• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Ironically enough, its writer ran into problems balancing a cast when he worked on Kyoryuger. Although granted that was during a time when Toei overcompensated for Go-Busters flopping in sales...
Dunno about Super Sentai, but in Dai no Daibouken the dreaded power levels that appear in most other manga don't go overboard with many characters ending up useless midway through the story like Dragon Ball. Possibly due to being based in an RPG party, only one or two end up kinda weak but just like a few volumes before the end. And is a series that in general doesn't go overboard with introducing loads and loads of characters.

D

Deleted member

Was this posted here yet?
I think someone posted it already. Glad that there are more picture "leaks", its more fun to speculate over those than text leaks or random twitter people.

Edit: shinhed-echi shinhed-echi , sorry for mentioning.

Last edited by a moderator:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The thing that gets me about the leak art is that it's nearly 1:1 to the official NES art. In general, I have a hard time believing that they'd have Erdrick playable without the Sword of Light and his Shield. It's actually a great render, but it does not feel like what SE or Sakurai would do

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah I'll be super bummed if Erdrick doesn't have the Sword of Kings and Hero's Shield.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure he will. Or, would. It'd be awfully silly for the Emblem of Erdrick to be the series icon and he's not even using the equipment with the emblem on it.

The full armour's another story, though. I think the fact that Erdwin's outfit in XI is based on the Aliahan clothes rather than the Auroral Armour demonstrates which of those ended up being more iconic. Not that I'd mind it as an option.

I'd also bet that Erdrick's renders would include a slime. I'm still on the different-type-of-slime-for-each-palette train, and it's gotta be visible on the CSS if you're gonna show that off.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think the fact that Erdwin's outfit in XI is based on the Aliahan clothes rather than the Auroral Armour demonstrates which of those ended up being more iconic. Not that I'd mind it as an option.
I think the fact that the Aliahan outfit is the one that shows up on all the box covers makes it more iconic, even though the Auroral Armor is, like, the final armor for 3 games in a row.

I'd also bet that Erdrick's renders would include a slime. I'm still on the different-type-of-slime-for-each-palette train, and it's gotta be visible on the CSS if you're gonna show that off.
I'm hoping Slime ends up being an AT.

Like, a bunch of slimes start dropping from the sky, and if you don't kill them fast enough, they merge into a King Slime that really wrecks shop.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
[/QUOTE]
I'm hoping Slime ends up being an AT.

Like, a bunch of slimes start dropping from the sky, and if you don't kill them fast enough, they merge into a King Slime that really wrecks shop.
Dude, two days after the Last Smash Direct, me, my brother and his fiance, we was talking about who we want as DLC Fighters, and he as a massive Persona fan immediately said Joker and choose Mementos as his Stage. He then said that probably I would choose Slime, but I primarily said the Luminary, but end up changing for Erdrick and said that Slime should be an Assist Trophy with this exactly function. For a stage I thought about a moving Stage like Skyloft for Alefgard with lots of monsters in the background and with the main battlefield in Yggdrasil.

My sister-in-law said Crash. Who knows xD

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think someone posted it already. Glad that there are more picture "leaks", its more fun to speculate over those than text leaks or random twitter people.

Edit: shinhed-echi shinhed-echi , sorry for mentioning.
Why sorry? I can't get enough of that image, actually!

Doesn't help that Dai already sold me on Childrick halfway through, this render definitely completed the job.
I can go either way now.

--
I see some interesting topics have been brought up.

[ERDRICK'S DESIGN]
Honestly? I think Sakurai would go for the more grown up version, since that's the one that's been marketed the most.
The Kid Erdrick design has a few issues that I see getting in the way:
- It was a design that the west never got to see, since the artwork was changed for "being too childish"
- It's not holding the emblematic equipment. (Which IMO makes the character lose a lot of appeal).
- As far as art-style goes, Dragon Quest has evolved the Toriyama style, departing quite a bit from having Erdrick looking like Kid Goku, so going for the chibi style would only draw more unnecessary comparisons. I know it should be irrelevant, but I guess what I'm trying to say is, Neo-Erdrick as presented in games such as Scan Battles, just makes the series look more modern.

And I know Sakurai going for classic looks is apparently something (or a coincidence). But let's have a look:
- Megaman: Classic (almost chibi) to match the NES proportions. They didn't use the PS taller version.
- Simon: Classic (based on NES/Snes) the red-haired version is pretty much PlayStation exclusive.
- Ryu: Design is based off SF4 (or SF2? Difference is really small to me)
- Sonic: I saved this for last because it's a special case that could fit Erdrick's case.
Sakurai isn't a fan of Sonic, but he does like the classic games more. Still, he went for the modern Sonic design. There are 2 reasons why I think that is.
i) SEGA pushed for modern design because it was the relevant/marketable one ATM.
ii) Because it was the one that had graced Nintendo systems (more).

So, unlike Simon who suddenly changed the design only prior to Smash, Classic Sonic wasn't relevant again until 2010, I think. SEGA had no business pushing that image. Add the fact of Sakurai Uprising Pit's design to make it more Smash friendly, and you get the gist of why they'd choose Modern Sonic.... And why they'd choose Modern Erdrick.

So back to Erdrick. We haven't seen his Famicom design since... Well, the Famicom. And his design has come a long way, and I don't think Square-Enix wants to include an outdated version of their character.
Also, grown-up Erdrick has been known worldwide since the GBC era, so he has a slight edge over the kid version.

So that's my take on Erdrick's design.

[FINAL FANTASY]
The moment I tried the demo that came with DQ8 on PS2, was the moment I lost all interest in FF.
FF battle systems were always somewhat of a little chore for me, and half the difficulty curve everytime I started a new FF, because I had to learn one all over again.
Come FF post X, with it's ARPG roots, and all hell broke loose for me. It just wasn't FF anymore. I remember it being more "free", yet more restricting. I hated it.

Good thing I always had DQ in the back of my mind in case I ever stopped liking FF. (It also helped that the protagonist from DQ6 looked a lot like an RPG OC of mine, who was basically purple haired, sword-wielding Gohan).

I still hold FF 1~10 close to my heart. I might give the series a chance again someday, but... I'm not there yet.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
[FINAL FANTASY]
The moment I tried the demo that came with DQ8 on PS2, was the moment I lost all interest in FF.
FF battle systems were always somewhat of a little chore for me, and half the difficulty curve everytime I started a new FF, because I had to learn one all over again.
Come FF post X, with it's ARPG roots, and all hell broke loose for me. It just wasn't FF anymore. I remember it being more "free", yet more restricting. I hated it.

Good thing I always had DQ in the back of my mind in case I ever stopped liking FF. (It also helped that the protagonist from DQ6 looked a lot like an RPG OC of mine, who was basically purple haired, sword-wielding Gohan).

I still hold FF 1~10 close to my heart. I might give the series a chance again someday, but... I'm not there yet.
It's annoying because I loved the way FF9 went back to it's roots for it's style and story and whatnot. And I actually LOVED FF10's game mechanics, but hated everything else about it.

And I've pretty much hated everything post-10.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
It's annoying because I loved the way FF9 went back to it's roots for it's style and story and whatnot. And I actually LOVED FF10's game mechanics, but hated everything else about it.

And I've pretty much hated everything post-10.
...huh? That quote sure isn't me. Freaky.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So long as we get female Erdrick I am fine with Chibi.

Also imagine the plot twist where Christina Vee voices Female Erdrick and everyone goes mad.

D

Deleted member

So long as we get female Erdrick I am fine with Chibi.

Also imagine the plot twist where Christina Vee voices Female Erdrick and everyone goes mad.
That would be amazing.

Update on Cristina Vee, by the way.
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1093555226546761729

Seems her "game" wasn't a literal game but a metaphorical one over an award ceremony. She has done anime dubs, too, so this makes sense. Add how she made a direct post saying that the gaming internet was jumping the gun and everything checks out. Pack your bags on this one, fellas.

D

Deleted member

Also, if you all follow Vergeben, here's what he said about two days ago on reddit.

"Aside from Dragon Quest XI S releasing near or at the same time as it is in Japan, I have been told by two different sources that there are plans to announce a port / ports of previous Dragon Quest games which should come this year too."

Not sure what this means for Smash Bros, but it's there.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Also, if you all follow Vergeben, here's what he said about two days ago on reddit.

"Aside from Dragon Quest XI S releasing near or at the same time as it is in Japan, I have been told by two different sources that there are plans to announce a port / ports of previous Dragon Quest games which should come this year too."

Tommorow also is the 30th anniversary of DQIII(After this is the year of DQIII, like most gaming company usually think in the round numbers anniversaries). Perfect year to release those things.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I said tommorow because it will already be 10/02 in Japan.
Errata: It's the 31st last year was the 30th, but still the chance for something big this year as last year was more like a build up for things this year.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
The idea of people making connections between Cristina Vee and Erdrick would've seemed ludicrous to me just a little while ago. It still doesn't really make any sense, but it's interesting how much things have changed in just a month or two that we're seeing this kind of goofy speculation now.

It's another one of those would-fit-but-doesn't-confirm-anything details, along with Builders 2 and XI S (probably) releasing in the west this year but not having been announced yet. It's a hopeful sign, but it doesn't add up to much more than the FF ports and WoFF, and those didn't result in anything Smash-related. I do hope this is true, though; I've wanted to have the older DQ games on something other than my phone for ages.

There's a Builders 2 livestream (Japanese, of course) on the 13th, to advertise the first set of paid DLC. Boy, that game's sure been out for a while.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

Well, it doesn't really change anything because he's already basically said it's Erdrick. So if you believe Vergeben already, you're already convinced at this point.

D

Deleted member

I found a copy of Dragon Quest XI for PS4 at 25€ that isn’t second hand.
I may try to buy it with the help of my friends tomorrow if my mother doesn’t catch me.

D

Deleted member

The idea of people making connections between Cristina Vee and Erdrick would've seemed ludicrous to me just a little while ago. It still doesn't really make any sense, but it's interesting how much things have changed in just a month or two that we're seeing this kind of goofy speculation now.

It's another one of those would-fit-but-doesn't-confirm-anything details, along with Builders 2 and XI S (probably) releasing in the west this year but not having been announced yet. It's a hopeful sign, but it doesn't add up to much more than the FF ports and WoFF, and those didn't result in anything Smash-related. I do hope this is true, though; I've wanted to have the older DQ games on something other than my phone for ages.

There's a Builders 2 livestream (Japanese, of course) on the 13th, to advertise the first set of paid DLC. Boy, that game's sure been out for a while.
Huh. A nintendo direct is predicted by King Zell on the 13th. Making the evidence fit a narrative isn't a good idea, but there is definitely a lot of evidence that's making me think who else could be revealed?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sounds like my info was right. Kingzell now says the 13th is a good day for a direct.

Also, I heard "Erdrick" is soon from somebody reliable here (*cough* xenother *cough*) so maybe Brave will be over and done with. Maybe.

Additionally, Kingzell listed a few 2019 games that may or may not be in the direct (definitely not Pokemon):

"Including Pikmin 3, Mario Maker 2, Boxboy, and of course the 2D Zelda and Pokemon. MPT probably will be at the Direct."

Note that this fits other things that Emily Rogers has heard, where she said an old wii u game will be ported ( Pikmin 3), and there will be eshop games thsi year (Boxboy). Aligns quite well.
Holy cow guys. Is this light at the end of the dungeon? Finally?
(Sorry for Double quoting you, Polar)

D

Deleted member

Holy cow guys. Is this light at the end of the dungeon? Finally?
(Sorry for Double quoting you, Polar)
Be wary, my comrade. Could just be a lantern. (And it might not be Erdrick despite everything going toward him. Please let it be Erdrick.)

D

Deleted member

Yes, I'll still be mindful not to overhype. If Erdrick isn't a thing, then this is probably the greatest leakbait ever.
The greatest thing going against the Grinch leak was not even leakers had an idea over it. With Erdrick, it seems that popular insiders are saying Erdrick is the likeliest candidate. I'd be shocked if it ended up being someone like Sora or Geno.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I'd be shocked if it ended up being someone like Sora or Geno.
I would be pissed, cause a lot of they supporters are been unbearable d*cks. Specially two Soras and a Geno on Twitter. How they stormed Kumazaki's Instagram to the point that he needed to put a note in his Erdrick's Shield and Disney World Tokyo's candy(? I think) saying that have no deep meaning and are just for hobby. And how they are trying to demonize the DQ franchise, specially using the Sugiyama arjument(not a typo it's Brazilian slur for bad/stupid arguments). Those guys don't deserve a prize after that.
I'm sorry for the reasonable ones though.

D

Deleted member

I would be pissed, cause a lot of they supporters are been unbearable d*cks. Specially two Soras and a Geno on Twitter. How they stormed Kumazaki's Instagram to the point that he needed to put a note in his Erdrick's Shield and Disney World Tokyo's candy(? I think) saying that have no deep meaning and are just for hobby. And how they are trying to demonize the DQ franchise, specially using the Sugiyama arjument(not a typo it's Brazilian slur for bad/stupid arguments). Those guys don't deserve a prize after that.
Eh. I only stick around to the good people. They got it going on. They actually make me want the character.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I'm not saying anything like that is happening here, but it's possible the deal to put Erdrick in Smash has been finalized for years, SquareEnix has known what his Smash appearance is going to look like, and they're making sure all of Erdrick's appearances match that look.
Wouldn't surprise me. Cloud's original personality got salvaged ever since he got added to Smash.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
o
True that. Outside of the sanctity of Smashboards, Geno fans but especially Sora fans are a pain in the ***.
I don't say this in the 7 Squares thread, but I really REALLY R•E•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•A•L•L•Y don't want Sora in the game. (At least not before Erdrick or any DQ character).

D

Deleted member

I don't say this in the 7 Squares thread, but I really REALLY R•E•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•A•L•L•Y don't want Sora in the game. (At least not before Erdrick or any DQ character).
Glad I'm not the only one. I hate Sora's personality.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Eh. I only stick around to the good people. They got it going on. They actually make me want the character.
You're lucky. I have seen so many spoiled brat attitudes by those guys. And saddly lots of Steve memers have made the situation even worse for the true Erdrick supporters.

D

Deleted member

You're lucky. I have seen so many spoiled brat attitudes by those guys. And saddly lots of Steve memers have made the situation even worse for the true Erdrick supporters.
*Shrugs* It's not really luck. I know what I enjoy, no one can take that away from me, and the people who don't like it can have fun not liking it. Some people do need better hobbies though.

D

Deleted member

Of course not every supporter of them is like that (some of the coolest people I know outside of here are huge fans of them and are chill about it) but some of them are just straight up ***** about it and it's irritating as hell. Some people just take all this way too seriously.
But let's try to not go down to the level of those specific douchebags either.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Of course not every supporter of them is like that (some of the coolest people I know outside of here are huge fans of them and are chill about it) but some of them are just straight up ***** about it and it's irritating as hell. Some people just take all this way too seriously.
But let's try to not go down to the level of those specific douchebags either.
Yes, yes, of course there are cool Sora supporters here. Nekoo for example is a pretty cool dude.
On social media, most of them are a completely different story.

But you're right, let's not dwell on that.

Things are looking pretty ok for us. I mean, DQ is like huge, having yet another RPG series get in before DQ, would be a real headscratcher.

Let's hope this is all over soon, and we get to see our boy take his rightful place among the rest of videogame icons.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Hey, could I get on the supporters list?

DQ in Smash has always been a pipe dream of mine; DQIX was my gateway into JRPGs. Any Smash representation would be cool (I was hoping for the protagonist of VIII, since he has my favorite design), but the opportunity has manifested itself in Erdrick, so here I am.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't surprise me. Cloud's original personality got salvaged ever since he got added to Smash.
I'm 50/50 on this. It definitely makes sense to plan ahead and be consistent, but since Toriyama's always been the artist there's not much to really rein in. All of his art of Erdrick has been basically consistent with his style at the time, apart from the Japanese GBC art, which was kind of the genesis of the Builders chibi style. Erdrick hasn't really appeared that often, either. He's been mentioned a lot recently, but the only two places an official design has appeared in the past little while (that I can think of) are the artbook and... the other thing, and that second one wasn't exactly a close look. Oh, and there's also the Bring Arts figure, which is 1:1 the SNES design.

I really like the way Erdrick looks on that cover, though. Even factoring in the perspective, he seems deliberately more kid-like than some of the others, and his outfit is way less gaudy than the SNES art, with some extra details. If I had to choose one image of the character to port into Smash as-is, it'd be this one.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
I'm 50/50 on this. It definitely makes sense to plan ahead and be consistent, but since Toriyama's always been the artist there's not much to really rein in. All of his art of Erdrick has been basically consistent with his style at the time, apart from the Japanese GBC art, which was kind of the genesis of the Builders chibi style. Erdrick hasn't really appeared that often, either. He's been mentioned a lot recently, but the only two places an official design has appeared in the past little while (that I can think of) are the artbook and... the other thing, and that second one wasn't exactly a close look. Oh, and there's also the Bring Arts figure, which is 1:1 the SNES design.

I really like the way Erdrick looks on that cover, though. Even factoring in the perspective, he seems deliberately more kid-like than some of the others, and his outfit is way less gaudy than the SNES art, with some extra details. If I had to choose one image of the character to port into Smash as-is, it'd be this one.
Lol, I actually really like the loud colors of the SNES design. It's just so bright and striking to me.

If I had to pick one Erdrick design to be used for Smash, it would have to be the Bring Arts figure. To me, it's an improved version of the SNES design, and it looks darn cool.

Thing 3.JPG

That said, I think he looks great in the image you'd pick as well. I'd be fine with either interpretation of the character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom