• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
With that Vergeben post, I'm just going to keep peddling my Erdrick/Banjo-Kazooie E3 prediction until it does or doesn't happen.

It just makes a lot of sense to me. But we'll see I guess.
It honestly makes sense being those two

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
With that Vergeben post, I'm just going to keep peddling my Erdrick/Banjo-Kazooie E3 prediction until it does or doesn't happen.

It just makes a lot of sense to me. But we'll see I guess.
That's my prediction as well, followed by the 4th fighter in September, then the last one at the VGAs.

BTW just finished DQ1 the other day for GBC. It was pretty good. It made me want to replay DQ3 lol. Started it again but for SNES this time.

D

Deleted member

Regarding what Vergeben has said, has he ever straight up said "This character is in" and been wrong? To my knowledge he has not, though outside of Smash his track record is clearly not totally clean.
If I understand correctly, he has multiple sources, right? This would lead me to believe that he has a very solid Smash source, but less significant sources in other areas. Though I'm not quite confident as to take anything as total confirmation yet, things are continuing to look up for us.
That's my prediction as well, followed by the 4th fighter in September, then the last one at the VGAs.

BTW just finished DQ1 the other day for GBC. It was pretty good. It made me want to replay DQ3 lol. Started it again but for SNES this time.
Do a party of all Jesters. And don't change them to Sages. :4pacman:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Apparently, Sakurai keeps a figure of every character he's working on, if one exists.
I managed to obtain the original, unedited image:

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Exactly what I'm thinking. The fourth during a September Direct followed by the final character at The Game Awards. It comes full circle. I'm predicting Leon and Doom Slayer for the final two. Either would make for a good announcement at the Awards. Especially with RE2 Remake likely being a GOTY nominee. While DOOM Eternal might be as well.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
So wait vergeben literally has backed Erdrick 100%? If so, I’ll surely be hoping he makes it in now.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I think Erdrick is in, but I don't think he/she will be the next revealed challenger pack (maybe #3 or #4). #2 seems to be set for an E3 reveal at this point in time.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Nice. What are you thinking about it so far? Are you watching the specials and movies too?
I have not watched the specials and movies. Just the show. For the most part I really like it but there were a lot of moments where the show gives plot armour.

View attachment 212266welp Verg came right out and said it now to see if its true plus that dude needs to leave gamefaqs its Awful there why he stays is beyond me
Maybe they enjoy the awfulness.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think Erdrick is in, but I don't think he/she will be the next revealed challenger pack (maybe #3 or #4). #2 seems to be set for an E3 reveal at this point in time.
So Brave will remain shrouded in mystery.
For a bit more at least.

I'd love if this is true, however unlikely. Waiting until after the Dragon Quest XI port was formally showcased for the Switch, then waiting a few months afterwards, then unveiling a Dragon Quest character sometime in the middle of the year (or later this month if the rumors that a separate Nintendo Direct will happen this month are true). It shows a real sense of restraint and timing if that's the case.
That’s right! I mean, I never really thought of it that way, but yeah!
Just hoping we don’t get any more delays for DQXIs. I can’t dodge spoilers forever! At least not the ones left to spoil.

I thought that as Persona had already won a award in TGA, even more as there hasn't any Dragon Quest announcement nor trailer in TGA and DQXI was competing so it wasn't good to show something about it, or if DQXI had won it could give a "rigged" feeling in it.
Well, it would have earned it fair and square, unless you mean DQXI winning just so they could show a DQ character might feel rigged, in which case, I agree. (Still... would have loved to finally be at peace back then) :D

I'm sure some wacky scheduling shenanigans must have gone on behind the scenes, especially if all five fighters pass characters are third-party, but I find it hard to believe an Erdrick reveal at the Game Awards would've ever been considered. Of course Nintendo and Square Enix both do some pretty weird stuff sometimes, but I can't imagine leading the fighters pass with a character who isn't familiar to a lot of people over here, before Western releases for the upcoming DQ games for Switch had even been announced. Better to build things up gradually and get the series on people's minds first.

Related to that, the one silly conspiracy theory I'm willing to subscribe to is: if any of the DQ leaks are for real, I don't think it's so improbable that SE or Nintendo let it slip deliberately to get people used to the idea. It's still more likely that it was genuinely accidental, and even more likely than that that it's all nonsense, but I don't think it'd be that bad of a strategy in this situation, and it does happen occasionally.
I have a feeling Square Enix is the most likely to fall behind of schedule from all 5 3rd party companies (if they were all 3rd party characters), so if Erdrick is indeed in, I bet he’s going to be like 3rd or most likely 4th. Although 3rd has the nicest ring to it due to l, you know, being his number.

That’s a pretty good theory too. And I’m not saying it just because I have recurring thoughts of them slipping and then going “oh well, might as well roll with it but keep it low profile”.

——

As for the big V.
He’s finally backing Erdrick 100% !!
Although his tone sounded pretty annoyed, as to get people out of the way. But I’ll take it.
Confidence gone up to 99,99%

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I have not watched the specials and movies. Just the show. For the most part I really like it but there were a lot of moments where the show gives plot armour.

Maybe they enjoy the awfulness.
If he likes it then I don't wanna know what he dislikes

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I'd say Erdrick and Banjo are next, since "Brave" is almost certainly Erdrick and already in the code.
They'll probably both be revealed at E3.
And that's Onyan's lock of the week !

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Plot armor is a thing that usually happens a bunch in Tokusatsu in general. But usually even with that they pull some explanations for those things.(Although some just go full Kamina and f the logic).
Saddly it make we don't worry about the main Rider too much in fights(at least till the last episodes), but they usually end up compensating making good characters, good developments and awesome fights. Hope that this thing didn't hurt that much your first impression.

Well, it would have earned it fair and square, unless you mean DQXI winning just so they could show a DQ character might feel rigged, in which case, I agree. (Still... would have loved to finally be at peace back then) :D
Yes, that what I mean. People would call that the competition was rigged if they show something like this with the winner of some category.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
This is my prediction:

E3: a formal Smash direct, where we get two characters, one of whom is Erdrick. Who the other is is up to debate. My brain says Banjo but my heart says Lycanroc.

Autumn 2019: A regular Nintendo direct ends with the announcement of Character 4 and that there will be one last Smash direct at the end of the year.

Early Winter 2019: A small Smash direct. We have Sakurai breakdown Character 4 in depth and showcase Character 5, also breaking them down. The direct ends with the announcement of a second fighter's pass, teasing the first new character for that.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
So P5S is a musou game? Dunno what I was expecting, but it definitely wasn't that. Weird that it's P5 specifically, though I guess that doesn't necessarily preclude the other games' characters from showing up.

I'll confess that I'm 100% That Guy when it comes to Omega Force. Every time a game of theirs is announced, I just wish they were working on DQ Heroes III instead.

Yes, that what I mean. People would call that the competition was rigged if they show something like this with the winner of some category.
I really doubt that was a factor. The RPG category was such an afterthought it didn't even get a sizzle reel. There might've been some grumbling, but not much more than usual.

(DQXI winning Best RPG would've been nice, but the real injustice is that it wasn't up for Best Performance. Alex Norton's Rab was award-worthy for sure)

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
So P5S is a musou game? Dunno what I was expecting, but it definitely wasn't that. Weird that it's P5 specifically, though I guess that doesn't necessarily preclude the other games' characters from showing up.

I'll confess that I'm 100% That Guy when it comes to Omega Force. Every time a game of theirs is announced, I just wish they were working on DQ Heroes III instead.

I really doubt that was a factor. The RPG category was such an afterthought it didn't even get a sizzle reel. There might've been some grumbling, but not much more than usual.

(DQXI winning Best RPG would've been nice, but the real injustice is that it wasn't up for Best Performance. Alex Norton's Rab was award-worthy for sure)
i'm excited Hyrule warriors was wonderful i didn't like the fire emblem one tho

D

Deleted member

As for the big V.
He’s finally backing Erdrick 100% !!
Although his tone sounded pretty annoyed, as to get people out of the way. But I’ll take it.
Confidence gone up to 99,99%
We already knew this thanks to Polarpanda practically telling us Verge's thoughts via their DMs in February. Despite that, this is very relieving to hear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Looks like i have a bit of stuff catch up with :O

We already knew this thanks to Polarpanda practically telling us Verge's thoughts via their DMs in February. Despite that, this is very relieving to hear.

? That dm wasn't with polar, it was zenythvydia.

It's cool to see verge confirming it again, eventhough he has said it. Now he's clarifying that it's not based on some weak rumor.

I dont think banjo will be in the game, so im not sure why there's quite a few people that think that, but hey june isn't that far away so let's just see what happens. I dont think it was good to bet an account on banjo, but it's your account so you can do what you want XD

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Looks like i have a bit of stuff catch up with :O

? That dm wasn't with polar, it was zenythvydia.

It's cool to see verge confirming it again, eventhough he has said it. Now he's clarifying that it's not based on some weak rumor.

I dont think banjo will be in the game, so im not sure why there's quite a few people that think that, but hey june isn't that far away so let's just see what happens. I dont think it was good to bet an account on banjo, but it's your account so you can do what you want XD
Oh yeah. My memory over that February disucssion was hazy on the details so I forgot Zenyth was the one who had it.

Verge is still saying Minecraft content will be in Smash so the Banjo Band is looking pretty risky right now. However, he still hasn't confirmed Steve for Smash and I got enough circumstantial evidence to say Banjo is more likely even if it's by a margin. Whatever gets you drinking a lil' hot sauce.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Was there any leak other then the best buy leak, that mentions P5S and Erdrick together?

Plot armor is a thing that usually happens a bunch in Tokusatsu in general. But usually even with that they pull some explanations for those things.(Although some just go full Kamina and f the logic).
Saddly it make we don't worry about the main Rider too much in fights(at least till the last episodes), but they usually end up compensating making good characters, good developments and awesome fights. Hope that this thing didn't hurt that much your first impression
Well I was at least glad I understood why the convenience was there. Even if it was more prominent then I wouldve liked.

man Evolt was such an enigma the whole show. Something i really loved. Although a lot of the time in the beginning i was like "this guys screwed you over so many times. Why are you still working with him haha."

I also enjoyed the power ups in Build too and my favorite rider is still Build because of the many build combinations. Genius looks a little weird but it's still cool.

Planning to go chronological from here.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Was there any leak other then the best buy leak, that mentions P5S and Erdrick together?

Well I was at least glad I understood why the convenience was there. Even if it was more prominent then I wouldve liked.

man Evolt was such an enigma the whole show. Something i really loved. Although a lot of the time in the beginning i was like "this guys screwed you over so many times. Why are you still working with him haha."

I also enjoyed the power ups in Build too and my favorite rider is still Build because of the many build combinations. Genius looks a little weird but it's still cool.

lol, i think you got some leaks mixed up ;p
None mentioned p5s, but in the 2chan posts there was p5r and p5u mentioned. The one with the 5 characters got the timline wrong for p5r, saying it'd be early 2019, and the 2 character one got everything right except jack frost being in joker's moveset.

Best buy had persona 5 listed on switch, which.. is interesting thinking about it, because the persona main games have always been exclusive to playstation up to now. It'd be cool if it was announced at e3 (or before).

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman

Evolt got as one of my favorite villains of all time, and tied with a certainly god and his father as my favorites Kamen Rider villains of all time. There is also this stage play that happen between the merge and New World: https://kamenrider.fandom.com/wiki/Kamen_Rider_Build:_Final_Stage Sadly it's only available as this wiki transcript and it's needed to watch Be The One and Prime Rogue to not get spoiled. Yes, the Best Match system of Build is one of my favorite, followed by Ex-Aid creative Gashats and OOOs Combos. Genius is like that because Fourze started a trend that the Final Forms of the Main Riders are a amalgamation from every transformation trinket.
Nice, the only thing is that after Agito the amounts of forms drop hard to most having only 2-3 forms, till Den-O starting to rising that number.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
lol, i think you got some leaks mixed up ;p
None mentioned p5s, but in the 2chan posts there was p5r and p5u mentioned. The one with the 5 characters got the timline wrong for p5r, saying it'd be early 2019, and the 2 character one got everything right except jack frost being in joker's moveset.

Best buy had persona 5 listed on switch, which.. is interesting thinking about it, because the persona main games have always been exclusive to playstation up to now. It'd be cool if it was announced at e3 (or before).
Hm I see. But none of them mentions anything about Erdrick. Oof but not surprising.

Oh yeah. My memory over that February disucssion was hazy on the details so I forgot Zenyth was the one who had it.

Verge is still saying Minecraft content will be in Smash so the Banjo Band is looking pretty risky right now. However, he still hasn't confirmed Steve for Smash and I got enough circumstantial evidence to say Banjo is more likely even if it's by a margin. Whatever gets you drinking a lil' hot sauce.
I'm hoping Banjo gets in and I'm not the biggest fan of Steve. But I won't cry over it.

Evolt got as one of my favorite villains of all time, and tied with a certainly god and his father as my favorites Kamen Rider villains of all time. There is also this stage play that happen between the merge and New World: https://kamenrider.fandom.com/wiki/Kamen_Rider_Build:_Final_Stage
I just had a quick read. That's cool! One of the things that was the best of the show was that ending. It was a bittersweet victory and I actually felt terrible that no one remembers Sento or Banjou. That actually sucks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm hoping Banjo gets in and I'm not the biggest fan of Steve. But I won't cry over it.
I got bigger things to worry about over Steve and my account being deleted so I'll manage. I haven't seen Banjo in a new game in years. What's the rest of my life at this point?

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I got bigger things to worry about over Steve and my account being deleted so I'll manage. I haven't seen Banjo in a new game in years. What's the rest of my life at this point?
True. Banjo is kind of like Geno where it's a rep that hasn't been relevant for years but is well loved by the populace. It's only a pipe dream but having Banjo would seriously win over a lot of people I find.

D

Deleted member

True. Banjo is kind of like Geno where it's a rep that hasn't been relevant for years but is well loved by the populace. It's only a pipe dream but having Banjo would seriously win over a lot of people I find.
I agree. The thing that gives me hope is Microsoft recently marketing Banjo as a mascot and Yooka-Laylee receiving millions above its intended goal. Not only does it show strong fan demand in general unlike Geno who's really most wanted by Smash fans, but it also shows that Microsoft still recognizes Banjo and is interested in the duo from a business perspective. With how Microsoft and Nintendo are teaming up now, I just can't see a better alternative for Nintendo than Banjo.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I agree. The thing that gives me hope is Microsoft recently marketing Banjo as a mascot and Yooka-Laylee receiving millions above its intended goal. Not only does it show strong fan demand in general unlike Geno who's really most wanted by Smash fans, but it also shows that Microsoft still recognizes Banjo and is interested in the duo from a business perspective. With how Microsoft and Nintendo are teaming up now, I just can't see a better alternative for Nintendo than Banjo.
That just isn't enough for banjo to get in smash. There's plenty of retro reps that people might like, and just too many characters in general that could get in.
Geno had sakurai onboard so that's a big thing. People sometimes point to a microsoft rep saying they'd be ok with it as evidence, but it makes little difference since lots of companies want characters in smash. Ultimately, I dont think there's enough in banjo's favor. Still possible, but I feel pretty safe gambling against him XD

Banjo being in wouldn't win me over anyway. I would probably not buy the character either, but i got the fighters pass in the end so i'll just get everything they end up making anyway :p

D

Deleted member

That just isn't enough for banjo to get in smash. There's plenty of retro reps that people might like, and just too many characters in general that could get in.
Geno had sakurai onboard so that's a big thing. People sometimes point to a microsoft rep saying they'd be ok with it as evidence, but it makes little difference since lots of companies want characters in smash. Ultimately, I dont think there's enough in banjo's favor. Still possible, but I feel pretty safe gambling against him XD

Banjo being in wouldn't win me over anyway. I would probably not buy the character either, but i got the fighters pass in the end so i'll just get everything they end up making anyway :p
We're ignoring that Microsoft is practically one of the biggest names in the console industry, western developer or not. Having them by Nintendo's side is probably one of the biggest gaming partnerships in decades since we all considered it impossible. The fact that they pushed for Cuphead on Eshop and are planning an XBox Live Arcade means they're definitely willing to play ball with Nintendo, and vice versa. This is a big business opportunity

Banjo is in no way guaranteed to be in Smash Bros compared to Erdrick, but the stage is certainly set for him. It's now as easy as walking up to Microsoft and asking for him. Couple that with out of four Microsoft characters--Banjo, Steve, Cuphead, and Master Chief--all but Banjo have been soft disconfirmed in some way by employees. All Banjo needs now is more leakers siding with him and less with Minecraft. Polar's source is ambiguous at best so it's not a stalwart of any kind.

Hopefully you like Banjo & Kazooie's reveal if he does get revealed since you already purchased them all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
We're ignoring that Microsoft is practically one of the biggest names in the console industry, western developer or not. The fact that they pushed for Cuphead on Eshop and are planning an XBox Live Arcade means they're definitely willing to play ball with Nintendo, and vice versa.

Banjo is in no way guaranteed to be in Smash Bros compared to Erdrick, but the stage is certainly set for him. It's now as easy as walking up to Microsoft and asking for him. Couple that with out of four Microsoft characters--Banjo, Steve, Cuphead, and Master Chief--all but Banjo have been soft disconfirmed in some way by employees. All Banjo needs now is more leakers siding with him and less with Minecraft. Polar's source is ambiguous at best so it's not a stalwart of any kind.

Hopefully you like Banjo if he does get revealed since you already purchased them all.
Who wouldn't want exclusives on their console? The ball is in nintendo's court, and there's nothing that tells us they would want to go up to them and ask for the character. The question is if they had any deals made with nintendo to get that stuff. I do think them being a big company is something. I'm like 50/50 or less on microsoft even getting a character, and then even less on banjo, since there's so many better picks business-wise. Yeh i may not like steve that much but he definitely has more of a chance. I wonder if they'd do like villager tho and steve would just be the default one, that would make it more interesting but i would rather have someone else.

Anyway, unless you find something big you probably wont convince me on it XD But good luck and let's see what happens in the next two months (including e3)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Who wouldn't want exclusives on their console? The ball is in nintendo's court, and there's nothing that tells us they would want to go up to them and ask for the character. The question is if they had any other deals. I do think them being a big company is something. I'm like 50/50 or less on microsoft even getting a character, and then even less on banjo, since there's so many better picks business-wise. Yeh i may not like steve that much but he definitely has more of a chance. I wonder if they'd do like villager tho and steve would just be the default one, that would make it more interesting but i would rather have someone else.

Anyway, unless you find something big you probably wont convince me on it XD But good luck and let's see what happens in the next two months (including e3)
Pretty much. Until we find more decisive evidence, it'll just be a moot point. We still know too little on a Microsoft rep because everybody's just saying Erdrick for now.

D

Deleted member

I enjoy Banjo talk as much as everyone (like not too much due to the continuous Steve-Banjo ****), so we should move on from the topic.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Hopefully you like Banjo & Kazooie's reveal if he does get revealed since you already purchased them all.
Here's a pet peeve I have to be honest. People actually complaining about a character in a season pass. If you don't like him/her, just don't purchase it or if you have the entire pass just don't pick the character.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I’m just gonna say I’ll probably main Erdrick when he comes out regardless of his tier. I really want to take him to the grand stage of evo if he gets in! About to see avengers endgame so keep on rolling bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom