• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heavenly Scriptures:A Pit Q&A thread!

Phaigne

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the set up takes to long at all, more like a delayed arrow.

Most people can't control arrows and position themselves correctly to think its useful.

If you know how to control an arrow just right, you have enough time to evade and attack with an arrow returning just in time.
Unfortunately, in a tournament match, a looped arrow just takes too much time. If you are playing someone good, they won't give you the time to loop an arrow, and if you're playing someone camping, shooting straight arrows is usually much more effective.

Don't get me wrong, there are times it could work, but it's still a rather gimmicky technique.

ART= Angel Ring Tech.

Seiya7

Smash Apprentice
Esca and I were just talking about this the other day, so is there a for sure technique to doing this that we just havent found out yet?

we think it may just be part of the random game mechanics like how sometimes in the air if you charge a donkey punch with dk and shield you'll cancel it but sometimes you'll airdodge lol

Esca

Smash Champion
As I said before, don't be predictable with arrows.

Butttttt...
If you know G&W wants to bucket your arrows, mindgame him by angling your arrow upwards before it hits the bucket, therefore missing it. After a while, it starts to get funner as they get more and more paranoid with it. I wouldn't suggest doing that at tournies, I usually do it in friendlies to have some laughs. Although, if G&W buckets endlessly offstage(as a result of you spamming arrows from the stage), they can sometimes get carried away and end up getting GIMPED. :laugh:
G&W's bucket catches stuff very far around it. There's an invisible box the size of Bowser around the bucket that picks up stuff.

Fill up his bucket when he's bucket breaking, and he has to die, it sends him too low.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
G&W's bucket catches stuff very far around it. There's an invisible box the size of Bowser around the bucket that picks up stuff.

Fill up his bucket when he's bucket breaking, and he has to die, it sends him too low.
Well, once he sees you charging an arrow, that bucket comes out.
So, you can pull it upward at any time.. but as I said, I only do that for fun.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
After spending a night researching the ART Techinque, I decided to come out with my explanation.

My findings are like the ones on "The ULTIMATE Pit Guide!" with a few differences. So I'm just gonna explain this as a step-by-step procedure. REMEMBER!!: I've only done the research for SH, NOT the full hop. I am basing these instructions on the GC controller.

1: Do SH. 2: Time the Initiaiton of Angel Ring so that Pit hits the ground when he says the "YAAAAAAH!" of his a little anoying "hi-hi-hi-YAAAAAAH!" battle cry. 3: While your in the air, keep the control stick pushed forward or else this won't work. Also, don't press the B button after you initiated the Angel Ring EXCEPT for when you hit the ground (It also helps if you have a little forward momentum in your jump ^__^). 4: Time your second press of the B button so that it lines up with the time that Pit touches the ground. 5: Keep pressing the B button after ART takes effect. I noted this as a step because this move can at least rack up over 30% damage to someone who is suprised (that means that they don't DI for the first two seconds.).

What you should see visually: You know how Pit's Angel Ring kind of "Lights up" When it starts? If you do ART right, you will see it "Light up" again when Pit hit's the ground even if ART doesn't take effect. This helps tell you that your close to getting it right ^__^.

If you want to attack the enemy as soon as you star the Angel Ring, the timings gonna be different since you don't have Pit's voice as a guide (Since you slow down a bit when you hit the enemy.). My suggestion is to memorize the height that you were able to do the ART on when you weren't hitting the enemy. It'll work.

There MIGHT be another way to do this. So I encourage people to look for other ways as well ^__^.

I hope this helps everyone a bit ^__^.

(Please don't be mad at me. I know these instructions are kind of like the ones found in the "ULTIMATE Pit Guide" thread. But it didn't specify to keep the controll stick pushed forward or to push the B button when Pit hits the ground. So please say that it's the same.)

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Your welcome afro ^__^. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask them. My profile is also public, so you can ask me there too. I hope my little guide helps everyone ^__^.

I also think that video was good. But I would've been a little more aggressive in the beginning. But it was good ^__^. I especially liked the tricks with WOI. THOSE were good.

Afropony

Smash Lord
get into his personal space, get him into the air and then gimp him.
Don't try outcamping it's to difficult if they're any good. If you're in trouble try camping on the edge for a while.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I suck at this matchup and hate it to a fiery death, but something I learned this weekend is that SHAD is a great way to get into him. Follow up with a grab, utilt, whatever. And never get predictable.

I'm so bad at this matchup, though.

Esca

Smash Champion
Don Guero, PLEASE do NOT get into Olimar's personal space. ABSOLUTE worse thing you can do.

PM Zori, and ask him. We've met in tourney several times, and it ALWAYS goes to time. Just ask him what to do and hell answer you. It's better to ask an olimar what to do against him, he knows better. :)

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Arrows I guess? Since he outranges and outkills you
Esca would probably say to do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RmXt4BupAQ xP
hi i decided to try to pick pit up and this video is to good but i have some questions about it.

1: i understand why he WOI at times (like when he stops the snakes f-tilt but he does it a lot during this fight and sometimes i don't see the reason why. is it just for mind games or are there other reasons he uses it so much.

2: he loops his arrows a lot and i am still working on getting my looping down just how importent is looping arrows to pits game? plus how do u not get punished in the time it takes to loop your arrows.

thats all on the video. it is a great video btw. now some general questions

1: what is diffrence between slidestepping and the angelic step they seem to have the same inputs but the step goes farther. how useful are they?

2: i am getting better at wingdashing but i am not sure how to use this in my pit game. is it mostly for mind games or should i try to use it for spacing more?

3: i am not use to characters who glide so this is a very noob sounding question. after u cancel a glide are u unable to glide again with your remaning jumps? i think the answer is you can't glide again but i just want to make sure.

thats all for now i also want to say i have been reading the guids and they have been very useful, also thanks for the help (assuming someone is going to answer my questions) :)

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
hi I Decided To Try To Pick Pit Up And This Video Is To Good But I Have Some Questions About It.

1: I Understand Why He Woi At Times (like When He Stops The Snakes F-tilt But He Does It A Lot During This Fight And Sometimes I Don't See The Reason Why. Is It Just For Mind Games Or Are There Other Reasons He Uses It So Much.
don´t Camp It Up, It Isn´t That Usefull.
First Of All Concentrate On The Basics.

2: He Loops His Arrows A Lot And I Am Still Working On Getting My Looping Down Just How Importent Is Looping Arrows To Pits Game? Plus How Do U Not Get Punished In The Time It Takes To Loop Your Arrows.
as I Said In 1: Concentrate On The Basics, Arrow Looping Is Useless, If You Do It All The Time.

Thats All On The Video. It Is A Great Video Btw. Now Some General Questions

1: What Is Diffrence Between Slidestepping And The Angelic Step They Seem To Have The Same Inputs But The Step Goes Farther. How Useful Are They?
angelic Step Isn´t Usefull, Don´t Use It In Mean Matches.
2: I Am Getting Better At Wingdashing But I Am Not Sure How To Use This In My Pit Game. Is It Mostly For Mind Games Or Should I Try To Use It For Spacing More?
it´s Kind Of The Wavedash In Melee, So Use It To Punish Your Oppenents..
3: I Am Not Use To Characters Who Glide So This Is A Very Noob Sounding Question. After U Cancel A Glide Are U Unable To Glide Again With Your Remaning Jumps? I Think The Answer Is You Can't Glide Again But I Just Want To Make Sure.
it Doesn´t Work.
Thats All For Now I Also Want To Say I Have Been Reading The Guids And They Have Been Very Useful, Also Thanks For The Help (assuming Someone Is Going To Answer My Questions) :)

dualseeker

Smash Ace
I agree with CYVE on this, NAGACE. Don't get to much into the advanced techniques until you have learned the basics with Pit. I think you should develop your own way of playing with Pit before you get to the advanced moves. Once you have your own style of play, and have gotten familiar with Pits movements, you should try to incorperate the advanced moves into your play. But if you just picked up Pit, I think it's too early to be thinking about using the advanced moves. But I think you should at least see other Pits playing and using these moves (Like in that last one). Then at least you could get a sample of how they are used. I hope this helps a bit NAGACE ^__^.

And Arrow Looping isn't useless. It's only useless if you don't have good control and use it every second. I think Arrow Looping should be used, though. It DOES help win matches!!!! Trust me!

Esca

Smash Champion
NAGACE, I'll tell you how.

Firstly, welcome to the Pit boards!

Next, like others have said above, please try and concentrate on the basics first.

The best thing to do, to get good with arrows, is go into custom stage builder, and put a sandbag down, then learn basic arrows. Shorthop shoot them, shoot them from different angles, etc. It builds your arrow game and after a while you'll get used to it. Arrow looping isn't useless in my opinion, notice how many I hit with and/or pressured him with into doing different things.

Wings of Icarus, (WoI) have VERY high priority. So, if you time it right, then you can cancel out attacks. then punish accordingly. This is the reason I input it into my game. I WoI and cancel something out, or if I don't do it I don't really get hit. It's a safe way to try and build damage/keep away from your opponent.

But something you're going to have to get down, first, is learning to camp. I don't care what ANYONE says about Pit, camping is THE single best strategy that you can do with Pit. The reason being is because if I hit you with an arrow, and then another, etc... it aggravates and frustrates your opponent. When they get aggravated, they normally rush you, as this is first instinct. This is when you switch up, but just for a second. As soon as you notice an increased amount of aggression, start grabbing alot! Just sheild their approach, and grab. This gets them even more frustrated. After that, just go back to camping. It works. The only character that can outcamp Pit is Toon Link. Wario is arguable but you can still spam arrows against him.

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
hi i decided to try to pick pit up and this video is to good but i have some questions about it.

1: i understand why he WOI at times (like when he stops the snakes f-tilt but he does it a lot during this fight and sometimes i don't see the reason why. is it just for mind games or are there other reasons he uses it so much.

2: he loops his arrows a lot and i am still working on getting my looping down just how importent is looping arrows to pits game? plus how do u not get punished in the time it takes to loop your arrows.

thats all on the video. it is a great video btw. now some general questions

1: what is diffrence between slidestepping and the angelic step they seem to have the same inputs but the step goes farther. how useful are they?

2: i am getting better at wingdashing but i am not sure how to use this in my pit game. is it mostly for mind games or should i try to use it for spacing more?

3: i am not use to characters who glide so this is a very noob sounding question. after u cancel a glide are u unable to glide again with your remaning jumps? i think the answer is you can't glide again but i just want to make sure.

thats all for now i also want to say i have been reading the guids and they have been very useful, also thanks for the help (assuming someone is going to answer my questions) :)
(please keep in mind that i am no pit pro) i will base my responses on personal experiance and things that i have seen better pits do

1. pit is a pretty simple character, so he needs something extra to fight a snake, thats where the WOIing comes into play. its not used for mind games as much as disrupting ur opponent and punishing. it can also get you out of being jugled by fast falling with WOI. (dont do this unless you have it PERFECTED!)

2. arrow looping is not as important as learning the character but it does have its perks. it can decide who wins a match if both players are about even. its ablity to give you free smashes and combos cant be ignored. And as i have come to find, if you do spam arrow loops, and get "predictable" you can fake an arrow loop by shooting an arrow in the opposite direction of your opponent and get a free grab :p as for getting punished while looping, you just have to keep an eye on your opponent. in the end its all about spacing. if it looks like ur gonna get punished, stop looping and react

i cant answer the other questions because i havent looked into them, (again, im no pit pro)
but i hope i helped :)

SSBA

Smash Rookie
i completelly agree with don (im no pit pro either)
but something i found almost nessesary to get a kill with pit without useing fsmash is to SH into a bair
this is most likely one of pits if not his best quick kill move.
also i have a question, wat is the best thing to do out of pits dtilt? is it best to juggle? or go up for a combo? r shud i just not use the move alll togather?
thanks

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
i completelly agree with don (im no pit pro either)
but something i found almost nessesary to get a kill with pit without useing fsmash is to SH into a bair
this is most likely one of pits if not his best quick kill move.
also i have a question, wat is the best thing to do out of pits dtilt? is it best to juggle? or go up for a combo? r shud i just not use the move alll togather?
thanks
WHAT!? not use the move all together?! dtilt is one of his fastest most conveniant moves. in my opinion you should go with a combo, uair or fair to start. (dont bair to save the attack for high percentages) wether you combo or juggle just depends on your style, the character ur facing should also be taken into acount.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
ok everyone thanks for the answers. i would like to say i more or less got the basics down its pretty much muscle memory right now learning fast is an advantage to having some friends who are very good at the game.

Esca: don't worry about my ability to spam i am a rob main so spamming is second nature to me.

so since i got the basics down more or less i want to start to try to use AT in my pit game. any suggestions on which ones i should try to add first, since i figure adding a little at a time makes more sense then trying to put all of them in and never mastering any of them. so the question is what AT should i try to learn first (aka which is the most important to pits game?)

Also about using WOI should it be used on the ground to cancel out attacks or should u do it in the air?

as a side note to SSBA pits bair seems by far and away his strongest kill move. i have killed my friends with it at stupidly low dmg in fact i killed a olimar of the side at smashville with it at around 40 (i might get my friend to upload the match even through my pit must look very bad since that was day 1) and killed my friends DK around 100 with it. also i would rate pits f-smash as his 3rd best killer since it can be di'ed out of and d-smash his 2nd best imo

edit: and thanks for the welcome :)

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
the question about WOIing: do it on the ground. if it is done in the air it can be punished and that is an easy kill/gimp.
only WOI in the air if it is ABSOLUTLEY necasary.
ex: ur getting juggled, and ur out of jumps, and ur at a kill percentage

as for AT´s: i started with wing refreshing because it is easy to learn and almost crucial to pit´s game. it is really his only AT that cant be called useless

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
is spamming side b a good option vs ice climbers?
it is never a good option. it might sound good because it creates a barrier and prevents a grab, but a smart icy player will just wai for the angle ring to end and grab you during ur ending lag. keep in mind that ice climers have other formidable attacks not just grabs.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
the question about WOIing: do it on the ground. if it is done in the air it can be punished and that is an easy kill/gimp.
only WOI in the air if it is ABSOLUTLEY necasary.
ex: ur getting juggled, and ur out of jumps, and ur at a kill percentage

as for AT´s: i started with wing refreshing because it is easy to learn and almost crucial to pit´s game. it is really his only AT that cant be called useless
thanks for the WOI info

edit: never mind found what wing refreshing is

Also anyone know if pit's hit-bubbles are being done and when they will be out?

thanks

dualseeker

Smash Ace
NAGACE: I disagree with spamming if your playing a formidable player. As they know how NOT to get frusterated and can punish you for that. And for your first AT, I recomend what Don said. I also think that you should learn Arrow Looping. This will improve your game A LOT!! Don't say that it is useless because IT WINS GAMES!! I hope you improve with your Pit ^__^.

And thank you for the Vid LaIo. This clears up a lot of things. I also love the music................... So inspiring!

Suyon

Smash Lord
So I have a question for R@vyn or other pits if they know how to do it.
I notice in your vids that you were running away then immediately pulled an arrow and shot them the other way. I can only do that with fox trotting but not for dashing/running. How exactly do you perform that?

LaIotun

Smash Apprentice
NAGACE: I disagree with spamming if your playing a formidable player. As they know how NOT to get frusterated and can punish you for that. And for your first AT, I recomend what Don said. I also think that you should learn Arrow Looping. This will improve your game A LOT!! Don't say that it is useless because IT WINS GAMES!! I hope you improve with your Pit ^__^.

And thank you for the Vid LaIo. This clears up a lot of things. I also love the music................... So inspiring!
You don't really see people win by arrow looping though

Top Bottom