• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

what about Dragon Quest X Final Fantasy (maybe a fighting game or a new RPG)
That would be one way for me to try out Final Fantasy. Unless they make it like Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei.

Me and a friend have been talking about more programs doing this. There really isn't anything that makes it super simple and has lots of ways to generate maps and characters well. It'd certainly be nice for any rpg maker program, tho i guess having all the heroes from past games could help, well all characters ever actually would be good :p, but then it might also make people too busy playing them to buy the new dragon quest games :p

In any case, it's still great ideas. I just hope they end up working out in general, and for Dragon quest to also get great ideas in general too XD
I feel like with the power to just make a crap ton of Dragon Quest scenarios with the goal being to explore all of the content, what would be the difference between this generated Dragon Quest game and an intentionally programmed standard Dragon Quest game with a bunch of smaller side quests? You know, besides having all of the different heroes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That would be one way for me to try out Final Fantasy. Unless they make it like Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei.

I feel like with the power to just make a crap ton of Dragon Quest scenarios with the goal being to explore all of the content, what would be the difference between this generated Dragon Quest game and an intentionally programmed standard Dragon Quest game with a bunch of smaller side quests? You know, besides having all of the different heroes.
Everything being intentionally programmed usually has a lot more detail and quality. Tho i dont find dragon quest games are the most nuanced, not to say they're generic, but some things could be easily generated. They'd definitely have to step up their game if programs like that came out.

Im wondering about the 3d/2d options too, including with DQ11. I havent looked too much into it but those types of features are awesome.

D

Deleted member

Everything being intentionally programmed usually has a lot more detail and quality. Tho i dont find dragon quest games are the most nuanced, not to say they're generic, but some things could be easily generated. They'd definitely have to step up their game if programs like that came out.

Im wondering about the 3d/2d options too, including with DQ11. I havent looked too much into it but those types of features are awesome.
Hmm. You have a point with the earlier titles because those scripts and assets aren't too complex for a random generator. For me, I see this working as a separate Dragon Quest title where you travel to different planets and save them from the different evil monsters wrecking havoc on them.

The graphics shifter is honestly something I wish were emulated more in gaming. Like imagine if Super Mario Odyssey went all the way and could let you switch between Mario 64 graphics. Or Pokemon? Megaman 11? Final Fantasy? There's a lot of potential for it, but it's probably too much work for what it is practically cosmetics. Could be good DLC, though.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
It always impressed me this has not happened yet in a fighting game, but hey, what better place to fix that than Smash? I am sure Nintendo will love the free press XD

D

Deleted member

If it's a 2d fighter, that be top tier. Either that or a better Dissidia.
2D Fighter would be preferred. They typically have greater competitive potential and can look amazing with the right animation. Something like Dragon Ball Fighter Z or Persona 4 Arena.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
2D Fighter would be preferred. They typically have greater competitive potential and can look amazing with the right animation. Something like Dragon Ball Fighter Z or Persona 4 Arena.
I can just picture it:

Hero (DQ1) is a balanced basic character
Prince of Midenhall is combo heavy
Erdrick is a character with utility (spells and equipment)

Obviously, the only problem is what will make this work. It has the potential, just the matter of actually showcasing it.

D

Deleted member

I can just picture it:

Hero (DQ1) is a balanced basic character
Prince of Midenhall is combo heavy
Erdrick is a character with utility (spells and equipment)

Obviously, the only problem is what will make this work. It has the potential, just the matter of actually showcasing it.
I would imagine them pulling more from side characters for the DQ roster so there would be greater moveset diversity. Same with Final Fantasy but to a lesser extent probably.

Not sure how they would go about showcasing this. Maybe if they went with a Toriyama style since that is practically what makes Dragon Quest look cool. So maybe something like Dragon Ball Fighter Z? Wouldn't hurt.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Still crazy to me that Jump Force has a Dragon Quest character in it of all games. Even as big of a **** show as that game is that's pretty cool.

D

Deleted member

Still crazy to me that Jump Force has a Dragon Quest character in it of all games. Even as big of a **** show as that game is that's pretty cool.
For Jump Force, I was hoping for more different series to be represented and less of the big names being represented too much like Dragon Ball or One Piece. They're undoubtedly legendary, but it falls into the Mario representation issue in Smash to where I'm asking "Can we see something else?" You know, like Yugi from Yu-Gi-Oh or Dai, as you said. They're awesome. Dragon Ball and Naruto are especially egregious because they already have fighting games.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
If we're talking FF x DQ, someone's obligated to mention Chrono Trigger, so I guess I will. I wish more people understood how much Dragon Quest is in that game; it goes a lot deeper than just the art style. It has plenty of its own special something that doesn't come from either of its parents, but it's easy to pick out the FF-isms and DQ-isms if you have some knowledge of those series.

Of course, even better than Chrono Trigger itself are the dorky publicity shots they did of Horii, Sakaguchi and Toriyama. Horii and Sakaguchi weren't involved as deeply as with their home series, but I think it's telling that when Masato Kato went solo for Chrono Cross, the results were, uh, mixed.

While I think a truly great 3D arena fighting game is possible and just hasn't happened yet, a traditional 2D fighter is definitely the safer option in the right hands. Toss another one on ArcSys's pile, I guess.

I'd hope that the FF side of the roster would take a cue from the way DQ usually handles crossovers and put more focus on the party member characters, rather than Oops! All Protagonists like Dissidia. Not that FF needs that as badly as DQ since its main characters aren't as similar to each other, but it'd be a lot more interesting if they threw in some weirdos like Gau or Steiner or Fran.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If we're talking FF x DQ, someone's obligated to mention Chrono Trigger, so I guess I will. I wish more people understood how much Dragon Quest is in that game; it goes a lot deeper than just the art style. Of course, it has plenty of its own special something that doesn't come from either of its parents, but it's easy to pick out the FF-isms and DQ-isms if you have some knowledge of those series.

Of course, even better than Chrono Trigger itself are the dorky publicity shots they did of Horii, Sakaguchi and Toriyama. Horii and Sakaguchi weren't involved as deeply as with their home series, but I think it's telling that when Masato Kato went solo for Chrono Cross, the results were, uh, mixed.

While I think a truly great 3D arena fighting game is possible and just hasn't happened yet, a traditional 2D fighter is definitely the safer option in the right hands. Toss another one on ArcSys's pile, I guess.

I'd hope that the FF side of the roster would take a cue from the way DQ usually handles crossovers and put more focus on the party member characters, rather than Oops! All Protagonists like Dissidia. Not that FF needs that as badly as DQ since its main characters aren't as similar to each other, but it'd be a lot more interesting if they threw in some weirdos like Gau or Steiner or Fran.
What do we have to do to get them together for another game?

D

Deleted member

Its one of the best selling mangas of the magazine (plus a great manga as well), it just saddens me that it took so long to appear in a Jump crossover and missed the good ones like Ultimate Stars.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This might sound weird, but the generating vs intentional developping made me think of how some things can be automatic or with bigger design intended. And like, imagine if every item on the map had some kind of purpose. In a way I feel like Chrono trigger is much more an example of things having more nuance, but anyway really if you think about it developpers arent making full use of things being purposeful.

You could say well maps and stuff dont need to be so well designed, but then look at games like zelda where you have puzzles in a lot of places and that gives a unique feel to the environments because you really want to explore them and find cool stuff or secrets (or heart pieces). It adds a lot.

So a higher level of design does add a lot, and you can only get that from humans. I'm sure after there's more of that those could be even other variables in generating areas with more purpose (like to generate puzzles that have solutions).
It's harder to think how that could apply to dragon quest, but I still see a lot of potential for even higher purpose to design. Like imagine there'd been a war among gods and you'd see craters of skills, and like zigzags of them across a map to say there was a divine zap that shot on the surface. You know what I mean? If you dont have things like puzzles, have cool ruins to interact with and have a mysterious environment. Could be funny too with slimes living in crevaces and then the main character in the new game can understand monsters so you could hear interesting lore conversations from the monsters.
Look I'm just brainstorming out loud lol.

So that's kind of my idea for how developpers can take things further, including than auto-generated maps (which could be cool to have too as part of some games somehow.).

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
That reminds me of a episode of Yuusha Yoshihiko.

I think a crossover like that could be good with another rpg system then DQ or FF, I think a good one would be Mario&Luigi RPG or OG Paper Mario. This style is a good mashup of DQ classic turn RPG with newer FF action RPG.

But actually they already have a party game crossover, Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Did you guys saw the new 5ch rumor?
It confirmed 5ch and Vergeben's ones. But said that Erdrick(or as he referred all the time, the Hero(of DQIII)) as a playable character with male/female will be selled out of the Fighter Pass as a soon Standalone DLC, probably he was planned before the Fighter Pass. Erdrick costume will be Mii Costumes(Erdrick's Armor) and Slime will be a hat. Stage Alefgard. Did know about the alt costumes or things about DQXI, thou.
But backed Erdrick's Trilogy remaster(who he mistakenly called a remake).
He said also about Velvet from Tales of Berseria, Nakoruru from Samurai Showdown, Someone from Resident Evil and Steve. And talked about the Ballot. DQ was the third franchise more requested with combined votes, Pokémon and Final Fantasy was the first and second.
In Smash wiki they organized some info but not all of it.

It's a DLCs prediction thread, the first post is the rules and the OP's prediction. The guy that claimed this rumor is the one with this ID:MSBlsq9u0
It's all in Japanese: http://itest.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1552719097/

Last edited:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
So, P5R got a teaser. It's called Persona 5 the Royal, and it revealed this character with a ponytail.
I'm not sure if they explicitly confirmed that this is going to be a fem protag, but it's safe to assume, given what the Smash datamine implies.

That said, I don't think it's been said outright, nor has her Phantom Thief outfit been properly revealed, so don't expect any Joker gameplay, or any Smash news, until April 24.

It confirmed 5ch and Vergeben's ones. But said that Erdrick(or as he referred all the time, the Hero(of DQIII)) as a playable character with male/female will be selled out of the Fighter Pass as a soon Standalone DLC, probably he was planned before the Fighter Pass. Erdrick costume will be Mii Costumes(Erdrick's Armor) and Slime will be a hat. Stage Alefgard. Did know about the alt costumes or things about DQXI, thou.
He said also about Velvet from Tales of Berseria, Nakoruru from Samurai Showdown, Someone from Resident Evil and Steve. And talked about the Ballot. DQ was the third franchise more requested with combined votes, Pokémon and Final Fantasy was the first and second.

It's a DLCs prediction thread, the first post is the rules and the OP's prediction. The guy that claimed this rumor is the one with this ID:MSBlsq9u0
Erdrick not being a part of the Fighters Pass makes it sound like a bad Fighters Pass, especially if he's coming after the first Fighter Pack.

It kinda sounds like a fake leaker wanting to include more characters in their leak.

D

Deleted member

So, P5R got a teaser. It's called Persona 5 the Royal, and it revealed this character with a ponytail.
I'm not sure if they explicitly confirmed that this is going to be a fem protag, but it's safe to assume, given what the Smash datamine implies.

That said, I don't think it's been said outright, nor has her Phantom Thief outfit been properly revealed, so don't expect any Joker gameplay, or any Smash news, until April 24.

Erdrick not being a part of the Fighters Pass makes it sound like a bad Fighters Pass, especially if he's coming after the first Fighter Pack.

It kinda sounds like a fake leaker wanting to include more characters in their leak.
Now you see, my theory is that it's just a new character like Marie from Persona 4 Golden. That's where my expectations are set so let's see if they really can go beyond with her actually being the female Joker.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Now you see, my theory is that it's just a new character like Marie from Persona 4 Golden. That's where my expectations are set so let's see if they really can go beyond with her actually being the female Joker.
From what I've seen on Twitter that seems like that's gonna be the case

D

Deleted member

Yeah, someone translated it the other day. It also came with supposed ballot results.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
She has a ponytail so... she's the mc, in smash :)

Let's freakin GOOOO

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

She has a ponytail so... she's the mc, in smash :)
The hairdo is definitely the biggest part about her because it connects with the Smash data we know. If a female Joker exists, this would be the design to use.

I just don't want to get my hopes up only for Atlus to just make her a social link character.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The hairdo is definitely the biggest part about her because it connects with the Smash data we know. If a female Joker exists, this would be the design to use.

I just don't want to get my hopes up only for Atlus to just make her a social link character.
I really think it's almost guaranteed. She has to have a persona to be a stand in for joker. ;)

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
I just remembered that South Park Stick of Truth, of all games, has Canada being Dragon Quest... for some reason.

(And it's really DQ, not say, FF, due to the open buildings and the stair sound effect)

D

Deleted member

I really think it's almost guaranteed. She has to have a persona to be a stand in for joker. ;)
Her persona would definitely be a female Arcene like how they made a separate female Orpheus for Persona 3's female protag.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Her persona would definitely be a female Arcene like how they made a separate female Orpheus for Persona 3's female protag.
Depending on how they put arsene in the moveset, it could be possible for her to have a different persona, but i think it's likely like youre saying.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
That's possible especially based on what we know. But Mystic has been wrong about alot of stuff so i wouldnt take his word with too much.
Honestly I don't feel like shes a female protagonist but we'll see IN freaking APRIL THANKS FOR NOTHING ATLUS

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Honestly I don't feel like shes a female protagonist but we'll see IN freaking APRIL THANKS FOR NOTHING ATLUS
She has to play like joker somehow. But yeah, really hard to tell her real role.
Still thinking we'll get info at Sega Fes. hoping, anyway.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
That's possible especially based on what we know. But Mystic has been wrong about alot of stuff so i wouldnt take his word with too much.
Mystic's a translator. I'd 100% believe them in this instance. Regardless, This character is a first year as opposed to a 2nd year like Joker. At this point, it is pretty clear she is not a Female Joker.

D

Deleted member

If she's going to be playable in Smash Bros but is not Joker or even the female protagonist option, I can only imagine her purpose is an alternate scenario or new content that explores a different side to the story. Kind of like how Persona 3 FES had another story where you controlled Aegis.

My question is why is Goro asking this random Shujin student what they think of the Phantom Thieves? I have an idea as to why and it goes into a bit of spoiler territory.

After you beat the second dungeon, the Phantom Thieves gain enough popularity to warrant media attention and minor law enforcement. The gang head to an interview show that has Goro who denounces the Phantom Thieves. He then proceeds to ask a random audience member in the crowd what they think about the Phantom Thieves. You basically just go "**** you, Goro. They're good."

Now the conflict is that you can't say the Phantom Thieves are bad so what does this all mean? I got no clue. Maybe you're forced to agree with him in this alternate female universe. Here's the scene yourself if you're curious.

This really could just be another story mode like how Persona 3 FES crammed another story into it. All ideas seem to point toward it the more I think about it. Though, if they make another story entirely, they could just rewrite everything to accommodate for a female Joker. Either or, it's technically a female protagonist.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Mystic's a translator. I'd 100% believe them in this instance. Regardless, This character is a first year as opposed to a 2nd year like Joker. At this point, it is pretty clear she is not a Female Joker.
I disagree. And it's his theory, btw.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't know what there is to disagree with. Whoever the girl is, she's not part of the Phantom Thieves. That's made abundantly clear in the dialog.
Not really. She could be indirectly denying that she is one, unlike ren who mostly says nothing. She could also join up later than when she says those things.
I would watch for believing theories when we dont really know what it's about.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think the general consensus is that we don't know what she is. Too many possibilities on where this could go to really narrow it down other than she might be in Smash Bros as an alt.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think the general consensus is that we don't know what she is. Too many possibilities on where this could go to really narrow it down other than she might be in Smash Bros as an alt.
Yeah. I'm just glad about the smash part for now. Thing is we might not get joker until the end of april :/

Ah well, more speculation until april i guess :p :sadeyes:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I just want to know if were getting 5 on switch at all it better not be ps4 exclusive why even put out that survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom