• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Honestly I'm hoping if Tension does get in, that it isnt the way we expect it. I think I had enough of meters rofl.
After joker i really dont think it'd be another meter.

One idea that could be interesting would be something that has to do with exp and level ups, but that'd have problems unless it'd be pretty different. Anything that has permanent powering up doesnt really work well since matches can be different lengths depending on how many stocks or time there is.
And other than that i think we mentioned quite a few options for something special.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
After joker i really dont think it'd be another meter.

One idea that could be interesting would be something that has to do with exp and level ups, but that'd have problems unless it'd be pretty different. Anything that has permanent powering up doesnt really work well since matches can be different lengths depending on how many stocks or time there is.
And other than that i think we mentioned quite a few options for something special.
Exp and level ups as a concept huh? I'm curious to see what kind of take that would be.

Edit: I just realized that heroes are the only characters in which exp is important to their kit if builder logic still applies.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Exp and level ups as a concept huh? I'm curious to see what kind of take that would be.

Edit: I just realized that heroes are the only characters in which exp is important to their kit if builder logic still applies.
When I think about a case where they'd use chibi heroes, for some reason i could see a lot more flexibility in something interesting. (maybe unrelated)

If a character was able to level up i think it should have to be something like you go back to lvl.1 when you lose a stock. That way it'd be fair no matter how much time or stocks a match has. I would figure that'd make either the levels pop off easily or there's only a few before it takes a lot of exp to get to it. So maybe we'd only see anywhere from 4 levels in a regular match, as an average per stock i mean.
Hits could count for exp too, i guess, so that it would actually happen without having to ko someone. I dont know if there should be exp when someone gets hit, but enough should allow level ups, and you'd see them pop off when someone gets it, so it'd feel like in an rpg, and that could grant more stats, tho i dunno which ones would be affected, but you'd be more powerful and maybe even new spells as you level.

Maybe an extra spell that can be set in the magic menu ;). I know heal could be neat to see pop up and then youre like hey i can heal! and then people going after you before you heal too much dmg :p Of course that coul be well balanced tho to not be too good, like anything. Maybe even the mp system to be part of that. And then maybe when you hit someone you'd see numbers come up for the damage, like in the game, and you could also see other stuff, like crits, which would cause more dmg, and those could either be random or not, but when that'd happen maybe you'd see +mp to add to the mana regen.

If they went with mp (I'm surprised im more open to it now), they could make it regen automatically, but slow enough that it'd be worth going in for attacks and trying to crit, or there could be another way to recover it too. Im thinking it should list the mp in a way that feels rpg-like,. If there'd be exp, i wonder where that should pop up to be shown. Oh, and i just thought, maybe level ups could refill some mp too.

Anyway, all just ideas :D

Edit: Now that I've thought about it, I might be motivated to develop that a little bit and turn it into an erdrick mechanics set (rather than move set).

Like, a clean hit could be worth around 35 exp points, and probably a lot less for hits on shields. The first level up could be 100 pts to reach so 3 hits would be enough to get the first level. Then that would go up so the next levels would take a bit more.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
When I think about a case where they'd use chibi heroes, for some reason i could see a lot more flexibility in something interesting. (maybe unrelated)

If a character was able to level up i think it should have to be something like you go back to lvl.1 when you lose a stock. That way it'd be fair no matter how much time or stocks a match has. I would figure that'd make either the levels pop off easily or there's only a few before it takes a lot of exp to get to it. So maybe we'd only see anywhere from 4 levels in a regular match, as an average per stock i mean.
Hits could count for exp too, i guess, so that it would actually happen without having to ko someone. I dont know if there should be exp when someone gets hit, but enough should allow level ups, and you'd see them pop off when someone gets it, so it'd feel like in an rpg, and that could grant more stats, tho i dunno which ones would be affected, but you'd be more powerful and maybe even new spells as you level.

Maybe an extra spell that can be set in the magic menu ;). I know heal could be neat to see pop up and then youre like hey i can heal! and then people going after you before you heal too much dmg :p Of course that coul be well balanced tho to not be too good, like anything. Maybe even the mp system to be part of that. And then maybe when you hit someone you'd see numbers come up for the damage, like in the game, and you could also see other stuff, like crits, which would cause more dmg, and those could either be random or not, but when that'd happen maybe you'd see +mp to add to the mana regen.

If they went with mp (I'm surprised im more open to it now), they could make it regen automatically, but slow enough that it'd be worth going in for attacks and trying to crit, or there could be another way to recover it too. Im thinking it should list the mp in a way that feels rpg-like,. If there'd be exp, i wonder where that should pop up to be shown. Oh, and i just thought, maybe level ups could refill some mp too.

Anyway, all just ideas :D

Edit: Now that I've thought about it, I might be motivated to develop that a little bit and turn it into an erdrick mechanics set (rather than move set).

Like, a clean hit could be worth around 35 exp points, and probably a lot less for hits on shields. The first level up could be 100 pts to reach so 3 hits would be enough to get the first level. Then that would go up so the next levels would take a bit more.
Please do, because this sounds really cool but also really complicated rofl

D

Deleted member

Havent kept up here in a while :b

Tension would be great as a three or four stage charging, it would be cool that in the final stage it could allow charged smash attacks.

MP depending how its recharged would make the character more offensive or defensive oriented as well. Im more partial to Erdrick regaining MP with attacks if its implemented.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

Tension would be great as a three or four stage charging, it would be cool that in the final stage it could allow charged smash attacks.

MP depending how its recharged would make the character more offensive or defensive oriented as well. Im more partial to Erdrick regaining MP with attacks if its implemented.
I actually had that idea for my first template, where the tension is charged in stages like you mentioned before. The idea of Erdrick regaining MP with attacks would also be a good idea too.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
i would rather have slime be in the game
And I would rather erdrick or solo/sophia ;p

Thanks for bringing that up, it's something I agree with especially for the competitive side, I'd rather people train to attack than to try to play more evasive. I do like the idea of mp on attacks a lot, the only thing is that since i was also trying to see how a level up system could work, I was focusing on the exp being on attacks. And really i dont think the crit idea, as fun as it is, would work great if it was random, so whether by all attacks or a certain way that isn't just pasive i think it's better to gear it in that direction.

I dont think i would mind seeing exp and mp pop up when i hit someone tho, so I kinda like the idea. I think it could be fun if there was a range of how much mp we could get from that. I like mixed styles, and a hero has a mixed style, so this system would also make it that you'd have to go attack in, and not just use spells. But the spells would have to be good.

As for tension, I still like the idea of putting it in a 'getting hit' mechanic so that it would free up down-b :p
I do think it'd be fun for it to work on any 1 attack or spell, so yeah smash attacks too should count.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

Thanks for bringing that up, it's something I agree with especially for the competitive side, I'd rather people train to attack than to try to play more evasive. I do like the idea of mp on attacks a lot, the only thing is that since i was also trying to see how a level up system could work, I was focusing on the exp being on attacks. But really i dont think the crit idea, as fun as it is, would work great if it was random, so whether by all attacks or a certain way that isn't just pasive i think it's better to gear it in that direction.

I dont think i would mind seeing exp and mp pop up when i hit someone tho, so I kinda like the idea. I think it could be fun if there was a range of how much mp we could get from that. I like mixed styles, and a hero has a mixed style, so this system would also make it that you'd have to go attack in, and not just use spells. But the spells would have to be good.

As for tension, I still like the idea of putting it in a 'getting hit' mechanic so that it would free up down-b :p
I do think it'd be fun for it to work on any 1 attack or spell, so yeah smash attacks too should count.
What if the MP mechanic works where every time you get hit, it decreases and every time you hit it increases. Which not only increases the potency of your attacks, specials, and smash attacks but also adds effects. For example, if you do a forward tilt (on mine it's a simple overhead sword slash), it initially starts as a straight attack but max MP increases the potency and adds a flame effect which creates flame slash. Every neutral attack you hit with neutral offers regen (like miracle slash although that's a stretch).

This can also add to the smash attack Idea I had, where if you do a forward smash, Erdrick does a brightsplitter which is essentially a getsuga tenshou in Bleach terms. Either way the possibilities of having that would be really cool. However, how would it be balanced if you have something like Tension? For the EXP idea....Actually what if the MP mechanic IS the EXP mechanic. Like they are both the same meter.

D

Deleted member

Thanks for bringing that up, it's something I agree with especially for the competitive side, I'd rather people train to attack than to try to play more evasive. I do like the idea of mp on attacks a lot, the only thing is that since i was also trying to see how a level up system could work, I was focusing on the exp being on attacks. And really i dont think the crit idea, as fun as it is, would work great if it was random, so whether by all attacks or a certain way that isn't just pasive i think it's better to gear it in that direction.

I think either the MP or the level up idea sound nice, but together they seem maybe a little bit too complex to have in one character. The character would become strong during the battle and would certainly have quite the advantage if they have early kills with the level up as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What if the MP mechanic works where every time you get hit, it decreases and every time you hit it increases. Which not only increases the potency of your attacks, specials, and smash attacks but also adds effects. For example, if you do a forward tilt (on mine it's a simple overhead sword slash), it initially starts as a straight attack but max MP increases the potency and adds a flame effect which creates flame slash. Every neutral attack you hit with neutral offers regen (like miracle slash although that's a stretch).

This can also add to the smash attack Idea I had, where if you do a forward smash, Erdrick does a brightsplitter which is essentially a getsuga tenshou in Bleach terms. Either way the possibilities of having that would be really cool. However, how would it be balanced if you have something like Tension? For the EXP idea....Actually what if the MP mechanic IS the EXP mechanic. Like they are both the same meter.
Some of that doesn't feel right to me. It's an interesting idea but there's nothing in DQ or rpgs that's like that, it just feels a bit too foreign.
Levels could increase some things, but mp doesn't power up someone, it's a ressrouce for magic. If an rpg ever tried that tho i'd be curious to play and see how it feels.
The tension is what should go up and power something, because that's more true to the game. There's a lot of flexibility for smash, but i think it's still good to make it match when possible.

You lost me at having mp and exp be the same thing. That's... weird, haha. Level and magic being tied together... i'll have to think on that a bit at some point ;p

I think there's some of those things that can work, it's just about reframing a few things.

I think either the MP or the level up idea sound nice, but together they seem maybe a little bit too complex to have in one character. The character would become strong during the battle and would certainly have quite the advantage if they have early kills with the level up as well.
I dont think it'd be too complex. Not more than joker's gun-play and modifiers with arsene. MP would really just be it's own thing, a ressource for spells, and the max of it could go up by a set number of points on level up, that's about as much as they'd complicated each other. other than that they'd have no bearing on each other.

I guess people would maybe have to keep track of the mp, but the levels really just make you more powerful so there isn't much to think about there. Getting new spells and using them might take a little getting used to, but it would be fun too.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Some of that doesn't feel right to me. It's an interesting idea but there's nothing in DQ or rpgs that's like that, it just feels a bit too foreign.
Levels could increase some things, but mp doesn't power up someone, it's a ressrouce for magic. If an rpg ever tried that tho i'd be curious to play and see how it feels.
The tension is what should go up and power something, because that's more true to the game. There's a lot of flexibility for smash, but i think it's still good to make it match when possible.

You lost me at having mp and exp be the same thing. That's... weird, haha. Level and magic being tied together... i'll have to think on that a bit at some point ;p

I think there's some of those things that can work, it's just about reframing a few things.

I dont think it'd be too complex. Not more than joker's gun-play and modifiers with arsene. MP would really just be it's own thing, a ressource for spells, and the max of it could go up by a set number of points on level up, that's about as much as they'd complicated each other. other than that they'd have no bearing on each other.

I guess people would maybe have to keep track of the mp, but the levels really just make you more powerful so there isn't much to think about there. Getting new spells and using them might take a little getting used to, but it would be fun too.
Well when I said MP to empower an attack, I was just saying like Flame slash, it's a sword slash powered by MP. Also yeah, the way I described it does sound pretty confusing rofl. Maybe the level up mechanic could be just when you take someone's stock and you get more powerful?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well when I said MP to empower an attack, I was just saying like Flame slash, it's a sword slash powered by MP. Also yeah, the way I described it does sound pretty confusing rofl. Maybe the level up mechanic could be just when you take someone's stock and you get more powerful?
Oh ok, yeah there could be a way to change some attacks into skills, I'd enjoy that :)

Sometimes people have 1 or 2-stock matches. (and most common are 3-stock ones). That's why I was saying it's better to make the leveling up be about attacks, not kos. You might also be unlucky and not ko anyone and not have leveled up at all. I think it'd be fun for newbies as well if it were on attacks.

And just like the addictively fun elements of rpgs, you'd feel like you're gaining something from what you do. And especially if you'd get both exp and mp on attacks, that'd be quite rewarding XD

I think it could feel like attacking to get a chance to use the magic, as well as get something towards getting more powerful. gaining spells sounds fun too.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Oh ok, yeah there could be a way to change some attacks into skills, I'd enjoy that :)

Sometimes people have 1 or 2-stock matches. (and most common are 3-stock ones). That's why I was saying it's better to make the leveling up be about attacks, not kos. You might also be unlucky and not ko anyone and not have leveled up at all. I think it'd be fun for newbies as well if it were on attacks.

And just like the addictively fun elements of rpgs, you'd feel like you're gaining something from what you do. And especially if you'd get both exp and mp on attacks, that'd be quite rewarding XD

I think it could feel like attacking to get a chance to use the magic, as well as get something towards getting more powerful. gaining spells sounds fun too.
Imagine if we still get a "critical" mechanic with Erdrick along with those mechanics, where within a certain percentage (say around 100%), the knockback of all of his attacks increases dramatically.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don’t know if this has been mentioned at all but...

Amiibo have a level up mechanic already. I’m not sure what causes them to level up, but we could have something similar.

Also, how about Level Up system as a comeback mechanic?
It probably sounds cheap as heck, but basically if you’re able to knock away an opponent who’s racking up damage on you like crazy, you level up faster.
(Just like how when you beat tough opponents in DQ, you gain way more eco than fighting foes at your own level).

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Imagine if we still get a "critical" mechanic with Erdrick along with those mechanics, where within a certain percentage (say around 100%), the knockback of all of his attacks increases dramatically.
I do like the idea of critical hits in my mind but it'd be hard to make it balanced well in the game. Not saying it can't be done though, so could be cool :)

Also I was thinking and it could technically be possible to get exp both on attacks and on kos. It'd just have to be checked that kos dont get someone too powerful too fast.

I was even thinking that it could work to have level ups stay even after you lose a stock, as long as there's an early level cap, so that you couldn't get powerful beyond a certain point. Like the averge could be to reach that top level in the first two stocks, that way most games someone would get there, and it wouldn't be overpowered in games that last longer.

I don’t know if this has been mentioned at all but...

Amiibo have a level up mechanic already. I’m not sure what causes them to level up, but we could have something similar.

Also, how about Level Up system as a comeback mechanic?
It probably sounds cheap as heck, but basically if you’re able to knock away an opponent who’s racking up damage on you like crazy, you level up faster.
(Just like how when you beat tough opponents in DQ, you gain way more eco than fighting foes at your own level).
Yeh see they already have something they can work with :p
Im not sure about that comeback mechanic, but if overall the character is in a deficit, getting more exp from things doesn't sound that bad. I wouldnt expect it but still a neat idea.

One more thing i thought about is I was wondering about items, and I think exp could be gained from picking them up, but it wouldn't be much, that way people would still have incentive to go for erdrick's moves. :)

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I do like the idea of critical hits in my mind but it'd be hard to make it balanced well in the game. Not saying it can't be done though, so could be cool :)

Also I was thinking and it could technically be possible to get exp both on attacks and on kos. It'd just have to be checked that kos dont get someone too powerful too fast.

I was even thinking that it could work to have level ups stay even after you lose a stock, as long as there's an early level cap, so that you couldn't get powerful beyond a certain point. Like the averge could be to reach that top level in the first two stocks, that way most games someone would get there, and it wouldn't be overpowered in games that last longer.

Yeh see they already have something they can work with :p
Im not sure about that comeback mechanic, but if overall the character is in a deficit, getting more exp from things doesn't sound that bad. I wouldnt expect it but still a neat idea.

One more thing i thought about is I was wondering about items, and I think exp could be gained from picking them up, but it wouldn't be much, that way people would still have incentive to go for erdrick's moves. :)
I personally don't think items showing up is a good idea, as it means we might have a Phoenix Wright situation there like in MvC3. The curious thing about the level ups, is once it hits the cap, how much stronger would he be truly.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I personally don't think items showing up is a good idea, as it means we might have a Phoenix Wright situation there like in MvC3. The curious thing about the level ups, is once it hits the cap, how much stronger would he be truly.
I dont know what happened with phoenix wright there. I meant smash items. because casual matches would be part of it, and using items could either give no exp, or when you pick them up. It'd be too complicated beyond that I think. Maybe 5 or 10 exp each time.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I dont know what happened with phoenix wright there. I meant smash items. because casual matches would be part of it, and using items could either give no exp, or when you pick them up. It'd be too complicated beyond that I think. Maybe 5 or 10 exp each time.
Oh that's what you meant. Sorry I thought you meant like literal pick ups that show up randomly during a non item battle.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oh that's what you meant. Sorry I thought you meant like literal pick ups that show up randomly during a non item battle.
Yeah. Altho if dq items would be a thing, we have the merchant class to justify digging up some :p

Speaking of, i never used to think the merchant was useful but the service call skill they get can be life savers :O

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Yeah. Altho if dq items would be a thing, we have the merchant class to justify digging up some :p

Speaking of, i never used to think the merchant was useful but the service call skill they get can be life savers :O
Speaking of Merchant, i have yet to see a moveset that uses the party mechanic in smash bros haha

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Speaking of Merchant, i have yet to see a moveset that uses the party mechanic in smash bros haha
uhh, well there's ice climbers :p And Peach has Toad coming up. Oh and zelda's down-b kinda acts like another character doing something. But yeah, we dont have any one that summons an ally to do something interesting.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
uhh, well there's ice climbers :p And Peach has Toad coming up. Oh and zelda's down-b kinda acts like another character doing something. But yeah, we dont have any one that summons an ally to do something interesting.
I meant a made up one for Erdrick, haven't seen that floating around at all. Maybe for a future template, I should make that a special instead of the slime summon :thinking:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I meant a made up one for Erdrick, haven't seen that floating around at all. Maybe for a future template, I should make that a special instead of the slime summon :thinking:
Heh, yeah, well i could see anything from a slime summon to any of the party members. If not just for skills they come do and then disappear, they could act a bit like assist trophies but a shorter version. I dont know what would summon them tho.

Martial artist could come in and throw a flying kick and a few punches. Warrior could be some defensive cover a bit, and just do a few normal strikes without moving around much. The Merchant could come dig up a few items that erdrick can use, maybe just a medicinal herb and something else. The thief could just throw a boomerang or use a whip to do something from afar, and a cleric could make a healing spell to heal a bit. The mage copuld just use a spell or other, and then the goof-off would do something special or ridiculous that either doesnt always help much or unpredictable.

Just some quick ideas to start the train on that. I'm sure there's other good ones out there.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Heh, yeah, well i could see anything from a slime summon to any of the party members. If not just for skills they come do and then disappear, they could act a bit like assist trophies but a shorter version. I dont know what would summon them tho.

Martial artist could come in and throw a flying kick and a few punches. Warrior could be some defensive cover a bit, and just do a few normal strikes without moving around much. The Merchant could come dig up a few items that erdrick can use, maybe just a medicinal herb and something else. The thief could just throw a boomerang or use a whip to do something from afar, and a cleric could make a healing spell to heal a bit. The mage copuld just use a spell or other, and then the goof-off would do something special or ridiculous that either doesnt always help much or unpredictable.

Just some quick ideas to start the train on that. I'm sure there's other good ones out there.
Tbh, I might just streamline Erdrick for V3 altogether. Making him this complex just makes my brain hurt rofl.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Tbh, I might just streamline Erdrick for V3 altogether. Making him this complex just makes my brain hurt rofl.
haha, you shouldn't try putting all ideas into one. And the party mechanic itself probably would need work put into it by itself first.
It could be as simple as just one button tho. Like down-b, and then either a random member comes or you can control it with the direction while holding it. There'd be a decent cooldown until it could be used again tho.

It's not one of my favorite ideas for a moveset, but it's the only one i could think for party members being in their moveset (that isn't a final smash)

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
haha, you shouldn't try putting all ideas into one. And the party mechanic itself probably would need work put into it by itself first.
It could be as simple as just one button tho. Like down-b, and then either a random member comes or you can control it with the direction while holding it. There'd be a decent cooldown until it could be used again tho.

It's not one of my favorite ideas for a moveset, but it's the only one i could think for party members being in their moveset (that isn't a final smash)
Well one thing I'm happy about is that the second version of my moveset template is getting a lot of positives so far. With a couple of things they want to see changed.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
This is it, it's the time to pray for some DQ News, the Dragon Quest Day is just 25 minutes to start.

D

Deleted member

This is it, it's the time to pray for some DQ News, the Dragon Quest Day is just 25 minutes to start.
I'll be keeping in touch for what happens. My expectations are pretty low for announcements, but they could announce a game is being made

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
There is just so much fanart. I'm not posting the direct tweets because I want to show the majesty of this stuff:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There is just so much fanart. I'm not posting the direct tweets because I want to show the majesty of this stuff:

I think that's one thing we'll be able to look forward to today and tomorow, a new surge of dq art :)

edit: I'm not sure where this music video is from, maybe from a live action, but i saw it on a japanese twitter and even though it's not the greatest music there's a bit of cosplaying in it, so thought i'd share it:

I also found this tweet about some dragon quest band. I wonder who's hosting that concert :O :)

"I've been looking forward to the Dragon Quest Band concert...! "

And here's an extra pic I just came across :)

https://twitter.com/my_arus/status/1132663742431342592

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom