• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The `Greatest Thread in the Universe` Meta-Thread

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
You're seriously posting that everywhere lmao

It's like the fifth time...

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Dog it's first gen.

Also I've done only twice. :awesome: I'm happy you are keeping count with me though. I wanted to use it three times but now I'm watching JP vids so I'm done.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Prove me wrong, then. What makes either of those stories deviate from the typical tsundere crap JC pumps out?

EDIT: I can name a few tropes that do carry over:

- Poorly written tsundere where the main heroine is essentially a five year old in terms of behavior (Seriously how is anybody attracted to this)
- A much more attractive/mature childhood friend / later-introduced-character who also has feelings for the MC but despite the infinite number of ways she is better-suited to that person she loses out to the childlike one
- A protagonist who is amazingly dense in many ways
- Supporting characters who rarely do anything to advance the plot in any meaningful direction, or develop the main characters in any interesting way (LOL JC STAFF DEVELOPING CHARACTERS I know funny joke)
Posting all this as if the above points are objectively bad and hiding the fact it's purely your opinion. That's the basis of your argument, that what you think is bad and therefore not worth watching.

I only moderately enjoyed Toradora and haven't gotten to Yumekui, but I still think you're being overly critical. Who the hell watches 3-girls-1-guy anime expecting realistic relationship choices? Seriously. If you do and criticise others for not doing so...the whole point of watching animation is to see plots you would never see unravel in real life, and possibly to induge in said non-reality.

Do you want to empathise with a realistic protagonist? Watch a real life drama, or better yet, live life. If you sit there and think 'that girl is completely unattractive, this girl is objectively better and the protagonist not picking her means that this show is incredibly stupid', it ruins the damn enjoyment factor. The main character is not you and is instead a typical harem/romcom protagonist: they are probably overly kind, brash, sometimes or always tactless and eternally dense. Why would you complain about this unless you found it personally problematic? It's just a gag-machine and a point to build sexual tension around.

Trying to judge shows based on how deviant and non-cookie-cutter they are is not how you rate whether a show is good or not. Saying that it carries 'tropes' over is hardly a bad thing.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
More important things aside, who else is crying ***** tears due to Ano Hana?

inb4I'matasteless******withnoconceptofactualdrama

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Posting all this as if the above points are objectively bad and hiding the fact it's purely your opinion. That's the basis of your argument, that what you think is bad and therefore not worth watching.

I only moderately enjoyed Toradora and haven't gotten to Yumekui, but I still think you're being overly critical. Who the hell watches 3-girls-1-guy anime expecting realistic relationship choices? Seriously. If you do and criticise others for not doing so...the whole point of watching animation is to see plots you would never see unravel in real life, and possibly to induge in said non-reality.

Do you want to empathise with a realistic protagonist? Watch a real life drama, or better yet, live life. If you sit there and think 'that girl is completely unattractive, this girl is objectively better and the protagonist not picking her means that this show is incredibly stupid', it ruins the damn enjoyment factor. The main character is not you and is instead a typical harem/romcom protagonist: they are probably overly kind, brash, sometimes or always tactless and eternally dense. Why would you complain about this unless you found it personally problematic? It's just a gag-machine and a point to build sexual tension around.

Trying to judge shows based on how deviant and non-cookie-cutter they are is not how you rate whether a show is good or not. Saying that it carries 'tropes' over is hardly a bad thing.
It wouldn't be problematic if people recognized that such shows are churned fanservice and not quality anime. The gags, humor, and even the characters are recycled from series to to series. I will never stop being an open, ranting critic about them as long as anybody is vocal about the fact that they think there is any quality to be had in any of them.

On a personal note I also think anybody who can enjoy Zero no Tsukaima is mentally ill.

I guess if all you want from anime is the same thing, over and over, yeah, **** like that's fine, but that causes stagnation and such fanservice (You see a lot of it with the moeblob stuff too, like K-on! 2 and Ika Musume) is really beginning to hurt the industry, because only otaku in Japan actually watch that stuff, wheras other anime attempts to entertain a wider group of people (Stuff like Needless! / TTGL has a lot of typical anime tropes that draw in anime fans but also goes for the kids, for example).

Though, honestly, what any of us watch anime-wise won't affect the industry because none of us are paying for any of it, at least when such payment would affect whether or not it comes stateside.

EDIT: Is Ano Hana a show this season? Did I actually miss something of potential quality?

This makes two seasons in a row. Whoops.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
if its entertaining Ill watch it, haters gonna hate Thio
See, that's the thing

Why is the same show entertaining to you five or six different times

Side note: Only character in a loltsun anime voiced by Rie-chan that I can stand is Nagi from Hayate no Gokutu, because that show is hilarious.

solecalibur

Smash Master
I understand the quality of anime is a lot worse then what is was but the popular anime is popular for the reason most ppl acutally do watch it. I admit I watch what is considered **** anime to most ppl, but I still watch it cause its entertaining.

My little pony is not related to this post

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I understand the quality of anime is a lot worse then what is was but the popular anime is popular for the reason most ppl acutally do watch it. I admit I watch what is considered **** anime to most ppl, but I still watch it cause its entertaining.

My little pony is not related to this post
Twilight is popular.

According to you that mean's it's good.

8|

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Popularity = good is a horrible assumption and an even worse argument in any context ever. Look at Bleach.

You can have your points, I guess. It's pretty obvious that once something sells (ie. any tsundere ever), it will be reproduced en masse until it stops selling, and fanservice will never stop selling. Ever.

Ano Hana is brilliant and is this season, everyone should watch it, especially Zero.

Hayate S1 was a disappointment. So much lack of substance (yes, I understand how stupid it is to complain about lack of substance in Hayate). S2 was brilliant, movie plz,

Noobicidal

Smash Master
it was mainly to bait zero

i don't actually care if it gets another season lol
You should, as it was the best series of the Winter 2011 season. I'm really hoping it pulls a K-ON! and gets a 26 episode season plus another OVA.

I'm a sucker for fan service.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
God Shaya was funny til that last post.

K-on was good for its genre, that cant be denied.
... What?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

How can a show that, in its first season, essentially just rehashed the first 6 episodes in the second 6 with an additional character be considered good?

There are much better slice of life-style shows out there... Unless you're referring to the cute girls doing cute things genre, which is a genre that needs to die.

Also, real talk: Kyoto Animation KING OF RECYCLED MATERIAL, get at that travesty of a second Haruhi season.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
... What?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

How can a show that, in its first season, essentially just rehashed the first 6 episodes in the second 6 with an additional character be considered good?

There are much better slice of life-style shows out there... Unless you're referring to the cute girls doing cute things genre, which is a genre that needs to die.

Also, real talk: Kyoto Animation KING OF RECYCLED MATERIAL, get at that travesty of a second Haruhi season.
Bolded is true + I agree.

Sincere hate for fanservice and 'moe' characters woopwoop. Im surprised I can even keep watching SteinsGate. I just try to ignore Feyris and Mayuri, but really guys?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Bolded is true + I agree.

Sincere hate for fanservice and 'moe' characters woopwoop. Im surprised I can even keep watching SteinsGate. I just try to ignore Feyris and Mayuri, but really guys?
Stein's Gate is based on a H-VN, so it's kinda not really on the same playing field as the rest of the stuff.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Its just disappointing that there need to be those kinds of characters.

Classy characters can be cool too. I bet thats even true in a H-game.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Its just disappointing that there need to be those kinds of characters.

Classy characters can be cool too. I bet thats even true in a H-game.
The only H-games I've ever played where a character was "classy" were Fate and Tsukihime. Saber and Arcueid both show zero skin but manage to be quite attractive (As far as anime goes, at least), at least in the non-sex scenes.

I can't say the same for the rest of the game, though.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Sooo I am having a nostalgia filled summer~ Rewatching Blood+ and S-cry-ed with my sister and boyfriend for funsies.
Basically we are on episode 7 of Blood+ and the show has become a comedy because VOICE ACTING. (English dub on netflix. too good to pass up)
"No! Father! -emotion-" "...FATHER o___o -no emotion...at all-"

fkacyan

Smash Hero
The Japanese habit of saying people's names a lot does not translate well into English, especially with the poor VAs we tend to have.

Not really a fault of the industry, seiyuus are better over there because it's a HUGE industry where they eventually become models / singers / idols and here it's essentially "Record this anime that we want to sell to japanophiles."

Aaaaand now I'm going to rewatch B+. Love this show. Guilty pleasure. :3

Top Bottom