• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
My instinct is that they'd give Toriyama some guidelines for what they want in the Smash design, then he'd do some fresh art*, and the models and renders would be based on that. Showing off Toriyama's designs like they're a huge deal is a critical component of any Dragon Quest game's marketing cycle (literally all we have of the new Monsters right now is Toriyama's drawings of young Erik and Mia, for example), so it'd be fun to see that reflected here too. It'd be an excuse to namedrop the guy, anyway.

*Please please please let that include a Smash 4-style illustration with a bunch of existing characters in the new character's style. The world isn't ready for Toriyama Mario and Toriyama Cloud.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
My instinct is that they'd give Toriyama some guidelines for what they want in the Smash design, then he'd do some fresh art*, and the models and renders would be based on that. Showing off Toriyama's designs like they're a huge deal is a critical component of any Dragon Quest game's marketing cycle (literally all we have of the new Monsters right now is Toriyama's drawings of young Erik and Mia, for example), so it'd be fun to see that reflected here too. It'd be an excuse to namedrop the guy, anyway.

*Please please please let that include a Smash 4-style illustration with a bunch of existing characters in the new character's style. The world isn't ready for Toriyama Mario and Toriyama Cloud.
Something entirely brand new would be so hype!

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
And guess who posted in the square thread by accident and didn't realize until now >_<

Anyway, one thing I could not help but notice is how female Erdrick was completely missing from the artbook. Its a very different deal than Solo / Sophia were both are constantly featured together.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
And guess who posted in the square thread by accident and didn't realize until now >_<

Anyway, one thing I could not help but notice is how female Erdrick was completely missing from the artbook. Its a very different deal than Solo / Sophia were both are constantly featured together.
that's too bad. I would've liked to see a lot more artwork of her.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
that's too bad. I would've liked to see a lot more artwork of her.
Absolutely, one of the best things smash inclusion would bring. I kinda prefer to play female in DQ3 due to all the unique dialogue and the twist of Erdrick being a girl. I just love the tale of a tomboy girl who tries to live up to her father's legacy.

In other DQ with the choice I am 50/50 but they don't have as much differences of dialogue as 3.

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Absolutely, one of the best things smash inclusion would bring. I kinda prefer to play female in DQ3 due to all the unique dialogue and the twist of Erdrick being a girl. I just love the tale of a tomboy girl who tries to live up to her father's legacy.

In other DQ with the choice I am 50/50 but they don't have as much differences of dialogue as 3.
Ngl if it was an option, I hope Solo and Sophia acts as the Alph skin for Erdrick

Teeb147

Smash Legend

In other DQ with the choice I am 50/50 but the unique dialogue in DQ3 really makes me prefer F Erdrick's playthrough.
:)
The personality stuff they added is really neat too. I like that kind of stuff, and i dont think it was in another DQ game.
It's too bad there wasnt more of that, but I do also like the subtle variety between the games. Some things I'd like to see more.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Niceeee. Do you have the source?

I don't use tumblr... but, I suppose it makes sense someone else would want the same username elsewhere lol
I found it on danbooru I'd look for it but uhh its pretty hard finding nice DQ artwork that isn't lewd lmao I'd say just type in hero and (dq6) although you don't have to use six

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I found it on danbooru I'd look for it but uhh its pretty hard finding nice DQ artwork that isn't lewd lmao I'd say just type in hero and (dq6) although you don't have to use six
Safebooru is better for that. you can also search for dragon_quest
There's still some questionable arts sometimes but at least no nudity or anything.

Ngl if it was an option, I hope Solo and Sophia acts as the Alph skin for Erdrick
That would be my own ideal. Sophia is my #1 pick. :)
It's not the ones rumored about, but you never know, they could just decide to go all-out for the costumes if they felt like it.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Safebooru is better for that. you can also search for dragon_quest
There's still some questionable arts sometimes but at least no nudity or anything.

That would be my own ideal. Sophia is my #1 pick. :)
It's not the ones rumored about, but you never know, they could just decide to go all-out for the costumes if they felt like it.
I just bit the bullet so you fine people don't have to enjoy https://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/2804731
Whoever this person is they have perfected the artsyle perfectly they're really good

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Only 400-500 posts before me and shinhed-echi shinhed-echi are Smash Braves.

(get it? smash hero title at 5k) i dont know when it's good to ruin jokes.
-also, we joined smashboards around the same time :O

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Only 400-500 posts before me and shinhed-echi shinhed-echi are Smash Braves.

(get it? smash hero title at 5k) i dont know when it's good to ruin jokes.
-also, we joined smashboards around the same time :O
What if Brave isn’t Erdrick but instead a Smashboards user on the rank of Smash Brave?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What if Brave isn’t Erdrick but instead a Smashboards user on the rank of Smash Brave?
I mean, typically it'd be a fictional character in smash, but sure sakurai could pull off a troll coup and taunt smashboards like that, sure. why not. ;)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean technically Erdrick doesn't have a canonical name :p
I saw some people and sites starting to stray away from the erdrick name, so it's back to just a hero. ..and in fact you cant even call your character Erdrick in the game,it stops you. But i think to most it'll still just be erdrick.

I actually never thought how hard it is to talk about characters who dont have their own name until all the speculation on forums. Now I'm a fan of characters having default names. Like, before smash I never thought of Ness as Ness (not to mention Ninten), because it's kind of a funny name if you think about it. I think they expected people to name the character. anyway :)

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
I mean technically Erdrick doesn't have a canonical name :p
I recall hearing that Erdrick's actual name is Arel. I believe this was the case in the Manga and CD Theater Drama?

The closest thing the first three heroes have to actual names are:

DQ1: Alef

DQ2: Allen

DQ3: Arel

Who knows if it's actually canon, but if they used "Arel" for Erdrick's real name in more than one thing, then I guess that's the closest we're going to get.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I believe Arel is just a bad localization of Abel, which is the hero in the anime, who's mostly based on Erdrick.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Dragongarowlee. Where the hell have you been all my life.
This is one of his Yuusha Yoshihiko doujin. I heard about that when I was searching for the episodes, but didn't find a translated version.
Anyway, a curiosity: the differences that is easiest to spot between Yoshihiko and Abel(DQV) are his pants and the Izanai no Tsurugi/The Beckoning Sword.

Last edited:

Akira_Joker

Smash Rookie
This thread for Erdrick is so peaceful...

This is my very first time here in SmashBoards. Sorry if I interrupted y'all...

Akira_Joker

Smash Rookie
Welcome! Any reason in particular why you decided to join?
The reason why I joined here is because I really can't stand the community in GameFAQs. They also treated Erdrick as one of the "generic anime swordsman" like Marth and the other Fire Emblem (well yes, the design is from Akira Toriyama, but he's far from generic).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The reason why I joined here is because I really can't stand the community in GameFAQs. They also treated Erdrick as one of the "generic anime swordsman" like Marth and the other Fire Emblem (well yes, the design is from Akira Toriyama, but he's far from generic).
Welcome to Smashboards :)

It's definitely nicer here than gamefaqs, though you'll still see the occasional spat or worse depending on where you go.
We can't totally escape people talking against some characters, it happens around here too, just less. Steve seems to be the character more people talk against, from what ive seen. People just dont want a square-head in the game or something :O nah, I'd prefer if someone else got in too, but it's still a pretty popular character so i'd understand the choice.

Anyway, everyone's free to support the characters they like :)

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
Welcome!

See the funny thing about people calling Toriyamas art generic is that there really isnt anything like it. If it was the generic big eyes anime design, that would be generic.

Akira_Joker

Smash Rookie
Welcome to Smashboards :)

It's definitely nicer here than gamefaqs, though you'll still see the occasional spat or worse depending on where you go.
We can't totally escape people talking against some characters, it happens around here too, just less. Steve seems to be the character more people talk against, from what ive seen. People just dont want a square-head in the game or something :O nah, I'd prefer if someone else got in too, but it's still a pretty popular character so i'd understand the choice.

Anyway, everyone's free to support the characters they like :)
I actually agree with you there. I guess I will never escape the toxicity of the Smash community... (no toxic here in this thread of course!)

As for Steve, a lot of people just referred to him as a "emotionless blocky guy". While I do understand the "block" part (because Minecraft), the "emotionless" part just makes me baffling. We already have a certain character who used to be like that and became more interesting when given movesets with one having a persona of a "serial killer" (I just got bodied by that character too with Ike. WITH IKE.).

It's really nice to see someone supporting Erdrick a lot. I never played any Dragon Quest games until the leaks came in. Few days ago, I just started playing Dragon Warrior and my experience with it, so far, is wonderful (although I got bodied by the Green Dragon three times, but that doesn't stop me at all). I can safely say that time and time I'll be enjoying more of these.

Welcome!

See the funny thing about people calling Toriyamas art generic is that there really isnt anything like it. If it was the generic big eyes anime design, that would be generic.
That's what I'm trying to say to everyone. Unfortunately, no one listened to me.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I actually agree with you there. I guess I will never escape the toxicity of the Smash community... (no toxic here in this thread of course!)

As for Steve, a lot of people just referred to him as a "emotionless blocky guy". While I do understand the "block" part (because Minecraft), the "emotionless" part just makes me baffling. We already have a certain character who used to be like that and became more interesting when given movesets with one having a persona of a "serial killer" (I just got bodied by that character too with Ike. WITH IKE.).

It's really nice to see someone supporting Erdrick a lot. I never played any Dragon Quest games until the leaks came in. Few days ago, I just started playing Dragon Warrior and my experience with it, so far, is wonderful (although I got bodied by the Green Dragon three times, but that doesn't stop me at all). I can safely say that time and time I'll be enjoying more of these.
Yeah the older games are more challenging. But that's what I like of them too. I like that we actually had to grind a little bit before going to a new more powerful section of the game. It actually felt like levels and skills had meaning. I mean it can still be like that if someone avoids a lot of encounters in the newer ones, which I kind of like as well. Technically someone can manage to make it challenging or easy depending on what they want and how they play. Anyway, it's a great series and each game has something different to offer.

I like generic big anime eyes :p But I do think toriyama's art is unique and good of its own :)

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
That's what I'm trying to say to everyone. Unfortunately, no one listened to me.
Well your safe in this thread Welcome aboard the more sword boys and girls who aren't in fire emblem I say the better Welcome to team DQ

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The only thing that bothers me about a Dragon Quest character is that Smash is almost guaranteed to credit the individual owners of the IP on the title screen which means: Armor Project, Bird Studio, and Square Enix will all be listed as well as MAYBE Sugiyama Kobo.

That last one bothers me. I don't want Sugiyama's name on the title screen of Smash Bros. The guy's a complete ass hole.

D

Deleted member

The only thing that bothers me about a Dragon Quest character is that Smash is almost guaranteed to credit the individual owners of the IP on the title screen which means: Armor Project, Bird Studio, and Square Enix will all be listed as well as MAYBE Sugiyama Kobo.

That last one bothers me. I don't want Sugiyama's name on the title screen of Smash Bros. The guy's a complete *** hole.
That's totally understandable, but I think many of us have spent much more time than we would have liked talking about this in the SE thread lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom