• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Green Machine: A Luigi Strategy Guide (11/21/2012)

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
Well, from my experience I've learned a few things.

I agree with using F-Smash to go for kills, but a combo I often see people using that carries on from other characters is the good old spot dodge + down Smash.

It's not necessarily a bad habit, but if one was to mix in Up Smash to their game when they've just dodged an attack from behind, they'd be improving their game a nice amount. More range, speed, and power in a situation is always nice to have. I've never really gotten kills with Downsmash, but Upsmash has gotten me some surprise kills.

Depending on the lag of the attack, Down smash might be best for foes in front of you because I believe it has more range than upsmash and more speed because it takes time for Luigi's head to get from back to front during the Upsmash, while the Downsmash works the opposite way (front to back).

In that situation, and Downsmash seems to be about the same speed as a uptilted Fsmash (maybe faster, but you're saving that Fsmash for killshots anyway so you'll want to Dsmash if they're at lower percents).

If I'm right, than this means each of Luigi's smashes are very useful depending on the situation, which is an awesome luxury not all characters have.

Of course, Luigi's strength lies in the air, but even on the ground he's still very powerful.

solidxgeo

Smash Cadet
NNID
GeoDude
d-a-m-n this was helpfull! i could use a guide like this 2 get that extra edge that i need! luigi will be that much better! thanks! peace.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
I want to add another helpful tip.

For most, the side-dodge than dsmash is such a natural reaction in Brawl because usually it works an adds quick damage.

Yet, you usually miss against good players who are positioned behind you after the side-dodge.

I have been hitting almost 100% of the time when I dodge an attack with side-dodge an now pivot when need to so im facing my opponent simultaneously with the dsmash, since luigi sweeps in front of him first.

Just wanted to say that. And, is double jab +up-b better than single jab + up-B>? I use single.

Oh, an if you want a nice edge guard technique, use your Nado as a gimp killer, as if you hit them with the outside of the nado hitbox, they will fly in that direction.

Chaoscrunchy

Smash Rookie
I don't know if anyone has said this already but I do this lil trick that increases the range of luigi's down smash. It's a slight increase but sometimes that's all it takes. All you have to do is just walk towards your opponent and just before you get too close you use the down smash. If done correctly you'll do the smash but it will slide slightly, just like if you were stoping regularly.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I noticed a thread going around about the firelock but i couldn't help but notice something else more useful. (I figured this would be the best place for it) I like to use a dash attack lock instead. Seeing how Luigi has multiple hits when he does his dash attack and still moves forward. It's usually a pretty easy attack to escape from, but if you use it right before your opponent hits the ground, you can lock them into the attack. (similar to a fireball lock)

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I noticed a thread going around about the firelock but i couldn't help but notice something else more useful. (I figured this would be the best place for it) I like to use a dash attack lock instead. Seeing how Luigi has multiple hits when he does his dash attack and still moves forward. It's usually a pretty easy attack to escape from, but if you use it right before your opponent hits the ground, you can lock them into the attack. (similar to a fireball lock)
You should have posted it in Loucan's strats and discoveries.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I want to add another helpful tip.

For most, the side-dodge than dsmash is such a natural reaction in Brawl because usually it works an adds quick damage.

Yet, you usually miss against good players who are positioned behind you after the side-dodge.

I have been hitting almost 100% of the time when I dodge an attack with side-dodge an now pivot when need to so im facing my opponent simultaneously with the dsmash, since luigi sweeps in front of him first.

Just wanted to say that. And, is double jab +up-b better than single jab + up-B>? I use single.

Oh, an if you want a nice edge guard technique, use your Nado as a gimp killer, as if you hit them with the outside of the nado hitbox, they will fly in that direction.
I like that tip about pivoting before a dsmash, i'll keep that in mind.

I don't think a single jab or a double jab matters when working into an upB. I think the latter gives the opponent for time to react. Mindgames can be played with the single or double jab. i personally single jab for an UpB, and double jab to trick them into shielding (where i do a *gasp* shield grab). There is a lot of versatility to the jabs, so mix up your approaches to throw your opponent off.

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Just to add to the jab talk, try the crouch jab lock! It's really useful on a lot of characters. Jab crouch jab crouch dsmash works wonders. In fact, jab crouch jab crouch can go on for quite a while if you catch someone off guard.

Also use that running dsmash. (not dash!)

PolMex23

Smash Champion
So....

Don't try Jab up B against Snake, he falls to fast.

And DDD should be almost even or in Luigis favor. Trust me

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Just to add to the jab talk, try the crouch jab lock! It's really useful on a lot of characters. Jab crouch jab crouch dsmash works wonders. In fact, jab crouch jab crouch can go on for quite a while if you catch someone off guard.

Also use that running dsmash. (not dash!)
There is no jab crouch lock. If you are "locking" your opponent in it it means that they don't know how to DI.

There is a jab cancel.

Second what you said about Snake is true Polmex, and about the DDD matchup I think it should be slightly on DDD's favor but not by much (a slighter advantage than Luigi because of his "infinite", which I still haven't seen anyone pull it off consistently throughout the match.)

Karptroopa

Smash Apprentice
Very nice guide. Guess I need to back throw a whole lot more from now on.

And I didn't ever notice that pummel is so powerful! I'll mix 'em into all future grabs from now on.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
you should also add to the up b aka shoryuken part my infamous dtilt trip combo which basically goes like this.

jab>jab cancel>dtilt> (move a TINY bit forward) >SHORYUKEN

Genos

Smash Apprentice
Hello my green brethren. I'm here to ask a favor for Adapt. In his thread on Spike Rankings he's having some trouble testing Luigi's dair. Could you guys help him out and test it for him? If you want to do this then you should first post in his thread so he can tell you how he wants it done. I hope you guys can do this for him!

Note: I realize this has nothing to do with Luigi Strategy, but I figure it's better to post here rather than clutter up the board with a semi-useless topic.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
Hello my green brethren. I'm here to ask a favor for Adapt. In his thread on Spike Rankings he's having some trouble testing Luigi's dair. Could you guys help him out and test it for him? If you want to do this then you should first post in his thread so he can tell you how he wants it done. I hope you guys can do this for him!

Note: I realize this has nothing to do with Luigi Strategy, but I figure it's better to post here rather than clutter up the board with a semi-useless topic.
can you at least give a link to the thread? and dont worry by all means please post on the boards , we are an embracing community

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
can you at least give a link to the thread? and dont worry by all means please post on the boards , we are an embracing community
He did link the thread =D.

Watch the fine print lol.

EDIT: thx to everyone who has commented btw.

Genos

Smash Apprentice
Haha, thanks. I know some of the other boards get really pissed about threads they deem unnecessary.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Nice guide , Luigi is a great character, Hes my 2nd main and he is very fun to play with and he has amazing aerial game.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Hey Locuan, the Ike boards is currently evolving Ike’s metagame by exploring the possibilities of the grab release. Some chaingrabs were found there. So I was wondering if you or other Luigi mainers would be interested in reproducing our experiments and see if you find some chain grabs for Luigi as well! Here is the link to the thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201243

Oh! And why the Luigi boards hasn’t shown up for out Luigi matchup discussion at the Ike boards? I was hoping you would comment on my guide I’ve published there!

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey Locuan, the Ike boards is currently evolving Ike’s metagame by exploring the possibilities of the grab release. Some chaingrabs were found there. So I was wondering if you or other Luigi mainers would be interested in reproducing our experiments and see if you find some chain grabs for Luigi as well! Here is the link to the thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201243

Oh! And why the Luigi boards hasn’t shown up for out Luigi matchup discussion at the Ike boards? I was hoping you would comment on my guide I’ve published there!
I'll check up on it and I'll be sure to add my input sure enough. Been busy so I'll post when I get the chance.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Luigi is just awesome though. His combos are indescribable. His attacks are so powerful that he dwarfa Mario as the 'younger' brother. Don't you think?

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
Great guide! However, I have only one question; How do you do the DAC you mentioned using Luigi? Last time I checked, he couldn't do it. =o

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Great guide! However, I have only one question; How do you do the DAC you mentioned using Luigi? Last time I checked, he couldn't do it. =o
He can the thing is the timing is different, but if you prefer go with the Hyphen smash which is just running and charging plus holding your usmash and you'll slide a set distance as well.

Top Bottom