 4 Marths.

I'm somewhat optimistic about it, but I feel like he was already in thanks to Dai being in JF. (I've already picked up the pace with the series, and it's AWESOME!) Although if Dai is kind of like Kid Erdrick, if we get Erdrick in Smash, I'm sure they'll go for the teen version.
It's fine to be positive and hopeful. I'm just not confident in it myself, and trying to manage my expectations. I'll be happy if they're in.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
This theory is super dumb. Can you discuss it somewhere besides the Erdrick thread.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It seems that Shinya Kumazaki of all people did this recently:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bta15lBFa00/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=ay9v3uc9w5cn

Sak's face when:

View attachment 190094

But seriously though if this is a hint, it's pretty brazen to do this. If it's small Eddy, the 5Chan leak will be torn to shreds.
I think if they're in it's going to be the adult version. I also think the 5-character leak may be fake, but it would surprise me less if the 2-character one isn't, in which case Erdrick would still be in :)

D

Deleted member

Hey I’m from the geno thread and I want to be added to the supporter list I would like to see eddy come to smash

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bta15lBFa00/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=ay9v3uc9w5cn

Sak's face when:

View attachment 190094

But seriously though if this is a hint, it's pretty brazen to do this. If it's small Eddy, the 5Chan leak will be torn to shreds.
I wouldn't take it as a hint. All it really means is that the DQ Protagonists are easily attributed to the word Brave which is something we already knew.

D

Deleted member

Sak's face when:

View attachment 190094

Considering DQIII is the most popular DQ in Japan and a lot of developers grew up with the game, I would think its more of the guy being a fan rather than something in Smash. Especially since Sakurai isn't a Hal employee anymore.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Playing Dragon Quest 1 made me realise that this game had sheer influence on the RPG genre as a whole. Like damn, like they didn't invent just about anything? It's rather simple, but fun because it has easy rewards and easy enough direction even if it leaves you alone in a open world to explore. Level ups are also rather rewarding and make a great difference most of the time. So that's great for scaling your progress, and how you actually need certain spells to get through obstacles easier.

I might play Dragon Quest 3 next, but on a emulator. I really like 1 so far.

D

Deleted member

When I think of old school Dragon Quest, I think of Dragon Warriors Monsters for the Gameboy Color. I knew nothing about what was going on, but I think it shows how familiar I am with the series. A classic song.

D

Deleted member

For the record, this isn't the first time the dude posted about Dragon Quest. Hell, he even acknowledged Disney last year. I do admit that finding DQ merchandise feels so foreign to me, because it popularity literally is something to do with foreign cultures. Intuitively, one can speculate this shows how much of a cultural phenomenon Erdrick still is over there, inadvertently increasing his chances..

Could he have subconsciously bought a Erdrick shield because he knows Erdrick is in Smash and it's on his mind? Could he have bought it because he follows online speculation? Could he have bought it because he thought it was just a sick shield to have around the house? I gots no clue.

E: NGL, I would totally be down for those shiny monster stands.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman

It just means he's a fan having some fun. The only significance is that yes, "brave" is something that a Japanese speaker might use to refer to a DQ hero if they weren't thinking too hard about it. And also that the localization name change feels a bit silly when you're staring at ROTO in giant letters on his shield.

When I think of old school Dragon Quest, I think of Dragon Warriors Monsters for the Gameboy Color. I knew nothing about what was going on, but I think it shows how familiar I am with the series. A classic song.
DQM was my first Dragon Quest game, borrowed from a friend. If there's one DQ game I'm most bummed out that we didn't get, it's the 3DS remake of that game. Or the phone port of that remake. Maybe we'll get the new one they just announced?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

DQM was my first Dragon Quest game, borrowed from a friend. If there's one DQ game I'm most bummed out that we didn't get, it's the 3DS remake of that game. Or the phone port of that remake. Maybe we'll get the new one they just announced?
Loving the DQ love from game developers.

Also I played Monster Joker 2 when it came out. What really hooked me were the big monsters. When I found out monsters can be bigger than one tile and were ****ing massive and awesomely detailed, I had to get it. Canzar still being my favorite Slime design. Can't forget Sagittar either. Both of these just scream menace and charm at the same time.

Craving a Monster Joker Switch if that ever becomes a thing. More behemoths would be incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Okay , now im convinced

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bta15lBFa00/

This guy is from HAL Laboratory
He called the ERDRICK shield "The Brave Shield"
Indeed. The Yūsha no tate. Normally localized as Hero's Shield.

Aka. Erdrick's Shield before Erdrick was called Erdrick.

But this does show that Japanese developers don't necessarily know how to translate yūsha.

Considering DQIII is the most popular DQ in Japan
I'm pretty sure DQ5 is the most popular DQ in Japan. The romance choice in that game is like a pop culture touchstone in Japan. Bianca is considered more of a mascot character for the series than Erdrick is.

However, as she's not a main character, it's unlikely she'd be chosen for Smash.

Last edited:

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
You know what would be funny? If DQ's rep was a Slime or a Slime knight. We also can't rule out other characters like the hero from one and two or someone from Eleven.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure DQ5 is the most popular DQ in Japan. The romance choice in that game is like a pop culture touchstone in Japan. Bianca is considered more of a mascot character for the series than Erdrick is.

However, as she's not a main character, it's unlikely she'd be chosen for Smash.
That's debatable. DQV is definitely one of the most popular and well-known, and it's Yuji Horii's personal favourite (and mine too), but DQIII has sold more and usually ranks higher on those best-games-of-all-time polls. Actually, I'd say that DQIV is probably more beloved than DQV too.

DQV is still a big deal, though, for sure. There's a reason Yoshihiko wears a Madason costume.

Bianca's popular enough to be one of the regulars who shows up in most crossovers, but she's not in the top tier of fan favourites like Terry, Alena, Torneko or Jessica. She was left out of Heroes II, and she's not one of the playable characters in Rivals.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You know what would be funny? If DQ's rep was a Slime or a Slime knight. We also can't rule out other characters like the hero from one and two or someone from Eleven.
I dunno about Two's chances, as he's the one DQ protag that's a pure fighter. Which basically makes him another Marth.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I think it's a good idea to all Dragon Quest fans, go to Shinya's post https://www.instagram.com/p/Bta15lBFa00/ and say nice things about the series, as there lots of probably Sora/Geno supporters been toxic on the comments. Maybe they can down Erdricks chance with this attacks, I don't know. (Don't know if they can change the characters lineup at this point) So I already did my part. Just talk about the series, don't mention the leaks, don't reply or get in fight with those guys, just show that are plenty more people how like DQ then Erdricks haters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think it's a good idea to all Dragon Quest fans, go to Shinya's post http://www.instagram.com/p/Bta15IBFa00/ and say nice things about the series, as there lots of probably Sora/Geno supporters been toxic on the comments. Maybe they can down Erdricks chance with this attacks, I don't know. (Don't know if they can change the characters lineup at this point) So I already did my part. Just talk about the series, don't mention the leaks, don't reply or get in fight with those guys, just show that are plenty more people how like DQ then Erdricks haters.
The characters have already been decided. Think about how long Joker's trailer probably took to make (animation takes a long time), it shows that they were decided a while back and I find it highly unlikely any planning at least would be scrapped this far in.
Essentially, to my understanding this is a Schrodinger's cat situation. It's already decided, we just don't know

D

Deleted member

I think it's a good idea to all Dragon Quest fans, go to Shinya's post http://www.instagram.com/p/Bta15IBFa00/ and say nice things about the series, as there lots of probably Sora/Geno supporters been toxic on the comments. Maybe they can down Erdricks chance with this attacks, I don't know. (Don't know if they can change the characters lineup at this point) So I already did my part. Just talk about the series, don't mention the leaks, don't reply or get in fight with those guys, just show that are plenty more people how like DQ then Erdricks haters.
If Erdrick has already been selected, there's nothing anyone can do really.

Lets try to avoid making an unrelated IG account into a smash fanbase battleground. This will only make the guy angry and close his comment section.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman

Lets try to avoid making an unrelated IG account into a smash fanbase battleground. This will only make the guy angry and close his comment section.
That's why I said to just talk about the series, don't mixing Smash in. It also would help to suffocate any Smashwar in the comments.

D

Deleted member

That's why I said to just talk about the series, don't mixing Smash in. It also would help to suffocate any Smashwar in the comments.
Ah ok. Dunno why people just dont keep that stuff on forums...

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
It has nothing to do with Smash. It is not a hint. Please do not pester the poor guy.

This is the man who directed Planet Robobot; he's already given us the greatest gift there is.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Ah ok. Dunno why people just dont keep that stuff on forums...
I don't know too. I'm the guy who watch everything silence in those things and I'm recently living paranoic with all that ****storm the Sora/Geno supporters are doing in the Twitter against Erdrick. I love DQ and was living a dream with that high possibility of a DQ representation on Smash. But the fear of it been scrapped by those guys rants is destroying me. And lot's of DQ fans don't help too getting in fights with those guys and making Minecraft-tier memes of it. Those things should been keep in forums.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I've only played Dragon Quest VIII (8) for the PS2.
Don't know the consensus on the quality, but I thought it was fun as a kid, but that's all I played with the series.
I was a huge DBZ fan, and when I got DQ it was one of these random games my dad got me, as he used to do when I was young.
Think I actually asked him for a Dragon Ball game, but he got me Dragon Quest, close enough.

I just wanted to pop inn and say, that I respect Dragon Quest for it's legacy, and I would not mind if Erdrick became playable, I would actually enjoy it.
He is not my top 5, but I support the inclusion of DQ in Smash.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

I thought the comment section was disabled. Now that I looked again... Oh boy... Por guy.

Can't a developer just show what he/she likes without people turning it into a Smash sign? Or at least not post about it?

I mean, I'm excited how closely related this comes... But that's it. Just dropped to give a like, and left.

D

Deleted member

I've only played Dragon Quest VIII (8) for the PS2.
Don't know the consensus on the quality, but I thought it was fun as a kid, but that's all I played with the series.
I was a huge DBZ fan, and when I got DQ it was one of these random games my dad got me, as he used to do when I was young.
Think I actually asked him for a Dragon Ball game, but he got me Dragon Quest, close enough.

I just wanted to pop inn and say, that I respect Dragon Quest for it's legacy, and I would not mind if Erdrick became playable, I would actually enjoy it.
He is not my top 5, but I support the inclusion of DQ in Smash.
DQ8 is awesome, been a while since I myself have played it though. If you ever get the time, I highly recommend playing DQ1 and 3 in that order. Pretty simple games by modern standards but still enjoyable.
I thought the comment section was disabled. Now that I looked again... Oh boy... Por guy.

Can't a developer just show what he/she likes without people turning it into a Smash sign? Or at least not post about it?

I mean, I'm excited how closely related this comes... But that's it. Just dropped to give a like, and left.
This is exactly why Sakurai rarely posts on Twitter, because people think that literally everything is a hint when he just talks about games he enjoys.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wouldn't recommend any old rpgs to people, but that's just because most people are used to there being a lot more going in them nowadays.
Altho, this is an a DQ thread, so I guess there can be fans of the classics.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I'd have trouble recommending the original versions of the older Dragon Quests, but the games themselves are fine as long as you understand what you're in for. Just pick up a newer version that's had the jank ironed out. There's never really been a bad remake of a DQ game, aside from those awful 3DS/PS4 versions of the original trilogy that were never localized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom