• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Here's a pet peeve I have to be honest. People actually complaining about a character in a season pass. If you don't like him/her, just don't purchase it or if you have the entire pass just don't pick the character.
It's annoying, I agree, but Teeb's example is fairly harmless because she admitted to getting the whole pass regardless. Honest indifference is fine.

The worst examples are probably over Corrin or people who think Steve and Erdrick are going to murder their hopes and dreams.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
It's annoying, I agree, but Teeb's example is fairly harmless because she admitted to getting the whole pass regardless. Honest indifference is fine.

The worst examples are probably over Corrin or people who think Steve and Erdrick are going to murder their hopes and dreams.
Nah I wasn't throwing Teebs under the bus. I was just pointing out in general. Stating Erdrick murders their hopes and dreams is the most ironic thing I ever heard. Since a Dragon Quest rep always represents hopes and dreams lol.

D

Deleted member

Nah I wasn't throwing Teebs under the bus. I was just pointing out in general. Stating Erdrick murders their hopes and dreams is the most ironic thing I ever heard. Since a Dragon Quest rep always represents hopes and dreams lol.
LOL A hero is just a villain in another person's story or some crap like that.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Here's a pet peeve I have to be honest. People actually complaining about a character in a season pass. If you don't like him/her, just don't purchase it or if you have the entire pass just don't pick the character.

I bought the pass because I just want more characters. Of course I'd love for them to be ones i like, but it does me no good to grumble at nintendo's picks, and it annoys me too when people are so darn invested in 'their' characters that they keep complaining about others or how they dont deserve to be in or what not, and it's like, I get it, they have ideals on smash, but it's nintendo's game and they're not 'supposed' to cater to the fans, it just great if they do XD

But then what fans do you cater to? the majority? Or get a few niche ones once in a while for diversity? I think ultimate is great up to now, the gameplay's really good, they have a great bunch of characters and all. I do wish there were more girls, though I also get there's a bit less notable gals in games. I'm also trying to find good playstyles that I can be interested enough to master. I still feel like I havent played the game as much as I was thinking at first.
Anyway, got a bit off track there but in the end we just gotta make the most of what nintendo cooks up, as much as we can. Some people have trouble with that and dont know how to vent properly.

I’m just gonna say I’ll probably main Erdrick when he comes out regardless of his tier. I really want to take him to the grand stage of evo if he gets in! About to see avengers endgame so keep on rolling bros.
Cool to hear. If erdrick is there along with the girl alt then yeah that's pretty much a guaranteed main for me. I never solo main but i do want to master a character i really like at some point. Not gonna see avengers for a while so don't spoil ;p But hope you like it ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sometimes I feel like people want to make us the bad guys because they just want to project lol.
Don't focus too much on it, there's always people that dislike certain series and try to downplay the series whenever they can. I'm quite happy as I feel we're getting a better reception little by little and we have a few new members every now and then wanting to try the series which is the best outcome in my book.

D

Deleted member

Sometimes I feel like people want to make us the bad guys because they just want to project lol.
That's fairly standard in any part of life. Those who get what they want are envied by those who don't have what they want. I know I'm jealous of Castlevania getting in over Bomberman, at least. It's not a big deal as long as it doesn't consume you. Same for the people who bring you down for the things you like. You like what you like and you should just rock it.
But then what fans do you cater to? the majority? Or get a few niche ones once in a while for diversity? I think ultimate is great up to now, the gameplay's really good, they have a great bunch of characters and all. I do wish there were more girls, though I also get there's a bit less notable gals in games. I'm also trying to find good playstyles that I can be interested enough to master. I still feel like I havent played the game as much as I was thinking at first.
Kazooie's a girl ;D

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That's fairly standard in any part of life. Those who get what they want are envied by those who don't have what they want. I know I'm jealous of Castlevania getting in over Bomberman, at least. It's not a big deal as long as it doesn't consume you. Same for the people who bring you down for the things you like. You like what you like and you should just rock it.

Kazooie's a girl ;D

Then lemme play as just kazooie, i dont want a big bear lugging my bird around ;P

And again, bomberman could've definitely been made into a fighter if sakurai would've had the inspiration for it. I kinda get it tho. I would've taken bomberman over them, but they're still really cool long-range characters and i know a bunch of people like 'em.

Tell me about it.....I mean Jesus Christ I've NEVER seen this amount of hate for one character.....
I think it's a combination of dlc only having 5 slots (as far as we know), erdrick not being as known in the west, and people being stingy.

If joker hadn't been a surprise drop, I bet there'd been a ton of people making up ideas for why they shouldn't be in the game. The series is much smaller than dragon quest, isn't even on a nintendo console, and there werent that many people asking for the series. It sucks that people be like that sometimes, but at the same time it opened up some time for people to warm up to it a little. some people have.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Then lemme play as just kazooie, i dont want a big bear lugging my bird around ;P

And again, bomberman could've definitely been made into a fighter if sakurai would've had the inspiration for it. I kinda get it tho. I would've taken bomberman over them, but they're still really cool long-range characters and i know a bunch of people like 'em.

I think it's a combination of dlc only having 5 slots (as far as we know), erdrick not being as known in the west, and people being stingy.

If joker hadn't been a surprise drop, I bet there'd been a ton of people making up ideas for why they shouldn't be in the game. The series is much smaller than dragon quest, isn't even on a nintendo console, and there werent that many people asking for that. It sucks that people be like that sometimes, but at the same time it opened up some time for people to warm up to it a little. some people have.
In general, people think the roster must cater to them and only them.

About the only character everyone could agree on this cycle was Inkling.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Tell me about it.....I mean Jesus Christ I've NEVER seen this amount of hate for one character.....
I haven't seen that much hate for Erdrick. Mostly just apathy. I think most people who follow Smash Bros news realize that DQ is an important piece of Nintendo history and video game history at large and deserves a spot, albeit not a spot over 'their' guy/girl.

Like yeah, there's a few oddballs here and there who "hate" Erdrick with a passion (because he 'blocks' their preferred choice). But it's mostly just apathy because they never played the games. Shame because they are missing out on a great series but oh well, can't lead the horse to water.

D

Deleted member

Although of course I don't think it's unfair at all for people to prefer characters they know and like in any scenario, I think some people just take that **** way too far.
Anything that is not exactly what I want is bad and will be the root cause of the heat death of the universe, or something like that.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I guess we can't escape the 'entitlement' thing. But what about everyone. There's times where i really wanted some characters too, so i can't ***** too much about it, but imagine how nice this place would be if we didn't shoot down others' characters all the time XD.
Like, even when i say a character doesnt have as much chance, I still think they're in the running and i'm glad if people can enjoy supporting them if they like 'em.

Just wondering, who's that character between sora and the dodgeball kid in your sig?

I haven't seen that much hate for Erdrick. Mostly just apathy. I think most people who follow Smash Bros news realize that DQ is an important piece of Nintendo history and video game history at large and deserves a spot, albeit not a spot over 'their' guy/girl.

Like yeah, there's a few oddballs here and there who "hate" Erdrick with a passion (because he 'blocks' their preferred choice). But it's mostly just apathy because they never played the games. Shame because they are missing out on a great series but oh well, can't lead the horse to water.
Oh there's been plenty of hate (even if not genuine in a sense, since they dont really know the character). Lots of 'who is that' and saying they shouldn't be in for lots of random reasons they might have.
I'm mostly ignoring it, and i know there's plenty of people who'd enjoy them or dragon quest if they havent played.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I guess we can't escape the 'entitlement' thing. But what about everyone. There's times where i really wanted some characters too, so i can't ***** too much about it, but imagine how nice this place would be if we didn't shoot down others' characters all the time XD.
Like, even when i say a character doesnt have as much chance, I still think they're in the running and i'm glad if people can enjoy supporting them if they like 'em.

Just wondering, who's that character between sora and the dodgeball kid in your sig?

Oh there's been plenty of hate. Lots of 'who is that' and saying they shouldn't be in for lots of random reasons they might have.
I'm mostly ignoring it, and i know there's plenty of people who'd enjoy them or dragon quest if they havent played.
Yeah I think people take speculation waaay to seriously.

Someday, there will be a Smash game announced with the entire roster (minus hidden characters if they do that again) just to allow everyone to give a character a chance. Will never happen but I can dream right?

To answer about the sig, Agitha from Legend of Zelda

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
If joker hadn't been a surprise drop, I bet there'd been a ton of people making up ideas for why they shouldn't be in the game. The series is much smaller than dragon quest, isn't even on a nintendo console, and there werent that many people asking for the series. It sucks that people be like that sometimes, but at the same time it opened up some time for people to warm up to it a little. some people have.
I remember when people were so adamant that he isn't gonna be in the game only to be proven wrong. Good times.

Although of course I don't think it's unfair at all for people to prefer characters they know and like in any scenario, I think some people just take that **** way too far.
Anything that is not exactly what I want is bad and will be the root cause of the heat death of the universe, or something like that.
It's pretty sad tbh

D

Deleted member

Yeah I think people take speculation waaay to seriously.

Someday, there will be a Smash game announced with the entire roster (minus hidden characters if they do that again) just to allow everyone to give a character a chance. Will never happen but I can dream right?

To answer about the sig, Agitha from Legend of Zelda
Unfortunately, there are always gonna people who are never satisfied. I think it's best for people to just have an open mind more than anything. Even though I didn't like Persona 5, I really enjoy how Joker plays. I don't see why more people can just have this outlook.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, there are always gonna people who are never satisfied. I think it's best for people to just have an open mind more than anything. Even though I didn't like Persona 5, I really enjoy how Joker plays. I don't see why more people can just have this outlook.
Because outlooks are for losers I guess :p

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
People are so invested that it's just crazy how far people will go to put your pick down like a rabid animal it's made me not like sora a bit even tho I have no problem with the character but the fans who are behind him kinda give me bad vibes even tho there probably just a small few

D

Deleted member

LOL! At least Kazooie consists of most of Banjo's arsenal so it balances out. It's like Olimar & Pikmin but with an actual character instead of a species so Banjo can't just steal Kazooie's credit lol. At least I hope not.

And don't get me wrong. Castlevania being in Smash Bros is amazing. You should have seen my reaction. I ate that up like it was a rich steak drenched in fine butter. I'm not trying to downplay them by saying I'm sad Bomberman is only an assist trophy with only one spirit for his series, but I'm sad. At least I'll always have the games and their music.

I remember when people were so adamant that he isn't gonna be in the game only to be proven wrong. Good times.
I still have the foot in my mouth to this day.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Teeb147 was talking about how she'd like some more female characters playable, which made me curious: what female characters do you want playable that aren't in yet?

I'll make a small list. You can include characters that have the option for multiple genders as well as female ones.

• Dixie Kong (from Donkey Kong Country)
  • Reporter and Wrestler (from the most well-known Rhythm Heaven minigame)
  • Shop Assistant (from the Style Savvy games. "Shop Assistant" is just what Smash Ultimate calls her in her spirit, she doesn't have a canon name)
  • Pauline (from both Mario and Donkey Kong games)
  • Toadette (from Super Mario Bros. She can be an alt of Captain Toad (who I also want in), or even an Echo Fighter.)
  • Captain Syrup (from Wario Land)
  • Ashley or Mona (from WarioWare, Inc.)
  • Zelda (the Breath of the Wild version, I appreciate ALttP / ALBW Zelda but I wanted BotW Zelda more, oh well)
  • Midna (from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
  • Krystal (from Star Fox)
  • Caeda (from Fire Emblem, specifically Marth's game)
  • Lyn (also from Fire Emblem)
  • Viridi (from Kid Icarus: Uprising, I just want another Kid Icarus goddess to use some of the moves Palutena had back in Smash 4 that were lost forever in Ultimate due to custom moves being left behind)
As for third-party ones...
  • Chun-Li (from Street Fighter)
  • Erdrick (duh)
  • Jill Valentine (from Resident Evil, Leon could be an Echo Fighter)

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
what female characters do you want playable that aren't in yet?
My most wanted, now and probably forever (because her series is dead):
Sami.png

Sami from Advance Wars. Not that I'd turn down Andy or Nell or really anybody, but Sami's the character with the most, uh, personal firepower.

D

Deleted member

Teeb147 was talking about how she'd like some more female characters playable, which made me curious: what female characters do you want playable that aren't in yet?
Let's see here.
  • Kazooie technically counts
  • Female Erdrick counts
  • Adeleine from the Kirby series
  • Hat Kid from A Hat In Time is adorable and I want her in Smash
  • Lyn from Fire Emblem
  • Kumatora can be cool
  • I'd me down with Morrigan from Darkstalkers because she kicked ass in UMvC3.
  • Rex from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 counts, because he literally can't operate without Pyra so Pyra.
  • Someone from Soul Calibur 2. Ivy, Taki, Talim, anyone.
  • Does a female bomber from Bomberman count if it's literally just a pink alt color?
I feel like I'm forgetting some, but that's fine. I already listed everyone I can immediately think of.

D

Deleted member

I'll make a small list. You can include characters that have the option for multiple genders as well as female ones.

• Shop Assistant (from the Style Savvy games. "Shop Assistant" is just what Smash Ultimate calls her in her spirit, she doesn't have a canon name)
  • Toadette (from Super Mario Bros. She can be an alt of Captain Toad (who I also want in), or even an Echo Fighter.)
  • Zelda (the Breath of the Wild version, I appreciate ALttP / ALBW Zelda but I wanted BotW Zelda more, oh well)
  • Viridi (from Kid Icarus: Uprising, I just want another Kid Icarus goddess to use some of the moves Palutena had back in Smash 4 that were lost forever in Ultimate due to custom moves being left behind)
  • Erdrick (duh)
Third party from the top of my head:
-Amateratsu from Okami
-Terra Brandford from FFVI
-Lara Croft
-2B from Nier Automata
-Velvet Crowe from Tales of Berseria
-Nakoruru from Samurai Showdown
-Mai Shiranui from KoF
-Kasumi and Ayane from DoA
-Katrielle Layton from Layton series
-Nina Williams from Tekken
-Kat from Gravity Rush (Sony I know)
-Noel Vermilion BlazBlue

First Party
-Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Twintelle, Mechanica from Arms
-The female twin from Astral Chain

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
There's very few characters I Want now in general. Only one that I absolutely need for Smash to be "perfect" is Ashley. Other than that...

1. Shantae
2. Reimu Hakurei
3. Ayumi Tachibana

are the ones I would love to see.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

• Erdrick (duh)
1st party
Dixie (Donkey Kong)
Impa (ECHO) (The Legend of Zelda)
3rd party
Jeanne (Bayonetta Echo)
Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
I don't have many I really want can't think of any I'm just begging for

Teeb147

Smash Legend

• Erdrick (duh)
Interesting to see the lists. ;p

I wont remention some of the individual ones that already were, but there's a few series I like a lot of girls from.

1. Final Fantasy -> Tifa, Yuna, Rikku, Lightning & Serah, Terra, Yuffie, Rydia, & more.
-there's also the Viera race and the Miqote that I like.

There's a character I've been wondering about, Fina, which i might not be as attached to because it's a mobile game but I absolutely love her design:
img_fina2.png

2. Dragon Quest -> All the heroes, but also the party members.

3rmkj0bvbix012.png

I havent played DQXI yet but I'm sure I'll like Jade and the other girl is really cute. The female builders are cool too.

3. Warioware -> Yes Ashley & Mona, but also Kat & Ana, and might as well say the other ones too, though they're less known (including by me)

4. Kirby -> Adelaine, Susie, The 3 Mage Sisters, and a few enemies besides that maybe.

5. Fire Emblem -> There's too many options. But Lyn and Tiki are pretty good. Micaiah is another one. Then there's Edelgard coming in hot. ;p

6. Persona -> Chie is probably my favorite. And now we know about Kasumi, so that's probably my #2. There's the other girls too.

7. Soul Calibur ->Bolderrousness mentioned some. There's also Sophitia, Cassandra, Amy, Tira, Xianghua, & more.

8. Blaz Blue -> Another fighting game. Really good one. I'm really a fan of Taokaka but they're all cool :)
-here's another image

9. Touhou & Vocaloids -> Both kind of unknown in the west, but lots of ones there. Reimu is just scratching the surface. ;p (+vocaloids like Hatsune Miku)

10. Sonic -> Amy, Blaze the Kat, and a few others.

11. Shantae & co of course ;)

12. Others. There's too many good games with some. Castlevaina had Shanoa in order of ecclasia, she'd be cool. Faith from Mirror's edge. Kat from Gravity Rush. Sakura from street fighters too. Aqua from Kingdom Hearts.. And then there's tons of anime games that could have some. Etrian Odyssey, Neptunia games, other rpgs and stuff. The Tales of Series would be great. More from Xenoblade could be cool too, though i havent played much of it.
I'm running out of brain power so it'll have to be it for now XD

Well there you go, my side on it, :p

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

• Aíran or Kachi from the Sin & Punishment series
  • Jenna from the Golden Sun series
  • Alice from the Balloon Fight sequel Balloon Kid
  • Alex Rovias from Eternak Darkness
  • Erdrick / Sofia
  • Shantae
  • Ekoro from Gal Gun Double Peace.
  • Lara Croft from Tomb Raider
  • Sophitia from Soul Calibur
(Honorable mention: Roll from Megaman)

Just to name characters that would make me hype.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Since I never see people mentioning outside of Japan, I'll add her in my list.
Shiori Fujisaki from Tokimeki Memorial as Konami rep.
If Dragon Quest is the grandfather of JRPG, then Tokimeki Memorial is the grandmother of galge or dating sims.
Both genre are super important to Japanese gaming culture.
I see her name pops up in Japanese smash community sometimes.
But she won't happen since Sakurai doesn't prefer those types of games.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If Dragon Quest is the grandfather of JRPG, then Tokimeki Memorial is the grandmother of galge or dating sims.

lol, now that would be an awesome concept of a character!

Down + B: Decision counter.

A text box appears.
Shiori: What is it that you want to tell me?

Opponent character: Umm...
a) You look great today!
b) Who are you again?
x) What are your measurements?
y) You are pretty strong!

(Player chooses presses one letter in a 2 second timer, and opponent must press one too. If both press the same one, Shiori blushes and is left open to attack, if players press different buttons, opponent is hit by a counter like move).

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Impa [Legend of Zelda]
Toadette [Treasure Tracker] (as Captain Toad's alt/echo)
Ribbon Girl [ARMS] (as Spring Man's echo)
Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
Amaterasu [Okami]
Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
Shantae [Shantae]

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
You guys have some cool and extremely varied wants for female newcomers in Smash.

• Erdrick (duh)
In fact, some of your responses reminded me that I forgot to put some names on my post:
  • Terra, from Final Fantasy VI
  • 2B, from NieR: Automata I even gave my support in her support thread how did I forget agdksoebdjj
  • Fiora, from Xenoblade 1
  • Ribbon Girl, from ARMS (Spring Man would have to be promoted to playable, as well)
And there you go. I hope we see one or two female characters in the Fighter's Pass, and of course I hope Erdrick is one of them.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Funny enough, I just watched the Game Centre CX episode on Tokimeki Memorial yesterday :seuss:.

I think Shiori's biggest hurdle is being a Japan Only Third Party. While we have had characters from Japanese exclusive games in the past, having a third party that only appeared in Japan may be a bit of stretch. While Joker and Erdrick are definitely characters designed to appeal towards a Japanese audience, they have some sort of game with a worldwide release. Tokimeki's only real appearances in the West are Shiori and Ayako's cameos in Super Bomberman R and a quick reference in High Score Girl.

That being said, if Tokimeki Memorial did see a Western release down the road, I could honestly see Shiori being a real possibility. Tokimemo 1 is a bonafide classic in Japan, always appearing high on "best games of all time" lists, and Shiori is still massively popular in Japan. Trying to find a type of merchandise without her face on it is a losing battle.

Her Final Smash has to be the bomb though, that much is certain.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So, one thing I wanted to bring up about Erdrick is that he'll be our first sword and shield user that ISN'T named Link.

Always thought it was funny that despite all the characters in Smash there was only three characters who actually used a Sword and Shield and all of them were clones of the base character, Link. Anyways, I feel like that alone can be an EASY way for his moveset to be QUITE different. Sakurai will finally craft his first Sword and Shield user from the ground up since Smash 64. That's crazy to think about.

Calane

Smash Ace
Erdrick - Dragon Quest (Obviously)
Arle Nadja - Madou Monogatari/Puyo Puyo
Shantae - Shantae
Alis Landale - Phantasy Star

I could name more, but I'll just leave it at these four.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
So, one thing I wanted to bring up about Erdrick is that he'll be our first sword and shield user that ISN'T named Link.

Always thought it was funny that despite all the characters in Smash there was only three characters who actually used a Sword and Shield and all of them were clones of the base character, Link. Anyways, I feel like that alone can be an EASY way for his moveset to be QUITE different. Sakurai will finally craft his first Sword and Shield user from the ground up since Smash 64. That's crazy to think about.
God I sure hope so.

Erdrick - Dragon Quest (Obviously)
Arle Nadja - Madou Monogatari/Puyo Puyo
Shantae - Shantae
Alis Landale - Phantasy Star

I could name more, but I'll just leave it at these four.
Alis Landale for smash would be so cool

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
  • Celica (Fire Emblem)
  • Ashley (WarioWare)
  • Shantae
  • Lyn (Fire Emblem)
  • Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
  • Tetra (Zelda)
  • Nakoruru (Samurai Shodown)

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
I have never played Nakoruru's game, but she looks like she has some interesting moveset potential.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

Redhead. I approve automatically.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Truly a legend... So much so that in Otomedius, she ended up piloting one of the most well-known, egrogiously epic bosses in the entire Gradius-series:

If I could choose some more, I'd really love to see Sayo-chan (better known as "Pocky I believe).

Maybe she could be a duo character with Rocky (Manuke)? I kinda have bee hungering for a new spin on the duo playstyle concept set by Icies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom