• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Something interesting came up.

Jump Force recently had a leak of Dai from Dragon Quest as a playable hero. It kinda makes me wonder how the budget for Ultimate DLC is compared to SJ.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

Jump Force recently had a leak of Dai from Dragon Quest as a playable hero. It kinda makes me wonder how the budget for Ultimate DLC is compared to SJ.
Well that's one hole in the "They would have to go through a trillion loops for the Dragon Quest rights!" argument if it's true.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Me too. Now naturally they have to be serious when fighting so I expect a Goku-esque glare. But really, a wide grin with closed eyes can really make all of the difference.
Yeah! That would be amazing! Hopefully as a taunt, he could cross his arms and give that worried look. Have a Slime bop on his head. And another one where he scratches his head un embarrassment, with that expression from my avatar.

I just want female Erdrick/Roto
I really want her as an alt. She needs to be more mainstream. I'm 200% sure more people will pick her over Malerdrick.

And regarding the Bamco leak. I'm just going to say that if Erdrick doesn't end up in Smash, I'm getting that other game ASAP.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Where do I start with the Dragon Quest anime?

I looked up on Myanimelist and I found there was a prequel of Dai's adventure that's loosely based on Erdrick's adventures.

Should I start on that?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Where do I start with the Dragon Quest anime?

I looked up on Myanimelist and I found there was a prequel of Dai's adventure that's loosely based on Erdrick's adventures.

Should I start on that?
I mean, I dont think one needs to be watched before the other. You could try an episode of each and see which one you want to start with.
I barely watched them though, but I might watch more soon too :)

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
If anyone also knows, is the anime a faithful adaptation?

I'm a sucker for faithful stuff, especially for manga series I love.

Edit: Just saw the anime, I was surprised by the plot twist in Episode 1, this plot certainly got more interesting than DQ8.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just so you know, only Tenshi Fansubs are subbing Dai's Great Adventure currently.

They don't have a site though, just a Discord, but should be releasing an ep per week.

Also, I should point out that the anime version of Dai's Adventure has its own ending, since Toei got too far ahead of/caught up to the manga (as always) and just stopped. No filler or anything.

On another interesting note, Riku Sanjo (the author) carried over his quirks that he used in this series into later works he was involved with, chief of them being the "hero helped by a party" template (the other big one is related to a big spoiler, so I'll stay mum on that subject for now).

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
God, I remember having to get up at, like, 6AM on Saturday mornings in order to see the DQ anime when it aired here in NA. I freaking loved it so much. Sadly, they only ever aired the first 13 episodes.

I assume that, given that that character is from a DQ Shonen Jump series, SJ already owns the rights to use those characters. So the budget probably isn't really an issue.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
God, I remember having to get up at, like, 6AM on Saturday mornings in order to see the DQ anime when it aired here in NA. I freaking loved it so much. Sadly, they only ever aired the first 13 episodes.

I assume that, given that that character is from a DQ Shonen Jump series, SJ already owns the rights to use those characters. So the budget probably isn't really an issue.
Hey, haven't seen you around in a while.

Yeah, most likely scenario is that they do own the character, but I hear it's not as simple as that, since licencing issues were what prevented Dai from getting in the last game in the first place.

By DQ anime would you happen to refer to this one? Or the one aired as Dragon Warrior? Because I think it was the latter that only has 13 episodes.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
This one.

Way more than 13 episodes, but only 13 ever made it to TV over here as Dragon Warrior.
Ah yeah, Yuusha no Abel. That's what I meant, only aired 13.

That's a pretty good one. I Made the mistake of watching that one and Dai no Daibouken at the same time, so i got the Episode count all mixed up.

Off topic-ish.

Found this crazy animation. Not sure what anime it's a parody from, but it was amusing.

https://youtu.be/tRRQP-WDKaQ

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
So let me ask it here.

Why is Brave = Yuusha?

Yuusha in Dragon Quest means Hero, it's used for his job as a Hero

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So let me ask it here.

Why is Brave = Yuusha?

Yuusha in Dragon Quest means Hero, it's used for his job as a Hero
Because "Yuusha" can be translated as either Brave or Hero. In theory, if Brave is Erdrick, the Smash team used a different translation of Yuusha (Brave) than the localizers at Square Enix (Hero).

It's the same reason why early Fire Emblem fan translations used labeled "Brave" weapons as "Hero" weapons, yuusha could realistically be translated either way.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Because "Yuusha" can be translated as either Brave or Hero. In theory, if Brave is Erdrick, the Smash team used a different translation of Yuusha (Brave) than the localizers at Square Enix (Hero).

It's the same reason why early Fire Emblem fan translations used labeled "Brave" weapons as "Hero" weapons, yuusha could realistically be translated either way.
So are you guys saiyng to me that...

This Erdrick is Brave thing...

Are you guys serious!?

Yuusha means HERO in Dragon Quest! Why the frick they would translate it rong to put in the files!?
WHAT
And im the one rong to think that it could be Agumon becouse "Yuuki" literaly translates as Bravery?

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Yuusha as "brave" isn't uncommon. It's what a machine translation will usually spit out, and it's not weird to see the English word brave on DQ fanart or Japan-exclusive merchandise. Bear in mind that whoever created the codenames may not have a perfect grasp (or any grasp) on English, and the names were obviously not meant for public consumption.

That's not to say that Brave has to be a DQ character; there are plenty of other options. If it weren't for other factors, I doubt nearly so many people would've jumped right to Erdrick. But the connections between DQ and the word "brave" are absolutely real.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yuusha means HERO in Dragon Quest! Why the frick they would translate it rong to put in the files!?
Probably the same reason Joker's files are labeled as Jack. Because the japanese coder might not know English, and it doesn't have to be correct in the game files, since it's not actually going to appear in the game?

It's a file name, not a character name.
And im the one rong to think that it could be Agumon becouse "Yuuki" literaly translates as Bravery?
No, you're wrong for thinking it could be Agumon because it's ****ing Agumon.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Are you guys serious!?

WHAT
The translation doesn't have to be consistent, as it's purely for internal use. As far as Nintendo is concerned, we're not supposed to know "Brave" exists, whoever it is. If Brave was supposed to be public information, then ya, you'd have a point as NoA would probably step in make things consistent. Odds are, The Smash Team decided that all the Fighter's Pass characters would have English codenames (because English is cool) and for Erdrick's went with the first translation they had for his class, Brave.

I don't really know enough about Agumon to assess if he could realistically be brave. That being said, it does kind of seem like a stretch. I figure that Namco would be quicker to give a Tekken or Soul Calibur character than a Digimon. Regardless, Erdrick's thread probably isn't the place to discuss Agumon.

Graizen

Smash Champion
The translation doesn't have to be consistent, as it's purely for internal use. As far as Nintendo is concerned, we're not supposed to know "Brave" exists, whoever it is. If Brave was supposed to be public information, then ya, you'd have a point as NoA would probably step in make things consistent. Odds are, The Smash Team decided that all the Fighter's Pass characters would have English codenames (because English is cool) and for Erdrick's went with the first translation they had for his class, Brave.

I don't really know enough about Agumon to assess if he could realistically be brave. That being said, it does kind of seem like a stretch. I figure that Namco would be quicker to give a Tekken or Soul Calibur character than a Digimon. Regardless, Erdrick's thread probably isn't the place to discuss Agumon.
You wanna know more about Agumon and Digimon and how big they are for Bandai?
I could talk about it , but i don't want to disturb you.

Agumon is the "Brave Digimon"
The world used for him is "Yuuki" means "Bravery"

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Well, it could also be that, you know? Never has a codename been so obvious and vague at the same time.

D

Deleted member

And the word for Yuusha uses the kanji of Isamu which means brave and the kanji of Hito, making brave person or you know brave.

Crappy charmander is a possibility as well, but its silly to dismiss every other possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

I'm more than willing to have a conversation on Agumon, I'm just not sure the support thread of an unrelated character is really the place to do that.

Graizen

Smash Champion
And the word for Yuusha uses the kanji of Isamu which means brave and the kanji of Hito, making brave person or you know brave.

Crappy charmander is a possibility as well, but its silly to dismiss every other possibility.
Never dismissed it, i LOVE Dragon Quest , and Erdrick would mean the World for me as well.

But they use Yuusha in Dragon Quest as "Hero", thats the class name for the Hero.

And "Crappy Charmander" is not good bro, i never talked like that about your characters.

D

Deleted member

Are you guys serious!?

WHAT
Pretty sure we all acknowledge that Brave could mean any character, but for the purpose of this thread, we're naturally going to apply it to Erdrick. You're repeating on one specific point when we have discussed why it could be wrong. Jack does not translate to Joker in any way from my research, but that's still Joker's code name. If someone thinks code name alone confirms him, we'll be happy to point out it's overzealous.

D

Deleted member

Never dismissed it, i LOVE Dragon Quest , and Erdrick would mean the World for me as well.

But they use Yuusha in Dragon Quest as "Hero", thats the class name for the Hero.

And "Crappy Charmander" is not good bro, i never talked like that about your characters.
Fair enough. Sorry about that, but please by all means there is a thread for agumon and there is a thread for the brave if you want to discuss your pick.

One of fhe synonyms for hero is basically brave man, or you know brave. The translation for Yuusha can be used for brave and for hero.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yeah! That would be amazing! Hopefully as a taunt, he could cross his arms and give that worried look. Have a Slime bop on his head. And another one where he scratches his head un embarrassment, with that expression from my avatar.

I really want her as an alt. She needs to be more mainstream. I'm 200% sure more people will pick her over Malerdrick.

And regarding the Bamco leak. I'm just going to say that if Erdrick doesn't end up in Smash, I'm getting that other game ASAP.
What is that other game?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I find it funny to debate Erdrick vs Agumon :p

1. Japanese is different than english. 'Brave' is a kind of synonym to 'hero' for them. It's like 'man of valor' a little. Hero is the english translation used because calling someone a brave would sound weird in english. (it actually sounds cool in a way tho)

2. It's a codename, much like 'jack'. We don't know if it's literal or just a connection to a character.

So with that out of the way, I thought I wanted to post in here but I forgot about what :O
I wanted to say to the thread creator that the NES version had the option for erdrick to be female, and I don't think that's considered a remake. Dunno if he checks this thread tho.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
I find it funny to debate Erdrick vs Agumon :p

1. Japanese is different than english. 'Brave' is a kind of synonym to 'hero' for them. It's like 'man of valor' a little. Hero is the english translation used because calling someone a brave would sound weird in english. (it actually sounds cool in a way tho)

2. It's a codename, much like 'jack'. We don't know if it's literal or just a connection to a character.

So with that out of the way, I thought I wanted to post in here but I forgot about what :O
I wanted to say to the thread creator that the NES version had the option for erdrick to be female, and I don't think that's considered a remake. Dunno if he checks this thread tho.
The poins is: Why translate it as Brave? Why don't use Hero?
If it was for Erdrick, they should just put Hero.

"Oh its a codename!"
So What?

Teeb147

Smash Legend

"Oh its a codename!"
So What?
Because only localization teams would translate it as hero. Japanese programmers are not that, lol.

And a codename is supposed to be vague. if they translate it as hero, then there's no secret. They didn't put Yuusha for a reason.
Also, your agumon pic is cute :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"Oh its a codename!"
So What?
With that logic, why is Joker's codename Jack? Don't think too hard about these codenames. No one is saying they're the decisive evidence that guarantees Erdrick.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Please don't go into a support thread that's hoping for a certain character in part because of their own interpretation of a codename and question why they think it applies 100% definitively to them. I don't go into other people's support threads and demand to know why THEY think "Brave" means the character THEY wish for.

For one, we don't think it guarantees Erdrick at all, but it would be cool if it does, even if the association we've reached is a little flimsy.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Please don't go into a support thread that's hoping for a certain character in part because of their own interpretation of a codename and question why they think it applies 100% definitively to them. I don't go into other people's support threads and demand to know why THEY think "Brave" means the character THEY wish for.

For one, we don't think it guarantees Erdrick at all, but it would be cool if it does, even if the association we've reached is a little flimsy.
Well, it's not flimsy at all for the name. The height stat is what really throws people off. :O

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So fellas. What's your ideal stage for your DQ rep if (s)he were to get in Smash? And I'm not talking about the most likely scenario. I mean, what would be your IDEAL stage like?

My ideal stages would be similar in concept. Basically, they'd be like the Pilotwings / Skyward Sword / Delfino style stages, where they tour around a particular location.

Alefgard
The playable characters would fight on top of Ramia (yeah... I know she technically doesn't fly through Alefgard, but bear with me) Stage would start in Tatangel castle. Ramia would soar above and around the castle, before flying above Tatengel town. Soars through the fields, and you can get a glimpse of the tower where Rubiss was/is imprisoned.
Kol appears in the background, Ramia soars above the mountains and canal that is connected by the dungeon (that in DQ1 was where Princess Gwaelyn was held captive) you can see the two workers cheering at the south entrance, since they finished digging the tunnel.
Then you float atop of Rimuldar. Ramia stops for a while, circling the town.

Then she flies down south to Caitlin, where Golem was finished and is now guarding the entrance.
Ramia carries on her tour, taking you to Damdara where she circles around and heads for Zoma's castle. There, we see Dragonlord on the castle roof, before he raises his scepter and transforms into his dragon self and chases you.
This part would be the most hazardous of the whole tour, where Dragonlord breathes fire (missing by a lot, managing to cover only both blastzones from the sides, one at a time). The real hazard here is Ramia's sharp tilting, which makes it harder to get back to the stage.

Ramia flies through the dungeon (north of Damdara) and loses Dragonlord, then makes it out through the other side, and flies over Tatengel castle, repeating the stage.

...phew... Well, that's my stage idea for Alefgard.

2) Dragon Quest
Same concept as before, you fight on top of Ramia, except she travels through different iconic scenarios of different DQ games.
Like... You witness Ortega's battle with the dragon on top of the volcano, and see how both fall inside.
You fly over the top of Zenithia tower and above the castle.
You fly through and endless ocean as Islands start materializing out of nowhere.
You fly around Trodain castle as it's being cursed with giant thorny vines.
You witness how a gigantic beam of red light shatters the earth and sky.

etc.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Hey Dragon Quest fans, quick question.

With the chance Erdrick is coming to Smash I was thinking about checking out some Dragon Quest stuff to learn about the series. However lacking the time or energy to start yet another RPG while I've got a few others going right now, I was thinking about checking out Dragon Quest Warriors (Heroes?). I know the game play obviously won't be the same but would that be a way to learn about the world or is it just too far removed from the main games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom