• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

It'd be interesting to see a traditional rpg do it. A lot more to play around with could make the journey more entertaining.
I can see a potential Dragon Quest 12 advertising a massive world to explore with locales to explore and loot to discover. Technology's only ever getting bigger and I don't know where else you can go after Dragon Quest 11. Make it sort of like an open-world adventure maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I can see a potential Dragon Quest 12 advertising a massive world to explore with locales to explore and loot to discover. Technology's only ever getting bigger and I don't know where else you can go after Dragon Quest 11. Make it sort of like an open-world adventure maybe.
Yeah that'd be cool. Doesn't have to be totally open world, but something more would be cool. I havent bought DQ11 but if there'd be something like that in it you can bet I'd gotten it by now :p
Also still possible to make spin-offs if they want to keep the main series a bit more traditional (tho hopefully still new cool stuff). At least DQHeroes 2 is a bit more open than the first, and that's cool. I wonder if they'll continue that series.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also still possible to make spin-offs if they want to keep the main series a bit more traditional (tho hopefully still new cool stuff). At least DQHeroes 2 is a bit more open than the first, and that's cool. I wonder if they'll continue that series.
Haven't played DQ Heroes 2. Can you actually explore and have loot for you to collect despite being a Dynasty Warrior skin?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Haven't played DQ Heroes 2. Can you actually explore and have loot for you to collect despite being a Dynasty Warrior skin?
It's much more of an adventure like an rpg than dynasty warrior. it's not just random maps, it all connects and you can go find loot and all that, yes. But regular loot :p It's really fun and i want to continue it sometime. I got the ps4 version (because the pc version is crap). Was only 30$

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's much more of an adventure like an rpg than dynasty warrior. it's not just random maps, it all connects and you can go find loot and all that, yes. But regular loot :p It's really fun and i want to continue it sometime. I got the ps4 version (because the pc version is crap). Was only 30$
Well damn. I avoided it because my experience with Hyrule Warriors has taught me that Dynasty Warrior games are fairly similar to one another. I am suddenly now putting DQ Heroes 2 on my backlog. Will wait until I at least beat DQ 8 or 5, and see if it comes out on American Switch consoles sometime later.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well damn. I avoided it because my experience with Hyrule Warriors has taught me that Dynasty Warrior games are fairly similar to one another. I am suddenly now putting DQ Heroes 2 on my backlog. Will wait until I at least beat DQ 8 or 5, and see if it comes out on American Switch consoles sometime later.
Yeah it's different. the combat is the same but at least it's ala dragon quest for the weapons as well as some spells/skills, and you can class change too. Thogh there aren't that many classes, but enough that it's fun to explore and see which ones you like. each class can use some sets of weapons, and if you get some of them up to a certain level you can unlock a few more classes that are pretty good mixes.

Also, you can regenerate mp by hitting crits. it's an interesting spin that i dont mind at all :)

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I never played a Dynasy Warriors game for a long time because, well, they sounded awful.

Finally played Hyrule Warriors.

Yes, they apparently are awful.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I never played a Dynasy Warriors game for a long time because, well, they sounded awful.

I loved dynasty and samurai warriors, but it does get a bit old after a while unless you really like the combat. Mowing down weak enemies with combos until you get to a general/boss. basically

D

Deleted member

I loved dynasty and samurai warriors, but it does get a bit old after a while unless you really like the combat. Mowing down weak enemies with combos until you get to a general/boss. basically
I enjoyed Hyrule Warriors, but I'm not sure if that was because of the fanservice or the actual combat. Probably both because I had a good time with the story mode. It was well structured enough to keep me on my toes.

What killed it for me was how the Adventure mode either encouraged you to grind and put a lot of time into getting A ranks so you can progress. I couldn't keep at it after a certain point because there's only so many times I can keep playing those missions before I get it right.

D

Deleted member

Warriors games are pretty much love or hate, I find them pretty nice in short bursts but tend to be pretty grindy. Switch version of HW removes a lot of the tedium of the OG version in WiiU by allowing to make orders which is taken from other entries and also buy items for the adventure maps.

Quality varies a lot, mechanically FE warriors is pretty good although it lacks on the fanservice side. Personally my favorites are HW and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
There's some satisfaction in wiping out piles of enemies at once, but the real appeal of Musou games to me (I say, not really being a fan) is fretting about the battlefield, trying to be in ten places at once. The Dragon Quest Heroes games try to take the bones of a Musou game and make a real action RPG out of it, and they're improved in a lot of ways, but they totally ditch that crucial battlefield-management component. The first game tried to do a kind of tower-defense thing with monster medals and nightmaws instead, but it just isn't much fun, and the second game tones that down without replacing it with anything, so the missions are pretty dull. A whole lot of protecting weak NPCs against waves of enemies.

Still, I'm glad they tried something more ambitious than just a reskin like Hyrule Warriors mostly was. Despite taking some steps back, Heroes II was a good improvement over the first game, so even though I'm mixed on the sub-series I still want to see a third one. Builders is a much better attempt at DQ-izing a different franchise, though.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's some satisfaction in wiping out piles of enemies at once, but the real appeal of Musou games to me (I say, not really being a fan) is fretting about the battlefield, trying to be in ten places at once. The Dragon Quest Heroes games try to take the bones of a Musou game and make a real action RPG out of it, and they're improved in a lot of ways, but they totally ditch that crucial battlefield-management component. The first game tried to do a kind of tower-defense thing with monster medals and nightmaws instead, but it just isn't much fun, and the second game tones that down without replacing it with anything, so the missions are pretty dull. A whole lot of protecting weak NPCs against waves of enemies.

Still, I'm glad they tried something more ambitious than just a reskin like Hyrule Warriors mostly was. Despite taking some steps back, Heroes II was a good improvement over the first game, so even though I'm mixed on the sub-series I still want to see a third one. Builders is a much better attempt at DQ-izing a different franchise, though.
That's true. It does take away the battlefield management which can be fun in a way (tho can still get repetitive easily enough, so any of it could be improved).

Heroes 2 certainly not perfect, and the reviews reflect that, but they did a huge improvement on the first, and hope the trend continues.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
That's true. It does take away the battlefield management which can be fun in a way (tho can still get repetitive easily enough, so any of it could be improved).

Heroes 2 certainly not perfect, and the reviews reflect that, but they did a huge improvement on the first, and hope the trend continues.
It definitely doesn't have any depth or strategy to it, but it contributes to the rhythm that makes Musou games satisfying. You've always gotta get moving somewhere. It could definitely be expanded into... actually being strategic, but I think totally leaving that part out was unwise.

Heroes II definitely gets big points for the proper overworld and for expanding skills and trying out a class system for the hero characters. It felt like a solid first step toward something genuinely great, and it'd be a real shame if there was never a Heroes III that took those ideas all the way. And maybe added some characters from games that aren't DQIV, jeez.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I enjoyed Hyrule Warriors, but I'm not sure if that was because of the fanservice or the actual combat. Probably both because I had a good time with the story mode. It was well structured enough to keep me on my toes.
That's how I knew how much I'd really hate DW, because the fanservice in HW couldn't save it for me.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
All the subjective parts of the Musou experience aside, I don't think the framework of its combat is particularly good. The hits totally lack impact unless you're comboing 150 guys at once (which you usually are, granted), and the movement's extremely clunky. Most of the time you can avoid feeling that stuff since the enemies are braindead, but bosses make the problems obvious.

DQ Heroes has much, much better enemy variety than any other Musou game I'm aware of, with a few that even fight back sometimes, and there are even things like status ailments you can be hit with. Nice ideas, but ever needing to defend yourself has the knock-on effect of laying bare just how awful it feels to block, dodge or jump.

...I feel like I'm talking more crap than I actually feel. I did enjoy the Heroes games, and they're worth playing just for novelty's sake, though I'd grab 'em on deal if you can, and maybe just skip the first unless you're a real mark for Yangus or the brides. They might have weak combat and lousy stories, but you can tell they tried.

It is fun to hear characters from the text-only games voiced for the first time. I particularly like that Terry sounds like the doubly-edgy offspring of Shadow the Hedgehog and Virgil; as someone who was introduced to the character as a happy kid in Dragon Quest Monsters, his adult self came as kind of a shock.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I don't think I ever told this thread, but I've been playing Dragon Quest 6 this whole time, and I'm grinding in the final dungeon.

I should finish the game within a few days, and I'll give my thoughts then.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Going back to Dragon quest 12 topic. Hopefully we dont get a chosen one trope. I think it would be dope if we get something akin to DQ5

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Going back to Dragon quest 12 topic. Hopefully we dont get a chosen one trope. I think it would be dope if we get something akin to DQ5
I like how DQIX deal with it, you're aren't the chosen one, but the only one that can deal with what's happening because of the situation your character got in.

D

Deleted member

I don't think I ever told this thread, but I've been playing Dragon Quest 6 this whole time, and I'm grinding in the final dungeon.

I should finish the game within a few days, and I'll give my thoughts then.
Needing a few days to finish the final dungeon sounds like a red light against the game.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I don't think there's much to worry about. Dragon Quest hasn't actually done that very often, with IV as the only one apart from XI to really make a fuss about the hero being the chosen one, as far as I can remember. Even I, II and III only kind of get into that, and in most of the others the hero is just some guy.

It's the same deal with the destroyed hometown; that's a common RPG cliché, but the only Dragon Quest game that did it before XI was IV, again, and the event in XI was probably meant as a nod to IV.

I'd love to see something similar to VII again, though, just some kids on an adventure. I'm not crazy about VII as a whole package, but "Chronicles of Narnia except you're resurrecting the planet" is a strong premise.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I loved that when I played IV right after the Erdrick trilogy, I was immediately hooked because this time the monsters were on the lookout for the hero. Wanting to stop a foreseeable prophecy/pattern before it began. That’s hardcore.

It’s be like Ganon sending his troops all over Hyrule looking for Link before he even realized he was supposed to turn into a hero.
It’s like straight out of a manga or something.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I don't think there's much to worry about. Dragon Quest hasn't actually done that very often, with IV as the only one apart from XI to really make a fuss about the hero being the chosen one, as far as I can remember. Even I, II and III only kind of get into that, and in most of the others the hero is just some guy.

It's the same deal with the destroyed hometown; that's a common RPG cliché, but the only Dragon Quest game that did it before XI was IV, again, and the event in XI was probably meant as a nod to IV.

I'd love to see something similar to VII again, though, just some kids on an adventure. I'm not crazy about VII as a whole package, but "Chronicles of Narnia except you're resurrecting the planet" is a strong premise.
Yeah I just like the idea from the Erdrick trilogy (especially 3 where he was great because he earned it not necessarily because hes special). The Erdrick lineage is just a family of badasses like the Belmonts.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I like how DQIX deal with it, you're aren't the chosen one, but the only one that can deal with what's happening because of the situation your character got in.
If a character is the only one who can possibly solve the conflict, regardless of the reasoning why, that's still The Chosen One trope.
Needing a few days to finish the final dungeon sounds like a red light against the game.
It happens a lot in DQ. The final boss is usually a bit of a difficulty spike. So if you've been progressing through the game at a give rate, you'll probably find that you have to spend some time in the final dungeon(or wherever the strongest metal slimes you've found appear) in order to get on it's level.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It happens a lot in DQ. The final boss is usually a bit of a difficulty spike. So if you've been progressing through the game at a give rate, you'll probably find that you have to spend some time in the final dungeon(or wherever the strongest metal slimes you've found appear) in order to get on it's level.
That is good to know and it even makes sense for the final boss to be a difficulty spike.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
No, that's just me.

I can beat the game right now if I wanted to, but a lot of podcasts have built up in my feed the past month, unlistened, and I figured the best way to catch up with them in bulk is grinding in the final dungeon to do something with my hands while listening to them all

I have more podcasts to listen to and I can probably finish the game either tonight or tomorrow since I'm almost caught up.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
If a character is the only one who can possibly solve the conflict, regardless of the reasoning why, that's still The Chosen One trope.
I said only one that can solve the conflict because, is the only one that know about the conflict beforehand. Is the only that could do something before is 100% too late, but not the only one that could do something at all.
That's what I meant.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Having to grind a little in dragon quest is what I like about the older games. I dont like when you can just steamroll through the game. regular RPGs are easy enough as it is. I'd like a hard difficulty if they decide to make it more casual. And at the very least more harder dungeons on the side and after the main game. Technically there is that in DQ9 since that's what you do after, grind harder dungeons, but I dont like how hard it is to find them.

And Ideally you'd need to level a little + get some classes and skills that help the team. Maybe I say that because I like some strategy rpgs.

D

Deleted member

No, that's just me.

I can beat the game right now if I wanted to, but a lot of podcasts have built up in my feed the past month, unlistened, and I figured the best way to catch up with them in bulk is grinding in the final dungeon to do something with my hands while listening to them all

I have more podcasts to listen to and I can probably finish the game either tonight or tomorrow since I'm almost caught up.
Okay. I feel you. I thought the situation was, "Alright. Time to farm for over eight hours to have a shot at the final boss." My Elementary school Pokemon memories were flashing back even if they weren't as severe as that.

Having to grind a little in dragon quest is what I like about the older games. I dont like when you can just steamroll through the game. regular RPGs are easy enough as it is. I'd like a hard difficulty if they decide to make it more casual. And at the very least more harder dungeons on the side and after the main game. Technically there is that in DQ9 since that's what you do after, grind harder dungeons, but I dont like how hard it is to find them.

And Ideally you'd need to level a little + get some classes and skills that help the team. Maybe I say that because I like some strategy rpgs.
I get this. It was my biggest issue with Super Mario RPG actually, because that game falls apart easily as long as you keep a steady level curve. (Once you get Geno Beam and Princess Peach, the game is practically over, but it never ended.) Stopping to grind doesn't kill a game for me. I did it for Persona 4, I did it for Paper Mario some, and I did it for Pokemon. I assumed the worst for Yunglink by thinking, "Crap, so he's gonna do three hours a day repeatedly before he can have a shot against the final boss? That sounds awful!" A standard amount of grinding, though? That's reasonable.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Okay. I feel you. I thought the situation was, "Alright. Time to farm for over eight hours to have a shot at the final boss." My Elementary school Pokemon memories were flashing back even if they weren't as severe as that.

I get this. It was my biggest issue with Super Mario RPG actually, because that game falls apart easily as long as you keep a steady level curve. (Once you get Geno Beam and Princess Peach, the game is practically over, but it never ended.) Stopping to grind doesn't kill a game for me. I did it for Persona 4, I did it for Paper Mario some, and I did it for Pokemon. I assumed the worst for Yunglink by thinking, "Crap, so he's gonna do three hours a day repeatedly before he can have a shot against the final boss? That sounds awful!" A standard amount of grinding, though? That's reasonable.
Yeah i get it. If it was just to have a shot that'd be a bit much for a lot of people. Fine for extra/secret bosses tho :)
I have a friend who spent I dunno how days grinding in one of the DQs (6 or 7) just to get most of the class skills. And of course there's worst than that. Some games are almost all about grinding (like some mmos) :p

D

Deleted member

Yeah i get it. If it was just to have a shot that'd be a bit much for a lot of people. Fine for extra/secret bosses tho :)
I have a friend who spent I dunno how days grinding in one of the DQs (6 or 7) just to get most of the class skills. And of course there's worst than that. Some games are almost all about grinding (like some mmos) :p
Secret bosses can be fun because they're supposed to kick my ass. Reminds me of the Mike Tyson Dream Bout. You're not fighting him for an easy win, but a glorious one X). I remember fighting the final bosses in Dragon Quest 9 being extremely cool and the Pit of 100 Trials being a cool gauntlet for Paper Mario. I'd probably be that guy who stop to fight most of the Kingdom Hearts post-game bosses.

And yeah some games are pure grinding. My mind immediately goes to Terraria of all games, in which you do a lot of resource grinding, especially in hard mode because potion buffs start becoming vital. Stopped being fun after a while lol. (I say as I pumped over a hundred hours into the game because yeehaw was it fun.)

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I just got someone from the Dragon Quest discord give me a translated Dragon Quest 3 for the SNES for emulation. So hopefully I get to play it once this semesters over. I'm tempted to solo run but I feel like I'll probably get destroyed LOL

D

Deleted member

I just got someone from the Dragon Quest discord give me a translated Dragon Quest 3 for the SNES for emulation. So hopefully I get to play it once this semesters over. I'm tempted to solo run but I feel like I'll probably get destroyed LOL
When you think about it, none of the other heroes who followed Erdrick were remembered as well in the DQ lore (to my knowledge).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wouldn't solo run it on a first playthrough XD
Have you ever tried that with older games?

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I wouldn't solo run it on a first playthrough XD
Have you ever tried that with older games?
Nope!

When you think about it, none of the other heroes who followed Erdrick were remembered as well in the DQ lore (to my knowledge).
See the theory behind that from what I gathered, is that solo run is either the canonical way (and goes to show just how badass Erdrick is), or Erdricks party is considered like a small army like everyone remembers Beowulf but nobody cares about the people he led.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nope!

See the theory behind that from what I gathered, is that solo run is either the canonical way (and goes to show just how badass Erdrick is), or Erdricks party is considered like a small army like everyone remembers Beowulf but nobody cares about the people he led.
I just looked quickly, and apparently it's maybe not possible to solo it unless you know some particular tricks or items. particularly because of one or some bosses:
"The thing that causes you to fail otherwise is not being able to inflict enough damage to offset his regeneration before you have to heal. Not even with a lucky critical hit or two can the Hero finish him off most of the time. "

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I just looked quickly, and apparently it's maybe not possible to solo it unless you know some particular tricks or items. particularly because of one or some bosses:
"The thing that causes you to fail otherwise is not being able to inflict enough damage to offset his regeneration before you have to heal. Not even with a lucky critical hit or two can the Hero finish him off most of the time. "
Actually I found a playthrough where a guy went through a solo run of DQ3. He uses save states though lol. But hey, Erdrick is just a chad I guess. Dude's 16 years old and he just leads people to kill an archfiend and his master.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Actually I found a playthrough where a guy went through a solo run of DQ3. He uses save states though lol. But hey, Erdrick is just a chad I guess. Dude's 16 years old and he just leads people to kill an archfiend and his master.
Well, yeah if you use save states you can save and load every turn to get critical hits, and avoid all the hard stuff on the way to the bosses, etc.
I think that kinda eliminates the point of the challenge tho, unless someone just wants to get a feel of the solo journey :p

I like your new erdrick avaatar ;)

D

Deleted member

Well, yeah if you use save states you can save and load every turn to get critical hits, and avoid all the hard stuff on the way to the bosses, etc.
I think that kinda eliminates the point of the challenge tho, unless someone just wants to get a feel of the solo journey :p

Yeah, that new avatar is pretty sweet and cool.
I also like your’s.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

Thank you! I wish I remembered where I found this LOL. I love your profile too, goes to show that Persona art is always the best, fan art or nah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom