• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
So any idea on what the series logo for Dragon Quest would look like? I would imagine it'd have to be something that's universal to the series and not necessarily tied to DQ3 itself. Fortunately I don't think there's anything from that game that could inhibit the selection of choices.

I have two possible guesses for potential symbols: the bird/Ramia on Erdrick's shield, or the dragon on the title for the original Dragon Quest (as well as DQXI, which might be good if Luminary is indeed an alt). I went and made UI mock-ups for what they could look like in-game, so what do y'all think?
Mockups like these give me life.

Erdrick's emblem isn't universal, but there's really no other symbol in the series that comes close. The silhouette of a slime, maybe, but I think it's more likely that Erdrick (or whoever) would just have a slime hanging out in his render. There's gotta be one on the amiibo, right?

Calane

Smash Ace
I know this is an Erdrick thread, but what other reps would you guys want. From most want to least want.

1. Erdrick/Luminary
2. Riou from Suikoden 2
3. Dante from DMC
4. Ryu from Breath of Fire franchise (3 or 4)
5. Ryu Hayabusa
1. Erdrick/Any DQ Hero (There's hope)
2. Adol Christin (Unlikely)
3. Takamaru (Not happening)
4. Arle Nadja (Unlikely)
5. Saki Amamiya (Not happening)
6. Isaac/Matthew (Not happening)
7. Bandana Waddle Dee (Probably not happening)
9. Bomberman (Not happening)
10. Wonder Boy Rep (Unlikely)
11. Alis Landale (Unlikely)
12. Lip (Not happening)

And a bunch of other characters I didn't mention here. This list isn't entirely accurate in terms of most wanted to least wanted, but all of these are characters that I'd really love to see. Almost every character I want has next to no chance of ever being playable in Smash, lol. Not Ultimate, anyway.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
4. Arle Nadja (Unlikely)
12. Lip (Not happening)

And a bunch of other characters I didn't mention here. This list isn't entirely accurate in terms of most wanted to least wanted, but all of these are characters that I'd really love to see. Almost every character I want has next to no chance of ever being playable in Smash, lol. Not Ultimate, anyway.
At least your #1 has some good chances ;)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
From most want to least want

1. Ashley
2. Erdrick
3. Yuri Lowell
4. Reimu Hakurei

Ashley's the only one that's a must have for me. Erdirck is an inclusion that should have already happened and I would just like to see the other two.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo:
  1. Paper Mario
  2. Dixie Kong
  3. Another human Pokémon character
  4. Eevee
  5. Lots of characters from older, but not quite "retro" or "classic" series, like Sin and Punishment, StarTropics, Golden Sun, Panel de Pon, etc.
Third party:
  1. Erdrick from Dragon Quest
  2. Someone from the main Shin Megami Tensei series (I like Joker but I hope he doesn't close the door for someone like Demifiend or the SMT1 protagonist from making it in)
  3. Leon, Jill, or Chris from Resident Evil
  4. The Prince of All Cosmos from Katamari Damacy
  5. Doomguy even though I've never played the Doom games
Cynthia would be a awesome Pokémon Human Character, even though we can't use her Lucario, she still have Garchomp, Roserade and Spiritomb, all winch can bring a whole new sort of Pokémon Moves and unique fighting styles to Smash. Specially Spiritomb(I see a combination of Piranha Plant and Ness in she).

The three that I most want(aside Erdrick) are pretty random xD

1st - Metabee/KBT-1(Medarot/Medabot)
I loved that franchise as a kid and still like it even can't playing the games. It would be awesome if he got a part swiping mechanic letting to use arms, heads and legs from another Medarots each one with it's own specials, maybe with a individual hp for each part to balance it.
2nd - Viewtiful Joe
This is another series that I loved and miss a bunch. It would be awesome to have him with his VFX as Specials that can mess with a small portion of the stage with his special meter been the balance. Also Shocking Pink Bombs could be dropped in his Down B.
3rd - Laharl or Etna(Disgaea)
I played very little of Disgaea, My brother that loves a lot the series. But I love the humor and "overthetopness" of the series. And aside for any of thoses probably been super fun characters(specially Etna if she use Prinnys as living weapon and meat shield) to play, with the crazy nature of the series they could turn their invite to Smash in a canon thing inside the story lore.

Downing to 11 the list is:

4 - Kunio-Kun
5 - Neku Sakuraba (TWEWY)
6 - Hera/Divine Queen Hera (PaD)
7 - Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
8 - Kyo Kusanagi (The King of Fighters)
9 - Hunter or Felyne (Monster Hunter)
10 - Llyod (Tales of)
11 - Crono (Chrono Trigger)

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
4. Arle Nadja (Unlikely)
12. Lip (Not happening)

Whoa somebody else besides me who'd love to see Alis Landale!

Phantasy Star is cool.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Ngl since so many of the characters and series I wanted in Smash are now playable, it’s hard for me to think of anymore characters. But I can think of some characters off-hand:

Nintendo:
1. Dixie Kong (DK)
2. Elma (Xenoblade)
3. Paper Mario (Mario)

Third-party:
1. Sir Arthur (Ghosts ‘n Goblins)
2. Terra Branford (Final Fantasy)
3. Dragonborn (Elder Scrolls)
4. Erdrick (Dragon Quest, but you knew that already lol)
5. Master Chief (Halo)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's some artwork in the Dragon Warrior 3 (nes) handbook that I find funny. Definitely not the art we're more familiar with :p

Screenshot_2019-03-21 Dragon Warrior 3 NES Manual - dw3nes_manual pdf.jpg

449f6d05-acc1-4e67-9abb-0dc81f633eb8.png

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I love how most JRPG manuals of the SNES and NES ditch the anime aesthetic and just add generic western fantasy artwork. Happened with BoF as well.
ah yeh? I havent seen those.
Here's some from the first Dragon Warrior. :p

Screenshot_2019-03-21 Dragon Warrior (U) pdf(1).png

Screenshot_2019-03-21 Dragon Warrior (U) pdf.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I love how most JRPG manuals of the SNES and NES ditch the anime aesthetic and just add generic western fantasy artwork. Happened with BoF as well.
It happened the other way around too.
ultimafamicom.png

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I actually really like Dragon Warrior II's western box art. It's not just some generic fantasy art; you can clearly recognize what the monsters are supposed to be, there's Hargon and Malroth in the background, and the Prince of Midenhall even has Erdrick's emblem on his wrestling title belt. The artist obviously got to see some of Toriyama's art before he went to work, it's cute.

...the twist is that the artist here was Japanese (Hiroshi Kajiyama, apparently), so there's a good chance he'd actually played DQII.

It's amusing to me that most of the classes are modeled after Toriyama's designs, but for the Goof-off the artist went completely off the rails and accidentally created Debora and Sylvando.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I know this is an Erdrick thread, but what other reps would you guys want. From most want to least want.

1. Erdrick/Luminary
2. Riou from Suikoden 2
3. Dante from DMC
4. Ryu from Breath of Fire franchise (3 or 4)
5. Ryu Hayabusa
Late to the party but my picks would be
1.Erdrick DQ
2.Ryu Hayabusa - Ninja Gaiden
3.Master Chief - Halo
4.Dante - DMC
5.Lloyd - Tales
6.Adol - Ys
7.Jill Valentine/ Chris Redfield - Resident Evil
8.Banjo & Kazooie - Banjo Kazooie
9.Terry Bogard - Fatal Fury
10.Sora - Kingdom Hearts
And I'd want all of them but if I had to pick who I don't care if they got in it be Sora although I know he'd be cool

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
4. Arle Nadja (Unlikely)
12. Lip (Not happening)

God I'd love Adol and Alis to be in Smash. Then the golden age of JRPGs are reunited. (Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, Shin Megami Tensei (technically), and YS)

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Damn, I forgot Hera from Puzzles&Dragons on my list, she is the actual number 6, pushing everyone bellow a row down. I thought she goes as a nice mobile rep with lots of nice music.

(Fixed, also swapped Crono and Lloyd, as Crono have some similarities with Erdrick, and as I'm putting Erdrick above all that list, I thought that was better to rise Lloyd)

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
God I'd love Adol and Alis to be in Smash. Then the golden age of JRPGs are reunited. (Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, Shin Megami Tensei (technically), and YS)
That's the main reason why I want him other then the awesome soundtrack to get in and ryu needs to see his NES buddies again Simon got to Ryu should get the chance

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
That's the main reason why I want him other then the awesome soundtrack to get in and ryu needs to see his NES buddies again Simon got to Ryu should get the chance

Can we just take a moment and imagine if all of these legendary JRPG titles from the 80s were in smash bros together.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman

Can we just take a moment and imagine if all of these legendary JRPG titles from the 80s were in smash bros together.
They need to make an actual Smash Bros RPG someday. It would be awesome to have a heavier story, combined attacks, more characters(some rpg formats are easier to program then Smash), various enemies and multiple worlds explorations.

(Actually I'm doing something like that in RPGMaker, just waiting till all dlc characters been announced. But it's actually based on Kamen Rider Ex-Aid, a Super Smash Bros Ultimate Gashat is the central focus of the story. I write almost all the story leaving spots for the dlc and started making the assets, before my rooting campaign for Erdrick started. There's over a 100 playable characters, and each Gamer Rider had at least one new form based on the franchises in Smash.)

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

sadly tho out of all the characters i want i think adol has the least high chances mostly because Falcom is weird Ryu H has alot going for him Anyone from Microsoft has stuff going for them so does a tales rep but adol i just don't think he can happen but boy do i think he'd be cool just for music alone

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
They need to make an actual Smash Bros RPG someday. It would be awesome to have a heavier story, combined attacks, more characters(some rpg formats are easier to program then Smash), various enemies and multiple worlds explorations.
Huh, I was thinking exactly about that. Imagine making a party with DQ, FF, BoF, Phantasy Star characters to face Rabbid Ganondorf

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1 - Roto
2 - Banjo
3 - Dixie
4 - Crash

Oh, and I found a chibi-version official female Erdrick. Seesh enix, what is that party compositon

It's actually a thing. Alright, morr female Erdrick hype.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Huh, I was thinking exactly about that. Imagine making a party with DQ, FF, BoF, Phantasy Star characters to face Rabbid Ganondorf
I can already picture it. When the hero of legend fails to kill Ganon, he eventually evolves into a intelligent Calamity that effects other universes thanks to the corruption of the triforce. Power so great it affects the amala network.

So it's up to heroes from other universes (the five I listed) to kill it and bring peace to all worlds.

D

Deleted member

ah yeh? I havent seen those.
Here's some from the first Dragon Warrior. :p

View attachment 199853
View attachment 199865
There's some artwork in the Dragon Warrior 3 (nes) handbook that I find funny. Definitely not the art we're more familiar with :p

View attachment 199846
The amazing thing here is that these honestly aren't horrible. They appeal to the average westerner depiction of a fantasy genre. It's not the unique Toriyama art style, but it's interesting to see the designs with a more "realistic" take. They still play up the idea that you're going on a quest, which I like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
So, what would Erdrick's victory theme be?
The level up theme seems a bit too short, but I'm not sure how appropiate a remix of the Overture would be.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
So, what would Erdrick's victory theme be?
The level up theme seems a bit too short, but I'm not sure how appropiate a remix of the Overture would be.
Someone on the board mentioned a mix of the victory jingle and the level up jingle together.

EDIT: Also our lord and savior DragonGarowLee posted this

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The moment we complete that Erdrick server and the link is shared, I'll join as fast as possible.

D

Deleted member

The moment we complete that Erdrick server and the link is shared, I'll join as fast as possible.
I wasn't sure if I was going to make the Discord since it didnt seem like there was a whole lot of interest, but if more people do want me to then I can go ahead later today

Last edited by a moderator:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
Someone on the board mentioned a mix of the victory jingle and the level up jingle together.

EDIT: Also our lord and savior DragonGarowLee posted this
Best Erdrick design.

I imagine the victory jingle could be incorporated to the instrumentation of whatever theme they go with. Like, the jingle is slightly audible after the last note.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
I think it will be the same deal as Mario with Victory + Level Up.

RPG victory themes are actually divided in DQ like (short jingles) and FF like (continued themes), it's hard to think they wouldn't stay true to DQ as part of the branding typical to smash.

Then again, Pokemon and Megaman...

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I think it will be the same deal as Mario with Victory + Level Up.

RPG victory themes are actually divided in DQ like (short jingles) and FF like (continued themes), it's hard to think they wouldn't stay true to DQ as part of the branding typical to smash.

Then again, Pokemon and Megaman...
Considering it's DQ, I'm sure it will be the case. Now I want Erdricks design to be composite, his SNES design with the NES colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom