• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
What is it about steve or the rumors that you think wouldn't make sense in smash? just wondering.

Steve And Banjo? Well, i guess people dont really have more to go on yet.
Yeah, and it's Steve as a mii costume. But yeah not much to go on, it's kind of funny that the google theory has more then two characters. It's been brought up that we still have DLC to Feb 2020 so who knows who we are gonna get.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, and it's Steve as a mii costume. But yeah not much to go on, it's kind of funny that the google theory has more then two characters. It's been brought up that we still have DLC to Feb 2020 so who knows who we are gonna get.
You know.. steve as a mii costume could actually make a lot of sense :O

On another note, I like sophia :)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
What is it about steve or the rumors that you think wouldn't make sense in smash? just wondering.
The timeline. We have Hitagi saying that there was a Steve model ready for use in August and we have Mojang representatives stating a couple times (Up until October of 2018) that they hadn't been approached by Nintendo (for Steve in Smash*). At this point, we're also a year out from Verge's initial "Minecraft content in Smash" statements. That's a looooong time to be holding onto that, especially if DLC hadn't started development until Ultimate went gold (Which I assume would have been sometime in October) and I'm of the notion that the DLC roster was finalized sometime during summer or September as that makes sense from a scheduling standpoint to get the pipeline ready to shift development to DLC as soon as it goes gold. Time will tell here, But this is my main beef with all the Steve rumors up until now

* I feel it's greatly important to make this designation. In the nature of PR, you only answer the question you are given. Since they were asked specifically about Steve in Smash then their answer of not being approached by Nintendo is for Steve in Smash, not necessarily Minecraft content outside of Steve.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The timeline. We have Hitagi saying that there was a Steve model ready for use in August and we have Mojang representatives stating a couple times (Up until October of 2018) that they hadn't been approached by Nintendo (for Steve in Smash*). At this point, we're also a year out from Verge's initial "Minecraft content in Smash" statements. That's a looooong time to be holding onto that, especially if DLC hadn't started development until Ultimate went gold (Which I assume would have been sometime in October) and I'm of the notion that the DLC roster was finalized sometime during summer or September as that makes sense from a scheduling standpoint to get the pipeline ready to shift development to DLC as soon as it goes gold. Time will tell here, But this is my main beef with all the Steve rumors up until now

* I feel it's greatly important to make this designation. In the nature of PR, you only answer the question you are given. Since they were asked specifically about Steve in Smash then their answer of not being approached by Nintendo is for Steve in Smash, not necessarily Minecraft content outside of Steve.
Do you mean october 2017 then? If it was 2018 then he'd be out of the picture maybe.
And do you happen to have a link mojang saying that?

Last edited:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice

Steve And Banjo? Well, i guess people dont really have more to go on yet.
Maybe this is the wrong place for character-bashing. Glass houses, and all that.

In any case, I'd be down with a Steve hat, but I'm not sure how a full costume would work. The diamond sword adds to the novelty, so I'd love a full set, but that body would be a hard workaround.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Maybe this is the wrong place for character-bashing. Glass houses, and all that.

In any case, I'd be down with a Steve hat, but I'm not sure how a full costume would work. The diamond sword adds to the novelty, so I'd love a full set, but that body would be a hard workaround.
I dont think it matters overly much unless people really are dissing a character or pushing points on steve fans maybe, not just speculating about rumors.

I do think that the tweet from xbox wasn't in favor of steve, because it doesn't feel like something nintendo would like seeing, if he were in.
Talking about this one.

Some people like to take hints as meaning something for smash, but we have to remember that there's NDAs for a reason.
I still think it would work pretty well as a mii costume, but if we do get a microsoft rep (which im not even sure we will), i dont care too much if it's steve or banjo or whoever. Im pretty indifferent about those characters.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Do you mean october 2017 then? If it was 2018 then he'd be out of the picture maybe.
And do you happen to have a link mojang saying that?
2018. And unfortunately, I don't have the video. I just know it was a phone cam thing from Minecon or something like that.

I dont think it matters overly much unless people really are dissing a character or pushing points on steve fans maybe, not just speculating about rumors.

I do think that the tweet from xbox wasn't in favor of steve, because it doesn't feel like something nintendo would like seeing, if he were in.
Talking about this one.

Some people like to take hints as meaning something for smash, but we have to remember that there's NDAs for a reason.
I still think it would work pretty well as a mii costume, but if we do get a microsoft rep (which im not even sure we will), i dont care too much if it's steve or banjo or whoever. Im pretty indifferent about those characters.
I don't think there has ever been any hint to a smash character. I also don't think the interns that run that account would know either.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
2018. And unfortunately, I don't have the video. I just know it was a phone cam thing from Minecon or something like that.

I don't think there has ever been any hint to a smash character. I also don't think the interns that run that account would know either.
Ok, i know which one you mean. They didnt say that nintendo hasnt come to them for smash, they only said something like there's a feedback site that could help post about steve for smash. It's not that bad, i think, but overall i dont think steve has much going for him except how popular minecraft is (which is still quite a lot)

As for some interns not knowing about it, yeh i guess that's possible, but also maybe they're not and would know, and didn't. ;)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I just want Erdrick released so I can buy the whole darn pass already. :(

The wait gets longer with e3 around the corner.
At this point I would say the pass is worth it just get any new characters. It depends how much you enjoy having extra ones to play tho :p

It's funny how some people have a harder time waiting when it gets closer. For me it's so much easier, I know it's coming so I can relax and it'll be there soon enough :) (I'm actually not always like that lol, but i am for now)

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Oof found this on Twitter

Ugh, I keep bumping into these type of people more and more.
Just unfollowed some dude named Noah H. Copeland who, while I admired his work on remastering Sonic Tripke Trouble, he started to badmouth turn-based RPGs upon FFVIIr’s trailer.

Got sick of him. His progress is super slow anyway, and I wasn’t gonna take him talking smack about one of my favorite genres while I waited for his progress to show.
Besides, I already lost all interest in his project.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Ugh, I keep bumping into these type of people more and more.
Just unfollowed some dude named Noah H. Copeland who, while I admired his work on remastering Sonic Tripke Trouble, he started to badmouth turn-based RPGs upon FFVIIr’s trailer.

Got sick of him. His progress is super slow anyway, and I wasn’t gonna take him talking smack about one of my favorite genres while I waited for his progress to show.
Besides, I already lost all interest in his project.
Bad-mouthing certain forms of gameplays because of a gameplay style you personally dislike doesn't make you have more intelligence then everyone else. I am personally not that into strategy games, but at least I get the appeal and respect it. It's just sad that respect is becoming a dying art.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I came across some manga covers for dragon quest 4 and im wondering if it had an actual manga or if it's fanmade.

423px-DQ_4koma_Gekijou_2.png
423px-DQ_4koma_Gekijou_3.png

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I came across some manga covers for dragon quest 4 and im wondering if it had an actual manga or if it's fanmade.

View attachment 218964 View attachment 218965
These look amazing! Surely Toriyama’s designs at their best imo (even if these manga may have not been made by him).

Bad-mouthing certain forms of gameplays because of a gameplay style you personally dislike doesn't make you have more intelligence then everyone else. I am personally not that into strategy games, but at least I get the appeal and respect it. It's just sad that respect is becoming a dying art.
Yeah, and not the first time a fangame maker is vocal about his/her dislikes. It’s annoying. And DQ doesn’t need this.
You’d think these people have ever picked up a Pokémon game at least. Thankfully, Pokémon and DQ are the two giants protecting the genre. Oh, Persona too, I think?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
These look amazing! Surely Toriyama’s designs at their best imo (even if these manga may have not been made by him).

Yeah, and not the first time a fangame maker is vocal about his/her dislikes. It’s annoying. And DQ doesn’t need this.
You’d think these people have ever picked up a Pokémon game at least. Thankfully, Pokémon and DQ are the two giants protecting the genre. Oh, Persona too, I think?
I'm not sure, but I think there was a dragon quest gag manga series. if this site is right then it had 18 volumes:
https://www.animeclick.it/manga/10277/dragon-quest-4koma-manga-gekijou

The other covers have other dragon quest games, so it must've spanned the series in general.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm not sure, but I think there was a dragon quest gag manga series. if this site is right then it had 18 volumes:
https://www.animeclick.it/manga/10277/dragon-quest-4koma-manga-gekijou

The other covers have other dragon quest games, so it must've spanned the series in general.
I think it has, because among skimming through here and there I’ve seen covers for DQ5, 6, 7 I think and now 4.

I don’t look much into them because I have a feeling they’ll be in Japanese only.

Oh, here’s something funny.

https://youtu.be/jOWKpO3yER0

The new deck for DQ Rivals centers among 2 characters.

Anlucia, and Zoma. What did these two characters have in common again ;)

I wish I was much more into Rivals. I really don’t like card games. Can’t ever get into them. I’m happy for those who can enjoy them, and I wish I could. But not even a DQ skin can make me get into them. A shame because it looks fun, actually, the game looks great, and it’s free. but I don’t feel like trying to learn it. And I’ve tried a bit.
Oh well.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think it has, because among skimming through here and there I’ve seen covers for DQ5, 6, 7 I think and now 4.

I don’t look much into them because I have a feeling they’ll be in Japanese only.

Oh, here’s something funny.

https://youtu.be/jOWKpO3yER0

The new deck for DQ Rivals centers among 2 characters.

Anlucia, and Zoma. What did these two characters have in common again ;)

I wish I was much more into Rivals. I really don’t like card games. Can’t ever get into them. I’m happy for those who can enjoy them, and I wish I could. But not even a DQ skin can make me get into them. A shame because it looks fun, actually, the game looks great, and it’s free. but I don’t feel like trying to learn it. And I’ve tried a bit.
Oh well.
It piques my interest because I do like card games. Not if it's too heavy on micro-transactions tho. And unless there's an english version on pc i probably wont end up playing it :/

Im not sure why anlucia and zoma are featured for the card pack, but yeah they havent been in the same games.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It piques my interest because I do like card games. Not if it's too heavy on micro-transactions tho. And unless there's an english version on pc i probably wont end up playing it :/

Im not sure why anlucia and zoma are featured for the card pack, but yeah they havent been in the same games.
Yeah, language barrier despite me knowing a bit of Japanese (reading not my forte tho) does detract from the experience. Usually the alternative to micro transactions is heavier grinding which I don’t mind too much.

But Anlucia (Erdrick’s supposed alt in smash) and Zoma (Erdrick’s archnemesis) both featured in the same pack makes no sense. Maybe it was just to promote an evolved form of their cards? That’s my takeaway.

But it was still funny to me that both are connected to Erdrick through dragonquestXsmash... leaks at least. (Ok not Zoma but he’s definitely a spirit if Erdrick’s in).

Just a fun coincidence. Man do I wish Zoma came alongside Erdrick.... playable is impossible, but as boss would be ideal. Or AT at least. They should really add more bosses.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, language barrier despite me knowing a bit of Japanese (reading not my forte tho) does detract from the experience. Usually the alternative to micro transactions is heavier grinding which I don’t mind too much.

But Anlucia (Erdrick’s supposed alt in smash) and Zoma (Erdrick’s archnemesis) both featured in the same pack makes no sense. Maybe it was just to promote an evolved form of their cards? That’s my takeaway.

But it was still funny to me that both are connected to Erdrick through dragonquestXsmash... leaks at least. (Ok not Zoma but he’s definitely a spirit if Erdrick’s in).

Just a fun coincidence. Man do I wish Zoma came alongside Erdrick.... playable is impossible, but as boss would be ideal. Or AT at least. They should really add more bosses.
Anything's possible considering how much was put with Castlevania.
In whatever case the most playable we could expect are costumes for other heroes or at best an echo, but that's still iffy.

Maybe for the pack it has more to do with a theme that we dont understand.

I saw the pack is releasing later this month. Might mean nothing but seems like one extra reason to have some dragon quest stuff to talk about later on, maybe at least a stream. dunno :)

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Anything's possible considering how much was put with Castlevania.
In whatever case the most playable we could expect are costumes for other heroes or at best an echo, but that's still iffy.

Maybe for the pack it has more to do with a theme that we dont understand.

I saw the pack is releasing later this month. Might mean nothing but seems like one extra reason to have some dragon quest stuff to talk about later on, maybe at least a stream. dunno :)
Knowing now that I know have counted wrong the number of Echoes and that are 7 of them instead of 5. There is a good chance for more Echoes. What make me think: What if we get Erdrick as a character with all color slots been him and his female counterpart, and Luminary and the Heroes from 1, 2, 4(Sofia), 5, 6, 8, 10(Anlucia) in a Koopaling Style as an Echo with some different spells.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Knowing now that I know have counted wrong the number of Echoes and that are 7 of them instead of 5. There is a good chance for more Echoes. What make me think: What if we get Erdrick as a character with all color slots been him and his female counterpart, and Luminary and the Heroes from 1, 2, 4(Sofia), 5, 6, 8, 10(Anlucia) in a Koopaling Style as an Echo with some different spells.
Yes i had a similar idea, but i think it could work to split them up and group them by whoever works better together. Maybe by spells in game or weapons. It's a fun idea, even if i dont expect it. Gettin multiple heroes is always great to think about :)

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
God if we have Erdrick with all of his slots being the other heroes, that would be fantastic.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
The pack's theme is light vs. dark. Anlucia's a big-deal good guy and Zoma's a big-deal bad guy, and that's probably all there is to it.

I think this is the first time Zoma's been voiced, which is interesting. Uh, and all the other characters there too, except Anlucia and everyone from VIII. Rivals has probably debuted more character voices than Heroes by this point. So I guess if Zoma showed up in Smash as a stage element or boss, he could potentially get a line or two? They'd have to cast an English VA and everything, but we're officially beyond his appearance in Heroes I, where he was weirdly silent in a fully voiced game.

I really hope SE bites the bullet with DQXI S and quits tiptoeing around translating DQX-related content, even if they never do DQX itself. As long as that game's running it'll continue to show up in crossovers, and I don't want to keep losing out on games because of that.

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
I don't get why rivals is a no heroes spin-off. Unlike Heroes and Fortune Street there is no need for them to talk.

D

Deleted member

I don't get why rivals is a no heroes spin-off. Unlike Heroes and Fortune Street there is no need for them to talk.
Rivals does have cards of the heroes from DQ1, DQ4 (male only though), and DQ8, but no one else to my knowledge.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm a bit biased, considering Dragon Quest VIII is my favourite game in the series, but I think Eight would work the best as an echo. Dragon Quest VIII is particularly popular among western audiences, so having him and Erdrick would have the protagonist that are most popular in each region, similar to Simon and Richter.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
The best of the best is a Bowser Junior like deal with four male Yuusha (3, 1, 8, 11) and three female Yuusha (3, 4, 9) + Anlucia who is Yuusha-Hime.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I'm a bit biased, considering Dragon Quest VIII is my favourite game in the series, but I think Eight would work the best as an echo. Dragon Quest VIII is particularly popular among western audiences, so having him and Erdrick would have the protagonist that are most popular in each region, similar to Simon and Richter.
I can see where you're coming from. I'd be happy with eight as an echo. Hes the only hero I know that has more fizzle spells then zap.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I can see where you're coming from. I'd be happy with eight as an echo. Hes the only hero I know that has more fizzle spells then zap.
I was looking at a list of spells, and apart from Zam, it's interesting that Dragon Quest 3 introduced most of them. So in a way DQIII is like the parent of dragon quest magic ;p

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I was looking at a list of spells, and apart from Zam, it's interesting that Dragon Quest 3 introduced most of them. So in a way DQIII is like the parent of dragon quest magic ;p
A part of me hopes Erdrick isnt a top tier. Having him high tier is good enough but I also want his spells to be viable.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wrote down a list of offensive spells for each dragon quest hero from the main series. It might be useful to see side by side. I think that considering smash, it might not matter since characters can share some things, but here it is:

1: [Non-elenental]
2: [No Magic]

3 (Erdrick): Lightning, Fire, Explosion
4 (Solo/Sophia): Lightning, Fire, Explosion
5 (Madason): Wind
6 (Rek): Lightning + All spells from other classes
7 (Auster?): Lightning, Fire, Explosion, Wind + All spells from other classes
8 (Eight): Lightning, Fire
9 (Nine): Wind, Ice + All spells from other classes
10 (Anlucia).: Lightning + ?
11(Luminary): Fire, Explosion, Lightning

I know for sure that Anlucia can use lightning magic, but I'm not sure about the rest because there are no english site for it and I had to look at google translated names.
We can see that Erdrick, Solo/Sophia and Luminary can all use the exact same elements. And actually so can Auster's hero class (So 3, 4, 7, & 11). Rek only has lightning but can use other magic classes too. The only heroes that can use wind are from DQ5, 7, & 9, (+ 6 if we count other classs). Only 9 can use ice magic normally, but there's technicall no hero class (Minstrel). Eight doesn't have explosion, but at least has fire ;p

Maybe that can give some ideas, including for the dream idea of an echo character with something different. :p
There's lots of weapon skills and other spells too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Y'know what? Sign me up on that support list too please, While I'm not the biggest fan of DQ I think it has it's own merits to be in Smash and Erdrick or whomever could have a fun move set. Erdrick is cool and while I prefer Geno I think both should get in as they both have their own pros and cons.

So yeah I'll support Erdrick too, I mean I already bet my account on him being in so why not right?

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I wrote down a list of offensive spells for each dragon quest hero from the main series. It might be useful to see side by side. I think that considering smash, it might not matter since characters can share some things, but here it is:

1: [Non-elenental]
2: [No Magic]

3 (Erdrick): Lightning, Fire, Explosion
4 (Solo/Sophia): Lightning, Fire, Explosion
5 (Madason): Wind
6 (Rek): Lightning + All spells from other classes
7 (Auster?): Lightning, Fire, Explosion, Wind + All spells from other classes
8 (Eight): Lightning, Fire
9 (Nine): Wind, Ice + All spells from other classes
10 (Anlucia).: Lightning + ?
11(Luminary): Fire, Explosion, Lightning

I know for sure that Anlucia can use lightning magic, but I'm not sure about the rest because there are no english site for it and I had to look at google translated names.
We can see that Erdrick, Solo/Sophia and Luminary can all use the exact same elements. And actually so can Auster's hero class (So 3, 4, 7, & 11). Rek only has lightning but can use other magic classes too. The only heroes that can use wind are from DQ5, 7, & 9, (+ 6 if we count other classs). Only 9 can use ice magic normally, but there's technicall no hero class (Minstrel). Eight doesn't have explosion, but at least has fire ;p

Maybe that can give some ideas, including for the dream idea of an echo character with something different. :p
There's lots of weapon skills and other spells too.
Yeah the heroes if Sakurai is willing have plenty of uses Echoes too. It would make me so happy if Erdrick gets treatment surpassing Joker.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah the heroes if Sakurai is willing have plenty of uses Echoes too. It would make me so happy if Erdrick gets treatment surpassing Joker.
The echo idea would work great, but if that wouldn't pan out you know what would be a great thing would be for them to go over 8 costumes again like they did in smash 4.Imagine having 16 costumes to play around with :)

If they don't go with a smaller design, almost all of the heroes are game, maybe except 7 and 5.

Y'know what? Sign me up on that support list too please, While I'm not the biggest fan of DQ I think it has it's own merits to be in Smash and Erdrick or whomever could have a fun move set. Erdrick is cool and while I prefer Geno I think both should get in as they both have their own pros and cons.

So yeah I'll support Erdrick too, I mean I already bet my account on him being in so why not right?
done ;)
glad to see someone else defy the boundaries of rivalry. I still think with future waves of dlc that multiple SE characters are really possible.

D

Deleted member

done ;)
glad to see someone else defy the boundaries of rivalry. I still think with future waves of dlc that multiple SE characters are really possible.
I really hope that's the case cause SE has a lot of great characters to pull from be it Erdrick, Geno, Sora or whoever else. Even if there isn't future waves of DLC I'm sure with enough push Geno could always make it in so I don't see the point in being rivals we both want characters from SE let's unite in our similarities.

I really do think both Erdrick and Geno should get in, Erdrick cause of DQ's legacy and iconic status and Geno for being a Fan-Favorite pick. Both really should get in.

Calane

Smash Ace
Hey, I found this cool trailer with our boy in it!

Also, it's great to have you aboard, ShotoStar!

We should really start posting this every time someone new joins the party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom