- Jul 30, 2007
- Gunma, Japan
- 3DS FC
Welcome to the GREAT DEBATEMANIA!!!!
Come strut your stuff in this debate of debates. I am your host, Venus Seacrest and this is the Great Debatemania! Each week, a new character is announced for debate and members of our audience have the chance to form a team to argue for or against a character's chances of being in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS. We expect some lively debates in this thread and participating is extremely encouraged!! You can participate by entering the contest to argue for or against the character or as an audience member where liking team member posts awards the team points! Everyone can participate!!
We, the staff of the Great Debatemania, look forward to the fiery debates and will put forth our best effort to make this a great experience. Let's have a great time debating and bringing the best of what Smash Boards can offer!
Current Phase: Phase 3, Round 5: Closing Statements
Next Phase 4 Review/Announcement.
Next Phase Start: Friday, 7 am EST
1. Dr. Flinn
4. Spears in Smash Bros.
We will be arguing for and against Pac-Man. Please keep that in mind when volunteering.
Please become a Team Member!
Just say "I would like to argue for/against ________." or PM a Staff Member.
Table of Contents
1. Rules of the Debate
B. The Rules
2. The Schedule
A. The Break-Down
B. The Time-Line
3. How do I Participate?
A. For Debaters
B. For Audience Members
4. Staff Members
A. Host: Venus of the Desert Bloom
B. Official: FalKoopa
C. Official: xIblix
D. Commentator: Smooth Criminal
E. Commentator: Moon Monkey
F. Commentator: Disfunkshunal
5. Questions and Answers
Rules of the Debate
Due to the nature of debates, complete cooperation and understanding of the rules and guidelines is A MUST! Failing to do so will result in negative points, warnings, removal, and infractions.
2. Individual Negative Points (given to an individual)
3. Team-Wide Negative Points (given to the team as a whole)
3. Warning (from moderator)
4. Infraction (from moderator)
5. Banning (from admin)
1. Be civil. Negative points will be awarded in the debate goes south into troll/flame territory. Respect one another. No name calling, questioning ones intelligence, or talking yourself up/talking one down. First offenders will be warned and negative points. A second offense results in Team-Wide Negative Points. If it continues, the staff will remove the offensive team member from the game and possibly seek forum-wide punishment (infractions and bans).
2. Only 5 team members per team unless specified in the topic. If the team is unable to find five, it will be reduced to three, two, and then one. If no one is willing to find a team, the Debate Thread will go on vacation, pick a new topic, and start back up the next week. Team Members can choose to kick out a team member prior to the debate but it must be authenticated by a Staff Member. As well, they must find a replacement or they are disqualified.
3. Like votes from team members are not allowed and will result in negative points. That means team members are unable to like each others posts nor the other teams post. The staff will be watching this VERY closely.
4. There is no time limit to make an argument. However, if an argument is presented and ignored by the other team; this nay result in negative points. Please make sure to address the opponents posts. Please quote the other team so we know where the debate is heading. Negative points may given if a point or argument is not addressed during the judging process. Please be punctual with your responses and manage your team so every area is covered. Staff members will help regulate and direct the flow of debate.
5. Audience members are unable to debate during the actual debate. Attempting to do so will result in warnings . If it continues, the staff will seek forum-wide punishments in the form of warnings and infractions. Please keep this is mind. However, audience members can make short non-debate comments towards the arguments. These include "That is a very good point!", "Let's go Team _____!", etc. Audience members can also help direct the train of debate should it derail. These comments will not be counted as a point for the team though.
Audience members can participate by liking posts from team members. Please be thoughtful and don't machine gun like every post. Please be as unbiased as possible.
Please refrain from derailing or harassing the debate thread. Harassing/flaming/trolling team members is prohibited and will result in forum-wide punishment. Please help direct the flow of the debate and be a positive influence on it.
6. The commentators will signify when a round has begun and end. They will also help direct the debate. Audience members and debaters who try to take matters into his/her own hands will result in negative posts.
7. Please back up statements with credible sources.
8. Report any bad behavior, trolling, flaming, etc to the Debate Thread staff members/forum mods.
Due to the time-oriented structure of this debate thread, following the thread and its progress is paramount. Due to the schedules of people, a single debate can last two weeks. The first week will consist of team building and information gathering while the second week consists of the actual debate. The Debate Thread will abide by EST time (Eastern Standard Time)! Please keep that in mind!
I will break them down into phases:
Phase 1: Monday through Wednesday
A character will be announced from the Phase Two poll. For the first session of the Debate Thread, the staff will present the character to save time. From Monday to Wednesday, participants can volunteer to form a five-man team that will argue for or against the character in question. If we are unable to get more than one member, we will restrict both sides to three to one member. Once both camps have their members or on Wednesday, the next phase begins.
Phase 2: Wednesday to Sunday
Both teams have a chance to prepare arguments, counter-arguments, gather sources, and discuss with each other via IM, Skype, or Private Messages - whatever they feel comfortable with. Gather your sources, form your arguments, and prepare to bring everything you have to the debate table. During this time, discussion between/within the two teams is prohibited and will result in point reduction. However, the audience can discuss the progress of the debate, the thread, or previous debates. Audience members can make cases as well and provide information to both camps.
During this time, we will post up each round's talking points so the participants can better prepare for the debate. The round topics will be decided by the staff members and will reflect various aspects of the character in debate including likeliness, relative, importance, playability, etc. Round topics will also contain specific character discussions such as Ridley = too big debate or Chrom vs Roy, or Mewtwo: Will the Mega Versions be included. These are just examples and not set in stone.
As well, a poll be put up to decide the next character for the debate. Staff members will elect characters and add them to the poll: 6 characters altogether. The voting process ends on Sunday. Audience members are not allowed to submit characters for possible debate. However, lobbying is not prohibited.
Phase 3: Sunday to Monday
The final day. Any last minute research and preparation should be finished at this time. The thread will then gear up for the debate. The poll is finished and taken down.
Phase 4: Monday to Friday
These are the meat of the thread. The debate will begin on Monday and go through until Friday. Each day represents a round thus totaling to 5 rounds. Each round has a specific talking point to follow. Not following this talking point may hurt your overall score. During the debate, audience members are NOT allowed to participate whatsoever but may make comments. However, liking a characters post is how points will be awarded. Liking a users post will add a point to their team. After the end of each round, the likes are counted by the staff members and are presented at the end of each round. Finally, on Friday, the debate will end and the staff members will begin to count the total final votes.
Phase 5: Saturday to Sunday
On Saturday, the staff will count all of the votes and compile them. This can be considered as a rest day of sorts. Both audience members and team members can discuss the debate but nothing will be counted for the final tally. Please keep comments civil and on topic. During this time, the staff members will also discuss the debate and award points where they see fit. Finally. on Sunday, we the staff will present who one the debate, present the number of likes, and present their opinions.views on how the debate went.
Part 6: Sunday to Monday
The topic will be announced and the volunteer process will begin.
Monday - 5 pm ~ Wednesday - 5 pm
Part One: Character is announced/Volunteer is open
Wednesday 5:01 pm ~ Sunday 4:49 pm
Part Two: Information compilation
Sunday 5:00 pm to Monday 4:49 pm
Part Three: Final Day for Research and Preparation
Monday 5:00 pm ~ Tuesday 4:59 pm
Part Four: Debate Round 1
Tuesday 5:00 ~ Wednesday 4:59
Part Four: Debate Round 2
Wednesday 5:00 ~ Thursday 4:59
Part Four: Debate Round 3
Thursday 5:00 ~ Friday 4:59
Part Four: Debate Round 4
Monday 12:00 am ~ Friday 11:59 pm
Part Four: Tallying of Votes/Break
Saturday 12:00 am ~ Monday 4:59 pm
Part Five: Winner Announcement, new character announcement
How do I participate?
If you would like to participate, please sign up in the beginning of each debate session and signify that you will argue for or against (for exam. the debate topic is Ridley. Sign up for playable or non-playable Ridley). Please remember the times I assign for the debate. I will send a PM to each team to remind them when they will be debating. As well, remember to have your information and arguments ready to debate. Please debate in a timely manner. By saying you will volunteer for a team; please be professional as well as prepared. Not participating/bailing out will result in negative points for your team or even disqualification. If you are unable to partake in the debate after volunteering, please PM me during the first week and we will try to find a replacement.
For the Audience:
You can participate as well by liking a post. When you like a post, that will contribute to the team's score. At the end of each debate, the staff members will add up the number of likes that occurred during the debate. This will call the winner. Please be intelligent with your likes and don't like something just because it tickles your funny bone or you are trollin'.
"Bring the TNT!"
"Now when you get on that sideline, you have to unload on the other guy because you know he's going to unload on you!"
"What's better than watching a Metaknight vs. Metaknight doubles match? Everything. Watching a heated debate against SWF champions from across the world"
""There's nothing that gets my blood going more than a hot, steamy debate on a cold October day. This should be one hell of a ride folks!""
Questions and Answers
SEND IN YOUR Q and A's!!!!!