• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Hey guys , some news for you:

https://gematsu.com/2019/05/surpris...d-for-june-10-due-issue-of-weekly-shonen-jump

The June 10-due issue of Weekly Shonen Jump will contain “surprising news” on the Dragon Quest series, according to this week’s issue.

Dragon Quest series creator Yuji Horii previously said he would share information about the “Voice Drama” downloadable content for Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition. It has also been a while since the new Dragon Quest Monsters game for console was confirmed.

June 10 is the same day of the Smash E3 Tournamment.
I remember this magazine getting leaked early a lot. If this announcement is Erdrick is Smash and the magazine gets leaked, we could find out earlier?

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Does Shonen Jump have a history with promoting ips outside of theirs?
Shonen Jump promoted DQI and is one of the reasons the game became popular in the first place. It started off with poor sales until Shonen Jump came in.

I'm not sure if they still promote other IPs or DQ, but I think it's safe to think it could be game news. Considering their importance to DQ, it could also be really big news, but I don't want to get everyone's hopes up that high.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Shonen Jump promoted DQI and is one of the reasons the game became popular in the first place. It started off with poor sales until Shonen Jump came in.

I'm not sure if they still promote other IPs or DQ, but I think it's safe to think it could be game news. Considering their importance to DQ, it could also be really big news, but I don't want to get everyone's hopes up that high.
Thanks for this. I'm hopeful but I'll remain cautiously optimistic

Also:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Just wanted to share this personal tweet of mine. The DQ news just keeps on coming haha.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Vergeben said that we will see a Dragon Quest collection some time in the future.
And that DQ1, 2 and 3 are some of the games

Maybe we will see this in June 10?

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Vergeben said that we will see a Dragon Quest collection some time in the future.

June 10 is gonna be so hype. We got DQ day in a few days, so many new DQ news all of a sudden and now this. I say it's becoming a great year for DQ fans.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Thanks for this. I'm hopeful but I'll remain cautiously optimistic

Also:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Just wanted to share this personal tweet of mine. The DQ news just keeps on coming haha.
nice :)

Yes hopefully. I mean, it wouldn't be weird for them to talk about something dragon quest at the Square Enix conference, so all in all I'm pretty curious about it and any new dragon quest info would interest me, so i'm wondering about that and final fantasy. and then nintendo's the next day, so gonna be a great or interesting 2 days :)

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
nice :)

Yes hopefully. I mean, it wouldn't be weird for them to talk about something dragon quest at the Square Enix conference, so all in all I'm pretty curious about it and any new dragon quest info would interest me, so i'm wondering about that and final fantasy. and then nintendo's the next day, so gonna be a great or interesting 2 days :)
Add another day to that:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Add another day to that:

Hmm I wonder if they used the western date, but in any case im not impatient, im going to enjoy that dip of days. ;p

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Next days:
25/05 - Smash Tournament on the NY Nintendo Store
26-27/05 - Dragon Quest Day, Erdrick Trilogy and DQM Terry's Wonderland mobile sale
09/06 - Roto Day, Jump Edition with Dragon Quest News, Smash E3 Tournament
10/06 - Erdrick Day, Square Enix E3 Conference
11/06 - E3 Nintendo Direct

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
OMG so much news! ... announced to be announced!

This is certainly a huge step up from the drought of news! (Especially from Dragon Quest).

I don’t think we’ll get anything on DQ day, besides maybe yet another announcement of an announcement. But e3 is where it’s really at.

I have a theory:

The reason why Nintendo wanted to show Joker at the VGA is most likely because Persona 5 was nominated (and won) JRPG of the year if I’m not mistaken. P5 was most relevant at that point in time. DQXI was at that point 1 year old.

Come E3, Nintendo has other plans. Bigger plans... for Dragon Quest.
Joker was revealed at VGA because of its relevant factor then, and maybe to tie into the P5 spinoff coming to Switch.
However, the reason why Erdrick could be revealed at e3 is because Dragon Quest will be relevant the whole year! And it’s the best moment to show everyone what the series is all about, as well as reveal the DQ character to go with all this.

So, XIs
Ports
Manga
Movie
Maybe new anime adaptation?
DQ character in Smash

And many more, could be announced.
I get goosebumps from thinking about it.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Next days:
25/05 - Smash Tournament on the NY Nintendo Store
26-27/05 - Dragon Quest Day, Erdrick Trilogy and DQM Terry's Wonderland mobile sale
09/06 - Roto Day, Jump Edition with Dragon Quest News, Smash E3 Tournament
10/06 - Erdrick Day, Square Enix E3 Conference
11/06 - E3 Nintendo Direct
good got it!

Could someone explain to me about Roto day, it's a fan made holiday right?
I think it's fan made since I couldnt find much about it, but maybe it's still an important date for SE, who knows ;p

edit: here's another gif:

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
good got it!

I think it's fan made since I couldnt find much about it, but maybe it's still an important date for SE, who knows ;p
I also just completely forgot the meaning behind Roto as well rofl.

OMG so much news! ... announced to be announced!

This is certainly a huge step up from the drought of news! (Especially from Dragon Quest).

I don’t think we’ll get anything on DQ day, besides maybe yet another announcement of an announcement. But e3 is where it’s really at.

I have a theory:

The reason why Nintendo wanted to show Joker at the VGA is most likely because Persona 5 was nominated (and won) JRPG of the year if I’m not mistaken. P5 was most relevant at that point in time. DQXI was at that point 1 year old.

Come E3, Nintendo has other plans. Bigger plans... for Dragon Quest.
Joker was revealed at VGA because of its relevant factor then, and maybe to tie into the P5 spinoff coming to Switch.
However, the reason why Erdrick could be revealed at e3 is because Dragon Quest will be relevant the whole year! And it’s the best moment to show everyone what the series is all about, as well as reveal the DQ character to go with all this.

So, XIs
Ports
Manga
Movie
Maybe new anime adaptation?
DQ character in Smash

And many more, could be announced.
I get goosebumps from thinking about it.
This is my personal wish list:

XIS (Of course)
DQ1-3 ports (4-6 as well but just to be extra safe I'll just put 1-3)
Dai no Daiboken manga finally in the west (yes please)
DQ5 movie trailer (yes please and also reveal that it is a worldwide release)
A DQ adaptation/manga of DQ8 or 11 (would be cool if it was done by Dragon Garow Lee)
Erdrick/Luminary in smash (PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE)

also off topic, I really need to work on my revised moveset for Erdrick/Luminary haha

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
No matter what this ends up being, the prospect of a DQ announcement of any significance happening at E3 is very encouraging. That is, something brand-new globally, not just related to a localization. Even if it's just new XI S features or something, that's still a huge step up from where we've been.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Here is a little thing I thought this morning:
Unaltered timeline:
Dec: Erdrick announced in TGA
Jan: Development
Feb: Erdrick released
Mar: Joker announced in the P5R announcement
Apr: Development
May: Joker released
Jun: MS Character announced in E3 MS presentation
Jul: Development
Aug: MS Char released
Sep: 4th Character announcement in... I think PAX West it is in September, right?
Oct: Development
Nov: 4th Char released
Dec: 5th Char announced in TGA
Jan: development
Feb: 5th Char released (Full circle)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
SE just started a live about Hoshi no DQ game. The thumb is gold xD

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I remember this magazine getting leaked early a lot. If this announcement is Erdrick is Smash and the magazine gets leaked, we could find out earlier?
From what I remember of Jump Force character announcements, Weekly Shonen Jump usually gets leaked the Thursday before its release. As such, if Erdrick really is in the June 10th Jump, there's a decent chance that we could see it as early as June 6th.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
From what I remember of Jump Force character announcements, Weekly Shonen Jump usually gets leaked the Thursday before its release. As such, if Erdrick really is in the June 10th Jump, there's a decent chance that we could see it as early as June 6th.
I wouldn't expect the WSJ to leak anything substantial. At best it's going to be talking about a new project that may be announced within the next two weeks. These companies know that these magazines leak early, that why a lot of the major publications in Japan don't talk about Smash until almost a month later.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I wouldn't expect the WSJ to leak anything substantial. At best it's going to be talking about a new project that may be announced within the next two weeks. These companies know that these magazines leak early, that why a lot of the major publications in Japan don't talk about Smash until almost a month later.
That is true.. in the case of Jump Force, It’s their game, and Dai is their character, so he had to be advertised through the magazine that the whole game revolves around.

Smash though? Would be nice. I still have my hopes relatively high that, because of the Luffy-Erdrick cover, we’ll get something game related on the magazine.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
NomadLuminary NomadLuminary Teeb147 Teeb147 My people, where do you find all of this art?
There's a good bunch of art just around, but then japanese twitters is where there's a lot more to find, since it's where it's most popular :p

I havent looked for much art lately, but i definitely always like seeing some cool ones, especially characters i like. New dragon quest news will mean more new art too :D

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Wait what?

Also I just made the second version of the Erdrick moveset. Not too many changes though.

Erdrick Template 2.0
I couldn't look at the bottom that you added, my computer even ended up freezing and i had to restart :p (might not be related to it, dunno ;p)
But I still like seeing the mixed moveset. I'm not sure about a shield move for forward-air though, I think it should have more range, but it could still be neat if it had invincibility on it tho. (like palutena's b-air)

edit: Also, another thing while im replying to you. Turns out that it's not impossible to solo DQ3 for the snes version. They toned down some stuff, like boss regen (etc), so it can be done and you gain more exp solo so it may not take forever to grind.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I couldn't look at the bottom that you added, my computer even ended up freezing and i had to restart :p (might not be related to it, dunno ;p)
But I still like seeing the mixed moveset. I'm not sure about a shield move for forward-air though, I think it should have more range, but it could still be neat if it had invincibility on it tho. (like palutena's b-air)

edit: Also, another thing while im replying to you. Turns out that it's not impossible to solo DQ3 for the snes version. They toned down some stuff, like boss regen (etc), so it can be done and you gain more exp solo so it may not take forever to grind.
To be honest I was running out of ideas, so I was thinking for the 3.0 template to be a literal fusion of all of our ideas.

Also that solo run. Probably gonna call it the CHADRICK run

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was thinking about how DQ is special to japan, and if a character from the series makes it into the game, I feel Sakurai would take a lot of love and care into making the character not just good for dq fans but fun overall. I dont know what he would think to make the character special too, but I definitely think the character would be in good hands.

D

Deleted member

I was thinking about how DQ is special to japan, and if a character from the series makes it into the game, I feel Sakurai would take a lot of love and care into making the character not just good for dq fans but fun overall. I dont know what he would think to make the character special too, but I definitely think the character would be in good hands.
Given what we saw from Persona, a series Sakurai has gone on record for enjoying (enough to attend the live concerts), I think Dragon Quest, a series Sakurai also enjoys, is going to be handled with about as much love as Square can let him.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Given what we saw from Persona, a series Sakurai has gone on record for enjoying (enough to attend the live concerts), I think Dragon Quest, a series Sakurai also enjoys, is going to be handled with about as much love as Square can let him.
Ya that too, for being a series he personally likes. I'm just saying japan could be giving him spirit power as a culture too ;p

Even if I think a persona character would've made more sense if able to switch between some personas, at least the mechanics have a lot to them. I'm really curious what he could pull off with erdrick :)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Ya that too, for being a series he personally likes. I'm just saying japan could be giving him spirit power as a culture too ;p

Even if I think a persona character would've made more sense if able to switch between some personas, at least the mechanics have a lot to them. I'm really curious what he could pull off with erdrick :)
Honestly I'm hoping if Tension does get in, that it isnt the way we expect it. I think I had enough of meters rofl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom