• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Generally, the appeal of playing Dragon Quest I and II is to see the birth of a genre. I'd only really recommend them to something interested in gaming history or RPGs. III and VIII are better starting point, in my opinion.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Generally, the appeal of playing Dragon Quest I and II is to see the birth of a genre. I'd only really recommend them to something interested in gaming history or RPGs. III and VIII are better starting point, in my opinion.
IV, V, and XI are great starting points too.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
What victory themes would be good for Erdrick? I love the "character joins the party" theme and it would be great.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I hadn't actually considered the party-member-joining jingle, but it could work for sure. I'm not sure how well it'd survive the Ultimate Victory Theme Trim-Down, though. Some other options:

1. The victory tone, followed by the level-up jingle shortly after, with Erdrick reacting to it. Maybe a stats window could open up?

2. If DQ was cut the same slack as FF, I wouldn't mind if they just copied what the Heroes games do: the victory tone, followed by Traveling With Friends looping forever.

3. The one I think is most likely, just a snippet of the overture. Somethin' like this, maybe with the victory tone stapled on the end.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
What victory themes would be good for Erdrick? I love the "character joins the party" theme and it would be great.

This is a good one actually. Hadn't thought about it.

I suggested this one back in my thread.
It's a simple cut from the iconic DQ Theme of course.
https://youtu.be/petPSLhAX
(Forgot how to embed)

Last edited:

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Quick question!

Are you guys only wanting Fedrick just because Vergeben leaked him as a DLC character (Because that's extremely dumb if you ask me)????

I'm really not looking forward to having another Marth clone in the game and it's better to not waste a few dollars on something that lack's anything resembling pure/raw originality!!!!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Quick question!

Are you guys only wanting Fedrick just because Vergeben leaked him as a DLC character (Because that's extremely dumb if you ask me)????

I'm really not looking forward to having another Marth clone in the game and it's better to not waste a few dollars on something that lack's anything resembling pure/raw originality!!!!!
Remember to ignore this guy. Its just a troll.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
So I found out something strange: I had finished my replay of Dragon Quest V on the DS a few weeks ago, meaning I now needed to play Dragon Quest VI for the first time. I looked online for any affordable DS copies and all the North American ones were extremely expensive, like up to $90, unless you wanted the DS cart only (I didn't).

But then...I found some PAL copies, and they cost WAY less. Turns out, some retailers ordered a huge surplus back in the day and now lots of copies nobody bought are circulating around. The cover art is different, and it has a different name (Realms of Reverie, not Realms of Revelation like in North America), but is otherwise exactly the same game as the North American version.

Since the DS is region free, this is the first import game I've ever bought that isn't Japanese (I got a physical copy of For the Frog the Bell Tolls that I can't understand). Pretty neat. Also I didn't have to pay any shipping so yayyy~

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
This is the thing of most Erdrick's critics, they didn't know anything about the character, franchise or the spells/skills that could be implemented in his move set and looks just for the sword.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Ramia!

Erdrick 27.png

Yeah, the Godbird Ramia, the original heroic bird-steed (get outta here, loftwing). Not just Erdrick's sweet ride in DQIII and probably what his emblem is supposed to look like (I said scoot, loftwing), she also shows up in DQVIII and the Heroes games with a new name, Empyrea, and a purple paint job. She explicitly has the power to cross dimensions, so... y'know, she'd probably carry Erdrick to a crossover like Smash Bros.

So I'm talkin' reveal cinematic if Erdrick gets one, I'm talkin' entrance animation, and I might even be talkin' Final Smash. Even a plain-Jane Final Smash concept like Gigaslash could be interesting if he was doing it from the back of a phoenix. The only issue is, would they use the Ramia design from DQIII, or the Empyrea design from... everything other than DQIII?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Quick question!

Just because a character has supporters doesn’t mean they only support the character cause of “leaks”. It’s best not to assume these things. In addition, while you are free to have an opinion, your post is overly negative and aggressive. Why couldn’t you just put “Do you guys support Erdrick cause of the leaks or do you support him for his merits?” The entire spiel about it being a “waste of money” is not welcomed here. Don’t knock on something before you see it or you will live a life of disappointments.

I’ll allow the question you asked to stand but it’s your responsibility to reply in a positive and productive manner.

Last edited:

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Nope. He's been in my Top 5 since Ultimate was announced.
Is there a single reason why you have to have him so freaking badly in the game (I really don't get as to why people are begging for even more stupid anime Swordsmen when we are already have the sticking Fire Emblem characters for that in Ultimate for heaven's sake)??????

You could just paly as Marth and Simon Belmont if you want to play as Fedrick (And not waste a ton of dollars on a lousy Devianart Fire Emblem fan drawing clone)!!!!!!

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
To be fair, I completely agree with this guy that a lot of times, people only start requesting certain characters when they show up in leaks, because they're more interested in being able to "I called it!" than they are requesting characters they actually want.

Like, Isaac and Chorus Kids would be no where near as requested as they are if they didn't keep showing up in leaks. And support for Erdrick did absolutely explode when that brave datamine came out.

It just happens to not be the case for me and Erdrick. I ACTUALLY want Erdrick, so the fact that he's getting all this attention all of a sudden is very pleasant for me.

Last edited:

Adol Christin

Smash Cadet
Same here.
I just want Erdrick, just like I wanted Simon Belmont to be in.
I like this game serie so much.

Dragon Quest is the father of all J-RPG, it's highly historicaly related to Nintendo, Erdrick (or Roto in japanese) is the legendary hero of the most popular episode in Japan: Dragon Quest III, where kids were skipping classes in order to buy and play the game at home.
Enix also decided to never release a Dragon Quest again on a week day in order to avoid to be held accountable for truancy at school or work.
Dragon Quest III, and the whole saga is more than a game serie, it's a phenomenon in Japan just as big as Star Wars is in the US.
In the end, it's just incredible that we had to wait almost 20 years to think about Dragon Quest included in Smash. It should have be done way sooner, exactely like Megaman or Cloud did.

Erdrick is more than a swordman, he has a lot of spells, like "Raiden" and "Gigaden", which are lightning bolt's spell, but also "Mera", "Merami", "merazoma" which are fire spell, or even bagi which are wind spells. He also master a lot of swords skills, so he can be really interesting to play, a bit like a Marth fused with Robin.

So, leak or not, Dragon Quest has to be in Smash since it's supposed to be the greatest videogame crossover ever made.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, I completely agree with this guy that a lot of times, people only start requesting certain characters when they show up in leaks, because they're more interested in being able to "I called it!" than they are requesting characters they actually want.

Like, Isaac and Chorus Kids would be no where near as requested as they are if they didn't keep showing up in leaks. And support for Erdrick did absolutely explode when that brave datamine came out.

It just happens to not be the case for me and Erdrick. I ACTUALLY want Erdrick, so the fact that he's getting all this attention all of a sudden is very pleasant for me.
Really? Who gives a **** about speculation enough to care about going "Called it!" I don't doubt you've seen that behavior before, but it tells me that some people need new hobbies.

Though, supporting a character in a leak usually boils down to if they're cool or not. If we expect to see them, we might as well see what they're worth, and people end up finding their worth within their movesets if nothing else. If the surprise factor isn't there anymore, what else is to fall back on but curiosity?

Same here.
I just want Erdrick, just like I wanted Simon Belmont to be in.
I like this game serie so much.

Dragon Quest is the father of all J-RPG, it's highly historicaly related to Nintendo, Erdrick (or Roto in japanese) is the legendary hero of the most popular episode in Japan: Dragon Quest III, where kids were skipping classes in order to buy and play the game at home.
Enix also decided to never release a Dragon Quest again on a week day in order to avoid to be held accountable for truancy at school or work.
Dragon Quest III, and the whole saga is more than a game serie, it's a phenomenon in Japan just as big as Star Wars is in the US.
In the end, it's just incredible that we had to wait almost 20 years to think about Dragon Quest included in Smash. It should have be done way sooner, exactely like Megaman or Cloud did.

Erdrick is more than a swordman, he has a lot of spells, like "Raiden" and "Gigaden", which are lightning bolt's spell, but also "Mera", "Merami", "merazoma" which are fire spell, or even bagi which are wind spells. He also master a lot of swords skills, so he can be really interesting to play, a bit like a Marth fused with Robin.

So, leak or not, Dragon Quest has to be in Smash since it's supposed to be the greatest videogame crossover ever made.
I always thought Dragon Quest was too obscure to ever think about it getting into Smash. Then I find out that it's apparently one of Japan's cultural milestones in entertainment and suddenly he has a chance. Crazy. Leak or not though, who gets into Smash was decided way before it was revealed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calane

Smash Ace

I too genuinely want Erdrick in Smash. Dragon Quest is my favorite JRPG series, and one of my favorite video game franchises in general.

I've loved it for quite a while, but regarding Smash, it's always been a "that'd never happen despite how cool it'd be" kind of deal for me. A pipe dream, essentially. To think that it's actually a real possibility makes me all kinds of giddy. For me, all the leaks really did was give me hope that DQ has a shot.

The fact that Erdrick is the DQ character rumored makes me even more happy since I feel that he represents the series best. Needless to say, it'd be amazing to see this wonderful series take its rightful spot amongst the rest of gaming's most legendary franchises.

Basically, I love Dragon Quest...a lot. I would be overjoyed to see Erdrick join the battle.

Edit: I almost forgot to make this post a reply to you, lol.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm not afraid to admit I'm somewhat of a new fan. I became a diehard fan of the series in 2015. I had only played DQ8 back when it first came out. I knew there was something special about the series, so over the years I gave the first ones a chance. It wasn't until I played DQ3 for the second time (on SNES) that my love for the series oficcially began.

So for it to be Erdrick, if he were revealed to he the character, would actually be both fitting for his Legendary status, and heartwarming because it was HIS/HER game, that Made me the fan I am today.

I honsestly always believed a Square Enix character would be either Chocobo+Slime a'la Duck Hunt , or Crono (since he was a creation of both Square and Enix). So once Cloud was revealed, first thing I thought? Awesome! Now for some Enix!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So I'm getting weird Isaac vibes from all that we know so far.

The leaks, the datamine, and the Instagram pic all point in the same direction.

But it still doesn't feel like a true thing.

Sure, Isaac was far less palpable than Erdrick's case. And all the hype and certainty came from "This is a hint. And this is the item. And here's pic", all of which turned out to be people (myself as well) looking for meaning where there was none.

On the other hand, the only scenarios where I don't see a DQ character happening is if:

a) Yuji Horii drops the Ball.
b) Sakurai passes, for not feeling worthy of handling a series so dear to Japan :p

There's also the possibility of Nintendo not wanting DQ, but that's far less likely, as they publish DQ games, it's in their best interest.

D

Deleted member

Sure, Isaac was far less palpable than Erdrick's case. And all the hype and certainty came from "This is a hint. And this is the item. And here's pic", all of which turned out to be people (myself as well) looking for meaning where there was none.

On the other hand, the only scenarios where I don't see a DQ character happening is if:

b) Sakurai passes, for not feeling worthy of handling a series so dear to Japan :p

There's also the possibility of Nintendo not wanting DQ, but that's far less likely, as they publish DQ games, it's in their best interest.
Honestly, the biggest thing leaning toward Isaac was the supposed Growth Psynergy thing (which I believed in). That could have been interpreted as ambiguous, though, because some force field surrounded the plant. Nothing about the info we have so far can be misinterpreted as long as we don't make reckless assumptions.

I don't wanna stir the pot, but I'm fairly interested to see what will happen.

D

Deleted member

Anything can happen I'm afraid, for me the only reliable thing so far has been Tansut and even then he might be wrong. Isaac situation issue was that a lot of the fans started seeing "signs" when there was nothing concrete, feel that even if fake the situation hasn't been as widespread as speculation over Isaac.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Anything can happen I'm afraid, for me the only reliable thing so far has been Tansut and even then he might be wrong. Isaac situation issue was that a lot of the fans started seeing "signs" when there was nothing concrete, feel that even if fake the situation hasn't been as widespread as speculation over Isaac.
To be fair, so many people believed the grinch leak because it was hard to disprove, and the growth-like item really looked like it could've been a slip up, and it was in an official video. It just pointed so well to isaac with everything, and almost only vergeben talked against it, lots of supposed leakers actually said isaac was in.

So I dont feel like this compares to that, especially with the number of people having voted for isaac. In this case, I haven't seen a lot of DQ votes around. The sample we had of japan was really small tho, and I bet there were DQ requests for sure.

Im glad there's been a few things about erdrick, but it's hard for me to put too much stock into it. I really hope it's true :)

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Erdrick isn't going to be voiced by an American. Even the Americans in Dragon Quest aren't voiced by Americans.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
No, it would be like Robin, Corrin and Wii Fit Trainer. We'd have both genders. Of course she would just play the female version. And yeah as some are saying it might be Edelgard, or might not be Smash related at all. Also Shantae but I kind of doubt that one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And why do people automatically assume it's Smash? She could be voicing literally anyone, she has a ton of roles. Or it could just be something completely new and upcoming.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
1. The victory tone, followed by the level-up jingle shortly after, with Erdrick reacting to it. Maybe a stats window could open up?
I actually love this idea! I'm surprised that they haven't done this with any other RPG character. It would be perfect for Erdrick given DQ's incredible influence on the genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom