• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
DQ Day is close.

Hopefully we see a trailer of the DQ5 movie.
I hope we get a lot of things on DQ day. The one I least expect is a smash reveal since i doubt it would happen. However, if we get like a DQ3 remake announcement, I'd be pretty hyped.

It was a retweet. I think this is the page of the artist: https://twitter.com/urirou
much cuter page too :p
Noticing a particular ship that's beloved by this artist lol.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I hope we get a lot of things on DQ day. The one I least expect is a smash reveal since i doubt it would happen. However, if we get like a DQ3 remake announcement, I'd be pretty hyped.

Noticing a particular ship that's beloved by this artist lol.
Yeh, usually i dont like that ship but they draw them so cute i cant complain XD

Verge mentioned some older dragon quest ports, so im really looking to seeing which ones it could be and if something like that could be an announcement soon.

I found my dragon warrior 3 gbc cartridge today. so i could already play dq3 portably if wanted to ;p Maybe i'll end up doing that sometime just because there's 2 different team setups i wanna try anyway, including with some jesters. But anyway dq3 for switch would be pretty good news overall :)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
When did they announce that? All Koizumi said at the last Direct was that there would be "more information to share in the future" about XI S.

I don't think you need to sweat the crowds. Nobody who would possibly show off Dragon Quest is still doing live stage presentations anyway.
Huh. I totally took it as there were going to be more announcements, especially with all the rumors going around about the porting of older DQ games.
So you say it's just information from games already released or about to be released? Only DQXIs is lacking a release date, unless they want to reveal more of its exclusive content.

https://twitter.com/DQSB_PR/status/1130020265977450496

(Don't know how to embed tweets)
I lol'd at this. I found it hillarious that Solo would "put it there" to Psaro, and he would comply, only to hit him so hard, that Solo lost his balance. Did not expect Psaro to play along. XD

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Huh. I totally took it as there were going to be more announcements, especially with all the rumors going around about the porting of older DQ games.
So you say it's just information from games already released or about to be released? Only DQXIs is lacking a release date, unless they want to reveal more of its exclusive content.

https://twitter.com/DQSB_PR/status/1130020265977450496

(Don't know how to embed tweets)
I lol'd at this. I found it hillarious that Solo would "put it there" to Psaro, and he would comply, only to hit him so hard, that Solo lost his balance. Did not expect Psaro to play along. XD
I hope we get a villain like Psaro for the sequel.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
I just realized something. While Smash has no shortage of characters originating from RPGs, none of them actually represent traditional RPG gameplay. Their movesets are either derived from that character's unique traits (Ness, Lucas, every playable Pokemon, Shulk and Joker to some extent) or from their game of origin's unique mechanics (Pokemon Trainer, Shulk and Joker again, Cloud).

With this in mind, I think Erdrick, as a protagonist of one of the quintessential JRPGs, is in a unique position here. They could go the same route as Shulk, Cloud, and Joker if they incorporate Pep/Tension into their moveset, but I feel it would be more appropriate to represent some aspect of traditional RPG gameplay. There's still tons of ways to go about that, but the only thing I had in mind was party management and buff/debuff spells. What do you guys think?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I just realized something. While Smash has no shortage of characters originating from RPGs, none of them actually represent traditional RPG gameplay. Their movesets are either derived from that character's unique traits (Ness, Lucas, every playable Pokemon, Shulk and Joker to some extent) or from their game of origin's unique mechanics (Pokemon Trainer, Shulk and Joker again, Cloud).

With this in mind, I think Erdrick, as a protagonist of one of the quintessential JRPGs, is in a unique position here. They could go the same route as Shulk, Cloud, and Joker if they incorporate Pep/Tension into their moveset, but I feel it would be more appropriate to represent some aspect of traditional RPG gameplay. There's still tons of ways to go about that, but the only thing I had in mind was party management and buff/debuff spells. What do you guys think?
I don't know if they would even do something too different from before, but if they can make it feel like the character comes from an rpg then sure, that'd be cool. Ness uses both his equipment as well as his skills, so the only thing more would be to have something that literally makes people think of rpgs in general. I dont see party management happening because it would take more movesets or something ,and i dont think they'd have time for too much, but there could definitely be something interesting, including the magic menu like stuff (so long as it doesnt slow down moves in combat in any way).
Buff/debuff spells would be great but that doesn't say 'rpg' more than other spells we've already seen..

It does make me curious about what cool stuff sakurai would end up putting in. :)

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
It wasn't really ambiguous. The comment was definitely in reference to new XI S features specifically, coming right off of mentioning the added character stories. Also, even though the trailer we got was different, Koizumi's comment was in the Japanese direct too, so he definitely wasn't talking about Builders 2 or English localizations. XI S almost certainly still has some surprises up its sleeve. That's not to say there's nothing else to announce, but nobody made any promises.

...of course, since the PS4 and 3DS versions of XI came along with DQI-III ports (with the DQ1 port free), and since XI S has the feature from the 3DS version where you visit past games (in some form), I wouldn't be surprised to see ~more XI S news~ tie into port announcements somehow.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Yes, there are definitely more ways to have him represent RPGs in their original glory.

1) MP mechanic and Menu system.
Having a menu pop up in the middle of a battle is IMO the ideal way, but not the only one. It’s one I would like to see at least.

2) Party gimmick. Loved this idea when we were on board the Kid Erdrick train. I can see so much potential in it, imagine assigning commands to the 3 party members, then with the press of a command button (say, B) one at a time, party members step in front of Erdrick and execute their command. They can be KO’d though, but Erdrick could zing them (consuming a lot of MP in the process).

3) Armor upgrade.
While my least favorite, it’s still a favorite. After some time, you get to upgrade your equipment through the spending of currency perhaps? (Kind of like Shovel Knight in RoA).

4) Change equipment mid-battle.
While not a focus, it’s still something you can do in the majority of the mainline games. Maybe you need to rely on an axe which hits stronger but has less range than a sword? Or maybe you need to keep your opponent off the platform and go fisticuffs for best knockback? Or maybe you need to outrange your opponent always, so go sickle/whip. I admit this sounds like it would fit a Monster Hunter, but it would be really cool to have. (And have 3 interchangeable shields).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yes, there are definitely more ways to have him represent RPGs in their original glory.

Having a menu pop up in the middle of a battle is IMO the ideal way, but not the only one. It’s one I would like to see at least.

2) Party gimmick. Loved this idea when we were on board the Kid Erdrick train. I can see so much potential in it, imagine assigning commands to the 3 party members, then with the press of a command button (say, B) one at a time, party members step in front of Erdrick and execute their command. They can be KO’d though, but Erdrick could zing them (consuming a lot of MP in the process).

3) Armor upgrade.
While my least favorite, it’s still a favorite. After some time, you get to upgrade your equipment through the spending of currency perhaps? (Kind of like Shovel Knight in RoA).

While not a focus, it’s still something you can do in the majority of the mainline games. Maybe you need to rely on an axe which hits stronger but has less range than a sword? Or maybe you need to keep your opponent off the platform and go fisticuffs for best knockback? Or maybe you need to outrange your opponent always, so go sickle/whip. I admit this sounds like it would fit a Monster Hunter, but it would be really cool to have. (And have 3 interchangeable shields).
Any of that would be great to see. But even in the case where there'd be something party-related, 3 party members would be too much to see on screen. Multiple people playing ice climbers is already bad enough. There might be some ideas for something that can work, or even just a taunt or victory screen that shows a party.

I'm ok with an mp system so long as it's easy to recover mp, and also that the spells are worth it.

My favorite is by far being able to switch weapons for something new to the moveset. But that takes a lot of time to develop, so i'm not counting on it... but it'd be great :)

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Any of that would be great to see. But even in the case where there'd be something party-related, 3 party members would be too much to see on screen. Multiple people playing ice climbers is already bad enough. There might be some ideas for something that can work, or even just a taunt or victory screen that shows a party.

I'm ok with an mp system so long as it's easy to recover mp, and also that the spells are worth it.

My favorite is by far being able to switch weapons for something new to the moveset. But that takes a lot of time to develop, so i'm not counting on it... but it'd be great :)
Would it look too awful if they were lower poly versions?

Ok, as for recovering MP... Happy Hat! From DQV. You recover MP with each step. (They could adjust the ratio to make it fair, but you get the idea).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Would it look too awful if they were lower poly versions?

Ok, as for recovering MP... Happy Hat! From DQV. You recover MP with each step. (They could adjust the ratio to make it fair, but you get the idea).
I guess if we can tell them apart it'd help a bit, but it's still too many moving parts. Picture an 8-player brawl with multiple teams going around.
There could maybe be a way to make them disappear until they're called on or something. The commands would have to be pretty simple, so that they'd be easy to make. But I definitely like ideas around this, I just think it's hard to know what sakurai would be willing to do in the timeframe that he's got.

For MP. I could also see recovery being based on hitting someone with a-attacks, or naturally over time.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

3) Armor upgrade.

My favorite is the menu and mp mechanic still. The idea of using MP for spells and specials is a great way to use his powers in a conservative way. The question is how do you get them back. And better yet how do you use it in a way that he's still viable in competitive (assuming we care for that stuff).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I consider FF7 to be a pretty traditional RPG. At least, until the remake.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Off topic. If we had an JRPG Avengers, who would the team be comprised of and why.
Erdrick: Captain America
Cloud: Winter SOLDIER
Joker: Black Widow
Wren: Iron Man
Isaac: Dr. Strange
Ness: Scarlet Witch
Pikachu: Thor..?

This is as far as I got. I have thought of a SEGA avengers or Justice League, but I don’t feel I know enough JRPGs since I’ve spent most of my time with them with FF, DQ, and Pokémon.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
It is, but I'm talking about how they're represented in Smash. Cloud's moveset focuses on the somewhat untraditional Limit Break mechanic.
Hopefully the movement of Erdrick if he gets in is extremely faithful. Unless they go Battle Road Victory where the characters are REALLY fast.

D

Deleted member

Erdrick: Captain America
Cloud: Winter SOLDIER
Joker: Black Widow
Wren: Iron Man
Isaac: Dr. Strange
Ness: Scarlet Witch
Pikachu: Thor..?

This is as far as I got. I have thought of a SEGA avengers or Justice League, but I don’t feel I know enough JRPGs since I’ve spent most of my time with them with FF, DQ, and Pokémon.
I think Geno is more like Dr. Strange to be honest and I could see Isaac as more of a Spider-Man-esque character.

Geno's design just reminds me of Strange's for some reason, Their personalities are similar in being kinda stoic and contemplative yet quirky in ways, Geno kinda uses magic in some attacks and Strange is a straight up magic user, Etc.

And I think Isaac could be more like Spider-Man cause they're both teenagers or at least in GS1 Isaac is a teen, From what I remember they're both kinda childish, Etc. But otherwise I agree completely.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
My favorite is the menu and mp mechanic still. The idea of using MP for spells and specials is a great way to use his powers in a conservative way. The question is how do you get them back. And better yet how do you use it in a way that he's still viable in competitive (assuming we care for that stuff).
What did you guys think about items to recover his mp? Could the Item menu open when the mp got low enough to not be able to use spells.
This way he got a opening, but still full calculable and make his move set very viable as it is reusable this way and isn't a wait based recharge.
Also that way he could be armed with different levels of his spells winch make his strategy more versatile.

Also I think about that on his reveal trailer in a gameplay segment Robin been charging Thoron and Erdrick just drop Kazap over him, then next he try to use in a "Lightning Rod" Pikachu and failed.(He will try to use the spell without MP and the Pikachu use Thunder, like it been absorbing the Zap)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What did you guys think about items to recover his mp? Could the Item menu open when the mp got low enough to not be able to use spells.
This way he got a opening, but still full calculable and make his move set very viable as it is reusable this way and isn't a wait based recharge.
Also that way he could be armed with different levels of his spells winch make his strategy more versatile.
11 has the mage characters recover hp by doing physical attacks, while swords dont have them they can take liberties with them.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
There’s
L:

Happy Hat (my favorite concept) where you recover MP by just moving around

There’s Seraph’s Arrow I think... Angelo’s Bow skill that drains MP from the opponent.

There’s Magic Water item.

Absorb Magic magic. (Could work like Nosferatu except you don’t damage opponent, you recover MP and as a bonus, maybe disable specials temporarily? Or make them stale at least?)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
11 has the mage characters recover hp by doing physical attacks, while swords dont have them they can take liberties with them.
Was that on any hit, or by wand hits? Because I know in 9 that's what the wand can do.

In Dragon Quest Heroes 2, MP was recovered when making a critical hit, which is kind of a neat idea to think about. I mean, how would you feel if erdrick was able to land critical hits? This could either be a bit like a sweet-spot mechanics (like marth's tipper), or a random chance, or something else.

There’s
L:

Happy Hat (my favorite concept) where you recover MP by just moving around

There’s Seraph’s Arrow I think... Angelo’s Bow skill that drains MP from the opponent.

There’s Magic Water item.

Absorb Magic magic. (Could work like Nosferatu except you don’t damage opponent, you recover MP and as a bonus, maybe disable specials temporarily? Or make them stale at least?)
Happy hat is like the Goddess Ring, I guess. Either one would be the same thing.

There's also the Wizard ring (or prayer ring), which you can use to recover mp but has a chance to break.

And there's Focus Pocus, Which is a spell that's essentially mp-regen for a while. I used it a lot the time in dragon quest 9 with my cleric/sage, because I like being able to recover mp automatically. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Was that on any hit, or by wand hits? Because I know in 9 that's what the wand can do.

In Dragon Quest Heroes 2, MP was recovered when making a critical hit, which is kind of a neat idea to think about. I mean, how would you feel if erdrick was able to land critical hits? This could either be a bit like a sweet-spot mechanics (like marth's tipper), or a random chance, or something else.

Happy hat is like the Goddess Ring, I guess. Either one would be the same thing.

There's also the Wizard ring (or prayer ring), which you can use to recover mp but has a chance to break.

And there's Focus Pocus, Which is a spell that's essentially mp-regen for a while. I used it a lot the time in dragon quest 9 with my cleric/sage, because I like being able to recover mp automatically. :)
Wands and rods, been a while since I played 9 so I forgot :b

Recovering by criticals sounds like a cool idea, dunno how well it would go but we have some characters that do kinda criticals already with the sweetspots like Luigi and puff.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

My idea for the DQ rep recovery would basically be the Wing item (I sadly don't remember the name right now).

It could work like the recovery of Palutena or Zelda.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Wands and rods, been a while since I played 9 so I forgot :b

Recovering by criticals sounds like a cool idea, dunno how well it would go but we have some characters that do kinda criticals already with the sweetspots like Luigi and puff.
Well, I didn't mean deathblows :p I mean more like the usual sweetspots, and marth's tipper, but maybe there could be something that says 'critical hit' when you get it and it would do more damage and knockback. (maybe even see dmg pop up)

I dont usually like 'random' chances, but i think it could be amusing too if it was something that just had a chance to happen, either in general or based on something (dunno what tho).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My idea for the DQ rep recovery would basically be the Wing item (I sadly don't remember the name right now).

It could work like the recovery of Palutena or Zelda.
This is an interesting question, what would be the better recovery?
  • Chimaera Wing?
  • Zoom spell?
  • Aid from Monster?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Chimera Wing seems pretty likely.
The zoom spell would be the easiest and more known, i think. But it's essentially the same thing.
It could probably look more like lucario's up-b than a teleportation. If you remember how it looks the character zooms upwards, not disappearing. (and you hit your head on the ceiling if you try indoors :p)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The zoom spell would be the easiest and more known, i think. But it's essentially the same thing.
It would probably look more like lucario's up-b than a teleportation. If you remember how it looks the character zooms upwards, not disappearing. (and you hit your head on the ceiling if you try indoors :p)
Heh.

That could be cool too.

Maybe with the character even getting a tiny bit of damage if he gets hit with a solid structure above them.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
  • Chimaera Wing?
  • Zoom spell?
  • Aid from Monster?
I can't imagine it not being Zoom. It's in just about every game and it's nearly always learned by the hero. I feel like it would (should?) work more like Super Dedede Jump than Power of Flight or Wings of Rebellion.

Maybe if there was serious concern that wouldn't work for whatever reason, you could have him get a lift from Ramia or something, Cypher-style? I'd put money on it being Zoom, though. You're not really getting the whole hero package unless they have Zoom and Zap.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Heh.

That could be cool too.

Maybe with the character even getting a tiny bit of damage if he gets hit with a solid structure above them.
Well, you dont take damage from it in game, but there could be the same sound from knocking something :p

I dont mind if they do zoom (or the wing), but I do like up-b moves that hit too, so i wouldnt mind it being something else. There's still quite a bit of possibilities, including other magic or skills.

• Chimaera Wing?
  • Zoom spell?
  • Aid from Monster?
I dont know how a monster could help but it's still pretty open there for something they'd invent ;p
jumping on a slime? going with an actual chimaera? could work i guess.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
  • Chimaera Wing?
  • Zoom spell?
  • Aid from Monster?
I would go for Chimera Wing because although it acts exactly like Zoom, at least it wouldn’t detract MP. (And items can be infinite, just ask Link).

I have been thinking if there should be both Zoom AND the spell to escape dungeons.

But I think Zoom is excellent. It could either work like Lucario’a Extreme speed (neat idea, hadn’t thought of that).
Or it could work like Kirby’s Warp star item minus the explosion, and lots of landing lag.

Unrelated, I’m dedicating a bit more to playing DQ Rivals on Switch until we get DQ games on it. I’m starting to like it too. Can’t decide which leader to main. I love Alena and Jessica. Psaro is cool, and Terry is awesome.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I would go for Chimera Wing because although it acts exactly like Zoom, at least it wouldn’t detract MP. (And items can be infinite, just ask Link).

I have been thinking if there should be both Zoom AND the spell to escape dungeons.

But I think Zoom is excellent. It could either work like Lucario’a Extreme speed (neat idea, hadn’t thought of that).
Or it could work like Kirby’s Warp star item minus the explosion, and lots of landing lag.

Unrelated, I’m dedicating a bit more to playing DQ Rivals on Switch until we get DQ games on it. I’m starting to like it too. Can’t decide which leader to main. I love Alena and Jessica. Psaro is cool, and Terry is awesome.
Since Dragon Quest 9 , Zoom costs no MP ;)

You're playing dq rivals in japanese?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Ho, I never noticed that. :o good call!

Yeah! Although I understand SO LITTLE. (I may have studied Japanese, but if I ranked my fluency, it’d be: speaking > listening >>>> reading).

But since the keywords are in katakana, or as I know it, the foreign-word alphabet, then at least I get hints about the terms. (Also, the tutorial is fairly visual, so that helps). And my experience with mobile games helps me guess how the reward system works, etc (i’m basically playing Guess Who with the whole language).

I KNOW this game is fun, which is why I don’t want a dreaded language barrier to get in the way. :(

Already looked up a list of card names and translations just in case too.

I’ve unlocked two single player modes, training, and A.I. Matchmaking.
I’ll practice a lot here before going for online matches.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman

I will play after the E3, as I'm waiting to the see if they will release a English Version. But I maybe anyway play the Japanese version as I need to study more Japanese.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Who wants some more fanart. I know I do:

View attachment 222594

I'll find the direct tweet later once I have the time. Stay luminous friends!
It's nice to see some lightness ;)

On another note, about dragon quest popularity in the west. I wonder what it would take for people to see that it's still decently big here.
Any game that gets around 1 million sold somewhere says quite a bit, and the last 3 games in the series (ignoring X) have even outside japan.

DQ8: Apparently close or around 1 million with NA and EU combined.
DQ9: Over 1 million in the west
DQ11: Over 800 thousand in 2018. Probably quite a bit more now. (with way over 4 million sold in total when including japan)

Sure it's more than 3 times that number in japan, but compared to other games it's actually doing super well as a series elsewhere too, especially that DQ11 didn't even have good marketing.

Persona 5 only sold over 2 million in total, in the east and west combined. (it's getting closer to 3 million with all the buzz in 2019 now tho).
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has sold quite a bit less than 2 million total. And I don't think a single Castlevania game as ever come close to 2 million sold. (i dont know the details tho). And there's lots of other games that could be compared.

Anyway, I just felt like talking about it here, since i don't want to debate with it, just see what you guys think.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
It's nice to see some lightness ;)

On another note, about dragon quest popularity in the west. I wonder what it would take for people to see that it's still decently big here.
Any game that gets around 1 million sold somewhere says quite a bit, and the last 3 games in the series (ignoring X) have even outside japan.

DQ8: Apparently close or around 1 million with NA and EU combined.
DQ9: Over 1 million in the west
DQ11: Over 800 thousand in 2018. Probably quite a bit more now. (with way over 4 million sold in total when including japan)

Sure it's more than 3 times that number in japan, but compared to other games it's actually doing super well as a series elsewhere too, especially that DQ11 didn't even have good marketing.

Persona 5 only sold over 2 million in total, in the east and west combined. (it's getting closer to 3 million with all the buzz in 2019 now tho).
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has sold quite a bit less than 2 million total. And I don't think a single Castlevania game as ever come close to 2 million sold. (i dont know the details tho). And there's lots of other games that could be compared.

Anyway, I just felt like talking about it here, since i don't want to debate with it, just see what you guys think.
Is this because of the Sabi server rofl, I just had people talking about how DQ3 is apparently obscure in the west. I'm actually shook.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Is this because of the Sabi server rofl, I just had people talking about how DQ3 is apparently obscure in the west. I'm actually shook.
No it was mostly cuz of discussion in the SE thread. I just didnt feel like debating more so im not gonna. But I'm still curious about the subject. ;p

DQ3 didn't sell very well in the west, so it is a bit obscure. But Dragon Quest as a franchise is on pretty decent terms, i'd say myself.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
No it was mostly cuz of discussion in the SE thread. I just didnt feel like debating more so im not gonna. But I'm still curious about the subject. ;p

DQ3 didn't sell very well in the west, so it is a bit obscure. But Dragon Quest as a franchise is on pretty decent terms, i'd say myself.
It's basically what I said, that or people trying to figure out if Erdrick is even gonna be the name or just "Hero"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom