• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oh man oh man oh man oh man!!

I would love to have a timeline of all hints, leaks, and datamines, to see how our chances are coming along!

I think it was sort of like:

- Leakypandy mentioned a rumor regarding a DQ character in smash, being revealed st TGA.

- The Square 7 were revealed to have 1 true charscter, rest are leakbait. Right off the bat, Sora was leakbait. (Though maybe he was easy to discard since he’s a Disney property..?)

- Leakypandy backed down right before TGA

- A few insiders started backing Erdrick (Not Vergeben)

- 5ch leak #1 (Joker & Erdrick + stages)

- 5ch leak #2, providing way too specific reasoning for all DLC characters.

- Tansut claims he saw Erdrick with female alt.

- Datamine : Paikkun Jack and Brave.

- Vergeben now backs Erdrick.

- Brave’s shield Instagram coincidence.

- Vergeben revealing direct. Not sure if new smash character revealed. Was wrong about almost everything, but still no new smash fighter.

- Datamine: Mementos stage

- Datamine: Brave shield size.

- Confirmation regarding granblue.

At least this is how I remember it. I might have missed a few details?
Not fully the right order, but nice to see the list :)
There's also Xenother who talked about erdrick. And im guessing some other leakers that arent as popular.
Doesnt look like king zell mentioned anything around that. But Verge still counts too even if he got some stuff wrong about the direct. I mean for backing erdrick now,

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Not fully the right order, but nice to see the list :)
There's also Xenother who talked about erdrick. And im guessing some other leakers that arent as popular.
Doesnt look like king zell mentioned anything around that.
Thanks! There’s Xenother, but I think Polar mentioned around the King Zell leak, that a person she (Polar) trusts said Erdrick is coming.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Thanks! There’s Xenother, but I think Polar mentioned around the King Zell leak, that a person she (Polar) trusts said Erdrick is coming.
That's true. I wonder if it was from a separate source or panda's talks with the leakers like verge.

All in all, it's a lot of backing all together. Quite nice, or hopeful, if i can say so :)

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Oh man oh man oh man oh man!!

I would love to have a timeline of all hints, leaks, and datamines, to see how our chances are coming along!

I think it was sort of like:

- Leakypandy mentioned a rumor regarding a DQ character in smash, being revealed st TGA.

- The Square 7 were revealed to have 1 true charscter, rest are leakbait. Right off the bat, Sora was leakbait. (Though maybe he was easy to discard since he’s a Disney property..?)

- Leakypandy backed down right before TGA

- A few insiders started backing Erdrick (Not Vergeben)

- 5ch leak #1 (Joker & Erdrick + stages)

- 5ch leak #2, providing way too specific reasoning for all DLC characters.

- Tansut claims he saw Erdrick with female alt.

- Datamine : Paikkun Jack and Brave.

- Vergeben now backs Erdrick.

- Brave’s shield Instagram coincidence.

- Vergeben revealing direct. Not sure if new smash character revealed. Was wrong about almost everything, but still no new smash fighter.

- Datamine: Mementos stage

- Datamine: Brave shield size.

- Confirmation regarding granblue.

At least this is how I remember it. I might have missed a few details?
Forgot Sakurai Interview that confirmed Joker's announcement at TGA as last-minute Nintendo decision.

D

Deleted member

Forgot Sakurai Interview that confirmed Joker's announcement at TGA as last-minute Nintendo decision.
Can I get a source, because this would explain why Vergeben assumed the Square rep would have been the first DLC revealed and was wrong about it?

Also for the info list, browsing the Geno thread for a bit, it is confirmed that all of the stats Brave has are most definitely placeholders. One guy in the Geno thread compared Piranha Plant's old stats with his current stats and there were a ton of changes. It was a safe assumption but I wanted to really hammer this into the ground that size 13 is probably not a serious estimate when Piranha Plant originally had three jumps and how Cloud in Smash 4 had his height changed before his release too.

walk add accel 0.03 > 0.05
walk max speed 0.56 >0.76
base run accel 0.02 > 0.06
max run speed you know this already
jump heights all significantly changed
gravity 0.085 > 0.14
fall speed 1.6 > 1.95
ff speed 2.56 > 2.73
weight 94 > 112
number of jumps 3 > 2
landing lag for every move changed

theres actually a huge number of things that changed from 1.0.0 but iStop listing or I'll be here all day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Can I get a source, because this would explain why Vergeben assumed the Square rep would have been the first DLC revealed and was wrong about it?

Also for the info list, browsing the Geno thread for a bit, it is confirmed that all of the stats Brave has are most definitely placeholders. One guy in the Geno thread compared Piranha Plant's old stats with his current stats and there were a ton of changes. It was a safe assumption but I wanted to really hammer this into the ground that size 13 is probably not a serious estimate when Piranha Plant originally had three jumps and how Cloud in Smash 4 had his height changed before his release too.
Nice, I was wondering about the pplant changes. I'm surprised a list is only showing up now.
Also, the height is less important than all the other stats, imo. We know it doesnt affect the model like some thought. I think it's likely that they change it later once they need to calculate a few things with regards to something in the game.

Also, I found a nice cake design for if ever we need to celebrate:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Nice, I was wondering about the pplant changes. I'm surprised a list is only showing up now.
Also, the height is less important than all the other stats, imo. We know it doesnt affect the model like some thought. I think it's likely that they change it later once they need to calculate a few things with regards to something in the game.

Also, I found a nice cake design for if ever we need to celebrate:
Speaking of height. If Erdrick does get in, should it be the original chibi look, the SNES redesign, or the 25th anniversary/Battle road victory design?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Speaking of height. If Erdrick does get in, should it be the original chibi look, the SNES redesign, or the 25th anniversary/Battle road victory design?
I think most people think of the snes artwork design. It's what most people know the character with. But obviously they could go with something more modern.
I might be ok with chibi design for the simple reason that smaller characters do better in smash :p They'd have to redesign the female version if they go with one of the other ones you mentioned tho. But, that's not necessarily an issue, I just wonder what they'll end up doing.
For me.. The height isn't overly important, but I do like the snes design better from the ones i've seen, up to now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As long as he isn't super stoic, I'd take his modern designs or the SNES redesign.

D

Deleted member

Yeah I'd probably go for the SNES design, that's the Erdrick I formally remember since his Build Arts figure is based on that design. Besides purple is a dope colour.
The purple cape really ties Erdrick's colors together for me. Otherwise, he'd be eh.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah I'd probably go for the SNES design, that's the Erdrick I formally remember since his Build Arts figure is based on that design. Besides purple is a dope colour.
IF the leak ends up true, it's possible that the alt would have the cape color of the other one :p
It really depends how many costumes we have of each. If it's just erdrick then there's more chance. Or could be colors of other characters.

Random pic i just found:

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Seeing how hard it is to negociate with them apparently, it’ll probably be the more recent Battle Road design. I’m ok with any of them tbh. I’m almost kind of sad that getting one means the loss of the other 2. I know it sound crazy. But I have a soft spot for all 3 designs.

Wonder how a “Battle Road” versión of female Erdrick would be like. Or heck a Chibi female version.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was gonna post examples, but images are kind of funky with me today
If the images dont work you can always just post the links to them.
Just be sure to post a bit of a comment with them, since the mods consider posts with only images or links to be spam.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
yup.
I also wonder if there's anything interesting in the artbook there was. Like, if there were new deisgns.

I have this book, it's nice but it doesn't have much new from Erdrick. Want me to take a few pictures?

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
I forgot where I saw a more complete translation of this interview, but this article have a part of this: https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...ys-online-matchmaking-is-under-investigation/
I remember seeing too something from the voice actors saying about they been asked out of blue(thinks that is the expression).

Adding here: Sakurai recently said he used a IV drip to work on Smash on when he got sick. This man!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I forgot where I saw a more complete translation of this interview, but this article have a part of this: https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...ys-online-matchmaking-is-under-investigation/
I remember seeing too something from the voice actors saying about they been asked out of blue(thinks that is the expression).

Adding here: Sakurai recently said he used a IV drip to work on Smash on when he got sick. This man!
Interesting how Nintendo themselves asked for Joker's last minute reveal at the game awards. Wonder if Nintendo is choosing when these would be revealed. Does that mean the intended first DLC character already had a trailer being made? Or maybe a VGA DLC character announcement wasn't intended at all until Nintendo was like, "Yo. Do this."

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Interesting how Nintendo themselves asked for Joker's last minute reveal at the game awards. Wonder if Nintendo is choosing when these would be revealed. Does that mean the intended first DLC character already had a trailer being made? Or maybe a VGA DLC character announcement wasn't intended at all until Nintendo was like, "Yo. Do this."
It would explain the lack of gameplay following the announcement.

D

Deleted member

It would explain the lack of gameplay following the announcement.
Pretty much. Given how DLC wasn't even developed until after the game's launch and how Piranha took until February to get released and Joker's taking April, they probably didn't originally intend to reveal at the game awards. That puts all of the waiting in perspective, really.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
https://imgur.com/a/4XzY093

Here goes the album! Looking at the DQ3 section, I was thinking about that "Brave Party / Hero Party" leak... I wonder if it would even be possible to have Erdrick recruit members of the party to help him...

And wow, I could rant for HOURS about how unfairly DQ is treated by the Smash community!

The comparison of a character that is over three decades old from a series that has 0 smash rep to Corrin, whose game was not even out.
The constant claim that Dragon Quest is a "shill / commercial" pick with no merits, that would only get in due to Nintendo being mean and that if it was all up to Sakurai it wouldn't even be mentioned.
The constant claims we are all "bandwagoners" who only care about "winning" and the attempts to pain the DQ fanbase as the big toxic evil.
And nothing hurts me more than weaponizing DQ's lack of recognition in the west. Like, I have been struggling with this for almost two decades, and now I see people bringing that up as a reason why no more effort should be done to reverse this situation or even in a mocking tone. It's such a low move...

It's one of the reasons why I don't even go to the Geno threads here anymore despite that being what brought me to this site during the grinch leak days. The toxicity towards Erdrick over there is absurd, and while many claims there is no bias, a quick comparison between the tone used for Sora and the tone used for Erdrick is a big hint that is not the case. I just get this urge to call out the logic of certain users and dispell this idea that Dragon Quest is a vile 'commercial' pick... but that would derail the Geno thread, as I have seen from the one time I answered to one of these posts in the Ninten thread and immediately regretted as the conversation went away from the topic of the thread.

The worst part is that even if he is in it will be far from the end of this sort of behavior. :facepalm:

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

Here goes the album! Looking at the DQ3 section, I was thinking about that "Brave Party / Hero Party" leak... I wonder if it would even be possible to have Erdrick recruit members of the party to help him...

And wow, I could rant for HOURS about how unfairly DQ is treated by the Smash community!

The comparison of a character that is over three decades old from a series that has 0 smash rep to Corrin, whose game was not even out.
The constant claim that Dragon Quest is a "shill / commercial" pick with no merits, that would only get in due to Nintendo being mean and that if it was all up to Sakurai it wouldn't even be mentioned.
The constant claims we are all "bandwagoners" who only care about "winning" and the attempts to pain the DQ fanbase as the big toxic evil.
And nothing hurts me more than weaponizing DQ's lack of recognition in the west. Like, I have been struggling with this for almost two decades, and now I see people bringing that up as a reason why no more effort should be done to reverse this situation or even in a mocking tone. It's such a low move...

It's one of the reasons why I don't even go to the Geno threads here anymore despite that being what brought me to this site during the grinch leak days. The toxicity towards Erdrick over there is absurd, and while many claims there is no bias, a quick comparison between the tone used for Sora and the tone used for Erdrick is a big hint that is not the case. I just get this urge to call out the logic of certain users and dispell this idea that Dragon Quest is a vile 'commercial' pick... but that would derail the Geno thread, as I have seen from the one time I answered to one of these posts in the Ninten thread and immediately regretted as the conversation went away from the topic of the thread.

The worst part is that even if he is in it will be far from the end of this sort of behavior. :facepalm:
Not gonna say every geno fan is like that. But I completely get you, man, I got destroyed too.

D

Deleted member

It's honestly ridiculous. I can't even talk about Super Mario RPG, a game I genuinely love, without being accused of "fake sympathy" because we all clearly just want Geno to be btfo (I think the whole idea of being btfo is stupid and unnecessary anyways).
But, I think that seeing how many people are getting into Dragon Quest now cause of all of this infinitely outweighs this stream of negativity thrown towards us.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Not gonna say every geno fan is like that. But I completely get you, man, I got destroyed too.
I know! There are many Geno fans who are not like that, and many of my friends like Geno and even I would say Geno is among the characters I'd like to see in Smash. However, I don't think there is a problem in saying that the thread is harsh to follow if you are a DQ fan, because it is.

D

Deleted member

I get what you say about the geno fanbase (among others) being a handful sometimes, but here there are quite a few nice fans like the Geno-duck lady and the Prez among others. I feel that part of their behavior is just that after the whole expectation after the August direct and then later the fake banner that made Geno pretty likely to be in the game, they just feel confused by the sudden appearance of a pick that they never considered until now when it is one of the frontrunners for DLC according to rumors.

Sometimes lurking on those threads hurt due to how they look down to DQ, especially since I like a few other series. If Erdrick gets in, its something that we can only hope they can at least come for them to come to terms with and not dwell on it.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I know! There are many Geno fans who are not like that, and many of my friends like Geno and even I would say Geno is among the characters I'd like to see in Smash. However, I don't think there is a problem in saying that the thread is harsh to follow if you are a DQ fan, because it is.
It's ironic because for the most part, we are generally the nicest out of the square reps lol. As Chalky said in DQ11 "Don't waste your time bearing grudges and live life with love in your heart."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I get what you say about the geno fanbase (among others) being a handful sometimes, but here there are quite a few nice fans like the Geno-duck lady and the Prez among others. I feel that part of their behavior is just that after the whole expectation after the August direct and then later the fake banner that made Geno pretty likely to be in the game, they just feel confused by the sudden appearance of a pick that they never considered until now when it is one of the frontrunners for DLC according to rumors.

Sometimes lurking on those threads hurt due to how they look down to DQ, especially since I like a few other series. If Erdrick gets in, its something that we can only hope they can at least come for them to come to terms with and not dwell on it.
You're totally right, I can't say I blame at least some level of confusion to be honest lol. They shouldn't be all lumped together as Those Guys That Hate Us For No Reason, however I do think letting out frustration about the ones that have only acted toxic towards us is perfectly fine

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I lurk the Geno boards from time to time, I I almost never fail to find someone bashing DQ. Like now, for example, somebody wrote a whole essay on why Erdrick being the S-E character “seems off” and tinfoil hat moments ensure.
(And this was barely 5 posts after people started agreeing on being nice to other fan bases, lol)
But yeah, I’ll try not to lurk over there. Nothing good comes from it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Thanks for sharing the art. There's at least one design of erdrick there to look at. It's the newer kind with browner hair. Personally I think I prefer the black hair, but it's not really a big deal if they go with it. I really do wonder about the design direction now. Well, if erdrick is in, im sure sakurai did something interesting :)

As for the anti-erdrick stuff, I mean yeah it's understandable to feel that way. I didn't exactly have the greatest experiences with some people, but im over it right now, even if things could be a lot better around. As for the excuses, there's a lot of lame ones. Persona is not a more 'justifiable' choice even if some people gloss that. Persona only recently got more popular in the west, and DQ is way more popular overrall. It doesnt even help to point out stuff like that because they want to find reasons to justify how they feel (and project on the character).

In the end tho, look at other characters who got some talk against them, almost nobody cares anymore. And once things settle down, a lot will be able to see clearer and see better the reasons why it just makes sense for DQ to be in smash. I never thought I'd say that before the last year tho, simply because i hadn't thought about who would be a good addition from SE after Cloud. Of course, Geno would be a good pick as well, for several reasons, but I like DQ a lot more as a franchise than I do for one character in smrpg. tho both would be nice. Anyway, we're all free to enjoy the characters we like :)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Thanks for sharing the art. There's at least one design of erdrick there to look at. It's the newer kind with browner hair. Personally I think I prefer the black hair, but it's not really a big deal if they go with it. I really do wonder about the design direction now. Well, if erdrick is in, im sure sakurai did something interesting :)

As for the anti-erdrick stuff, I mean yeah it's understandable to feel that way. I didn't exactly have the greatest experiences with some people, but im over it right now, even if things could be a lot better around. As for the excuses, there's a lot of lame ones. Persona is not a more 'justifiable' choice even if some people gloss that. Persona only recently got more popular in the west, and DQ is way more popular overrall. It doesnt even help to point out stuff like that because they want to find reasons to justify how they feel (and project on the character).

In the end tho, look at other characters who got some talk against them, almost nobody cares anymore. And once things settle down, a lot will be able to see clearer and see better the reasons why it just makes sense for DQ to be in smash. I never thought I'd say that before the last year tho, simply because i hadn't thought about who would be a good addition from SE after Cloud. Of course, Geno would be a good pick as well, for several reasons, but I like DQ a lot more as a franchise than I do for one character in smrpg. Anyway, we're all free to enjoy the characters we like :)
Maybe Sakurai will do the Simon Belmont angle and kind of do a modernized classic version.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Maybe Sakurai will do the Simon Belmont angle and kind of do a modernized classic version.
Yeah i thought about that at one point. Tho, which classic one would he try to modernize? ;p
What I find interesting about even just the artwork on the cover of the book, is we have another design there too, which is kind of a chibi snes version.
Really in the end there's like 5+ designs they could go with :p

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Thanks for sharing the art. There's at least one design of erdrick there. It's the newer kind with browner hair. Personally I think I prefer the black hair, but it's not really a big deal if they go with it. I really do wonder about the design direction now. Well, if erdrick is in, im sure sakurai did something interesting :)
I think it's possible they could go for some sort of amalgamation design. Not sure what that would look like, but they sorta did that with Zelda in Ultimate (pulling design elements from both ALTTP and ALBW and blending them together), so maybe we could see something similar for Erdrick?

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I think it's possible they could go for some sort of amalgamation design. Not sure what that would look like, but they sorta did that with Zelda in Ultimate (pulling design elements from both ALTTP and ALBW and blending them together), so maybe we could see something similar for Erdrick?
The thing about Toriyama as a mangaka is that he changes his style like every decade. So a nice culmination of all of his styles into Erdrick would probably be the best idea.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I dont remember what the deal with his character design requests is, but i wonder how much will be sakurai's team doing the design or how much toriyama would contribute, if any, or give the ok. But yeah if they can find a way that takes from all the designs, im sure they can do something neat. If we're real, it's probably going to be something new, since erdrick still counts as a classic character that they kind of have to bring anew.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom