• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The only thing that bothers me about a Dragon Quest character is that Smash is almost guaranteed to credit the individual owners of the IP on the title screen which means: Armor Project, Bird Studio, and Square Enix will all be listed as well as MAYBE Sugiyama Kobo.

That last one bothers me. I don't want Sugiyama's name on the title screen of Smash Bros. The guy's a complete *** hole.
Who's he and what did he do?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Who's he and what did he do?
He's the composer for Dragon Quest since Day 1 and that's all well and good but he's just a racist old man with the opinion that all non Japanese people are heretics. He's a good composer, just a really bad dude.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Sugiyama is the composer for the series.

He’s... made political comments that I’m just going to link this article detailing one specific thing.
It's kind of funny that he says the lack of children from homosexual couples is an issue. What would he possibly do in that situation, force impregnations? And by funny, I mean ridiculous.
It sucks but there's all kinds of beliefs out there. Doesnt affect how I think of the games.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The only thing that bothers me about a Dragon Quest character is that Smash is almost guaranteed to credit the individual owners of the IP on the title screen which means: Armor Project, Bird Studio, and Square Enix will all be listed as well as MAYBE Sugiyama Kobo.

That last one bothers me. I don't want Sugiyama's name on the title screen of Smash Bros. The guy's a complete *** hole.
Sugiyama has no copyright over the characters. Just like Nobuo Uematsu isn't listed in the copyrights on the title screen for FFVII/Cloud.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman

Agree that he is a ****, but I think that depriving yourself to have something you enjoy just because there's a massive idiot in the project didn't worth. Specially when there's so many other people's involved.
The life is short, is better to enjoy. Letting people like that bother you is just turning then more relevant in your life.

(Edit: sorry for the manual censuring, it's a bad habit of mine. I will let the algorithm do it by now.)

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
The fact Sugiyama is one of the biggest reasons why people doubt Erdrick could get in really tells a thing or two about the guy even if you don't know about the crap he said on his show. Love the music of DQ, but I really wish the personality of the man matched his skill instead of being the polar opposite.

That said, yeah, if Erdrick gets in, there is no escaping of Sugiyama's trademark. It's in everything DQ related, every mainline, Therarythmn, Fortune Street, unless Erdrick comes in with no music, or music from other Square properties or something as wild.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Sugiyama is basically the ultimate example of having to judge the art over the artist. He's incredibly talented and video game music wouldn't be the same without him, but he's also a WWII-era Japanese imperialist and social darwinist. I could totally see why someone wouldn't be able to get over that. This isn't "this artist has different political position from me, I don't like them anymore", it's a whole 'nother level.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The fact Sugiyama is one of the biggest reasons why people doubt Erdrick could get in really tells a thing or two about the guy even if you don't know about the crap he said on his show. Love the music of DQ, but I really wish the personality of the man matched his skill instead of being the polar opposite.

That said, yeah, if Erdrick gets in, there is no escaping of Sugiyama's trademark. It's in everything DQ related, every mainline, Therarythmn, Fortune Street, unless Erdrick comes in with no music, or music from other Square properties or something as wild.
I dont hate the music, some i like as kind of jingly tunes, but it's never been an important point to dragon quest, imo. It's just 'eh', and in the game, at least for me.
Final Fantasy has such great music compared to that. But anyway, it's just one person and to me it's a non-issue for now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sugiyama is basically the ultimate example of having to judge the art over the artist. He's incredibly talented and video game music wouldn't be the same without him, but he's also a WWII-era Japanese imperialist and social darwinist. I could totally see why someone wouldn't be able to get over that. This isn't "this artist has different political position from me, I don't like them anymore", it's a whole 'nother level.
Pretty much. Dude's an old grandpa from a whole other era of time. His music is good, he's old and stubborn, and that's all I need to say.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Pretty much. Dude's an old grandpa from a whole other era of time. His music is good, he's old and stubborn, and that's all I need to say.
I'm just wondering. Are there music projects he worked on that people think is very good?

D

Deleted member

I'm just wondering. Are there music projects he worked on that people think is very good?
Are we talking Dragon Quest music? Because there are some songs I love from the series.

Probably more I could list. Granted, not all of DQ soundtracks leave a mark but they put me in a certain mood when I listen to them.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Are we talking Dragon Quest music? Because there are some songs I love from the series.

Probably more I could list. Granted, not all of DQ soundtracks leave a mark but they put me in a certain mood when I listen to them.
I always wondered, where do the Dragon Quest songs in Fortune Street come from? I really enjoyed that game's music.

D

Deleted member

I always wondered, where do the Dragon Quest songs in Fortune Street come from? I really enjoyed that game's music.
All of them are remixes from the original main line of games. You just gotta do some research. I recommend the Symphonic Suites because the classical style of DQ music fits so well with an orchestra.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
All of them are remixes from the original main line of games. You just gotta do some research. I recommend the Symphonic Suites because the classical style of DQ music fits so well with an orchestra.
I'll give it a try. If I like the songs, I may buy a Dragon Quest game for realsies!

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
I never understood why titles after DQIV didn't play more around the idea of having multiple map themes and battle themes.
Like, damn, going from Homeland to Wagon Wheel March felt like such a moment of growth that is only matched by Hero's Challenge kicking in in DQIII once you break Zoma's barrier. That added to each of the characters having their own theme? There is no match to it, IV has the best soundtrack, listening to Alena's theme or Meena and Maya's theme makes me go to entirely different moods that relate perfectly to the objectives and situation of each character.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Thanks for sharing. Would you or others think of them as great music?
To me they're ok. They dont come close to being 'great' in my ears, and I could trade them for a lot else, but they're not bad, of course.

I like chiptunes, so there's always something about some retro tunes i like, like the first one :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thanks for sharing. Would you or others think of them as great music?
To me they're ok. They dont come close to being 'great' in my ears, and I could trade them for a lot else, but they're not bad, that's for sure.

I like chiptunes, so there's always something about some old tunes i like, like the first one :)
Not entirely sure what you define as "great music" to really give you a proper answer. Maybe can you offer examples?

Last edited by a moderator:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Not entirely sure what you define as "great music" to really give you a proper answer.
Well, good music is something that you enjoy but it's not near amazing or something you'd listen to over and over. Great would be something you consider really good and could listen to over and over, and for a game adds a lot. I consider FF and Zelda tracks to have quite a bit of great music, as well as amazing music and even a few masterpieces. That's kind of the range i use :p

D

Deleted member

Well, good music is something that you enjoy but it's not near amazing or something you'd listen to over and over. Great would be something you consider really good and could listen to over and over, and for a game adds a lot. I consider FF and Zelda tracks to have quite a bit of great music, as well as amazing music and even a few masterpieces. That's kind of the range i use :p
I see what you mean. Basically, "Do I love the music enough to constantly go back to it?"

My answer is a definite "I guess." The classical style really adds something that most games have never replicated effectively. I have to be in a certain mood to listen to DQ soundtracks, but on their own, they're good. They sound nostalgic, emotional, and adventurous. I can just put a random album on and it'll immerse me while I work on a side-project. Meanwhile the only FF and LoZ soundtracks I actually listen to are FF 14's six album heaven-sent compositions and Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild.

I'm also the same guy who has over a hundred video game soundtracks ready to listen to, so favorites are hard to come by.

In terms of how objectively legendary the music for DQ is, I can't say. That's something a Japanese citizen would have to answer for me because DQ isn't an icon over here.

Honestly, this is a fun subject. What are y'all's favorite video game soundtracks?

For me, it's Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Bomberman Hero, Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie, Paper Mario 64, Bravely Default, Personas 3 and 4 (and maybe 5 but I need to play Persona 5 first), Smash Bros Brawl, Kirby & the Rainbow Curse, and maybe Yoshi's Woolly World.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, this is a fun subject. What are y'all's favorite video game soundtracks?
Spyro the Dragon 1, Sim City franchise, The Sims 1, Chrono series, Ar Tonelico series, Pokemon Gen 2 to 4, Undertale, Wild Arms franchise, MegaMan 2, KH2, DQ franchise.

These are my absolute favorites, though the appeal of some is different from the others. Like, Spyro has no great track, The Sims only has 2 great tracks, but the soundtrack as a whole creates value beyond the sum of it's tracks, setting up unique and memorable moods.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well, stating the obvious here, but what one considers “great” is entirely subjective.

I for example would find Zelda music to be “good” not “great” although I could at least name 3 favorites.

And it’s maybe not even that. It depends on the mood I’m in.
Do I want a more soothing experience? DQ has lively and heartwarming melodies.
Do I want to rock it out as my imaginary limit gauge starts building? I listen to FF!

Do I want the best of both? I listen to Chroko Trigger. ;)

For example, I used to think Hideki Naganuma’s music was... weird and out of place, but lately I’ve felt like listening to Jet Set Radio And Sonic Rush.

But yeah, favorite game soundtracks.

Chrono series
FF series
Streets of Rage series (anything Yuzo Koshiro)
Kid Icarus Uprising
Hard Corps Uprising
Sonic (in general, never disappoints)
Megaman (see Sonic)
Shovel Knight (Jake Kauffman in general)
Double Dragon Neon
StarTropics series (bias aside)
Ninja Gaiden, Blaster Master, etc etc etc

And I want to say Castlevania? But although I hold it in the highest pedestal possible, I feel like I haven’t listened to enough amazing tracks. I don’t know what I’m missing but I only seem to enjoy Cv1, 2 and Rondo’s osts.

Calane

Smash Ace
I've said this multiple times, but I actually really like DQ's music. It has this classical vibe that really makes it stand out from other video game franchises. Memories of a Lost World is one of my favorites in the entire series. And tracks like The Ocean and Mysterious Tower are just beautiful.

You have some great town themes like Lively Village, Strolling in the Town, Heavenly Village, and A Quiet Village.

Some great battle themes like Battle For Glory! and Violent Enemies.

I could go on, but I think I've done this enough at this point.

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
My mother legit confused the DQ8 village theme with actual classic music. I don't remember the exact situation anymore since it has been 14 years, but she was not convinced that the music had been composed for the game and instead was sure she had heard it before.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Sugiyama’s music IS great, no doubt about it. It’s classical, it’s uplifting, it’s got the feel of a gigantic adventure. It’s just Sugiyama. He’s not a great guy. As a matter of fact he’s the reason the previous versions of Dragon Quest XI; PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4, has midi soundtracks. He demanded they use the midi tracks so that he could sell the orchestral arrangements he made for the game as a stand-alone product. A CD. We’re incredibly lucky that the Orchestral Versions are coming to the Switch Version and I can only speculate that the reason why is that Sugiyama has some sort of specific respect for the company.

Ah well. It’s a shame the other versions users are going to miss out on the orchestra but at least the version I waited on has it.

I just don’t like Sugiyama. Wish they would replace him, but they can’t. They’re contractually obligated to have him.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Sugiyama’s music IS great, no doubt about it. It’s classical, it’s uplifting, it’s got the feel of a gigantic adventure. It’s just Sugiyama. He’s not a great guy. As a matter of fact he’s the reason the previous versions of Dragon Quest XI; PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4, has midi soundtracks. He demanded they use the midi tracks so that he could sell the orchestral arrangements he made for the game as a stand-alone product. A CD. We’re incredibly lucky that the Orchestral Versions are coming to the Switch Version and I can only speculate that the reason why is that Sugiyama has some sort of specific respect for the company.

Ah well. It’s a shame the other versions users are going to miss out on the orchestra but at least the version I waited on has it.

I just don’t like Sugiyama. Wish they would replace him, but they can’t. They’re contractually obligated to have him.
It's honestly a good thing he's the only bad egg, every other person involved with the DQ franchise is relatively normal.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

IT'S HAPPENING!!!

not really... But this is a pretty sick render
Good thing the image failed, i wouldn't toy with our feelings like that :O
But yeah it doesn't look like ultimate quality. Nice model tho.

I see what you mean. Basically, "Do I love the music enough to constantly go back to it?"

My answer is a definite "I guess." The classical style really adds something that most games have never replicated effectively. I have to be in a certain mood to listen to DQ soundtracks, but on their own, they're good. They sound nostalgic, emotional, and adventurous. I can just put a random album on and it'll immerse me while I work on a side-project. Meanwhile the only FF and LoZ soundtracks I actually listen to are FF 14's six album heaven-sent compositions and Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild.

I'm also the same guy who has over a hundred video game soundtracks ready to listen to, so favorites are hard to come by.

In terms of how objectively legendary the music for DQ is, I can't say. That's something a Japanese citizen would have to answer for me because DQ isn't an icon over here.

For me, it's Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Bomberman Hero, Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie, Paper Mario 64, Bravely Default, Personas 3 and 4 (and maybe 5 but I need to play Persona 5 first), Smash Bros Brawl, Kirby & the Rainbow Curse, and maybe Yoshi's Woolly World.
I dont know if i can come up with a lot on hand, I feel like I'm missing a bunch, but the ones i find the most amazing are
Final Fantasy, Zelda, Megaman, Chrono Cross, Kirby, Shantae,..

And then it might fall more into ones I came to like because of the game mostly, like the Mana series, and Mario Rpg too, tho some of the tunes are just really catchy and good. I really like the ones in FFCrystal Chronicles to really add to the tone i like in the game. I know there's definitely a lot more, and I really like a lot of retro bit tunes.

It's interesting to see some what was posted. I remember a bit of Bomberman Hero, and it might be odd but it's an interesting one :p I really liked Bomberman 64 (not nec for the music) so I can connect a bit to liking stuff in that generation of games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

IT'S HAPPENING!!!

not really... But this is a pretty sick render
It looks like a 3DS model being directly ported to Ultimate.

Though, I do like the design. It's a good visualization for how Erdrick might look like in Smash

My mother legit confused the DQ8 village theme with actual classic music. I don't remember the exact situation anymore since it has been 14 years, but she was not convinced that the music had been composed for the game and instead was sure she had heard it before.
****. This reminds me of those stories where people would show their grandparents Cuphead and they would immediately get nostalgic from its graphics.
It's interesting to see some what was posted. I remember a bit of Bomberman Hero, and it might be odd but it's an interesting one :p I really liked Bomberman 64 (not nec for the music) so I can connect a bit to liking stuff in that generation of games.
Bomberman 64 is a great time and it's music is nice too. All of its level music is permanently fused into my head. Probably a given because I grew up with it.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
God all this talk of Erdrick is now making me hope Horii changes his mind and makes a DQ3 remake before DQ12
With him been confirmed it rises the chance of Verge been right about the DQ Trilogy remaster/port to Switch.
Isn't a remake, but maybe with a good selling numbers they change their priorities.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Come to think of it, DQ9 is also due for a remake, especially now that you can't access all of it's content.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Come to think of it, DQ9 is also due for a remake, especially now that you can't access all of it's content.
Wasnt there talk of a smartphone version being developed? That would be something but I'd much rather it be remastered/remade on regular gaming platforms. I have to wonder how since it essentially had proto-Streetpass how it would be implemented on other platforms. Unless that platform is 3DS of course lol.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I said it awhile back, but magine if Erdrick gets in and we not only get a female alt, but an Alph skin too in the form of Solo/Sophia

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Sugiyama has no copyright over the characters.
But he does have the rights to all the music he created, which, there's no way they'd add a DQ character without DQ music.

Basically, "Do I love the music enough to constantly go back to it?"
I'll be honest, I don't even think the music in DQ is that great. There's a couple really iconic songs, but on the whole, I don't think DQs music is at all on the same level as, say, Final Fantasy's.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I think at this point, Male Erdrick, Female Erdrick, and the Luminary are all super likely. Would be a different number of alts for one of them though since they're really bent on only having eight total costumes per character. Which is why I think we'll get a fourth character. Think it'll come down to Anlucia, Eight or the original Dragon Quest hero. Don't think it's likely to be anyone else tbh. Sorry, NomadLuminary I don't think Solo/Sophia are likey, especially since there can only be one more assuming Luminary is happening which I really think they are.

Last edited:

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
Wasnt there talk of a smartphone version being developed? That would be something but I'd much rather it be remastered/remade on regular gaming platforms. I have to wonder how since it essentially had proto-Streetpass how it would be implemented on other platforms. Unless that platform is 3DS of course lol.
Every DQ up to 8 is on the smartphone so I would not be impressed if that was the case.
I also think DQ is literally the inspiration for the StreetPass system.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
I think at this point, Male Erdrick, Female Erdrick, and the Luminary are all super likely. Would be a different number of alts for one of them though since they're really bent on only having eight total costumes per character. Which is why I think we'll get a fourth character. Think it'll come down to Anlucia, Eight or the original Dragon Quest hero. Don't think it's likely to be anyone else tbh. Sorry, NomadLuminary I don't think Solo/Sophia are likey, especially since there can only be one more assuming Luminary is happening which I really think they are.
Sadly yeah. Well I'd still love the Luminary. I need Trunks in my smash bros game :p

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If the leak is right then there'd be 2 costumes for each of the 4 heroes (if we count female erdrick as one). Which would be amazing.
Having more heroes, including solo and sofia, would be a dream, but we just gotta count our blessings for so much looking in favor of DQ right now. Of course, we dont know anything for sure, so we can only hope to hear some good news sometime :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom