• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Great Debatemania! PHASE 3, ROUND 5 START!

Next Character for Debate

• Chrom

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • King K. Rool

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Roy

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Isaac

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Snake

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Krystal

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Lucas

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Secondary Sonic Rep

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
WELCOME TO DEBATEMANIA!

We have an awesome line up for you! We have two camps who are chomping at the bit to strut their stuff and prove their worth. On one side is Pro Pac-Man! We have:

ThatwasPeachy
ScatmanWorld25
Zzuxon
APC99

Due to a quick change in the roster, APC99 took Tepig2000's place and he gracefully bowed out of the contest.

Aaaaaaand on the other side is the Anti-Pac Man camp consisting of:

Dr. Flinn
Peeup
Jaytalks
Spears in Smash Bros.

Due to a lack of a 5th contender, I have decreased the team size to 4.

Some new faces, some familiar faces. All unproven, all geared up, all ready to
DEBATE!!!!

After this post, PHASE 2 will commence! Phase 2 consists of strengthening the team, communication, information gathering, research, argument/counter-argument building, and the character poll which will be posted up shortly.

Now, you may be wondering what the round topics will consist of. Well, fear no more because the staff poured our hearts and souls into creating a list of topics that will challenge everyone for the debate. They are as follows;

1. Opening Statements (Sides present their stances as a whole)
2. Pac-Man and Smash: Move Set, Character Balance, and Impact (How can Pac-Man be incorporated into Smash)
3. Pac-Man vs Namco and Nintendo Reps. (How does Pac-Man fare against other potential reps from both Namco and Nintendo?)
4. Popularity vs Nostalgia (Can Pac-Man get in on nostalgic feelings alone or does he need a large following?)
5. Closing Statements (Add anything further, both teams present their final stances)

Ladies and gents!!
Thank you all for your patience.

Teams, expect a PM from me shortly. Everyone, happy information gathering! You have until Monday at 6 am EST.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Aaaannnd~! They're off! Here starts the kick off folks! Let's see what these two teams will bring to the table!

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Before we get started let's see just how far these teams came. Over the next few minutes (days) we'll show the teams preparing during the information gathering session!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
My body is ready to watch these rookies go at it.

Make a veteran of this fine sport proud!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Popcooooorn! Peanuts! Get'cher popcorn and peanuts!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Popcooooorn! Peanuts! Get'cher popcorn and peanuts!
Ah! The smell of popcorn!

Makes me remember the good old times. When I used to do this crazy stuff.

Look at those rookies. They're all so green. Let's see if they have the potential to grow!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ah! The smell of popcorn!

Makes me remember the good old times. When I used to do this crazy stuff.

Look at those rookies. They're all so green. Let's see if they have the potential to grow!

One does not become a mass debater without some training!

Careful there, Swamp. This is a family program. :troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Bah, what do these youngins know about Smash debating? Back in my day we didn't have any officials or judges, we did it for the love of the sport! Sometimes we had to debate in the snow, walking uphill, with only our spirits and our determination to prove SmashChu wrong to keep us warm! We weren't just master debaters, we were cunning linguists!

That said, I'm going to put 20 on Pro Pac-Man. :troll:

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Hold him back ref! Hold em! The competitors just can't wait to get at each other, we may not make it to phase three!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
These rookies don't have respect for each other or the game.

This sport is dead!

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Twas a joke sir.
Which reminds me, I know very little about most of you competing. You guys should either post a short bio or send one to me/ one of the other commentators to reference during the debate or to preface the debate with.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Which reminds me, I know very little about most of you competing. You guys should either post a short bio or send one to me/ one of the other commentators to reference during the debate or to preface the debate with.
That would be best.

We could even have a hall of fame to honor all those that have participated in these events.

I'm more invested in this then I thought....

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
We respected Smashchu?

I didn't get the memo

EDIT: That avatar gets x1000 times better when I see it in this thread.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
You said that already! XD

What do you think about the hall of fame idea?
Inb4Funktriestomakeforgetfuljokes

I know but I just had to say it again. I think it's a good idea. We could use the bios of the winning team and what debate they won. We could have a MVP for a person who makes Hall of Fame multiples or if a specific team always forms we could write them down.

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
Long ago, before the age of Smashboards, before the age of Smash Bros, before the birth of many of the debaters present, there was a woman who sang. Her music was catchy, infectious, almost supernaturally so. Her name: Britney Spears. People lent their wealth to hear her voice, and for those without the money to do so, retail shops played Spears' music over their intercoms. Her singing soon made her legendary, and by the year Anno Domini 2000, she was seen as a true muse of music.

However, all legends must end, and that of Spears came quicker than most. The spirits of the pop culture of the 1980s were filled with discontent. The people of the turn of the millennium had little love for them. In their eyes, the fashion of the 1980s was embarrassing, its non-Japanese, non-Disney cartoons poorly written and animated, its music not really as good as that of the 1970s, and it came to light that Ronald Reagan had funded brutal dictators and warlords in 3rd-world countries. The Spirits of 80s Culture sent their greatest champion, Pac-Man, to disgrace the pop-culture icons of the late 1990s, so that Eighties culture could make a comeback in the 2010s.

Thanks to Pac-Man, the influence of the 1990s began to fade. 90s sitcoms ended their runs, with only the animated Simpsons and South Park averting the same fate. As the Pokemon franchise grew, rifts appeared between those who could find joy in the post-Kanto games and those who couldn't. Toonami showed a hundred episodes of Naruto in a row and didn't live to see the year's end. Bethesda bought Fallout and tried to make it into "Oblivion with guns". Power Rangers changed hands too, but nobody really cared since it was never as good as Super Sentai anyway. Even rap, once praised for its anti-establishment nature, became a mainstream, big budget affair. Soon, only Britney Spears remained.

Pac-Man had planned her downfall from the start; it was to be a brutal, sadistic affair. Spears was whisked to a world of destruction, replaced by a crude facsimile, in more ways than one. The doppelganger set about ruining her name, mocking the celebrity in her own body until the Spears family name was so tarnished that a comeback would be impossible.

Perhaps as divine retribution, the greatest musician of the 1980s was transformed into a pallid creature not unlike those featured in his music videos. Soon after, he actually did die.

The return of 1980s culture was marked by dozens of explosions, as Michael Bay went to work making an ever-increasing number of Transformers movies. This was soon followed by the transformation of half of all forum avatars on the Internet into colorful horses. Pac-Man was rewarded with his own television series, every bit as awful as the one he had in the Eighties. But Pac-Man had other goals in mind. No, he wished to take the place he once held as king of all video games! He turned his sights to the Super Smash Bros. series...
(cont'd)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hi everyone,

I hope researching is going good! Dig into those sources, google is your friend, and expect the unexpected! And bios of you guys would be great. I know some of you from your postings but that's about it.

Ill be in Tokyo this weekend for a vacation so I won't be active on Smashboards. The Commentators and Officials though can answer any questions and will be in charge of the thread in my absence. Tootled!

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
Spears quickly found that in her world, one had to fight their way to the top. Since she was not strong physically, she fell into despair. At that point, she looked up in despair. What she saw amazed her: It was a huge list of the greatest fighters the realm had ever known, raised high for all to see. Though the very top was occupied by swordsmen and anthromorphic, laser wielding creatures, many other top warriors did not appear to be skilled fighters. She saw a woman who fought in a dress using common household objects, such as turnips and golf clubs. She saw two Inuit children who used teamwork to wear down their foes. She saw some sort of pink sphere who was an expert singer like Spears and used its voice as a weapon. Finally, Spears was relieved to see that two of the weakest foes were an enormous, fire-breathing turtle and a powerful psychic being.

Spears soon began to fight, using the power of her songs to defeat countless foes. She soon learned that the top fighters were known as "Super Smash Bros.", and that by becoming the best of these fighters, she could return to her world and defeat the forces who had shaped her world to their own liking. By the year 2007 in our world, the list of Super Smash Bros. had expanded, and Britney Spears was among the elite.

Several years later, Pac-Man had succeeded in his cultural conquest, and began to draft his plan to take over the realm of video games. It would be simple; kill each of the Super Smash Bros, and use their position of power to maintain an iron fist over the rest of the video game industry. Everything would be his. He scoured the Internet for cheat codes, strategy guides, and maps in order to find the weaknesses of his foes. Suddenly he stopped, slack-jawed at a simple news post heading on a leading video game site:

"BRITNEY IN BRAWL!"

Pac-Man seethed in rage. "SPEARS? IN SMASH BROS.?!?" How could he let this happen? How had his rival attained the spot he so truly desired? In his rage, his power, his speed, all of his fighting abilities increased tenfold. He set out for the realm of video games.

Someone shouted, "The Pac is Back!"

Britney Spears turned around and saw a yellow spherical being approaching her. She clenched her microphone, knowing that she could not let this man succeed in his plans, that she had to destroy this creature.

Pop-culture no longer mattered. A showdown was imminent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom