• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I know this is an Erdrick thread, but what other reps would you guys want. From most want to least want.

1. Erdrick/Luminary
2. Riou from Suikoden 2
3. Dante from DMC
4. Ryu from Breath of Fire franchise (3 or 4)
5. Ryu Hayabusa
1) Erdrick/any DQ character/Crono
2) Mike (Startropics)
3) Ryu Hayabusa / Joe Musashi (Shinobi)
4) Doomguy
5) Rash/Zits (Battletoads)

(This list is of course after the spirit apocalypse)

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
You know I often see Ryu Hayabusa but Joe Musashi is just as influential
Joe's problem is he has to compete with SEGA's other much-requested characters, and they've got two and a half fighters in the game already. Meanwhile Ryu Hayabusa is a pretty prominent face for Koei Tecmo, and they haven't got anybody in Smash yet.

The other issue is that there hasn't been a Shinobi game in eight years, and SEGA tends to treat its legacy franchises pretty badly in general, even by megacorp standards.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Joe's problem is he has to compete with SEGA's other much-requested characters, and they've got two and a half fighters in the game already. Meanwhile Ryu Hayabusa is a pretty prominent face for Koei Tecmo, and they haven't got anybody in Smash yet.

The other issue is that there hasn't been a Shinobi game in eight years, and SEGA tends to treat its legacy franchises pretty badly in general, even by megacorp standards.
He kind of has that Geno syndrome sadly.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman

Also Ryu is a major character in two franchises, Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive, this must also count in his favor compared to Joe.

Erdrick not being a part of the Fighters Pass makes it sound like a bad Fighters Pass, especially if he's coming after the first Fighter Pack.
It kinda sounds like a fake leaker wanting to include more characters in their leak.
I think he still be Brave. I thought that if this is real, they could have did that to make him some kind of bundle character that can be obtained registering a DQXIS in the Nintendo Network aside for a regular purchase, just like Piranha Plant. Would be a good marketing move to put even more spotlights over DQXIS and also open a window to more characters have a free bonus on other games, but still been able to be purchased individually. Other good thing is that will reduce the stupid rage complain of people over Erdrick being a "spot-stealer anime swordsman" as he will not count as one of the 5 bundled packs.

But I agree the Fighter Pass been only those guys is kind weak in overall. Joker and Velvet are pretty good, I look more for Tales of Berseria and now I would like her much more then Lloyd. I like Samurai Warriors but I thought that are better SNK reps. A Resident Evil rep in Smash always feels weird to me, but been Jill, Chris or RE4 Leon could be nice, I'm not that much into Nemesis or Wesker coming before any of those three. I have nothing against the Steve-supporters or Minecraft, my Sister-in-law is a Steve-supporter, but for most people excited for the Fighter Pass he is kind the cold water bucket over the head.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You know I often see Ryu Hayabusa but Joe Musashi is just as influential
It’s a pity, really. Shinobi games are really fun. And it’s one if not SEGA’s oldest IP (with a presence) In fact I can’t seem to choose which I like best. Both are amazing in their own way.

As far as character design goes, I feel Joe has become more iconic (huge red scarf, white gi) where as Ryu almost looks like a regular ninja. I miss Ryu when he was blue lol.

Still, both awesome ninja characters. And I’ll take either one for Smash.

I actually made a thread for Joe Musashi. I’d be surprised if it got at least 10 views.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It’s a pity, really. Shinobi games are really fun. And it’s one if not SEGA’s oldest IP (with a presence) In fact I can’t seem to choose which I like best. Both are amazing in their own way.

As far as character design goes, I feel Joe has become more iconic (huge red scarf, white gi) where as Ryu almost looks like a regular ninja. I miss Ryu when he was blue lol.

I actually made a thread for Joe Musashi. I’d be surprised if it got at least 10 views.
Unfortunately i dont think ive ever played a Shinobi game, so I have little interest in musashi. I like Ryu, on the other hand, and im a fan of ninjas, so i guess that'd be alright. I do have a lot of other characters i'd like better before him. but that's just me tho.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Even though we have 3 separate playable Sega characters, all from different series, I hope that if the Smash team ever feels like it then they include some classic Sega characters from their arcade days. Games like 1942, OutRun, Phantasy Star, Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, these are all super cool and I'd like to see some of that presence in Smash someday.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Also Ryu is a major character in two franchises, Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive, this must also count in his favor compared to Joe.

I think he still be Brave. I thought that if this is real, they could have did that to make him some kind of bundle character that can be obtained registering a DQXIS in the Nintendo Network aside for a regular purchase, just like Piranha Plant. Would be a good marketing move to put even more spotlights over DQXIS and also open a window to more characters have a free bonus on other games, but still been able to be purchased individually. Other good thing is that will reduce the stupid rage complain of people over Erdrick being a "spot-stealer anime swordsman" as he will not count as one of the 5 bundled packs.

But I agree the Fighter Pass been only those guys is kind weak in overall. Joker and Velvet are pretty good, I look more for Tales of Berseria and now I would like her much more then Lloyd. I like Samurai Warriors but I thought that are better SNK reps. A Resident Evil rep in Smash always feels weird to me, but been Jill, Chris or RE4 Leon could be nice, I'm not that much into Nemesis or Wesker coming before any of those three. I have nothing against the Steve-supporters or Minecraft, my Sister-in-law is a Steve-supporter, but for most people excited for the Fighter Pass he is kind the cold water bucket over the head.
I really dig the idea of a promotional thing like Piranha plant. Ir just opens the doors for other means of getting into smash.

EDIT: I wish we had a Breath of Fire rep

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I really dig the idea of a promotional thing like Piranha plant. Ir just opens the doors for other means of getting into smash.
I dont think they'll do others, but i could see some mii outfits, spirits or echo fighters maybe.
I do wish im wrong on that one tho :p Would be nice to have more than 5 characters per year for sure.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I do think, if a DQ character is gonna happen, paid DLC was probably not the ideal way to do it. I guess the timing of the base game's release might not have suited the upcoming projects they're trying to promote or maybe negotiations ran long, but asking people to pay for a thing they've never heard of is naturally going to put some of them off, and limit the potential audience just on the basis of being an add-on.

I don't believe that 5ch post even a little, but Erdrick for free would definitely get people's attention in a positive way. It's hard to imagine even Nintendo investing in promoting DQ like that, though, never mind Square.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If we're talking ninjas, I've never played either of their games. I'd rather have Ryu for his icon factor and because he looks like a traditional ninja. I feel we don't have a lot of those kind of characters and Sheik and Greninja don't really cut it for me. I know about Ninja Gaiden purely because of the bird enemies, so hopefully those make an appearance in Smash lol. Just me?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I do think, if a DQ character is gonna happen, paid DLC was probably not the ideal way to do it. I guess the timing of the base game's release might not have suited the upcoming projects they're trying to promote or maybe negotiations ran long, but asking people to pay for a thing they've never heard of is naturally going to put some of them off, and limit the potential audience just on the basis of being an add-on.

I don't believe that 5ch post even a little, but Erdrick for free would definitely get people's attention in a positive way. It's hard to imagine even Nintendo investing in promoting DQ like that, though, never mind Square.
You forget that japan can account for maybe even millions of purchases just by themselves :O
It's a good choice financially. (with promotion too)

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
You forget that japan can account for maybe even millions of purchases just by themselves :O
It's a good choice financially. (with promotion too)
It's not that it wouldn't make money, but if westerners aren't interested and don't buy the character, that wasn't exactly a successful promotion.

Of course tons of people are just gonna buy the whole pass, but the character and franchise will definitely be exposed to less people than if they'd been in from Day 1.

D

Deleted member

You say that, but Nintendo investing itself in Dragon Quest is pretty much the only reason it's localized somewhat in the west. I think DLC is just inherently not going to leave everybody happy about the choices, so if it has to happen, just go all out with what you planned.

Plus since it's Smash Bros DLC, it's going to inherently sell. There's not much real issue with Erdrick being in when it comes to the west. Maybe some disappointment but that's short term when we have three other DLC characters yet to be announced.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's not that it wouldn't make money, but if westerners aren't interested and don't buy the character, that wasn't exactly a successful promotion.

Of course tons of people are just gonna buy the whole pass, but the character and franchise will definitely be exposed to less people than if they'd been in from Day 1.
I do think you have a point, but i dont think it's that big of a deal too much, in the same way that any dlc character is a bit for promotion and yet some people dont know them and may not buy them. People who still play the game will face the characters online, and see them at tournaments, etc. so it'll still have quite a bit of attention.

SE would probably have to pay nintendo to make the character as free dlc, and then it's solely promotion but is that really worth it? this way it still gets exposure but makes money of its own.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I agree. Ideally there'd be more base roster newcomers than the seven we have (excluding echoes). Unfortunately, Erdrick had to be pushed for DLC. I think the goal is to expose Dragon Quest, and the positive reception Erdrick does receive is the kind of reception that will actually matter to Nintendo. After all, Dragon Quest being in Smash Bros is bound to spark interest and discussion about the series. Sounds like a successful promotion to me, even if it wont sell as good as the other DLC fighters.

*resists making a poor taste Corrin joke*
The sad thing about Corrin is that they don't even come with a stage or much new music. Fire Emblem Fates presentation feels underutilized when that's its best feature.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
We could at least have a Nina assist trophy.
If Breath of Fire is an option, I hope they pick BOF3 Ryu since that's my personal favorite Breath of Fire game. That or BOF4 because of the music.

Even though we have 3 separate playable Sega characters, all from different series, I hope that if the Smash team ever feels like it then they include some classic Sega characters from their arcade days. Games like 1942, OutRun, Phantasy Star, Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, these are all super cool and I'd like to see some of that presence in Smash someday.
I prefer having a rep from Phantasy Star, since that game is just as important as FF and DQ. As much as I respect Streets of Rage and Shinobi, I'd rather have Cody Travers and Ryu Hayabusa respectively.

I agree. Ideally there'd be more base roster newcomers than the seven we have (excluding echoes). Unfortunately, Erdrick had to be pushed for DLC. I think the goal is to expose Dragon Quest, and the positive reception Erdrick does receive is the kind of reception that will actually matter to Nintendo. After all, Dragon Quest being in Smash Bros is bound to spark interest and discussion about the series. Sounds like a successful promotion to me, even if it wont sell as good as the other DLC fighters.
Sadly for better or for worse. The amount of disrespect Dragon Quest often gets is really disappointing to me. Since they can't get past the surface level stuff when the games are often quite profound (especially DQ11 which beat Persona 5 in favorite JRPG and that's nothing to scoff at).

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I end up putting the Hero to bundle with DQXIS, but forgot that I was considering the rumor and it gives a even more fitting scenario: The Hero from DQIiI been bundled with Erdrick's Trilogy remaster, winch by the rumors would come before DQXIS.

It’s a pity, really. Shinobi games are really fun. And it’s one if not SEGA’s oldest IP (with a presence).
I think the oldest with a presence was Alex Kidd, winch was the second mascot of SEGA. A thing that bothers me that neither he nor Opa-Opa become a SEGA Assist Trophy neither Spirits, nor a Puyo Spirit. All winch SEGA always bring to their commemorative thing, even the SEGA-Themed Animes. And when comes the biggest game-history celebrating game they don't ask to add those. SEGA is weird.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I end up putting the Hero to bundle with DQXIS, but forgot that I was considering the rumor and it gives a even more fitting scenario: The Hero from DQIiI been bundled with Erdrick's Trilogy remaster, winch by the rumors would come before DQXIS.
God I'd love an Erdrick Trilogy remaster. That would certainly be perfect for those that never played his games (including myself)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Not really. Shinobi's 3d reboot didn't take off and Shinobi doesn't show up in a fighting game franchise.
I blame a boring box art and the fact that they changed protagonists. But I enjoyed PS2 Shinobi way more than reboot Ninja Gaiden.

Also, Joe has been appearing in SEGA related spinoffs at least. And the 3DS game is easily my favorite or 2nd favorite in the series. It’s a new entry done well, using everything that made the best ones the... well... best.

I do think Ryu is way more likely for Smash though. SEGA is weird, and super shill when it comes to guest character choices (looking at you All Stars Racing Transformed) Tecmo doesn’t have the plethora of stellar characters to go with. IMO it’s either Ayane or Ryu Hayabusa.

And I also share the sentiment that I need a true ninja in smash since Sheik is a sheikah and Greninjanis a Pokemon. But there’s still no “realistic” ninja character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, I was the Erdrick supporter who survived the longest in the Smashboards Hunger Games!
Kudos to @Bolderousness too for also making it far!

D

Deleted member

So, I was the Erdrick supporter who survived the longest in the Smashboards Hunger Games!
Next time, we can win if we keep this pace. Also hopefully I wont kill Ryumo next time either.

E: Also don't count Teeb147 Teeb147 out either because she was also in the top 10.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Next time, we can win if we keep this pace. Also hopefully I wont kill Ryumo next time either.
I dont even know in what district i was in, but technically we're 4 so we could all be in the same.

anyway, i think i've seen enough of those games for a little while :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yup.
I plan to root for the people here and ShinyLegendary.

But at the moment, we shall celebrate with a huge dinner at Trode’s castle.

D

Deleted member

I dont even know in what district i was in, but technically we're 4 so we could all be in the same.

anyway, i think i've seen enough of those games for a little while :p
Ryumo and I were in the same district, which didn't matter when he was the only person I murdered during the whole game.

And yeah, this game took up my whole afternoon and spring break is just about over. Back to work.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ryumo and I were in the same district, which didn't matter when he was the only person I murdered during the whole game.

And yeah, this game took up my whole evening and spring break is just about over. Back to work.
It's still amusing just because of all the comments. else it's purely gambling.

How would people feel if Dragon Quest had a much bigger looting system with random chances to get gear and items? I do like that kind of gambling in some games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How would people feel if Dragon Quest had a much bigger looting system with random chances to get gear. I do like that kind of gambling in some games.
The commentary is hilarious because everyone is making up their own story in their heads. Like me, who was doing jack all throughout the whole game and survived for a while.

In terms of a looting system, I don't know many RPGs that really do that. At most, enemies have common and rare drops, but I don't know many opportunities a person could loot beyond side quests... Unless DQ doesn't give you much for side quests. I haven't played many games so I don't remember any specifics. Maybe you can clarify what you mean?

D

Deleted member

How would people feel if Dragon Quest had a much bigger looting system with random chances to get gear and items? I do like that kind of gambling in some games.
If it doesn’t involve real money or is as fair as Injustice 2’s loot system, I am fine with it.
If it involves real money or works like in Battlefront 2, I only accept it for a mobile game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The commentary is hilarious because everyone is making up their own story in their heads. Like me, who was doing jack all throughout the whole game and survived for a while.

In terms of a looting system, I don't know many RPGs that really do that. At most, enemies have common and rare drops, but I don't know many opportunities a person could loot beyond side quests... Unless DQ doesn't give you much for side quests. I haven't played many games so I don't remember any specifics.
Well, i mean yeah the side-quests dont give out much a lot of times. Getting seeds and important stuff is cool tho. But I mean games like Borderlands and Diablo where you have a chance to find armor or weapons with all sorts of stats and effects, and rarer ones are good. Also wouldnt mind more frequent magic water drops to use more magic :p

and maybe more side- dungeons to test your might.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, i mean yeah the side-quest dont give out much a lot of times. Getting seeds and important stuff is cool tho. But I mean games like Borderlands and Diablo where you have a chance to find armor or weapons with all sorts of stats and effects, and rarer ones are good. Also wouldnt mind more frequen magic water to use more magic :p
Oh I definitely get you now. Yes. I'd love a Borderlands-esque treasure system. If Dragon Quest doesn't do that already, then it should get on that. The hero already checks every pot and well for a random item. Do it for gear too.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oh I definitely get you now. Yes. I'd love a Borderlands-esque treasure system. If Dragon Quest doesn't do that already, then it should get on that. The hero already checks every pot and well for a random item. Do it for gear too.
It'd be interesting to see a traditional rpg do it. A lot more to play around with could make the journey more entertaining.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom