• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If Dragon Quest is ever going to stray from turn based fighting, it'll have to have confidence in itself and trust that it knows what it's doing regardless of any potential negative reception.
OR, they could just never stray from turn based fighting, because it's not what pretty much ANY fan of the franchise wants.

The Final Fantasy franchise has already turned into a garbage character action franchise. Dragon Quest doesn't need to follow suit.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I still think the most ideal look for Erdrick would be how he looked in Battle Road Victory. It just oozes badassery; the way he rides on Ramia, how he wields his sword and uses Gigaslash, it's just about one of the coolest things shown in that game and it would be great if he looked just like that in Smash.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
(As for the mangas of DQ, I can't recommend Dai no Daibouken enough. It is probably one of the best Shonen manga I have read. Its a bit straightforward storywise but its superbly executed with great characters)
Okay, I'll check it ou...THREE HUNDRED AND FOURTY-NINE CHAPTERS?!

D

Deleted member

Okay, I'll check it ou...THREE HUNDRED AND FOURTY-NINE CHAPTERS?!
It's quite long with 37 volumes, the anime only covers about 10 and the last episode deviates from the Manga quite a bit. It maintains its quality all through the end unlike a few other manga I have read and surprisingly avoids one of the most common issues with other series.
Namely that most of the main and side characters remain relatively useful during the story.

Last edited by a moderator:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If they were to remake the older games, I'd like to see some deviation from the standard turn based format and experiment. Like, how about DQ1 as an open world action RPG?
I think the question that people keep asking the DQ staff every stream has to be "Do you plan on experimenting with action RPG genre".

And I have to agree with the devs that they should keep it that way.

Spinoffs, a whole different story. I'm all for action DQ games such as Heroes or heck, DQ Swords turned into a parallel series would be great! Or maybe a new one which goes more into hack & slash territory.

There's so much they could do. But it seems to me that the DQ team is rather small... Or maybe it seems that way to me because we don't get every single thing they pump out. :(

But I hope they never change the main series formula. DQ is a series I play to relax. And if this day and age can have Pokemon and Golden sun would be welcomed back, then DQ can keep being turn based.

Dang, I rambled.

Calane

Smash Ace
Yeah, I gotta say that I don't want DQ to ever stray away from turn based combat.

If they were to ever go the real-time combat route, I think the best choice would be to make it some sort of spin-off series. Sort of like how the "Dragon Quest Monsters" series coexists with the normal main series games.

I still think the most ideal look for Erdrick would be how he looked in Battle Road Victory. It just oozes badassery; the way he rides on Ramia, how he wields his sword and uses Gigaslash, it's just about one of the coolest things shown in that game and it would be great if he looked just like that in Smash.

Yeah, his design does look pretty cool in that game.

Erdrick.JPG

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh wow. This is pretty cool artwork! It's definitely a fake image leak for the lolz, but how would you all feel if this was the Erdrick we got? Personally, I love this design. I know there are a lot of female Erdrick fans, but this fits naturally and I think the style works with what DQ 3 originally might have been. Really well made.

The fan-render looks dope, indeed.

BTW, I will post here instead of in the Ultimate thread for a while.
I feel like this one will be the better option for me during these days.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Erdrick's Final Smash turning out pretty much like that would be a safe bet. A lot of the super moves in the Heroes games were taken straight from Battle Road Victory, although they're shortened and simplified.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It feels like he's trying to make him look LESS Goku over time.

If they were to ever go the real-time combat route, I think the best choice would be to make it some sort of spin-off series. Sort of like how the "Dragon Quest Monsters" series coexists with the normal main series games.
I just want one DQ game where "EVERYMONSTER IS HERE!"

The early Monsters games were basically that. But I don't think that's happened yet in the 3D model era.

BTW, I will post here instead of in the Ultimate thread for a while.
I feel like this one will be the better option for me during these days.
Wait, this is an Ultimate thread isn't it? It's under Ultimate Character Discussion.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
When Erdrick appears in DQXI's true ending, it's definitely a normally-proportioned, brown-haired version of him. Knowing who Sleepyhead is supposed to be is kind of important to that sequence making any sense at all (I know a lot of new players thought it was a tease for DQXII or something), so a non-chibi Erdrick would fit better with that. Plus there's also Erdwin, who's obviously based on regular-size Erdrick. I'd be shocked if one of Smash Erdrick's palettes wasn't Erdwin.

I don't think he'll end up as tall and beefy as the SNES design, though. Toriyama's art style just isn't like that anymore.

D

Deleted member

By the way, the lastest drawing of Roto/Erdrick by Akira Toriyama.

If Erdrick makes his way to the game, it should be not that far away from this design:

https://www.noelshack.com/2019-06-4-1549552238-20180916-180235.jpg

It's from the Dragon Quest Art Book, avaible here:
https://www.archonia.us/en-us/produ...trations-art-book-30th-anniversary-edition-hc
Huh. That was released a month ago. If Simon's artist drew his Smash design a couple months before reveal, I wonder if this should be used as circumstantial evidence.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Huh. That was released a month ago. If Simon's artist drew his Smash design a couple months before reveal, I wonder if this should be used as circumstantial evidence.
It's not a hint. The artbook's original Japanese release was in 2017, and I think that particular drawing is from earlier than that.

The hero group shot on the cover was definitely done for the book, and it's probably the most recent take on Erdrick that we have. I think it hits a nice compromise between cute NES chibi Erdrick and SNES Mystic Gohan.

Last edited:

Adol Christin

Smash Cadet
Nah, like Rumble Red just said, the book was released in 2017 in Japan, and the drawing is a bit older too (around 5 years) but it's a good insign of what Erdrick should probably be like in Smash Ultimate.

By the way, some of you were talking about real time fight for Dragon Quest a bit earlier (TheYungLink and DarthEnderX I believe). Well, early demo of Dragon Quest IX for DS did displayed some Real Time Fight instead of turn based battle. But it definitly led to some protest in Japan, so the developpers went back to turn based battle system.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
iirc I think Sakurai only defended DQ10's decision to be an MMO. I don't recall him saying anything about DQ9.

I like turn based RPGs more than action-y ones myself. The big strength for me is that I can have fun strategizing without needing quick reflexes or anything like that. Given that RPGs are the most popular genre of game in Japan, I assume it helps for people of all ages that don't want to put the time into having to learn to have good hand eye coordination like most games ask.

On the other hand, I think you can turn Dragon Quest into an action game while still making the combat user friendly and manageable for people like I described. I'm confident that the company can pull it off, all it needs is some confidence.
The fans like the main series so much because it sticks to the traditional genre. I agree with the idea of creating more spin-offs that can have action, and I'd play them. If they turn the main series into an action one, who's going to hold the fort for turn-based rpgs?
It's light and easy to get into with time to think, and I like that. I also like action-rpgs tho.

OR, they could just never stray from turn based fighting, because it's not what pretty much ANY fan of the franchise wants.

The Final Fantasy franchise has already turned into a garbage character action franchise. Dragon Quest doesn't need to follow suit.
Ok, so I guess you dont like FF. But it's a great franchise for a lot of people. I really like it, and I like that they try to make things novel and even experiment. I mean, they're pretty much known for that now, and I look forward to what they'll do next.
For FF, I wouldn't mind if they did the other way around and released some more spin-offs that are tradtional turn-based ones. If they do them well tho, not just low quality stuff.

I think the question that people keep asking the DQ staff every stream has to be "Do you plan on experimenting with action RPG genre".

And I have to agree with the devs that they should keep it that way.

Spinoffs, a whole different story. I'm all for action DQ games such as Heroes or heck, DQ Swords turned into a parallel series would be great! Or maybe a new one which goes more into hack & slash territory.

There's so much they could do. But it seems to me that the DQ team is rather small... Or maybe it seems that way to me because we don't get every single thing they pump out. :(

But I hope they never change the main series formula. DQ is a series I play to relax. And if this day and age can have Pokemon and Golden sun would be welcomed back, then DQ can keep being turn based.

Dang, I rambled.
I guess we think about the same on that. I think they can keep upgrading the same formula and just make it really good for what it is. I hope they innovate a bit more than pokemon. Well, pokemon could innovate a lot more too.

By the way, the lastest drawing of Roto/Erdrick by Akira Toriyama.

If Erdrick makes his way to the game, it should be not that far away from this design:

https://www.noelshack.com/2019-06-4-1549552238-20180916-180235.jpg

It's from the Dragon Quest Art Book, avaible here:
https://www.archonia.us/en-us/produ...trations-art-book-30th-anniversary-edition-hc
Whatt. I mean, that's possible, but sakurai used the classic megaman, classic belmonts, and just revamped their old design. Not saying that's what'll happen with DQ, there's a lot of possibilities, but I dont think they'd use those new designs because most people havent seen them. Hopefully we'll get to find out :)

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Ok, so I guess you dont like FF. But it's a great franchise for a lot of people. I really like it, and I like that they try to make things novel and even experiment. I mean, they're pretty much known for that now, and I look forward to what they'll do next.
For FF, I wouldn't mind if they did the other way around and released some more spin-offs that are tradtional turn-based ones. If they do them well tho, not just low quality stuff.
There was a time when it was my FAVORITE franchise in all of video games.

But pretty much since Nomura took over the franchise, with a few exceptions, I've liked each game less and less as the franchise has gotten further and further away from what was great about it in the first place.

Nowadays, the franchise isn't even the same GENRE of video game as it used to be. And the only series that really plays the way I want FF to play is the Bravely Default series. Unfortunately, that series has mediocre writing, an art style I don't care for at all, and extremely repetitive content due to not having the budget of bigger titles.

It's not a hint. The artbook's original Japanese release was in 2017, and I think that particular drawing is from earlier than that.
One thing to keep in mind though.

Remember how Konami had been using Simon's Chronicles design for years until suddenly, about a year before Smash U came out, they suddenly switched his design over to one that looks exactly like how he ended up looking in Smash?

It's obvious that Konami knew he was going to be in the game years before, and more importantly, knew exactly what design Sakurai was going to end up using. So they changed all of Simon's promotional art to match the Smash one because they knew that, suddenly, a whole lot of new people would suddenly be caring about Simon.

I'm not saying anything like that is happening here, but it's possible the deal to put Erdrick in Smash has been finalized for years, SquareEnix has known what his Smash appearance is going to look like, and they're making sure all of Erdrick's appearances match that look.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There was a time when it was my FAVORITE franchise in all of video games.

But pretty much since Nomura took over the franchise, with a few exceptions, I've liked each game less and less as the franchise has gotten further and further away from what was great about it in the first place.

Nowadays, the franchise isn't even the same GENRE of video game as it used to be. And the only series that really plays the way I want FF to play is the Bravely Default series. Unfortunately, that series has mediocre writing, an art style I don't care for at all, and extremely repetitive content due to not having the budget of bigger titles.
I had to double-take there, I thought someone said the exact same thing as me lol.
I agree it's not really the same genre anymore, but I like it. I guess it kind of brings up the question of whether to innovate or stick with the good ol' stuff. The best would be to split into 2 branches of the series, but i mean, it's a bit too late for that in this case. I think the last FF was great, tho adding a female character to play would've made a world of difference for me. Anyway, they did do world of FF, which could be nice if they experiment in that direction.

And DQ has our backs for the classic itch :)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I had to double-take there, I thought someone said the exact same thing as me lol.
Ah, I messed up the quote.

I agree it's not really the same genre anymore, but I like it. I guess it kind of brings up the question of whether to innovate or stick with the good ol' stuff. The best would be to split into 2 branches of the series, but i mean, it's a bit too late for that in this case.
That's always been my thought.

If you're going to do something COMPLETELY different, just make a new series. Or at least, make it a spin-off series.

I actually find it infuriating that both FF and DQ's MMOs are core numbered games in their franchises...

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ah, I messed up the quote.

That's always been my thought.

If you're going to do something COMPLETELY different, just make a new series. Or at least, make it a spin-off series.

I actually find it infuriating that both FF and DQ's MMOs are core numbered games in their franchises...
Yeah me too. It's not hard to call something like FF Online (and DQ Online).
I guess it's using the main brandname to promote the mmo

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea of Final Fantasy as the weird, experimental series where you never know what you're gonna get, and Dragon Quest as the reliable and consistent one. I wish Square Enix would actually market them side by side like that.

It's hard to say I'm a Final Fantasy fan anymore since the games hardly even have staff in common these days, but I'm happy to take them as they come. I just played through the XIII trilogy, actually, and even though they're not much good, they're certainly interesting. It was fun to see them get more ambitious and experimental as the budget plummeted between each entry.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like the idea of Final Fantasy as the weird, experimental series where you never know what you're gonna get, and Dragon Quest as the reliable and consistent one. I wish Square Enix would actually market them side by side like that.

It's hard to say I'm a Final Fantasy fan anymore since the games hardly even have staff in common anymore, but I'm happy to take them as they come. I just played through the XIII trilogy, actually, and even though they're not much good, they're certainly interesting. It was fun to see them get more ambitious and experimental as the budget plummeted between each entry.
I absolutely love FF, but I really hope the next game is a return to form. FFXIII had so much potential to be great but is just one of the most absolutely boring and frustrating games I've ever played (never tried the rest of the trilogy), and FFXV was a straight up disaster.
I think the problem is that they want every new game to be the next FFVII without understanding what made FFVII great.
But that's part of what's great about Dragon Quest. When one franchise is tripping over themselves constantly for the sake of trying to innovate it's always nice to be able to just..
go back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I absolutely love FF, but I really hope the next game is a return to form. FFXIII had so much potential to be great but is just one of the most absolutely boring and frustrating games I've ever played (never tried the rest of the trilogy), and FFXV was a straight up disaster.
I think the problem is that they want every new game to be the next FFVII without understanding what made FFVII great.
But that's part of what's great about Dragon Quest. When one franchise is tripping over themselves constantly for the sake of trying to innovate it's always nice to be able to just..
go back.
I wouldn't call any game getting 80% rating or higher a disaster. There's lots of people who love the new final fantasy games. There's lots of things I like about them, including the new stuff they're trying. In any case it's definitely not the novelty that makes some things bad about them. For ff15, It's that they could've told the story better, could've put more stuff in the open world, and actually 'completed' it without having to rely on dlc. and a few tweeks to combat, among some things.

As for DQ, there's things they could improve a lot too even with sticking to classic stuff. Like the music, for one. Music doesn't define my gaming experience, but it does add a lot when it's really good.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I think people mistook my post last night as saying that Square Enix was obviously right in their initial decision to make DQ9 an action-RPG. I was only alluding to a certain characteristic the series has compared to Final Fantasy. Which is that Dragon Quest is more lovingly literal than most RPGs.

Zoom and Chimera Wings don't work indoors unless there's an outside section or the roof is open, for example. Dragon Quest 1 went to the trouble of having the hero carry the princess in their arms physically back to the castle, as well. The whole tragic ending of DQ3 comes from the villain sealing the opening to their world, so Zoom no longer works. In DQ5, when you marry your wife, the priest asks "And do you pledge to love your partner, in life and as they're resurrected in the church" as a playful callback on how party members die all the time and they only permanently die due to other methods. All of your party members physically follow behind you, instead of always being represented by one sprite like other RPGs did back then. And so on and so forth.

Final Fantasy, by contrast, seems to purposefully make lots of things metaphorical. Single characters on the map represent entire parties. Lots of magic spells that could kill or seriously paralyze enemies merely do lots of damage. Final Fantasy characters do lots of crazy acrobatics but only during battle, in the story they have trouble jumping over buildings or breaking down doors. Nonetheless there's a sense that it doesn't really matter and it's all there to make battling look cooler while there's a clear distinction between battling and the overworld stuff.

So, from SE's perspective, making the combat literal makes as much sense as making funny physical boundaries to the teleporting and party members. Given their track record in terms of how they made things literal so far, I think they could have figured out a user friendly way to make the combat live instead of turn based without making it hard or needlessly confusing to handle like most other action RPGs.

But, like the rest of you, I prefer turn-based combat anyway. So for right now I'm all good when it comes to DQ's battle system. Nonetheless, I hope I made my point more clear this time.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't call any game getting 80% rating or higher a disaster. There's lots of people who love the new final fantasy games. There's lots of things I like about them, including the new stuff they're trying. In any case it's definitely not the novelty that makes some things bad about them. For ff15, It's that they could've told the story better, could've put more stuff in the open world, and actually 'completed' it without having to rely on dlc. and a few tweeks to combat, among some things.

As for DQ, there's things they could improve a lot too even with sticking to classic stuff. Like the music, for one. Music doesn't define my gaming experience, but it does add a lot when it's really good.
I meant disaster from a development standpoint. It took 10 years to come out, and at that point it still didn't tell the full story.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I meant disaster from a development standpoint. It took 10 years to come out, and at that point it still didn't tell the full story.
Well, big undertakings can run into challenges. It sounds like they didn't dedicate a lot of resources at first, with it going to be a spin-off. And back when they started it was pretty advanced and maybe they were in over their heads, dunno. They probably had to change a lot of stuff after everything, and it taking a long time. Well, I don't really know the actual details, but I think it was still pretty impressive of a game. Hopefully they learned some good lessons and will do better next.

DQ on the other hand hasn't tried to push too much, and that's good cuz it's less risky, but also doesn't have the same kind of hype or whatever.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Whatt. I mean, that's possible, but sakurai used the classic megaman, classic belmonts, and just revamped their old design. Not saying that's what'll happen with DQ, there's a lot of possibilities, but I dont think they'd use those new designs because most people havent seen them. Hopefully we'll get to find out :)
Remember that this is the same guy who turned Pit from this:
image.png

to this:

Sakurai may harken back to how characters looked in their original appearances from time to time, but there are also many instances where he'll straight-up change a character's design and proportions to make them more Smash-friendly.

Also, chibi Erdrick would only be familiar/nostalgic for the 1988 Japanese audience. That design has never seen official usage overseas, whereas the realistically-proportioned Erdrick has always appeared in rereleases and ports worldwide.

And it's not like the two designs are radical departures from each other anyway, unlike red-haired Simon and barbarian Simon.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Remember that this is the same guy who turned Pit from this:
View attachment 190814

to this:

Sakurai may harken back to how characters looked in their original appearances from time to time, but there are also many instances where he'll straight-up change a character's design and proportions to make them more Smash-friendly.

Also, chibi Erdrick would only be familiar/nostalgic for the 1988 Japanese audience. That design has never seen official usage overseas, whereas the realistically-proportioned Erdrick has always appeared in rereleases and ports worldwide.

And it's not like the two designs are radical departures from each other anyway, unlike red-haired Simon and barbarian Simon.
They both take retro stuff as well as reinvent some stuff. I just wanted to point out the retro part because someone brought up a more recent art design that nobody knows.
And personally I wasnt thinking of the chibi version, but the more popular one (like on the first post of this thread.). Not the most retro, but the most known.

Just possibilities out there.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
go back.
If there's one thing I'd want Final Fantasy to learn from Dragon Quest it's not sticking to its roots or turn-based combat or whatever, it's budget and time management. I think a modestly-budgeted (DQXI-level) FFXVI, released complete and on time and at least relatively good, would do a lot to restore people's confidence. Kind of a Mega Man 11 of Final Fantasy, I guess, like a cheaper proof of concept that they've got the basics down?

XIII-2 and Lightning Returns are both bad, but they're fascinating. If they weren't so long I'd say they're worth playing; it's quite a trip to watch the team reacting to criticism and trying to fix XIII's core problems with a fraction of the money, while the story gets steadily crazier and more unwieldy. Lightning Returns in particular has some genuine promise; if only it wasn't held down by the baggage of being an FFXIII sequel and the battle system being total balls, it could've been a fairly decent little RPG.

I still haven't played XV. I promised myself I'd wait until it was done, and, uh... I guess I can go ahead now, huh? I'm not opposed to a fun road trip with the lads. Could we get a DQ one of those, with Yangus, Sylvando and Kiefer?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If there's one thing I'd want Final Fantasy to learn from Dragon Quest it's not sticking to its roots or turn-based combat or whatever, it's budget and time management. I think a modestly-budgeted (DQXI-level) FFXVI, released complete and on time and at least relatively good, would do a lot to restore people's confidence. Kind of a Mega Man 11 of Final Fantasy, I guess, like a cheaper proof of concept that they've got the basics down?

XIII-2 and Lightning Returns are both bad, but they're fascinating. If they weren't so long I'd say they're worth playing; it's quite a trip to watch the team reacting to criticism and trying to fix XIII's core problems with a fraction of the money, while the story gets steadily crazier and more unwieldy. Lightning Returns in particular has some genuine promise; if only it wasn't held down by the baggage of being an FFXIII sequel and the battle system being total balls, it could've been a fairly decent little RPG.

I still haven't played XV. I promised myself I'd wait until it was done, and, uh... I guess I can go ahead now, huh? I'm not opposed to a fun road trip with the lads. Could we get a DQ one of those, with Yangus, Sylvando and Kiefer?
Sums up my feelings perfectly. The problem with FF games recrnyly is that they always get off track due to one thing or another, or too many resources being poured into one thing but not enough into another. They should just keep it tight and focused like you said.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's quite long with 37 volumes, the anime only covers about 10 and the last episode deviates from the Manga quite a bit. It maintains its quality all through the end unlike a few other manga I have read and surprisingly avoids one of the most common issues with other series.
Namely that most of the main and side characters remain relatively useful during the story.
Ironically enough, its writer ran into problems balancing a cast when he worked on Kyoryuger. Although granted that was during a time when Toei overcompensated for Go-Busters flopping in sales...

Regardless of anything, I hope they keep Motomu Toriyama far away from the franchise in the future. He's a complete hack director to the point that even Nomura does a better job of keeping you invested in a story.

That being said, it would be good for them to double down on saving resources for the FFVII remake, since KHIII is finally done now. A FFXVI can wait, they need to recoup losses.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ironically enough, its writer ran into problems balancing a cast when he worked on Kyoryuger. Although granted that was during a time when Toei overcompensated for Go-Busters flopping in sales...

Regardless of anything, I hope they keep Motomu Toriyama far away from the franchise in the future. He's a complete hack director to the point that even Nomura does a better job of keeping you invested in a story.

That being said, it would be good for them to double down on saving resources for the FFVII remake, since KHIII is finally done now. A FFXVI can wait, they need to recoup losses.
Motomu Toriyama, I feel like just let the "power" of directing a mainline FF game get to his head, and from what I can gather from the sequels it just feels like his own wish fulfillment (especially LR).
I did actually enjoy the hell out of FFXII Revenant Wings on the DS though, which he also directed.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Motomu Toriyama, I feel like just let the "power" of directing a mainline FF game get to his head, and from what I can gather from the sequels it just feels like his own wish fulfillment (especially LR).
I did actually enjoy the hell out of FFXII Revenant Wings on the DS though, which he also directed.
Speaking of XII, I did consider grabbing the recent HD release of that, since it includes the International content.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of XII, I did consider grabbing the recent HD release of that, since it includes the International content.
It's one of my favorite FF games, it's different from your standard fare FF in that it's not "anime" at all but it's still a really good departure. It feels more mature in a way, but not in an edgy way lol

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
FFXII is a solid game, or at least the HD version is. The setting and characters are charming, and I like the battle system more than I expected to. It stands on its own (as much as it can, in a setting that already had three games), but it still feels like an authentic Final Fantasy.

...and as a Dragon Quest fan it's hard to dislike a game with a whole race of bunny girls. Weird that Final Fantasy got to that one first.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
FFXII is a solid game, or at least the HD version is. The setting and characters are charming, and I like the battle system more than I expected to. It stands on its own (as much as it can, in a setting that already had three games), but it still feels like an authentic Final Fantasy.

...and as a Dragon Quest fan it's hard to dislike a game with a whole race of bunny girls. Weird that Final Fantasy got to that one first.
That was my first game I had to be mindful of when I played it as I wasn't sure I'd be able to convince my parents that I wasn't doing anything weird when she was on the screen.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I mean, do you really need a separate race of bunny girls when every town has a couple bunny girls already? And it's been a class since DQ3.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I mean, do you really need a separate race of bunny girls when every town has a couple bunny girls already? And it's been a class since DQ3.
Maybe not, but I'm sure someone on the DQX team was cursing under their breath that they had to come up with a bunch of MMO fantasy races and that wasn't an option.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Kyoryuger is pretty good, but King is basically a standalone star in a Super Sentai series. The only good point is that Daigo is a really well built and interesting mc that helps the cast to evolves even through stoling their thunder. The opposite of Ninninger's Takaharu that stoles his cousins thunder and revert any evolution point they would have.

Also as a Brazilian, even though don't caring for samba, it's funny to see the samba elements with dinosaurs.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Honestly, I think the main problem with modern Final Fantasy nowadays is that they overmilk the mainline entries with spinoffs and sequels.

Final Fantasy games prior to X were standalone entries, with development teams focusing singularly on each game before moving on to the next, making it easier to release entries close to each other.

When Square merged with Enix, Yoichi Wada (the new CEO) got the idea of exploiting the franchise name and shifting development from original games to focusing entirely on the franchise itself.

I don't think there's anything wrong with experimentation in of itself. Even the Dragon Quest series has done that to some extent (DQX, for example).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The Viera race (FF bunny girls) have been around since FFtactics advance. So, since 2003.
Also, Final Fantasy Chronicles is from 2003.
FF10-2 is from 2003 as well..

The merger was in 2003 too. So, they'd already been working on the spin-offs before it.

Anyway, nothing beats the cat girls (miqote race), even if there's plenty of those around already :p
DQ does have cat ears, i guess. :O

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom