• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I do hope they put party members somewhere with erdrick, and the final smash or the victory screen might be the best place for it, but i wouldn't be opposed to in battle somehow too :)

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I like the moveset but also I just wanted to remark on how odd it is to see Alena use magic since she's a martial artist in DQ4.
I always figured it was more of a ki blast sort of thing, like Pearly Gates is in XI. Y'know... magic, but martial arts magic. I have no idea what spell or ability it's meant to be, and I don't think there's anywhere in either Heroes game that actually says. Most of them are pretty clear-cut.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Hopefully DQ Day has some great things to make up for some stuff from real life.
It probably won't. But itll at least offer levity. I dont know if we will get any news in terms of games. But DQ day is guaranteed to have a lot of fanart.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hopefully DQ Day has some great things to make up for some stuff from real life.
No one can bank on anything. It's pretty much just a bonus little treat on the way to e3 with a small chance for something more ;)

life can be harsh sometimes. But we all have the power in us to learn and make the best of things.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
No one can bank on anything. It's pretty much just a bonus little treat on the way to e3 with a small chance for something more ;)

life can be harsh sometimes. But we all have the power in us to learn and make the best of things.
Yes. Sitting around and having life weigh on you is pointless. It's working out with that weight does it become much more clear.

Also:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yes. Sitting around and having life weigh on you is pointless. It's working out with that weight does it become much more clear.

Also:

So the movie is in august and tickets will be available at the end of this month? :O
That's buying it quite in advance, but i guess it'd be worth doing that in japan ;p

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So the movie is in august and tickets will be available at the end of this month? :O
That's buying it quite in advance, but i guess it'd be worth doing that in japan ;p
Well I imagine DQ is to Japan what ... I dunno maybe Star Wars was for the west.

I would love to watch this on theatres. I’m hoping this gets released overseas.
I’m sure that DQ has it’s eyes set on the overseas market this year. There’s no other explanation to why they could have gone with graphics like DQ XI or better, and they went for more western looking animation.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well I imagine DQ is to Japan what ... I dunno maybe Star Wars was for the west.

I would love to watch this on theatres. I’m hoping this gets released overseas.
I’m sure that DQ has it’s eyes set on the overseas market this year. There’s no other explanation to why they could have gone with graphics like DQ XI or better, and they went for more western looking animation.
dunno what you mean by western looking animation (i guess you mean not toriyama or overly anime), but anyway unless there's a theatre with subs, i think most of us will be watching it another way than theatres. There's nothing about it having been translated right? still wondering what they might do in the future with it tho.

Either way I'm curious what'll happen with it.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
If they make a worldwide release, I would like to watch this on the theaters.
Probably the movie sessions here will mostly be some 25-30's dudes like me and some older ones as DQ was popular here with the NES older players and some Game Boy era players.
Talking about that popularity with this age group here. There's a comedian/singer/game developer/YouTuber brother duo from this NES era that make a parody song for Dragon Quest. (It's a parody from Legião Urbana's Faroeste Caboclo)
https://youtu.be/M7JeBg-YqeQ
Here is the translation of the lyrics:
Have no fear the Hero that they've saw
It's what everyone said as the battle he won
He leave behind his family at the farm
Going only with the sword that his father gave

But his life start to make sense
Right when a entity to him has appeared
Said: the Earth must you save
From a terrible demon that from hell has reborn

He goes to the church and healed at full
And take the chance to the game save
Leave the village by the door on his front
Feels there isn't his place

The enemies he want to defeat
Because he must complete his quest
Get money to have how to be equiped
For self choice, Leather Armor
[Adp note: Latão is actually tin]

Crossed the road and arrive in another town
A land occupied by a oppressive villain
That said would send him to purgatory
Spread the hate, violence and the horror

But on the moment he reach his club
The Hero counter attacked and a give him a lot of pain
He tried to land an answer hit
But he received a hard blow, was streight and certain kill

After this shock his path he proceeded
And he find a Mage who with he talked
And the Mage show him a way by a jungle trail
That he want to cross

He said: "Are you seeing this trail?
I'm afraid to die in that place
But I need to find my daughter
Maybe would you help me?"

The Hero accept that propose
And in the forest he entered to find her, after all
He saw animals with abnormal ferocity
They look possessed by a evil spirit

"My God, this trail never end,
His daughter I can't find!"
On a hill, fall the Mage
And after this fall a river shore he saw

A strong light with great intensity
Looks like was leading they to enormous cruiser
A man present itself as an admiral
And stunned he asked "Where did I go?"

"I don't know, but I search for my daughter Olívia
Don't have a clue from where she is"
Very worried he said
That for a bit more he would snap

The admiral said that he did remember a thing
Said to the Mage that he would help him
His ship has a little wrecked
But it could the other continent reach

And finished this talk
And they decided that the admiral they would follow
But the ship was transformed by a spell
And the devil, disguised, the curse goes to star

Suddenly a real octopus, that with such brutality
Destroyed all that was there
But the old man focused with determination
And get rid of all enemies there.

After that, they sailed to the north
Searching his daughter and get her free
But suddenly
Under a turbulence the whole ship
Starts to sink.

The Hero try to fight but he only tired himself
Is his death time he thought for the first time
But someone grabbed his body
"Don't be afraid, I will get you!"

Now I know that nothing is listed
I'm protected but something celestial
I feel a vital force,
A power more potent the medicinal herb

Was when he saw a girl
Looks like the responsibility by what happened to him
She is Olivia, a beautiful girl
And daughter from the Mage he just knew

He thought that he wants to marry
Of the Mage, son-in-law he want to be
"Dear Olívia, forever I will love you
And forever I want to live with you"

The day passed and later comes to the door
A spirit without a face with a rod in hands
And surrounded by a ominous mist
He pushed the Hero out,
Throwing him to the ground.

And readying his final blow
The spirit rise his cepter on his way
But the Hero points to the stars
And a fire power was casted from his hand

"And is better to you away from that house"
But the spirit summon a poisonous scorpion
And before he goes, with hate in his gaze, threated:
"You lost your life, my lad"
[Adp note: Irmão is brother]

Those words caused me confusion
But I trust on the force of the heart...

But Olívia wasn't close
The destiny was uncertain, "Where did she go?"
And searching on between the waterfall
He would find a temple build in this place

Was really peaceful, looks like a monastery
And then the Mage goes to the altar
And a voice come saying that Olívia
Was locked and sentenced to the guillotine

And everything was because of King Malaquias
Winch with the power of his name, tryed to take revange
But indeed he was possessed
By the evil spirit that the Hero wants to defeat

And the Hero is on Level 22
A new spell he already know how to cast
And decided to spend the Mana only after
That Malaquias he start to fight

Malaquias, a shameless tyrant
Organized his army to the world take over
He enslaved innocent people
And burned villages without any bit of thought

And the Hero thought about backing to his home
For his family from the tyrant preserve
"Let's go, we need to be cunning
We have no time, before him I will arrive"

Arriving home then he cried
Was a hell on Earth what the tyrant did
With a sword Malaquias kill him
And his dad was dead right there

The Hero was only hate inside
And then Malaquias for a duel he defy
Suddenly a energy expanded there
And binding with might, he fade out

When he awaken, didn't find his weapons
"But even like that I will defeat you, you treacherous pig
But I see more then a dozen
Of upset enemies wanting to bring the chaos.

And our Hero don't know what to do
When a Griffon come in his direction
And our Hero didn't know if he will live
But again something out of his reason

Quickly, then, coming from outside
A Powerful Aura make our Hero react
The Hero, that search for answers
When see that was Olívia, he start to smile

A War Cry strong from the throat
And the Griffon, scared, resolved to flee
And he reunited with the Mage and his daughter
They start to run to get out from there

And in this fight he filled with hope
And he thought about what he lived till here
And he decided to get on that dance
"My Quest I will proceed till the end"

And there right before his eyes
The demon Malaquias to him appeared
And revealed in his second form
The battle start occurred

"Malaquias, I have a soul, something that you don't have
And I don't kill innocents, no
And everything is your fault, you shameless
Spilling all this blood turns you on a villain"

And the Hero, now on Level 32
Used all his Mana to deliver the victory hit
Alongside Olívia that cast right after
A spell to finish the oppressive spirit

And the people claimed that the Hero that they saw
Was a Saint cause the demon he defeat
And everyone that live in the town
Spread the story that they just saw happen

Our Hero got what he want
And after marring Olívia, he happy livied
And his Quest he completely fulfilled
Helping the people to never more...

Suffer...

(Hope I have adapted the lyrics well, and didn't have maked that much mistakes. It's a really long and complicated song, with a unusual way to speak. Also marked two adaptations that I think that was too drastic.)

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You know, this might be a controversial thought for the wrong reasons, but I’ve been fantasizing about Erdrick getting in, and Sakurai, being the loveable overlord that he is gives us all a bonus, Slime for playable Character, but here’s the thing... he’s a joke character with Terrible terrible stats.
And the reason for this is so they don’t waste their valuable time balancing him out.

It’s just fun to think about, I guess. They could share a trailer, and Slime would pull a Rihter/Piranha Plant.

I mean could you imagine? Another DQ hero (maybe Alena or Terry) are about to make their entrance, when slurp! Slime pounds his/her head to the ground, and
>SLIME draws near!<

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
What do you guys think of the chance of Erdrick being DLC, but not revealed at E3, because E3 is primarily a Western thing?

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think of the chance of Erdrick being DLC, but not revealed at E3, because E3 is primarily a Western thing?
I think that even been a primarily Western thing, there's a good chance they announce there alongside the third character. Could be even more, as SE want to the west give more attention to DQ.
But I think it still be revealed this month. And release on E3, alongside the announcement of the third character.

Edit: I saw on Famitsu, that specifically Erdrick Trilogy and DQM Terry's Wonderland mobile versions will be on sale on Dragon Quest Day. It Matchs with the new Dragon Quest Monsters game and that rumor about Erdrick Trilogy Console port.

Last edited:

NB96

Smash Rookie
One of the reasons they will have wanted a Dragon Quest character in Smash is to promote to the western audiences though. I don't necessarily believe the Japanee leak that had Doom Guy and Ryu Hayabusa but what they said about Erdrick makes perfect sense. The series ha conquered Japan but imagine how much money is there to be made if the series grows in the West. Making a big deal out if it when all eyes are on E3 would be a good move business-wise.

D

Deleted member

I feel that the DQ5 movie will get a wolrdwide release.

Toho has been doing those for their productions for a while, including the Godzilla anime trilogy.

D

Deleted member

Going with what Vergeben said, the SE character was intended to be revealed first. Sakurai then stated that Nintendo made him reveal Joker way earlier than intended. This could mean Erdrick was intended to be first but got pushed to second because of the VGA. DLC wasn't started until after Ultimate's release so this could work.

I'm someone who believes in a Microsoft rep. If Nintendo wanted to go big, they could reveal Erdrick and the Microsoft rep all at once, which would appeal to both crowds.

Alternatively, they could reveal a first party and Erdrick. Typically, Nintendo revealed multiple newcomers in their previous E3s.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Going with what Vergeben said, the SE character was intended to be revealed first. Sakurai then stated that Nintendo made him reveal Joker way earlier than intended. This could mean Erdrick was intended to be first but got pushed to second because of the VGA. DLC wasn't started until after Ultimate's release so this could work.

I'm someone who believes in a Microsoft rep. If Nintendo wanted to go big, they could reveal Erdrick and the Microsoft rep all at once, which would appeal to both crowds.

Alternatively, they could reveal a first party and Erdrick. Typically, Nintendo revealed multiple newcomers in their previous E3s.
It's definitely the best option, and I do really hope they do that XD
I really dont know what to expect though, but it's ok because i'm going into e3 season being open. I just wanna see what shows up :)

D

Deleted member

It's definitely the best option, and I do really hope they do that XD
I really dont know what to expect though, but it's ok because i'm going into e3 season being open. I just wanna see what shows up :)
Other than Smash, the only things I want to see are FE Three Houses material to see if it's actually promising and Microsoft content coming to Switch.

Otherwise, I think this E3 is gonna be very fun this year. Nothing as big as Smash Ultimate's reveal, but maybe more diverse announcements compared to one big one.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Other than Smash, the only things I want to see are FE Three Houses material to see if it's actually promising and Microsoft content coming to Switch.

Otherwise, I think this E3 is gonna be very fun this year. Nothing as big as Smash Ultimate's reveal, but maybe more diverse announcements compared to one big one.
Besides Conker's bad fur day, there isn't much I care too much about from microsoft, as far as i know. I'm mostly going to be all up in SE and Nintendo revelations :)

D

Deleted member

I still havent watched beyond the first episode. Seemed like something i could enjoy, but i guess i've been on an anime break for a bit.

I'd probably watch any new dragon quest anime tho ;p
Closest thing we have at this point is the DQ5 movie. Hope it does successful enough to inspire offshoots like anime and more movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I’m confident that the DQ5 movie will do well in Japan.

Having Toho behind it always brings the attention of many people, with myself even expecting a world-wide release of the movie later based on the most recent Toho productions and how they tend to get an official release outside of Japan either through theaters or Netflix.

Toho is a company that tends to bring their stuff to the west.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Ah it looks like everyone beat me to it when it comes to the announcement (on Roto day no less). However, there is still one thing that I got you all beat. Tada!

IMG_20190524_092014.jpg

By @dramani5958

Graizen

Smash Champion
Hey guys , some news for you:

https://gematsu.com/2019/05/surpris...d-for-june-10-due-issue-of-weekly-shonen-jump

The June 10-due issue of Weekly Shonen Jump will contain “surprising news” on the Dragon Quest series, according to this week’s issue.

Dragon Quest series creator Yuji Horii previously said he would share information about the “Voice Drama” downloadable content for Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition. It has also been a while since the new Dragon Quest Monsters game for console was confirmed.

June 10 is the same day of the Smash E3 Tournamment.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ah it looks like everyone beat me to it when it comes to the announcement (on Roto day no less). However, there is still one thing that I got you all beat. Tada!

View attachment 224269

By @dramani5958
Hm I wonder why they went with the super saiyan forms, it could've looked cool with regular goku instead of erdrick, and videl as a martial artist (just imagine her with the martial artist uniform)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

https://gematsu.com/2019/05/surpris...d-for-june-10-due-issue-of-weekly-shonen-jump

The June 10-due issue of Weekly Shonen Jump will contain “surprising news” on the Dragon Quest series, according to this week’s issue.

Dragon Quest series creator Yuji Horii previously said he would share information about the “Voice Drama” downloadable content for Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition. It has also been a while since the new Dragon Quest Monsters game for console was confirmed.

Ok I knew all that except for the very last part. That is super duper hype. Isn't that also the SE direct?

Hm I wonder why they went with the super saiyan forms, it could've looked cool with regular goku instead of erdrick, and videl as a martial artist (just imagine her with the martial artist uniform)

Videl as a martial artist would look fiiine. Although I'd like it if this was redone with the DB cast only. No Z

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Cool I'm curious what it is. would be cool if there's more than just voice stuff.

But btw the smash e3 tournament is on the 8th. The 10th is when SE will be presenting. But since japan is supposed to be ahead, then it should be the 9th for us.

Graizen

Smash Champion
There is a new Digimon called "Ropuremon", based on a "RPG Game"

He is based on Erdrick

Ropuremon_b.png

FUNNY how his 2 attacks are

Holy Sword
and
Brave Shield

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Cool I'm curious what it is. would be cool if there's more than just voice stuff.

But btw the smash e3 tournament is on the 8th. The 10th is when SE will be presenting. But since japan is supposed to be ahead, then it should be the 9th for us.
Does Shonen Jump have a history with promoting ips outside of theirs?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Does Shonen Jump have a history with promoting ips outside of theirs?
Maybe someone knows, but I think weekly shonen jump is different and they have some video game stuff once in a while.
I can't say I know much about it all though.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Maybe someone knows, but I think weekly shonen jump is different and they have some video game stuff once in a while.
I can't say I know much about it all though.
Me neither. I know they promote themselves when it comes to games. So I'm just assuming it has something to do with Dai or perhaps an announcement of a new DQ anime. Hopefully we get DQ11S and monsters news, and maybe a smash reveal.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Me neither. I know they promote themselves when it comes to games. So I'm just assuming it has something to do with Dai or perhaps an announcement of a new DQ anime. Hopefully we get DQ11S and monsters news, and maybe a smash reveal.
Since it said the dragon quest 'series', I would think it's a bit more than that, but it also talked about voicing, so really i dunno ;p
At least we know we have one more thing to spot around e3 time :)

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Since it said the dragon quest 'series', I would think it's a bit more than that, but it also talked about voicing, so really i dunno ;p
At least we know we have one more thing to spot around e3 time :)
I hope we get a massive DQ blowout rofl. DQX localized here in America. Yes please.

In other news: Slime figure

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom