• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hey, I found this cool trailer with our boy in it!

Also, it's great to have you aboard, ShotoStar!

We should really start posting this every time someone new joins the party.
Thanks, I'm glad that's an extra video to show a bit of Erdrick fighting, in 3d.
The Monster Battle series isn't something the west would be familiar with (including myself). The arcades of them give out cards for winning stuff, which is kinda neat :p

D

Deleted member

Y'know what? Sign me up on that support list too please, While I'm not the biggest fan of DQ I think it has it's own merits to be in Smash and Erdrick or whomever could have a fun move set. Erdrick is cool and while I prefer Geno I think both should get in as they both have their own pros and cons.

So yeah I'll support Erdrick too, I mean I already bet my account on him being in so why not right?
Great to have you here. It's an interesting case, since they would both get in for opposite reasons while still having their reasoning be strong. But I agree it would be awesome having them both.
Hey, I found this cool trailer with our boy in it!

Also, it's great to have you aboard, ShotoStar!

We should really start posting this every time someone new joins the party.
As usual japan gets all the cool stuff in their arcades.... lol
Thanks, I'm glad that's an extra video to show a bit of Erdrick fighting, in 3d.
The Monster Battle series isn't something the west would be familiar with (including myself). The arcades of them give out cards for winning stuff, which is kinda neat :p
A fair amount of japanese arcade games actually do incorporate physical cards in some form. I'm not sure about how they work for DQMBR, or if they're just for collecting, but it is a somewhat common thing

Last edited by a moderator:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I really like the idea of new members being greeted with a link to a "character joined" jingle from Dragon Quest. Seems like a thing we should have been doing from the very beginning.

...At first I was going to link the jingle from the DS remakes of the Zenithia trilogy but sadly it doesn't seem to be on YouTube. So next time this happens, I'll greet them with "[user] joined the party!" and link the words to this.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
You know seeing that vid, I'm starting to wonder if Erdrick should still maintain this design:

Or the one we see in crossovers or arcades

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Surprised I've never posted in this thread before. So, um, hi.

I've been meaning to get into the Dragon Quest series for a while actually. They seem like my kind of games. :)
welcome! if you're into traditional turn based jrpgs in any capacity then you should be right at home with this series, as for where to start i would suggest DQ5 on DS or DQ8 on 3DS. i would say DQ11 as well but the superior switch version is releasing soon, so i would say wait for that

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Hmm, well in particular, I was thinking of starting out with VIII.
VIII is one of the best places to start. While XI is still considered the best since it's the most recent and also the most accessible, VIII is very popular and shares many things with XI as well. Before XI existed, this was considered the go to.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hmm, well in particular, I was thinking of starting out with VIII.
8 is also good to start with because it's more straightforward.

Personally I like the games in the series that have class systems because to me that adds more things to fiddle with and decide for the team.
Really I think it also depends on which game you can get ;p

Last edited:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
You know seeing that vid, I'm starting to wonder if Erdrick should still maintain this design:

Or the one we see in crossovers or arcades

I'm assuming a mixture, although I'd still prefer the Famicom design.

Speaking of which, I found this art of him on the DQ wiki, and, man, is it great.

DQIII_Iron_Armour.png

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I'm assuming a mixture, although I'd still prefer the Famicom design.

Speaking of which, I found this art of him on the DQ wiki, and, man, is it great.

View attachment 219384
Slightly off topic but not really, classic Toriyama is always my favorite art style. Just the perfect amount of roundness without making the proportions geometric.

So good

EDIT: I remember someone posted Dragon Quest fan manga and I found one for our beloved legendary hero.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
on the vid:
Nice showing of some magic spells (zap/Kazap, orb of light) and definitely that final smash material, Gigastrash...slash... don’t remember which one is it. But it’d cool to know they are willing to update Erdrick’s move set.

As for the design.
I stand by my belief that they’re going for the one from the video, which is the most recent representation of Erdrick.

Which one do I prefer though?
Tough one. I have a reason to love them all.

Famicom: It’s darn chibi Goku, but most importantly, another kid swordsman, which is always cool.

Super Famicom / Game Boy: Sword Gohan and Videl!

Modern Erdrick: I love this design because it shows how Toriyama’s art has evolved (... this is still his art, right?) and it’s a good tangent to Dragon Ball’s much more subtle graphical evolution. Very crisp and vibrant. I just love it. (Though I have mixed feelings about brunette Erdrick).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
EDIT: I remember someone posted Dragon Quest fan manga and I found one for our beloved legendary hero.

I like the expression on his face for the cover. I like the lightness of it and reminds me of when goku is more casual, and funny :)

on the vid:
Nice showing of some magic spells (zap/Kazap, orb of light) and definitely that final smash material, Gigastrash...slash... don’t remember which one is it. But it’d cool to know they are willing to update Erdrick’s move set.

As for the design.
I stand by my belief that they’re going for the one from the video, which is the most recent representation of Erdrick.

Which one do I prefer though?
Tough one. I have a reason to love them all.

Famicom: It’s darn chibi Goku, but most importantly, another kid swordsman, which is always cool.

Super Famicom / Game Boy: Sword Gohan and Videl!

Modern Erdrick: I love this design because it shows how Toriyama’s art has evolved (... this is still his art, right?) and it’s a good tangent to Dragon Ball’s much more subtle graphical evolution. Very crisp and vibrant. I just love it. (Though I have mixed feelings about brunette Erdrick).
That was a huge freaking strike. So I'd say Gigagash, tho im not sure. I think gigastrash was just used in the dai manga. could be wrong.

I like something about each design, but I do like the black hair and purple cape better overall i think.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I like the expression on his face for the cover. I like the lightness of it and reminds me of when goku is more casual, and funny :)

That was a huge freaking strike. So I'd say Gigagash, tho im not sure. I think gigastrash was just used in the dai manga. could be wrong.

I like something about each design, but I do like the black hair and purple cape better overall i think.
Hopefully, the palette swaps will have both! And others such as NES colors, etc.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I know we've mostly talked about main series heroes for possible costumes or more, but I think DQHeroes also has a chance. The main characters would fit well enough.

Luceus and Aurora (from DQH1)

And Lazarel & Teresa (DQH2)

Teresa is probably one of my fave picks for another female character from DQ, and could work better than a dragon quest 9 avatar :)
They can use swords and other stuff, so it could work.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know we've mostly talked about main series heroes for possible costumes or more, but I think DQHeroes also has a chance. The main characters would fit well enough.

Luceus and Aurora (from DQH1)

And Lazarel & Teresa (DQH2)

Teresa is probably one of my fave picks for another female character from DQ, and could work better than a dragon quest 9 avatar :)
They can use swords and spells, so everything works.
Heroes 2 also has the class system, so they could probably draw abilities and weapons from different classes.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Heroes 2 also has the class system, so they could probably draw abilities and weapons from different classes.
Yeah. And the class system itself in DQ is pretty fun to think about for smash (not that i expect it)

Another thing that's cool with DQH is the costumes :)

DQH_Teresa_Midenhall.jpg

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I like every design for Erdrick I've seen but all I'm looking for, if Erdrick does get into Smash, is that both male and female genders are playable.

Brunette, black hair, purple scarf, red scarf, chibi, non chibi, whatever, just don't forget about female Erdrick.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I like every design for Erdrick I've seen but all I'm looking for, if Erdrick does get into Smash, is that both male and female genders are playable.

Brunette, black hair, purple scarf, red scarf, chibi, non chibi, whatever, just don't forget about female Erdrick.
I'm glad someone else feels that way.
I'm sure it's a given that I feel the same XD

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Slightly off topic but not really, classic Toriyama is always my favorite art style. Just the perfect amount of roundness without making the proportions geometric.

So good

That is one NAISU cover art. Thinking of making it my PP.
I love the character classes in DQ3 so much and how they look.
Female warrior is my favorite, but Rouge the Human down there has grown on me more lately.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That is one NAISU cover art. Thinking of making it my PP.
I love the character classes in DQ3 so much and how they look.
Female warrior is my favorite, but Rouge the Human down there has grown on me more lately.
I was surprised by how much I like their designs too. There's maybe just Cleric that's kinda plain, i find.
And other than that I just wish the Goof-off class would be more useful xD

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I was surprised by how much I like their designs too. There's maybe just Cleric that's kinda plain, i find.
And other than that I just wish the Goof-off class would be more useful xD

I legitimately think those designs are some of Toriyamas best. So recognizable and life like after 30 years.

D

Deleted member

So good

I really like how Erdrick is drawn in that second picture it reminds me a lot of the DBZ-Era Toriyama which is my favorite.

And if we're talking about designs over all I do like that Blue, Yellow and Purple design the most so when talking about which version of Erdrick we should get my go to choice is that one.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I really like how Erdrick is drawn in that second picture it reminds me a lot of the DBZ-Era Toriyama which is my favorite.

And if we're talking about designs over all I do like that Blue, Yellow and Purple design the most so when talking about which version of Erdrick we should get my go to choice is that one.
4988601339865_3_large.jpg

Yeah I think it's safe. Plus many of us, yours truly too, loves it too.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah do we know when DQXI S is coming out? Cause I'm thinking of picking that up when it releases for Switch. I've given the previous DQ games a try and they were good but I prefer 3D RPGs over Top Down RPGs. I've even seen some Gameplay of DQXI and I enjoyed what I saw so I'm planning on buying it.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah do we know when DQXI S is coming out? Cause I'm thinking of picking that up when it releases for Switch. I've given the previous DQ games a try and they were good but I prefer 3D RPGs over Top Down RPGs. I've even seen some Gameplay of DQXI and I enjoyed what I saw so I'm planning on buying it.
Nothing about a concrete date yet, only that it comes this year.

And I want to pick it at launch too.

D

Deleted member

Nothing about a concrete date yet, only that it comes this year.

And I want to pick it at launch too.
Well whenever it comes out I'll probably buy it be it at Launch or around Christmas, It certainly looks interesting enough. It is a good place to start though right? Cause I heard it was but I'm not entirely sure.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Last I heard, “This Fall”.

I can’t wait for XIs. It’ll be my 3rd 3D DQ (4th if I count VII on 3DS, but I really hate that camera angle so I tend to not consider it one).
And I really enjoyed VIII which apparently means I’ll love XI maybe even more.

Last edited:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
My dream Erdrick appearance would be his figurine design with the arcade colors as alts. (And of course, Female Erdrick :p)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well whenever it comes out I'll probably buy it be it at Launch or around Christmas, It certainly looks interesting enough. It is a good place to start though right? Cause I heard it was but I'm not entirely sure.
It's a good one for sure, but the down side would be that it's a bit more like other rpgs so when you go to play older dragon quest games some people might feel like they're pretty different, like not being able to see your party members in battle and less relations in the party. It's no problem if you like those types of retro games, but for people who have trouble going backwards i recommend playing them in order (the remakes tho).

Although DQXI S will have a feature to play with retro graphics, so that could be a way to warm up to classic style too XD

Another small thing is that DQXI is easier. For some that's a good thing. I find it dampens the traditional experience a little. Which is to grind at least a level or two before new sections and wanting gold to get new equipment.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright y'all. I finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and that was like 55 hours of my life. I looked up how long it took to beat DQ 8 and it was about the same length. As a result, I'm gonna take about a month and a half break from big RPGs. Make no mistake that when I return to the genre in July, it'll be with Dragon Quest 8.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
This fall.

As a guy who has his profile named after two games he loves (Metal Gear and Dragon Quest 11), I can pretty much tell you that DQ11 is gonna knock your socks off.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
After talking and thinking about the classes in DQ3 again I kinda feel like playing it sometime. It'd be a good time too before e3.

I'm just not sure I want to play the gbc version like i thought about. Maybe i'll do both, lol.
I'm tempted to put a goof-off in my team just for the lols and fun of it, But I also kinda want to do a solid team. I'll see if I get to it :p

Did you know that in the nes version you can lose your merchant character permanently (for a particular story event)?
I think that's a warning anyone should know if they plan to play that version.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
After talking and thinking about the classes in DQ3 again I kinda feel like playing it sometime. It'd be a good time too before e3.

I'm just not sure I want to play the gbc version like i thought about. Maybe i'll do both, lol.
I'm tempted to put a goof-off in my team just for the lols and fun of it, But I also kinda want to do a solid team. I'll see if I get to it :p

Did you know that in the nes version you can lose your merchant character permanently (for a particular story event)?
I think that's a warning anyone should know if they plan to play that version.
You should play the SNES version. That's the one I have, I really need to get back into it, although I'm lacking motivation in my life (like working out. Too tired to do it rofl).

Also i was thinking, since Dragon Quest day is coming in approximately 14 days, why not have the Erdrick board create movesets for the character since he might be coming this coming E3? I was planning on revising my moveset anyways.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You should play the SNES version. That's the one I have, I really need to get back into it, although I'm lacking motivation in my life (like working out. Too tired to do it rofl).

Also i was thinking, since Dragon Quest day is coming in approximately 14 days, why not have the Erdrick board create movesets for the character since he might be coming this coming E3? I was planning on revising my moveset anyways.
Yup it's between the gbc and the snes version. I like gbc games and it could feel nostalgic, but now im not sure if that's the one i wanna play. So thinking of starting both and seeing how i feel then :p

If people want to make movesets go for it. I dont have new ideas for one for now but if i do i'll let yous know ;)
I understand lack of motivation, trust me. Follow inspirations when you can, or just set your mind to something if you do want it. That's the only advice i have but im not the best at motivation yet so im sure there's other advice out there xD

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice

I'd be down. I don't have any of my moveset ideas incorporated into something complete yet, but I can try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom