• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Hopefully, his victory theme is just the DQ victory sound. That would be pretty dope.
My idea is the DQ victory sound, followed by an embellished version of the level up song.

You can make jokes about how Erdrick is battling other Smash characters to grind for his next adventure.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Anybody have favorite DQ monsters?
I still think I like Slimes most :)
Its hard not to have Slime as the favorite species.

I also love facing the Puppeteer from DQ8, which I always find hilarious.

Also, the Magic Mirror from DQ4 and DQ6 because then I get to fight the heroes!

As far as design goes, Abhorrent Knight And it’s derivatives is one of my favorites.

And the Haxsaurus species (I think it was called, the t-rex wielding an axe) has really grown on me.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
My idea is the DQ victory sound, followed by an embellished version of the level up song.

You can make jokes about how Erdrick is battling other Smash characters to grind for his next adventure.
To Erdrick, the other characters are nothing more then fodder :p

Anyways using Teebs B moveset as a template and after conducting some of my own research, this is how I'd do his moveset:

In terms of his basic tilts, aeriels and jab combos, all of them would be a mixture of Erdricks equipment (like the destructiball, Sword of Erdrick, etc.) with his zair/grab being a whip since he can equip them in DQ3

Neutral B: Drop down menu - Erdrick accesses a drop-down menu which gives him three spells he can choose from. Frizz, Zap and Heal. After he selects one of them, Erdrick can use that spell. The downside is that he can only use one spell at a time, so he has to switch them after use.

Side-B: Boomerang/Snooze - So there are two options here, one is the boomerang which acts exactly like Links boomerang (or it has flame effects like the flametang boomerang). The other option is more interesting, very close up, Erdrick can cast snooze similar to Mewtwos stun ability. This can be a great tool to use to keep an opponent off-guard while also having a lot of end lag as a punish.

Up-B: Zoom - Kind of like a mixture between Palutena and Ness's recovery, Erdrick has to be stationary before the recovery is finished which shoots him straight up vertically (as high as a Cloud limit), however, he is useless once he is at aerial drift.

Down-B: Tension/Pep/Kaclang- As stated by Teebs "Can charge tension, but it's not like cloud, it would work a little bit like wii fit trainer for getting a tension level (shorter time tho)" however this is where we deviate. How Tension will work is that Erdrick can charge up four times. With each charge, it will increase Erdricks attack drastically. For instance, if Erdrick forward smashes and has charged his tension four times, then the attack quadruples. Each charge takes longer the higher it goes, but it gets lower if you hit Erdrick during a charge.

If Pep is implemented, it would be very similar to Limit. The downside is that none of Erdricks moves will get a supercharge, thus it would only act as a simple buff.

The last and my least favorite is Kaclang, there are two ways I can see this work. One is similar to Kirby, where he simply turns to steel and reforms back OR it can work like a counter where if Erdrick is hit, he parries and stuns the opponent.

Final Smash: Gigagash or he can do a Mega man thing where it is an attack with all of the DQ protagonists.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
I just discovered one of my favorite anime kinda copied a scene from DQ3. Dunno how I never linked the two scenes before.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I just discovered one of my favorite anime kinda copied a scene from DQ3. Dunno how I never linked the two scenes before.
Might as well mention which anime it is ;)

Anyways using Teebs B moveset as a template and after conducting some of my own research, this is how I'd do his moveset:

In terms of his basic tilts, aeriels and jab combos, all of them would be a mixture of Erdricks equipment (like the destructiball, Sword of Erdrick, etc.) with his zair/grab being a whip since he can equip them in DQ3

Neutral B: Drop down menu - Erdrick accesses a drop-down menu which gives him three spells he can choose from. Frizz, Zap and Heal. After he selects one of them, Erdrick can use that spell. The downside is that he can only use one spell at a time, so he has to switch them after use.

Side-B: Boomerang/Snooze - So there are two options here, one is the boomerang which acts exactly like Links boomerang (or it has flame effects like the flametang boomerang). The other option is more interesting, very close up, Erdrick can cast snooze similar to Mewtwos stun ability. This can be a great tool to use to keep an opponent off-guard while also having a lot of end lag as a punish.

Up-B: Zoom - Kind of like a mixture between Palutena and Ness's recovery, Erdrick has to be stationary before the recovery is finished which shoots him straight up vertically (as high as a Cloud limit), however, he is useless once he is at aerial drift.

Down-B: Tension/Pep/Kaclang- As stated by Teebs "Can charge tension, but it's not like cloud, it would work a little bit like wii fit trainer for getting a tension level (shorter time tho)" however this is where we deviate. How Tension will work is that Erdrick can charge up four times. With each charge, it will increase Erdricks attack drastically. For instance, if Erdrick forward smashes and has charged his tension four times, then the attack quadruples. Each charge takes longer the higher it goes, but it gets lower if you hit Erdrick during a charge.

If Pep is implemented, it would be very similar to Limit. The downside is that none of Erdricks moves will get a supercharge, thus it would only act as a simple buff.

The last and my least favorite is Kaclang, there are two ways I can see this work. One is similar to Kirby, where he simply turns to steel and reforms back OR it can work like a counter where if Erdrick is hit, he parries and stuns the opponent.

Final Smash: Gigagash or he can do a Mega man thing where it is an attack with all of the DQ protagonists.
Because there's so many possibilities for skills, I definitely think boomerang should not be in erdrick's moveset, since they could be more unique than that. Also, the original versions of dq3 didn't even have boomerangs. Personally, even though it's hardly seen on heroes, I'd like to see woosh/wooshle somewhere. I understand if it doesn't make it tho.
I dont mind the idea of snooze, I just think there'd have to be some balancing to not make it op. Im glad jigglypuff actually has a use for singing now.

I've been wanting more heal moves, so i wouldn't mind seeing heal at all. That's another move that would need to be balanced well, but if there's an mp system or something that might do it. But then we wouldn't be able to constantly use the other spells, so im not sure i'd like an mp system, all things considerd.
How you talked about tension is about how i thought about it too. there's different ways to do it too of course.

I think there's creative moves that could be thought up too, like maybe side-b could be some type of dashing move, tho i dunno where it'd draw inspiration from, but there's all sorts of moves in smash. I also wonder where the slime might pop up, if there's really a skill that has it.

ps- you can edit your posts. mods prefer people do that instead of posting two times in a row. (and actually, it's a rule to not double-post)

Its hard not to have Slime as the favorite species.

I also love facing the Puppeteer from DQ8, which I always find hilarious.

Also, the Magic Mirror from DQ4 and DQ6 because then I get to fight the heroes!

As far as design goes, Abhorrent Knight And it’s derivatives is one of my favorites.

And the Haxsaurus species (I think it was called, the t-rex wielding an axe) has really grown on me.
Yeah those are some pretty good ones. I think the mimick boxes are kind of interesting, too, tho at first when i was younger i didnt like running into them instead of treasures :p they're actually pretty powerful in some games.
Speaking of monstters, I do hope 'dragon quest monsters' comes to the switch, and i'll get it in japanese if they dont translate it. Im glad the switch is finally region-free for games.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

Because there's so many possibilities for skills, I definitely think boomerang should not be in erdrick's moveset, since they could be more unique than that. Also, the original versions of dq3 didn't even have boomerangs. Personally, even though it's hardly seen on heroes, I'd like to see woosh/wooshle somewhere. I understand if it doesn't make it tho.
I dont mind the idea of snooze, I just think there'd have to be some balancing to not make it op. Im glad jigglypuff actually has a use for singing now.

I've been wanting more heal moves, so i wouldn't mind seeing it at all. That's another move that would need to be balanced well, but if there's an mp system or something that might do it. But then we wouldn't have to constantly use the other spells, so im not sure i'd like an mp system, all things considerd.
How you talked about tension is about how i thought about it too. there's different ways to do it too of course.

I think there's creative moves that could be thought up too, like maybe side-b could be some type of dashing move, tho i dunno where it'd draw inspiration from, but there's all sorts of moves in smash. I also wonder where the slime might pop up, if there's really a skill that has it.

ps- you can edit your posts. mods prefer people do that instead of posting two times in a row. (and actually, it's a rule to not double-post)

Yeah those are some pretty good ones. I think the mimick boxes are kind of interesting, too, tho at first when i was younger i didnt like running into them instead of treasures :p they're actually pretty powerful in some games.
I do hope dragon quest monsters comes to the switch, and i'll get it in japanese if they dont translate it. Im glad the switch is finally region-free for games.
Sorry, I hardly notice the double posts to be honest. I kind of just take the quote and reply.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sorry, I hardly notice the double posts to be honest. I kind of just take the quote and reply.
It's just something to watch for. The mods do uphold it, for whenever they see people do it, but they dont always check the smaller threads.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru. Come to think, with that Yuusha in the name I should have expected something. Though the similarity is more structural in one of the last scenes. If I hadn't just finished DQ3 GBC today, I would not have noticed it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru. Come to think, with that Yuusha in the name I should have expected something. Though the similarity is more structural in one of the last scenes. If I hadn't just finished DQ3 GBC today, I would not have noticed it.
Ohh i havent watched that one yet, but ive seen the characters. I do like when animes make references to other animes or games :)
I dont remember which ones had some besides Gintama and Lucky star. Those are pretty light animes tho.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
DQ references are literally everywhere just as much as Jojo actually.
Even in Zelda and FF. Just people outside of Japan don't notice.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Like with that live action dragon quest parady show
That one too but random small references pop up in any anime, manga, light novels, games, live actions, or even in everyday TV shows normies watch.
If you count the last ones in then DQ parodies are more used than Jojo.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
People doesnt want to admit DQ influence period
It’s the classic syndrome of “not my character so must bash it” syndrome.

How do you think genuine Steve fans feel being bashed for wanting an “ugly blockhead”?

Disclaimer: I actually would be happy if Steve joined the battle, I was just using a common example.

D

Deleted member

It’s the classic syndrome of “not my character so must bash it” syndrome.

How do you think genuine Steve fans feel being bashed for wanting an “ugly blockhead”?

Disclaimer: I actually would be happy if Steve joined the battle, I was just using a common example.
It's an annoying behavior really, I feel that a few of the fanbases spend more time bashing other characters than pushing for their picks. Even if I myself don't care about Steve so much, the hate he gets is absurd and the arguments against him just seem nitpicking at some points.

I really doubt that picks are competing against each other unless they are from the same title/franchise, the whole bashing is unnecessary.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
since A Ayumi Tachibana is here, I have a request. Just been doing my own investigation on the first chronological 5ch leak and was wondering what the translation is for the first part. I know you've done it before, but I'm not sure where it would be at this point

https://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1544363780/12

Text in question is
" 海外でリーク出てたらしいな
ジョーカー前は誰も信じてなかったみたいだが "

D

Deleted member

People doesnt want to admit DQ influence period
I've had more than a necessary number of discussions over how Erdrick would work and not be the worst thing to happen since 9/11, but he generally gets angrily piled under "generic anime sword fighter," "a character nobody really asked for until recently," "Corrin," and "not my character who I've waited so long for." Really wish people could support their character without ****ting on others getting in first.

Damn shame Dragon Quest has to be seen as the bad guy to some people, but I'm not too distraught because I've seen a good number of people try out the series because of speculation and love it. (Hell I'm getting back into the Dragon Quest because of Smash speculation. It's epic.)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I've had more than a necessary number of discussions over how Erdrick would work and not be the worst thing to happen since 9/11, but he generally gets angrily piled under "generic anime sword fighter," "a character nobody really asked for until recently," and "not my character who I've waited so long for."

Damn shame Dragon Quest has to be seen as the bad guy to some people, but I'm not too distraught because I've seen a good number of people try out the series because of speculation and love it. (Hell I'm getting back into the Dragon Quest because of Smash speculation. It's epic.)
Really, the good of the fact that so many people are trying the series now because of all this totally outweighs all the whining to me.
People will only complain about "bandwagoning" or whatever BS, but they don't realize; this has been a god damn pipe dream for us. Most of us weren't too vocal because we didn't think we had a shot. And now we do.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
since A Ayumi Tachibana is here, I have a request. Just been doing my own investigation on the first chronological 5ch leak and was wondering what the translation is for the first part. I know you've done it before, but I'm not sure where it would be at this point

https://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1544363780/12

Text in question is
" 海外でリーク出てたらしいな
ジョーカー前は誰も信じてなかったみたいだが "
"Seems to be there was a leak overseas.
Nobody believed it before Joker reveal tho."

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I've had more than a necessary number of discussions over how Erdrick would work and not be the worst thing to happen since 9/11, but he generally gets angrily piled under "generic anime sword fighter," "a character nobody really asked for until recently," "Corrin," and "not my character who I've waited so long for." Really wish people could support their character without ****ting on others getting in first.

Remember when speculation was fun and everyone enjoyed watching other characters get in?

Nowadays it just feels like battles:

Erdrick vs Geno and /or Sora
Banjo vs Steve
First party vs Third party

Someday, everything will be peaceful again.

D

Deleted member

Remember when speculation was fun and everyone enjoyed watching other characters get in?

Banjo vs Steve

Can't say. I only joined Smashboards this year. Smashboards itself is sort of hit or miss when it comes to being civil. I would say more hit depending on which thread you habitat in. This thread and the SE thread has been a pretty chill safe haven from a lot of arguments so I'm pretty happy with it. Before that, I just stuck with GameXplain and Alpharad, and they're pretty chill about Smash Bros and speculation.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Can't say. I only joined Smashboards this year. Before that, I just stuck with GameXplain and Alpharad, and they're pretty chill about Smash Bros and speculation.
Yeah past years were mostly chill but around the Smash 4 time is when things took a turn for worse.

First, E3 had :4wiifit:, a character on almost no speculation lists. Most were fine with it since :4megaman: also got revealed.

:rosalina: is the first “warning sign” since lots put Waluigi, Bowser Jr., Toad, Geno, and sometimes Paper Mario in their lists, and then Rosalina gets in while Waluigi gets assisted (although saddening, I was genuinely more upset with the Wii shutdown announcement around this time)

Things took a turn for worse because of the so called Gematsu leaks which claimed Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Kids would be playable. Cue :4robinm: with Chrom Final Smash ruining dreams.

The ESRB leak did not help because Ridley (and K. Rool and Mewtwo) fans were really disappointed that “:4darkpit: stole a slot”.

Then the ballot happened.

It was a chaotic time with fan polls constantly dominated by certain characters (K. Rool, Banjo, Shantae, Shovel Knight to name a few), only for :4bayonetta: to win. It was, to say the least, frustrating to the fans (:4corrin: probably didn’t help)

Flash forward to Ultimate and it’s a second wind! But wait, since every character returns, there’s limited slots! Let’s hope they count!

The first few, to those fans did. :ultridley:, :ultsimon:, AND :ultkrool:? It was a dream come true to most! :ultisabelle: was more “cool she’s in), but the Kencineroar thing really didn’t help.

Grinch happened and 5 characters in it got BTFO’D (everyone except :ultken: and maybe Banjo). It was, turbulent.

Now with DLC, people are calling it underwhelming because “I’ve been in line for 20 years and so and so cuts the line?!” Leakers saying different (sometimes conflicting) things really aren’t helping here.

I conclude by saying, support who ya want and someday, your dream character will get in!

Unrelated but can I be added as a supporter? Only real connection I have to Dragon Quest is Fortune Street, but if Alefgard looks impressive there, surely a Switch render of the land would look gorgeous!

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

Banjo vs Steve

God I remember getting run overed by a Geno supporter and laid on me so hard that I just left the conversation.

The whole Japan thing was a popular argument floating around too.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This is the first time (at least in a long while) the erdrick thread is more active than the SE one :O

And yeah, people use whatever arguments they can to justify hating on a character and their chances. A lot of them dont even realize how much they're picking at straws or even higher bias. It's just the case of being insecure and projecting negativity on whatever seems threatening to their character. Those principles apply way beyond just smash speculation, too :p I mean, we all have things to work on. It just sucks when there's entire groups that band in negative ways like that.

That said, things are a bit better around here right now i think. Some people are coming to terms, and we've gone over the worst parts of the waiting.
Still really looking to more info soon. The way they talked about the 3.0 update really sounded like they would talk about it more later, and they haven't talked more on joker yet, and also they did mention something about talking more on DQ in the future as well. That last bit might not be about spring, but it's definitely possible :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

PolarPanda posted this on Twitter, further giving credibility to the first 5ch leak (the one that listed stages for Joker and Erdrick, and no other characters). It explicitly mentioned that the Persona 5 fighting game was internally delayed for the Granblue fighting game.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Teeb147

Smash Legend
PolarPanda posted this on Twitter, further giving credibility to the first 5ch leak (the one that listed stages for Joker and Erdrick, and no other characters). It explicitly mentioned that the Persona 5 fighting game was internally delayed for the Granblue fighting game.
Well that's good news for us :)
I wonder where panda got the info, because it's exactly the same.

Also, to SneakyLink SneakyLink and everyone else that wants to be added as a supporter, I'm trying to arrange things for that to happen because the thread creator hasn't been active here, it's just we'll have to wait a little while.. I'll ask who wants to be added as soon as something can be done about it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

She also posted this around March 3rd, too.

She goes to reply that it's not specifically over Nintendo. What it could be is an anomaly, but I'm curious as to what it could be. Persona 5R? We at least know it's probably not the fighting game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
She also posted this around March 3rd, too.

She goes to reply that it's not specifically over Nintendo. What it could be is an anomaly, but I'm curious as to what it could be. Persona 5R? We at least know it's probably not the fighting game.

Nice. The end of march is bound to have quite a bit of info :)

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Yuusha Yoshihiko? Been meaning to watch that for a while, some of the scenes in youtube make me crack up.
i watched all three seasons. It's really a show that I recommend hard, specially if you're a Dragon Quest Fan. The best part is that is one of that comedy shows that didn't lose overall quality over the seasons.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
i watched all three seasons. It's really a show that I recommend hard, specially if you're a Dragon Quest Fan. The best part is that is one of that comedy shows that didn't lose overall quality over the seasons.
Yoshihiko ironically introduced me to DQ LOL

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
This is great News! Not only is it yet another arrow sign pointing at Erdrick , but I’d be overjoyed if we also got Ryu Hayabusa and Doomguy (And I guess Steve... & Knuckles). Truly the best way to end DLC for me personally.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This is great News! Not only is it yet another arrow sign pointing at Erdrick , but I’d be overjoyed if we also got Ryu Hayabusa and Doomguy (And I guess Steve... & Knuckles). Truly the best way to end DLC for me personally.
I'm betting that the 5-character leak is not true, because someone wouldn't know that many characters. The 2-character one (joker and erdrick) had that info, so at the very least it's very good for that. :)

Also, helloiamhere helloiamhere look what i found. look familiar?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm betting that the 5-character leak is not true, because someone wouldn't know that many characters. The 2-character one (joker and erdrick) had that info, so at the very least it's very good for that. :)

Also, helloiamhere helloiamhere look what i found. look familiar?
Oh right! I always forget there were actually 2 separate 5ch leaks.
Well as long as it gets the first one right, it’s all goo!
Did the “real” leak reveal the stage to be Alefgard? That would be neat.

D

Deleted member

Oh right! I always forget there were actually 2 separate 5ch leaks.
Well as long as it gets the first one right, it’s all goo!
Did the “real” leak reveal the stage to be Alefgard? That would be neat.
Yup it did, and Joker's stage would be Mementos (which was datamined)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
it’s all goo!
I see what you did there ;)

And this is essentially the 2-character leak:

"
  • Joker
  • The stage is Mementos
  • Jack Frost appears on screen with a skill
  • Marketing of P5R (complete version) and P5U (fighting game)
  • P5R is 2019
  • P5U is delayed because Arc is busy with the development of a Granblue fighting game

• Erdrick
  • Stage is Alefgard
  • Erdrick (Male) and Erdrick (Female), 2 colors each of Anlucia and the Dragon Quest XI Hero [aka Eleven/Luminary]
  • Slime appears on screen with a skill
  • Achieved through active collaboration on Square’s side
  • To the benefit of overseas marketing for the DQ series
"

One thing I find interesting in this translation is that they say 2 colors each of anlucia and luminary. I assume the 4 other slots would be for 2 of male erdrick and 2 of female erdrick. I already thought it could be along those lines but it's the first time I see someone put it like that from the leak.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yup it did, and Joker's stage would be Mementos (which was datamined)
Oh man oh man oh man oh man!!

I would love to have a timeline of all hints, leaks, and datamines, to see how our chances are coming along!

I think it was sort of like:

- Leakypandy mentioned a rumor regarding a DQ character in smash, being revealed st TGA.

- The Square 7 were revealed to have 1 true charscter, rest are leakbait. Right off the bat, Sora was leakbait. (Though maybe he was easy to discard since he’s a Disney property..?)

- Leakypandy backed down right before TGA

- A few insiders started backing Erdrick (Not Vergeben)

- 5ch leak #1 (Joker & Erdrick + stages)

- 5ch leak #2, providing way too specific reasoning for all DLC characters.

- Tansut claims he saw Erdrick with female alt.

- Datamine : Paikkun Jack and Brave.

- Vergeben now backs Erdrick.

- Brave’s shield Instagram coincidence.

- Vergeben revealing direct. Not sure if new smash character revealed. Was wrong about almost everything, but still no new smash fighter.

- Datamine: Mementos stage

- Datamine: Brave shield size.

- Confirmation regarding granblue.

At least this is how I remember it. I might have missed a few details?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom