• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heavenly Scriptures:A Pit Q&A thread!

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
I LOVE THE MARTH MATCHUP.

All you do is PS approaches and fsmash. Everytime. Its ridic. If he hits you and you ps it, he's in range for an fsmash with any move.

and airdodge > utilt. BOOM DONE.
lol you referred to me unconciously xD

and I'm pretty sure a perfectly spaced fair against PS isn't punishable.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Shoot more arrows, but changng timing, his shield will go down quickly

So, when he is near you, he doesn't got a shield to use safely
A good player will powershield your arrows and be in your face after 3-4 shots. You can change up timing and mindgame them into sitting in their shields by just holding an arrow sometimes, but arrows effectiveness is destroyed by powershielding.

Still useful for cheap hits and forcing people to approach, though.

cp2

Smash Rookie
yes, but if he isn't near you, it's your best option by far...

he ps everything: ****

he doesn't: at least you have a chance

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
no i dont jump with the control stick.

but you can cancle glide shift?!

what is the timing?
what exactly does it do?
It's easy, there is no exact timeing. On the Game Cube controller, Press X or Y to cancel Glide Shift at any time. It's helpfull when mindgaming people or have made a mistake. But don't cancel when you've run out of jumps, because then you will fall and Self-Destruct. You can also cancel by just going up until Pit goes out of Glide Shift himself. I hope this helps ^__^.

Damien = God

Smash Cadet
Why should one Wing Dash?

I can do it, learned how to the other day. Never see an actual need to do it.

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
Why should one Wing Dash?

I can do it, learned how to the other day. Never see an actual need to do it.
i agree with you in a sense that i have never needed to wing dash either.

but my guess is that its an AT that depends on ur level of play.

you can see more advanced players use it and abuse it but its not used as much as arrow looping and there is usually some other less confusing options.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
I think Wing Dashing is a great way to cancell out most projectiles while still keeping your momentum. Since cancelling out a projectile doesn't slow you down when you Wing Dash, it's an easy way to punish someone when you're close enough (in my opinion). I've also found it to be usefull against Kirby's Hammer when he uses it in midair. And since it pushes people back a little, you can force them to grab the edge of the stage (although I have not found any good uses for that, since a player who knows Pit's spike will quickly get back on the stage). That's my opinion on why Wing Dashing is usefull.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Wing dash for mindgames? I know it trips me up when a Pit player approaches me, then Wing Dashes away to punish my reaction.

However, I came here to ask a question:

How does Pit do vs Lucario and ICs? I was wondering whether picking him up for Lucario, ICs and Marth was a good idea. The Marth MU is marked as 40-60, which, while not great, still seems better than the one I have with Kirby or Mario, so I was wondering how Pit does against the other characters I struggle with.

some times im jumping and i start gliding with out holding down the jump button. what causes that?
It's a ******** game mechanic, but if you tap left right (or right left) in the air with gliding characters, you get a glide.

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
Both lucario and ICs are random chars that i rareley get to play against but based on how they both play, i would have to say that pit has the advantage because they are both close range (for the most part) and can get out spammed.

and btw thx for giving me an answer that i have been trying to get for over a week
thx thx thx thx

ShermantheTank

Smash Journeyman
How does Pit do vs Lucario and ICs? I was wondering whether picking him up for Lucario, ICs and Marth was a good idea. The Marth MU is marked as 40-60, which, while not great, still seems better than the one I have with Kirby or Mario, so I was wondering how Pit does against the other characters I struggle with.
Pit v Lucario is in Pit's favor. Pit destroys Lucario at a distance, and they're only about even in close range. Lucario is also easy to gimp which is something Pit is wonderfu at. The big thing in this fight (and most of Pit's fights) is that you can NOT approach Lucario; a few of his attacks are very highly disjointed and WILL punish Pit.

ICs don't get grabbed (sorry no experience).

If you can read Marth well he's definitely beatable. But his speed and range beat Pit; Pit's arrows are extremely punishable and Marth can out-space everything Pit does.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Wait, why is Utilt good? Maybe I just don't see it, but seeing how easy it seems to be to SDI and punish, why would you say it's a good move? Am I using it wrong?

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
It comes out on frame 2. SHAD makes the ***-range not a big deal, and it's great any time people roll into you and stuff.

Never had anyone DI out, it's pretty fast besides.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
So I main Kirby and picked up Pit to mainly help out with Snake, Marth, and Lucario but I found a massively glaring weakness. I was playing my friend's TL and he SDI'd outta Pit's fsmash. Before its asked, no I wasn't far away, he was right in front of me and I thought it would be a guaranteed stock since he was in kill range. I will admit that this guys SDI is stupid good but are there any setups that would make dsmash easier to connect with? I figured this would apply to Marth and Lucario since they're floaty like TL.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So I main Kirby and picked up Pit to mainly help out with Snake, Marth, and Lucario but I found a massively glaring weakness. I was playing my friend's TL and he SDI'd outta Pit's fsmash. Before its asked, no I wasn't far away, he was right in front of me and I thought it would be a guaranteed stock since he was in kill range. I will admit that this guys SDI is stupid good but are there any setups that would make dsmash easier to connect with? I figured this would apply to Marth and Lucario since they're floaty like TL.
You can SDI almost all of Pit's moves to my knowledge, but then, most multi-hitting characters have that problem. Pit just has it worse than some IF the opponent has good reaction time/good prediction skills/knows they can do it at all.

I know you can SDI his SideB, Utilt, Fsmash, jab, Uair, Nair...

The thing is, to my knowledge, none of this really criples him. And you know, you can SDI stuff like TL's Fsmash and Dsmash, along with ROB's Dsmash, Kirby's Fair and Dair, MK's Fair, Lucario's Dair, etc., yet these are still all good moves which everyone uses often.

Being able to have your moves SDI sucks, sure, but Pit actually has it better than most in that of the moves he actually seems to rely on that can be SDI'd, SDI'ing doesn't allow for you to get punished.

Anyway, that's my impression, but I haven't played Pit very long, so meh.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I'm a bit confused about practical applications of arrow looping. It's easy to notice when a Pit is looping an arrow and the time taken to loop one arrow could be used to fire off three. It doesn't seem useful as a mindgame or anything like that.
Anyone care to explain?

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I'm a bit confused about practical applications of arrow looping. It's easy to notice when a Pit is looping an arrow and the time taken to loop one arrow could be used to fire off three. It doesn't seem useful as a mindgame or anything like that.
Anyone care to explain?
Arrow looping really does not have a practical application. Its all for flash. If you are learning Pit for the 1st time, I recommend that you don't worry about implementing arrow looping in your game. Instead, you need to be worried about how to make your foundation better. Do you know how to observe and mindgame your opponent? Do you know how to adapt to an opponent? Can you recover safely using all of Pit's recovery options? If you cannot say yes to any of the above questions, then you are not ready to learn arrow looping. Arrow looping is an "advanced technique" for a reason.

All of the top Pit players will agree with me. Goodluck w/ your Pit!!!

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Thank you for answering that. If you don't mind, I have one more question.
Does Pit have a "best" 2v2 partner?

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
Hey, Pit mainers. I was wondering if you all could tell me how well Pit does on battlefield. good - neutral - bad?
its a better option than fd

to my experience, pit does best in big, wide open spaces.
battlefeild is relativley small and the plataforms cancle out most airial/arrow shenanegans.
however, pit is not at a disadvantage because the plataforms can be use against dk as well and even if its small, its still a good size

if ur gonna cp a neutral stage, ur best pick would be yoshi´s island. (my opinion)
the plataform in yoshi´s is somewhat inconveniant and the shyguys are extremley annoying AND pit cant fly under the stage so that reduces recovery options

'Kicks'

Smash Cadet
is Nair Utilt a good sub for SHAD utilt?

btw merry christmas everyone!!!!!

good luck on ur christmas combos

Edit: can someone provide some cunstructive critizism on this?
and keep in mind that vickey was sandbagging....

*hangs head in shame*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFjAiPXPWoQ

ok there are a few things that you could implement to make this matchup work a little more in your favor.

1. Disrupt his nade game. It can get hard when a good snake starts to cook his grenades and they can always force you to drop them but remember you always have plenty of options. First off then they are thrown at you they have a lot of momentum so if the snake is not tricky you can always use MS to reflect them back. But a good snake never gives you the chance to reflect them. The safest way to be rid of those grenades is to wingdash them away. It works the best when they are thrown right at you since they have the most momentum then. Wingdashing almost always propels them out of danger and keeps you safe from the advancing snake.

2. Plank safer. Your Uair can hit through platforms so use that as a barrier between you and your opponent. It will be much harder for them to hit you and if they just stand there and try and guard your recovery they will most likely be Uair'ed via shield stab. If the opponent is far away though the double arrow planking is always a good option.

3. Utilize pit's overhead game. For a character like snkae is is much riskier but when you have their patterns down it is well worth it. Make sure to fast fall aerials and always keep your dair in mind when approaching from above. Also remember that even from above WoI can still have the push effect. But mainly use WoI for wing lunging when coming from above. I cannot stress the usefulness of winglunging!!!

And lastly make sure to practice DI'ing your aerials away from your opponent and make sure to mix up your recovery options to keep them guessing.

Hope this helped

'Kicks'

Smash Cadet
Ok now onto BF

I think battlefield is a great nuetral for pit. Yes it is harder to arrow loop and arrow camp but both are still very possible here. Just work on your slight curves with your arrows and you will be able to camp around those platforms like they are not there.

The edges on the stage are perfect for pit to plank on. They provide an excellent shield and allow his Uair and bair to reach through to an opponent. Occasionaly you can also catch someone off guard with a sour spotted bair through the stage.

The platforms are at a perfect height for so many things. First off we have all of our WoI shenanigans we can pull off from one platform to the other, one platform to the stage or even one platform to the edge. Keep in mind we can camp under a platform and use the puch effect from wingdashing to keep some opponents above us. They are also a perfect height for us to use our AR advanced techniques. As for attacks we can Utilt and Usmash through the platforms and our tilt will often shield spike. All aerials will hit through the platform while keeping us under hit when short hopped with the exception of Dair of course. Arrows can be looped to hit someone ontop of a platform as well, which if an arrow hits a shield can then be followed by any other attack to abuse the shield.

So we have all of these ways to fight from the ground and forcing our opponent to approach from above. And we have that aerial advantage over most of the cast. Almost any character appraoching pit from above is ideal for us. We can punish them as they try and land or just wait for the air dodge and get our grab and toss them right back up there where we want them. Battlefield is not the best stage for pit but I think is is definitly the best nuetral

The level is set up perfectly for pit to wing lunge all over the place as well.

All in all i think this is a great level for pit that is often under utilized by us players. However there are characters who have a greater advantage over us on BF such as MK, Marth and sometimes Falco depending on the players.

BMX

Smash Lord
So I started picking up Pit and I'm starting to love him.

I play somewhat campy, but aggressive when I receive the lead.

Now, with WoI, how is that used properly?

'Kicks'

Smash Cadet
for edgeguarding instead of spamming arrows use your wing renewal. Most times people are not good enough with their arrows so wing renewal often is more applicale and accurate.

On stage there are a lot of things you can do. Wingdashing is the most common WoI trick. This technique is preformed on the ground. It can be used as an approach or a retreat. If you are managing your moving momentum correctly this can also be faster than running sometimes. And when you land it perfectly you can buffer any attack in. Wingdashing also has two other properties that make it useful. It has a wind push effect that can cancel out many projectiles and can even push some of the physical ones like snakes grenades away. But it can also push the player away. You can use this however you wish but most often i use it for adjusting my spacing.

If you are in the air try wing lunging. This is using your WoI to pause you in the the air pretty much. Activating it in the air will completely stop your falling momentum for a second. When close to an opponent keep in mind it still has the wind push effect. To wing lunge wait for them to attak then use WoI to avoid their attack or wait for their shield to drop. Once this happens use the wings to fast fall an aerial attack. Be careful though because if they shield your attack you are in for some trouble.

Another tip. Sometimes you can catch a character mid move with your WoI either on the ground or in the air. It happens more in the air though. Starting your WoI right by them kills a lot of their momentum and can leave them open for a free hit but your timing and spacing has to be perfect!

Play around with the move a little more and tell me what you think?
did i say anything in here that you need help with?

Top Bottom