• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The General Bandai-Namco Discussion Thread

Which Bandai-Namco characters would you like to see get in?

• Total voters

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The brand synergy is a hit and miss but mostly a miss (Doom had an anniversary around TGA and bam! it's Sephiroth), Tales isn't the only game who celebrate their anniversary around this year and sometimes there's bigger fish to fry. I'm not buying that assumption even if it's easier to grasp.
Yeah, anniversaries are bunk. We didn't get any reveals to coincide with either of the Tales anniversary streams. If we get Lloyd or Yuri or whoever, it won't be because of anniversaries.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
so you agree with the idea that nintendo would chose to celebrate tales anniversary over their own big 3 for the sake of "brand synergy"?
I mean, Dragon Quest is big in Japan and they announce Hero as a fighter at E3 in 2019. Tales Of is like the 3rd best selling JRPG series in Japan so a Tales Of rep being saved to be announced at E3 isn't farfetched.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, Dragon Quest is big in Japan and they announce Hero as a fighter at E3 in 2019. Tales Of is like the 3rd best selling JRPG series in Japan so a Tales Of rep being saved to be announced at E3 isn't farfetched.
im not saying its not big, its the 7th biggest jrpg series thats nothing to sneeze at, im saying there are bigger things celebrating their anniversaries as well one of which is the biggest jrpg series

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
im not saying its not big, its the 7th biggest jrpg series thats nothing to sneeze at, im saying there are bigger things celebrating their anniversaries as well one of which is the biggest jrpg series
Yeah, but Nintendo might want to celebrate Tales Of's anniversary. We don't know.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
The thing is DQ and FF has something other than "big in Japan" and "is the top 5 JRPG in the freaking world" they each have monumental achievement going for them. DQ is the first JRPG ever and FF is the one that spread the word of the genre around the world. It's not like their reason for their inclusion is "oh! They are popular in Japan" which is such a broad statement with the exception of DQ of course, but for Tales you have to pull something harder.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The thing is DQ and FF has something other than "big in Japan" and "is the top 5 JRPG in the freaking world" they each have monumental achievement going for them. DQ is the first JRPG ever and FF is the one that spread the word of the genre around the world. It's not like their reason for their inclusion is "oh! They are popular in Japan" which is such a broad statement with the exception of DQ of course, but for Tales you have to pull something harder.
Well, if Nintendo can push Dragon Quest in the west, than they certainly can push Tales Of to be bigger here as well. Remember, while Dragon Quest is Square-Enix's 2nd best selling franchise and one their biggest IPs, most of the sales for that series is mainly in Japan as getting the Dragon Quest protagonists in Smash was a step in pushing and promoting Dragon Quest harder in the west. I remember hearing somewhere that one of Iwata's goals or wishes was to help make Dragon Quest bigger in the west.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Well, if Nintendo can push Dragon Quest in the west, than they certainly can push Tales Of to be bigger here as well. Remember, while Dragon Quest is Square-Enix's 2nd best selling franchise and one their biggest IPs, most of the sales for that series is mainly in Japan as getting the Dragon Quest protagonists in Smash was a step in pushing and promoting Dragon Quest harder in the west. I remember hearing somewhere that one of Iwata's goals or wishes was to help make Dragon Quest bigger in the west.
Then how big is Tales, DQ is already massively popular in Japan while Tales? Idk the series itself is comfortably sitting in the middle of moderate popularity on both sides, and also if you thinking about Japan then I remember hearing from Ayumi on the speculation thread where literally almost everyone in Japan want Super Robot Wars which is really popular in Japan and is made by Bandai Namco too (there's some OC in the game so no worries). And also you can literally say that to all "popular only in Japan game" which is why I want Touhou in Smash

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Then how big is Tales, DQ is already massively popular in Japan while Tales? Idk the series itself is comfortably sitting in the middle of moderate popularity on both sides, and also if you thinking about Japan then I remember hearing from Ayumi on the speculation thread where literally almost everyone in Japan want Super Robot Wars which is really popular in Japan and is made by Bandai Namco too (there's some OC in the game so no worries).
In terms of JRPGs, I have heard people say Tales Of is like in the top 5 in Japan. Plus Yuri was so popular in polls over there that they banned the character from them from what I've heard.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Lol don't get mad at me I'm just curious, being in top 3 is already even better position but on top 5.. at least you didn't say he's in the top 10.
Well, I don't know much about the JRPG genre and what I hear is talk from this community. Like I said, MattX20 MattX20 should be able to give you a better answer than me on this subject.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Lol don't get mad at me I'm just curious, being in top 3 is already even better position but on top 5.. at least you didn't say he's in the top 10.
Well, I don't know much about the JRPG genre and what I hear is talk from this community. Like I said, MattX20 MattX20 should be able to give you a better answer than me on this subject.
It's just as I said, as well as this https://web.archive.org/web/20150502224459/http://www.1up.com/previews/tales-tempest_2 The series is arguably the 3rd biggest JRPG series overall in Japan, and it's one of the reasons on top of the rather noteworthy fact that Tales is the only property to have appeared in Smash 4 that didn't return for Ultimate's base game or any of the DLC so far.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
It's just as I said, as well as this https://web.archive.org/web/20150502224459/http://www.1up.com/previews/tales-tempest_2 The series is arguably the 3rd biggest JRPG series overall in Japan, and it's one of the reasons on top of the rather noteworthy fact that Tales is the only property to have appeared in Smash 4 that didn't return for Ultimate's base game or any of the DLC so far.
From the link you're saying that archived review of a DS game is a strong point? Is there any more clearer article than just a brief line of text where the majority of the topic is about the DS game itself? It's pretty flimsy imo.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Best selling JRPG of all time in Japan (2004)*
Pkmn Blue/Red > Pkmn Gold/Silver > Pkmn Ruby/Sapphire > DQIII > DQVII > FFVII > FFVIII > DQVIII > DQVI > DQV > FFIX > DQV > FFVI > FFV > FFX > DQII > Pkmn FireRed/LeafGreen > Chrono Trigger > FFX-2 > DQ's Monsters > Pkmn Crystal > DQV > DQ > Secret of Mana > Super Mario RPG > FFIV > DQIII Remake > FFIII > Pkmn Emerald > FF Tactics > Romancing Saga 3 > DQ I & II > Romancing Saga 2

Best selling JRPG of all time in Japan (2009)*
Pkmn Red/Green/Blue/Yellow > Pkmn Gold/Silver > Pkmn Diamond/Pearl > Pkmn Ruby/Sapphire > FFVII > DQVII > DQIII > DQVIII > FFVIII > DQVI > DQIV > FFX > Pkmn FireRed/LeafGreen > DQ V > FFIX > FFVI > FFV > DQII > FFXII

Best selling JRPG of all time in Japan (2012)*
Pkmn Red/Green/Blue > Pkmn Gold/Silver > Pkmn Diamond/Pearl > Pokemon Black/White > Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire > Dragon Quest IX > Dragon Quest VII > Final Fantasy VII > Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver > Dragon Quest III > Dragon Quest VIII > Final Fantasy VIII

Best selling JRPG in Japan since 2001 to 2013*
Pkmn Diamond/Pearl > Pkmn Black/White > Pkmn Ruby/Sapphire > DQIX > DQVIII > Pkmn FireRed/LeafGreen > Pkmn Black2/White2 > Pkmn Platinum > FFX > FFXII > Pkmn Emerald > FFX-2 > FFXIII > DQV > Pkmn Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness > DQ Monsters: Joker > DQ VI > DQ Monsters: Joker 2 > DQ Monsters 2: Cobi’s Journey > DQVII > DQIV > DQV (again=error) > DQIV (again=error) > Inazuma Eleven 2 > Kingdom Hearts II > Inazuma Eleven 3 > Final Fantasy III

Best-selling JRPG series in the world (Wikipedia)*
Pokémon > Final Fantasy > Dragon Quest > [Megami Tensei + Persona] > Kingdom Hearts > Tales > Megami Tensei > Mario RPG > Yo-kai Watch > Persona > SaGa > Fire Emblem

Best-selling JRPG of the decade (2010-2019) in the world (2020)*
Pkmn Sun/Moon > PkmnX/Y > Pkmn Sword/Shield > Pkmn Black/White > Pkmn Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire > Pkmn: Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee > FFXV

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
So, what I'm getting at is that Tales barely appeared in the best selling JRPG of the decade for several years and only mentioned once but beat out by Monster Hunter, Souls and Kingdom Hearts (and SMT if you count the wiki). Very interesting

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So, what I'm getting at is that Tales barely appeared in the best selling JRPG of the decade for several years and only mentioned once but beat out by Monster Hunter, Souls and Kingdom Hearts (and SMT if you count the wiki). Very interesting
what i read said smt was right below tales

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Granted, they're counting SMT and Persona together. If we split them up, SMT is a couple million units behind Tales, and Persona is beaten out by stuff like Yo-Kai Watch and all the Dragon Ball RPGs put together.

It should also be noted that the lists skew away from the years where Tales' best-selling titles released, like Symphonia and Phantasia. Using sales against it doesn't really work in this case, as it's on a year-by-year basis and it doesn't count the years of it's strongest releases (Sans Vesperia Definitive Edition, and even then that only cracked a million recently).

Though, when we take Joker's addition and Monster Hunter's casual deconfirmation, I suppose it means sales aren't always the end-all be-all.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Granted, they're counting SMT and Persona together. If we split them up, SMT is a couple million units behind Tales, and Persona is beaten out by stuff like Yo-Kai Watch and all the Dragon Ball RPGs put together.

It should also be noted that the lists skew away from the years where Tales' best-selling titles released, like Symphonia and Phantasia. Using sales against it doesn't really work in this case, as it's on a year-by-year basis and it doesn't count the years of it's strongest releases (Sans Vesperia Definitive Edition, and even then that only cracked a million recently).

Though, when we take Joker's addition and Monster Hunter's casual deconfirmation, I suppose it means sales aren't always the end-all be-all.
neither is popularity as pyra and mythra so blatantly prove. Everything takes has going for it applies to a lot of other things

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I shared this in the Ms. Pac-Man thread too, but here are some recolors for her if anyone wants them.

Still holding out hope for an echo pass or something, even if I don't think it's super likely.
your own work?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
your own work?
Yeah, with a little help from my brother. It's based on an official render of her, but edited to have the correct proportions. I used official art as color references. If you're interested in seeing those references, you can find them here. I actually did 16 color variants in all, which you can find here at full size if you're interested.

EDIT: Here's a comparison between the original and the edit.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, with a little help from my brother. It's based on an official render of her, but edited to have the correct proportions. I used official art as color references. If you're interested in seeing those references, you can find them here. I actually did 16 color variants in all, which you can find here at full size if you're interested.

EDIT: Here's a comparison between the original and the edit.
well you’ve done a good job they look great

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's not really a reasonable counter argument as Ken is very iconic and popular too. It's another reason why Ms. Pac-Man or more Echos wasn't chosen.
it wasnt meant to be a counter argument it was meant to be a dig at sakurai's bias. which probably doesnt apply to ken but certainly applies to the two from the last game

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
it wasnt meant to be a counter argument it was meant to be a dig at sakurai's bias. which probably doesnt apply to ken but certainly applies to the two from the last game
But is there any signs of Sakurai showning bias for Ken? Because I don't really think there is.

Top Bottom