• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
The Google Ad thing is making me worried about DQ not getting in Smash...

It doesn’t help that in most places of the internet I go people are starting to act in the way I didn’t want to experience again in my life regarding Smash speculation.
Don't worry bout it dude. The Google Ad theory is just really hokey anyways. Especially with Artorias in the picture, just a weird inclusion to the otherwise pretty solid selection. Also for those that still don't really know about it, Papagenos just released a vid on the topic.

Yeah I kind of feel the same way. FF was at one point my favorite game series ever, and now SE is making a joke out of it. I find it hard to have faith in FF7R with Nomura directing it but the trailer left a decent impression me.
Also, do you have a link to the article? FFT is far and away my favorite FF game (even including main series). A new one (that's similar in tone and style - FFTA is good and all but it doesnt really scratch the same itch) would be fantastic.
To be fair it isn't completely his fault. A lot of Nomuras failings came from Square Enix itself butting in when things shouldn't have. He is just a man riddled with poor luck and circumstance. It's actually a miracle to wonder why he is still with him.

I'm glad they're talking about it, but bummed that they're not working on it right now XD
I love FFT, and FFTA2 was a bit love-hate thing for me. They had so many things I liked, and then a few things that just messed it up a bit.

Like, if you're going to make a game where you can recruit a ton of members, dont make underleveled characters gain the same amount of exp as the regular ones else they can never catch up. Second, if youre going to make an awesome system for customizing the party with skills, dont make the main game so short that it finishes before having the time to really build up a cool team :/
Ramza for Smash haha. I still need to play Tactics. I still have the OG game for Playstation but I only played 5 mins of it.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Don't worry bout it dude. The Google Ad theory is just really hokey anyways. Especially with Artorias in the picture, just a weird inclusion to the otherwise pretty solid selection. Also for those that still don't really know about it, Papagenos just released a vid on the topic.

To be fair it isn't completely his fault. A lot of Nomuras failings came from Square Enix itself butting in when things shouldn't have. He is just a man riddled with poor luck and circumstance. It's actually a miracle to wonder why he is still with him.

Ramza for Smash haha. I still need to play Tactics. I still have the OG game for Playstation but I only played 5 mins of it.
now that I know what google theory is I can say wow we need news asap because that one was dumb GoOglE LeAkiNg SmASh

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Apparently an ad for the fighter pass pops up for five characters when you search on Google “Smash Bros Ultimate [insert character]”.

It supposedly only works with Joker, Ryu Hayabusa, Doomguy, Banjo and a random Dark Souls boss. Since Erdrick or Steve don’t get ads, this apparently deconfirm them.
It's gonna bug me if I don't ask who the Dark Souls character is.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I kind of like the idea of Artorias better than Chosen Undead or Solaire, at least. Doesn't seem like the kind of character that would actually get picked, though.

now that I know what google theory is I can say wow we need news asap because that one was dumb GoOglE LeAkiNg SmASh
I didn't pay so much attention during Smash 4's rumour cycle, but was it as wacky as this? Sakurai's chairs and Rayman on the rocks and Google ads... I'm surprised that the dragon/witch stages in the stage builder trailer didn't get more attention, if we're willing to grasp at literally anything.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Honestly, I kind of like the idea of Artorias better than Chosen Undead or Solaire, at least. Doesn't seem like the kind of character that would actually get picked, though.

I didn't pay so much attention during Smash 4's rumour cycle, but was it as wacky as this? Sakurai's chairs and Rayman on the rocks and Google ads... I'm surprised that the dragon/witch stages in the stage builder trailer didn't get more attention, if we're willing to grasp at literally anything.
i don't remember smash 4s cycle but it was easy mode compared to this ULTIMATE CLUSTER F@#K That is this Cycle and the Rayman thing I really tried to see him I tried but I don't see it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oof found this on Twitter

I'm guessing that person mostly means rpgs, not strategy rpgs, cuz i still find those fun. Slow is fine when you wanna take your time and think about what to do and all.

Barebones turn-based games being boring? Yeah maybe, that's why I wouldnt play dq1 and 2 unless i specifically feel like it, but i wouldnt say objectively bad. Outdated a little because of new stuff, sure.

I do find the persona games a bit boring in combat, but that's because the weakness system makes for always the same strategy: find the weakness, exploit it. done. (a bit of an exaggeration, but i do feel that way)
I love when they innovate, but it doesn't have to stray away from turn-based stuff.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I'll never understand people who've made it their mission to root out the last few remaining turn-based RPGs and "innovate" on them by making them into action games like everything else. The notion that there's anything inherently new or interesting about real-time combat is very silly.

It's not for everybody, but I'd say having turn-based combat and not being set in a school sets DQ apart pretty well from the big-budget RPG crowd.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I'll never understand people who've made it their mission to root out the last few remaining turn-based RPGs and "innovate" on them by making them into action games like everything else. The notion that there's anything inherently new or interesting about real-time combat is very silly.

It's not for everybody, but I'd say having turn-based combat and not being set in a school sets DQ apart pretty well from the big-budget RPG crowd.
honestly, turn-based RPGs are really fun for me but to say that they should just change them for the sake of change isn't really good at all honestly i probably wouldn't like DQ if it went the route of 15 but to say that there bad is just silly in my opinion

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
honestly, turn-based RPGs are really fun for me but to say that they should just change them for the sake of change isn't really good at all honestly i probably wouldn't like DQ if it went the route of 15 but to say that there bad is just silly in my opinion
The day DQ goes something as drastic as FF15 is the day DQ officially dies.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
i wouldn't say it would die because i feel DQ would be able to pull it off since the people over at Enix have their heads on straight instead of up there butts like Square
bonus because i love memes

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
In a sense, because some of us hold DQ in good regard because they didn't evolve differently as much. But personally I love action rpgs, so all i ask is that if they do it, to at least make it a spin-off or follow up to DQHeroes. I think we kinda touched on that in the past, but anyway, i'm personally glad that Final Fantasy strayed and DQ didn't, it lets us have both routes.

I just love rpgs elements in general i guess ;p

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I find hilarious that the guy probably tried to spell Astora from Solaire of Astora, but spell out Artorias and how Google suggests first Artorias Dark Souls he thinks it's right and spent money on the worst bait of this month xD

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I find hilarious that the guy probably tried to spell Astora from Solaire of Astora, but spell out Artorias and how Google suggests first Artorias Dark Souls he thinks it's right and spent money on the worst bait of this month xD
Wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. I used to read a lot of posts about Dark Souls during the time when the first game was a big deal and I was playing it, and I distinctively remember more than one instance of posts misspelling Astora as Astorias or Artorias.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So, in the last while I've been debating a bit about Vergeben in the geno thread, and it got me thinking about accuracy rates. And I never thought i'd be doing this for a leaker, but oh well. Not sure how someone would score how much stuff someone got? I think 'missing' counts a lot less against them than getting something wrong (ie bad info), but i'm still curious what it looks like.

What he got:
-No cuts (didnt say 'everyone' beyond smash 4, but it might count for more than that, dunno)
-Old veterans coming back. Only specifically mentioned Ice Climbers and Snake.
-Ridley
-Simon Belmont
-Isabelle
-Ken & Incineroar

What kinda got:
-Richter (Knew of stuff like voice clips but couldn't tell if it was about a character)
-Piranha plant (only posted about it very late)

What he missed:
-Didn't specifically mention Pichu, Young Link, and Wolf
-King K. Rool
-A few echos: Daisy, Chrom, and Dark Samus
-Joker

What he got wrong:
-Minecraft content (could be delayed, but he at least got timing wrong)
-Square Enix character (could have assumed to be first because of not knowing about joker)
-Other stuff not related to smash (some or most of which didn't come from his main sources, going by some private messages)

--

At first I was seeing if there's a way to find a way to rate accuracy, but it's a bit more complex to count than I thought.
I'm just going to leave the list here tho since it's interesting to see.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, in the last while I've been debating a bit about Vergeben in the geno thread, and it got me thinking about accuracy rates. And I never thought i'd be doing this for a leaker, but oh well. Not sure how someone would someone score how much stuff someone got? I think 'missing' counts a lot less against them than getting something wrong (ie bad info), but i'm still curious what it looks like.

What he got:
-No cuts (didnt say 'everyone' beyond smash 4, but it might count for more than that, dunno)
-Ridley
-Simon Belmont
-Isabelle
-Ken & Incineroar

What kinda got:
-Richter (Knew of stuff like voice clips but couldn't tell if it was about a character)

What he missed:
-Joker

What he got wrong:
-Square Enix character (could have assumed to be first because of not knowing about joker)
-Other stuff not related to smash (some or most of which didn't come from his main sources, going by some private messages)

--

At first I was seeing if there's a way to find an accuracy rate, but it's a bit more complex to count than I thought.
Verge is a tricky one. He clearly has good source(s) for Smash info but his own ability to deliver information from them is... very questionable though.
Minecraft content could still be coming later down the line though, so the only glaringly wrong thing as it currently stands is the SE character being first.
His record outside of Smash is much more questionable, but within Smash it's very solid.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
Even with the whole Google Ads leak going on and not saying Erdrick is a part of it, I still hope we get Dragon Quest representation in Smash. I don't have my username (and avatar) named after one of my favorite DQ enemies for nothing. Who knows if Verge was just full of it when he even said there was more Square Enix representation coming along the way considering how much of a pain it is to get Cloud into the game so far. Still, I think we'll know more about this by E3 since it's incredibly likely Nintendo will showcase another DLC character off for their presentation then. Will it be Erdrick, Banjo & Kazooie, Doomguy, Steve, Artorias, Ryu Hasabusa, or someone else we don't even know about yet? Only time will tell.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Even with the whole Google Ads leak going on and not saying Erdrick is a part of it, I still hope we get Dragon Quest representation in Smash. I don't have my username (and avatar) named after one of my favorite DQ enemies for nothing. Who knows if Verge was just full of it when he even said there was more Square Enix representation coming along the way considering how much of a pain it is to get Cloud into the game so far. Still, I think we'll know more about this by E3 since it's incredibly likely Nintendo will showcase another DLC character off for their presentation then. Will it be Erdrick, Banjo & Kazooie, Doomguy, Steve, Artorias, Ryu Hasabusa, or someone else we don't even know about yet? Only time will tell.
I will always believe. I just think the world needs more Dragon Quest haha

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm sure some of you know by now i like to play around with ideas and stuff sometimes, The thing is I can also like math when it has to do with games, so i just made up a quick point idea for rating smash leakers. This version is a harsh one because someone literally has to not miss things or else they get negative points. But I'm doing mostly just for the characters here. I know it's not perfect, but i just wanted to try for fun.

Getting a full-fledged character in advance: +1 point
An echo character: +0.5 points
Significant info about smash: +1 point (or +2 if bigger stuff)
Late or partial info: half instead

Missing a full character: -1 point
Missing an echo: -0.5
Missed significant info or Wrong character info: -1 point (or -2 for bigger blunder)
Good reason for wrong info: half neg points instead

That's the 100% fair one, and the other one i thought about treats any negative point as only half, because it's hard to get info. But im curious about the real accuracy first.
Additions: No cuts (+2). 6 Full characters and 1 late (+6..5). 1 Echo and 1 partial (+0.75) === 9.75 pts
Deductions: 5 Characters missed (-5). 3 echos missed (-1.5). SE character timing wrong (-1) === -7.5 pts

So, for smash character info, there's a total of 17.25 points, and 9.75 of that is about 57%. give or take, so that's his % for characters ;) Or a little higher if we count less for only missing timing on the SE character.
If we add the minecraft content and also that he didn't say anything about spirits, then it's probably closer to 50% for smash overall. which is still good, knowing 1 out of 2. :p

But Erdrick is already a claim, so if we count just the 'wrong' info he's got when making claims, then for smash he only got 2 things wrong, so 2 points out of that is a little over 11%. Which means his accuracy for getting info right about smash when he makes a claim is 89%:) (or more if it's just about characters)

I dont know everything he said about the direct and nintendo in general, so even though i'd like to add that, not doing that right now, but obviously it'd be lower if we add all the nintendo stuff he make claims about. maybe another time. if i feel like it or someone brings it up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oof found this on Twitter

This tweet is so vague and clearly attention-seeking to where it should literally have been ignored. It's a dude complaining about a genre he's not into. Boohoo to him.

So, in the last while I've been debating a bit about Vergeben in the geno thread, and it got me thinking about accuracy rates. And I never thought i'd be doing this for a leaker, but oh well. Not sure how someone would score how much stuff someone got? I think 'missing' counts a lot less against them than getting something wrong (ie bad info), but i'm still curious what it looks like.

What he got:
-Ridley
-Simon Belmont
-Isabelle
-Ken & Incineroar

What kinda got:

What he missed:
-King K. Rool
-Joker

What he got wrong:

--

At first I was seeing if there's a way to find a way to rate accuracy, but it's a bit more complex to count than I thought.
A lot of what Verge got wrong for Smash Bros just seems to be dates. Like remember when he said Link's Awakening remake would be after the Eshop Zelda game (Cadence of Hyrule)? His sources were on the nose but the dude can't predict dates for the life of him.

We know his Smash sources are good enough. If they say something, we can probably expect it.

By the way, to transition, someone in the social thread said that the dude who gave Vergeben the Minecraft info is actually unreliable. He apparently has a track record for when he has actual inside info to reveal. I PM'd another user who knows him and he confirmed that the Minecraft source for Verge was unreliable.

Simply put, I think we can trust Verge when he says Dragon Quest is in. He's waited months to actually confirm it and the Minecraft **** was because he had a source not related to his main ones.

Ok, ima just say this now.

For anybody who cares, the reason why I am against this business of Steve being in Smash is because...people know who leaked Steve to Verg and Hitagi.

I will not tell anyone who it was, but believe me when I say they are not to be trusted. I am not saying this for attention, and do not want PM’s asking, “B-but Scol, tell me who leaked it!!” I’m not going to tell you.

The Minecraft boss claim was basically shut down as soon as we got to the coding, because if I remember correctly he was told it was base.

Either way, it’s bull****.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This tweet is so vague and clearly attention-seeking to where it should literally have been ignored. It's a dude complaining about a genre he's not into. Boohoo to him.

A lot of what Verge got wrong for Smash Bros just seems to be dates. Like remember when he said Link's Awakening remake would be after the Eshop Zelda game (Cadence of Hyrule)? His sources were on the nose but the dude can't predict dates for the life of him.

We know his Smash sources are good enough. If they say something, we can probably expect it.

By the way, to transition, someone in the social thread said that the dude who gave Vergeben the Minecraft info is actually unreliable. He apparently has a track record for when he has actual inside info to reveal. I PM'd another user who knows him and he confirmed that the Minecraft source for Verge was unreliable.

Simply put, I think we can trust Verge when he says Dragon Quest is in. He's waited months to actually confirm it and the Minecraft **** was because he had a source not related to his main ones.
I was wondering about the minecraft source the other day, actually, so thanks for bringing it up. Do you have the something that says it's not his main source? Or is it just word of mouth from the person you talked with?

I do think it's worth talking about the timing of things like you brought up, because before he would mostly just make claims about who's in, not necessarily 'when' they would be announced. But also we know he made tons of assumptions that his main sources didn't say themselves, well as far as we know.

D

Deleted member

I was wondering about the minecraft source the other day, actually, so thanks for bringing it up. Do you have the something that says it's not his main source? Or is it just word of mouth from the person you talked with?

I do think it's worth talking about the timing of things like you brought up, because before he would mostly just make claims about who's in, not necessarily 'when' they would be announced. But also we know he made tons of assumptions that his main sources didn't say themselves, well as far as we know.
Unfortunately, the two people I talked to were adamant against revealing the person. It makes sense too because you've seen how personal people feel about their Smash Bros.

It falls under a, "He said; she said" ordeal. I trust the person telling me this--or at least I trust he believes what he's saying--but like all speculation, it's not officially 100% confirmed in any way. Doubly so because this is the first I'm hearing about this forum user being a credible source for leaking of all things. It would at least explain why we're hearing conflicting rumors with Minecraft and Banjo

And yeah, I personally never cared about Verge getting dates right. I only cared about who he says is in, because that's what made him notorious in the first place. It was never about when.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Unfortunately, the two people I talked to were adamant against revealing the person. It makes sense too because you've seen how personal people feel about their Smash Bros.

It falls under a, "He said; she said" ordeal. I trust the person telling me this--or at least I trust he believes what he's saying--but like all speculation, it's not officially 100% confirmed in any way. Doubly so because this is the first I'm hearing about this forum user being a credible source for leaking of all things.

And yeah, I personally never cared about Verge getting dates right. I only cared about who he says is in, because that's what made him notorious in the first place. It was never about when.
Cool. Well that's good enough for me, even if we cant show people.

And, i know the post i made before you made one was long (take a look if you get chance), but one of the last parts i mentioned is that when it comes to the 'claims' he's made (rather than info he's missed), he only had 2 wrong when it comes to smash (SE and minecraft), which is not a lot compared to everything he got. It puts his smash claims accuracy close to 90%, kinda ;p

But both of those things might again be about the timing, which doesnt count for as much.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Cool. Well that's good enough for me, even if we cant show people.

And, i know the post i made before you made one was long (take a look if you get chance), but one of the last parts i mentioned that when it comes to the 'claims' he's made (rather than info he's missed), he only had 2 wrong when it comes to smash (SE and minecraft), which is not a lot compared to everything he got. It puts his smash accuracy close to 90%, kinda ;p

But both of those things may again be about the timing, which doesnt count for as much.
Honestly, my take on Vergeben is that he's not even 90% reliable. No matter how much we try and justify it, the fact is that Verge got **** wrong about Smash Bros--assuming Minecraft is indeed bunk. That's why Tansut is so important to Erdrick's chances, because he's the same guy who leaked Cloud of all characters. Combine that track record with Vergeben's okay track record, and it makes for solid leaker credentials for Erdrick.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Did Tansut specifically mention Erdrick too?

If that’s the case, then that’s two people who are claiming he’s in, which is better than what was originally expected.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Honestly, my take on Vergeben is that he's not even 90% reliable. No matter how much we try and justify it, the fact is that Verge got **** wrong about Smash Bros--assuming Minecraft is indeed bunk. That's why Tansut is so important to Erdrick's chances, because he's the same guy who leaked Cloud of all characters. Combine that track record with Vergeben's okay track record, and it makes for solid leaker credentials for Erdrick.
Well when he's made claims for smash he's mostly always got it. But even a 90% accurate move has a chance to miss. But lots of people use hydropump and that's only 80% ;p

Verge has a much better track record, technically. I agree tho, having tansut too kinda helps big time, it's a totally different good source. (even if not a long record)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well when he's made claims for smash he's mostly always got it. But even a 90% accurate move has a chance to miss. But lots of people use hydropump and that's only 80% ;p

Verge has a much better track record, technically. I agree tho, having tansut too kinda helps big time, it's a totally different good source. (even if not a long record)
Fair enough. I probably shouldn't be arguing percentages because that's not my skill. I think we both agree that he's reliable, but he's proven himself to be wrong occasionally.

Did Tansut specifically mention Erdrick too?

If that’s the case, then that’s two people who are claiming he’s in, which is better than what was originally expected.
He's been saying it since, like, December or January. He was one of the bigger reasons to support Erdrick at the time.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Fair enough. I probably shouldn't be arguing percentages because that's not my skill. I think we both agree that he's reliable, but he's proven himself to be wrong occasionally.

He's been saying it since, like, December or January. He was one of the bigger reasons to support Erdrick at the time.
Yeah. I would say so.
Outside of smash he may have gotten Star Fox Grand Prix wrong, but supposedly they know who was going around spreading the misinfo (in which case i would guess it's not nintendo), but I dont know enough to say for sure.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
At least we are lucky that DQ isn't a Bandai game. Verge didn't have that much luck with Bandai and their volatility when it comes to their DLCs and the amount of fake insiders from them.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

This is interesting. I don't think Verge has ever stated if the Minecraft info was from his main source or not. That's something I'll have to find out

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This is interesting. I don't think Verge has ever stated if the Minecraft info was from his main source or not. That's something I'll have to find out
Apparently he said that his smash sources heard rumors of minecraft or steve but it's supposedly on reddit and i dont feel like looking through all his comments. ;p
I'd say that rumors dont really qualify as trustworthy info, but i think he still made claims about there being minecraft content.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Apparently he said that his smash sources heard rumors of minecraft or steve but it's supposedly on reddit and i dont feel like looking through all his comments. ;p
I'd say that rumors dont really qualify as trustworthy info, but i think he still made claims about there being minecraft content.
I know that Verge has at least 3 smash sources. The one often designated as "Main Source 3" has been pretty much spot on with everything outside of dates. I'm just curious if his 3rd Main Source ever said anything about Minecraft.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I know that Verge has at least 3 smash sources. The one often designated as "Main Source 3" has been pretty much spot on with everything outside of dates. I'm just curious if his 3rd Main Source ever said anything about Minecraft.
Unfortunately we probably wont know unless more private messages get shared. He did say that he was waiting for his main sources to confirm any rumors on steve, but i dont know if they're the ones who mentioned minecraft content. bolderousness is pointing to that they didn't, and im glad to hear that but if we cant verify it then who knows.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Unfortunately we probably wont know unless more private messages get shared. He did say that he was waiting for his main sources to confirm any rumors on steve, but i dont know if they're the ones who mentioned minecraft content. bolderousness is pointing to that they didn't, and im glad to hear that but if we cant verify it then who knows.
All I'm going to say is that the Steve rumors never made a bit of ****ing sense to me, which is why I've never been sold on him being in Smash despite my distaste for the "character".

Teeb147

Smash Legend
All I'm going to say is that the Steve rumors never made a bit of ****ing sense to me, which is why I've never been sold on him being in Smash despite my distaste for the "character".
What is it about steve or the rumors that you think wouldn't make sense in smash? just wondering.
Found this on Sabis server. Thought it would be fun to share:

Steve And Banjo? Well, i guess people dont really have more to go on yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom