• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The hero of Dragon Quest III, Erdrick, joins the battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

What do people think about Sakurai saying he picked Piranha Plant for being entirely unique, and wishing less main characters were sword wielders? Seems kinda strange that he'd say that and then add THE rpg sword guy, I know Erdrick CAN use other weapons but theres no way the sword and shield wouldn't be his main weapons. I really can't imagine Sakurai saying that then making people pay for an rpg sword guy, even if it is THE original one.
Eh. We have Cloud and most of his moves are heavily reliant on his big ass sword and he still plays as a unique fighter in the roster. As someone who never played a FF mainline title, I can say Cloud was a neat addition upon reveal because I understood why he was there.

The same applies to Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest is probably even more legendary than FF 7. You said it yourself. Erdrick is THE rpg sword guy. And a fighter from DQ could pull a lot from the series to be unique in the same way Cloud is. I don't think there's issue in this subject.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm seeing a lot of people being eager to jump on the faulty 5chan leak as proof that Erdrick is 'deconfirmed'. C'mon. It isn't proof of that at all. It's just that one source that is 'deconfirmed'. If anything, that just makes Steve, Ryu Hayabusa, and Doomguy look less likely for now.
Yeah, I don't believe leakers to begin with, but I don't see how one random internet person saying another random internet person is fake makes something "proven fake".

What do people think about Sakurai saying he picked Piranha Plant for being entirely unique, and wishing less main characters were sword wielders? Seems kinda strange that he'd say that and then add THE rpg sword guy, I know Erdrick CAN use other weapons but theres no way the sword and shield wouldn't be his main weapons. I really can't imagine Sakurai saying that then making people pay for an rpg sword guy, even if it is THE original one.
I think it seems kinda strange that he would complain about having to make another sword wielder if he hadn't had to make another sword wielder recently. And since the only new sword fighter Ultimate has added so far was an echo...who is he complaining about?

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Holding Erdrick as a generic RPG protagonist is like holding Ryu as a generic fighting game protagonist. I mean, it's not wrong, but the reason they're generic is because they invented the tropes that everyone else follows.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
The sheer fact that we still haven’t seen DLC 2 at all yet it claimed all DLC would be known by E3.
Ah, that thing I was already telling all the time. Only the two first character are consistent. This guy changed two of then and change the place of Steve. Some insiders do this. Give a true info alongside with fake info. The Reddit claim in his post is likely to be coverage and he been a japanese insider. The same goes to the use of Erdrick alongside of Roto. Ryu and Marine are absolutely fake, but can't be sure of Steve been fake at this point, tho...
I thought that was for this person saying that Nintendo isn't the publisher of DQXIS.
https://www.nintendo.com/games/deta...s-of-an-elusive-age-definitive-edition-switch

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
What disproved that 5ch all characters leak?
2 big problems with the leak is that it is written in Japanese and still uses "Erdrick" (directly translated) instead of "Loto" (Erdricks japanese name). That's like having a leak from Japan where the writer uses Jigglypuff instead of Purin. No one in Japan would ever call the main character in dq3 Erdrick.

And, it claimed it got its info from a Reddit source that doesn't exist.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
2 big problems with the leak is that it is written in Japanese and still uses "Erdrick" (directly translated) instead of "Loto" (Erdricks japanese name). That's like having a leak from Japan where the writer uses Jigglypuff instead of Purin. No one in Japan would ever call the main character in dq3 Erdrick.

I said on my last reply about those two things. Indeed he used first Erdrick, but between ( ) he said that is Roto name overseas. People talk like he only used the English name.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
When did the 5ch leak get factually disproven?

This is the 2nd time I've had to correct this. The anon on 5ch said he took it from an overseas reddit and lists the characters. While he does say Erdrick, in parentheses he says "Overseas name of Roto". This is likely him just "copying" the source and clarifying who it is to the audience reading the "leak" Bear in mind, I think the thing has been fake since the beginning.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Anything with all five characters, even now, is awfully suspicious. I never quite understood why that one gathered such a following.

(I'm not sure if the idea of Doomguy / Doom Slayer being called "Marine" is suspicious too, or if I just hate it)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
2 big problems with the leak is that it is written in Japanese and still uses "Erdrick" (directly translated) instead of "Loto" (Erdricks japanese name).
It's technically "Roto". I know some people assume it's supposed to be Loto because of the whole Japanese pronounciation thing, but artwork for his shield shows it has the Norse runes R O T O right on it.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
It's technically "Roto". I know some people assume it's supposed to be Loto because of the whole Japanese pronounciation thing, but artwork for his shield shows it has the Norse runes R O T O right on it.
You're right, but remember that the GBC remakes used Loto, and some people are still most familiar with those versions. I forget what the SNES fan translations used, but those might be a factor too.

DQ sure has been on a localization roller coaster over the years. I'm sure the kind of folks who get hung up on Eggman vs. Robotnik would have a field day with Milly/Milayou/Mireille/Muriel/Android 18.

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
You're right, but remember that the GBC remakes used Loto, and some people are still most familiar with those versions. I forget what the SNES fan translations used, but those might be a factor too.

DQ sure has been on a localization roller coaster over the years. I'm sure the kind of folks who get hung up on Eggman vs. Robotnik would have a field day with Milly/Milayou/Mireille/Muriel/Android 18.
This is other benefit of him in Smash, we will actually see the official romanization of his name/title.
Also he will be the fourth character to go by a nickname as we had Solid Snake, Bayonetta and now Joker.
Also will be the second winch the player choose the name and have a media official name, as Joker had Ren Amamiya(for manga, anime, etc.), Erdrick have Arel that is used in some mangas, the Novel and the CD Drama.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
How did I end up posting here? I meant to post somewhere else lol.

Anyway. Go erdrick :)

Last edited:

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
People say all sorts of things. The poster didn't say anything about being familiar with maya files. I think they're just assuming what they said and dont really know jack about longer maya files (did i make a pun?).
That said, I don't really know for sure myself, but going by the dataminers, it doesn't seem out of the ordinary for a file name to be like that. Afterall, files can have more than one extension for certain apps, and considering that a model can have layers of sorts, I'm guessing the second extension specifies the hair portion of the costume's model.

I'll keep a lookout for info about that, just to be sure, but I'm not gonna lean towards what some random poster says over dataminers for now.
Unlikely as the line straight up said Jack on the beginning. If I'm not wrong there's some specific info like "Jane" is in character that the gender or name change in their alts.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Unlikely as the line straight up said Jack on the beginning. If I'm not wrong there's some specific info like "Jane" is in character that the gender or name change in their alts.
Yeah, it was in response to something a forum-goer said. I meant to post ssomewhere else, but it's ok because I found something better to post there :p
Hopefully we do get something neat with joker's costumes :)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am a bit lost. Who is Jane? How do we know if Jane is an opposite gender alt for Brave (possibly Erdrick) and not a third DLC character?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I am a bit lost. Who is Jane? How do we know if Jane is an opposite gender alt for Brave (possibly Erdrick) and not a third DLC character?
The 'jane' hair file is for jack's costume #7 (c06). {So, Joker, not erdrick}
We don't really know if it's a full gender alt, because it's the seventh costume, but there's also a ponytail, according to the file name.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The 'jane' hair file is for jack's costume #7 (c06). {So, Joker, not erdrick}
We don't really know if it's a full gender alt, because it's the seventh costume, but there's also a ponytail, according to the file name.
Aww... bummer.

It would be nice to have a third DLC character... one with a ponytail. :ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
There's going to be another Japanese DQXI S stream on March 27th. Will there be a Smash announcement? Absolutely not. Will it be worth watching? Ha, not live. Might there theoretically be some corresponding western promotion around that time? Maybe, depending on what they reveal. We're kind of in uncharted waters here with the maybe-simultaneous worldwide release. They'll have to show the new stuff off sometime.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's going to be another Japanese DQXI S stream on March 27th. Will there be a Smash announcement? Absolutely not. Will it be worth watching? Ha, not live. Might there theoretically be some corresponding western promotion around that time? Maybe, depending on what they reveal. We're kind of in uncharted waters here with the maybe-simultaneous worldwide release. They'll have to show the new stuff off sometime.
Hey we never know. If luminary is part of the character, they might announce it with a DQ stream like that sometime. Probably not, but maybe worth keeping a lookout.

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
I can't imagine an announcement like a Smash character happening in a Japanese-language-only stream, especially since there'll likely be a Smash mini-Direct or something around that time to properly show off Joker and anything else that comes with the 3.0 update. If there's a character announcement in the next little while, it'll be bundled with that.

What I could maybe see happening on the 27th is something like DQI-III port announcements. That'd be consistent with what the PS4 and 3DS versions got (though hopefully it wouldn't be those exact versions), and it'd fit in with the Erdrick stuff. We'll see.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I can't imagine an announcement like a Smash character happening in a Japanese-language-only stream, especially since there'll likely be a Smash mini-Direct or something around that time to properly show off Joker and anything else that comes with the 3.0 update. If there's a character announcement in the next little while, it'll be bundled with that.

What I could maybe see happening on the 27th is something like DQI-III port announcements. That'd be consistent with what the PS4 and 3DS versions got (though hopefully it wouldn't be those exact versions), and it'd fit in with the Erdrick stuff. We'll see.
Well Shulk was revealed during a japanese-only direct. I don't expect them to do it, but you never know.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Well, we can pretty much guarantee that there's going to be a Smash Direct before the April update. That late in March, we may have gotten it already, and if we have, we might have already seen the next character announcement.

D

Deleted member

Update 3.0.0 pretty much means we're getting a Smash direct if it's worth covering. By March 27th, we'll probably already have a direct announcement or be on the verge of one.

D

Deleted member

The stream seems to be part 2 of the stream they held early in January, its going to go on details regarding the stuff shown in the last direct plus the voice cast (Thats pretty much what I got from the translate).

I feel any additional details (Smash or other DQ ports) are going to be added in another direct.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
March 27 is a date I’m very much looking forward to.

I want to keep my expectations low, but I feel that this year is going to have something extra special.

A remaster for DQ 1~3 would be amazing, but I’m not expecting it.
I would like them to announce the original DQ nes games for the Switch online service, but I doubt they’d be that generous.

Hopefully there’s the smash related announcement we’re all waiting for. Maybe they’re the perfect crowd for it. Although making he announcement only for them would probably send the wrong message. Or maybe I’m looking too deeply into it.

Crossing my fingers for a new DQ anime as always.

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
I definitely think a 3D remake of DQ 3 (with probably 1 and 2 as well) could very well be brewing. I mean, DQ has not stopped releasing remakes for the last 26 years, so you can kinda assume it's an eventuality. I am guessing an engine based on DQ11 3DS maybe... It would fit well for the eventual DQ 9 remake, but I would like a remake of 3 to be a bit more ambitious though not "takes more than half a decade to make" ambitious.

D

Deleted member

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
DQ 3 remake would amazing.

Do you think it should be a 1:1 remake in 3D ?
Or should they add features such as tension, newer job classes, weapon skills, etc?

I think they should add these features as an optional mode for when you beat the game, maybe.

Probably also add head customization for party members?

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
DQ 3 remake would amazing.

Or should they add features such as tension, newer job classes, weapon skills, etc?

I think they should add these features as an optional mode for when you beat the game, maybe.

Probably also add head customization for party members?
My personal takeaway:

Adding more details to the events would be nice, along with more variety to the architecture of locations so more places outside of Not-Japan feel unique. I would even be fine with some new villages, and it would be great if they made actual routes so you really feel each location (of course, with built-in 2D overworld mode like DQ11)

I think there should be settings in the start, with the remake mode and the classic mode, remake mode adds abilities and such.
I want personality abilities to come back from 8, and to interact with the personality system of III. So say, a sexy or lothario hero can use sex appeal abilities, a fearless or valiant character can use courage, a amazon/jock can use some new physical boost skills. Maybe each personality giving two trees or unique trees with shared abilities, because say, a tomboy is kinda of a mix of courage, agile and maybe a bit of a bully.

I think personalization would be nice, but here is a weird take: Hair colors can be just changed a bit, you can create your own hero, but they keep the iconic looks and everything is designed to work well with the clothes. (Which should keep the same color schemes for each class)

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
DQIII's in a weird place as kind of a piece of history. Any of the games from IV onward could get the XI treatment and be completely fine, but you gotta treat III with kid gloves.

I think detailed customization is better left to the later games; the designs for the different classes in DQIII are just so iconic that they've pretty much become their own characters. I'd spend the whole game waiting 'til I could deck out my warrior as The Real Warrior, and my mage as The Real Mage, and so on.

I'd welcome stuff like a skill system and Pep or Tension, though. Weapon abilities, shields that can actually block, the zam spell line. Maybe a new class or two, since the SNES version already added one. I've always been partial to armamentalists, personally. Oh, and they could finally give Zoma his second form that they ran out of room to put in the original. That's been a long time coming.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Zona was going to have a second form? That would be awesome to include!

I would love to have a Monster Master/Tamer class. Basically, would be able to recruit a wild monster (being the unofficial 5th party member) but would be limited to tactics auto-commands.
Maybe nothing too fancy like having them level up or anything.

D

Deleted member

Let's say DQ 3 Remake is released for the Switch.

They should go for a RE2 Remake situation to where they just make it a completely different game that captures the same feel of the original source. Better graphics and animations, more efficient gameplay that falls in line with modern day games, a more fleshed out narrative, etc. If a DQ 3 remake was being decided for the DS, then I'd be more lenient on faithfulness, but it'll probably be released onto more modern technology, meaning it will have to live up to modern expectations for the series.

So for the love of mercy, please don't make it 1:1 in design. I played FE Echoes, and that game's presentation is amazing. It's almost a standard of what a remake's presentation should be because the story, writing, character designs, voice acting, and music are so professionally handled for a game that was released on the NES. Issue is that they don't fix the poor gameplay design choices from the original source so it falters overall as an experience because of an archaic structure. An amazing face-lift does not make a remake a good game; it becomes superficial at the end of the day. If Dragon Quest 3 had archaic elements that wouldn't fly today, they should be changed. In my opinion, I don't want to play an NES game with Switch graphics. I want to play a Switch game with Switch quality. They will need to do more than just add modern DQ movesets and items for it to be a high quality experience. What that means is beyond me because I need to play more DQ games, especially DQ 3 itself.

I've just played enough remakes to know that if I wanted to play the original game, I'll play the original game. A DQ 3 remake wouldn't just be like DQ 8 3D or Majora's Mask 3D where they could just port the game onto the system and be done. DQ 3 is a NES with a SNES remake and the game deserves more than a 1:1 remaster. It's really old. I want to see how it would look if they just redid the game entirely while still keeping what made it great.

E: A remaster anthology of the first three games might be cool in a similar way Crash Bandicoot got his remastered trilogy if it had as much love put into it.

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
Anybody remember that time the Cypress Stick showed up as a weapon in NieR Automata? I don't think I ever came across it, but its weapon story is related to Erdrick, kind of. It's cute.

"I was in a dead sleep when mum started shouting. "Wakey-wakey!" she squawked. "Rise and shiine! Today's a very important day! Today's your first visit to the castle!" ...Annoying, right? But I got up anyway."

"Today's my 16th birthday, and I have an audience with the king. Mum's apparently worried that he'll charge me with some big important task, so she gave me a cypress stick...for some reason. Pffft. Like that'll help."

"As we walk to the castle, Mum keeps blabbing about how excited she is and how long she's been waiting for this day. She's told me this story a million and one times, so I just keep quiet like always."

"When we arrive, I see my friend coming out of the castle. He's 16, too, but his fearless gaze makes him look like a legendary hero-to-be. I'm sure he's got a lot to live up to! MY dad's just a carpenter, so I've got it easy, heh."

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Anybody remember that time the Cypress Stick showed up as a weapon in NieR Automata? I don't think I ever came across it, but its weapon story is related to Erdrick, kind of. It's cute.

"I was in a dead sleep when mum started shouting. "Wakey-wakey!" she squawked. "Rise and shiine! Today's a very important day! Today's your first visit to the castle!" ...Annoying, right? But I got up anyway."

"Today's my 16th birthday, and I have an audience with the king. Mum's apparently worried that he'll charge me with some big important task, so she gave me a cypress stick...for some reason. Pffft. Like that'll help."

"As we walk to the castle, Mum keeps blabbing about how excited she is and how long she's been waiting for this day. She's told me this story a million and one times, so I just keep quiet like always."

"When we arrive, I see my friend coming out of the castle. He's 16, too, but his fearless gaze makes him look like a legendary hero-to-be. I'm sure he's got a lot to live up to! MY dad's just a carpenter, so I've got it easy, heh."
When I played NieR: Automata (one of my new favorite games of all time), I stuck to a couple of weapons the whole time because I was overwhelmed by all the stuff I could do and wanted to make things simple for myself. I wish I found the Cypress Stick and the Dragon Quest reference with it, haha!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think it'd be a great idea to really remake DQ3, and add a lot of stuff.. And just improve everything.

Though, even just a remaster with better graphics and art would be better than what we have now, cuz we only have the old versions.
I'm thinking of maybe playing it on the gbc because what someone said made me remember that I like those graphics too. That's where I first played DQMonsters and had a load of fun with it.

Everyone doing fine on the wait for more news? :)

Namasura

Smash Journeyman
I think it'd be a great idea to really remake DQ3, and add a lot of stuff.. And just improve everything.

Though, even just a remaster with better graphics and art would be better than what we have now, cuz we only have the old versions.
I'm thinking of maybe playing it on the gbc because what someone said made me remember that I like those graphics too. That's where I first played DQMonsters and had a load of fun with it.

Everyone doing fine on the wait for more news? :)
I am playing DQ3 on GBC right now, actually. It's my favorite version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom