• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Great Debatemania! PHASE 3, ROUND 5 START!

Next Character for Debate

• Chrom

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • King K. Rool

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Roy

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Isaac

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Snake

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Krystal

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Lucas

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Secondary Sonic Rep

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
The OP doesn't specify how round talking points are chosen. Re-read the OP, son.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
The Doctor is in and he's ready to throw down! This is what I like to see folks, this is what gets me up every morning! Wait is that another debater walking out here? With half of our combatants it's only a matter of time now.
Awright! Our first draft pick for the Against Pac-Man team!

This is the big leagues Madden, if he can't take me unloading on him he's needs to get out of here before the REAL heat comes in.
Hey, hey, I was just sayin'. This is the big leagues, ya got that right, but he's young and green. He's weighin' his options.

Smooth Criminal

John Madden

Oh, what's this?

We got another one? ThatWasPeachy? Another solid draft pick, for the For Pac-Man team!

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Why do you think it will take four days to prepare arguments? Of what exactly does a round consist? How do you decide what a round will be about? Are you going to make the round topics public ahead of time? That would make preparing arguments less of a crap shoot.
Were you that kid in cl If you left the thread get past day 1, you yourself mentioned the time and day, it would unfold more. To answer your questions, yes we will be giving the topics for each day to the public. We decide what the topics are about due to their level on controversy. A relevant example, Pac-man, will he get due to his popularity or is it just nostalgia glasses? 4 days of time is ample so we don't have to hear, "Ohhh, I didn't have" and this also compensates for people who have lives outside of SWF.

I'm ready to get down n dirty put me in coach.
Alright, son. Pick a side, any side, choose one.

I wanted to declare a philosophy major. I am deeply interested in the subject, I have taken several classes. The very notion of being a philosopher was always a dream of mine. However, I don't really know what the major offers in terms of a career. So now I am a law major. It is still interesting. Just not nearly as thought provoking.
Not to come across as a prick, as this isn't directed at you, it's a just a general statement, no one should care about your credentials in your actual life when comes to thread. Just be competent for your sake and your team's sake.

Or in my original words, I don't give a **** about your major and I don't give a **** about your philosophy.

You had better have everything prepared for the debate. 4 days of research, the expectations will be quite high. At that point, you should know every perspective inside and out. It does seem a little long; however, I am certain that it is to compensate for various schedules.
^ This.

Disclaimer: I thoroughly enjoy philosophy but this isn't the place for it. Thanks for understanding.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey, if you guys end up needing one more person, I'll join, but if other people want to do it. Let them.

That okay?

peeup

Smash Lord
I wanted to declare a philosophy major. I am deeply interested in the subject, I have taken several classes. The very notion of being a philosopher was always a dream of mine. However, I don't really know what the major offers in terms of a career. So now I am a law major. It is still interesting. Just not nearly as thought provoking.
Exactly why I want to pick up a legal studies minor. Philosophy is the only school subject I've taken that can hold my interest (except for film studies... yet another careerless major) and I don't really want to be a professor, which seems to be the only option other than something in law.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
"Superstar" Swampasaur is a Free Agent now! I'm sure he's had a lot of teams here on Smash World Forums asking him to sign contracts out the wazoo after his bout with The Divine Deity!

Wooooooow!

Smooth Criminal

John Madden

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The OP doesn't specify how round talking points are chosen. Re-read the OP, son.
Yes, I never addressed that. I'll be writing that in soon. Discussion points will be decided by the staff members and will be posted during that time so the debaters know what to expect.

As for the information gathering portion, it takes into account peoples schedules and gives people a small amount of wiggle room. We don't really need four days to gather information. However, with those four days, team members can polish and improve their cases. Plus, it gives time for us to decide the next character and discuss the Debate Thread.

And this is purely for fun. Debates do go on in the Social and Prediction threads but this is a more controlled and focused debate thread.

Morbi

Scavenger
Exactly why I want to pick up a legal studies minor. Philosophy is the only school subject I've taken that can hold my interest (except for film studies... yet another careerless major) and I don't really want to be a professor, which seems to be the only option other than something in law.
Precisely. The only possible career I could think of was being a professor, of course, that is what my professor was doing. That doesn't pertain to my interests. As you mentioned, philosophy is the only subject that can hold my interest as well. I just find it humorous that we have endured similar circumstances.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Peeup, what side are you taking?

Morbi

Scavenger
These slots are filling up fast; I might actually have to sit this one out. That is unfortunate. Is there any way I can reserve my slot for a Jigglypuff debate if that ever happens?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
You guys have little under two days to sign up! Then....it's go time!

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
We officially have a party people! Co-host and Co-founder of
! Moon Monkey!
I'm sure we can expect to see a battle that will rival the timeless match: Swampasuar Vs. TheDivineDiety!

It's drafting season, and the teams have been shaping up nicely so far!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This sounds interesting. Don't have much to say about Pac-Man, but I'll gladly follow, and I'll be sure to chime in big-time once Ridley passes by.

Just one thing, might it be possible to make the text in the OP another color than white? Using the white theme here, and I can't see anything unless I mark-up the text.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
This thread is gonna be epic. It's gonna be like what I imagined the roster prediction thread to be, IE minus all the personal insults, memes, and ignorance.

On a separate note, can't wait til Jigglypuff is up. Seriously, can Morbid and I reserve our Pro-Jiggs spots haha

Dr. Flinn

Smash Cadet
To many Jigglypuffs these days.

Jigglypuff will probably be confirmed by the time they make a Determania about him.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I would join, but I'm scared.
Do your best, everyone!

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Subscribing.
This thread is gonna be incredible. :rotfl:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'd like to argue for Pac-Man. This looks fun, I can't wait.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Pro Pac-Man is now 3 strong and growing! Awww man, the anti Pac-Man men better call in some back up or this fight may turn out entirely one sided!

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Pro Pac-Man is now 3 strong and growing! Awww man, the anti Pac-Man men better call in some back up or this fight may turn out entirely one sided!
I have decided to take my talents to Team Anti-Pacman.

Like any good player, I was weighing my money options first. Wait, that's not right...

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Smooth, maybe you were right about this jaytalks kid. He's got that fire in his belly and a great head on his shoulders! This is shaping up real nicely!

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
You guys are in the presence of a SWF-certified DEBATER. See that scale under my friend code? Pretty elite stuff right there.

...Let me know when Ghirahim comes up.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
"barely any work" is "work when nothing better to do" so probably MAYBE half an hour a night? idk
Well, that is something you would have to take up with your teammates.
You guys are in the presence of a SWF-certified DEBATER. See that scale under my friend code? Pretty elite stuff right there.

...Let me know when Ghirahim comes up.
Looking at your avi and thinking that it is in Adventure Time artwork style, I can hardly take you seriously.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Looking at your avi and thinking that it is in Adventure Time artwork style, I can hardly take you seriously.
That's a huge part of my dialectical strategy. Are you seriously an official for this?

Amateurs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom