• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I have two possible guesses for potential symbols: the bird/Ramia on Erdrick's shield, or the dragon on the title for the original Dragon Quest (as well as DQXI, which might be good if Luminary is indeed an alt). I went and made UI mock-ups for what they could look like in-game, so what do y'all think?
I'm gonna re-reply, 'cause I've been playing Heroes II, and I completely forgot that there's a part of the map (in the snow area) shaped like a giant Emblem of Erdrick, where you find Erdrick's equipment.

Yeah, that's the series symbol for sure.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
It'll end up being something really lame, like the letters "DQ".
It's silly that Final Fantasy couldn't do any better than "FF". All those beautiful logo designs across the whole series, and it ends up with pffffhh. If they were gonna ignore the whole rest of the series anyway, they might as well have just gone with FFVII's meteor.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
It's silly that Final Fantasy couldn't do any better than "FF". All those beautiful logo designs across the whole series, and it ends up with pffffhh. If they were gonna ignore the whole rest of the series anyway, they might as well have just gone with FFVII's meteor.
My theory is that, for the indefinite future, they DON'T want to ignore the whole rest of the series anyway. Maybe someday we'll get a Final Fantasy character not from FF7, and then not making Cloud's logo the Meteor would make sense.

I personally don't expect this to happen in this game's life cycle, but hey, maybe in another game.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
My theory is that, for the indefinite future, they DON'T want to ignore the whole rest of the series anyway. Maybe someday we'll get a Final Fantasy character not from FF7, and then not making Cloud's logo the Meteor would make sense.

I personally don't expect this to happen in this game's life cycle, but hey, maybe in another game.
Heres the hope we get Terra. Or if sticking with FF7, Tifa

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Could be a longer version of the level up jingle, that starts with the victory sound.
Would be nice if they put some of the orchestrated version of the songs along with their Midi versions.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I feel like the victory theme and level up theme are too simple, and they'd go with a remix of the main theme instead.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

Then instead of the big dumb "FF" I wish we'd gotten the crystal from Dawn of Souls. That's a pretty good representation of a large part of the series.

Heres the hope we get Terra. Or if sticking with FF7, Tifa
I love Tifa and all, but if we got a 2nd FF7 character there's no way it'd be anyone but Sephiroth.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Then instead of the big dumb "FF" I wish we'd gotten the crystal from Dawn of Souls. That's a pretty good representation of a large part of the series.

I love Tifa and all, but if we got a 2nd FF7 character there's no way it'd be anyone but Sephiroth.
That'd be the most likely, but if he's tired of putting sword characters in then I think that could give a chance to her :).

Also, I really doubt we'd just get 'DQ', but if we do then at least we can make Dairy Queen jokes. I think the emblem is the most likely tho.

Something like this?
I can easily see that one. Wouldn't mind some mix of victory plus level up either :)
Personally I'd like to see them alternate so that we could get different jingles too.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

Final Fantasy 7 doesn't have any crystals (the Materia are orbs, or crystal balls, but either way they're spherical), so that logo wouldn't apply to Cloud.

Using the series initials is probably the best thing they could have done.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
The new-character-joins-the-party jingle was suggested a while back, and while I don't think that'd be ideal as a victory theme, I do think it'd be cute to play it in a reveal trailer, like, ending with the [JOINS THE BATTLE!] splash. Maybe it's a touch long, though.

I'm very fond of Dragon Quest's assortment of sound effects and jingles, and I'm glad (and a little surprised) that there's never really been an attempt to localize them out of the games out of fear that they're too cheesy or game-y.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Final Fantasy 7 doesn't have any crystals (the Materia are orbs, or crystal balls, but either way they're spherical), so that logo wouldn't apply to Cloud.

Using the series initials is probably the best thing they could have done.
No, initials are extremely lame and lazy.

A series symbol does not have to represent every single game in the franchise(guess what, not every Zelda game has the triforce in it), just enough.

Ramia's symbol is not in every DQ game, but would still probably be DQ's symbol.

A good 4-5 main Ff games and a ton of spinoff games revolve around the Four Crystals. And those that done still have some kinda crystals in them. And that opening FF Prelude is practically the theme of crystals.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It would be my same issue with Mario Maker but amplified. I'm too lazy to make anything and too pessimistic to play any fan creations.
It works with mario maker because it's easy to make levels.
Dragon Quest maker would have to do something special to make it wasy, like make small maps with a goal in mind. Kinda like 1-minute hero i guess.

I could see it possible, but it wouldn't really be DQ as much since you cant have a long adventure without it taking months to make :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It works with mario maker because it's easy to make levels.
Dragon Quest maker would have to do something special to make it wasy, like make small maps with a goal in mind. Kinda like 1-minute hero i guess.

I could see it possible, but it wouldn't really be DQ as much since you cant have a long adventure without it taking months to make :p
True. I know there are RPG Makers, and maybe one or two took off. I just don't know why. Assuming they can even make a Dragon Quest Maker, you're right, it would take longer to make an adventure compared to your average Mario Maker level. Plus, unlike platformers, you're dedicating way more time to playing an RPG so you can't just blitz through a bunch of creations.

Maybe it could work, maybe it couldn't. I just know I wouldn't play it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Gentlemen. Thoughts on a Dragon Quest maker?
Let's up it to the next level: Dragon Quest Infinite.

Like, for real, you can make a program that randomly generates RPG with the same depth as DQ1 with ease, put in some effort and you can even reach something almost like DQ3.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
True. I know there are RPG Makers, and maybe one or two took off. I just don't know why. Assuming they can even make a Dragon Quest Maker, you're right, it would take longer to make an adventure compared to your average Mario Maker level. Plus, unlike platformers, you're dedicating way more time to playing an RPG so you can't just blitz through a bunch of creations.

Maybe it could work, maybe it couldn't. I just know I wouldn't play it.
*cough*

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Gentlemen. Thoughts on a Dragon Quest maker?
Don't know what they could do to make it more unique then RPGMaker.
One think that I think was to make it more a game then RPGMaker, with simplified building mechanics and style changes. The heroes, npcs and bosses could have a create-a-character menu.

But about the RPGMaker, I love working with it, even though I haven't finished that much things with it.

D

Deleted member

Oh hey I'm a Smash Lord already. Neat. Give me a year and I'll be a Smash Brave no problem.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Let's up it to the next level: Dragon Quest Infinite.

Like, for real, you can make a program that randomly generates RPG with the same depth as DQ1 with ease, put in some effort and you can even reach something almost like DQ3.
Me and a friend have been talking about more programs doing this. There really isn't anything that makes it super simple and has lots of ways to generate maps and characters well. It'd certainly be nice for any rpg maker program, tho i guess having all the heroes from past games could help, well all characters ever actually would be good :p, but then it might also make people too busy playing them to buy the new dragon quest games :p

In any case, it's still great ideas. I just hope they end up working out in general, and for Dragon quest to also get great ideas in general too XD

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Me and a friend have been talking about more programs doing this. There really isn't anything that makes it super simple and has lots of ways to generate maps and characters well. It'd certainly be nice for any rpg maker program, tho i guess having all the heroes from past games could help, well all characters ever actually would be good :p, but then it might also make people too busy playing them to buy the new dragon quest games :p

In any case, it's still great ideas. I just hope they end up working out in general, and for Dragon quest to also get great ideas in general too XD
I did a language major around 2011-2013, which I dropped, but while in there, I couldn't help but to notice that not only you have effective ways to generate maps and towns, but you can also easily generate a story randomly, especially something as simple as DQ1. Even dialogue, which might seem like a big stone in the way is actually quite simple and its not easy to say, have a NPC randomly comment about an object in their surroundings. The problem is really getting enough people who know each of the generators to work together to link all of them, so the story generator interacts with the character generator which sets up the map generator, so on...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I did a language major around 2011-2013, which I dropped, but while in there, I couldn't help but to notice that not only you have effective ways to generate maps and towns, but you can also easily generate a story randomly, especially something as simple as DQ1. Even dialogue, which might seem like a big stone in the way is actually quite simple and its not easy to say, have a NPC randomly comment about an object in their surroundings. The problem is really getting enough people who know each of the generators to work together to link all of them, so the story generator interacts with the character generator which sets up the map generator, so on...
It's still pretty hard to program something cohesive and coherent and that wouldn't mess some things up when there's so many variables, but it's definitely possible and im sure eventually it'll be a thing. And at the very least if it can generate some stuff to work with it'd still be much quicker than having to do everything from scratch

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
what about Dragon Quest X Final Fantasy (maybe a fighting game or a new RPG)
I doubt an rpg, unless it's a small lighter spin off kinda like final fantasy world.
The Forthune street game is what we have for now, but maybe eventually they'll decide to do something bigger like youre saying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom